Fractured | Ninjago AU (EXAMS...

By LuckyBugBooks

"Sometimes what's broken isn't as broken as you think." ~*~*~*~ Master Wu's School for Self-Discovery. A sch... More

Introduction
Prologue
CHAPTER ONE ~ ROOTS
~ Part 1 ~ | Paper Monsters
~ Part 2 ~ | Spiders Take A Beating
~ Part 3 ~ | First Impressions
~ Part 4 ~ | Wake-Up Call
~ Part 5~ | A Little Bit of Stupid
~ Part 6~ | The Act We Make
~ Part 7~ | The Lies We Tell
~ Part 8~ | The Words We Say
~ Part 9~ | Some People Walk in the Rain, Others Just Get Wet
~ Part 10~ | New Beginnings
CHAPTER TWO ~ THE GREEN NINJA
~ Part 1~ | Messages
~ Part 2 ~ | Taking The City
~ Part 3 ~ | The Strange Girl In The Elevator
~ Part 4 ~ | Losing Control
~ Part 5 ~ | Hearts Racing
~ Part 6~ | Home
~ Part 7~ | One Last Thing
~ Part 8~ | Lloyd Garfield
~ Part 9 ~ | The Boy Out of Time
~ Part 10 ~ | Pride and Prejudice
~ Part 11 ~ | Childish Pranks and Teenage Girl Gossip
~ Part 12~ | A Little Bit Of Advice
~ Part 13~ | Wondering
~ Part 14~ | Maybe Father Doesn't Know Best
~ Part 15~ | The Interview
~ Part 16~ | We Are Not Alone
~ Part 16.5 ~ | 15K Bonus Scene
CHAPTER THREE ~ GHOST STORY
~ Part 1~ | We Are All Together
~ Part 2~ | Nerds Alike
~ Part 3 ~| A Visitor
~ Part 4 ~ | A Million Little Mistakes Can Become So Big
~ Part 5 ~ | Slipping Through My Fingers
~ Part 6 ~ | To Earn One's Respect
~ Part 7 ~ | Tell Me A Story
~ Part 8 ~ | Early Morning Thoughts
~ Part 9 ~ | A Small Step Forward
~ Part 10 ~ | Pixal's Answer
~ Part 12 ~ | Pressure
~ Part 13 ~ | Rooftop Talks
~ Part 14 ~ | All You Ever Wanted
~ Part 15 ~ | The Boy in The Painting
~ Part 16 ~ | I'm Here (Literally and Metaphorically)
~ Part 17 ~ | Waving Goodbye
~ Part 18 ~ | Acid & Emerald
~ Part 19 ~ | A Very Fond Farewell
CHAPTER FOUR ~ Tournament of Elements
~ Part 1~ | Opportunities
~ Part 2~ | Don't You Hold Back
~ Part 3 ~ | Into the Lion's Den
NOTE (I'm not giving up on this book I promise)

~ Part 11 ~ | Memories

479 35 43
By LuckyBugBooks

~ Part 11 ~ | Memories

~*~*~*~

** Remember Me (Coco) **

~*~*~*~

"Remember me
Though I have to say goodbye
Remember me
Don't let it make you cry
Forever if I'm far away
I hold you in my heart
I sing a secret song to you
Each night we are apart"

~ Miguel

****

This chapter is dedicated to @BlueJayXWaterlily851. Thank you for the comments and for looking at the songs I choose!

(comment or PM if you'd like a shoutout!)

*****

A soft sigh filled the quiet evening as caring hands dabbed gently at a wound. A hiss followed and the hand dropped apologetically. A little boy pulled back, his hand moving protectively over the cut. The kind man treating it smiled gently at him, his face open and trusting. The boy took a deep breath, his tense form relaxing as he allowed the man to continue to clean the injury.

"You can't keep rushing into danger," He scolded. His brown eyes were loving but full of nervous energy. "You're lucky that tree missed you."

There was a sniffle. "The falcon was injured, it couldn't get free from the trap." A worried coo sounded from the bed beside them. The boy smiled, reaching his pale hand to stroke the bird's feathers reassuringly. He let out another pained sound as the cloth hit the broken skin.

There was a tired chuckle. "You were built to protect." He said fondly, ruffling the boy's hair. "To protect those who cannot protect themselves."

"I just want to help." The boy said sincerely. Wrinkles formed around the edges of his eyes as he smiled.

"I know."

****

"There isn't much work around here. We're too far into the middle of nowhere." The man said heavily. "Maybe I shouldn't have rejected that job offer."

"It was a great distance away," The boy was older now. His voice was deeper and he had grown much taller, towering over the aged man like a beanstalk. "You said there was something off about them. You must trust your judgement."

