Mind of Mine || ʙᴀᴋᴜɢᴏ x ʀᴇᴀᴅ...

By sugarwastedbk

She had always hidden behind a mask. Y/n had not seen the sun in years, hidden away in the Shie Hassaikai hea... More

breakdown
prologue
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 6
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
info
chapter 13
chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
chapter 17
chapter 18
chapter 19
chapter 20
chapter 21
chapter 22
chapter 23
chapter 24
chapter 25
chapter 26
chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
chapter 32
chapter 33
chapter 34
Chapter 35
chapter 36
chapter 37
chapter 38
chapter 39
chapter 40
chapter 41
chapter 42
chapter 43
chapter 44
chapter 45
chapter 46
chapter 47
chapter 48
chapter 49
chapter 50
chapter 51
chapter 52
chapter 53
chapter 54
chapter 55
chapter 56
chapter 57
chapter 58
chapter 59
chapter 60
chapter 61
chapter 62
chapter 63
chapter 64
chapter 65
chapter 66
chapter 67
chapter 68
chapter 69
chapter 70
chapter 71
chapter 72
chapter 73

chapter 31

10.4K 267 153
By sugarwastedbk

Carrying a duffle bag and another case with your hero suit in it, you were ready to get on the road. Standing in the common room with everybody else, you can hear Iida trying to organize the chaos while also shouting various things off of a check-off list, making sure that nobody was forgetting anything. Nobody was going to return to the dorm buildings in a week due to the internships.

There were various people traveling together, such as Asui, Uraraka and Tokoyami, or Bakugo, Midoriya and Todoroki. You on the other hand, were traveling alone to Fukuoka where Hawk's agency was located.

As everybody climbed into the bus offered by U.A, the energy was buzzing with excitement, people began to chat with each other about their internships and what they hoped to learn.

The seat next to you was taken by a particular loud boy, who was surprisingly quiet during the bus ride.

"What's wrong?"

He glanced away from the window, only to shrug and look back. Confused you try again, poking his shoulder as his knee brushes against yours. "Okay seriously, what's wrong with you? Aren't you excited about this?"

He shrugged once again, causing you to frown. This was unlike him... everything had been well the last few days. So why was he upset?

"Do you want to talk about it? If not, I'll just drop it here and let you pout in peace."

Your only answer was the small shake of his head. Sighing, you turn back around to face the front and let your head drop back on the seat, slowly blinking up at the ceiling of the bus.

The rest of the bus ride was in silence, occasionally tuning in to the conversations floating around.

After arriving at the train station, grabbing your boarding pass and your bags, you were ready to leave. Aizawa had made sure to go over the directions with you, a bit of fatherly worry since this was your first time traveling alone ever. He didn't want to return to U.A and hear that you never arrived at the agency. To add to that, even Bakugo made you a specialized list of directions, going as far as sharing your location with him.

Seriously, those two had little faith in you traveling.

But the trip alone was exciting, a cloud of independence floated over you as you took another glance down at the map Bakugo specifically gave you. Endeavor's agency was marked, going as far as adding U.A. and Sir Nighteye's.

Little by little, the group began to wither down in numbers. When the announcer estimated five minutes until your train arrived, Bakugo finally reached out to you. There was still an aura of silence around him, his mouth set in a firm line while he watched the people board the train.

There was something in his eyes, something he wanted to tell you but refused to. It worried you- he was never one to withhold information. But you trusted him, whatever he wasn't telling you had a good reason and he'd reach out when he was ready.

"Text me when you arrive idiot and don't slack off, I don't want you coming back and getting your ass handed to you," amusement overshadowed the hesitancy in his eyes, and you went along with it as you elbowed his side.

"Don't worry explodo man. Update me about your internship yeah? Please be safe," the chime from the speakers announced the arrival of your train. Leaning up, you cupped his face as you kissed him softly before stepping away. "I'll see you in a week blondie."

Bakugo watched you enter the train and wave one last time to him, a bright smile on your features. Sighing loudly in annoyance, the bitter regret burned his chest because he knew he blew the opportunity.

Two sets of footsteps stopped next to him, "Did you tell her?"

Scowling at the icy boy, Bakugo huffed and clutched his hero case handle tighter. "No, not yet Peppermint. If I told her, she'd spend the rest of her internship dreading the dinner with your family."

