Devoted To You || Gilbert Bly...

By RenAintNoSaint

"๐ˆ ๐ฐ๐ข๐ฌ๐ก ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐ž ๐๐ž๐ฏ๐จ๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐๐š๐ฒ๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž." _______________... More

I
II
III
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐“Œ๐‘œ
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
๐’ซ๐’ถ๐“‡๐“‰ ๐’ฏ๐’ฝ๐“‡๐‘’๐‘’
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII

IV

1.1K 28 6
By RenAintNoSaint

~𝒜𝒹𝒶~

Bravery, an adjective: ready to face and endure danger or pain; showing courage.
_________________________

Bravery is something I lack. Ever since my mother died and my father moved to Paris, I feel the need to gain it along with some common sense – for instance, not running into a burning building. But I mean, who would?

A few days had passed. Anne was mortified after all the stories got spread around. She refused to return to school. Though she is a little much at times, I do miss her spunky self. Diana and Ruby tried to convince her to come back, but it was no use. I guess Anne wasn't brave enough to do so just yet.

I lay in my bed, attempting to finish my school book. I've been doing extra credit work. Suddenly, loud knocking can be heard on the front door, startling me. I jump up and walk out into the hallway, seeing Alexander at the door.

"You have to come quickly, get as many buckets as you can!" Gilbert? Why is he here at such a late hour?

"Alex, what's going on?" I yawn. Gilbert glances at me, and I see the corner of his mouth rise up. Probably because I'm in my pajamas and I look like a fool.

"There's a house fire. They need our help," Alexander says tiredly before heading out to the field to grab more buckets.

"Oh my! That's awful," I exclaim. I brush past Gilbert and grab the buckets off our porch, taking them towards the carriage. "Coming with us, Blythe?"

"I would appreciate that. We need to get there as quickly as possible after all," he says out of breath.

I turn and yell. "Hurry up, Alexander!" We quickly get into the carriage.

Gilbert looks me up and down and snickers. "Nice jammies." I roll my eyes. Alexander sits the buckets in my lap, and we take off towards the fiery flames.

"Do you know whose it is?" I ask.

Gilbert shakes his head. "No. I just saw the flames and figured we should go help before the whole forest burns down."

"Good thinking," Alexander nods. We finally locate the fire. I gasp when I see it's the Gillis house.

"T-That's Ruby's house!" I nudge Alexander. He stops the carriage, and the three of us jump out to grab the buckets.

"Stay here," Alexander demands.

"Let me help!" I yell over the commotion.

"Ada, stay!" Gilbert yells. I huff as they run to fill up the buckets.

"Keep those buckets comin'! Keep them movin'. Pass these down the line! Hurry, hurry!" The men yell as they run all over the property.

"Ada!" I turn and see Diana and Anne. I quickly run towards them.

"Oh, I've missed you so much!" Anne yells as we hug.

"I've missed you too." I smile. "Is everyone alright? Where's Ruby?"

Diana points off and I see the Gillis family safe and sound. "They got out just in time."

"Hey, keep the water coming! Come on!" I turn and see Alexander and Gilbert on the roof.

"Those boys are going to get hurt!" I huff.

"Why are the doors and windows open?" Anne asks. We give her a confused look. She suddenly runs to her wagon and grabs a blanket, she then runs to the water trough and dunks the blanket.

"Anne?" I yell. Panic settles in my chest when I see her run into the flaming house.

"Anne! No!" Diana yells.

Anne is truly psychotic. Who in their right mind runs into a burning building.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Marilla yells.

"It's Anne! She ran inside!" Diana continues to cry.

The mothers grab ahold of Marilla as she tries to run after her. "Let me go! No! I need to get Anne!"

She's right. That smoke will surely kill her. I decide to go against my gut for once and I run towards the house.

"Ada, get back here this instant!" My aunt Eliza yells for me. I dunk myself in the water and go to a side window. I slide it open and enter the house. I immediately hear some atrocious coughing.

"Anne?!" I yell as I navigate my way through the walls of fire. I hear more coughing but it sounds closer. I duck down to avoid the rising smoke. "Make more noise! Please Anne!"

"Over here!" She wheezes.

I feel my body slowly get weaker. The smoke was definitely getting to me and fast. I turn to the left and see her. With the last bit of strength in me I stand and pick up her limp body. I turn to the door but right as I do the wood from the second story falls through blocking our way out. I slowly make my way to a window. I try to open it but the lock was jammed. I bang as hard as I can on it. Trying my best to alert someone.

