Burning Flame

By dilenu

Sequel of HEALING WOUNDS Featured on @AmbassadorsNG 26/11/21 With a blast from the past, an estranged husband... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 41 part 2
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Important Author's Note

Chapter 8

61 19 73
By dilenu

Maybe sometimes the hardest decisions we have to make are the ones God wants us to make ourselves.
                             — Unknown

Scrolling through the attendance list of her class, Dora's eyes stalled on one name.

Aramide Amanda Marcello-Adio.

The name invoked a memory and her mind flew to the meeting of a few days ago at the shopping mall.

How it all came to an end made Dora reel in surprise and bewilderment.

                    %%Flashback%%

"I would like for you to be Mide's home tutor."

Those words rang in her head and she stared in shock at the young woman across her.

There was nothing wrong with being Mide's tutor. But being her home tutor meant she had to go to their house.

A house where Gerald resided.

A lump formed in her throat and nausea washed over her as various thoughts ran through her mind.

The group was consumed in deafening silence.

The look of apprehension and discomfort she saw on the faces of the people around the table jolted her into action.

She struggled to find her words to put them out of misery.

Finally, the fog in her head cleared. She shifted in her seat and clasped her hands.

"I thank you for the offer." She made eye contact with Eleanor and swallowed. "But I would please like to think about it before I give a definite answer."

She watched Eleanor's shoulders visibly relax. And she felt the tension that loomed over the table slip away.

"Ahh, there is no problem with that." Eleanor smiled. "But I have a little request." She gave a sheepish grin.

"Please go ahead!" Dora smiled in encouragement.

"Um. . .please could you give us your answer by the end of this week?" A pleading look crossed her face. "We would like to make other arrangements just in case you decline."

Dora smiled. "That's no problem."

"Thank you so much!" Eleanor reciprocated her smile.

With that sorted out, the waiter appeared with the bill and it was paid by the man who was confirmed to Mide's father.

After the payment of the bill, the group rose and sauntered out of the restaurant.

At the exit of the mall, Dora bid them farewell and wandered off in the opposite direction.

However, one question followed them to their respective destination.

What would her answer be?

           %%End of flashback%%

Dora heaved a sigh as she came back to reality.

With just three days left before the end of the week, a decision had to be made.

Dora's brows furrowed as she mentally listed the pros and cons of saying yes or no.

A part of her wanted to say yes but something stalled her.

The repeated picture of Gerald in her mind increased the height of her fear and doubt.

She rubbed her forehead and groaned.

What should she do?

Her eyes stopped on her desk.

An abandoned attendance sheet glared at her and a stack of books waiting to be submitted mocked her.

Thoughts about making decisions flew to the back of her mind and she decided to focus on work.

She rose, carried the stack of books in the crook of her arm, and ambled out of the class.

The laughter of the children on the playground filled her ears as she walked down the aisle.

The scent of food wafted through her nose from the cafe filled with both teachers and students having lunch.

At last, she reached her destination— the staff room.

She ambled into the familiar space and her eyes subconsciously stopped on her former seat which was occupied by another teacher.

The surprising promotion she got the previous term moved her from the staff room into the class she now oversaw.

Dora shook her head in shock at the condition of the table.

The edges of the table were covered with dust. Books, papers were scattered all over the table. An empty packet of biscuits was tucked under one of the books.

Dora's hands itched to reach out and arrange it but she restrained herself and turned away.

She walked over to a table on the south side of the room. It boasted of a neater view. Dora swiftly dumped the books on the table and swung around.

Something drew her attention.

Her eyes stilled on something.

Her eyes stopped on her friend and colleague, Claudia, who she noticed was the only one present in the room.

She scanned her friend's face and she discovered something.

A sorrowful vibe overshadowed her.

She wore a forlorn look and omitted a vibe of unhappiness. Her face that was normally decked with makeup looked like a brush of makeup products hadn't touched It in days.
A faraway look danced in her eyes.

Dora's brows scrunched up and she hurried to her.

"Claudia! Claudia!" Dora's frown deepened as she didn't get a response. 

She stepped closer and placed a hand on Claudia's shoulder and shook her.
"Claudia, are you alright?"

"Uh?" Claudia's eyes flickered to her in confusion.

"Are you okay?" Dora's eyes shone with worry.

Claudia blinked and the faraway look in her eyes disappeared. "Oh, Dora!?"
She shook her head and her shoulder slumped. "I seriously don't know," she mumbled with downcast eyes.

Dora's heart ached for her friend as she watched despair gleam in her eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"Everything is," Her face morphed into a scowl.