"I know but the money is running out," The man tossed the bills back on the table and leaned back, wincing as his back cracked. "And I'm not getting any younger. People are looking for new, innovative minds. Not an old crow like me."

The boy shook his head with a faint smile. He moved to the sink to take care of the piles of dishes. The man always put it off for too long. The rush of water filled the quiet as he scrubbed at a mug.

"What should we do?" He asked softly.

The man looked away, his body sad. "We could move..." he said slowly.

The boy turned in alarm. His blue eyes were wide. "But I love it here."

"I know but the city has more job opportunities," The man pointed out. "And the school has far better education."

"I do not need a different education. I am far ahead of people my age because of you." The boy said. His tone was flat and factual as if he was doing a presentation.

"There are also other kids," The man gave him a long look. "You should be out with friends your age! Meeting the love of your life, making mistakes, and having fun! Not stuck in this cold little cottage with me!"

The boy fell quiet. His eyes stayed glued to the rim of the cup. "I do not need anyone else." He said firmly. "I like it here. At our home. With you and Merlin." He nodded to the falcon. The great bird was perched on his swing, cleaning his feathers diligently.

The man let out a long exhale, rubbing his forehead. "Alright," he said at last. "But if I don't get a job by next month we're going to have to do something."

****

A loud clanking noise filled the air and the boy flinched, nearly crashing into the man. The older male rested a hand on his shoulder and gave him a comforting squeeze.

"It's just a train," he said soothingly.

The boy wrinkled his nose. "It smells awful here. Are the emissions not dangerous for the townspeople?"

"It's okay as long as there isn't too much of it." The man told him. "Don't worry, you don't have to come to the station when I return. It's a long walk and I know you're uncomfortable."

"I will wait for you." The boy said quickly. "I do not mind walking."

The man smiled. "Alright. Remember that I come off at section five then."

The boy nodded. He wouldn't forget. "Do you have everything?"

"Yes, uh, I think so." The man let out a puff of air. It created a warm fog in the chilly air. He bent down to grab his leather suitcase before turning to the boy. "Will you be alright while I'm gone? I know you didn't want me to take this job." He was worried. His crooked fingers fiddled anxiously at his sleeve as he brushed some of his son's hair from his eyes.

"You had to," the boy gently raised a hand to the side of the man's face so they would lock eyes. "I'm sure they're wonderful people. Maybe the uncomfortable feeling was social anxiety."

The man barked with laughter. "That sounds about right." He sobered quickly and hugged the boy. The suitcase knocked painfully against the boy's shoulder but he didn't mind.

"I'll see you in two weeks," the man promised.

"Two weeks." The boy repeated. He'd count down every second.

The man went to get on the train then hesitated. "Are you sure you'll be okay?"

The boy smiled. "What trouble can I get into while you are away?"

"Alright," the man sighed. He gave one last hug goodbye before clambering onto the train. The boy watched as the white-haired man slid into a window seat and looked back at him. "I love you, Zane." He mouthed through the window.

Zane placed a hand over his heart. "I love you too father."

****

"Zane?"

The boy was startled, blinking in confusion as he tried to figure out where he was.

Sink. Towel. Window. Teapot.

He was in the kitchen.

Zane's shoulders fell and the tension rushed out of his body easily as he turned to who called to him. Misako looked at him with concern, a kind look in her eye. "Are you alright, sweetie?" She asked.

"I am fine," Zane assured. "My mind wandered, that is all."

Misako laughed. "I understand. I tend to get sidetracked, especially when doing repetitive tasks." She nodded to the dishes he was cleaning. Zane chuckled along with her, a steady silence falling between them. It was surprisingly comfortable considering the tense relationship between Misako and her son. Perhaps it was because they were both quiet souls.

Zane hummed softly as he let his thoughts wander. He considered Misako, a very motherly woman with a seemingly calm and kind personality, who had abandoned her child, Lloyd, who also had a sweet, soft interior to him. He wondered why someone who appeared to be so good could do something so bad.

The young man looked back at Misako. If she noticed her gaze she gave no sign of it. Her eyes stayed on her work as she carefully poured the hot water into the cup. Lifting it so it could swirl around before pouring it into another. Her movements were comfortable as if she had done it a million times. She tipped the green tea powder in easily and then dipped the bamboo whisk in. The water turned a beautiful green colour as she stirred, filling the air with the sweet and herby aroma.

"Would you like some?" Misako offered.

Zane shook his head. "I am certain Wu would not mind a cup though."

Misako's lips twitched. "I agree." She went on to do the same routine and Zane watched her, something niggling at the back of his mind.

"Ms. Montgomery," Zane said at last.

