Sailing With Destiny

By Bookworm_Tina

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... More

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Friend or Foe
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Off-route: London
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
CumpleaƱos
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
I Hate My Birthday
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
The Night Begins
Can The Night End Already
I don't Know You Anymore
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
Friends
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
Holiday Surprises
I Trusted You
I Trusted You Too
A Mental Maze
Always
Mark My Words
Call It Destiny

Petty

1.6K 49 136
By Bookworm_Tina

Mitchell's POV

The last week had to have been the longest yet shortest week of my life. It was finally Friday evening and I was exhausted. I thought the first week back at work would've been more relaxed but my dad didn't hold back, I was at the office before eight every morning and only reached home twelve hours later. 

I spent one night at the beach house in Malibu but my whipped ass found the place too silent and lonely so from the next day onward, I stayed at my parents' place. It worked out better because Dad and I were busy with a huge project and we worked after hours at the home office as well. Mom wasn't too pleased but she understood, however, work talk was not allowed at the dining table.

It was finally Friday and for the first time that week, I got home before five pm. I loosened my tie and unwound my neck as I took slow steps through the entrance hall, towards the staircase. I planned to take a shower, have dinner and then call it a night. My phone vibrated just before I was able to drag myself upstairs, I wouldn't have bothered to check but it had been hours since I last heard from Mila and it made me anxious and a little angsty.

Disappointment settled in as I stared at a work email and the last text I sent Mila still sat on delivered. I knew it was her brothers' graduation and she attended the ceremony with her family so she was a little busy but not so much that she couldn't reply in over five hours. 

I brushed off my baseless thoughts and blamed it on sleep deprivation and hunger, I knew Mila would text or call as she soon as she could. I missed her way too much and that added to my foul mood. 

"Hey honey, you're finally back," Mom's voice stopped me in my tracks. 

"Yeah," I ran a hand over my face. "I was just headed to take a shower and then I'll be down for dinner."

A small frown grew over Mom's forehead. "You're eating at home tonight?"

"Yeah, like always," I half grinned. "You know I love your cooking."

It's not like I have a date to dine out with. 

"What about Faith's birthday?" Mom asked. "Are you not going anymore?"

"Sh-crap!" I shut my eyes and threw my head back. "I forgot all about that," I paused and sighed, "I'd be a terrible friend if I bailed at the last minute, eh?"

"Terrible and Mitch can't go together," Mom sweetly smiled. "But it would look bad if you canceled at the eleventh hour for your best friend's wife's birthday and their house warming dinner."

"I know," I breathed. "But I'm so tired, I wanted an early night," I whined like a kid.

"Is Dad overworking you? Do I need to have a word with him?" Mom's tone was soft but I knew if I said something, she'd definitely have a word with Dad. 

"No, don't do that, I'm not a kid anymore," I shook my head and smiled at how she always had my best interest at heart. "I just need to get out of vacation mode and back into my normal routine."

"You're always going to be my baby," Mom caressed my arm and lovingly smiled.

"Doc," Mom's attention diverted as Dad walked into the room, buttoning the cuffs of his shirt before he placed his hand on the small of mom's back, "You're ready to go?"

I just noticed that my parents were a little too dressed up for a Friday night in, Mom wore makeup, and Dad's hair was neatly brushed back. "Are you guys going out?" 

"Your mom finally has the weekend off in what feels like forever so I'm taking her on a date," Dad replied while mom coyly smiled. 

Despite being married for over twenty-five years, my parents were still so in love with each other. I learned a lot from them because their relationship wasn't always smooth sail, even while growing up I vaguely recalled how tough it was sometimes with Mom's crazy work schedule. 

"If you really don't feel like going over to Owen's, you can join us for dinner," Mom offered. 

I couldn't be that person who ruined their parents' first date night in a long time and I couldn't blow Owen off. I planned to show face, mingle a little, and come back home early. I shook my head, "No, you guys have fun, I'll head over to Owen's for a little while."

"Alright, we'll see you later," Dad nodded. "Be good."

"One thing," Dad stopped midway and glanced at me over his shoulder. "Legal sent over two contracts, I skimmed over it and highlighted some things that don't sit too well with me. You'd know better than me, I left it in the study, check it out, yeah?"

