Delicate

By Tippy446

Book 2: The Fated Chronicles Will doesn't trust anyone. Doesn't let them in because he doesn't want to get hu... More

Author's Note
Grammar Nazis
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Extra
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
NOT AN UPDATE
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Patreon
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Extra
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Extra
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
PLEASE READ
Writing Delicate
Epilogue 1
Epilogue 2
Delicate Extra 1

Chapter 80

50.1K 2.7K 6.2K
By Tippy446

Last chapter guys 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I made it extra long for you guys😭 shit I'm a mess. But yeah, this chapter is long as fuck, so enjoy

------

This song - Open your eyes by the Snow Patrol - is for the final scene, I will tell you when to play!

----------------

Damon's P.O.V

Something was up.

It wasn't just the creepy Joker smile Will was sporting while he dragged me along, it was how the previously packed fields were now mostly empty with the only remaining bodies heading the same direction we were.

The pack hall.

Amongst all that had been set up, I couldn't imagine why we were all heading that way and no matter how much I begged, Will wasn't budging.

Maybe it's a special performance - Theo suggests hopefully - like someones going to sing you a song.

I don't think the whole pack would be heading to the hall for someone to sing me a song.

I hoped not, I wasn't a fan of live melodic performances.

Maybe it's... - Theo doesn't finish that thought as nerves rise between the both of us.

I didn't like wishful thinking.

"Get that look off your face," Will snaps, bringing me from my spiralling thoughts, "no one is trying to kill you or anything so stop looking like your five minutes away from running."

"I'm not," I promise, "though if I did, I'd take you with me."

"That's a given," Will replies smartly.

I roll my eyes and look up at the massive building we were approaching with the same wonder as I always had. When Pops and Dad had broken down the old halls of their former packs and created this one, they'd made something really special.

The hall was the packs most open space, behind the towering entrance were parts of a traditional building with enormous marble carvings and stone flooring. But beyond the stage, arching ceiling and foundations that kept it up, most of the hall was mixed into the woods.

It made sense, with the size of our pack, to fit everyone inside a single building was impossible, but when the hall was open enough at its sides for everyone to be close enough through the many pockets of the woodlands surrounding it, it was perfect.

It was a beautiful place really, but all my heart could do was hammer away as we headed for the entrances and Will and I passed through the path the outside wolves were making for us.

They were all smiling at us, as they'd been doing all day, and it was still a little staggering to me. I had to remember to smile back since it wasn't fake or malicious, they were just happy to see us, to see me.

Strange, but nice.

When we reach the doors, the guards open them for us and I have to remind myself to breathe as Will leads us through.

Inside, my eyes skip over all the wolves packed inside and zone in straight on the massive banner hanging over the stage with Happy Birthday written on it in handwriting I knew was Dad's. 

Around it, were black balloons and ribbons, and blue and white ones too that streamed down the walls and ceilings towards the stage that was packed, and I mean packed with gifts that would take an eternity to get through.

...This is not what I was expecting - Theo mumbles in a careful whisper that had me nodding a little.

I hoped they didn't want me to open each one now because I wasn't good at pretending to like something I didn't and I didn't want to upset anyone.

I must've zoned out for a bit because as the ringing in my ears stopped, the pack's cheers started to filter in as I surveyed the joyful faces all around me.

Joyful faces that shouted my name and wished me a happy birthday when I passed by. All smiling and laughing as Will walked us down the main aisle with more confidence than I had at that moment.

A few months ago, with this many people surrounding him, Will probably would've had a panic attack or be clinging close to me, but now he was walking with pride and unwavering confidence as he smiled back at them. 

He was practically glowing as he led the way to the stage that we were quickly approaching.

The stage where Dad and Pops were standing, waiting with proud smiles and happiness so full, it made our bond burn. I smile back at them, feeling my chest tightening at having so much open pride aimed my way.

Will and I climb the stairs to the stage but when we're up there, he gives my hand one final squeeze before gesturing for me to make the rest of the way on my own.

I didn't want to, but I do, all the while trying to keep my legs from wobbling as I cross the stage, with tightly clenched fists and a world full of nerves climbing up my throat.

That I didn't understand. I wasn't a nervous type of person, I didn't get nervous.
I never had before at least, I did what I wanted and people could deal with it or fuck off.

At least that was how I'd been before. Before I came to value the people in my pack and share with others how I truly felt, before I met Will and learned to love a human who made every second feel precious.

The guy I was a year ago would've been smirking while I whooped along with the cheering crowd, thinking in my heart that I deserved to be adored.

I mean, I still did, obviously. But now, I felt like I was a second away from shitting bricks.

The second I'm in arms reach, Pops pulls me into a hug that felt more like a vengeful headlock before he wrestled me into the space between him and Dad where they both held me in front of the daunting podium.

It's only their warm palms on my back and their scents of pine and lemon that keep my heart from failing as I look out over all the faces.

The family was up front, on their feet and happily joining in with the screams and claps that had my face heating a little. 

Next to them was Will who'd apparently snuck down to join them, and he was aiming two raised thumbs my way with his perfect smile. Mekhi and Amelia were right behind them, with Quinn and Colson too, all of which were cheering too.

