The End of Summer

By _Iristpwk

"I'm still living for you, love." 89 unforgettable summer nights 2 years later Different soul same comfort... More

- Note
- One
- Two
- Three
- Four
- Five
- Six
- Seven
- Eight
- Nine
- Ten
- Eleven
- Tweleve
- Thirteen
- Fourteen
- Fifteen
- Sixteen
- Seventeen
- Eighteen
- Twenty
- Twenty One
- Twenty two
- Twenty Three
- Twenty Four
- Twenty Five
- Twenty Six
- Twenty Seven
- Twenty Eight
- Twenty Nine
- Thirty
- Thirty One
- Thirty Two
- Thirty Three

- Nineteen

151 4 1
By _Iristpwk

(This is a continuation from the last chapter)

Adisyn Kay Wise

My heart continues to race as I stare at the three moving dots

Reed Auclair

Hey

It's Adisyn

Can we talk?

Surprised you bothered to text

Do you need something?

And I gave you my work number

Yeah I assumed

I was wondering if we're going by last name terms again?

•••

I come up with a stupid but somewhat valid question for us to spark a conversation?

Angel looks at me and looks tempted to take my phone and call Reed.

•••

Reed Auclair

I don't know

Why?

Because all of a sudden you're calling me Wise so I would like to know what to refer you as

Refer me as Reed

I refer to you as Adisyn

No you dont?

This morning you kept referring to me as Wise not Adisyn?

I refer you as Wise to Caitlyn and other workers

You referred me to me as Auclair? Mr Auclair to be exact

Only because you did the same?

You know how hard it's been to constantly have to deal with you? Respectfully Reed you are too confusing to work with! I don't know what happened but all of a sudden you are so damn cold with me? We were getting along  so well and now... now you don't even want to look at me at work? I would really appreciate it if you would tell what I did to get you this mad cause it's so fucking hard to try to like you!

•••

He looked at the text but didn't respond.

He was typing because the three little dots showed up but they went away almost immediately?

•••

It's exhausting having to work with someone who is so damn selfish

My point is that I work with you and I opened up to you which I still believe was the wine I had and when I try to send apologies you get so defensive? The champagne was an apology and I thought you would get the hint

Do you have an idea of how stressful it is to work with you when I have no main idea what you want or need? You need to talk to me and not get mad over small little things? I've been busy. End of story.

•••

"Thank you," I dismiss myself from the table and grab my bag hugging Angel goodbye and as well as Ana.

I'm going to text Ezra and tell him to come pick me up. I take out my phone and when I press messages I'm directed towards Reed's and I's messages. I reread them as I start to walk to a small little bench.

I swear I saw him and I got a feeling of adrenaline? I got a feeling of wanting to go up to him and yell at him and take out everything he makes me feel out on him? I want to tell him how much I hate him but there's that small problem forbidding me to do so.

He's correct.

He's right.

He has opened up to me and is clear he wants the best for me, he has invited me to a dinner party where so many people were amazed by my work. He has shown me his apartment and he bought me a dress and told my a little about his childhood but I haven't.

"Fine." I whisper to myself trying to convince myself as I walk up to him.

He's sitting down on the bench with a cigarette between his fingers reaching to his lips. He's on his phone and his leg is bouncing.

"I'm sorry," I say taking a deep breath not sure if I should've said it.

He looks up from his phone and smirks when he sees me. "Sorry? That's new in your vocabulary," He says with obvious frustration in his voice.

"I'm apologizing and it would be amazing if you didn't give me such a bitchy attitude,"

"What are you sorry for?"

"Everything," I say but it doesn't convince him. "I'm sorry for being a bitch, I'm sorry for possibly getting you out of your comfort zone, I'm sorry for not doing my part — and I'm sorry for everything I've been doing lately."

He smiles "I'm sorry for calling you a selfish stupid bitch,"

"When did you call me that?"

"Right now in my mind," He smiles tapping the spot next to him as a sign for me to sit down.

I look at him pull out the cig from his lips and blowing out a smoke bubble. "Did you know smoking is bad for you?" I say trying to catch some conversation.