"But won't she be upset later on when we corner her into having dinner?" Midoriya asked worriedly as he tugged his fingers anxiously.

"We? Where is the fucking 'we' Deku?" The sharp glare he sent the boy was enough to make him coil back as Todoroki stepped forward protectively. "I told you and Icyhot that it was a shitty idea. You think she wants to sit and pretend family with the man who abused her brother?"

The words were hissed angrily as his eyes switched between them both, "There is no 'we.' She will be furious with you both because I understand her reasons and won't pushed her to do this. I'm not the one cornering her, so get it right."

Placing a hand in the pockets of his uniform, Bakugo moved forward to put down distance between them both, too angry to continue the conversation. Earlier in the day, before heading down to the common room, Todoroki and Deku had stopped by his room talking about wanting some closure for his family. Bakugo couldn't give a shit really when Todoroki said they'd be having dinner with his family again, but what did bother him was how Todoroki wanted you to come along.

It had turned into a heated debate between them two as Deku watched the scene unfold in the background anxiously.

In the end, there was no agreement but the two boys 'assumed' he would break the news to you, which he didn't because he stilled believed it was bullshit.

A hand touched his shoulder which he angrily shrugged off, "Don't touch me Deku."

"Kacchan..." The boy began softly, causing him to scoff angrily and glare at Deku.

"Don't you 'Kacchan' me dickhead." Todoroki joined in on the conversation, silently watching Bakugo glare at him. "If you want her to go, then tell her yourself because I'm not your fucking messenger. I'm not going to make her go through this."

"He is my brother and my family needs this Bakugo."

"What about what Y/n fucking needs? Did you ever think about her?" He questions back hotly, his fists clenched as his jaw flexed in anger. "Neither of you understand. Touya passed away recently, she's still grieving and now you want her to talk to the people that in her mind, abandoned her brother? Do you know how sick that is?"

"We didn't abandon him," Todoroki replied coldly, his own way of expressing anger.

But Bakugo still didn't care. "To Y/n you did. To Touya you did." He reaches up to tug at his hair, recalling all the information you shared with him about your brother. "Do you know how hard it is to watch her shut down? Sometimes she doesn't feel like leaving bed because she can't escape her own fucking mind. Can't escape the nightmares that haunt her and the pain that follows. Seeing your shitty dad brought up all the resentment and guilt from her brother's death. She blames herself. And now you want her to talk to strangers about him? Yeah, fuck off with that bullshit."

Now it seemed like his words were reaching them as Midoriya guiltily looked between Todoroki and Bakugo, conflicted on what side to be on.

The plan was already set in motion. Todoroki causally brought up dinner to his sister, who then brought it up to Endeavor and after adding in inviting Hawks and their intern, the dinner was scheduled. There was no way you could avoid the dinner if Hawks demanded you to attend, which he slightly would since it concerned dinner with the former Number One Hero.

As their train was about to arrive, Bakugo spoke lowly for their ears only. "When dinner becomes a shit show and you end up hurting her, don't come crying to me when she cuts you off indefinitely. Mark my words Candy Cane headass, you will regret hurting her."

...

The music you had playing paused as you stood in front of the towering building. There wasn't anything that stood out immediately, no big sign that broadcasted whose agency this was or a picture plastered of the hero. The glass windows that covered the building head to toe glistened as the sun shined hotly above, the color reflecting in your eyes. There were people coming in and out of the double doors, none of them giving you a second glance as you stood in the center of the sidewalk.

Squaring your shoulders and gripping your bags tightly, you stepped foot into the lobby, immediately heading for the main desk that was in the center where a small woman with bright blue feathers intertwined through her hair was rapidly talking on the phone.

Tapping the little bell on the desk, the sound caught her attention as her feathers ruffled slightly. Her eyes widened upon seeing you before abruptly hanging up the phone.

"Hi! You must be the new intern Kinesis right? Welcome to Hawk's Agency!" The woman energetically says, her small feathers buzzing which must be in tuned with her feelings.

Interesting.

