The Swap

By Sonu2314

Annabeth Chase is an intelligent 17-year-old with a special secret. She has an incredible voice, but very few... More

Synopsis + Credits
Chapter 1: Girl On Fire
Chapter 2: Water
Chapter 3: Happier
Chapter 4: Take Me to Church
Chapter 5: Say Something
Chapter 6: The Search
Chapter 7: Princesses Don't Cry
Chapter 8: Blood in the Water
Chapter 9: Isn't She Lovely
Chapter 10: Arcade
Chapter 11: Mirrors
Chapter 12: Beautiful People
Chapter 13: Bad Blood
Chapter 14: Touch It
Chapter 15: Emotions
Chapter 16: Scars in Heaven
Chapter 17: When We Fall Apart
Chapter 18: You Say
Chapter 19: Changes
Chapter 20: Love on the Brain
Chapter 21: Fight Song
Chapter 23: Happy
Chapter 24: Into You
Chapter 25: Million To One
Thank U, Next

Chapter 22: Unstoppable

1.2K 51 8
By Sonu2314

Percy POV 

I knew that Annabeth was probably feeling nervous. She seemed ready to express herself, which was great. However, the initial step could be daunting. 

But, I learned that the benefits were worth it. 

Regardless, I couldn't believe that I hugged Wise Girl, from the back no less. While it felt good and spontaneous, I realized after that it was so weird. I mean, Annabeth and I were no more than friends at the moment. 

However, we knew each other better than pretty much anyone else. After all, we lived in each other's lives for a few weeks. 

The audience was buzzing. The last performance was a very good drama act, and Annabeth was coming on next. 

Annabeth and Thalia's names flashed brightly on the screens bordering the edges of the stage. 

"Ooh, this is it," Piper squealed.

"Yeah, I'm so excited," Leo squealed even more than Piper. "Guys, Annabeth is such a good singer, you'll see." 

I smiled as I nodded. I was very excited to see Wise Girl perform. This would be one of the most meaningful moments of her life. I was sure of it. 

I picked 'Fight Song' because it summed up Annabeth's fierce and beautiful personality. I felt beyond satisfied that Annabeth stayed with my song choice. My opinion mattered to her a lot. 

My smile brightened as the curtains drew open. 

Annabeth was standing in a simple dress and wavy hair. She was exactly herself as she stood in front of the mic. Thalia was a few feet away from her with a guitar. 

The audience quietened as we waited for the performance. 

"I also mixed the music, by the way," Leo whispered. Several of our friends shushed him light-heartedly. We were all ready for Wise Girl.

Annabeth's eyes searched the audience and first went to her family, which made her smile. Then, she found her friends and me. 

I was sitting fairly far away, but I could still lock gaze with her. 

I smiled reassuringly, which brought a smile onto her face as well. She took a deep breath and nodded, signaling the music to start. 

Her voice started soft and beautiful. It simply pulled everyone into her performance and her world. 

I smiled as I watched her let loose. 

She was so gorgeous and so talented. Her performance blew everyone away. She was definitely one of the best acts of the night. 

The whole crowd was on their feet before the song even finished. 

The cheering was deafening, and I appreciated every bit of it. Annabeth looked so happy up there as she smiled, bowed, and waved. 

"WOOHOO," Leo shouted next to me. 

I laughed as Annabeth walked off the stage with Thalia. Both of them were talking excitedly due to loads of adrenaline. She should be so proud of herself. 

Piper continued to laugh as she sat back down. Then, she seemed to get an idea and leaned towards me. 

"How much do you want to kiss her right now?" Piper said slyly. 

My cheeks reddened as I nudged her playfully to back off. Piper simply laughed at my embarrassment. 

Gods, I wanted to kiss Wise Girl so badly. No words could describe how much I wanted to be with her. 

***

I didn't even have time to interact with Annabeth after the show. The talent show was longer than I expected, and I needed to go home for a good night's rest. 

After all, I had districts the next day. 

While I would've loved to show my support, going home and sleeping was the right choice. I felt charged and ready the next day. 

Districts were held at Allegheny High School, which had the biggest pool within our district. After all, Allegheny was the largest school nearby since it was in a larger city. 

After a few warm-up laps, I got out of the pool.

Each school got a 20-minute block to warm up before the tournament starts. Most of the heats would take place today, but there were a couple more tomorrow, followed by the awards and qualifications ceremony. 

"Percy," Coach Hedge acknowledged. 

He sat next to me on the stands. Only a few swimmers in our team qualified for the upper-level competition. There were 8 teammates here from Goode High. 

From the expectation, it was believed that I'd definitely qualify for Regionals. Humbly speaking, I was pretty confident. 