Dora's heart broke further. She redrew her hand and moved a few steps away.

A dragging sound resonated through the room as Dora pulled a chair to Claudia's table and sat down.

"What happened? You can tell me anything." Dora gave her a smile of both compassion and encouragement.

Claudia averted her eyes and heaved a sigh. "I just realized that in a couple of weeks I will be 40 and I have nothing much to show for it." She sniffled. "No child, no husband, no relationship with God." A tear slip down her face. "I have nothing!" Her voice shook.

Dora felt her eyes moisten, she reached over and squeezed her hand in comfort. "You know, you always have the love of God."

Claudia looked at her with an indecipherable glint. "You know, sometimes I  envied you."

"Me?" Surprise washed over her.

"Yes, you!" Claudia gave a humorless laugh. "You know, there has been a kind of light that radiates over you no matter how bad the situation is." Her eyes lowered and she toyed with her fingers.

She looked back at Dora and leaned over. "I would like to know what the secret is." Anticipation burned in her eyes.

Dora reeled in shock. And her throat suddenly went dry. She offered a prayer for guidance and wisdom.

The longing that shone in her friend's eyes was overwhelming.

After a few beats of silence, Dora found herself saying one thing, "It's all God."

"Thought as much!" Claudia heaved a tired sigh. "Is it hard to get to know him?" Her brows drew together.

"No, not at all!" Dora's voice came out hoarse. "You just have to believe and let him be  Lord over your life."

"That's the problem there!" Claudia exclaimed with a loud voice. "For years, I have been used to depending on myself. It is difficult believing in someone I can't see."

Dora shook her head. "You don't need to see. You just need to feel his presence and love."

Dora's heart cracked as she watched conflict rise in her friend's eyes.

"I just don't know." She shook her head. "But I will think about it," she muttered under her breath. 

Just then the bell rang, bringing break time to a close.

Dora rose with a smile. "And I will be praying for you."

"Thank you so much! You have always been a good friend." Gratitude shimmered in her eyes.

"Don't mention it!" With one more smile, Dora ambled out.

Outside,  she stop and took a deep breath. The events that took place seemed unreal to her.

Her heart was filled with different emotions.

She was overjoyed to see a flame of change being kindled in the heart of her friend.

But a glint of sadness tinted her happiness. She wished she knew how to elevate the confusion and doubt Claudia faced in coming to the Lord.

But one thing was for sure; Claudia would definitely be in her prayers.

The ringing of her phone halted every other thought.

Fear and curiosity crept up her spine as she stared at the screen.

"Hello; good afternoon, Kemi!"

"Hi, Adaora. Sorry for not reaching out lately. I was busy with other cases."

Dora could hear the remorse in her friend's voice.

"Don't worry, I understand."

"Thank you. Anyway, do you remember the conversation we had last time concerning getting more evidence?"

"Yes, I do," Dora replied as various thoughts ran through her head.

"Great," Kemi said with an upbeat voice. "So do you have someone who was a witness to his physical abuse to you?" She stopped, "or someone who can testify to your wounds and injuries?"

The question shook Dora to the core. And her heart tightened in her chest.

She shivered as the face of one person flashed through her mind.

"Yes, I do." She found herself saying.

"Good. And who might that be?"

"My ex-best friend, Amara." Her voice came out hoarse.

And the mother of Thelma. An inner voice whispered.

                      ★★★★★

Well, well, the cat is finally out of the bag😂
For those of us who know some of the stories of Amara, what do you think about her possible entrance into Dora's life?

I will love to see the comments section filled with snazzy theories😏

And yes, concerning our beloved Claudia, do you think she would find her way back to the right path or do you think her remorse is fleeting?

And Our Question of the chapter is: What answer do you think Dora will give in response to the proposal to be Mide's tutor?

Well, I have to take an oath of silence on this question? 😂
But you are not allowed to stay quiet😂

So with that, don't forget to 👇

Until next time, keep dreaming ❤❤

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

273 42 31
Two broken hearts; lost their abilities to live, to love and to trust. What will happen when they meet? Will they gain their ablities again? Or they...
1.4M 46.1K 57
After Noah destroyed Emelie's heart, she spiraled into a deep depression. When he reappears years later with a very different version, she must decid...
6.7K 298 40
It's said that the twin flame is one soul divided amongst two bodies. A mirrored soul, always meant to be together. In order to grow, they must separ...
3.1K 207 31
Henry Young always had a worrying interest in fire, from the first time he lit a match he wanted to see everything that hurt him burn. That included...