Lizzie of the North (Yrsoreth...

By E_Manawari

Stories of how to survive as an evil duke's daughter are nothing new. But then fate just had to, really had t... More

Welcome to the North
SEASON 1◦✿◦Prologue
1 ◦❀◦ Lizzie From The Slums
2 ◦✿◦ The Two Devils
3 ◦❀◦ The Bread Thief
4 ◦✿◦ Dead Garden of Red and Blue
5 ◦❀◦ The Meddling Gardener
6 ◦✿◦ Signed, Felizzia
7 ◦❀◦ Golden Cage
8 ◦✿◦ Song of the Slums
9 ◦❀◦ Meow and Cherry Lies
10 ◦✿◦ Petunia Has Come
11 ◦❀◦ Petunia Has Left
12 ◦✿◦ Journey to Second Frontier
13 ◦❀◦ Torture at Lunch
14 ◦✿◦ Torture Continued
15 ◦❀◦ The Bracelet Envy
16 ◦✿◦ Second Tragedy in an Ugly Dress
17 ◦❀◦ Animal Cries
18 ◦✿◦ Subtle Defiance
19 ◦❀◦ Men Are Wolves
20 ◦✿◦ The Hunter At Port
21 ◦❀◦ The Moon and the Sun
23 ◦❀◦ Screamers & One Lilia
24. ◦✿◦ Twelve Offers of Misfortune
25 ◦❀◦ Honey and "Honey"
26 ◦✿◦ Chaos in the Morning
27 ◦❀◦ Nordis Agenda
28 ◦✿◦ Gyllis Vaddenver
29 ◦❀◦ Crepes and Chaos
30 ◦✿◦ Lizzie in Orange
END 31 ◦❀◦ The Northern Wildfire
◦✿◦ Season 2 Prologue
32 ◦❀◦ Princess Lizzie
33 ◦✿◦ The Three Royal Idiots
34 ◦❀◦ Princess on a Cringefest
35 ◦✿◦ A Song for Silver
36 ◦❀◦ Man of Mystery
37 ◦✿◦ The King Abduction
38 ◦❀◦ Royals on Flea
39 ◦✿◦ Fun of Four
40 ◦❀◦ A Jar of Decision
41 ◦✿◦ Peas, Berries and Eyerolls
42 ◦❀◦Hut Stories
43 ◦✿◦ Welcome, Lizzie.
44 ◦❀◦Imperial Inn
45 ◦✿◦ The Imperial Family
46◦❀◦Not Friend Drama
47◦✿◦The Imperial Scandal
48◦❀◦Elopement: Day One
49 ◦✿◦ Medakaz Miracle Madness
50◦❀◦The Fealty of Clementine Ursova
51 ◦✿◦Some People Are Artists, Some People Are Just Pretty
52◦❀◦Secrets of the Portrait Hall
53◦✿◦In Sickness and In Sickness
54◦❀◦Yacuro Gold Gamble
55◦✿◦Arrows and Potions
56◦❀◦Two at Sunset
57◦✿◦Weddings, Questions and Swords
58◦❀◦The Aftermath
59◦✿◦The Sermon
60◦❀◦The Paper Storm
61◦✿◦Not Really Yours, Lizzie
62◦❀◦ The What Trilogy
63◦✿◦END
◦❀◦The Next Chapter◦❀◦

22 ◦✿◦ How to be a Lady

765 68 63
By E_Manawari

This is kinda looong. Please comment/quote what you think. It's greatly appreciated 😭

And thank you for the 5k reads 🥰

Ellena Odde ♥

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

Ana and Alec resided in the guest's villa behind the mansion. Aside from the servant Calenta, there was also a fourth person Lizzie had seen a few times. He was a scholarly man, who couldn't even look Devanti in the eye, but had smart replies all the time. He was named Fedimon.

The duke has always been careful of people, and yet, these strangers were accepted with less scrutiny. When she asked him how he hired the instructor, he just replied "Exchange gift," and nothing else.

Etiquette lessons were held in the study every afternoon, while her academics were done in the morning. After Erdan and Garth's departure, she inherited Sir Cavat Li'Gian as her tutor.

"But, why are you here?" Lizzie asked, pointing to Alec, who arrived earlier and claimed her favorite couch.

"We'll be studying together from now on." The boy didn't even spare her a glance, eyes on the book about continents and central religions.

Lizzie was certain that the duke was not a kind man to extend favors out of his heart. But to take Alec's word as a lie was not plausible with the tutor, Cavat Li'Gian, acting like he knew he got two students.

Well, it's not like her mind couldn't function with an unwelcomed classmate.

Days, weeks, and a month passed. Lizzie somehow becomes civilized with the black furball in class, who to her surprise, was adept at languages and commerce.