The idea of reading through pages of fine print was a recipe for a migraine but I knew how big the project we currently worked on was so the sooner I got work done, the better. I nodded, "I'll have a look befo-"

"Mason," Mom cut me short and shot Dad a stern look. "It's Friday evening, I'm sure it can wait until Monday."

"The sooner Mitch..." Dad trailed off when Mom's look slowly turned into a glare. He pursed his lips and firmly nodded, "Take the rest of the night off, tomorrow is another day."

"Enjoy the rest of your evening, son," Dad tapped me on the shoulder. 

"See you later, sweetheart," Mom stepped closer and kissed my cheek. "If you're planning to drink, go with the driver, I don't want you driving under the influence."  

I swear she forgets I'm almost twenty-five sometimes.

"And I got a housewarming present for Faith and Owen, it's in the kitchen, don't forget to take it before you leave," Mom added and I was so grateful to her meticulousness because it slipped my mind to get them a gift.

I nodded with a grin just to please her and stood at the end of the staircase as I watched them leave. Mom linked her arm through Dad's and I overheard Dad say to her, "You need to stop babying him, Carly."

"I am not..." I didn't hear the rest of their conversation because they left and I took quick steps up the stairs. 

After a quick shower I got ready, I dressed casually in dark pants, matched with a navy button-down. I rolled up the sleeves before I sprayed cologne, put on my watch, and neatened my damp hair with my fingers. 

I grabbed the Jaguar car keys and my phone before I headed down, as I walked downstairs, I checked my phone and was pathetically disappointed when I still got no response from Mila. I glanced at the silver watch around my wrist that she gifted and hated how much I missed her, I wished she would've attended Faith's birthday with me. 

I glanced at my phone once more and idly wondered if she was MIA all day because she was on a plane on her way to LA for a surprise visit. I shook away baseless thoughts and told myself not to be absurd and have any expectations, Mila was busy apartment hunting with her father and she wouldn't have missed her brothers' graduation. 

After I grabbed the gift from the kitchen and a bottle of wine from the cellar, I made my way down to the garage. I got in my car and just as I was about to start the engine, Mila's voice referring to the Jaguar as Barry Allen rang in my ears, I couldn't suppress a grin as I recalled how she had nicknames for almost everything I owned. 

I reversed out of the garage, drove around the rounded driveway, and made my way out. Security opened the gates and I thanked them with a wave of my index finger before I pressed down on the accelerator and drove off. 

Owen and Faith moved into a condo in Beverly Hills which was only about a twenty-minute drive from my parent's place. It was a little after six pm and I was already an hour late but Owen knew how busy work was so I figured he'd understand. 

I was less than five minutes on the road when my phone rang, I cursed under my breath but when Mila's name flashed on the car interface, I felt like a high schooler whose crush just remembered their existence. I immediately pressed a button on the steering wheel, the music stopped and was replaced by Mila's voice. 

"Hola Guapo," she greeted and I imagined a bright grin on her pretty face. 

"Hi Beautiful," I smiled like an idiot in love. "Someone's been a busy body today."

Mila deeply sighed, "you have no idea, it's been such a long day and..." she trailed off and paused for a second. "You're in someone right now, aren't you?"

"Excuse me?" I choked out. 

"Don't play ignorant," Mila replied. "I can hear her loud and clear, tell me who it is. Is it Barry or Portia?"

I took a moment and tried to wire my brain the way Mila's was and that's when I realized what she meant. I rolled my eyes and shook my head, "Yes, I'm driving the Jaguar."

"So, you're riding Barry," Mila mused. 

I couldn't believe I missed her filthy mouth and weird way of putting things. I chuckled under my breath, "Yes, it's been a while since I took her for a ride." 

"Look at you," I heard the smile in her voice. "I've taught you well. I hope you at least bought her dinner first."

"Now it's getting too weird," I remarked as I turned onto the highway. 

Mila's soft laughter surrounded the space in the car and it only made me miss her even more. "Are you on your way to Faith's?"

I nodded and then realized she couldn't see me. "Yeah."

