Luna Queen's Fury

By Siberiantiggy

"How well can you know an abomination in sheep's clothing?" A chilling confession from a long-time hidden ene... More

Preface
1 Too Late...
2 Uncharted Territory
3 Dreams that Never Were
4 Stubborn
5 Lalune Vitalis
7 Inbetween
8 Idiot
9 It's Time
10 What Am I to You?
11 Oranges
12 Sugar
13 Rotten
14 Pieces
15 Rusty
16 Roots
17 Gremlins
18 Ripple
19 Sage
20 Broken Barriers
21 Change Is In The Air...
22 Sick
23 Lurking
24 Nice Try
25 Preparation
26 The Little Things...
27 Little Fires
28 Never Too Busy For You
29 They're Coming
30 Imposters
31 Lies
32 Burn It Down
33 Play Nice...
34 House of Cards
35 What Could Go Wrong?
36 It's Time!
37 Breathe
38 At Last
39 Fairytale
40 Mommy!!!
Forgotten Christmas Bonus!

6 Formidable

8.9K 652 180
By Siberiantiggy

Chris

"Killed your Queen, that's what!" Tilly replies without remorse. "Without that flower... There's nothing to be done."

My heart stops, hearing the woman who was supposed to hold our miracle say all hope is gone. Her face is flushed red, warning of her temper that is barely under control, matching her raised voice.

"There has to be something-"

"Are you an herbalist?" she cuts in, narrowing her gaze as she looks me over. "I've got plants older than you pup, don't tell me how to do my job!"

"Tilliandra!" Hale snaps, letting his Alpha tone drip through every syllable. "Chris is the KING and her mate, you will show him the respect and compassion due!"

Her eyes widen as she realizes that she may have overstepped but her surprise lasts only briefly before she practically pouts. "Disrespect was unintentional, hearing this buffoon has blundered our best chance of saving baby Lya...Goddess above, we did our best!" Tilly shakes her head, her shoulders slumping.

"You can try with the dried pollen we brought," her tall, wiry companion urges. "We've not come all this way on no sleep to just give in, hmm?"

"Dried pollen is barely medicinal... A single fresh bloom would be like a nuclear bomb by comparison," she grumbles.

"I'm sorry, I thought I was talking to the formidable Tilly Jones-"

"I know what you're doing old man," she growls, cutting him off. Tilly glares at him but he's immune and just raises a bushy brow at her in challenge. "Give me that!" Without waiting for permission, she takes the boxes and storms into Jess' room.

Ethan startles awake by her abrupt entry and jumps straight up, hunching over to protect Jess if need be. One reassuring look from me has him standing down and watching the newcomers like a hawk.

"Space, old man, do you know what it is?!" she snaps as she starts to spread the contents of the box over the table. Her companion throws up his palms and backs away a step, letting her settle in. "I need her wounds exposed, cleaned and ready for a poultice."

The commotion has drawn Doc and his team, who get to work, not needing any additional direction to prep Jess. Seeing them remove the black stained bandages once again, I can't help but cringe at the festering wound, just above the swell of her belly. I hear Benjamin suck in a sharp breath, taking in the damage for the first time.

Tilly and the man, whose name apparently is Gord, bicker yet work together like a well-oiled machine, going through vials and pouches, taking precise amounts of each ingredient and adding them to a mortar. Sharp smelling oil of some sort is poured in last and she works it into a fine paste before adding the dull green concoction to Jess' seeping wound.

"Is this gonna make her better?" Ethan asks, his voice soft and small. Tilly turns her sharp gaze to him and Cyrus bristles ready to take over the moment she steps out of line with his pup, but she softens.

"It's the best we can do for now son, we're missing a key ingredient," she sighs, shaking her head.

"What is it? I bet Sadie can find it, she can find anything!" he replies with childlike enthusiasm.

"If only," Gord mumbles. "I'm afraid this moonflower is as rare as they come."

