The Mask Maker

Por Chimera843

**Revised and Completed!** "Everyone you meet is multifaceted, and everyone wears many different masks." Sinc... Mais

The Mask Maker
The Best Man for the Job
A Picture and a Conversation
A Glimpse Into Her Mind
The Wager
Two Face's Predicament
Will I Make It?
A Deal With the Devil
An Upgrade
The First Mission
The Escape
The Ordinary Side of Life
Reunions
The Price of Admission
Monsters
Where Did You Go?
The Mightyena in Wooloo's Clothing
The Tracks Ahead
Please Don't Let It Be Them
The Aftermath
Who's There?
The Mind's Eye
Understanding
Found
Corruption
Aftereffects
Foresight
Preparations
Shadows
The Test: Part 1
The Test: Part 2
Even Beasts
The Test: Part 3 (Finale)
Damaged
Welcome to the Battle Subway!
002
Fear
All Her Fault
The Fight of Four
Morai's Fall
Something Terrible
Just One Thing
Merry Christmas, Morai
She Will Never Return
Home
Captured Again
Convictions
Friend and Foe
Grim Future
Revenge
Dawn of the Final Day
Morai's Last Fall
The Fight for the Realm of Dreams

The Choices We Must Make

34 2 0
Por Chimera843

Giovanni sighed a small sigh. 

"I'm not sure that what you're seeking is what you really want, or need for that matter. You can't keep juggling two completely separate lives forever. One will eventually start to bleed into the other until they are permanently inseparable. One day, someone will recognize you when you're not wearing a mask. You'll slip up and make the tiniest mistake that instantly reveals your secret. Your mask will be knocked off your face. Would you rather let fate decide when the world knows, or be prepared and do it your own way? You're trying to separate two parts of you that desperately want to become one." 

Morai thought for a moment. He, again, had a point. She had so many difficult decisions to make when she didn't even know who she truly was, or at least who she really wanted to be. She didn't want to accept that she would have to choose one life over the other. She wanted so badly to just bury her head in her hands and think alone, but she had to keep up her unemotional facade. She wasn't wearing a physical mask over her face, but she still had to hide her true emotions. She didn't trust Giovanni at all. They were technically business partners, sure, but he was a seasoned criminal with many more devious crimes behind him. He was like a snake.  He was cunning, and would slither into your life and bite you with his poisonous fangs at the perfect time when you were at your weakest and most vulnerable. Not to mention he had a gun of some kind. As she thought about this, he sensed her uneasiness. 

"I'll let you decide that for yourself. Let's change the subject."

"How did you find me? And how did you get in my house, anyway?" Morai asked.

"I have many resources at my disposal...and I picked your lock."

They talked for a while. Morai had a sense that Giovanni was just trying to disarm her and get her to let her guard down, but she had to admit it was nice to talk to someone who knew about her secret. They obviously were different in a lot of ways, but they were similar in some ways, too. They both liked the same kind of music, for instance. That or Giovanni "just happened" to like the same music she did because she might trust him more. Although, she liked old music, so it made sense. 

"You're very tense. If you keep that up you'll end up with a headache," he said.

Why did it seem like he could see right through her? 

"Well, for one, you broke into my house with ease and brought a weapon, which you've probably put an end to someone with. Then you tell me you know that I'm The Mask Maker. And now you stick around for a chat. Have you forgotten who you are?" Morai asked. The tone in her voice was calm and matter of fact. Anger leaves one vulnerable. 

"Hm, you do have a point there. Would you like me to leave?" Giovanni asked. He had a slight smile on his face. She hated playing this game with people like him, because he was better at it than her. 

"Yes, please do." 

"And will her excellency grace Team Rocket's own dwelling place with her return?" Now he was just mocking her, exaggerating his gestures and tone of voice. 

"...Maybe." 

"We'll be awaiting your return," he said. He started to leave, but turned around before he exited the doorway. "Oh, and by the way, I'm the only one that knows about your identity. Even my executives are unaware. I figured it was up to you to tell them on your own terms."

 He shut the door, finally gone. She slumped back into the couch with a sigh. 

