Dragon of Legend: Fate (BK4)

By voif1d

Something is not quite right with the Rider of Legend. Something is terribly wrong. Yet when Akira refuses to... More

Dragon of Legend; Fate (BK4)
chapter 2
chapter 4
chapter 5
Chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
Chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
Chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
Chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32 (Final)
Epilogue
Qs and As

chapter 3

30.7K 442 50
By voif1d

Chapter 3 “Dreams vs Reality”

Akira froze. For a moment she stood, letting the scream echoing in her ears before she jumped into action.

Dropping the dagger beside the present for Gina she whirled and grabbed her sword from the chest before running from the room. Adrenaline pumped through her as she realized that something was wrong.

She flew down the corridor, cursing her dress under her breath for making it so much harder to run. Her destination was the one place she was sure the scream had come from, the place where all her friends were gathered, the mess hall.

Akira reached it within moments and flew through the open door. The music was no longer playing and students were standing all around, looking confused. A few were murmuring rapidly to their friends, gesturing in a direction where a crowd was gathering.

It was in that direction that Akira headed. The students parted, making way for her.

Upon reaching the small crowd Akira saw that Gina was holding the hand of a sobbing girl while Drake stood nearby, looking more than worried. Seth was standing to one side and Akira saw him exchange a glance with Brandon who was pushing his way through.

“They just…disappeared,” the sobbing girl got out.

“Shh,” Gina told her gently. She lifted her head and when her eyes met Akira’s she felt shock at the fear she saw in her friends.

“Now then, what’s the problem?” Brandon spoke as he reached the sobbing girl.

“I was…just talking to them and then they both…just vanished!” the girl seemed to become hysteric as she stared at Brandon with wide eyes. “One moment they were there and the next they were…were…gone!”

Akira’s gaze flew to Seth as she wondered who the girl was talking about.

“Who was gone?” Brandon asked somewhat gentler.

“Lin…Lindsy and L...Liam,” the girl sobbed.

“Not just them, didn’t you see that Dominique guy disappear while dancing?” someone in the crowd asked in a loud voice.

Confused murmuring began to break out.

Akira froze. Slowly she looked around. Lindsy, Liam and Dominique vanishing into thin air? Coming to think of it, she couldn’t see Anita, Jeremiah or Isaac either. The entire group from the future was missing.

“Now now students, calm down please!” Brandon called out. “Riders vanishing into thin air? Honestly, I think you have more sense than to believe that. Speaking of which, just how much wine have you all had to drink?”

There were a few sheepish chuckles all around yet Akira noticed that the students who had been among those that had been let into the secret about the time travel between the past and future, were shooting each other knowing looks.

“How about you all get back to celebrating and I’ll get this sorted out?” Brandon asked.

“That’s right, this is a party after all!” a student yelled. Akira recognized him as one of those who knew about the time travel. The others around him all agreed and held up their mugs, letting out a cheer.

This seemed to break the tension and as the music resumed the students all began to go back to what they had been doing, seeming to throw aside all doubts.

Akira saw Seth meet the eyes of the guy who had shouted the outburst. Both guys nodded at each other and Akira realized Seth was thanking him. For the group of students that had been sworn to secrecy knew that Brandon did not want the other students to know and so were purposely helping the others cast aside their doubts by acting normally.

Brandon murmured something to the sobbing girl and she seemed to calm down somewhat. He then nodded to two girls who came and took over for Gina, taking the sobbing girl and leading her away.

“Oh boy, please don’t tell me Dominique decided to take them all back to his time in the middle of a party,” Will murmured as he appeared beside Akira.

Akira didn’t reply. “Akira,” Gina came up to her. “I was dancing with Dominique and he just left.”

“What an idiot,” Drake muttered as he slung an arm around Gina. “Disappearing like that where everyone can see him, and taking the others along to!”

Akira and Gina stared at each other, the same thought going through their mind. They didn’t bother to correct Drake, to tell him that in order for everyone from the future to disappear they would all have to be near the one that could travel, which in this case would have been Dominique. Yet Dominique had been dancing and while Liam and Lindsy seemed to have been together the others had not.

