Gossip Girl (Book Five)

بواسطة LizzyR2017

Lena is getting married and it's supposed to be the happiest time of her life, but something is wrong. Somet... المزيد

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Note

Sixteen

420 8 0
بواسطة LizzyR2017

The one thing that my parents kept repeating over and over again while I was away was 'to not come back until I was positive that was where I needed to be' and I know I'm ready to be back home. But I don't know if I'm ready for all that entails. I thanked the man bringing in my bags and Rose walked into the room with a smile. "Miss Lena! You're back!" Rose cheered, hugging me and I smiled.

"Yes, and I am starving." I stated.

"I make your favorite." Rose walked out of the room and I let out a deep breath. I feel like I have a million things to do and no way to get them all done.

After doing my best to calm myself down, I left my room heading towards the table. "You're back!" I heard Serena and turned around to look at her.

I smiled, hugging her. "I'm so happy to be back. No matter what I'm going through, I love being in the city and no one is going to take that from me. Now, tell me what incredible romantic plans you have for today." I don't think I've ever changed the topic so fast in my life.

"Oh, you know, just interviewing a 70-year-old avowed celibate woman for my 'All the reasons I hate Valentine's Day' column, and trying to figure out ways not to become her."

"That sounds like an absolutely awful Valentine's Day."

"They've all been pretty awful for the past few years. The last good one I had was in high school with--"

"Hey." I glanced behind me to see Dan and I looked back at Serena.

"Oh! You were about to say 'with him'." I stated and Serena didn't really say anything.

"I have to go." Serena stated, walking away and I looked over at Dan.

"I heard you were back, and I suspected you might not have any big plans tonight, so I thought I would, uh, drop off some movies." Dan handed me a black binder of DVDs. "I could come back and watch them with you."

"That is sweet, but I actually already have plans to go back on the radar, which you should, too. You should go out with someone. Have fun."

Dan chuckled. "If only it were that easy. I don't think I've had a real date on Valentine's Day since, uh, since high school with well, Serena." Oh, I see a problem. "I've gotta go meet Alessandra at Fig & Olive to discuss my next opus, so have a nice night."

"You, too, Dan." I waited for him to leave. Two people with the same problem and a problem that I can fix. "Rose!" I called out and she walked over to me. "I am suddenly feeling inspired."

"And what that mean exactly?" She looked slightly worried.

"It means that I will do everything in my power to get Dan and Serena back together." I stated and for the first time in a long time, I actually feel excited. This is exactly what I need.

I may have made a couple of calls but I got Dan and Serena to sit together. Next was the waiter to offer them free glasses of Dom. Then the free desserts. And the appearance of an old in love couple right in eyesight. I'm a genius. "Step one is accomplished." I smiled.

"The thaw has begun. Like beautiful spring." Rose agreed and I nodded.

"Now on to step two." I got up with Rose leaving the restaurant. I swear I could make a job out of this. Before they know it, Dan and Serena will be head over heels all over again.

Rose and I went back to my bedroom to find myself a dress for tonight. I swear red in any dress is always my color. "It's too bad it's not Valentine's Day more than once a year. I could really make a serious go at this whole Cupid thing." I stated, laying one of my dresses down on my bed.

"Yes, Operation: Darena going very smooth." Rose stated and I nodded with an actual smile on my face. I may not know what I want, but it feels good to help the people I love.

"Now that they're actually talking again, we just need to figure out a way to get them both to Nate's party tonight. Once they see each other in their old uniforms, how could all those old feelings not come flooding back?"

"It's true. You never forget first love. I remember mine. Kazimierz. Once, he took me out into sugar beet field-" My phone started ringing.

"Thank God." I stated, picking up the phone to see a party change. "Nate's party has been moved to the Empire." I felt my body tense up. What if Chuck wants answers from me? I don't have any answers. I'm not ready to see him. But I just have to get Serena there.

~~~

My hair and makeup were done for the party, but I was wrapped in my robe laying my red dress on the bed. I looked over to see Serena walk into my bedroom. "Hey! How was your lunch with the vestal virgin? Helpful and informative or ghost of V-Day future?" I asked and Serena crossed her arms.

"You can stop. I know that you canceled my interview and set me up with Dan."

Crap. I sighed. "It was an act of goodwill. Just because I can't have love in my own life doesn't mean I shouldn't bring it to the people who I care about most."

"But Dan doesn't have feelings for me, and--and there's nothing that will change that, not some champagne or dazzling dessert."

"Not even two fake old people in love?"

Serena looked at me shocked. "They weren't real?"

"Actor's equity. But you're wrong. Do you know what Dan said to me this morning? Same thing you did. His last good Valentine's Day was in high school with you. I'm telling you, there's still a glimmer of hope there."

"That's never gonna happen, but thank you for trying."

Serena turned to walk away. "Wait, wait, wait." She stopped, looking back at me. "Why don't you come with me to my dad's company party.?"

Serena lightly shook her head. "Thank you, but I think I'll just stay home, eat lots of gelato, and write about how true love is nothing but a myth." Serena walked out of the room and I sighed.

It wasn't long before Dan showed up, I'm sure to give me a piece of his mind too. "I know. You're mad at me for trying to set you up with Serena." I stated, taking one last look in the mirror.

"Actually, not really." Dan said and I quickly looked over at him. "We kinda had a nice time today, which got me to thinking that there may be hope for us yet."

"I knew it!" I cheered. "I knew there was still something between you. Now go ask her to Nate's party. Guitar Hero in one suite, a Sushi bar in the other. Ah, a girl gets beaned with a Nairtini or someone uses a secret key to sneak into the pool. It's just like old times."

"That sounds romantic, but I was thinking it might be better to explore whatever future we might have without the--the pressure of a real date, you know?"

I looked at him confused. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you did such a good job playing Cupid at lunch that I thought you could do it again, so why don't you come with us?"

"I would love to help, but I've got a party to attend for my father. I can't miss it. Plus, it's at Chuck's. I'm kind of avoid him right now."

"Nate said he's probably not even gonna be there tonight. Plus, without you, there is no way that Serena is going to go."

He does have a point. I sighed. "Fine. I'll make a swing by quickly on the way to the cardiac ball, but just to drop her and go, okay?"

Dan nodded. "Thanks." Dan walked out of the room. I can do this. I will have them back together. It's going to be perfect.

