ONE DARK QUEEN ❖ (A Three Dar...

By PheonixGuardian

THREE DARK QUEENS are born in a glen SWEET LITTLE TRIPLETS will never be friends THREE DARK WITCHES all fair... More

Beginning Note
CHAPTER ONE: UMBRA
CHAPTER TWO: ROLANTH
CHAPTER THREE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FOUR: BASTIAN CITY
CHAPTER FIVE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIX: THE SEA
CHAPTER SEVEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER EIGHT: UMBRA
CHAPTER NINE: SAND HARBOUR
CHAPTER TEN: PRYNN FOREST
CHAPTER ELEVEN: LACTON SQUARE
CHAPTER TWELVE: ROLANTH
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: MOORGATE PARK
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: INDRID DOWN TEMPLE
CHAPTER NINETEEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY: UMBRA
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: ROLANTH
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: ONDINA'S COVE
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: ONDINA'S COVE
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: SHANNON'S BLACKWAY
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: PRYNN
CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY: THE ARRON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY ONE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY TWO: THE WESTWOOD ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: THE WESTWOOD ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTEE THIRTY FIVE: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY SIX: THE ARRON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTY THIRTY SEVEN: THE RADURON ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT: THE DISEMBARKING
CHAPTER THIRTY NINE: INNISFUIL VALLEY
CHAPTER FOURTY: QUEEN NALANI'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY ONE: THE FIRE DOME
CHAPTER FOURTY TWO: QUEEN ARWEN'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY THREE: THE QUICKENING
CHAPTER FOURTY FOUR: QUEEN CARINA'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY FIVE: QUEEN CARINA'S STAGE
CHAPTER FOURTY SIX: THE MURTRA ENCAMPMENT
CHAPTER FOURTY SEVEN: UMBRA
CHAPTER FOURTY EIGHT: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FOURTY NINE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY ONE: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FIFTY TWO: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY THREE: UMBRA
CHAPTER FIFTY FOUR: ROLANTH
CHAPTER FIFTY FIVE: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN: INNISFUIL VALLEY
BEFORE
CHAPTER FIFTY EIGHT: PRYNN
CHAPTER FIFTY NINE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIXTY: THE BLACK COTTAGE
CHAPTER SIXTY ONE: PRYNN
CHAPTER SIXTY TWO: UMBRA
THE BIRTH
AUTHORS NOTE
CHAPTER SIXTY THREE: THE BLACK COTTAGE
CHAPTER SIXTY FOUR: PRYNN
CHAPTER SIXTY FIVE: UMBRA
CHAPTER SIXTY SIX: ROLANTH

CHAPTER FIFTY SIX: UMBRA

55 3 10
By PheonixGuardian

"You look beautiful Arwen," Klaude says, complimenting his bride to be as he sees her trying on a dress for the event that the Raduron's have put on for the Shadow Court.

It is a ridiculously elaborate piece and is smothered in onyx gems along with black diamonds, shining every time it catches the evening light.

"I agree," Ebony says, who is also in Arwen's chambers to help her prepare for the ball. And Klaude, well he's here simply because he says his own chambers are boring and he far prefers hers, well he didn't say that in Ebony's presence, instead opting to whisper it in Arwen's ear with his usual seductive tones of suggestion.

"I look like a walking piece of jewellery," Arwen states looking at her gown distastefully. It is far too much. Commissioned by Cierra specially. Apparently important people from all around the island and as usual Cierra wants to show off and demonstrate her wealth as if the whole damned island wasn't already aware of the Raduron's wealth and aristocracy. It's a good thing they're so rich that they neglect to check all the money, jewels and wealth in their vaults regularly because Arwen has taken a few things for her and Klaude.

"That's the whole point my darling," Ebony says, smoking from her silver pipe.

"It's grotesque," Arwen says turning to her side to analyse her reflection a little more in her ornate mirror.

"It's powerful," Ebony says, "clothes aren't just for a woman to look good, they're for statements and expression, a symbol - my sister knows what she's doing."

