The Purple Jade Palace: The H...

By LisabetMae

When Teal helps an injured soldier by hand-delivering a scroll to the Emperor, he is offered a place in the E... More

Map of The Talbecan Empire
Character List
Prologue
Princess Estina
The Scroll
Cleaven Estate
Interrogation
A Message For The Emperor
A Proposition
Musings
Decisions
Beginnings
Becoming Acquainted
Delba
When You Can Look Me In The Eyes
Dalenia
The Purple Jade Palace
Empress Crael
A Misadventure
Consequences
A New Friend
A Trip To The Forest
The Blue Garden
Prince Yernal Of The Keglar Kingdom
An Altercation
We're Making Progress
Advice
The Swearing of Loyalty Ceremony
The Emperor's Tower
A Surprise
A New Relationship
The Lost Seas' Saga
Do You Care For Him?
A Ripple
The Emperor's Mother
A Sharing of Information
Discussions
Intimacy For Three
Death
The Summer Palace
Too Much Of A Good Thing
Shapeshifter
Return
Bad News
Learning the Truth
Plans
Repercussions
An Unsettling Conversation
A Meeting at Arina Pass
Dinner
A First Watch
Questions
Marked
Assassins
An Unwelcome Guest
A Very Bad Day
Traitors
A Little Hero
Help
It Only Gets Worse
The Talekan Assassins
Predictions
Truth Serum
Loose Ends
Changes
Confessions
Enemies from both Sides
Lady Annalei
Kidnapped
Informant
When Powers Collide
Field Battle
Collaborations
Confrontation
A Life for A Life
It's Time
Abduction
Prisoner
The Hummingbird's Plan

An Enemy Attacks

61 3 26
By LisabetMae

Teal awoke, hot and sweaty, squashed in between Lana's and Jale's sleeping bodies. He untangled himself from their arms, sat up and looked at the sky to get his best judgement of what time of day it was. The whole balcony was quiet and still with sleeping bodies despite Teal guessing that it was already mid-morning.

With a desperate thirst, he carefully untangled himself, cast the sleeping pair a fond look and staggered to his feet. A servant stepped forward as soon as he emerged through the net and passed him a cup of water. Teal took it gratefully and gulped it down, eager for more. He moved towards the shower area and placed a clove inside his mouth. He chewed, welcoming the new flavor in his mouth and gazed at the view. The sky was overcast, but it was hot and humid. Teal couldn't imagine how the capital would feel. Standing under the waterfall beside the balcony before going for a swim, seemed like the best idea on a day like today.

Teal quickly lathered his body, cleaning his skin from the combined sweat and bodily flavors from the night before. When he was done, he leaned against the rock resting his head in his arm and allowed the water to fall over his shoulders. His head was pounding from the alcohol he had consumed but he was more than happy with what he had experienced.

"Are you okay?" Jale suddenly asked from behind.

Teal's head shot up. "Of course," he replied. He offered Jale a shaky smile. "I was just cooling myself off."

Jale stared at him and seeming satisfied, he stepped under the water beside Teal.

"Are you okay with what happened last night with Lana?" he asked, covering his body with soap as well. He glanced at Teal again as his hands cleaned. "Do you think you would want to lay with her again?"

Teal laughed and struggled to pry his eyes away as Jale's hands moved all over his body. "Yeah, I think so."

Jale moved out of the direct spray of water and stepped closer to Teal. "She'll be glad to hear that. She enjoyed herself last night too." He reached out and placed his hand on Teal's hip turning him slightly. "You have some reminders from last night."

Teal glanced down at the couple of bruises he had. "One of you gripped rather tightly," he said, knowing all too well, it had been Jale during the throes of passion.

Jale's hand slowly slid off his skin, a lingering, claiming touch. It didn't bother Teal. It was nice to be wanted.

Jale stayed close and dropped back under the water, lifting his head up so the cold water splashed onto his face.

"You're right," he said, stepping out from the direct spray again. "The water is amazing."

He leaned out all of a sudden and caught Teal's hand pulling him closer so their chests were almost touching.

"So...how does this work? If I want to be with Lana again?" Teal braved to ask when Jale's hands started to move down to his lower back and the top of his buttocks.