All around were familiar faces, some of which I hadn't seen in a while, like Uncle Mickey, Uncle Nic and Uncle Chris, who I hadn't known were here until now. Some of which were surprising, like the Amorenia Clan who, by the grace of Goddess herself, didn't look tired or angry to be there, well all except the little shit, Nikola.

There were people from my knife classes, witches I'd spared with in my training sessions, even elders who I'd always hate and ones who I'd learn to tolerate, and much more. But everyone was here, all looking up at me and their alphas with happy faces that made the last of my nerves wither away.

Before, people used to look at my dads like that, like they hung the moon and they wouldn't hesitate to die on a spare for them. Today, some shared that same look with me.

Like they respected me, truly respected me and that was a heady feeling that had Theo standing a little taller.

"Alright, alright, alright," Pops says with a waving hand to quiet everyone, "this is a pack, not the damn SuperBowl, everyone relax."

Laughter erupts from all around, but everyone listens, quieting down as those who could sit did, while the others in the back kept on their feet.

"What Aiden means to say, is thank you all for that energized welcome," Dad says as he passes his hand over my arm and he gives me a supportive squeeze, "I'm sure it meant a lot to Damon."

"I almost shit myself, but yeah," 

I didn't mean to say that out loud, but with the way everyone chuckled in response, I didn't regret it. 

"You all know why you're here," Pops says before his heavy hand falls on my shoulder making me wince as he shakes me with a heavy laugh I imagined a Viking to have, "Today's Damon's Birthday and that makes it a very special day."

Cheers erupt again, along with whistles and little bursts of magic that had me smiling like a fucking idiot.

I highly doubted every single person in the pack was this excited about the day I was born, but I also knew they were all having a good time and that was more than enough. 

"It's a special day not just because this guy's older, but because we get to celebrate the man he's become," Pop's voice takes softens as he looks at me, his black eyes searching mine, "and we are so proud... of the man he's become."

My chest constricts as I stare back at my old who'd said the words I'd always craved.

The words that I thought, at one point, I would never hear from him. 

But he'd said it now. He was proud of me, they were proud of me.

I look at Dad and when his blue eyes meet mine, I had to clench my fingers to stop myself from bursting into tears right there and then.

"Very proud," Dad confirms, and with the way he was looking at me, I could never doubt that he meant them.

I smile, swallowing down the thick emotions as I squeeze his hand back and press through our bond all the love I had for him that made it even harder not to break down when he sent the same affection flooding back.

Caged between my parents' eternal love, I thank Goddess not for the first time, for blessing me with them.

"And we know you all are proud of him too," Pops says, picking things back up while Dad and I try to get our emotions in check, "you've all seen him in action. Seen him running all over this pack to make up for lost time as he sticks his hand in just about everything."

I can't help but laugh at that even though it had my face heating. But it was painfully true.
These days, without having to worry mending the torn bonds in the family, or Will's family or his past returning to haunt him in some form, I'd slowly started inching my way into the pack and all the many facets that ran in it.

Facets that welcomed me with warm smiles once they saw mine.

"Last year," Dad carries on a little stiffly, "due to our own faults, we almost lost the chance to see our pup grow like this. But by Goddess' grace, Damon returned to us and with Will."

That gets the pack cheering and screaming again as people chant Will's name. I look down with a grin at my mate who smiles back despite the way he was slowly curling into his seat to hide from all the attention.

I didn't think there was a soul in this pack that didn't love Will.

"Over these last few months, we've all seen them together and beyond their love, we all know how much they care about this pack," Dad continues before he makes a gesture at the crowd, "so today..."

My eyes fall on the elders who all stand in unison, their garments finally standing out to me as the ceremonial robes.

"...it is time for a new era," 

My mind goes black as I watch the elders approach the stage.

They were... this is...

It wasn't hopeful thinking.

Everyone was cheering but it all sounded like background noise to my teeming thoughts as I looked from the elders to my grinning parents to Will's wide eyes. 

Whatever he was expecting, it was not this.

My heart starts galloping again, trying to keep up with all that was happening, but as the elders got closer, it only beat harder against my chest.

I'd dreamed about this moment for... all my life, but none of my dreams had been like this.

In some of my fantasies, I came on stage with a smile while everyone screamed my name. In others, I was ready to tear through anyone who opposed me getting my birthright.
But no matter the way it went, in every dream, I was excited in the secret place in the back of my heart to finally become alpha and do what I was made to.

I'd been over the fucking moon for myself.

I'd never...

"Damon," Dad whispers as he fills my vision with features tightened with concern, "are you okay?"

In my dreams, I had never been fighting a heart attack the way I currently was.

The cheering had simmered down and that overflowing excitement that had been drowning out the pack bond was quieting now as everyone looked at me. 

All the expectant, confused and waiting gazes didn't help but I steeled myself to look calm, or as calm as I could look while war raged on inside of me.

Will sensed it, had to sense it, because soon he was on the stage and heading straight for me. The moment he's at my side, he takes my hands in his and that firm touch felt like the only thing in the world keeping me up.

"What's wrong?" He whispers just for me, ready to take my side despite not knowing what was happening. 

"I..." 

What was wrong?

This was what I wanted. This was all I ever wanted but-

I look out at the pack, my friends and family, my mate and then finally at my parents.