Ethan furrows his brows and cocks his head to look up at the old man. "But we have lots of those?"

"Not this one I'm afraid," Tilly pipes up. "This buffon thought it was a good idea to kill-"

"He didn't do it on purpose," I cut in, pinching the bridge of my nose. "Dwelling on it won't fix it... What else can we do?"

Jude holds the diary open towards them. The pages are covered in detailed drawings of all sorts of moonflowers, subtly different with notes scribbled between them. "Can any of these be used as a substitute? The note Jess wrote says they're all here," Jude asks.

Tilly purses her lips but reluctantly looks over the page, already shaking her head. "This is the only one that will work, but he killed it," she grumbles, pointing to the lower corner and sparing Percival a pointed look.

"It's not dead," Ethan mumbles, taking the book from Jude.

"It's okay Highness, I meant well but know that my ignorance killed it," Percival offers with a weak smile.

"No," Ethan says, shaking his head more forcefully. "There were these pots where the plants looked mostly dead, just a little green left on the stem..."

Tilly stops fussing with her herbs and focuses on Ethan as he recounts. "Go on son," she urges. "You're sure it's this one? Vitalis?" She taps her withered finger on the image, but keeps her gaze on him.

"Yeah. Jess said there were only two stumps with any green... She showed me how to clean them up and what to look for..." he trails off. "When they leafed out, she figured out it was this one, said it was the only one with pointed leaves like that."

The room is silent as everyone hangs on every word Ethan says.

"Show me!"

Ethan nods and leads the way with the rest of us in tow, leaving Ben and Doc behind with Jess.

He makes quick work of the way to Charlotte's greenhouse and pauses at the door for Percival to open it. The sight inside leaves me slack jawed and awe struck.

The heavily pruned plants have rebounded with new life. Everywhere I look, fresh green shoots and flowers abound. The sweet scent of citrus blossoms hangs in the air, mixing with the smell of damp earth.

In my distraction, Percival has gone to the far end and is holding a potted plant by the time we catch up. He mumbles something to the plant, on the verge of tears.

"Percival?" I call, approaching him slowly like I would a wounded animal.

"I'm a fool," he mumbles. "I thought she came to destroy but she put it all back together..."

Slowly, he lifts his watery gaze to mine and I see the light of understanding shining in them.

"I yelled at her... She brought this place back to life and I thanked her by yelling at her... in front of everyone..." The gravity of the situation seems to hit the man all at once.

"Give me that!" Tilly snaps as she snatches the plant from him before setting it down on the coffee table for a better look.

"Sure looks like vitalis to me," Gord offers, leaning in for a closer look.

"That it does," she muses. "Though it's seen better days... looks like the Queen got to them in the nick of time."

"Them?" I question, eyeing the scraggly plant.

"Them," she stresses, gesturing to the plant like it should be obvious.

"Highness, moonflowers are social plants, they must grow at least two in a pot, otherwise they wither and die," Gord explains.

"I've never heard of a social plant before," I confess.

"I didn't know," Percival gasps. "They'd outgrown their pot and I tried to give them more space..."

Tilly turns to the old advisor once more and lets out a long sigh. "We'll deal with you later, but we have more pressing matters."

"Now can you save her?" Ethan asks, eyes locked and pleading.

"Now we can start," Tilly confirms with a nod. "But the best pollen will be tonight when the fresh flower opens, though last night's faded flowers are still better than the dried ones we used."

The two get started on harvesting what they need under Ethan's watchful eye and I can't help but look around. The transformation in this place in such a short time is incredible.

I can't wait for Jess to see it...

The thought fills me both with hope and dread, but I focus on hope. Watching Tilly dutifully work on the plant makes me realize how precious and fragile it is.

A few moments later, I spot the familiar green of a Guardian's uniform coming down the path. I wasn't sure who my brother would send but the way Quinn's eyes light up, I'd think this was a candy store.