He looks over at me "It can kill you," I try to clarify and clear my throat when I notice he hasn't taken his eyes off me. His eyes go up and down to my eyes to my lips...

"You can die anytime for any reason," He says before looking ahead again.

"True... but what if every cigarette you smoked cut off a day in your life?"

He scoffs "Then why the hell am I sitting here? I should be buying packs!"

I breathe a laugh shaking my head "I've never smoked much," He nods "Do you smoke a lot?"

He shakes his head but breathes a laugh and then responds. "You said sorry to me..."

I roll my eyes and scoff "It made your ego bigger didn't it?"

He nods proudly "Very much did," We both smile but don't say anything else and just look straight ahead.

"I should go," I say looking at my watch.

He doesn't say anything but just nods and I start to walk.

The more I walk the more do I feel someone catching up to me. Their steps just a little behind mine.

I walk faster trying to get away.

"It's me idiot!" He responds as he catches up.

"I know,"

He catches up to me and grabs my arm trying to stop me "Why are you walking so fast? It's freezing and you're wearing heels?"

I look down at my shoes and realize my heels are still on! Shit! I didn't change my shoes! "And?"

"It's freezing and you're wearing heels,"

"I'm okay,"

He looks at me and takes a second to say something else "You're shivering?" I gulp and shrug it off by shaking my head. "You're so damn stubborn," He says and in the corner of my eye I can see him take off his coat. "Here, put this on."

"No, I'm okay."

"Who's going to pick you up?"

I shrug "Maybe Ezra or maybe I will call an Uber?"

I can see him rolling his eyes trying to make me stop but instead he just shoved the coat on my stomach making me grab it and put it on me. "By the time either of them get here you will be dead because on how cold it is!"

I shrug "I will be fine,"

He rolls his eyes again "Let's just go to my car, it's much warmer in there."

"No, thank you." I try to decline anything that has to do with him. "I want water,"

"I have water in my car," He says as if I have no excuses. Oh shit!

Ummm... think Adisyn think! I frown my brows trying to think "I would like to lay down?"

"You can lie down in my car? You won't be driving you know?" Stop solving my excuses! Take the damn hint already!

I sigh "And I'm also hungry," That's not an excuse that's the truth.

"I will make food for us, just like last time?"

"Okay Reed, take the hint! I don't want to go to your place,"

He looks dramatically offended "Adisyn, your friends left, you're obviously cold and hungry and your obviously too stubborn to take my invitation?" I shrug not caring what he says "You told me you were going to try to get along with me and this is—"

"You are a complete arrogant asshole!" I say taking off the coat and shoving it at him "Where's your car?" He looks happy as if he has accomplished a mission.

I follow him as he walks a little ahead of me "And that's the last time you use my words against me because I'm sure you would hate it if I did the same," He hums in response as I continue to follow him.

He opens the door for me "I'm not a complete arrogant asshole," He says mocking my words. "I have manners,"

"That's very much bare minimum,"

"And you coming with me is bare minimum," He says in response as if he didn't just use my words against me?

•••

"I guess I should also apologize for the way I acted this morning," He says looking towards the road but looking at me during times.

"I think you should."

He smirks "Still mad?"

"Not exactly just disappointed,"

"Well then I'm sorry for the way I acted and I'm sorry for offending you."

I smile and I feel like I just accomplished something big in life? "Well thank you,"

He nods and keeps looking ahead of the road driving to his apartment.

I feel like I really should say at least something about me to him? Even the smallest thing. Something that would just show that I'm trying because I really am? And it doesn't have to be personal but it could just be something that I wouldn't say in a regular conversation?

I believe that could make it up to him? Or maybe even just help with the process?

If there's any progress whatsoever..?

I sigh making him look but look back at the road. "I prefer vanilla, I don't like ice cream cake it's always soggy and I don't understand why put ice cream inside cake? I dislike white chocolate, I think cherry pie is disgusting, I believe pineapple does not belong on pizza, I like coffee but I don't like super dark coffee because I get headaches, I get carsick super easily for some reason? I love strawberries! I hate tomatoes and onions, I wake up at 5 or 6, I go to bed anywhere near 11 or 12. I like apple pie but can't seem to make it? I can only make cherry pie and it comes out perfect which is ironic! And I have an obsession with Taylor Swift!" I let out a deep breath because I said all that in one breath.

