Connections

By awsmpants

[COMPLETED] "Its you and me. Us...forever. No matter the year, time, past...future." ... More

Prologue
Part 1: The First Avenger
1: Mission
2: Steve
3: Hit Me
4: Jump
5: Whips and Fiddle
6: You
7: Us, Forever
8: Last Mission
9: See You Again
10: The Return
11: Adjustments
Part II: Hydra
12: Taken
13: The Rules
14: Hotel Inessa
15: Off the Grid
16: Grim Reaper
17: Remembrance
18: A Plan
19: The Winter Soldier Program
20: Escape
Part III: Recovery
21: Forgotten
22: Comfort
23: Recall
24: Boxed
Part IV: The Winter Soldier
25: Museum
26: Fury
27: Run and Hide
28: Run
29: Falcon
30: Sitwell
31: Bucky
32: Memories
33: The Kind You Save
34: Find You Again
35: A New Path
Part V: Age Of Ultron
36: Celebration
38: Reunited
39: Lost In Darkness
40: Pawns
Part VI: Civil War
41: The Search
42: The Sokovia Accords
43: Peggy Carter
44: Romania
45: Berlin
46: Not the Only One
47: Safe House
48: Little Calm
49: Helmut Zemo
49: The Truth
50: Wakanda
51: Tony Stark
52: Doctor Strange
53: Layla and the Time Stone
54: The Surprise
Epilogue
Authors Note

37: Ultron

184 10 0
By awsmpants

Tony frantically messed with his phone as the video began to play. "Jarvis?" He called out to the A.I. I just stared at it with everyone else. It was the mission at the hotel Inessa. It showed me fighting alongside Bucky. I stopped breathing as the video continued. Showing everyone one of my many kills with Hydra.

Everyone looked over at me with concern and pity in their eyes. I caught my breath as Steve grabbed my hand. Knowing the guilt I held with each and every person I killed while with Hydra. Knowing the pain I felt loosing myself each and everyday there trying to protect Bucky.

"You're all killers." The robot said.

"Stark." Steve called out to him, as the video began to play again. Steve pulled me away as everyone stopped watching. Forcing me not to watch it again.

"Jarvis." Tony called out again to him but no answer.

"I'm sorry, I was asleep." The thing continued. I just watched it limp around. The anger beginning to boil in my blood. "Or it was a dream. There was this terrible noise. And I was tangle in...strings."

We all just stayed silent as we tried to process what was going on. This was one of Tony's suits. One he built to help when needed.

"I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy." The robot said.

We all looked at each other concerned. This was an empty room for a while now. Who did he kill?

"You killed someone?" Steve asked, keeping his stern face forward.

"Wouldn't have been my first call. But, down in the real world, we're face with ugly choices. She knows better then all of us, don't you Layla Black."

I didn't say anything. I didn't dare. I just tried to breath. Why was this thing pointing me out specifically? I felt Steve pull me back, making sure he stood between me and the robot.

"Who sent you?" Thor asked, walking up as well to block me from from him as well.

The thing paused before a recording on Tony's voice began play.

"I see a suit of armor around the world."

I turned to Tony. Realizing this thing was created by him. My mind began to race. How did he get that video of me? I had only seen one person have it. When I came back and remembered I made sure it was whipped wherever I could find it.

"Ultron." Bruce called out, looking over at Tony.

Ultron flinched, his mangled head looking up, reacting to his name.

"In the flesh." He said before correcting himself, "or no, not yet. Not this chrysalis. But I'm ready. I'm on mission."

I began to shift. Crouching down slowly as Ultron just looked at himself. I reached my hand under the table. Feeling for the gun that I kept hidden there. I quickly grabbed it and slowly stood back up.

"What mission?" Nat asked.

"Peace in out time. Starting with destroying a big threat." Ultron said. He tilted his head a bit, "First, Layla Black. Then the Avengers."

Suddenly, all of Tony's Iron Legion crashed through the walls. One came right for me. Steve quickly kicked up the table, using it to shield himself. The legion crashed into it, pushing us both back as it collided with us.

We both fell onto our backs as I quickly brought my gun up and began shooting at it. It flew off, going after the others. I took a deep breath as Steve looked at me concerned.

"I knew I should've stayed home." I groaned as I stood back up.

"Get somewhere safe. I'll deal with them." He said as I nodded. I watched him run up to one and jump onto it. I quickly ran to the bar and ducked behind it with Nat and Bruce. We both poked our heads up, shooting at them one by one. Nat looked over at me as I nodded.