Nodding, you swing slightly on your feet, "Yes that's me. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"I'm one of Hawk's sidekicks, Humming! My quirk essentially allows me to do anything a hummingbird does!" She noticed the bags you were carrying, "Here, let me escort you to your room. Hawks should arrive in about an hour, so why don't you get settled in, grab something to eat if you're hungry and get dressed in your hero costume."

Silently, you walk behind her, feeling like a giant compared to her short height. The other employees or sidekicks in the lobby stop to take a glance at you before looking away and busily focusing on their tasks.

The elevator in the building shows that there are 45 floors and Humming pressed the 40th floor. "This is the floor for any internships or work study kids we have here, it's a bit empty right now. Usually Hawks never takes on anybody personally except for Tokoyami and now you! It's so exciting! I saw you at the Sports Festival- congrats on the win by the way, girl power!- and I'm not surprised Hawks invited you."

The woman continues to ramble on, jumping from topic to topic as you stop in front of a red door, the number 4008 plastered on it.

"Here you go, this is your room key so don't lose it. The cafeteria is on the 10th floor, the training room is on the 25th floor. We have a special floor for aerial combat if you want to check it out, that would be the 27th floor. It was nice meeting you!"

And just like that she was gone before you could utter another word.

"Well bye then." Unlocking the door, you were greeted by cold air, instantly easing the tension on your shoulders as it cooled your body. Dropping your bags on the queen sized bed, you sit on the cool sheets and bring out your phone. She mentioned having an hour before Hawks arrived and you wondered if he was going to look for you or if you had to search for him.

Shrugging, you began to get dressed in your hero costume, deciding that grabbing a bite and checking the agency building out would be beneficial.

The cafeteria was a bit calmer than the lobby, with circular tables set up in the center and an assortment of food trays being brought out constantly to the side. Grabbing a tray and filling it with something you recognized, you took a seat on a table by yourself and snapped a quick picture before sending it to Bakugo.

What you were looking forward to was the aerial combat center that Humming had brought up, curious to see what the Number Two Hero provided for his sidekicks to use.

Arriving at the 27th floor, you didn't have high expectations, choosing to have no opinion in case this 'special training' floor was disappointing.

Except that it wasn't.

The room had a high ceiling, in fact you were sure that this room stretched up for a couple of floors. It took advantage of the space vertically as people maneuvered through the air, each being aware of the others so no collisions would occur.

"You must be new here."

Turning around, you was greeted by a man, probably early 20's as his gazed up at the view before down at you. He seemed to be a bit translucent as his bones glowed under his skin, casting a cool look on him.

"I'm interning here. Hero Kinesis from U.A, a second year."

Letting out a small 'ahh' at your introduction, he nodded in understanding. "Winner of the Sports Festival right?" What was up with everybody mentioning that really? Still, you only nodded, prompting him to continue. "Want to try out the training course? It starts from the bottom, you have to ring the small bell at the very top, and make your way down."

"Do I have to physically ring the bell to win?"

The man halted as he pondered over the question, "I honestly don't know but I assume yes." Curiously, you watched somebody attempt the course as spikes and fire erupted from the side, followed by animatronic dummies too. It required you to fight through the obstacles, make it to the top, but also fight on your way down.

It seemed like fun.

"I haven't introduced myself yet, my name is Shrillex, a sidekick here. My quirk allows me to produce skeletal wings."

"Cool, my quirk is psionic, allows me to manipulate energy and use it in a telekinetic way."

"I noticed, your final battle was epic!"

"Thank you," smiling at him, you glanced up at the timer from the recent runner and wondered what score you would get. "Do you mind if I try before Hawks arrives? Oh and could you record it?" You handed him your phone, wanting to show it to Eri when you returned home and also rub it in Bakugo's face.

"Of course! Let me reset it." Skrillex approached the side where a panel was set up as his fingers tapped the screen quickly. And then he announced it to the entire room which made you shrink back in embarrassment. "Clear the area, we have a first time runner!" Cheers erupted as people descended to where you were standing, giving you curious looks. "This is our newest kid, second year intern from U.A, everybody give it up for Kinesis!"

Smiling awkwardly, you waved at them before stepping up the starting platform. It rose you up everybody else as the course on top shifted and excitement began to course through your body.

"AND GO!"

The cheers from below became white noise, your eyes focused on the walls wondering what attack would appear. The power from your quirk erupted from your body giving you a purple tint.