"I'm not ready."

Soft gasps fill the quiet hall before private chatter erupts all around but I ignore that as I study my parents, watching the way pure shock invades their system, making them both slack-jawed and wide-eyed while they stare at me. 

"Not ready?" Pops breathes out as if the words were alien.

"Maybe this is just very surprising," Dad suggests as he looks at me, "it's okay if you need a minute, Damon."

I didn't need a minute. I knew in my heart that I... I wasn't ready to be alpha.

I could hardly believe the words had come from my own mouth, but I'd said them before I'd even realised that I would.

In any other situation, I'd probably laugh at the irony of it all, but when I focused on the frenzied worry that had appeared inside of me the moment I'd spotted the elders' robes, I knew I wasn't wrong.

Facing the pack once more, I take in a steady breath as I squeeze Will's hand. When he instantly squeezes back in quiet support, I let it out.

"I... I'm not ready to be alpha," I say as firmly as I can as I face the pack, "not yet at least."

Confusion muddied the pack bond as everyone exchanged glances, whispering quietly to one another while Dad and Pops worry grew from behind me but I focused on Will's hand clenched around mine.

"Last year being alpha was all I wanted. I didn't care what I had to say or do to get it, or who I'd have to kill if they dared to oppose me. I just wanted to be alpha." I admit to the wolves and witches all around me, "I didn't care if people would fear me or hate me for it, I wanted to be in control and that was that."

When Will wraps his free hand around our intertwined fingers, I take another deep breath, sinking into the comforting hold as I did when he held me like this in the night.

"At the time, I didn't realise how much went into being an alpha," I say with a loose chuckle, "I thought you just had to be strong and protect the ones in your pack. I didn't know important it is to actually know and care about the people you're protecting.

"My parents thought that by making me spend time with the pack and help out, I'd understand that." I could shake my head at how stupid that whole year had been. "But if an alpha has to be forced to get to know the people in their pack, then they shouldn't be alpha at all."

Dad's worry begins to ease from behind me and a moment later, I could feel his sturdy presence behind me as he stepped closer in silent support. Soon, Pops does the same, and any worry that they'd be disappointed in me for this, eases.

"I didn't see that last year," I continue with more confidence, "I didn't get that, but I do now. I understand that being an alpha isn't just about being the strongest. It's about..." 

I struggle to find the right words but the moment I look at Will, I feel myself relax as my mind clears and everything I wanted to say comes rushing in. 

"It's about being compassionate and kind, about valuing life and the people in it." Will's lips tug up a little and I return the smile with ease, "it's about being open to listening to others and admitting when you're wrong. And it's about being a shoulder everyone can lean on," 

I look back to the pack and don't hide my smile, "I want to be that for you all." I admit, not hiding the want in my voice or the desperation.

"I want to be someone you can all be proud to follow, an alpha who you will always trust because you know I care about you," I take a shaky breath as my throat grows tighter, "and I really, really want to be an alpha you respect not because you have to, but because I earned it."

The pack bond lights up like a fucking firework as people start clapping and cheering, their shouts of support making it easy for me to wipe away my filling eyes without feeling shame.

"But I'm not there yet, as much as I wish to Goddess I was, I'm not," I shrug almost helplessly at the confession, "For the first time in my life, I'm getting to know my pack and there's still so much I have to learn and improve on. And as much as it's killing me to admit, I am not ready to be the alpha you all deserve, but I hope to be one day."

"You already are!" Someone shouts and I can't help but laugh through the thick emotion that was making it harder and harder to get words out.

"To you, maybe, but until I'm the alpha I should be for this entire pack, then I can't take this role." 

I never thought I would understand how my parents could keep the alpha title away from me. How they could think that I wasn't ready or right for the pack, and because of that, I never thought I'd forgive them for hurting me so deeply and stopping me from being the person I thought I was.

In reality, I was nowhere near the alpha I thought I was. I wasn't even close.

I might've been strong and willing to protect everyone, but I didn't care about them, not truly and I saw that now, accepted it, and it was all thanks to the man holding my hand in a vice grip.

"I don't know who made the rule that we're ready to be an alpha at eighteen, but they were a fucking idiot," I say with a chocked laugh that spreads through the pack, "eighteen is too young to know shit and its way too young to lead an entire pack, and honestly nineteen is no better.

"I know Will and I want to e the best leaders we can be, and I know we'll work hard to get there but I don't think either of us is ready to do that right now," I glance down at Will for confirmation and everyone looks his way.

"I just learned about male pregnancies today, I think that says enough."

That makes everyone laugh hard and I spare a moment to press a kiss to Will's head for just being him.

"I don't know when we'll be ready honestly, it could be in a month, a year, maybe two," I shrug again but when my shoulders fall, my worries, anxiety and stress all fall as well, "what I do know, is that I'm not ready to be alpha right now and..." I smile, "that's okay."

Everyone gets on their feet again as cheers erupt from all around, making me choke out a happy laugh as I smile back at the pack I never knew was this fucking awesome. But as the screams mixed in with howls and calls of my name, I knew I was lucky with the people in it.

Pulling me into his arms, Will holds me to him with a touch almost too gentle because it gets Theo whining as he paws gently to get closer to our mate.