Well, that was nice of him I guess...but now I definitely need a better lock on my door. 

Archer was pacing around his room once again, thinking. The evening offered less and less light for his room as the sun prepared to set, but he didn't bother turning the light on. He couldn't stop thinking. Thinking about her

Ugh, what is it about her that I like so much? I haven't even seen her face! This is ridiculous!..I do wonder what her face looks like. What color are her eyes? Blue, green, brown...oh, stop it, Archer! You're doing it again. You have to get rid of this affliction, or else—

"Archer! Proton's been arrested!" Petrel yelled He was pounding at the door, which Archer had locked, as hard as he could. Archer was startled out of his daydreaming, but not early enough to catch what Petrel said. He opened the door.

"What was that?"

"Geez, are you deaf? I said that  PROTON'S BEEN ARRESTED!" 

"Oh. Oh! Oh my. Again? When? Where is he now?"

"In an Interpol van. We've got eyes on it. He shot up a distress flare and sent a signal not long ago. You should've gotten it on your phone."

Archer looked back into his living area from the doorway. Where was his phone? He hadn't had anything to do with it all evening. He was too busy pacing around. Suddenly, a grunt ran up to the both of them. 

"The Mask Maker or Morai or whatever her name is has been spotted following the van, sirs," he said breathlessly.

"How? Did she see the distress flare or something? We gave her one of our communication devices, but she should have only been able to send a signal herself, not see them," Petrel said.

"And she's been gone for weeks now. Does that mean she's back?" Archer asked a little too excitedly.

"It doesn't matter. Now we have to both rescue Proton and keep her away from Interpol. She has no skills for this situation. She's going to get captured herself, then it'll be a double rescue."

Archer and Petrel nodded to each other in understanding. They both went to get suited for the mission and each put in an earpiece, and they called on several grunts to go with them. Petrel boarded a helicopter along with a couple of grunts, while Archer and the rest of the team got into a small van. They were going as fast as they could, but one person was a few steps ahead of them. 

Morai was riding her Corviknight, trying to stay far enough a way so that she wouldn't be seen, but close enough to keep an eye on the Interpol van. She had seen almost the entire situation unfold. 

The trainer had been walking as her regular unmasked self in town, thinking about what Giovanni had said that morning, when a motorcycle sped past her. It was being followed by several unmarked police cars. She recognized the bike and the helmet and put two and two together. She had to rush home and change, making it the first time she had put the mask on since she decided to quit. She hesitated at first, but cared about Proton enough to try and help him. After she was changed, she couldn't find them again until she saw the red flare shot up in the distance by Proton.

 As she flew, Morai was trying to come up with a plan. She guessed that the van was probably armored and immune to a lot of attacks from the outside. It seemed her only option was to attack the front where the driver was. From what she could tell, the driver was a regular agent in a suit, while the passenger was a guard in riot gear. They were both hard to see. This wasn't going to be easy. 

Maybe I should turn back now while I still have the choice...but what will happen to Proton?

She shook her head.

"Corviknight, we're going to stop that van. You're going to use Air Slash and retreat to the sky. They're bound to look for us while they're stopped, so I'll use that opportunity to single one of them out, and then—! 

Corviknight squawked and started to falter. Morai gave a confused "Shh!" but realized the reason for its cry when she looked down. A grunt from the Team Rocket van had shot up a tether that attached itself to Corviknight's leg, then the van slowed to a stop. Now she was even more confused, not to mention annoyed. While Corviknight stayed stagnant in the air, she slid down the rope and jumped onto the van. 

"Ooh, ouch, ouch, I didn't think that through. Hey! What's the deal?" she asked.

Archer stuck his head out of the dark van, teal hair slightly blowing with the evening wind, his eyes of the same color illuminated by the setting Alolan sun.

"The deal," he said nonchalantly, "is that you need to turn around, or at least get in here." 

"Why? I can help, can't I?"

"No. Fooling with the International Police like this is always a risky task. It's not wise to do it alone, especially if you have no experience."

Morai didn't like being told she couldn't do something, which is what Archer basically just did. She wasn't just going to turn around and quit. She considered doing exactly that just a few minutes ago, but that was before someone told her to. 