That makes Klaude raise an eyebrow. The last time he properly talked to Ebony she was hellbent on murdering Cierra to then take her place. But since they are no longer allies Klaude cannot tell what her true motives are or her end goals. But still she is better than Cierra at least. They only thing he can say for certain about Ebony is that she at least cares for Arwen. Cierra is an emotionless bitch who would slaughter everyone in this damned mansion, including her own flesh and blood, if it meant she could wear the island's crown.

"Cierra can go to hell," Arwen mutters which makes Ebony raise her eyebrows in surprise, taking note of Arwen's slight change in behaviour the past few days. The young queen seems more confident, more self assured and free/firm with her opinions and decisions.

The Arwen Ebony knew a year ago would never dare speak of Cierra Raduron in such a manner. The old Arwen was a quiet little mouse petrified of Ebony's older sister. But somehow she doesn't seem as scared anymore. It makes Ebony's heart warm a little, she is proud of how far Arwen has come. Ebony knows from experience how cruel Cierra can be.

"She may indeed go to hell one day but until hell freezes over my dear sister will not let you get out of wearing this dress," Ebony says, exhaling the smoke from her pipe watching it disappear into the air in wisps.

Arwen sighs at that, "why must I attend the ball, Klaude and I had plans to go into town."

"At this hour and without a chaperone?" Ebony questions, smirking to herself, "scandalous."

"I know how it is, you two are young and in love but until you are married you must take certain precautions," Ebony says and Klaude cuts in cheekily,

"Trust me we take plenty of precautions."

Arwen blushes at that, avoiding eye contact with Ebony who scowls a little at that.

"I do hope you're not insinuating what I think you are," she says, "and even if you are Arwen will not be with child for years to come, queens do not obey the usual laws of conception and biology, some powerful queens didn't birth their triplets until their fifties or sixties so rest assured whatever precautions you two take are pointless," she pauses, taking another puff of her pipe, "the Goddess doesn't send the new triplets until it's time and never in our history has a queen gotten pregnant before she became Queen Crowned."

Klaude only mouthes discreetly 'there's a first time for everything' at Arwen who manages to pick it up and luckily both Ebony and Darcia didn't see what he said.

"Anyway the precautions I was speaking off was to have an appropriate courtship, particularly as Klaude is royalty as are you Arwen," Ebony says, "the last thing you need in your Ascension Year are silly rumours, this isn't a nunnery,  but do what you want but behind closed doors."

Ebony stands up at that, coming over to look at her own reflection in Arwen's mirror. She wears a beautiful silver and periwinkle dress with pure white pearls sewn into the bodice to match the pearls cleverly weaved into her long silver locks, in an elaborate up do today to showcase the large hanging moon and sun diamond earrings hanging by her neck. She looks like a moon goddess carved from stars and light.

"You look rather beautiful yourself Ebony," Arwen compliments kindly and Ebony turns, hugging her young ward.

"Thank you my darling," she replies, "well I'm ready for the party, come down in a second will you before Cierra has my head."

Arwen chuckles at that nodding graciously, "Klaude and I will be down in a minute do not worry."

Ebony nods curtly, disappearing out of the door and down the staircase where the party below has started to come to life. A lavish shadow's ball and her last one. For tomorrow in the morning, when every shadow will begin to sleep as the day begins, Arwen and Klaude are going to marry and then hope straight on their boat to Centra.

They have spent the past few days arranging everything, mostly done by Klaude as Arwen struggles to go anywhere without Cierra's spies reporting on it or following her about. They have the money they need. And they have each other. And that is enough to start a new life on the mainland, discovering a new life and discovering a new part of themselves. Freedom, something Arwen has only ever tasted faintly. Soon she shall have everything she wants. At the cost of her gift, apart of herself.

Oddly that upsets her a little, Arwen has always disliked her gift but it has started getting stronger lately, manifesting new elements that she thought had died out in the shadow gift eons ago. Starting with when she controlled Cierra's very mind to stop her from hurting Klaude. Arwen has not attempted to use that part of her gift since and isn't sure she would even know how to do it. With Cierra it was because she was hurting Klaude, it was instinctive for Arwen in that situation.

Arwen sighs, going over to Klaude and sitting on his lap nestling her head on his shoulder and he begins to stroke her hair gently,

"I suppose we better make an appearance," she says and Klaude smiles in reply.