I was positive that Katie would also do very well. 

"Yes, coach," I said. 

"Good luck, son. I believe in you," Coach expressed sincerely. I smiled as I internalized his words because they meant a lot. 

It was a reminder of expectations but in a positive light. 

Coach nodded finally before walking towards the other coaches near the pool. He wanted to see his friends from other schools. 

I had friends from other schools as well. Years of swimming with the same teammates and competitors created a social bond between us. 

The tournament started off strong. 

I was primed, yet relaxed. Being in the water and swimming only further comforted my brain and body. I let all distractions leave my body, and I focused on what I loved. 

My muscles pumped through the water during the 100m freestyle. It was a very competitive time at the level of States and Nationals: several seconds ahead of the swimmers here. 

I smiled as I took in the cheering. 

No one from my school was here for support. I didn't expect them to be. After all, Allegheny High School was a few hours away from Goode High.

The team was staying at a hotel tonight. 

"Great job today, Percy. You're pretty much qualified," Katie said with a laugh. Frank also smiled supportively as he patted my back. 

"Thanks, guys, you all were amazing as well."

"You must be very excited," Frank commented. 

"Yeah, I am. I made it to States last year, and I really want to see how much I've grown. I love swimming, and I love making that into something beneficial for me and everyone else," I said positively. 

"Absolutely. Plus, you're a lot more relaxed now."

"I have Annabeth to thank for that. She just makes life easier and better for me."

"I'm surprised you guys aren't together yet," Katie said slyly as we stepped out of the hotel elevator. 

"Things are a little complicated. A lot is going on," I explained. 

However, I wasn't even sure what was holding me back. It was never the right time; you just had to make sure that it was the right person. 

And, Annabeth was definitely the right person.

"So, you admit that you're interested?" Frank asked. I sighed as I responded, "I'd be a fool not to be." 

Frank and Katie both smiled before going into our rooms. It wasn't until after coming back to the Frank's and my hotel room that I noticed my phone. 

Frank immediately went to shower, so I decided to call my mom. 

After that conversation, I called the next person that texted me: Annabeth. She answered after a few moments. 

Immediately, music blared through my speakers. 

"Woah, Wise Girl, are you at a party?" I asked. "Without me?" I added with a smirk. 

"For your information, I am at a party, Seaweed Brain. Piper and Thalia dragged me into it, but it's actually a lot of fun," Annabeth said. 

I could envision the smile on her face. She must've gone into the bathroom or something because the background noise got quieter. 

"Not too much fun, I hope, if you get my drift." 

I chuckled at my own stupid joke as I worked on getting my pajamas out of my duffel bag. 

"Yeah, and what would you do if I had a little fun with someone, Seaweed Brain?" Annabeth asked while chuckling. 

"I'd probably cry, Wise Girl. Don't even joke," I said firmly. 

I hated the notion of Annabeth with someone else. Annabeth continued laughing before saying, "Well, I'm single, so I'm allowed."

The conversation continued about the talent show and districts. It's funny how we thought that getting us through the show and districts was the point of swapping lives. We couldn't be more wrong. 

Swapping lives with Annabeth was about both of us realizing the importance of expressing our feelings and thoughts. We both needed it. 

"So, Seaweed Brain, what's your stance on making the first move?" Annabeth asked suddenly. 

"Like in a relationship?"

"Yes, Seaweed Brain. What else would I be talking about?" she retorted. 

I sighed as my mind raced. I didn't understand why she's asking about relationship advice. I wondered if she had someone else in mind. I wasn't smiling anymore. 

"Well, um, anyone can make the first move: guys or girls. In fact, most guys find it incredibly hot when a girl makes the first move," I said genuinely. 

I wasn't gonna lie to Annabeth out of possible jealously. 

"Interesting," was her reply. Then, the conversation shifted to other topics, leaving me in a state of uncomfortable confusion. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please, keep the song recommendations coming in the comments. I just might add them to my next story, which is coming up soon. 

Check out all my other stories if you haven't already.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE: READ + VOTE + SHARE + COMMENT + FOLLOW

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

196K 8.4K 58
In which Annabeth and Percy are best friends, then lovers, and back to being strangers, then lovers again, then they die. The end. [I'm editing t...
80.8K 2.7K 48
Every witch or wizard receives a Hogwarts letter on their eleventh birthday. But what happens when some of those letters are destroyed? Hermione Gra...
79.6K 11.9K 72
නුඹ නිසා දැවුණි.....💙 නුඹෙන් මා නිවෙමි......💙
34.8K 4.3K 25
''Marriage is the union of two hearts beating as one, each that would sacrifice for the other's happiness and wellbeing. It is the blessing that two...