That whine turns audible when Will pulls back and looks at me with slightly swollen eyes and a trembling lip, "I am so proud of you, Damon."

"You don't think I made a mistake?" I ask, my own fears and doubts plaguing my head.

Will shakes his head adamantly as he takes my face in his hands, "Never," he promises and I lean into his touch as I rest my hands over his, "you did the right thing."

I lean in until my head presses against his, soaking in Will and everything wonderful about him.
His gentle touch, his caring heart and soul, and the abundance of love he gave to me, and only me.

When we part, it's not without a quick kiss that's a little salty from the mix of our tears.

I turn next to look at my parents and there's not a thing in this world that could've stopped me from crashing into their arms when I find their wet faces and wide smiles waiting for me. 

Held between them, I knew they were proud of me, proud of the decision I'd made, for being honest and not hiding from the truth, even if it'd burned to say it out loud.

"Words can't express how proud I am of you, Damon." Dad takes in a shaky breath as he passes his hands through my hair, "You are growing into every bit of the man, the alpha, I knew you could be."

"Dad," I croak as memories begin to filter in about how he'd hold me, telling me that one day, I'd be the best alpha in the world. Memories of how he used to look at me with so much joy... just like he was now.

He only shakes his head to quiet me as he presses his lips to my head with a gentle kiss, "I'm so proud of you, pup."

If I wasn't already a sobbing mess, those words would've been the ones to send me tumbling over the deep end.

Pops takes hold of me next, smiling at me as if there wasn't a thing wrong in this world despite the way his red eyes glowed with a whirlwind of emotions I couldn't ever decipher, but I could pick out a few.

Glee. Peace. Pride. Love. Hope. 
So much hope.

"What's the world supposed to do, huh?" He says with that light and free laugh of his that always made everything seem okay. "What the fuck is the world supposed to do when you take over and they face the world's strongest pack with the best alpha too?"

I snort as I peak a glance at Levi who was sobbing recklessly against Jayson's shoulder, Jayson just kept was patting his head gently. "I don't know, I might have some competition."

"Come here kid," Pops pulls me into a hug tight enough to make everything around me filter out and as I breathe him in, for a moment, it's just the two of us, "if you ever start to doubt yourself, think of this moment right here, and remember how you much strength it took to do what you just did. Remember that, and remember how you feel."

How I felt...

I felt like I was on top of the world, ten feet tall and all that, but I also felt... vulnerable, but in a good way. In the way that used to scared me because I thought that made me weak, it didn't. 

I also felt happy. 

Happy in a way I'd been slowly approaching over the last year, since the moment I met Will and he smiled at me like I deserve even a spec of his kindness.

I was happy because, for the first time, I felt like I truly deserved it. His kindness, his promises and his unwavering belief that I was the man he always said I could be.

The man he deserved.

In this moment, surrounded by the people who loved me, I felt like I deserved to be this happy and I could never forget this feeling.

I could never forget feeling this happy.

───────────────────

(A/N -  I don't think I've ever cried this hard in my fucking life)

Also, before any of you try to crucify me, You will get to read Damon's official coronation.

It'll be here, along with the epilogues, for your enjoyment

───────────────────

"And you're older than Damon?" Uncle Mickey asks while he stares unblinkingly at Will.

"By just a year," Will says, his gaze darting between the two wolves who'd cornered him with interest the moment they'd laid eyes on him.

Uncle Mickey and Uncle Emitt had unofficially adopted Will.

The second that Will had confirmed that he'd loved men long before met me, he'd unknowingly got himself inducted into their little group and there was no escaping them now. 

It only got worse when they spotted his manicured nails.

"That's still something," Uncle Emitt says in slight awe. "It's just insane to meet the mate to the kid who tormented my household for my entire life."

"I did not torment your home," I call from my place at the cooler.

"You snuck into my house almost every day, Damon! You and Amelia tried to wax my leg with chocolate when I was sleeping!" He shoots back looking just as angry as he'd been all those years ago, "and lets' not even talk about the bonfire you made out of our blankets."

Will glances at me, looking amused and thoroughly entertained as he raised a questioning brow my way.

Should I be worried about what you'll do to me on April Fools? - He asks through the link.

Only a little - I reply with a wink that makes him giggle before he turned back to face his new self-proclaimed parents.

With Will happy and comfortable, I take a moment to look around the packed backyard where we'd all retired for the last few hours of my birthday.

After everything that had happened in the hall, the festivities continued with almost everyone I passed stopping me to share words of support. It'd been overwhelming but admittedly amazing and I didn't reject their hugs, even when it came from the elders - which was as shocking as their will to live.

But soon, people started to trickle off to their private homes and the family quickly led me to ours for the dinner we always had with those we held dearest. 

We'd stuffed our faces with everything Peter had prepared, and now everyone was hanging out in the backyard illuminated by a mix of fairy lights and some sparkling shit Aunt K had put together.

With everyone happy and in their private circles, I pick up the empty cooler at my feet and make my way inside the house.

In the kitchen, I set the cooler down before digging in the enamours freezer for more ice. I only get through two bags before there's a gentle knock on the door.

I look up and immediately smile when I see Dad standing there with his hands behind his back and a small smile on his lips.