"Don't fret love," he says, "this is the last ball you will ever have to attend as in the next few days we will start new lives and leave all this behind and finally I won't have to worry about losing you to this damned Ascension."

Arwen smiles softly at that, she is so excited for tomorrow she can barely contain it,

"I still can't believe we're getting married tomorrow and then leaving the island the da after that," she says, "soon I no longer have to be a sacrificial or murdering queen of Fennbirn, I can just be Arwen, queen of nothing."

"Queen of nothing has a ring to it," Klaude says smirking, "queen of my heart," he finishes sincerely, putting a hand to his heart for added effect and Arwen laughs at that which makes Klaude's smile even wider, he could get drunk of the sound her laugh. Of her. His feelings for her consume him entirely. It is terrifying but also the most liberating thing he has ever felt.

"You're an idiot," she says but can't contain her smile.

"But you love me anyway," Klaude says and she nods, holding his face gently and kissing him. They stay in each other's arms for a few minutes more before Klaude gets up, carrying Arwen to the door with an arm under her legs and another arm supporting her back before putting her down once they leave her bedroom.

It may be a little much for Klaude to carry Arwen all the way down the staircase for the entirety of the nobles of Umbra to see.

They look at each other as they reach the top of the stairs, Arwen kisses Klaude one last time before they step into everyone's view, Arwen carefully placing her arm around Klaude's outstretched one as he escorts her down the stairs.

He is wearing black evening wear, purposefully chosen to match Arwen's queens blacks. He is not as elaborately dressed and not coated in gems and jewels but Arwen still thinks he looks devastatingly handsome.

For the first time Arwen and Klaude are directly confirming their relationship in every way without words and as they both walk down the ballroom staircase one thing is elaborately clear. He does not just look like a foolhardy suitor nobody accompanying a queen to a party. He looks like a king consort beside an all powerful Queen Crowned. A pair to be feared, respected and loved. A pair that could bring the world to its knees. A Shadow Queen and her husband.

But as they reach the bottom of the stairs Arwen is instantly pulled away from Klaude's arms by the crowd of shadow nobles, spearheaded by the Valkova's which makes Arwen feel a little at ease. At least she will have someone she can tolerate talking to. Carmen Valkova.

But it is her mother, the mighty Odessa, who steps forward first, heavenly and cold as always, a sapphire necklace sitting on her chest and dressed in a royal blue that offsets her darkskin beautifully.

"Good evening your grace," Odessa says politely, bowing and the rest of her brood follows suit, "allow me to present my husband, Keir," the tall austere man next to her inclines his head but doesn't say anything more," and my youngest children, Demetria and Damon," she finishes looking at the two youngest children. They look like their mother but they have certain features of the father. They must be the twins. Arwen briefly heard Ebony mention them when she first met Odessa and Carmen in the town the other day.

"And you've already met Carmen, my heir," Odessa says, even smiling with a little pride as Carmen steps forward, beautiful as ever and wearing the same shade as her mother but in a completely different styled dress. In fact the whole family dons a royal blue. It must be their family's house colour. Every shadow noble has one, the colour of their family crest.

It is not uncommon for families to dress in their family colours for important events but not all shadows do it, Ebony for example changes the colour of her attire daily and many shadow nobles have disregarded wearing their house colours as regularly due to this. They are like sheep. They follow Ebony as she is one of the richest, most powerful and most well dressed shadows in Umbra. Part of the ruling family. Many look up to her. Far more than they do Cierra. Cierra is the one they fear too much to disobey. Ebony is the one who is well liked.

Carmen flashes Arwen a smile with those pearly white teeth of hers stepping forward to kiss Arwen's hand,

"It's an honour to see you again Queen Arwen," she says and Arwen inclines her head politely.

"It's a pleasure to see you again Carmen and to meet the Valkova family officially, Cierra has told me many good things about you I hope to rely on some of you joining my Black Council when I am Queen Crowned," she says, saying what is expected of her but lying through her teeth.

