17

With the preparations set for England, you walked with Ivar, Hvitserk and Yrsa down the dock as you all followed Harald and Ingrid.

Hvitserk got on the boat and helped Ivar on before Ivar turned to you and helped get Yrsa on before he helped you on as well.

"Your limp is getting worse, little dove." Ivar whispers. "I think it caused permanent damage. While we're sailing, I want you to rest. While we aren't fighting, you are resting." Ivar says

"Ivar-"

"No, Astrid. I'm getting worried." Ivar frowns

Seeing the seriousness in his eyes, you nodded and sighed as the boat set sail and you sat down with Yrsa in your lap.

There were many boats. 200 boats, each with nearly 20 men. Your excitement was clear as you grinned widely.

-

Now, in England, you sat in the tent with the other leaders as Harald spoke.

"I don't think we should attack the Royal Villa. The Saxons must have increased its fortifications and defences."

"I agree." You say. "We must flush the King out of his stronghold, force him to fight at a place of our choosing."

"Which would be?" Hvitserk asks

"Here." You say, pointing at the map. "Edington. I remember it. Ragnar took us up the steep hill beyond the town to the ramparts of an ancient fort. Looking down the valley below, what did he tell you, my love?" You ask, looking to a grinning Ivar.

"'This is the perfect place for battle.' This is where we will fight." Ivar said

-

You bathed in the river, your hair tied in a bun as you clean yourself.

Ivar watched, not to far away, as you inspected your leg. The scar was large and sensitive to the touch. You knew that during the battle against White Hair and the Bandits, that he had hit something very important. You were surprised that you survived such a thing.

Ivar knew that you were growing to weak to fight and soon enough, you would never be able to fight again. With your injured leg slowing you down, it would be easy for anyone to attack and possibly kill you. But as he watched you sit in the river and clean your skin, he wondered how he could ever stop you from doing what you love?

-

Now, you had moved further into England and set up another camp for the night.

"I think we have reached here. So far, we have encountered no Saxons, but from now on, we will have to pass their villages and towns. And we don't want to risk any large and unexpected encounter. I have no doubt they know we're upon the river." Harald sighs

"That's why we should stop trying to be invisible." Ivar said. "On the contrary, we should announce our presence, start spreading terror among the local population. Hvitserk and I will take a party out tomorrow. Hopefully, we can steal some horses, and find out if Alfred is mustering an Army."

You nod at this, knowing you were to stay behind.

-

With farms being burned down and animals being stolen, you smirked as the flames rose higher and higher.

A small Saxon army had nearly killed Ivar and his men today, and you had managed to convince Ivar to let you be on some journeys with him when in England, that way, neither of you were to far from each other for to long.

"Look, Papa!" Yrsa said, showing off how she rode the horse with Revna's help.

At this, both you and Ivar smiled, seeing them get along.

"Good job, Yrsa!" Ivar cheers, watching the young girl atop the horse as Revna carefully walked beside the beast to make sure the Princess wouldn't be harmed.

-

Riding up the hill, you, Ivar, Hvitserk, and Harald scanned the field where the battle would take place.

"What did I tell you? Is this not perfect?" You ask, gesturing to the large and open space. "King Alfred will be bound to venture out and raise an army and to visit his strongholds." You say, gesturing to the south where the strongholds lie. "But wherever he goes, we'll see him."

"We should position scouts on top of all those surrounding hills to warn of his approach." Harald said

"And apart from that, we just wait?" Hvitserk asks

"But, of course, my brother. We know what we're doing and if my wife says this is best, then it is best!" Ivar proudly exclaims

-