"You shouldn't be doing that, it's your birthday," he says with a disapproving frown.

"It's fine," I reply as I tear into another bag, "besides, it's almost over."

"I know," Dad mumbles sounding sad at the prospect which made me laugh, "what's so funny?"

I leave the ice alone and straighten up so I can face him properly, "nothing, it's just... this is probably the best birthday I'll ever have and you guys are acting like it's still not enough."

Dad's face grows a little hot as he shifts uncomfortably, "Yes, well there's nothing wrong with wanting you to have an amazing day."

"Nope, but you should be careful, or the others will think you guys have favourites," I tease before I push the cooler lid over and lean against the fridge. Only then do I notice that Dad still has his hands weirdly behind his back. "What's that?"

When I gesture to his hidden hands, Dad takes in a short breath before he pushes off the counter, "It's," he pauses for a moment before he brings his hands around, "it's a gift."

I stare at the gold gift bag stuffed with black wrapping paper that was hanging from his outstretched hand, more than a little surprise.

I thought I'd had my fill of gifts for the day but now Dad was handing me another gift and even taking it from his hands, I had no idea what it could possibly be.

"I-It's just a little something," he starts as he pushes his long hair back before settling his fingers on his chin, "but, I'm hoping you like it."

"Thanks, Dad," I whisper with a smile that he returns. He rubs his hands together, his nerves obvious as he looks at me, "Well don't just stand there, open it!"

I set the bag down on the centre island before I pull the black wrapping out, all the while smiling because this felt eerily similar to my favourite holiday.

That smile falters though when I pull out a handful of DVDs that had my heart struggling to keep beating.

They were... documentaries.

I glance up at Dad, feeling strangely misplaced and lost with these in my hands.

"How..." I can't finish my question because finishing it would mean speaking the truth that I'd only ever shared with one person.

I shake my head before my eyes drop back to the films in my hand, a tight feeling starting in my stomach that was spreading quickly through my stomach as I surveyed the casings. 

One was titled, 'The Monarch' and it had a picture of an elephant on the front, another had a temple filling the cover with the title, 'The Marvellous Mayans', and though they made my heart gallop with excitement, it was the two DVDs that were a little less shiny than the others that had my eyes welling up.

These two were a little more worn, they weren't brand new and I passed my fingers over the brown covers that had aged, I felt my smile returning, though it growing so wide it threatened to split my lips apart.

"Ancient Egypt and the Power of a Butterfly," I whisper in a stammer, my fingers tightening around them so I would never lose them again.

When I was younger, Dad and I had watch these two films time and time again because they'd been my favourite, and no matter how fed up Dad had been about watching the same clips over and over again, he'd always put them on when I ask.

I look at him again, trying to understand how he'd known, how he still had these... why he'd kept them after all these years when I thought I was the only one who clung to them.

"Will spoke to me," he says softly, answering my unspoken question, "he told me that you remembered... the documentaries and the books, all the things we used to do."

My eyes drop instantly. It was... I couldn't look at him when he'd so easily spoken a truth that still felt so raw to me. 

What was worse, was the way our bond flooded with the pain I never knew he felt too. I thought it was only me but the pain of those locked away memories was coming from us both, making Theo howl mournfully.

I keep my eyes on the DVDs that feel so much heavier now.

"I didn't think you remembered," he whispers with so much hope, "I didn't think you remembered any of it."

"These were my favourite," I manage, lifting the two older ones and I catch his quick nods from the corner of my eye. "We'd watch them at least once a week and every time I asked for it, you'd groan and tell me that I had an addiction."

"Yes," Dad says on a laugh that cracks a little and draws my gaze back to him.

Dad's blue eyes were wet again, and though he was smiling, it wasn't as sad as mine felt. His was wide and he was looking at me like he wanted to tackle me with a hug.

"Where did you find these?"

"I never lost them," he says with a weak smile, "I kept them, in the office, in case..." his voice grows a little quieter, "you ever wanted to watch them again."

Silence falls between us and I keep clutching the DVDs, feeling so painfully torn but hopeful too.

"Do you?" He prompts after a long time, "Do you want to watch them again, Damon? The old ones and some new ones? Like we used to?"

"Yeah," I admit, lifting my head enough so he can see that I meant it, "I-I'd actually really like that dad."  

"Really?" he asks, his voice growing higher as he sits up a little straighter.

"Really," I say whilst nodding my head. 

I wanted to say more to tell him how much I'd missed reading books with him, and how I'd never forgotten about these documentaries, not once.

About how I missed spending nights with him in the office and how I missed the way he'd brush my hair before school. 

That I was sorry for being a dick and pushing him away, that sometimes I looked in the mirror and missed my hair and didn't all at once. That I was confused and hurt before but that I also wished he'd seen how much I missed him. 

I wanted to tell him how much I missed him.

But this wasn't the right time for that, ad I wasn't ready to say those words to him just yet, so instead, I close the distance between us and hug him tightly.

"Thank you," I whisper against him, "I can't wait to watch them with you."

I'd tell him one day and maybe we'd talk about it, about everything, but for now, I was happy with this step.

We hold one another for a long time and then laugh as we share snippets of memories about the Monarch, I still remembered every fact shared it in but Dad knew basically every word to it.