Arwen feels a bit uncomfortable at that. More about lying to Carmen, if she actually wanted to be Queen Crowned she would love Carmen on her Black Council. Even though she's only known the shadow for a short while she already feels like they would've been good friends but of course Arwen will soon be gone and will not ever sit on the throne, she wonders how they will react when they learn of her and Klaude running away. The shadow nobles will riot and likely hunt for her themselves. And Goddess help her if they find her, they will drag her back to the island kicking and screaming.

But for now she must play the game.

"Of course," Odessa responds with a greedy smile which doesn't match her cold eyes looking between Carmen and Arwen as she does so, "I shall leave you and Carmen to get better acquainted, she has a rather extensive knowledge of this island's politics."

Arwen nods and watches as the Valkova family descends further into the rest of the party while Carmen stays, a smile already on her face.

"It's good to see you again Arwen," she says genuinely, "it's been too long little shadow queen."

"It's good to see you again too Carmen," she replies, slightly unsure of how to act. She's never really had a female friend before, aside from Ebony who is more like an older sister, so Arwen is a little unsure of how to act.

"The way you and that suitor of yours came down the stairs was impeccable," Carmen says, "I didn't know which one of you I'd rather be, you looked so sultry, mysterious and all around powerful, like an avenging angel of death," she says dramatically, gesturing with her hands for extra effect, "and Klaude," she fans herself with her hand, "I can see why you're so taken with the mainlander."

Arwen blushes at that, "you don't think this dress is too much?"

Carmen gasps in horror, "absolutely not!" She insists, taking Arwen's arm in hers, leading her into a dance, "I know we've only known each other for a short while but I felt oddly proud of you, you just seem more confident, more you," she says and then pauses, "sorry if I'm rambling I'm rather blunt but I think it's my best trait."

Arwen laughs at that, letting Carmen lead the dance as they gracefully spin around the ballroom floor.

"I find it refreshing, it's hard to find shadows in Umbra who will actually tell the truth without a facade or an agenda," Arwen admits.

"True," Carmen agrees, "they're all scheming bastards but will also follow other nobles like sheep, if one does something the others will surely follow."

Arwen nods in reply, watching all the other shadow couples dance around the ornate ballroom floor with the preening grace of a peacock. Shadows are far too perfect in appearance and in fact. Proud people. But stubborn to. Too caught up in their own aristocracy and privilege to even comprehend anything but themselves. Some, like Carmen and Ebony, are decent and none are as horrible as the force that is Cierra Raduron but many aren't far off.

"This may be an odd question but do you like the company of women as well as men or just the latter," she asks which catches Arwen off guard which makes Carmen smirk and shrug.

That makes her think for a moment as she surveys Carmen. Carmen Valkova is not only beautiful but kind, if a little too honest. And if Arwen did prefer the company of women she has no doubt she would choose Carmen any day. Any man or woman would be lucky to have her.

"Just the latter," Arwen confirms, thinking off Klaude fondly, "but if I had a choice it would likely be both."

Carmen smirks and laughs at that,
"Fair enough," she says, "I had to ask because if you hadn't already noticed I fancy you a little," she admits, spinning Arwen around in a twirl, "I don't want a courtship but if you ever wanted to try the rather pleasurable company of women I'm always around but if you are committed to that suitor of yours, who I suspect you're in love with, then I'd be honoured to be a friend to you instead, a genuine one, they're a rare commodity for those in power in told," she says and Arwen smiles.

"A rare commodity indeed," she says as the dance comes to an end, "I appreciate your candour Carmen and I would be honoured to have you as my friend by my side as Queen Crowned, already I feel like I've known you for years already."

That makes Arwen feel a pang of regret. Her first real friend and ally on this island and she is leaving in two days. She is tempted to confide in Carmen but she knows Carmen cannot trust her with that information. Not yet. She cannot trust anyone with that. As much as Carmen may like Arwen she will not take Arwen's leaving lightly. Every shadow is desperate for their power to be restored and to take dominion over the entire island rather than just Umbra. They will do anything for Arwen to become the new Queen Crowned.

"I feel the same," Carmen replies, giving her one last smile as they pull apart as the dance comes to a close, "but excuse me while I go to investigate the state of the wine cellar they seem to have run dry already up here," she says, looking ready to start a war over wine but before she goes she takes once last look at Arwen, "I will see you soon my queen."