He looks satisfied. He looks happy? Which is scary? He's smiling at me? "I like both equally the same, I like ice cream cake, I also dislike white chocolate and cherry pie, I agree pineapple does not belong on pizza. I like both, I don't get carsick easily, strawberries are okay? I like tomatoes and onions and you are incredibly weird for not liking them. I wake up at any time and go to sleep at any time? I like apple pie too and I can't make either if that makes you feel any better and I don't listen to Taylor everyday but when I'm with Rue I do so I have some of her songs stuck in my brain,"

I'm satisfied and I believe I have the same smile he had when I told him.

"I prefer red candies over blue candies, red m&m's taste better for some reason? The candy flavor of orange is absolutely disgusting but I like oranges, grape flavor tastes like medicine, I love cherries but not cherry pie? I pretty much listen to music while doing anything and that includes reading. I like the feeling of being on task and I have a hate and love relationship with the adrenaline I receive by working on shows!"

"I prefer blue candies, that proves the fact you're weird it's pure chocolate? I agree and I agree, I like cherries too. I listen to music as well, a lot actually! I like that feeling as well and I also hate but love it!"

I am fairly very much enjoying this!

I smile at him but I decide not to continue as I realize we're already at his apartment.

"Come on let's go," He doesn't open my door — what happened to having manners?

I follow him but before we enter he grabs my arm and holds me back. Very lightly he goes next to my ear making me gulp... I feel his warm breathing against my neck and he licks his lips. "Don't embarrass me and say hello to them. Just walk." He lets go of my arm and starts walking.

Okay...

I take a deep breath before starting to walk behind him. All the staff members immediately start saying good evening and hello mr Auclair and have a nice evening and all these things that seem so nice? They treat him like he's a king here and really he owns this place which I can see why they're so nice?

I follow him to the elevator and I lean back on the walls as he puts his hands in his pockets waiting to get to the floor.

"Why don't you want me to say hello?"

"Because,"

"Because why?"

"If I wasn't a guy who is wealthy, owns this place, a CEO — if I was pretty much a no body in this industry they wouldn't be saying hello." He says furrowing his brows looking somewhat confused on how I don't understand. Well sorry I'm not crazy rich and own all these hotels and apartments!

"How do you—"

"Theo isn't crazy rich and they don't pay attention to him, the people who come to this place are rich but they certainly aren't as well known and they don't act like that." I nod starting to understand and even if I didn't I would still nod because he's cooking me pasta and that's what I want right now!

The elevator dings and we get out heading to his apartment, he opens the door and once again the minty air comes around.

The fresh mint air that is so relaxing to smell comes back again, it's a nice mint scent?

This place is pretty much always clean from what I can see?

"Come on, I will go cook you pasta. And take off your heels, you must be tired!"

"No I'm—"

"Adisyn, you have blisters because of your heels I'm not stupid, take them off and I will get you a spare of clothes. Umm you can come up or go wait in the kitchen?" It's not an offer it's pretty much a demand?

I follow him upstairs and he turns on his bedroom lights. The bed looks clean and it's not messy, it's well put but one of his pillow is on the ground so he picks it up and throws it on the bed before yawning.

He opens one of his drawers and grabs me a pair of socks "Do you want fluffy socks or regular socks?"

"Regular," He nods and gets me regular socks.

He walks to the side to another drawer and I start to look around — he has papers on his desk and he has a mug with brown stains from what I believe is coffee? He has a half opened chocolate bar and a cookie.

"Do you want a sweater or a hoodie?"

"Oh no I'm—"

"Sweater or hoodie?" He demands once again looking at me looking so tired?

"Hoodie works," He grabs a black hoodie and throws it at me.

"Come on, let's go get food I'm starving!"

I finish putting on the socks and quickly plop on the hoodie that once again smells like him?