"Alright, I'll call you later, I don't want to disturb you while you're driving. Love you." Mila was about to hang up and I found it a little annoying, I barely heard from her all day and now she wanted to hang up because I was driving.

"The fuck, Mila?" I coolly spoke. "You're not disturbing me; I've got you on speaker and I can multitask. Besides, why are you acting as if you've never disturbed me before while driving?"

"If you're talking about our road trip," Mila paused again and I heard some shuffling before she continued, "it was before I got into an accident, I'm a little paranoid when it comes to anyone I love behind the wheel now."

It had been well over a year since Mila's accident but she still struggled with PTSD, she hadn't even driven a car since then and the one time she tried, she panicked and couldn't do it. I felt awful and guilty, the only reason she got into that accident was because of me. 

"Milo," I softly said, "I'm sorry, baby but I promise I'm fine, let me talk to you for a while before you run off."

"Someone misses me," Mila sang and I didn't miss the smugness in her tone but I couldn't give a fuck because she was right.

"Too much," I sighed. "I wish you were attending this party with me."

"I do too," she sounded disappointed. "But it just wouldn't have worked out, I'm going to see three different apartments tomorrow and we're going out as a family to celebrate my brothers' graduation tonight."

"I understand," I responded. "Have you found any apartments you like?"

"No," she breathed. "My dad insists on really pricey ones but he doesn't realize it's out of my budget."

I frowned. "Really? I understand you haven't started earning yet but you do have a trust fund."

Mila softly groaned and even though I couldn't see her; I knew she rolled her eyes. "You sound just like my dad. I know I have a trust fund but I want to be independent and get a place within my salary range."

I understood what she meant and I admired that but I also wanted her to live in a safe area. She was about to work nightshifts and the idea of Mila traveling back in the middle of the night alone in New York City made me anxious. "I respect that but don't compromise your safety."

"I never thought I'd get the same kind of lecture from Dad and Daddy," she mused softly. 

"That's the second time you've rolled your eyes at me," I snickered. 

"I did... how do you know?" Mila sounded confused and surprised. "Do you have a camera installed in my bedroom?"

I scoffed. "Oh yeah, I have a camera installed in Damien Brinson's house."

"Good point," Mila responded in a small voice. "I guess you just know me pretty well."

"Too well," I grinned as I shifted lanes. 

I heard more shuffling and I wondered what she did while she spoke to me. "What are you doing?"

"Talking to you."

"I know that but you sound a little busy," I elaborated. 

"Stroking my kitty," Mila, typically responded sarcastically.

"Yeah..." I pulled my face in disgust, "don't say it like that," 

"There's the prude I love," Mila drawled before she added, "I'm getting ready for dinner. My dad and Mandy already left, and I'm running a little late."

"Dinner at nine p-" I was abruptly cut short when another voice entered Mila's room.

"Mils, hurry up, we're waiting for you, Leo is already here." The voice was masculine so I presumed it was one of her brothers. 

"I'm almost done and don't you know how to knock?" Mila scolded. 

"Your door wasn't locked so I assumed you were decent," Mila's brother cheekily responded and I couldn't help but think bad manners ran in the family. 

"Ugh just leave, I'll be down in a minute," Mila said. 

"I'm sorry," Mila apologized. "That was Dave, he tends to get impatient when he's the one waiting."

"I thought you were going for a family dinner," I mused and did my best to keep the bitterness out of my tone. 

"I am."

"But your brother just said Leo is there..." I hated that I was jealous but it annoyed me that I wasn't near her but Leo was - it was petty but I couldn't help how I felt. 

"Leo is basically family," Mila's tone told me I was absurd to even question Leo's role in her family. "Ever since he started working with my dad, they've gotten even closer."

I was under the impression that Leo wanted to start his own company, it was news that Leo worked with Brinson. "Leo works for your dad?"

"With," she clarified. "There was a setback with an app my dad was about to launch but Leo solved the issue quicker than the engineers. So, my dad offered him a manager role for as long as he wishes to work there."

Even the Brinson side of the family is crazy about Leo.