Confusion filled Akira. This was just too odd.

“Ree?” she demanded, her grip around her sword tightening.

 “Daffodil is gone, I can’t find the others either,” Redemption replied, referring to the dragons from the future.

Gina’s eyes widened, showing that Redemption had let her hear him.

Akira’s eyes narrowed. Lindsy’s dragon as well as the others from the future disappearing as well? There was no way they could have time travelled with Dominique being up in the Academy while they were in the courtyard.

“Ree, we’re leaving. I’m coming to the courtyard,” Akira told her dragon firmly, making up her mind in a moment.

Something was wrong, and she needed to find out what it was fast. The only way to do so was to travel to the future itself and check in with Dominique and the others or at least take a look to see what was going on.

She saw Brandon say something to Seth who nodded before he turned to Akira and began to make his way over. Seeing the worry in Seth’s eyes Akira turned to go, she needed to find out what was going on. She only made it a few steps when someone grabbed her arm.

Akira turned to see Gina staring at her with a terrified gaze.

“Akira,” Gina whispered brokenly. “Something is wrong. What of Dominique disappeared because…because either Drake or I are going to die?” she whispered.

Firmly Akira grabbed a hold of her friend’s shoulders. “Gina, pull yourself together,” she told her. “If that was the case only Dominique would have disappeared and even then, he would have disappeared the moment one of you died, not before,” her eyes wondered back to the party to see a few riders were shooting glances over in their direction. “I’ll find out what’s going on Gina but I need you to stay calm. This is your party. You don’t want the others to begin to worry do you?”

Gina shook her head.

“Good, then go have fun,” Akira told her.

Gina gave her a half hearted smile, yet the worry in her eyes was still evident.

“Akira,” Seth reached her and grabbing her arm pulled her away from Gina. Stopping he turned to gaze down at her.

“I’m going Seth,” Akira told him as she stared at him with determination in her eyes.

“I know, I’m coming with you,” Seth told her in reply.

Akira nodded and turning headed from her room.

“Get changed, prepare yourself just in case,” Seth told Akira as he fell into step beside her. “We can’t rush into this.”

Akira nodded. She had learned her lesson before about what happened when she rushed into situations without being prepared.

“We’ll meet in the courtyard and Akira,” Seth stopped walking and Akira followed his lead, turning to face him. “There may be nothing wrong here,” Seth told her gently.

Akira nodded, feeling grateful that Seth was trying to reassure her, and yet deep down she knew that something was indeed very wrong.

Splitting up from Seth Akira hurried to her room. She threw her sword on her bed before she hurried over to the chest at the end of her bed. Opening it she took out everything from inside and began to strip out of her blue dress, slipping into her white rider cloths instead. From the boots to her gloves she left nothing out, even deciding to take her helmet.

Grabbing her sword from her bed she proceeded to strap it to her back. Once done she grabbed her helmet and tucked it under one arm. Catching sight of the dagger on her bed she paused, considering if she should take it along. After a moment’s hesitation she snatched it from where it lay and tucked it into a small pocket in her boot before she turned and hurried from the room.

With the corridors being empty she reached the lift in no time.

“You ready Ree?” Akira asked as the lift began to descend.

“I’m guessing armor isn’t an option,” Redemption thought in reply.

“It would take too long,” was Akira’s answer.

“Then yeah, hurry up and get your butt down her, cause we’re all ready,” Redemption thought.

It didn’t take long for Akira to reach the courtyard. She found Redemption and Emerald, Seth’s dragon, standing there. Seth, clad in battle gear with both his swords strapped to his back, was already mounted on Emerald. Redemption was waiting for Akira, a dragon saddle on his back.

Akira noted that Seth must have tacked up both dragons.

“Yeah that he did, while you were taking your time getting changed. Honestly, why does it take girls so long to get ready?” Redemption asked as Akira swung herself on his back.

Not replying Akira jammed her helmet on.

Redemption let out a sigh. “I see, so it’s one of those times to be serious.” With a shake of his head he spread his wings and took off, Emerald following close on his tail.