"'Sup, boss man?" she greets with her signature grin.

"It might not be glamorous, but I need someone to watch a plant..." I trail off, cringing at the ridiculous nature of my request.

"For real?!" she asks, quirking a brow.

I simply nod and brace myself for laughter and an argument. "Fuck yeah! Do you have any idea how long I've been wanting to get in here?!"

"You want to be here?" I ask, thrown completely off guard but the Guardian looks around with hungry excitement.

"My mum used to tell me stories of this place, arguably the best collection coupled with the gardens..." she trails off, drifting into nostalgia. "Let's just say it was the last nail in the coffin that put me on my path."

"Sounds like we have the right person for the job then," I say with a chuckle.

"I'll be back tonight to collect from the next flower," Tilly cuts in as if I'm not even there. "Don't move it, touch it or water it! Just make sure nothing happens to it."

"Yes Ma'am," Quinn acknowledges.

"I can stay too," Ethan offers, determination shining in his golden eyes at the prospect of being able to help.

"You've had an awfully long night, kid-" Jude starts.

I nod, knowing just how important being able to do something, anything in times like this is. Guarding a plant is enough to keep the mind distracted and feed that need to not sit around and wait anymore.

"This one's no stranger to long nights, hmm?" I say, ruffling Ethan's hair. "Two sets of eyes are better than one, and I'm sure Quinn would appreciate the company?"

She sighs dramatically and crosses her arms over her chest. "I reckon if I've got to," she groans.

"Please," he whines, turning his puppy dog eyes on the Guardian.

"Good God, knock it off, I yield," she laughs, bumping his shoulder with hers. "If I've got to have a partner, I suppose you'll just have to do."

Ethan grins and parks himself by the plant as if he expects intruders at any moment. With that settled, I follow Tilly and Gord back to the hospital while Percival goes back to business.

Doc is just finishing up his checkup on Jess when we enter her room. The guarded relief in his eyes gives me hope that she's not getting any worse.

"She's holding steady," Doc confirms with guarded optimism. "Between Willow and whatever that concoction is they gave her... might just be a fighting chance."

"There's no one who fights harder," Jude replies with a small chuckle. A ghost of a smile slips on my lips, knowing he's right.

Good or bad, Jess doesn't give in easily to anything.

"Thanks Doc," I say with a sigh.

"Try and get some rest, there's still a ways to go..." With a pat on my arm, he heads out and, after Tilly and Gord add to their poultice, everyone else goes too, leaving just me and Jude.

"He's right," Jude says, drawing my attention from the now empty doorway. "You should get some rest-"

"I'm not leaving," I grumble, cutting him off. Jude just laughs, then sighs and nods towards the bed.

While I said my thanks and goodbyes, he set up the chair and footstool into a makeshift bed next to hers, complete with a blanket and pillow. My chest feels tight once more, thankful for his consideration.

"Get some shut eye, I'll wake you the moment something changes," he promises.

"Thanks man, for everything." I settle in and lace my fingers with hers, feeling the slight sparks slightly stronger now. In no time, I drift away to the steady and lighter rhythm of her breathing, my heart once again full of hope.

Hang on baby...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

357K 20.4K 62
Bitten by a stranger she was trying to rescue, June realizes she is turning into a werewolf. An alluring man named Dom promises to help her as long a...
335K 12.6K 45
Secrets and lies were never a part of my life. Until, that is, I met him. Then, everything changed. Or, maybe things were always messed up, and meet...
8.7K 790 66
Ryan King is an Alpha desperately trying to hold his pack together. Between the blood thirsty enemy packs wanting to take what's his, a council that...
772K 50.3K 41
WATTPAD FEATURED - 30/11/2017 WATTYS 2018 LONGLIST - 31/08/2018 WATTPAD WEREWOLF FEATURED - 05/09/2020 WATTPAD EXPLORER WEREWOLF WEEK - 26/10/2020 [W...