Sir Cavat, was beyond delighted in the daily chaos of his students debating topics that children shouldn't even be talking about.

It has also come to her attention that the Norvillons are recruiting students for new knights. It was a short glance from afar, but Lizzie saw a familiar face among the determined, yet terrified recruits.

The girl, who had her curly hair in braids, was now tied to a bun, exposing the excitement on her rosy face. The frilly pink dress was replaced with a white shirt and padded jerkin in the color of tree bark.

¹*

(padded jerkin)

Graciebelle, Lizzie remembered the name, one of the girls she met at the hunt. Although there are some female knights in the North, most of them are commoners. The girl Graciebelle, was a noble.

"Oh, Viscountess Terrania's daughter," Devanti told her when she asked one evening.

Terrania. The name was also familiar. Isn't she the commander of the archers?

"No," Devanti said before Lizzie could ask for archery lessons.

With a heavy heart, she resumed her dinner.

The reconstruction of the garden has also taken half of its design, and even Lizzie was proud to have planted a small flower bed of  Morning Screamers, a purple flower with its mouth open by daylight and closes at night.

She liked it for novelty. And now, a portion of the garden was dedicated to it.

²*

(Morning Screamer)

She had already received and replied twice to her brothers' letters. Erdan sent books and long neat letters with detailed activities, and also five mathematical equations of demand and supply.

This brat. For a year old, she felt like she was about to die from stress. Even in distant lands, Erdan found a way to torture her.

When she asked Sir Cavat for help, the teacher was all too happy to explain the more complicated concept for her to solve the problem. And thus, another rumor about the youngest Norvillon as a genius has been added to her reputation, even without her knowledge.

Lizzie didn't consider herself to be one. However, people around seemed to easily accept the fact that she was already learning the concept of the territorial state of affairs compared to imperial rulings.

A Norvillon.

It was the reason. Aside from being natural predators, the ducal house was a nest of descendants beyond human limitations.

But the fact that Alec snorted at her answer on the third problem and smugly watched her struggle, it had seemed that the citizens of the Levich empire are also special. Yet, no gossip or rumor about him or Ana spread outside the castle. It was as if all servants had their tongues tucked as ordered by the duke.

In contrast to Erdan, Garth's letters were short and entirely 'I miss you Silver!' and 'Who's Alec? Stay away from him.' Lizzie even ignored the little stain of dried blood in the paper.

Nah, it's too early for him killing everyone, she thought. But she knew she was just fooling herself.

As for the duke, Lizzie shared dinners with him when he returns from outside the castle earlier or when he's not occupied. Despite all the work he had to do, especially with the Levich empire's trade route opening and the sharp rise of abduction cases, the duke never missed a dinner.

She would talk about her day and ask him only to earn short answers. "You talk too much. Isn't food etiquette also part of your lesson?"

So Lizzie would be quiet and diligently eat her food. But then the Duke would say "Why are you quiet?"

This scenario occurred every dinner and she'd call him an 'indecisive idiot' in her head.

Her classes with Ana also progressed smoothly. Unlike Rosalia Davitt who taught her the 'dos' and more on 'don'ts' of high society, Ana's main point is 'What will you do?'

"One may be the best in embroidery or the most skilled in a curtsy, but those skills won't matter if they look down on you. You must look down on them first, elegantly of course. The etiquette skills you learn were just secondary tools." It was what Anna told her on their first day when she asked Lizzie to show her best 'Obey me' face.

"But teacher, people won't like it if Lizzie is loud and rude."

"It's not that you are being rude to others, but not letting others be rude to you. Our etiquette lessons aren't the same with other noble ladies, it is based on your rank."

Ah. The realization hit her. The Ducal House of Norvillon is famous for other things, except etiquette. Ana is teaching her not to be a noble lady, but as the only lady of the Norvillons.

Is it necessary? It's not like the nobles can openly be rude to her. Except for one man with the highest status in the empire, the Great Sky of Gran Dacchia, Alexander. "But the emperor... What if I made a mistake when I meet him someday?"

Ana examined her from across the table. "...Do you want to meet him?"

"Yes!" Lizzie beamed. "Lizzie wants to talk to him!" And ask him what went on his crazy head to rebel earlier and instead of a kingdom, he built an empire instead.

She even overheard the maids Blinne and Orna talking about the gossip that the emperor might conquer other empires this time.

What's wrong with you?! That is what she wanted to ask him.

"I see..." Ana spoke softly, yet she gazed at her tea with a faraway look. Then the lesson proceeded.

There were similar times that the tutor has a melancholic look on her face, then return to reality with a more resolved expression.