Misako placed down the cup so she could look at him. "Yes?" She asked expectantly.

"If I can be so bold," Zane continued respectfully. "I would like to ask you a personal question."

She blinked in surprise before nodding. The blonde took a deep breath. "I'm curious as to why you returned for Lloyd after all these years. After all this time... why now? Why did you not want to see him then? What has changed?"

Zane always thought of himself as a mediator. He was the glue. He didn't often take sides and he liked playing the devil's advocate. But when someone leaves their child? Especially one as bright-eyed and innocent as Lloyd? Zane can't help but need to press for what is going on in their head. For why on earth they would leave him! Zane often feels left behind and he doesn't want Lloyd to feel that feeling ever again.

Misako appeared a little taken aback. Something conflicting flickered across her eyes as she sat silently. Her gaze moved to her cup but this time it seemed glued there. Cold, rigid ice overtook the room and Zane realized that now the silence was almost suffocating.

"I..." Misako swallowed. "When I left... I didn't plan when I'd come back... or even if I would. I didn't think about how our lives would change- how he would change. How I would change. I just remember being scared, terrified. As time passed it began to set in that he may never want me back... or if he did would I be able to rise to the role he needed me to be?"

She sighed, pushing the tea to the side. "Weeks turned to months. Months turned to years. And suddenly I felt more lost than I had been before I left. It took some time but eventually, I had some help... some people helped me learn to live again. To love again. To laugh. But by then it was too late." She shrugged. "I had already done the deed and I wanted to punish myself for it. I thought I had to pay the price." She leaned back, a whimsical, faraway look in her eyes as she choked up, staring out the window.

"And then I saw him. I saw him. A scruffy little boy with a bad haircut standing up in front of millions of people and talking about a new world, about making a difference and taking the plunge." Misako's lips turned in a watery smile. "As I watched him... I suddenly remembered what it was like to be a mother. To be proud of your child? Oh, it's one of the most wonderful feelings."

Misako let out a shaky breath and she moved forward, hunching over. "I came here... and I talked to Wu. I saw Lloyd. I saw who he's become and then I thought about all I've lost..." Misako closed her eyes. Slowly she opened them. Her green gaze locked in on Zane's. It was hard with something he couldn't place. "Losing a child is the worst pain anybody could ever feel. I've lost Lloyd too many times. Who knows what could happen next! I've already thrown too much away."

Zane nodded in understanding. He reached to touch her shoulder. Misako smiled at him gratefully. "I hope," Zane inhaled deeply. "That you will become the mother Lloyd deserves. Because you have an amazing, kind, beautiful child. He's found his place. He's found some good people. But there's always room for more."

Misako reached up to place her hand over his. "Thank you, Zane." She whispered. The woman stood, taking the tea in her hand and nodded to him. She turned and quietly left the room. The door shut slowly with a click. Zane shakily wiped his hands. The weight of the conversation set in on his heart.

Zane was glad that he talked to her. It provided a new perspective for both of them. He hoped that putting feelings into words helped Misako gain more clarity. Zane knew that Kai would see his aid as a bad thing. He believed that Misako was the villain in this story and that the ending was as simple as taking her out. But Kai could have a very black and white mindset at times. Sometimes you need the grey area. Sometimes the villain isn't a villain at all. Maybe they're just someone who needs a little help.

I just want to help.

A little boy whispered in his mind.

Zane closed his eyes. His heart was beating softly in his head. Something calm and good swirled in his soul.

A crooked smile replied.

I know.

NOTE*****
This chapter originally launched straight into Nya and Pixal's sleepover but I felt that transition had been messy. I wanted to fix more on Zane so I decided to cut that out and try to link his story to Misako and Lloyd's.

The chapter begins and ends with the aftermath of Zane helping someone. It goes through some of Zane's memories before he helps Misako pull from her own past so he could understand who she is.

This chapter delves into how people can do bad things. And bad people can do good things. It's something that's always fascinated me and I love writing about it.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Sorry it took so long to come out!

If I make it to 20K I'll add a bonus scene!

LuckyBugBooks🐞

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 126 9
Fugidove, a boy who became a "criminal" due to the admiration he had for the masters of spinjitsu, especially one of them. Jay Walker. Being a fan wa...
2K 156 7
I was someone from another Realm, one that no one could find the name of. I mysteriously appeared within Ninjago as a child, and I was saved from cer...
223 6 5
TW: Blatant homophobia, swearing, death,and more serious topics. Also, please bear with me, that I have no idea how pirate ships work! And looking up...
1.1K 43 23
(Takes place after season 6) The ninja figured out that the people of ninjago city hate them even after what they've done to protect them. Zane espec...