•••

"I prefer cloudy days,"

He nods while stirring something on the stove and whatever he's mixing smells so damn good? My mouth is watering but I take a sip of the water and tap my foot.

"Apple juice or orange juice?"

I think "Apple juice if it's cold, if it's room temperate it tastes like sugared water?"

"So apple juice?"

I think about it once again "I think both but they both have to be really cold?"

"Yeah I think I like both too, honestly it kinda just depends on how I'm feeling you know?" I nod as he continues to stir whatever he's making.

"I used to hate apple juice when I was little," I say making him look and humming in response as a way to say continue. "It tasted so — weird? I don't know but I never really enjoyed it until I got to high school?"

"You graduated early correct?"

"Yeah, I was a junior."

He nods to my response. "What did your parents think?" He follows up my response with a question I knew he was going to give me. A question that isn't too personal but it's definitely in the personal section.

"They weren't impressed. They didn't care, didn't even bother to say congratulations." I hated that day. I hated the day I graduated because of that same damn reason "You know, instead my 7th grade English and math teacher came... and my 8th grade science teacher did so too... oh and my kindergarten teacher so they were like my parents that day?" I love the idea I stayed close to them and I certainly love the idea they took their time to come, even my kindergarten teacher came which is insane!

"They all came?"

I nod "They all came and told me how proud they were of me and how they would love to see me before college," I smile thinking of the memories. "Two days before I left to New York they all joined together to make me a small goodbye party and wish me luck,"

"So... were you okay around that time?" He asks referring to my mental being.

I take a minute to remember "I was — I guess you could say I wasn't okay but I was okay enough to go live by myself?" He hums in response "What about you? How were you when you moved to New York?"

"I was pretty bad I guess? I had just started smoking again and going to parties — underage drinking at all these parties and smoking and — I was coping you could say?" I feel like he had so much worse than I did. "I was okay-ish though? Compared to others—"

"Don't do that," I interrupt him when he says compared to others because I feel like I know what he's going to say? He looks confused though "Don't invalidate your feelings because you weren't trying to do other things, you still had it bad and honestly everyone has it bad."

He doesn't respond and for a couple of minutes there's a thick wall of silence in between him and I.

I don't say anything else because I believe it's best for us to stay in silence until there's an actual conversation.

I yawn and at that moment he says something "When I was 15-16 I was in high school and I realized I wasn't going to be able to get out of the family business and that's when I started to hate my life." I don't say anything because I feel like he wants to say more but can't seem to do so. "I graduated high school and that's when I got a one month break and moved to New York."

I at least got to choose my position. But he had his whole future held for him, he had nothing to say and he had no word if he even wanted to do it. He doesn't have a word in what he does. He can't say anything. Whatever happens happens.

"I think Rue will grow up and know more about the family business and then she will ultimately decide she doesn't want anything to do with it."

"Does she want something to do with it?"

He shrugs "She's confusing I guess? She wants something in the field of business or law so I guess I'll just have to see what she ends up choosing but one thing for sure is whatever she chooses I'm protecting her from my parents."

"That's nice of you," I was about to say you're a good brother but then I remembered how that went last time.

"She's a good sister." He says handing me a plate of pasta.

•••

Reed

We sit in silence eating the pasta I cooked for her.

She sits in silence not saying anything looking at her phone and the only sound in the room is the raking of the forks hitting the plates once in a while.

It torments me that I got so close to her.

I got so close to her I started sharing my own personal things and I felt like I had to write a letter to Reece which is so fucking stupid? It felt like I had to write him a letter and explain to him how Adisyn is doing?

I wrote him a letter that later on got torn apart.

I then decided to read Reece's letters one more time.

One more time before deciding what I should do.

'Help her if you can,' 'Don't hurt her.' 'Give her all she deserves.' 'Do what I tried to do.'

For all the times I sent Adisyn a letter pretending Reece was still alive, for all those times that I regret messing around with Adisyn and now I have to actually face her. The worst part is that I never saw why Reece cared for her so much to a point he would do so many things for her until I actually met Adisyn.

I had to meet Adisyn to know why he showed so much love for her when it was obvious she wasn't deeply in love?