"And my brothers adore him so it was only fit he joined in on the celebration," Mila added. "Besides, if Dave behaves, Leo and I agreed to chaperone him to a party his friends are hosting. Since he's grounded, my dad would only be okay with it if a responsible adult is present."

"Poor kid," I muttered. "What a buzzkill to have your older sister watching over you while you celebrate the end of high school."

"Hey," Mila feigned offense, "I'm good company."

"I don't disagree but what will you do at a party for teenagers?" 

"That's what I thought when Dave begged me to consider but it's not a house party, his best friend booked the entire VIP area at Provocateur."

I found myself growing more and more agitated as I heard Mila's plans, I took in a breath and told myself that I could not control where she was or what she did. I did my best not to allow myself to be a petty, jealous prick, although the idea of her at a nightclub in Manhattan without me did not sit well.

"Provocateur?" I repeated and didn't hide the dismay in my tone. "With perverted teenage boys?"

"Dude," Mila drawled. Her tone and what she referred to me as irked me further. "I'm just chaperoning, Leo and I will stay out of their hair and keep an occasional eye on the kids."

"I missed out on attending parties with my friends, I don't want my brothers to as well."

I clenched onto the steering wheel tighter and my foot hit the pedal further while I tried to understand Mila's situation and not allow myself to blow my top.

"Just be-" I was abruptly cut off again when Mila yelled at her brother.

"Dave, get out!" she shouted and I heard something fall. "What did I say about touching my stuff? Now you broke this pallet!"

"For fucks sake," I irritably whispered under my breath. I found it rude that she had a conversation with her brother for the second time while I waited like an idiot on the line.

"My bad, I wanted some of that stuff you use to cover blemishes and shit," her brother replied. 

"Why the hell do you want concealer?" Mila replied and my patience slipped by the second.

"To cover this and –"

"Mila, if you're busy, I'll talk to you later," my tone was snappish but I did my best not to let my annoyance show - I didn't want to ruin her mood or night. 

"No, give me a sec," Mila told me and then added to her brother, "here, take it, get out and stop bothering me, I'll be down soon."

Deep breaths, Mitch. 

"I'm sorry," Mila's soft, sincere voice calmed me down a smidge. "I need to lock my door."

"I understand how little siblings can be," I coolly said but there was only so much I could've faked. 

"Tell Faith I'm sorry I can't be there but I'll see her soon," Mila muttered and there was more shuffling. 

"Sure," I dryly responded. "Are you leaving?"

"In a minute, I'm locking my door so I can dress," she mindlessly replied. 

"What are you wearing?" I asked. Mila interpreted it as a way of flirting but I was genuinely curious and hoped she didn't wear a similar kind of dress as the one she wore in Saint Tropez.

"A suit," she cooed. "My birthday suit."

My teeth clenched together, I rested my elbow on the edge of the car door and massaged my temples. Mila had a way of testing my patience and while I loved her smartass personality, sometimes I wished she took things fucking seriously.

"For fucks sake Mila, must everything be a fucking joke all the time?!" I snapped and I knew I was going to regret it later but at that moment, my temper got the better of me. "It wouldn't kill you to take things fucking seriously from time to time!"

There was a brief pause and I glanced at the interface to see if she hung up but the call was still connected. "Do you know what wouldn't kill you, Mitchell?" Her tone was calm but I knew she wasn't pleased with my tone. "If you took a yoga class or something because that temper of yours will be the end of you one day!"

"You'll be the fucking end of me before anything else!" I countered. 

"I do not appreciate your tone, so take that shitty mood and spread its stink elsewhere, I refuse to deal with this tonight!" Mila snapped. 

I huffed through my lips and spoke in a calmer tone, "Mila, I –"

I was cut off when the line went dead and music played again, my mouth dropped and I glanced back and forth between the interface screen and the road in front. I was about to apologize for my tone but fuck that, I was now furious. 

I scoffed in disbelief under my breath. "She fucking hung up on me!" 

I contemplated calling her back but I was way too pissed and since she rudely cut the call without as much as a bye, it was now her job to call back. With a tight jaw, I pressed down harder on the paddle and the car engine roared as I raced past other vehicles on the busy highway. 