"Come on," he says when we part, "Aiden's been waiting all day to give you his gift and I'm pretty sure he's at his breaking point."

I laugh as I wipe my face clean, putting the DVDs back into their bag before I follow over Dad, letting him lead me back to the backyard where everyone was now settled in small clusters on the grass.

"Finally!" Pops shouts the second he spots Dad and me, "it's time!"

"Yes, it is," I confirm even though I had no clue what on earth he was talking about.

I head straight for Will who was waiting for me with an open blanket and a warm smile. 

"Do you know it's rude to keep your mate waiting alone?" He teases as I settle beside him.

"I was trying to escape," I poke while he cocoons us both in the warm blanket. 

"You're such an ass," he whispers before he kisses me so deeply that my soul vibrates with comfort.

"Alright, everyone's settled?" Pops asks as he looks around.

"Yes, now get on with it!" Aunt K demands in a tired drawl. "Some of us are getting tired!"

Pops flips her off before he raises a walkie-talkie I hadn't spotted until now to his lips, "Light it up," he mumbles before he looks to me, "Happy Birthday kid!"

Pops immediately flops down beside Dad, leaving everyone confused while we tried to figure out just what was being lit up.

The question answers itself when a few moments later, the sound of something taking off in the distance has us all stiffening in our places.

A minute something bursts in the sky and the night's black canvas is painted with golden fireworks.

And 'painted' was the only way to describe the way the fireworks exploded across the sky in a display so insane, it made it look like it was daytime again.

"Holy shit," Will and I mumble together as we stare up at the sparkling rays.

When the gold ones start to fall and darkness floods back in, it's only for a second before more fireworks shoot up and red implodes on itself to create pink, forming what was probably the most beautiful fireworks I'd ever seen in my life.

Some of the fireworks shot off several other smaller fireworks that made it seem like it was a tree in the sky, branching out to cover as much of the dark night as it could.

"Won't other people see this," I catch Hagen asking in a loud shout, "you know, like people who aren't in the pack?"

"I put shields up," Aunt K answers, "nobody's seeing this fucked up shit but the pack."

"It's art!" Pops declares in a loud boom, "And shut up, here comes the big one!"

"The big one," Will whispers sceptically, curling into me a little closer.

Whatever the big one was, it had Dad groaning while the old man released a victorious roar.

"I've missed you beautiful!"

The ground shakes for one terrifying moment before what I was guessing was the big one, took flight and headed for the skies.

I watch with my arms wrapped tightly around Will as the missile heads before the sky before it detonates, releasing a rainbow of fireworks that had me squeezing my eyes shut as a force of wind threatened to send us all rolling over.

The wind doesn't stop and neither does the rainbow bomb that was definitely illegal somewhere.

"The arrest warrant makes sense now," Will mumbles when we open our eyes and look at the green showering down from the sky. "It makes a whole lot of sense now."

I don't bother asking about that as I stare up at the explosion coveting the skies. It was simmering, slowly, but very slowly, allowing us to enjoy what was left of the firework display.

While Pops whoops and shouts his pleasure, I hold onto my mate with a content sigh that I felt in my toes.

It was pretty, the remaining flickers, and sitting here with Will and my family, it was the perfect end to this already wonderful day.

When the light dies out completely, Pops comes running over to see if I liked it, which I did, but I could tell with that excited childlike grin on his face that he'd loved it wayyyy more.

The evening settles after that and one by one, everyone starts heading home, peeling off after they helped clean things up until there was no one left but the Heil-Calderon Clan.

"So, how does it feel being the favourite child?" Hagen asks while he dips a cracker into what was left of some hummus.

I snort at that, "You should be asking Peter that."

Peter's head shoots up from the dishes he was scrubbing to look at us with wide eyes.

"Don't worry Peter, it's a given," Josey adds before Peter could have a panic attack, "you're everybody's favourite."

Peter smiles a little before he goes back to washing the dishes with Jayson.

"To be clear, we don't have any favourites," Dad says as he walks into the kitchen, hand in hand with Pops who hadn't stopped smiling since the fireworks. "We love you all equally."

The old man makes a face at that but he doesn't say anything to avoid Dad's wrath.

"There's no use fighting over petty things like the favourite child," Jayson adds from over his shoulder, "ever since I joined the family, I became the favourite everything."

"Who gave the runt more grapes?" Pops asks with a grimace, "he's happier than usual and it's nauseating."

"I've missed you too Aiden," Jayson says with a smile that was purposefully too sweet.

"You might've been once," Will adds from his place against my chest, "but let's be honest here, everyone loves me."

That makes the room implode.

While conversations begin about who was loved most, I look down at the person I loved most. Will was smiling at everyone, clearly entertained by their antics that had grown on him these last few months.

I nuzzle his nose as I breathe in his scent, "You want to crash here tonight?" 

The suite wasn't actually that far, but it'd been a long day and I was happy to sleep in my old room if Will didn't mind. Plus I swore I'd just heard Levi say something about a movie and I was down for that.

"We can't," he says as he looks up at me, "we have somewhere to be."

I feel my brow raise as I wonder if that was code for we had to get back and fuck or something else entirely. 

I was honestly down for both.

Have some class Damon - Theo chides but I ignore him.