"I had a really good plan. Didn't you want to hear it?" 

"Oh come on, Archer. Indulge the girl," Petrel whispered through Archer's earpiece. 

"Alright, but make it quick. Time is of the essence."

"Corviknight can use Air Slash and slash a tire before they even realize what's happening. The driver and guard will have to get out, giving you the perfect opportunity to incapacitate one of them while I mask and control the other from a safe distance. That gives us the keys we need to unlock the back of the van. The guard under my control will open the back and tell the agents guarding Proton that a tire blew and that a backup van is almost here. My mask will be covered by the helmet, so they won't notice it. At that point my guard will offer to escort him out, and we'll lock the van back as soon as he's out. From there Proton can be taken to this van and...viola! The ensuing police chase will be up to you."

"Hey, that's actually not bad." Petrel once again spoke into Archer's ear. He thought for a moment. 

"Alright then, change of plans," Archer said. This is your chance to gain some experience. But you have to stay out of sight."

"Done."

Corviknight was unhooked from its rope and mounted by its trainer. She took a deep breath and prepared to signal it to fly ahead. 

"Wait!" Archer stuck his head back out of the window and held his hand out, revealing an earpiece. 

"You might need this. Don't worry, it's new," he said. Morai nodded and put it in, then Corviknight launched itself off of the van. 

"Oh, and welcome back, by the way!" 

She flew high in the sky until reaching the Interpol van, where Corviknight executed a swift attack that slashed two tires. They were likely to carry one spare, but certainly not two. Corviknight quickly retreated back into the sky and onto a nearby tree. As expected, the van swerved a bit and slowed to a stop. The two men in the front got out to investigate. 

"Slashed tires. Two of them. This isn't a coincidence. Someone did this...but how, and where? That is the question." 

That voice...

To The Mask Maker's surprise, Looker was the one that got out of the driver's seat. Her stomach immediately dropped. She couldn't say anything through the earpiece, and even if she did tell them not to hurt him, what would they think? Looker was adept at his job, but he was about to be outnumbered, not to mention he probably didn't have a Pokémon. He never carried Pokémon anymore. There was no telling what her teammates were about to do. She may be The Mask Maker, but he was her friend whether she wore a mask or not.

Sigh...okay. Another change of plan. Adaptability is important, and that's what this is. A test of adaptability. I must be as flexible as water fitting into any container it finds itself in.

She spurred Corviknight to fly and headed right toward Looker and his comrade. Two voices came over her earpiece.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Petrel yelled in her ear.

She ignored them and continued on. Corviknight brought its shiny wings in and dove, swooping up at the last second, talons outstretched and open wide, ready to catch its prey. It closed its claws around Lookers arms and began to fly upward and away from the site. The detective let out a shout and struggled to break free, but the avian's grip was strong.

"There. Do what you need to do now," Morai spoke into the earpiece, ignoring the shouts of confusion coming from the other sides. Corviknight dropped Looker onto the ground a second before they landed. He immediately got up and ran toward the pair, but the Pokémon spread its giant wings and shielded its trainer. 

"Cool it. I'm not trying to hurt you. I just needed you away from there, is all." 

What have I just done?

"Yeah? And why is that?" Looker asked.

"It doesn't matter. All that matters is that we stay here. Or I could just leave you here to find your way back alone, I suppose."

"I need to arrest you. You don't expect me to just sit around and not try, do you?"

"No. Corviknight, you know what to do," Morai said. She waved her hand melancholically and sat at the base of a tree. Corviknight jumped up and onto Looker, pinning him to the ground. He struggled against it, but it was no use against the giant bird. 

"I have to say, I'm a little confused," he said. "You've brought me out here for nothing, and now you're just going to sit here? Don't you want something from me? Why not attack me and knock me out, or mind control me on site? Why go through this trouble?"

Because you're my friend, but you don't know it. 