I reached a few minutes sooner than expected and my mood hadn't changed, if it wasn't for Owen and Faith's sake, I would've turned around and headed back home. I grabbed the bottle of wine and two boxes my mom left in the kitchen, one was a lot larger than the other and I assumed the smaller one was a birthday gift for Faith. 

With the boxes in my hand, I took in the tall, stone-colored building adorned with neatly trimmed shrubs and perfectly manicured lawn. The sky was colored golden orange and the temperature was tepid with a slight breeze in the air. I tapped my pocket and was left disappointed that I left my pack of cigarettes at home, I planned to have a smoke before I headed up but it seemed my bad day looked to be a bad night too. 

With a deep sigh, I entered the building and after giving my name to security, I made my way up to the fifth floor. Owen's condo was on the top floor and one of the biggest in the building, I was happy and proud of my friend who had a good job at a top legal firm and just purchased an exquisite home. 

"Mitch!" Owen wore a wide grin after he opened the door. "I'm so happy you made it."

I forced a grin, stepped into the room, and shook Owen's hand. "Wouldn't miss it."

"Babe!" Owen called out to Faith after he welcomed me in. I never thought I'd see the day my playboy best friend would grow up, have a wife, and home yet here we were. If anything, I thought I'd reach that stage of life way before him. 

"Mitch!" Faith exclaimed with a bright smile. "It's so good to see you."

"Happy birthday," I handed Faith the gifts. "One is for both of you and the other is just for you."

"They're both mine," Faith teased. "Thank you, you shouldn't have. Mila already sent over a huge flower arrangement, a set of my favorite perfumes, and a couple other things on behalf of you both," Faith smiled, took the presents, and handed it to Owen to put down before she hugged me. 

"Yeah but these are from me," I muttered. 

"Welcome to our humble abode," Faith grinned and welcomed me in with her arms. "Make yourself at home."

I strode over the hardwood floors and admired the simplicity but elegance of their contemporary home. Earthly tones complimented the dark drapes and furniture and the décor was a huge upgrade from Owen's usual bachelor pad preferences. 

"You have a beautiful home," I complimented while I stood across the wall-mounted electric fireplace in the spaced-out living room. 

I looked around the room and it seemed I was the only one present. "Am I the first to arrive?"

"No, the last," Owen placed a hand on my shoulder. "The party is out on the terrace."

Owen led me down a short hallway to a glass door that opened to a large balcony terrace. I squinted the setting sun out of my eyes as I stepped over the stone floor and was first greeted by my cousin Gregory who made his way over.

Greg was my mom's brother's son and was more like a big brother to me, we were close while we grew up despite our two-year age difference. Greg was a lighthearted guy who was barely ever serious but he also gave the best advice when I needed it. 

"I thought you were going to bail," Greg half hugged me and shook my hand. 

"If I knew you were here, I would've," I sarcastically retorted. 

"I missed you too, brother," Greg laughed.

The terrace was a perfect spot for gatherings, Owen had a set of outdoor sofas in front of a stonepit fireplace, soft music came from two speakers set up and on the opposite end of the seating area was a BBQ grill. 

I recognized most of Owen's guests from his wedding but I was not in the mood for mingling, I preferred to sit in a corner by myself and leave at the soonest. Owen's sisters and their husbands were there as well as Greg's latest girlfriend. Faith's brother and his fiancé flew over for her birthday and after I greeted everyone and made lousy small talk, I searched for a seat away from the crowd. 

"Double on the rocks," Owen handed me a glass of whiskey and I couldn't have been more relieved. 

"You read my mind," I took the glass from him and straight away took a sip. 

I noticed that I was pretty much surrounded by couples and even though I was pissed at Mila, I missed her like crazy. I wished Owen's sister brought her five-year-old son, Dylan who was with me a lot of the time during Owen's wedding but she said it was her night off as a mom.

Greg introduced me to his girlfriend that he'd been seeing for a while now. "Mitch, meet Hayden."

Hayden and Greg complimented each other and she was very different from his usual type. Hayden seemed shy and a little introverted, she was petite and very short with tanned skin, dark hair, and light brown eyes. 

"It's nice to meet you, Mitch," Hayden extended her hand for me to shake. "Greg has spoken a lot about you."