Launching up through the air, the first obstacle was an oncoming wave of heat, easily deflected by a barrier you set up. There seemed to be no challenge here. You dodged past the spikes coming from the left, picking up speed as attacks were deflected by the time you reached the zone. The only thing that seemed to require some type of work were the dummies hovering above, weapon at hand to stop you from reaching the bell.

Shifting back and soaring through the hair feet first, you made contact with the weapon in the hand of a dummy. Taking the sword that was falling, you swing mid air, twisting your body at an angle to slice through the stomach of the remaining two dummies.

As the pieces began to fall to the floor, you made sure to catch them before they injured anybody. The bell was golden and small, delicate as you softly tugged the rope attached to it, the ringing clear as cheers erupted from below.

Without wasting time, you began to free fall as you deactivated your quirk around you, shifting alone in the air without any power to protect you.

The small laughter of glee that escaped you reached those below as they laughed with you, amazed at how easily you ran through the course. They watched you expertly twist your body, not caring that you were falling fast. It wasn't until the last possible second, where you were about to plaster on to the floor, when your quirk wrapped around you once again, allowing you to hover and lightly step on the raised stool.

The timer on top flashed, an indication that a new record was set.

"New record set by Kinesis! Did you see her!?"

Hands clapped you on the back, congratulations following along as people began to clamor around you, throwing out comments about your moves and how U.A was full of powerful people.

Grabbing your phone back from Shrillex, you thanked him and went along when he suggested a group picture with everybody present.

It was only then that you noticed the hero in the room who was leaning by the back, the light catching his yellow visor, his red feathers gleaming.

"Hawks."

Your comment made everybody straighten up immediately at noticing their boss. The picture was taken and everybody returned to what they were doing as Hawks approached you, a kind smile on his face. "Aizawa Y/n, it's a pleasure to meet you kid."

"Thank you for offering me this opportunity, it's an honor to be under your wing." There was humor swimming in his eyes. The Hero Commission had warned him about you- a kid with an attitude who didn't have a clue about the real world, somebody the commission wanted under their thumb, another trick up their sleeve.

And yet as you looked into his eyes, he noticed just how wrong the commission was. You weren't a naive kid that flexed a power they were born with. No, you were aware of the cruelty that hid in the shadows of society, and you knew who the enemy was- that is what made you dangerous.

You were not a fool.

"Don't sweat it, you were impressive during your battles." He begins to walk out the room, prompting you to follow him. "Now, why don't we go fly around and get to know each other. See what I'm working with and what you wish to gain from this week."

The impressed look on your face didn't go unnoticed by him.

Maybe this week won't be a waste of time as the elevator took you to the highest floor. There was a door at the end of the corridor that led up to the roof. Before he could fly off, he handed you some glasses, similar to the visor he wore. "At the speed we're going to go, it's important that nothing gets into your eyes. There's also a communication piece attached."

Nodding, you grab the equipment and place it on, choosing to leave your mask around the neck.

As Hawks answered an incoming call on the roof, you were quick to send the video from the training course to the class, the caption being 'Guess who broke the record in Hawk's Agency within an hour of arriving :)' and laughed softly when the responses were immediate.

"Ready to go kid?"

Sliding the phone into the hidden pocket of your suit, you nodded at him. "Always ready."

"Follow me then, try to keep up." The challenge was clear in his eyes as you responded with a sharp grin.

"Won't be a problem."

The city was bustling with life, cars weaving through the lanes of the street, crowds of people moving in unison to cross, the laughter of kids reaching the skies as you soared above.

Hawks was fast, probably the fastest hero currently. But it wasn't difficult to reach his level. You didn't have the wings that he did, but that didn't stop you. It was all mental, if you told your quirk to move your body fast, then it would do exactly that. As long as your mind was quicker than Hawk's, there was no competition.

The hero looked over his shoulder, a smile bright on his face upon noticing you right at his heel, in fact keeping up like you promised. "Not bad."

"What are we going to do?"

Following him to another towering building, he landed at the top with you landing next to him in a heartbeat. "From what I've seen and heard from your mentors, you're an exceptional fighter. Both with and without quirk. So you don't need any help there. But what we can do is hone your skills as a hero. We need you to sense the danger before it happens, move without thinking, and save everybody without hesitation. Tonight, we will follow my usual patrol so that you get a glimpse at the hero life."