Jale laughed, but Teal could see that he was happy with his question. "Well, it's the Emperor's permission you need, not mine."

Teal shook his head. "I know I need his permission, but I also want to know that you would be okay with it."

"I arranged it last night, didn't I?" Jale asked suddenly, stepping away and reaching for a towel.

Teal's brow rose in surprise. "I suppose you did."

"Then enjoy her," Jale stated. "But only when it doesn't encroach on your time with me." He turned wrapping a sarong around his lower body much like how the Emperor wore on occasions in his private quarters. Teal nodded in the direction of the balcony where a servant had appeared, message in hand.

Jale stepped forward and took it, unraveling the small note that had been delivered most likely by pigeon. Teal was silent as Jale read. When he was done, Jale passed it back to the servant.

"Everything all right?" Teal asked, not expecting a response since he was not usually privy to such messages that Jale received.

Jale waved him off, an indication it was not important. "Prince Yernal has had to extend his stay at the palace due to flash flooding that has impeded on his usual journey across the river Trenia. He will stay in the guest quarters until it has passed. It is inconsequential. Opelan will ensure he is made comfortable and out of trouble." Jale looked at the sky and ran his hand over his flat stomach. "I am going to eat and sleep some more so I have energy for this evening."

Teal smiled knowingly but instead, he looked out at the trees. He believed that he had slept enough. "I'm going to go for a climb."

It was Jale's turn for his brow to rise. "Suit yourself, but don't go far."

"How different everyone's attitude to when I originally arrived at the palace," Teal teased.

Jale chuckled. "I trust you, and I don't think I could really stop you if I wanted to."

Teal closed the distance between them. "I think you underestimate the power you have over me."

<<<>>>

"Where are you going?" Satner asked. It was later in the afternoon. Most of the harem were still recovering from the night before, but Teal had eaten, redressed and was now eager to explore their location further. He hadn't spent any time with Satner since they had arrived.

"Just going out to stretch my legs," Teal said with a friendly smile. "How are things?" he asked.

Satner didn't answer straightaway. He looked over his shoulder and then back to Teal. "Good," he answered, although something in his tone made Teal believe otherwise. "Can I come with you?"

"Sure," Teal responded. "But I have to warn you there might be some tree climbing involved."

Satner looked surprised and Teal laughed. "Come on. I'll show you what I'm like in action."

True to his words, Teal started to climb one of the tallest trees, and he was delighted to see Satner follow after him.

"You are not too different from my old friend, Cokrin," Teal said over his shoulder. "This actually reminds me of him."

"How so?" Satner asked, several feet below Teal as he moved much slower. Teal watched him ensure the branch he clasped was going to take his weight.

"He used to watch me when I climbed the trees or swam out in the dangerous waters of the rivers near our town."

"Speaking of dangerous," Satner said, taking safety in the fork of two large branches, happy with where he was perched. "Tell me, what is the point of all this?"

"Well," Teal answered, easily balancing out over one branch that hung out high above the waterhole. "I used to collect fruit and bugs but here, I'm just doing it to stretch my legs."

Satner smiled. "You're really not one to sit around, are you?"

Teal laughed. "No, I'm not."

Satner looked as if he was going to say something. Instead, he sighed. Teal lowered himself down and sat on the side branch, his legs hanging over either side.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked.

Satner simply nodded in return and sighed. "It's nothing really."

Teal paused. "Fraelic?"

"Something like that," Satner replied.

Teal shrugged and decided to let Satner dwell on it for a bit longer. "Well, if you change your mind, you can always talk to me."

Satner sighed again. "I'm sorry. He apologized."

"He did?" Teal questioned. "Who? Fraelic?"

"Yeah, said he was so drunk and didn't know which way was up or down. Said he woke up next to a guy not even remembering how he got there. He even said, he doesn't even know if they actually did anything."

A lot had happened during the Midsummer Festival. Teal needed to catch up with his friend's life. "You believe him?" Teal asked as he dared to stand on the branch he had been sitting on.

Satner didn't answer for a moment. "I want to."

Teal offered Satner a smile. He didn't know what else to say.

Satner's head snapped back to him. "Can I be honest with you for just one moment?"

"Sure."

