The Red Queen (Editing)

Galing kay lightning1057

The Eldest daughter of Floki the Boatbuilder becomes the best friend of the sons of Ragnar. She goes with the... Higit pa

Meet the Characters
Prologue
Invasion
Treachery
Eye for an Eye
Answers in Blood
Unforgiven
Blood Eagle
Boneless
The Lord's Prayer
Act 2
Mercenary
Warrior's Fate
Scarred
The Userper
Born Again
Breaking Point
Act 3
A Good Treason
Kill the Queen
Mercy
Yol
Promised
What Might Have Been
The Profit and the Loss
Portage
The Last Ship
The Outsider
The Vision
Two Journeys
In the Uncertain Hour Before the Morning
All His Angels
Crossings
The Great Army
Revenge
On the Eve
The Reckoning
Act 4
The Departed Pt1
The Departed Pt2
Homeland
The Plan
The Prisoner
The Message
Full Moon
The Joke
A Simple Story
Moments of Vision
The Revelation
Murder Most Foul
A New God
The Lost Moment
Hell
The Buddha
The Most Terrible Thing
Baldur and Yrsa
What Happens in the Cave
Act 5
New Beginnings
The Prophet
Ghosts, Gods, and Running Dogs
All the Prisoners
The Key
Death and The Serpent
The Ice Maiden
Valhalla Can Wait
Resurrection
The Best Laid Plans
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20

Ragnarok

1.2K 18 2
Galing kay lightning1057

You sat in your throne, Ivar speaking to a scout.
"So?" You husband asks, ready for the news

"We saw two armies marching together. One was led by Bjorn Ironside and King Harald Finehair." The scout says

"You recognized them?" Ivar asks, earning a nod from the man.

"And the other army, by a King or Earl we did not recognize." The scout spoke.

"Together with someone we did recognize." A female scout adds.

"My brother, Hvitserk." Ivar realizes.

"Yes, my King." The male scout said

"And you are completely sure?" Ivar asks

"Yes. Without any doubt." The female scout answers

"That is good, huh?!" Ivar asks, chuckling darkly. "Don't you think that's good, my darling?" Ivar asks as he faces you and Yrsa.

"My fellow gods at last allow me to see my fate!" Ivar sighs as he sat down. "Now all of my brothers are against me. Now I know I'm the chosen one."

-

You sat by the window, listening to banging of the hammers as the blacksmiths make a heavy metal gate and watch the guards on the wall as they prepared for the attack.

You looked to Ivar who lay in bed, asleep. Then you look to Yrsa who also was asleep. You frowned when you saw the empty spot beside her and sighed.

You were really going to betray your husband...

-

When you awoke the next morning, you saw that Ivar wasn't in bed. Instead, he was sitting beside you, watching you sleep. You sat up on your elbows, looking up at your husband. "What is it, Ivar?" You ask

"I need to know that you've forgiven me."

You remained silent as he stared at you with a frown.

"I'm sorry, my little dove. For all that I do. I'm sorry. I love you, Astrid. You know that." Ivar whispers

"And I love you too. I forgive you for hurting me. But I will never forgive you for what you did to Baldur." You say, watching Ivar nod in understanding. "I will always love you, Ivar. But a part of me will always hate you for what you did my my son."

Ivar nodded again, sniffling as you placed a hand on his cheek. You rested your head against his own, both of you now having tears in your eyes. When you heard the sound of the horn, you both pulled away, looking toward the door.

Looking back toward you, Ivar reached toward you, not missing the way that you try to avoid his touch. Moving slowly, he gently stroked your cheek, and then proceeded to pull you in for a kiss.

You loved the familiar feeling as you leaned into him. He smiled at this before he sadly had to pull away and rested his forehead against yours again. "I have to go." He whispers

"I will prepare. Yrsa will remain here with the thralls and we can leave 4 guards behind to protect her." You said, earning a nod from Ivar.

"I will wait outside." Ivar says

You nodded as he left, before you stood and began to get changed.

-

After leaving your daughter with a young thrall and 4 guards, you had run outside to the wall where Ivar and the rest of your men waited, running up the stairs and to where Ivar stood, holding his hand out for you to take which you did.

The army was large and coming from the north. Bjorn stood at the front, white face paint under his eyes and the eyes of his army.

Your forces were divided as more men rushed to the west wall. Everywhere, your army ran to the walls to defend the kingdom as you looked back to Bjorn's forces.

His men shouted their war cries, banging their weapons on their shields. They brought a ram for the door to the front of the army. You saw King Olaf sitting on his throne, watching the whole scene.

Then, they began to push the ram. "FORWARD!" You heard Bjorn roar.

"ARCHERS!!!" Ivar roars. "LOOSE!"

Arrows flew down at the people running to the gate. Ivar kept yelling orders as the ram connected with the gate. They thrived to break it down, hitting it over and over again as you helped the archers shoot at their men.