It took me a while to read the letters again and understand that there is nothing wrong. I'm doing what's best for Adisyn and only Adisyn and one thing that is best for Adisyn is never mentioning Reece to her.

•••
Flashback
2 years ago

"We should go to Paris for some time? It can be a good vacation for the both of us?" I continue to watch him... I can't tell who she is? I don't recognize her? "Reed? Are you listening to me?" Julia says one more time trying to draw some attention but all my attention is at Reece and the girl.

"Sorry, what were you saying?"

She sighs "I was saying we should go to Paris?"

Oh no.

"Jules, you really wanna go to Paris right now? I mean so many things have happened over the past year, are you sure Paris is the place you want to go?" She nods repeatedly trying to draw some sense into me. "It seems exhausting." I bite the strawberry but continue to look at the girl.

She goes anywhere near his shoulders, long dark brown hair, a summer white dress, she has her hair in long braids with little flowers.

"But it will be fun? And besides, we need some time together, you and I, no one else. Not your dad, not your mom, not your brother, not your sister — no one but you and I..." She says with a smile that says everything.

She could give me one smile and it will melt me completely.

"Jules, I would love to go to Paris but not right now. I'm to busy,"

"That's the thing! When are you giving yourself a break?"

I roll my eyes "Soon, not now but soon. And besides, I'm doing fine?"

"I felt you come home last night." That's all she needs to say to make my face go pale. Those 7 words say so much... I gulp and stare at her. "Paris would be like a distraction? We have two more months! Let's go to Paris for one month and then go back to New York!"

"I will have to see,"

"Then Italy?"

"Italy?" I ask sounding tired of her suggestions.

She nods happily "Yeah? You haven't seen your grandparents in forever!"

"I adore my grandparents but I'm busy right now and I doubt they want to see me right now. They're going to tell me that I should know better blah blah blah and it's like having my parents in front of me but an older version," She laughs a little which makes her spill some champagne.

I wipe it off with my thumb and look at her. "We'll go to Paris for two weeks before we leave to New York." I say making her smile. I simply cannot say no to her when she gives me that passionate smile.

"You will enjoy a break, I promise." She leans in and kisses me. My hand reaches to her chin lifting her up a little. Her hand goes behind my head with a grip on my hair and I lower my hand to her neck.

The taste of champagne and strawberries float around as she continues to kiss me cherishing every moment we have together. Cherishing every kiss we ever have and every laugh and smile we give.

Her lips are so soft but bitter from the alcohol. The strawberries she was eating give off a sweet sour-ish taste to the kiss.

I could kiss this women forever and simply never get tired of her. She's the only person in this world who I would stay with my entire life and never get bored of.

How could it be possible a soul is so different but so alike from oneself?

And there in between of that kiss she says it.

I love you.

The three words that seem to be haunting me.

The three words that seem so effortlessly easy to say and she says them like she means it, they roll out her tongue without doubt or any stutter.

And for some bizarre reason I start to feel different?

In between the kiss I loose my air and loose the butterflies and instead of the butterflies I feel a sense of adrenaline fly by stronger than the butterflies she gives me. I continue to kiss her with those three words repeating in my mind.

Shit.

•••
Presence

"Tomorrow is the—" I stop my sentence looking up at her and realizing she has fallen asleep.

Her head on the counter and her hand is holding her phone while the other is holding the fork to the pasta. She looks exhausted and her hair is messed up, there's pieces sticking out of her hair.

She has long lashes that slightly cover her eye bags and all though it slightly covers them you can still notice her eye bags are dark.

I think she hasn't slept?

Guess I will have a roommate again...

•••
Adisyn Kay Wise

Droplets.

Small water droplets fall to my cheeks, they run down my throat leaving behind a light tickle. Another one falls on my forehead sprinting down to my eyebrow. And another, and another, and another?

I shuffle around and wipe off one that just fell below my eye. I shuffle around one more time and my hand slides on a stomach, it travels rapidly across the body feeling the pressed muscles. A breathy laugh released from them, another droplet falls and they rub their thumb wiping it off.