"I, I guess when you were down in the training ring, it didn't really click with me how you really are a part of the Emperor's harem. I know it sounds stupid, but when you were training with me, you were just like one of the other men I train with. But seeing you here," Satner paused and looked at the palace directly behind Teal, they were so high up. "It really hits me of who you are and... how I should distance myself from you."

"You're my friend, Satner," Teal spoke carefully. "In fact, you're probably my best friend here. I don't want you to distance yourself from me."

"Do you like it?" he suddenly asked, and Teal looked at him in confusion. "Do you like being with them, having sex with all of them?"

He must have seen. Teal couldn't read Satner's face but for a comment like that, Satner must have seen him last night. He didn't know Satner's true feelings behind that question or why he had asked. Teal could only answer truthfully. His thoughts went to Fraelic and how Satner was still feeling hurt. He decided to not take offense from Satner's tone, guessing that Satner must be feeling mistreated and alone.

"I do," he said confidently.

Satner tried to keep his face clear and free from expression that showed judgement. "I'm happy for you then," he said. "I..."

His next words were cut off when a piercing scream suddenly filled the afternoon air. They both jumped and twisted in the direction of where it had come from.

Teal gasped.

There, across on the balcony directly opposite them, was Lana fighting someone in a hooded cloak, their identity hidden. The person held something in their hand, something heavy. The attacker lunged forward easily moving to get past Lana's defensive hands, and struck her with an over the shoulder swing, hard on the side of her head. She staggered backwards off balance, and then, the person raced forward and pushed. Without being able to catch her balance, Lana toppled straight over the side of the balcony and began the long fall to the water below.

Still on the branch of the tall tree, Teal turned to Satner. "Go ensure the Emperor is safe," he shouted, and without waiting for a response, Teal jumped.

It was a long drop. He had been so high, he had to move his arms to stop himself from turning. He had to hit the water correctly. Lana hadn't and from the way her body had hit the water, if she wasn't already unconscious, she would be now.

The cold water hit Teal hard. He was used to it though. He had leapt off the cliff in his home town on many occasions, but unlike the ocean water that was blue, this water was dark and murky. Fortunately, Lana had landed in the middle where there were no rocks, but she had entered the water like dead weight.

Teal let the force of his jump pull him down. He twisted in the murky water searching for her. He had judged right when he had leapt off the branch. At his feet, he caught the material of her dress billowing up from her body. Using the momentum of his jump, Teal swam down, caught her hand and pulled her body towards him. Protectively, he wrapped one arm around her waist and started to kick back to the surface.

It only took a few strokes of his arm, strong and fast he cut through the water. Their heads shot through, and Teal gasped in a loud breath. With another few kicks, he was already near the side of the waterhole. He shifted Lana's weight in his arms and trod over the rocks to the shore. There on one large slab of rock, he settled Lana down. Her face was white with watery blood trickling down through her hair from where her assailant had hit her. Her lips were blue and her chest unmoving.

Teal had seen his father act on a child when he was younger. How he had pushed down onto their chest forcing the water out. He did so now, both hands hard on her ribcage, once, twice, and...

Teal dodged to the right.

It was out of pure luck that he caught the sight of the dark material of the cloak in the corner of the eye for his entire being was so focused on ensuring Lana began breathing again.

He turned and the pure instinct to survive and to protect took over every other sense and thought. It took over every essence of his flesh, down to every single cell, and with it, there on the edge of the waterhole, Teal shifted leaving his human form. His human thoughts fell away, his reasoning distorted, primal control took over and ...

Love...
Grace...
Power...
Heart...
Beat...

Life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

401K 16.9K 13
My books are written explicitly for a MATURE AUDIENCE. There will be some instances/scenes/suggestions of sexual acts and will portray gay relations...
41.8K 1.6K 42
When two lovers' best friends meet for the first time... lots of feelings can rise. Attraction, confusion, lust... love? Will they be able to overcom...
77.3K 6.3K 37
Lord Tanden is finally free. Free from his family's obligations, free to sail around the world, free to explore. It's all he's ever wanted, to be all...
163K 10.8K 38
Incent, a young hunter, is thrown into a dark and terrible job by his King. He is asked to assassinate a Prince from a neighbouring Kingdom. Knowing...