You would help Bjorn, soon enough. If you still had the courage to betray the love of your life.

"SHOOT THEM!" You shouted, seeing the gate was the break soon enough

"WELCOME HOME, BJORN!" Ivar roared as the eldest son of Ragnar helped try to break the gate. "WELCOME HOME! LOOSE!"

A woman dared to shoot at your husband. You went to shoot her as well but the shield wall that she hid behind managed to protect her.

You heard a horn blowing nearby as you realized they were attacking the west wall as well.

You shot arrow after arrow but the forces of Bjorn were great. If you had the proper amount of men, maybe you could have a better chance of beating them but you knew the chances were slim to none.

His men brought ladders and set them up against the wall.

They were coming...

"SHOOT THEM!" You ordered, abandoning your bow and taking out your sword, grabbing a shield as you prepared to fight.

"No!" Ivar shouted as he moved toward you.

"What do you mean?!" You asked

"They will get over this wall soon enough. Move to the west wall to help there!" Ivar ordered. "You have a better chance at surviving."

Your only thought was of Yrsa and Ivar. If Ivar were to be killed and you were to stupid to listen and died as well, Yrsa would be an orphan. So, you listened, placing a kiss on your lover's lips.

"I love you." You whisper

"I love you to. Now go, my darling."

You nodded, quickly running down the stairs and rushing to the west wall.

-

When you got there, you saw Harald and Hvitserk were attacking with their own forces.

You ran up into the tower and began attacking the men that had been able to get over the wall. You slashed and stabbed until you reached where Harald was trying to climb.

You killed the man beside him, ripping your sword out of his heart before you went to attack Harald, managing to get the sword out of his hand.

With no other choice, Harald was forced to jump off the tower. Sadly, he had managed to remain alive.

You saw Hvitserk had also climbed down the wall to survive.

"LOOSE!" You ordered, the archers quickly firing their arrows down at the enemy.

"DO NOT LOSE COURAGE! ODIN, OUR ALL-FATHER IS WITH US! HE WATCHES THIS MIGHTY BATTLE WITH THE REST OF THE GODS, WAITING TO SEE WHAT GREAT WARRIORS HE WILL TAKE TO VALHALLA! ARE WE AFRAID TO DIE?!" You roar

"NO!" Your men answered

"I CANNOT HEAR YOU!"

"NO!!!"

"THEN FIGHT! FIGHT FOR KATTEGAT! FIGHT FOR YOUR GODS!" You roar

-

Looking to the north wall where Ivar and Bjorn were fighting, you saw that your plan was working. The fire and smoke was large meaning that Ivar was using fire to kill the men using the ram. But you froze when you saw the ram go through the gate.

"LOOSE!" You roar, looking back to the current problem on the west wall.

You were even more surprised when you saw the north wall had people climbing over it since the warriors were busy dealing with the people that had gotten inside.

But it was to late. You could not help Ivar. At all.

"LOOSE!"

You smirked when you heard Bjorn's retreat horn. You had won. Your had won for now.

-

"WHEN I TELL YOU TO KILL BJORN, YOU KILL HIM!" Ivar roared. Apparently, Bjorn had given a powerful speech and nobody listened to Ivar when they were told to fire at Bjorn. "You have to understand 1 thing. That Bjorn is NOT your friend. He is your enemy! If he and King Harald succeed in their ambitions, then what future do we have? They have great plans, yes, but those plans do not involve you. You, the ordinary folk of Kattegat. I am the only one who speaks for you! And I swear, that I will live and die for any of you! All that I ask is for your absolute loyalty. Otherwise, we shall all perish together."

-

As everyone celebrated the victory, you stood to the side, watching Ivar cheer and drink with the men surrounding him.

"My Lady." A thrall said from beside you. "It is Princess Yrsa's feeding time."

You nodded, not hesitating to take your child from her arms and moving to the back.

"Come now, darling." You whispered to Yrsa as you began to feed her.

Your hatred toward Ivar was growing and your love, while it was still so very strong, was slowly starting to fade. He was completely unaffected by Baldur and the loss of lives from the battle today.

How could he not care?

"So, Astrid the heartless has a heart." Ragnar's words repeated in your head.

You knew that you were going to betray him. It was fate.

-

Late that night, you had ridden out towards the camp of Bjorn, Harald, Olaf and Hvitserk.

"Halt! Who are you?!" A guard asked as you approached the camp

You took off your hood, revealing yourself.

-

Now, you made your way to the tent where the leaders were. When you walked in, Hvitserk's eyes widened.

"Astrid, what are you doing here? You should not-"

"I had to come." You tell him. "I have much to say."

This grabbed everyone's attention as you looked back to Hvitserk. "Thora is dead, my friend." You sigh. "Ivar ordered to have her burned alive, along with many others. He told me to give them to mark of death before everyone was taken to the woods and were killed."