Neither dragons nor riders spoke as they headed away from the Academy. Each were lost in their own thoughts as they wondered what they would find in the following moments.

“Here is fine,” Akira spoke when they had gone a good distance from the Academy.

“You sure?” Redemption thought as he eyed the ground below skeptically. “It’s going to be pretty close to Academy City when we go over to that time.”

Just do it Ree,” Akira though grimly in reply.

In response Redemption began to descend and moments later his paws touched the ground. Emerald landed beside him. Akira looked over at Seth and he nodded.

“Let’s go,” Akira told her dragon.

A few moments later the two dragons and riders seemed to begin to shimmer before they suddenly began to fade and then disappeared altogether.

For Akira it felt the same as usual. One moment she was staring at the lush landscape before her when suddenly there was a roaring in her ears and a bright light seemed to appear. In the next moment, the scenery changed as always as Redemption took her to a completely different time, a time in the future.

Yet this time, the scenery was nothing like before. Instead of the tall buildings towering towards the sky that marked the busy Academy city, Akira was greeted by a bleak, scorched land.

“What in the Lands?” Seth asked from beside Akira as he took in the scenery.

Akira felt dread fill her as she saw a few dead trees around here and there. The sky was filled with gray clouds and there was a thunder in the distance. The air felt heavy, giving off the feeling that something evil lurked about, and the smell, the smell was one of death, yet there were no bodies around.

Looking around Akira realized that this was familiar, she had seen this before. Yet how was it here? Up to now it had always been but a dream.

 Panic filled her as her eyes snapped in to the direction of where the Academy was supposed to be.

“Ree, take me to the Academy now!” Akira demanded.

“Kiddo?”

“Just go!” Akira demanded.

Without another word of protest Redemption lifted his wings and took off.

“Akira?” Seth called.

Akira did not reply, leaning forward as Redemption flew towards where the Academy was. She stared at the ground below as they flew. There seemed to be no life whatsoever anywhere, no plants and not even a bird.

“Kiddo?” Redemption sounded beyond confused and Akira turned her gaze up ahead.

“Land,” she demanded.

Redemption did as he was told and Akira slipped from his back, her eyes glued to the scene before her.

There was a flap of wings behind her.

“Akira!” Seth called.

Akira ignored him as she tore her helmet from her head to get a better look. She continued walking a few paces before she froze, staring at what lay ahead. The helmet dropped from her fingers, landing on the ground with a thump. Akira’s legs felt weak, as though they would buckle at any moment.

The Academy building no longer stood. It lay in ruins, just like in Akira’s dreams. Panic filled her as Akira’s eyes wondered to the peak of the rubble. Her breathing became rapid as stared at the flat slab that lay on top of it. Fear filled her at what she would find. She could picture it clearly from her dream, the black dragon that stood there.

 Yet surprise filled her when instead of a black dragon Akira found the giant flat slab on top of the rubble empty.

“What in the Lands is this?” Seth asked from beside Akira as he stared at the Academy.

“It’s real,” Akira whispered. It was just like her nightmare, and yet here she was, with Seth standing beside her, facing it in reality.

Her mind raced. What was this? Where were Dominique and the others? Where was the Academy city?

“Something is wrong,” Seth murmured.

“No, seriously, you think?” Redemption thought dryly, not budging from where he stood as he gazed at the ruins before him.

“No, that’s not what I mean,” Seth shook his head. “Can’t you see? The cliff, it’s still here.”

“Make sense boy,” Redemption thought.

“The cliff is as tall as in our time. In the future the cliff was almost completely gone. The Academy was almost at ground level.” He whirled around. “There are also no ruins of the city. No sign to show that it was ever here,” he turned back to the remains of the Academy.

Akira stood as though in a trance, not hearing Seth’s words at all, yet Redemption was listening to him closely.

“What are you saying?” he asked.

“The time,” Seth spoke, “it’s wrong. This isn’t five hundred years in the future, it can’t be.” He turned to look at Redemption. “I don’t think this is even a hundred years in the future.”