 "I still have to give you your gift, Damon," Will says when is clear that I wasn't catching on anytime soon.

"Oh," I breathe out, my heart lurching.

"Yeah, oh," he mocks with a chuckle before he turns back to everyone, "while we would usually love to stay, Damon has one last surprise so we have to be on our way."

Understanding forms on everyone's faces as they smile at us and something told me they knew exactly what Will's gift was, even though I didn't have the slightest clue.

"Be safe and keep in touch," Dad says to Will who nods firmly as he slips out of his stool by the counter.

"Will do," he confirms, "we'll be back before you know it."

Be safe? Back? 

"Where are we going?" I question as Will tugs us towards the door.

"You'll see," he whispers while everyone else relays a chorus of 'enjoy' over our shoulders.

The second we exit the front doors of the house, Mekhi appears a second later, not looking phased in the least as he looked to Will, "Ready?"

"Right on time," he answers.

"Ready for what?" I ask, I'd had enough surprises for the day and was growing tired of being left in the dark.

"Don't worry about it," Mekhi says around his gum, winking at me in the way he knew would just piss me off.

Will turns me towards him, blessing me with a loving smile that had me ready to roll over.

"Close your eyes please," he requests and the pure joy radiating off of him was enough for me to stop asking questions and just do as he said.

Play song

Open your eyes - Snow Patrol
I wrote the rest of this to this song, so I recommend having it repeat if you can.

The moment my eyes close, Mekhi's magic wraps around us with a familiar touch that carries us from the house, beyond the packlands and to a new place that felt strangely familiar.

"Thank you, Mekhi," Will whispers, "for everything."

"Always," Mekhi replies.

After that, nothing comes but I could tell the moment he was gone as his magic fades, leaving nothing else but Will and me in this new location.

"Okay," Will says, sounding adorably giddy as he squeezes my hands and turns me a little, "open your eyes."

I pull my eyelids back and feel air flood my lungs as I look around at my old apartment.

The one-bedroom studio that somehow had almost everything it used to, even though Will and I had given up our places months ago. 

But there was my bed with my black sheets and the couch Wil and I had spent so many reading nights on, with the same mugs we'd use every night for hot chocolate.

There was even Blaze's little makeshift bed of shirts and as movement started in it and two ears popped out, Blaze made a reappearance.

"What the fuck is happening?" I ask, half expecting to wake up and find out this was all a very detailed dream. "How...How are we here right now?"

My head was having a hard time dealing with all the familiar emotions that rose up inside of me in the place that had been my home for months. 

My safe haven, my little corner of the world where all I had to do was fall in love with my mate.

My mate who was still here with me now.

Will doesn't say a thing, not until he's walked us to the small breakfast table by the large window, "This is where we had our first meal together," he says as he passes his fingers over the table, "you made us breakfast, eggs, bacon and shrimpless pancakes."

I smile as the memory plays itself over my mind. I remembered the way I'd stared at Will while he'd sat here, staring out the window, oblivious to the way my mind had been reeling about having a male human for a mate.

I remembered the way I'd gotten a first-hand display of my mate's sassiness when I'd asked him if he wanted water or juice.

Our bond brightens as the shared memory passes between us, the thing so sweet it had me laughing a little as Will walked us to the couch.

"This is where you told me you were a werewolf," he says with a snort, his blue eyes sparkling like precious diamonds, "but this is also where you showed me your knives for the first time."

"Both things you accepted a little too well," I say with a nudge.

"I guess I just liked you that much," Will taunts as he takes us to my bed, "and that like quickly turned to love because this is where we told each other we loved one another for the first time."

Staring at the bed, I could almost see our bodies curled together in the darkness like a mirage. I could almost hear Will telling me that he loved me and then laughing that perfect laugh when I told him I loved him 'like a lot' too.

The mirage fades away like a fog as Will pulls us to the door and steps outside into the familiar hallway. 

Not a thing had changed about it, not even the way it was completely empty aside from Will and me.

I smile as I look down the length of it, that mirage appearing again as I remembered all the times I'd come out to talk to Will when I heard the elevator ding, pretending I was heading out when I just wanted to see him.

My heart surges at all the flooding memories and then jumps again when I look back at Will, my Will, who was looking at me as if there wasn't a thing in this world he could love beyond me.

Taking fistfuls of my shirts, Will tugs me into him as he steps back, forcing us to move until his back met his old door and he was looking up at me with love in his eyes.

"This..." he whispers as if it were a secret for only us, "this is where we kissed for the first time."

My eyes dart between Will's and just like back then, I wait, keeping still and letting him make the first move, as I always would.

Will's lips split into a smile as he pushes himself up onto his toes, tugging me down just in time to meet his soft like, and just like then, electricity rockets through me, making me tremble against Will as he held me.

Our lips move in that familiar dance where he showed me how good it could be to love someone, to care for them and their happiness, and as Will moans his satisfaction, a pliant whimper leaves me.

I suck in a deep breath when we part, resting my head against his to catch myself from this onslaught of memories and present perfection that was sending sparks of joy rippling through me.

Still, I press a kiss to Will's cheek and when he giggles a little, it's all I need to litter his face with even more of the gentle kisses.