Morai once again felt that pang of guilt. That small voice warning her that she was going to permanently cross the line into the dark side soon. Something foolish and emotional inside of her tempted her to just blurt her secret out. She wanted so desperately for someone to hear her story. But she knew if she told anyone, they'd leave her. Anyone except for Team Rocket, anyway. But they were also the enemies of all of her friends. She leaned her head back on the tree trunk and closed her eyes, thinking of how she was going to explain this to them. What a predicament she was in. She supposed she could just turn herself in right then and there. Everyone would know her secret, but at least she didn't have to carry its burden. It was beginning to weigh on her. 

"Say, why does the criminal look so melancholy?" Looker asked. 

She glanced at Looker. The terrible image from her nightmare flashed into her head. Something inside of her wanted to take her mask off, set it down, and walk away forever. 

Why...why am I crying?

A single tear rolled down her cheek. She was beginning to feel nauseous. Was indulging her darkest desires worth it if she lost all of her friends in the process? 

A light shower of rain began to spread across the area, as if nature itself had sensed her trouble. She looked over at Looker again, who had acquiesced in his current situation. 

"Do you have the time? I lost track of how long it's been," Morai asked.

"I've no idea. But it's almost dark now. It's been an hour, at least."

Morai pondered whether or not to head back now or wait. The rain had given her clothes a light coating of mist. Corviknight was beginning to get wet, but had shielded Looker from the rain. The trainer didn't know if her mask was waterproof or not. She gave a sigh and stood up, hopping onto Corviknight. No sound had come from her earpiece.

"I'd let you ride behind me, but I don't trust you that much," Morai said. Corviknight grabbed the man and flew back to the van. When they had almost reached it, she saw the aftermath of what had happened. The guards in the back of the van and the one of the front were all laying on the ground. When they landed, Morai realized it wasn't as bad as it had seemed. They had simply been shot with darts, probably from far off. They looked as if they had been in scuffles with their enemies, but no casualties were had. A couple of Arcanine lay beside them, peacefully asleep.

She looked around for Proton, but neither he or anyone else from that team was anywhere to be found. Knowing that they had likely been successful, she decided she was going to make the trip back to Kalos that night. Surely Giovanni didn't know where she lived in every region. She prepared to mount her flying Pokémon once more, but she felt a sharp pain in her leg. Looker was standing there with one of the batons the guards had. She supposed he had the same idea she had when she tried to steal Archer's Pokémon. If you strike the leg hard enough and in the right spot, it will sometimes decide it can no longer support the person on it, leaving them scrambling on the ground to get back up. Police officers often use this knowledge to subdue and arrest uncooperative criminals. 

"Hey! I did nothing to you but keep you from this mess!" Morai yelled.

"Even so, it is still my job to capture you. Besides, I want to know why you did it!"

"It was part of the plan. I took care of you so they could take care of their matters," Morai replied.

"You are a part of Team Rocket, then!" Looker said with a smile. 

"I'm not the same as those bloodthirsty miscreants. Don't lump me in with them."

"Which is exactly why you simply removed me from the scene instead of violently taking me out. Do I sense a warm heart beating beneath that dark and cold exterior?" the police agent asked.

"Maybe. But I can feel it growing colder every day." 

Trying to give Corviknight a break, she sent out Malamar. 

"Hypnosis!"

Looker ran to pick up a riot shield laying on the ground, but the Hypnosis effects got to him first. He started to fall, but his subduer caught him, grunting and stumbling backward under his weight and almost falling herself. She set him down gently on the ground, called Malamar back into its ball and hopped on Corviknight once more, leg still throbbing. She was on her way home when a bright light blinded her from the front and a voice sounded in her ear.

"Please get in. Now." 

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

1.3K 53 48
Returning to the Orre Region, 5 years after the events in Pokémon Colosseum, Cipher's back. Back to once again to plan on ruling the world. This time...
11.8K 539 45
Requests: OPEN! Hi there! Ever wanted to know how Leon would react to your confession seconds before death? Or what would happen if Lillie fell down...
29.1K 1.7K 52
The Heroes of Truth and Ideals have left the Unova region, leaving behind chaos that eventually settled. But what hadn't settled however, were the re...
70K 1.2K 29
I don't own Pokemon or any of its characters. All of that belongs to Tsunekazu Ishihara and everyone else who actually owns Pokemon. I just made the...