~~~

I put Serena in one of her old uniforms and dragged her to the empire. When we walked in everyone stared at her. "Okay, so please tell me again why we're here, why I'm dressed like this, and why you're not?" Serena asked.

"You told me your last good Valentine's Day was in high school, and since taking you to an actual Constance/St. Jude party felt wrong on too many levels, I'm taking you to the next best thing-- a simulation." I walked her towards the elevator.

"Yeah, but I feel strange, and people are looking at me."

"Trust me. I have a big surprise for you tonight." We stepped onto the elevator and headed up to the top floor. "But I can't stay too long. I have another party to head to." The doors opened and I saw Chuck standing there. I felt my entire body tense up. "Chuck, what are you doing here?"

"Just leaving." We stepped off the elevator and Chuck got on. "Enjoy your evening, ladies."

The doors shut and I could feel Serena staring at me. I looked over at her. "We're friends now. We've put it all behind us." I stated and she just nodded. "I'll be right back." I quickly walked away.

I found Dan, grabbed him, and moved him against a wall where no one could see us. "What are you doing?" Dan asked.

"Hold still. Serena really digs that outsider thing. So I'm helping." I started unbuttoning his shirt and taking off his tie. "B.T.W., this tie didn't work for you in high school, and it doesn't work now. So here's what I'm thinking. Take Serena somewhere quiet, like--I don't know-- Nate's room or something."

"Wait a second. I really don't think I can go through with this." Dan said and I chuckled.

"You're really nervous, which is cute. It is like high school all over again. Listen, you have nothing to worry about, Dan. Serena already likes you. You know that. Look, I'm telling you, just be your charming, wonderful self like you've been with me all year."

"You think I've been wonderful?"

"Are you kidding me? Look at everything we've been through together. You kept it a secret when I found out I was pregnant. You shielded me from the world so I could deal with my paternity test, and you brought me to a priest in my darkest hour. Do I need to go on?"

Dan slightly shook his head. "No."

"So If you're that guy with Serena, how could she not love you? You gonna make your move or what?" Dan slightly nodded and I walked away from him. "I will be right back." I found Serena talking to Charlie. "Charlie, welcome back. Serena, can we talk?"

"Yeah, of course. Promise to call me the moment you get back from Europe, okay?" Serena asked her.

"I will. Promise." Charlie said and I pulled her away.

"So Dan is looking for you." I stated and Serena sighed.

"Lena, that's not funny."

"I'm not joking. That was my big surprise. Unlike you, he thought your lunch date went great, and he wants to explore things further." Serena actually smiled. "Now I'm leaving, so go find him and see what happens. Go!" Serena walked away and I started heading back towards the elevator.

I was leaving when I found Georgina in Nate's room talking to Dan. What the hell is he doing? "Dan. Georgina. What the hell is going on?" I asked and they both looked at me.

"Everything's fine. Georgina was just leaving, weren't you?" Dan asked.

"Yes, I was. This party is so 2007 anyway." Georgina walked out of the room and I looked back at Dan.

"I sent Serena to look for you. Am I just setting her up for disappointment?"

"Do you really want us to get back together?"

I sighed. "I just want you to be happy. Tell me what would make you happy, Dan." Dan stared at me for a minute and I could see him moving closer to me. His lips were against mine and, ignoring my better judgment, I felt myself slightly kiss him back. I quickly pulled myself together, pushing him away. I looked over to see Serena and Georgina in the doorway. "It's not what it looks like." I stated and Georgina smirked walking away. Dan left the room and Serena walked over to me. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that she's mad. "I was trying to get you two back together. I thought that's what you both wanted. It's not my fault he kissed me."

"Not your fault? What, you sound like you're still in high school."

"Says the girl in the Constance uniform." That I put her in but that's not the point. "What, you just wanna take away something that matters to me? Did you even care about Dan? Lena, how many times can we fight like this? Aren't you sick of it? They say people keep fighting about the same things until it breaks them apart. You know what? Maybe we're there." Serena stormed out of the room. I think it's time for me to leave.

I made my way to the car I had waiting for me when I heard Dan call my name. "Lena, wait a second. Just give me one more minute, okay?" Dan asked and I just crossed my arms. "You can't be mad at me."

"I can't? Because I'm pretty sure that I am."

"That kiss-- it wasn't like last year. You--you kissed me back. I felt it."

"It doesn't matter what you think you felt, because Serena's my best friend, and I would never do anything to hurt her." I sighed. "I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. Have a happy Valentine's Day." I got into the car, sitting back in my seat as it drove away.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

14.2K 361 23
Lena has finally got everything that she has ever wanted. She has a boyfriend that she loves, the start of her real job, and everything seems to fall...
60.2K 1.2K 20
Lena Owen has lived on the upper east side her entire life. She tried to stay out of the drama, but with best friends like Blair Waldorf and Chuck Ba...
5.6K 212 55
Things get complicated fast. We all take a pause for a reason. Mine was to at least try to return to the same girl that my boyfriend fell in love wit...
307K 7.5K 63
Leaving her past behind in Long Beach, Riley Hayward trades in sandals for boots when she moves to Manhattan with her sister. Hoping to leave the bad...