Connections

By awsmpants

[COMPLETED] "Its you and me. Us...forever. No matter the year, time, past...future." ... More

Prologue
Part 1: The First Avenger
1: Mission
2: Steve
3: Hit Me
4: Jump
5: Whips and Fiddle
6: You
7: Us, Forever
8: Last Mission
9: See You Again
10: The Return
11: Adjustments
Part II: Hydra
12: Taken
13: The Rules
14: Hotel Inessa
15: Off the Grid
16: Grim Reaper
17: Remembrance
18: A Plan
19: The Winter Soldier Program
20: Escape
Part III: Recovery
21: Forgotten
22: Comfort
23: Recall
24: Boxed
Part IV: The Winter Soldier
25: Museum
26: Fury
27: Run and Hide
28: Run
29: Falcon
30: Sitwell
31: Bucky
32: Memories
33: The Kind You Save
35: A New Path
Part V: Age Of Ultron
36: Celebration
37: Ultron
38: Reunited
39: Lost In Darkness
40: Pawns
Part VI: Civil War
41: The Search
42: The Sokovia Accords
43: Peggy Carter
44: Romania
45: Berlin
46: Not the Only One
47: Safe House
48: Little Calm
49: Helmut Zemo
49: The Truth
50: Wakanda
51: Tony Stark
52: Doctor Strange
53: Layla and the Time Stone
54: The Surprise
Epilogue
Authors Note

34: Find You Again

262 12 0
By awsmpants

I stared at him as he held his gun up to me. I slowly held my hands up in the air. Chip still sitting in-between my fingers. I felt my breathing pick up as the gun shook in his hand a little bit. I needed to get this chip into the system before it was too late. Bucky's stare was intense. I still couldn't tell what he was thinking. Suddenly, he slowly lowered his gun.

"I don't want to fight you." He said simply. I lowered my hands as his face filled with confusion.

"Why?" I asked.

"I don't know why." He replied. We stood in silence as his eyes shifted around the room. He looked confused. Like he was struggling against himself. I walked slowly towards him. Keeping my hands up. My heart was beating so fast. I knew I was going to see him here, however not right at this moment.

"Do you know who I am?" I asked quietly. Bucky looked back over to me. He furrowed his brows. I could see the darkness in his eyes. I stopped moving when I did.

"Layla Black. Hydra test subject 738." He answered. His voice held no emotion as well, "I'm supposed to bring you back with me."

"Six minutes, Black." Hill said into the coms. I took in a sharp breath. I wasn't going to be able to finish this mission with him here. I slowly lowered my hands shifting the chip into my pocket. I walked closer some more. He quickly reacted, lifting his gun back up in front of him.

"You and I both know you remember more." I said. I could see his breathing become heavy. His chest moved up and down rapidly. I reached my hand out to him. His eyes followed my every moved. I lightly place my hand onto his arm. He took in a sharp breath. He slowly lowered the gun. I could feel him clutch it tightly.

Right in that moment I could see Steve walking up. Bucky seemed to notice it too. Bucky turned and held his gun up to Steve. I quickly lifted my leg up kicking it out of his hand. The gun fell down below us, the impact echoing around us.

Steve ran up and began fighting Bucky. I tried my best to help. Bucky flipping back and forth between us, blocking every hit. Bucky shot his arm towards Steve, who managed to catch it in his hand.

"Layla now!" Steve yelled at me. I nodded and quickly turned around. I ran over to the console and looked around at it. I pressed a few buttons on the keypad. Immediately trays of keycards slid down. In that same moment Bucky came up behind me. I felt him grab me by the neck and pull me away.

I stumbled backwards as Steve began to struggle to stand up behind me. The key card falling behind Bucky. I quickly grabbed a knife out of the holder on my thigh. I could see he had one as well in his hand. Bucky ran at me with his. I blocked it with mine. In sync we struggled against each other. Flipping the knives between our hands. It was a true sentiment to him being my teacher.