You could hear Hvitserk's heart shattering as his eyes fill with tears. He looked away as he sniffled.

"I am sorry, Hvitty. He killed our son but our daughter lives." You say as you face the others. "Ivar is turning into a monster. We must stop him and I will help if that is what you choose. If you wish for me to leave, then I will go."

"How? How can we stop him, Astrid?" Bjorn asks as he looks to you.

"There is a secret way into the town. Ivar created it in case we ever needed to escape. Only we know about it. That is how I got out. I can show your scouts where it is and I will open it for you in the morning. Be ready." You said, going to leave but Bjorn grabbed your arm and stopped you.

"Thank you, my friend." He said, pulling you into a hug.

You let out a shaky sigh, having not hugged Bjorn since Sigurd's death all those years ago.

"I still think of you as my sister and I still love you, Astrid." Bjorn whispers.

You nodded and pulled away. "Before I leave, I have one more thing to say. While I know that Ivar has caused great pain to all of you, I wish for you not to kill him. I wish for my daughter to be able to remember her father when she grows. If you were to kill him now, she will not. Leave him in a cell, torture him. Do what you wish for we all know he deserves it. But don't kill him."

Bjorn thought for a moment before he nodded and soon, you were escorted out of the tent.

-

You woke up early that morning, your husband still asleep, along with your daughter.

You held a torch in your hand as you moved to the secret entrance, and opening the door disguised as a part of the wall. Frowning, your heart beat faster and faster.

You were doing it. You were betraying Ivar.

-

You crawled back into bed, unaware that Ivar was awake and had been waiting for you to return. He rolled over, startling you as his piercing blue eyes stared into your soul.

"Where did you go, my darling wife?" Ivar asks, dragging you closer to him.

"I could not sleep." You sighed. "I went for a walk."

"Hm." Ivar hummed. "Why not wake me?" He asked

"You need the rest." You said

Ivar nodded, nuzzling into your neck.

You jumped at the sound of the war horn. Bjorn was attacking. "They are attacking the walls again." You frowned

"I'm not sure I even need to get out of bed." Ivar said before he sat up and began to get ready.

"Today, I want you to remain inside with Yrsa. They nearly got inside yesterday. It is to dangerous. Not to mention, this way, I know you're safe."

You sighed and nodded as you also sat up, changing into your clothes and keeping your sword close as you moved to the throne room, Yrsa in your arms.

-

"Astrid! My love!" Ivar said as he entered the hall

You stood, placing Yrsa in the crib beside your throne.

"Come here. I need you." Ivar said, glancing back at the door. You walked to stand in front of your husband who looked back to you. "Someone let them in."

"What do you mean?" You ask

"There's no other way they could've gotten inside the walls. Someone betrayed me and let them in." Ivar said

You remained silent as you slowly looked up from the ground to your husband. "Are you going to deny it?" Ivar asks

"No. On the body of our dead son, no. I let them in." You said, placing your hand on his cheek, watching his eyes grow wide and angry. "I made a deal with them. They take Kattegat and you live. You live to see our daughter grow." You whispered

Ivar growled, seeing how your eyes drifted to the arm that held the sword.

You quickly backed away as Ivar swung his sword at you. Running back to the throne, you grabbed your own sword, swinging and slashing at your husband.

Ivar had the disadvantage of being a cripple as you knocked him down. He managed to trip you, causing you to hit your head as he crawled over you.

Grabbing your neck with a tight grip, Ivar whimpered as he choked you. "Why? Why do you do this?" He cried

You found the strength to role over and pin Ivar down as you coughed. "You killed my son." You sobbed as you continued to fight your husband, both of you rolling on the ground, trying to kill each other.

"Ivar! Stop!" You sobbed as he managed to pin you to the ground again.

Looking up, you saw that Ivar was also crying as he held you. "You betrayed me..."

"And I am so very sorry, Ivar. But if you want to live, you need to leave. Please. I want for my daughter to know you. I want you to live." You beg, pulling him down so you could properly hold him.

The cries of your child echoed throughout the hall as you and Ivar lay in each other's arms, both of you crying.

"You must go.... You must." You whisper to your lover as you both sat up

Ivar nodded, placing a kiss on your lips. "I love you, Astrid. I will always love you."

"I love you to, Ivar." You whisper as tears flow down your cheeks like water in a stream.

He grabbed his crutch and stood, helping you up.

Limping towards your throne, he reached toward his daughter with a smile, rubbing her small hand as she slowly started to calm down. "I love you, Yrsa. I will come home one day."

You let out a sob as Ivar placed a kiss on her forehead before he turned and did the same to you. With a final glance, he left the hall, hurrying to escape.