"Fuck off, Ez! Let me sleep, we'll talk later!" I yawn reaching out for the sheets bringing them up to my shoulders. I move to the other side.

An amused chuckle "I'm not Ez? You slept with the wrong person, darling."

Fuck.

I didn't sleep with him did I?

I immediately turn my body around and my eyes snap open to him! Fuck.

An amused smirk planted on his face only grows bigger as my worried, shocked expression takes over me. I look up and down at him, his dark brown hair tangled and wet.

He's shirtless and is wearing dark grey sweats looking at me. His elbow on his pillow and his hand holding up his head as he looks at me with a smirk. A tiny smirk that only grows bigger as I become more terrified with myself!

I gulp.

I didn't sleep with him right?

I couldn't have!

I look down at my black dress and the hoodie he gave me.

I'm still dressed.

"I'm joking!" He finally says realizing how scared I look. "If I had fucked you, you would remember it... even if you didn't your legs would hurt even to move them." He smirks and continues to look at me.

I gulp. I look around and look back at him trying not to look anywhere but his face... why is it so hard to avoid my eyes going to his abs? I gulp once again and lick my lips.

He lets out a small oh under his breath and reaches out to his nightstand. "I brought you some coffee," He gives me the mug "Just how you like it!"

I take it and take a small sip. It's warm. "Were you watching me sleep?" I say with a terrified tone.

He rolls his eyes "I'm not a creep. I took a shower came back, got into bed and you were still asleep so I decided to see if I could wake you up."

"And you told me I slept with the wrong person?" I say in a higher tone.

"It's too early to yell!" He complains as I continue to look at him in disbelief. "Don't worry, I'm not interested in you in that way." Good. Very good! That sounds great!

"And I'm not interested in you either."

"Good."

"Good." I say back. I notice how he started to look annoyed "Did that affect your ego, Reed?"

"No but I'm not so sure about yours," He says continuing to look at me with this expression I can't exactly pinpoint to. "Adisyn, you're absolutely stunning." What. "You're charming and I'm sure you're aware." Where are you going with this?

"You're attractive Adisyn I must admit that." I'm so terrified right now... I gulp feeling the adrenaline kick in. All these sort of emotions came in...

"You're attractive in my mind, Adisyn, but I will never find you attractive so deeply it's in my heart. I believe you're a stunning women but I'm not in love nor have feelings for you."

"Oh thank god!" I say out loud putting my hand in my chest breathing out. Shit! Shit! Shit! I said that out loud? That was supposed to be in my mind! My eyes widen and my face probably got pale.

"I'm sorry?"

"No no! That wasn't supposed to come out!" I smile a little hiding a laugh. "But now that it did I owe you an explanation..." I smile a little more "I meant that as in a yay you don't like me! And I feel the same way!" I actually do! I don't have to lie about that!

"I believe you're attractive and have your good looks and I can see why women want you but I'm not part of them... I just believe you have good looks."

"Good!"

"Yeah," I take another sip of the coffee and look at the red digital clock. "Oh wow I really fell asleep?"

He nods "You fell asleep and didn't even finish your food, I took you up to the bed and stayed here."

"Thank you," I yawn looking around his room. "You have a clean room,"

He looks around with me "Yeah I try to keep it as clean as possible, it's really ever just me and my friends,"

"My room consists of clean and messy?" His browns furrow. "Sometimes it's messy because my friends come over and we make a mess?"

"Understandable."

"Reed," He hums in response "Thank you for not being the biggest asshole out there."

He smirks "I think I will take that as a compliment." I nod "And thank you for not being such a bitch always." I nod and smile at him.

We can get along if we try?

Authors Note -

Spoiler alert — How would we like drunk Reed? (No love confessions YET)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 139 40
I'm not even safe in my own mind. #1 in 2amthoughts 8/13/2018
126 1 31
I can remember the fear of the tree falling in front of my car, after it was struck by lightning. I can remember how it felt, cold rain on a summer a...
3.8K 88 34
First love never dies, they say. So when he returns after 12 long years, she suddenly realizes she's still in love with him. She has always been, unc...
247K 6.7K 53
some things, is best not to be explained. My very first story.