However, I could tell I was a bit rusty. I thrusted my knife towards him. His metal arm caught it. I tried to pull back against. His clutch around my knife was too strong. He lifted his up in another hand. I quickly let go and moved back as best I could.

I felt the knife cut against my shoulder as I moved away. I groaned in pain as I reached for the cut. I could feel the blood begin to ooze out. In that same moment Steve was back up. He threw his shield at Bucky as I ducked down to avoid it. I swept my leg under Bucky's, knocking him down.

I jumped over Bucky quickly and grabbed the key card. I felt his hand grip tightly to my ankle. I fell forward hitting my head hard on the catwalk. He got up as Steve reached back for his Shield. I rolled over, a loud groan escaping my lips. Bucky reached down for me, but before he could grab me Steve threw his shield once more.

Bucky caught it in his hands and threw it back at Steve. I kicked my leg up once more, knocking Bucky back to Steve. I flipped up, running to the panel as Steve and Bucky struggled against each other. I moved fast, hearing Hill counting down the seconds on the coms. I placed the keycard in its slot and let out a sigh of relief.

"Charlie locked." I said into the com. Before I could celebrate Bucky managed to get behind me again. I felt his arm wrap around my neck, locking me in a choke hold. I struggled against him as we both began to walk backwards. I felt both of our bodies flip over the railing of the catwalk.

I breathed heavily as everything happened quickly. I could see the ground below us start to get closer and closer. I felt Bucky moved his arms away from my neck, and around my waist. He flipped us around quickly as he fell behind me instead. He slammed to the ground first, his body cushioning our fall. At the same time I felt a crack in my shoulder from the impact of falling onto Bucky's body.

I rolled over as the breath from lungs escaped me. I closed my eyes tightly as the pain shot through my arm. I laid on my back trying to catch my breath. I opened my eyes as Bucky rolled up, looking down at my concerningly. A loud ringing in my ears began to drown out our breaths.

"You could've just let me die." I groaned.

"That not my mission." He said quietly.

"Bullshit."

He stood up and looked down at me. I closed my eyes as the pain moved throughout my body now. My head hurt from hitting it earlier, my arm now immobile. I couldn't move. I could see Steve jump down, as the two of them began to fight. Everything was blurring as I tried to get up.

I could see Steve struggling against him. Bucky managed to get his gun back from the floor. Getting a few shots on him.

"Steve, Layla. You both need to get out of there now!" I could hear Hill yell. I closed my eyes and groaned as I looked at Steve. He looked pretty beaten up to so far. I slowly lifted my arm up, the pain soreness shooting through my body as I did.

"Do it." I huffed.

"But you guys-"

"Do it now!" Steve yelled back. I looked at him as I struggled to get up. I stood on my feet and staggered in my stance. Steve looked at me and nodded. Both of us knowing it had to be done. In that moment explosion's surrounded us. Pieces of the plane fell above us. I looked up as a large metal piece fell above me.

I closed my eyes trying to focus my energy up to phase. However before I could Bucky ran in and threw me out of the way. My body flew towards Steve as he caught me. I groaned as Steve held me up. The metal piece fell and landed on top of Bucky.

I tried to run over but my body fell instead. Steve managed to get there before me tried to help him out.

"Layla phase out now!" he yelled as more explosions happened. I felt the tears begin to form in my eyes as Bucky struggled himself loose under the metal.

"Not without you both!" I yelled back. I looked over at Bucky as he turned to me. His eyes we're glaring. I could tell he was in pain, but it seemed like he was struggling with something else.

"Its only going to get worse. You cant do anything else. Go now!" Steve yelled as he lifted the large metal piece higher. I looked over at Bucky as he stared at me. I could see the concern setting into his face along with the confusion.

"LAYLA NOW!" Steve yelled one last time. I took in a sharp breath as I felt the carrier hit the building. I focused what energy I had left out to the waters below us. I felt my body fall a bit before hitting the lake. I held my breath as my body shot through the water before stopping. I struggled up to the surface with my one arm.