Arwen nods in reply, muttering the same farewell, surprised to find a tear welling up in her eye. That she will never see Carmen again. And oddly she will never get to experience the good parts of being a queen. If only Cierra could disappear, that will solve all of Arwen's problem, aside from the Ascension Year. Arwen believes she is fully capable of killing her sisters but she doesn't want to. They have done nothing to her personally. She's sure they don't deserve to die.

But distracting herself from those thoughts she looks around her, at all the shadows. Her people. Those she will be leaving behind. She spies Narine Haven and Orpheus Raduron dancing, they are to be married in a month, uniting two of the most powerful shadow families in Umbra. She even sees Odessa and Keir Valkova, the matriarch sporting a rare genuine smile as her husband dances gracefully with her. And she even sees Ebony dancing with a pretty shadow woman with an exquisite silver afro, perhaps she is one of Ebony's latest lovers.

And she stares at everyone else, either dancing on the ballroom, drinking wine or chatting amongst themselves, everyone merry and happy, drunk on the possibility of the future - the one they believe Arwen will give to them.  Oddly it makes her feel a little out of sorts. She will be leaving her people behind and her responsibilities. Is she a selfish person for choosing her own happiness above her people's?

But all those thoughts leave her head as suddenly she feels hot breathe caress her ear and arms wrap around her waist, without turning she can already tell who it is.

"Are you enjoying the ball love?" Klaude asks, whispering in her ear.

"Surprisingly yes," Arwen replies, thinking of her conversation and dance with Carmen.

"I saw you dancing with a rather pretty shadow girl, do I have cause for be jealous?" He asks and Arwen spins around to face him as he smirks,

"You know the answer to that question," she says with a smile of her own, "and that girl is Carmen Valkova, the friend I was telling you about."

Klaude nods, taking her hand suddenly and leading her towards the middle of the ballroom,

"Would my future wife do me the honour of having one last dance with me?" He asks, bowing and kissing her hand gently, his eyes gleaming with satisfaction as he sees that Arwen is wearing the small onyx engagement ring that he gifted her earlier today.

Arwen nods, giggling as he picks her up and spins her around before setting her down as he gently caresses her waist while she places a hand on his shoulder as their other hands entwine and they start to move as one.

The melodies of the violins and pianos fill her ears with such wondrous and beautiful sounds that makes Arwen feel as though she is in a dream and as she looks into Klaude's blue eyes she knows she is exactly where she needs to be. He is her home.

"Klaude," she gasps suddenly and he raises an eyebrow in question, "do you remember, this is where we first met, where we first danced all those months ago."

He smiles at that, not his usual smug smirk, but a small fond smile,

"I do," he says, "I will remember that day until I die, I went to meet you with all these agendas and politics that had been drilled into my head by Cierra, my father and my uncle but I forgot about that as soon as I laid eyes on you, if I'm being honest when I first saw you I fell in love, I don't know how or why but I felt connected to you as though our very souls were destined for each other."

Arwen laughs at that, "Goddess when I first met you I would never have guessed you were such a romantic."

He inclines his head, "I would never have guessed that myself either but what can I say, I'm a man in love and love changes people."

"You have changed me in every way," Arwen admits as he spins her around again, "and I'm so thankful that I met you and I know I've already told you this a hundred times before but I love you."

And as he spins her one last time he replies,

"I love you too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 194 20
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ Recent events have cancelled this old, old story. However! The synopsis for the rest of the chapters I had planned are at the...
7.9K 535 21
*Book 3 of Reuniting The Council Series* Maya once was a slave to rogues, all her life in fact. But one day that all changed. The day that Crystal sh...
31.3K 630 14
|| Highest ranking: #9 in protection ⚔️ #1 in A Court Of Thorns and Roses🌹 #7 in Sarah J Maas 🧝🏼‍♀️ || "What?" Rhys asked, frowning at Mor. She s...
7.4K 226 34
I ran. I ran as fast as I could. I couldn't do this. "Mate!" My wolf, Odette, screamed in my head. Her tail wagging, jumping around in pure excitemen...