I shook her hand and smiled, "I hope good things."

"You want me to lie to my girlfriend?" Greg raised a brow. 

"Don't listen to him, he was all praise," Hayden smiled. "And he wasn't kidding when he said everyone in his family is tall."

"That's only because you're pocket-sized, baby," Greg teased and she playfully glowered at him.

"Don't forget dynamite comes in small packages too," she retorted and Greg responded with something flirtatiously that I tuned out of. 

I took another large gulp of whiskey and savored the taste from the chilled, amber-colored drink. I pulled my phone out to check if Mila texted or tried to call again but wasn't surprised when I got nothing. 

"Where's your lovely lady?" Greg's voice diverted my attention. "I thought she'd be here with you."

I wish she was. 

"She couldn't make it," I dryly responded. "She's got a lot to do in New York before she begins her residency."

"That explains why you're extra broody," Greg commented. "I don't blame you; Mila is your kryptonite but also your life force."

You have no fucking idea.

I grimaced, chose not to reply, and instead took another sip of my drink. "Enough about me, tell me how you guys met?"

Greg and Hayden were so in love that my one question made Greg forget all about me and Mila. He went on to explain how they were colleagues and friends at work for years, they only hit it off at a work trip a few months back. 

As the night went on, my mood didn't get any better but whiskey helped keep my mind off my petty fight with Mila. I continuously checked my phone to see if she tried to reach out but her ego was possibly bigger than mine because she didn't even drop a text. Her silence and the fact that she was out at a club made me anxious which resulted in me drinking more than I anticipated. 

I mostly spent time with Greg, exchanged a few words with Owen's and Faith's family, and stood beside Owen while he barbequed. Owen and Greg asked about my trip and I gave vague answers because I didn't want to reminisce and miss my crazy Mila even more. 

My bladder gave me a breather from conversing and I asked Faith where the bathroom was when I went inside. "Third door on your right down the hall," Faith pointed in the direction. "And don't worry, Owen flushes all the time now," she teased with a small laugh. 

Mila would've appreciated that.

When I was done, I made my way out to see Faith seated in the living room on a FaceTime call with someone. 

"We'll just double celebrate when I see you," the feminine voice from her speaker spoke and I immediately recognized it. 

Mila. 

"It feels incomplete without you here, Mils," Faith responded while I stood like a creepy lurker a few feet behind Faith. "And Mitch certainly misses you, he's brooding more than usual."

"Ugh," Mila responded and I tilted my head to the side to see if I could catch a glimpse of Mila's face without being noticed. I didn't get a good view but I saw enough of her face, my chest tightened and I forgot I was mad at her for a moment as I watched her roll those big blue-green eyes. "Thanks for letting me know when he reached in one piece, I know how he can abuse poor Barry on the road and it makes me uneasy."

You could've asked me and I would've responded in a heartbeat. 

"Do you seriously name all of his cars?" Faith softly laughed. 

"Not just his cars," Mila replied and the sound of her voice acted as a tranquilizer but also made me more angsty.

"Anyway, I'm chaperoning my brothers and it's really loud in here, I'll talk to you tomorrow," Mila said. 

I lost any sense of calmness when I heard she was at the club, I hoped that Leo was responsible and took care of her. I wished I was there with her and while I was concerned for her wellbeing, I was also jealous of every fucker that was around her while I miserably sat thousands of miles away. It was petty and fucked up but my intoxicated mind couldn't have been bothered at that moment.

Annoyed at Mila again, I shoved a hand in my pocket and made my way out in search of another drink. But before I could head out, Faith heard my footsteps and glanced at me over her shoulder. "Oh, look who it is," Faith announced with a smile. "It's your beau, wanna say hi?"

I caught a clearer view of Faith's phone and stared at Mila's wide eyes, she looked as beautiful as ever with half her brown, wavy hair pulled back. Her perfect face was fully visible and her full, pink lips parted a little as she stared at me through the screen. She wore light makeup and from what I could tell, whatever she wore had a bit of a deep neckline because her olive skin glowed in the dim lighting she sat in. 