My hand eventually breaks through the glass, I wince at the sudden pain but yell, "Help!" My vision goes blurry and I pass out.

____________________________

"Ada. Please wake up." I hear a deep voice whispering over me. My eyes flutter open and I begin to have a coughing fit.

My vision clears up and I see my brother. "Oh thank God." He whispers.

I feel a pant in my head and chest. "What happened?" I groan as I sit up.

"Take it easy, sis." He whispers as he steadies me. "You inhaled a lot of smoke. But Gilbert pried the window open and we got you and Anne out."

I can't tell if my heart was fluttering or if the smoke in my lungs was swirling around. But either way Gilbert saved me, how could I ever repay him for that.

"Alright, it's settled. The Gillis family will be billeted out to the Barrys, the Cuthberts and ourselves."

I smirk at Alexander. "Glad we aren't stuck with them."

Alexander shakes his head. "That's not nice."

I shrug. "Neither are they."

"True but we must be kind." He adds. "You know better."

"I was kind enough when I went in and saved Anne." I say sarcastically.

"And brave." I hear a voice speak up from behind me. I turn and see Gilbert. He sits down on the ground beside me. "I mean really. I can't believe you ran in and saved her like that."

"She's my friend. If I wouldn't have done it, no one would." I shrug.

"How's that hand?" He asks.

I look down at my bandaged, bruised, and bloody hand. "It could be worse." I whisper.

"I apologize if it's too tight. It was hard to tell since you were sleeping." He grabs my hand and examines it some more. Making my heart flutter more.

"What? No Mother!" I turn and see Ruby.

"Ruby?" Mrs. Gillis exclaims.

"I don't want to stay there! Why can't I stay with Diana?!" She cries.

"That's enough. The plan is set." Her father scolds her.

"What's that about?" Gilbert whispers. His breath on my neck sends chills up my spine. Oh no. If Ruby sees me with Gilbert she'll surely hate me then.

"I'll never live it down! Please don't make me!" Ruby yells.

"I won't have any more of this. After the events of this evening, you should be grateful to have a bed to sleep in at all."

"Ungrateful little brat." I mumble.

"What was that?" Alexander asks. My eyes widen.

"We need to get home." I cough. He nods.

"Well let's go then." The boys stand and follow me to the carriage.

____________________________

"Gilbert be sure to alert your father that our calf has arrived and will be ready for sell in a few weeks." Alex says as we unload the carriage.

"I will. Thank you again for the ride." Gilbert adds.

"Anytime, and you're more than welcome to ride with me to the Gillis house since we'll be working together there." He says.

Gilbert nods and turns to me. "And what will Miss Ada Faye be doing on her week off?"

"Cooking, cleaning, everyday house wife things." I joke around.

"In that case will you please bring us some chicken broth tomorrow?" My brother whines.

"Oh yes that would be divine. Especially in this awful weather." Gilbert adds.

"Of course I will. It's not like I have anything better to do." I shrug.

"On that note I will see you two tomorrow." Gilbert tips his hat before turning on his heels.

"Goodbye!" We wave to one another. I smile and turn back to my brother who has a teasing expression.

"House wife things?" He asks teasingly.

I roll my eyes and punch his arm. "Oh hush!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.5K 931 32
โ๐…๐ฎ๐œ๐ค ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐†๐ข๐ฅ๐›๐ž๐ซ๐ญ ๐๐ฅ๐ฒ๐ญ๐ก๐ž!โž โ๐ˆ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ญ๐จ๐จ ๐œ๐š๐ซ๐ซ๐จ๐ญ๐ฌ. โž ๐–๐ž๐ง๐ญ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ฉ๐š๐ข๐ง๐Ÿ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ฒ ๐š๐ฐ๐ค๐ฐ๐š๐ซ๐ ๐€๐ง๐ง๏ฟฝ...
66K 1.3K 33
"Evelyn you will not talk to that girl. She is too much of a bad example for you." "But father you hardly know her if only you can-" "No Evelyn!" W...
990 47 6
While Anne wonders about her own feelings for Gilbert, they spend much of the day together at the County Fair. There will be some unexpected incident...
171K 2.8K 23
You have lived in Avonlea your whole life. Your best friend is Gilbert Blythe and a girl named Anne comes to Avonlea and your relationship with Gilbe...