“Impossible,” Redemption snorted. “Akira and I have only ever traveled between our time and Dominique’s and I sure didn’t try otherwise this time.”

“Redemption,” Seth stared at the white dragon. “This can’t be more than ten years in the future at the most!”

Redemption stared at him in disbelief.

“He’s right,” Emerald thought as she stared at the cliff. “The cliff says it all. It’s in too good a shape for this to be much later. If it was it would have to be shorter…more rugged. The weather would have changed it…” she trailed off.

Akira stood where she was, seeming to not have heard a single thing that had been said in the last moments as her eyes stayed glued to the top of the rubble, as though searching for something.

Suddenly she walked backwards, her eyes wide with fear. “We have to get out of here,” she whispered.

Seth shot her a look. “Akira?”

“We have to go, now!” Akira replied, panic in her voice. She turned and grabbed her helmet of the ground before hurrying towards Redemption.

Seth did not argue and followed her lead. He reached Emerald and mounted her with one smooth motion.

“I don’t like this,” Emerald thought for her rider to hear. “There is something evil about this place Seth,” even as she spoke Redemption began to take them back in time, not bothering to distance himself from the Academy.

“It doesn’t make sense,” Seth thought as the roaring filled his ears. One moment he was staring at the ruins of the Academy and the next the sound of twittering birds greeted him and the bright sunshine shone overhead, revealing the majestic Academy building before him. Like always, it stood in all its glory as it toward towards the sky.

“We need to talk with Brandon,” Seth spoke.

Akira nodded curtly and Redemption lifted into the air, flying up beside the steep cliff towards the Academy courtyard. Emerald followed closely.

Although the sun was making its descent other than a few dragons, the courtyard was abandoned with the students and teachers still being in the mess hall and celebrating.

Redemption landed but Akira sat on his back, staring at the Academy building and yet not seeming to see it. Seth slipped from Emerald’s back and shot Akira a worried look before he turned and quickly and skillfully un-tacked Emerald.

He dumped the saddle on one of the benches that still stood from the wedding sermon before he turned to Akira.

“You okay?” he asked softly.

Akira blinked, seeming to come out of her trance. “How is it possible…what happened?”

“We’ll find out,” Seth told Akira, sounding more than confident.

“Ree, it’s just like–” Akira thought as she slipped from Redemption’s back.

“Your dreams, I know,” Redemption thought in reply, purposely keeping Seth from hearing the conversation as he knew Akira had told no one of her dreams.

“But how?” Akira thought as she un-tacked Redemption.

“It’s probably just coincidence,” Redemption thought, though he didn’t sound convinced.

Without replying Akira dumped her saddle beside Seth’s.

“Let’s go. Brandon said he’d be waiting for us,” Seth spoke as he took Akira’s hand in his.

Akira shot a look towards her dragon.

“I’ll be listening in kiddo,” he assured her.

Not resisting as Seth pulled her towards the Academy Akira let herself fall back into her thoughts.

What was going on? How was it that Dominique and the others just suddenly disappeared without a trace and then when travelling to the future they ended up in a time that wasn’t right? A time where the land around the Academy looked worse than Haiden’s lands had been during his reign. A time where the Academy itself, the Academy that not even Haiden had been able to take, lay in ruins?

She was so lost in her thoughts that Akira jumped in surprise when Seth gave her a nudge. Upon seeing that they had arrived before the door that lead to the room Brandon would be waiting in, Akira reached a hand forward and pushed the door open, not even bothering to knock.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97 12 11
"I think... This is the biggest mistake I've made in my life..." (Kamen Rider as a whole is owned by Toei, although Akasei Jin and his lore are my ow...
479 8 29
Since the dawn of her existence, Akira has kept a ruthless and other-worldly power caged inside of her. Her five zodiac spirit guardians, who have be...
Ultima Ratio By Lauren W

Science Fiction

34.9K 2.5K 94
Willing to risk her life, a seasoned soldier recruits a vengeful goddess to fight a war of the future. *** When UN Army Captain Akira Dunn is sent to...