Lizzie's doubts about Ana's intention have been erased naturally. The woman taught her well, she was also affectionate yet, she does not mingle much. She would keep to herself in the villa. Alec was the opposite. He would quietly sit in the corner and read a book during Lizzie's etiquette lessons.

She wanted to knock him out, but she could not tell her graceful tutor that her son was annoying. So Lizzie ignored the time she caught him smirking during her mistakes. For a boy only a few years older than her, Alec had a talent for getting on her nerves.

But no evil deed could go unpunished. And so, on the fourth week, after she learned the basic steps of waltz, it was time to test it out with a partner. 

And Lizzie deliberately declined Ana's guidance as to the male counterpart and pointed Alec, who was unusually too interested in his book than usual.

"With him."

Alec flinched, his face still covered in his bound pages like it was a shield.

"Please?"

Ana heaved a sigh of amusement and called her son twice. Hesitantly, he put down the book.

"But mother, we don't match," he complained. "She's too small."

Lizzie almost gasped at his audacity. The pot is calling the kettle black. She's small, but he was only an inch taller. You have no right.

They had assumed position, her hand on his shoulder while the other intertwined with his. His other hand was clumsy on the arch of her waist.

With Ana's signal, the violist played and they danced.

She admitted that she was not aptly good at dancing to falter twice. But Alec was just plain terrible.

Gods help him, she thought, swallowing a giggle.

She didn't even need to step on him on purpose. It takes a special talent to step one's own foot all the time, and Lizzie felt bad for forcing him into something soul-shattering.

Lizzie herself could also find fault in her own. The waltz was just taught in the simplest and basic form. She who may be academically inclined was doubtful of her skills.

But based on the limited days per lesson trend the tutor has done, waltz would not be deeply discussed. The topic discussions were short and were more of a crash course. It was as if time was chasing after Ana.

The clapping for counts ceased as a signal that the dance practice was done. Alec quickly let her go and reclaimed his spot at the corner with his book.

Hey, why are your ears red? Are you shy?

Ana praised her adaptability despite her partner's lack of rhythm. She then asked for further questions. Lizzie shook her head, excited to tease Alec, once they were both out of anyone's ears.

"I hope my lessons somehow taught you well, my lady."

They were more than helpful. Ana instilled in her the confidence of being a Norvillon. "You're the best, teacher!"

The woman pat her head, but Lizzie circled her shorthands to embrace her, burying her face on the woman's cotton gown with the usual monochrome but this time, black.

Ana was scentless, as if not to gain attention to herself.

But the simple woman was simply enigmatic.

Lizzie believed she was blessed with great teachers. Sir Cavat always encouraged the exchange of ideas. Ana taught her beyond being a proper lady, even how to be an improper one too.

"Don't please them," she told her once. "An upright woman is more than a straight, rigid back." Then Ana broke it down in simpler words a young girl could understand.

Lizzie smiled, only for her stretched lips to freeze, when she caught Alec staring at them.

Oh well, I'm in a good mood. So, have a smile too. She beamed at Alec, who for some reason just blinked at her, then looked away.

"Teacher, Lizzie will study better from now on."

Ana cupped her face, melancholy painting her olive skin. "You have her hair and her wits. Most of all, your smile is as precious as hers. Kirien would be proud."

Eh?

Lizzie blinked at the name. Kirien Gran Dacchia Norvillon, the princess, second duchess, and her mother.

She could not ask questions to Ana. The tutor already curtsied for farewell and for some reason was in a hurry.

"Until our next meeting, my lady."

A day later, regret overtook Lizzie. She should have asked, for they will remain unanswered.

It was the last time she had seen the tutor.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

I'm active here:

ig: @odd_ellena (mostly ig stories)
twt: @Ellena_Odde

credits:
1*
medieval-fightclub.com.au

2*

Original image from Pxleyes.com
and I drew over it with Medibang.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

776K 42.2K 99
Everyone knows the tragedy of the novel 'Lovely Princess'. (Y/n), an average girl from modern world is suddenly murdered by a mysterious woman in bla...
14.3K 378 37
I'm trapped in the world of my favorite novel. Elizabeth has never had the best life but now that doesn't matter. Now she is living as Claudette, a c...
71.4K 2.8K 21
──★ ˙🍓𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐔𝐃𝐄 𝐃𝐄 𝐀𝐋𝐆𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐀 𝐗 𝐅𝐄𝐌! 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐂𝐔𝐁𝐈𝐍𝐄! 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐗 𝐕𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐎𝐔𝐒(?) ̟ !! ❝Did the idea of being a pa...
1.7K 77 13
This is the tale of the first human to be returned to Palia (in the game's timeframe). After being brought to Palia, Wren (the MC) remembers certain...