I gulped and was ready to give in but I recalled our argument and the fact that I missed her like a crazy person made me angrier at her for some reason. I put up a hand and shook my head, "I'm good, I don't want to be a pest and ruin her night."

Faith's smile faded and I refused to look at Mila because I knew I'd melt or just get more mad at her for being so far, so without another glance or word, I stepped outside.

I got another double whiskey and stood alone by the balcony, I wished I had a damn cigarette on me because even alcohol didn't clear my head. I took a large gulp before Faith appeared next to me. "You and Mila got into a fight," she stated. 

I deeply sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. "More like a stupid argument."

Faith shook her head and grinned. "Even madly in love you two argue like kids."

I half shrugged and took another sip. "Just a day in the life of Mila and Mitch."

"You miss her," Faith mused. "And trust me, getting mad at someone when you miss them is a real thing."

"That and Mila can be a real pain in the ass sometimes," I exhaled through my lips. "I love her like crazy but fuck, she knows how to test me."

Faith softly laughed. "Just a day in the life of M&M."

I made a sound that sounded between a scoff and laugh. "I can't even argue with that."

I shook my head and took another large gulp of my drink. "How many Spanish curse words did she describe me as when I walked off?"

"Not a lot," Faith mused with a growing smile. "She couldn't hear nicely over the noise but she did say that your attitude stinks worse than your balls."

I chuckled and shook my head. "Of course, she did."

"She misses you too," Faith said softly. "Don't give her such a hard time, she's new at this relationship thing, and believe me when I say, she's doing her best to make you happy."

"She doesn't need to do anything, I'm happy just being with her," I admitted honestly. "I just hate this fucking distance between us!"

Faith placed her hand on my arm. "If anyone can make it through a small obstacle like distance, it's you guys. It'll just take a little time to adjust."

I took in a breath and stiffly nodded. "Come on, at least try to enjoy the rest of your night."

"I'm right behind you," I mumbled and wanted a moment alone. 

Faith nodded, tapped my arm conformingly, and took a step to walk off but before she could, I stopped her. "Is she alright and is Leo with her?"

Faith looked at me knowingly. "Yes, she's perfectly fine and Leo is sober and playing bodyguard to all the Brinson kids tonight."

That relieved me a little, if anyone could've taken care of Mila, it was Leo. I didn't particularly like the guy but I knew he cared for her and wouldn't let anything happen to her. I didn't like that he was with her instead of me but I appreciated his presence and it assured me she would be safe. 

Once I knew Mila was safe, I lightened up just a little. Greg and Owen made me laugh and being with my two best buds, helped fix my mood. The night went smoothly, Mila was still on my mind but I wasn't as bothered as I was when I arrived. 

Time flew by and I had a good night, I had one too many drinks so Owen insisted I took a cab home instead but Greg, who was pretty much sober, dropped me home. I wasn't wasted but I had enough alcohol in my system to knock me out as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I had no idea how long I was asleep but it felt like a few minutes when my ringing phone disturbed me. With closed eyes, I tapped the nightstand until I found the fucking device, I lifted my head off the pillow and squinted my eyes to see who called at one in the morning.

I was ready to cut the call but Mila's picture with her name on the screen awakened me immediately. It was after four in the morning in New York and I wondered why she called so late. 

I slid my finger across the screen, dropped my cheek back against the pillow, and with closed eyes I mumbled, "Hmm?"

"Mitch," Mila muttered softly and sniffed which told me she was crying.

"Mila?" I opened both my eyes and I was wide awake. "What's wrong, baby?"

A/N Whose side are you guys on, Mitch or Mila? Did Mitch overreact or should Mila be a little more serious sometimes?

Let me know your thoughts,
Till then,
Tina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.2K 1.4K 41
C O M P L E T E D "Date me," he spins the whiskey around in the glass and fixes me with a smirk. I roll my eyes the moment the words roll off his ton...
104K 1.7K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...
8.5K 224 54
"Listen I know we've been flirting and shit but that doesn't mean I like you, okay" I cross my arms again and slightly smirk. He smirks down at me an...
10.1K 1.2K 64
We were together. I forgot the rest. A car accident got me to suffer from amnesia, leading me to cross the paths of a rockstar. I assume I had never...