-

Now, you sat on your throne, Yrsa in your lap as you looked to the skull of your son which lay in a special box beside your throne.

You weren't surprised when Hvitserk and Bjorn kicked the door down and entered.

"Astrid." Bjorn panted as he approached, Hvitserk following. "Where is Ivar?"

"Gone. He fled." You replied

Bjorn, angered by the news, let out a hiss. Other then that, both men remained silent as they looked to the baby girl in your arms.

"This is your niece, Yrsa. Daughter of Ivar the Boneless." You said

Bjorn put down his sword and moved to the throne. "May I hold her?"

You nodded, handing your daughter to her oldest uncle.

You watched Yrsa reach up to her uncle, putting her hands under his eyes with a look of wonder.

-

With the men now gone, you lay in bed, leaving Yrsa in her crib.

You hated the silence, remembering how Ivar would always fill the room with laughter before the birth of your children. Unable to take it, you left the room, moving outside, leaving Yrsa with a thrall.

-

You watched as your people moved out of the way for you, all of hem watching as you froze. Ubbe, Torvi and Lagertha stood in the centre of them all. They had returned from England.

Ubbe's face was covered in marks from a fight whereas Torvi's and Lagertha's faces were clean of blood and dirt.

Upon seeing you, the family all looked toward you. Ubbe slowly started walking forward as he saw your sad and angry face.

Now he stood in front of you, frowning at your teary eyes.

"I'm sorry." You whispered

Ubbe smiled before he nodded and pulled you in for a hug. He noticed that you were shaking and frowned even more as he held you tighter. "It's okay. It's alright."

After a moment, you pulled away from your friend and looked to Torvi. She had her own tears in her eyes as she rushed to hug you.

You both let out quiet sobs as you held each other. "I forgive you." She said. You let out a sigh of relief as you held your friend when you heard Lagertha.

"Astrid..."

Turning, you faced her as Torvi rubbed your arm.

"Oh, you poor child." Lagertha frowned as she moved to hug you.

This time, your feelings that you had kept hidden were so powerful that you collapsed in her arms as you cried.

Everyone felt pity for you. You lost Angrboda. You lost Ragnar. You lost Aslaug. You lost Sigurd. You lost your mother. You lost Tanaruz then your father. You lost Astrid. You lost Baldur. Now Ivar has left Kattegat.

You cried and cried until you ran out of tears.

-

Now, you stood in the hall, your people standing among you.

"My people, as most of you know, Ivar has left Kattegat. Because of this, you have no King. I am prepared to lead you myself. And as your Queen, I swear on my child and on the Gods that I will do my duties to ensure that all of you are happy, safe and protected from our enemies." You announced

"HAIL QUEEN ASTRID!" Lagertha shouted, the people repeating the words.

"HAIL QUEEN ASTRID! HAIL QUEEN ASTRID! HAIL QUEEN ASTRID!"

You sat down in your throne, taking a deep breath. You were now the sole leader of Kattegat.

"Power is only given to those who are prepared to lower themselves to pick it up." Ragnar said as if he were beside you

"And so it has come to pass. The further foretold. The dark raven, the eagle and the wolf have laid bare the bones of corpses. Here is the story of the world. Make what use of it you can." The Seer tells you

"What of my rule?" You ask. "What is to become of me?"

"No one will ever forget the name Astrid the Heartless. Greater then King Ragnar. But the war is not yet over."

"Is any of this real, Ancient One?" You ask

"Take your child and go to the docks. For there, you will find your answer sitting on a wagon."

-

The Seer was right. After arriving at the docks, you played with your daughter for a moment, glancing around every now and then.

Looking to your left, you saw Ivar, in disguise, sitting on the back of a wagon. You gasped as you made eye contact with him, seeing him smile at the sight of you and Yrsa.

"Say bye to Papa." You whisper, holding Yrsa so she can see him.

Yrsa cooed as she reached to him but he was much to far.

Ivar slightly raised his hand, waving.

With tears in your eyes, you waved to your husband as the wagon began to leave. Ivar smiled at you and waved once more, very slightly, before he looked back down as to not be noticed.

Only then did he let his tears fall, the image of his smiling daughter and laughing wife burned into his mind as he rode further away from Kattegat. The further he got, the more his heart stung.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

162K 4.9K 26
"Tell me, when will I meet the great love of my life? I am so angry and full of hate, so much so that Ubbe and Sigurd say, that no woman will love me...
86.6K 2.1K 36
The gods have spoken, One of Ragnar sons will marry a Queen. This new King leaves the queen new challenges to face, ones she has never faced before.
31.4K 1.1K 24
she wanted to make her own fate. the gods laughed, how would a mortal change what's already set in stone? vikings season 4B - 6B oc x ivar (slow bur...
440 9 1
After arriving in Kattegat, you learn some things about your new life that you weren't' expecting. During this time, you become unlikely friends with...