I sat there and floated in the water seeing the helicarriers fall to pieces. I closed my eyes tightly and caught my breath before swimming myself slowly to the surface.

Once I reached the surface I crawled myself to a tree. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes tightly. I brought my hand to my broken shoulder. I let out a scream as I pushed the bone back into place. I sat there for a second trying to catch my breath as the plane began to fall.

I stood up slowly and stared up at the sky. Steve was still up there. Bucky was still up there. I felt my breathing pick up as the helicarrier quickly begin to dissipate. Pieces of debris splashed into the water below it. Suddenly, a small figure flew through the sky. I focused closely as I could see Steve fall to the water. I could barely see him but it was him.

I quickly ran through the woods, avoiding trees and stepping over stones. I arrived to the shore where he fell quickly, the water brushing against the mud. I stopped as a man walked through the water. Bucky pulled through dragging Steve in his hand. They moved slowly before stopping at the shore.

I watched as Bucky had his back to me. Steve looked pretty beaten. I'm guessing from the rest of the fight. Bucky just stood there and stared at him. He turned around slowly but didn't move. Our eyes locked as his face dropped. He took a deep breath and shook his head. Continued to walk again.

"Where are you going?" I asked as he walked by me.

"I don't know." He said quickly. I just stared as he passed by me. Why can't he say more? Say something else.

"So that's it? You save me and save Steve, then just leave?" I said quickly. I could feel the tears begin to fall down my face, "You have to remember something." He just kept walking ignoring my every word.

"Please.." I cried. He suddenly stopped. I breathed heavily as the wind filled the silence around us. I could see the fingers of the metal arm begin to curl.

"Its you and me." He said quietly. He turned around to me and walked closer. Standing inches away, "Us...forever." A small smile appeared on his face.

My body moved on its own. I pressed my lips onto his. I felt like I was in a dream. I missed him so much. I missed this. Everything we had gone through, yet always coming back to this moment. I felt his arms wrap around my waist, pulling me closer to him. Our kiss deepened before he pulled away.

I stood there as the tears fell faster. He gave me one last smile before letting go of me. I could see the pain in his face. Not wanting to leave. He reached up to his neck and pulled on the dog tags around it. He slowly grabbed my hand, the cold steel of his metal arm sending me shivers. He placed them into my hand before curling my hands over the necklace.

"To keep you calm until I figure it out." He said simply. He pulled his hand away before dropping it by his leg. A sad smile appearing on his face. I took a deep breath and looked down at his dog tags. I felt the pain wash over me.

In that moment I could hear sirens in the distance. Possibly what was left of Shield coming to check out the wreckage. My heart broke a bit as he could hear it too. Knowing full well if he stayed here he would be captured. Even worse it could give Hydra a chance to get him back.

"I have to go." He said quietly.

I nodded. The tears now falling because he was going to leave me. "I know. I'll find you again soon, Soldier."

He scoffed and looked down at the ground. He looked back up to me, not with a smile. However not with a frown. It was something in between. He began to walk backwards, not wanting to take his eyes off of me. I took a deep breath as he turned around and disappeared into the woods.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 19.2K 180
‼️The story is in 2 parts, Enjoy!! Self-insert‼️ You are a former Black Widow who has been in hiding for years. You have made amends and have dealt w...
19.7K 610 59
*CURRENTLY BEING EDITED - EDITED CHAPTERS HAVE THE NUMBER WRITTEN WITH NO NUMBERS* When Tony first met Grace, she had just climbed out of a cryogenic...
12.8K 645 40
Elizabeth 'Lizzie' Rogers gets thrown into the future by one of Mr. Howard Stark's test time machines she finds herself in the twenty-first century...
34.9K 948 26
'𝘣𝘢𝘡 𝘸𝘩𝘒𝘡 π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘨𝘳π˜ͺ𝘦𝘧 π˜ͺ𝘧 𝘯𝘰𝘡 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨?' ...