"Get Bruce out of here." I said quietly. It was a threat to have him here. If he got in the wrong mood then Hulk would come out and we'd all be doomed. Nat quickly grabbed Bruce, bringing him up the stairs.

One by one the Avengers took down the Iron Legion. There was just one left. Nat and I both shot at it in our different positions. Our guns didn't do much against a Stark creation however. Steve quickly threw his shield towards it, slicing it before it fell to the ground.

I leaned back down, resting my head against the bar. Glass shattered around me. I could feel some of the pieces sticking to my legs. Tony quickly came behind the bar, kneeling down and grabbing me.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Physically yes. Mentally no." I stated as he helped me up. He stared at me concerningly as we all looked around. Ultron was gone.

We stood there for a few minutes trying to compose ourselves. Looking around the damage done to the room. I just looked out the window staring out into the city. I didn't plan on my one night of fun turning into a remembrance of a past I wanted to forget.

I took a deep breath as Tony looked at his destroyed Iron Legion. Everyone just stood silently as he stood back up. Thinking of what to do next. Steve just looked angry. His breathing picking up. He looked over at me, his eyes full of fire before looking back at Tony.

"How'd he get that video, Stark?" Steve asked. I took in a deep breath as I just stared at the two of them. Tony just stood there, biting on his lip. Looking like he was trying to find the right answer.

"Tony!"

"Steve, don't." I said quietly. I didn't want them fighting.

Tony just sighed before looking around at everyone. "When we were looking for the tesseract and I hacked into Shield's servers. I found it with all the other deeply hidden shit Fury had."

"Why do you still have it, Tony?" I asked. I felt the shame washing over me all over again. However, I was just more disappointed in Tony.

"I pulled it out along with every file I could find on you, right before Shield fell. Glad I did since Miss Double Agent leaked everything Shield and Hydra had out into the world." Tony sighed and turned to me. I could see the remorseful look he held. I just shook my head and sighed.

"Yeah, what good did that do now, Tony?" Steve asked condescendingly.

"Look I didn't plan on my tech going against me." Tony yelled.

"Enough!" I yelled stepped between the two of them, "Now is not the time."

The room fell silent again, as Steve and Tony just stared at each other. My concern wasn't everyone seeing my shameful past. My concern was Ultron. It needed to be everyone else too.

"Why did Ultron call Layla out specifically?" Thor asked concerned. Everyone just looked at each other. I took a deep breath as everyone looked at me.

"I may not be the strongest Avenger." I said quietly, "However, you all have made mistakes saving the world. I've made them going against it as well. It makes me a worse threat then anybody because I played both sides."

"We don't judge you for your past, Layla." Clint said.

"No, but Ultron does." I sighed. The room fell silent once more. I crossed my hands over my chest. My anger was just pushing through at this point. I felt Steve rub my back to try to comfort me, however it wasn't working. "So what now?"

"Now?" Tony asked as he walked around the room, "For you? Going back to the compound and staying there."

"Tony-"

"No. Ultron's got a huge target on you."

"Yeah and he's got it on all of you too."

"You do what you have to when protecting ones you care about. Ultron knows that and will find a way to use it." Tony said.

"Please when has that stopped me before?" Arguing back. Our voices began to talk over each other.

"Shall watch exhibit A again?"

"Wouldn't have had to if you didn't keep it."

"Hey, I saved your ass from all your dirty little secrets leaking out into the world."

"Oh please! The only thing you saved-"

"Layla!" Steve spoke out. Cutting me off from saying something I was going to regret. I took a deep breath. Tony kept his usual fatherly glare onto me as I turned to Steve. "Tony's right." He said, crossing his arms over his chest. "That something he's already holding over you. It'll be better if you stay back and stay low."

I let out a deep sigh as I looked over at the two of them. I hated that once again I was missing out on a fight. Tony came up to me and place his arm on my shoulders. A thin smile on his face.

"See, we're getting a long now. So you don't have to worry about us." He said.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest. "Fine, you win Tony."

"Ahh my favorite words." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.3K 351 36
Early 2024. America. Adelaide Lehnsherr, formerly Xavier, is now Adelaide Lehnsherr-Barnes. The world should be right - but when is it ever right wi...
1.5M 32.4K 88
A/N: first few chapters are a bit 'cringy' with spelling errors (I write this on my phone) but if you can get past those two things, I PROMISE the st...
12.8K 645 40
Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Rogers gets thrown into the future by one of Mr. Howard Stark's test time machines she finds herself in the twenty-first century...
228K 6.9K 30
Part One of the "No Tricks" Trilogy. Sergeant James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes AKA The Winter Soldier doesn't remember much of his past. You are a forme...