"I can't believe I get to have you for the rest of my life," Will breathes against me, his smile so bright that it had my heart caving in on itself.

"Like that's enough time," I groan, already mourning the day.

"Once I have you with me, it's more than enough," Will whispers, giving me one more kiss before he turns and opens the door to his old place.

"Okay, seriously, how are we here right now?" I ask as he ushers us inside.

"Be patient and all will be explained," Will teases even as he stops to look round at the place that had been the source of my warmth for months.

It had all of Will's littler decorations, his record player on the small table, his ugly green pillow that Sassy loved and even the bitch herself who got up the moment she saw me and headed for the tiny patio.

I guess some things never changed.

As Will pulls me against him, I release a surprised grunt that made his eyes light up while he wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his chin against my chest.

"Do you remember? The way we used to dance here?"

"Like I could forget," I reply, almost offended at the silly question. "You forced me every time."

"And every time, you'd let me," he whispers before he settles his cheek against me and moves us a little, dancing as we once had to the melody of peaceful quiet. "I always felt so safe when you held me like this."

"I always felt loved," I admit as I press a kiss to the top of Will's head.

We move to the couch next, and only after I'm seated on the left and Will on the right, with his knees pulled up under him and his hand on my outstretched hand does he speak.

"Here, when you put all those lamps around this couch and sat right there, patiently waiting for me to take your hand," Will slides his fingers over mine, intertwining our fingers with a smile, "here is where I started falling for you Damon Calderon... and I've been falling for you ever since."

I swallow down the whine that tries to escape me, breathing through the emotions that come flooding into me all at once at Will's confession.

"I didn't know what to give you for your birthday," Will explains with a chuckle, "no jewellery was right, no knife was as good as yours and I just couldn't figure it out. Then I remembered when we spoke about taking a trip one day and I thought, after everything that happened, that would be perfect.

"But no matter where I looked for us to go, I kept finding myself thinking of here again," Will looks around with a fond smile, "this place, yours and mine, in this little town with Blue's shop and that little Japanese place we went to for our first date. This place holds all my best memories of you, of us, I couldn't stop thinking of it.

"Of all those walks home we'd make together when I was done with work, of all those dinners we'd share together, the ones I used to spend all day waiting for," I chuckle as Will looks up at me with a shy smile, "this was our home Damon, the place where we fell in love, and I think, it'll always be our home. Our special place.

"I love the pack, it is my home too but this place," Will sighs as if he couldn't express it in words properly, "this was our escape from the world. This is where we found one another and there's a piece of us in every corner of this place, a piece of us that will always be here, so I thought... why not come here."

"So you bought the place?" I ask with a smirk, "both places?"

"We share an account now so technically, we bought the place."

My head falls back with laughter that has Will grinning from ear to ear as he watches me.

"So I gave myself an amazing gift?" I question which makes Will frown but before he can get upset, I continue, "because that's what this is Will, it's an amazing gift." He softens against me and I pull him in closer, "you're right, this is our special place."

Will's eyes flick between me, a small smile pulling on his lips, "Yeah?"

"Yeah," I confirm as I take his face in my hands, his beautiful face that had me running in circles the moment I saw him under the streetlight that first night. 

But if I were honest, I'd been chasing my tail for Will the moment he'd looked at me with fire in his eyes and told me not to touch him.

I'd fallen for my little human right then and there.

I pass my fingers through his soft hair, loving the way he leaned into my touch now without hesitation or fear, only an abundance of love that made my soul fly.

"I don't know where we're going Will," I confess as I hold his gaze, "I have no idea what this world is going to throw at us, but what I do know... is that I love you and that I will never ever stop loving you."

Will's perfect blue eyes fill as his fingers tighten around mine, holding my hand in place as I brought him closer so I could bask in his scent.

His warm comforting scent of wild honeysuckle and cranberries.

That scent I knew by heart with the way it was tangled with my own.

That scent that could never fail to make me feel free, safe, happy.

 "I love you too Damon," Will croaks, his nose rubbing against mine as we held close, "I love you too and that will never change, because you..."

I smile, a hoarse chuckle breaking from me as our lips brush, "are..."

Will smiles against me, his smile bigger than I'd ever seen it, "my...."

I lift my eyes to his, and struggle to breathe as I thank Goddess, not for the last time, for this gift. 

For this man who'd come into my life and showed me how to love.

This man who'd held me through it all and promised to protect me.

This wonderful human who'd looked past me it all and decided that I was his, and he was mine.

I thank Goddess for Will, for making him mine, and for giving me the gift I didn't deserve.

"Happiness," 

THE END

──────────────────

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 3.7K 28
Liam Cole. He's got it all. Good looks, an intact family, and a future. Nothing can go wrong in his life, it just isn't fathomable. - Milo Lazos...
130K 5.8K 21
Life as an Alpha has always been viewed as the easier path; Alphas are the top of the food chain, lead the packs, and are the deciding force in the w...
52.5K 2.3K 18
Lynton didn't have it easy growing up. In his old pack, he was treated very poorly simply for being an omega. Thankfully, another pack saved him when...
3.4M 142K 67
"I didn't ask to be this way!" "What's wrong with it?" Kegan laughed dryly, amazed by the stubbornness of the Alpha. "What's wrong with being weak...