Not bad, you thought as Hawks looked down at the busy streets, his sharp eyes moving quickly over the region, searching for danger.

Maybe Bakugo knew what you needed before you did.

Every technique possible was already engraved into your mind, years of combat branded into your body. There were nothing else to learn there like Hawks admitted. You were always evolving and coming up with new ways to fight with your quirk, and he wouldn't be able to teach you anything in that case.

But there was something you missed.

Class 2-A moved with an aura of hero confidence, instincts that were being sharpened each day as they charged through heroics class. That was what you missed.

The skills of a hero.

Being able to act like a hero. Those instincts weren't engraved in you- the instincts of a killer were but that wasn't you anymore. At least you think you're not.

By learning how to be a hero, you'd be a step closer to figuring yourself out.

And that's how the rest of the evening and into the night was spent, following Hawks through the busy city life, jumping from building to building in search of any darkness. Soaring down whenever a cry of help reached his sharp ears.

By the end of the night, you were exhausted, never had interacted with people for so long. But Hawks said that communicating with civilians was key in being a hero and that civilians in general were something you must get used to. Breaking through your shy shell was something else you needed to work on.

The two of you returned to the top of Hawk's building, sitting on the ledge as he handed you a meat bun, courtesy of the nice shop owner who Hawks saved.

Watching the way the buildings lit up as the blue of the sky darkened, you felt his gaze on you and you wondered when he would finally do what he was tasked to do. "You and I aren't that different Hawks."

"Why's that kid?"

Taking a bite of the bun, the pause of silence comes between you both and then you look at him, a calm expression on your face that let him know everything.

"We're both puppets, forced to follow orders from cruel people. The difference is the somebody saved me, and I wonder when you'll let others save you."

And deep down he knows.

The connection between him and the Hero Commission, the reason he became the youngest to open a hero agency, the reason he kept ruffling his feathers anxiously since he's met you.

He knows you know. He knows you know. 

The tired sigh that escapees Hawks is your answer. "It's not that easy. The world isn't black and white."

"I know. The world is grey, an endless sea of grey until we finally meet color. But you're drowning in the grey Hawks, and one day, there won't be a way to escape." You finish the last bit of your bun before standing up, ready to return to bed. "Heroes are meant to save people, but then who saves the heroes?"

Jumping off from the ledge an onto the ground of the roof, you slowly walk to the door. "Goodnight Hawks." And you leave him to his thoughts. Thoughts about his childhood that the desperately wanted to forget. Thoughts about the people that made him fit a specific mold. Thoughts about the life that was slowly killing him.

The stars twinkles sadly upon the poor hero, wondering what they could do to help. The least they could do is offer him company as his words were whispered into the night, "Goodnight." But you were long gone.

...

The shower was everything you needed- god bless showers. Laying on the bed, you turned on the t.v for some background noise while you scrolled through your messages, laughing at the excited comments from Midoriya and Kirishima. Everybody seemed to be settling in quite fine based on the updates from the class.

Your phone lit up, Bakugo's face taking over your screen as his contact name flashed with an incoming call. Smiling, you answer the call as his face comes into view. You can see Midoriya in the background, writing furiously into that notebook of his.

"How's my favorite hero doing?" You coo, leaning back onto the pillows of the bed.

His spiky hair takes over the camera, trying to get comfortable and making sure the Deku isn't listening in on the conversation. Noticing that he was on the phone, Deku nodded and he grabbed his stuff before venturing to the room attached where Todoroki was staying, leaving Bakugo alone in the room.

"I'm fucking exhausted." He groaned as he turned to his side, half of his face covered by the pillow under his head. "Shitty old man had us training the entire day, we didn't even get to patrol."

"Poor baby," the teasing tone causes him to glare at you, your laughter filling the empty room. "I'm exhausted too which is really rare. Hawks actually had me patrol with him for hours, I managed to keep up with him which surprised him."

"That's my girl," he mumbled softly as he took in your excited smile when you spoke about shocking Hawks. "I said the video you sent to the class. Bet I can beat your record." And there it was, the challenge that you were expecting from him.

"I dare you to try sparkler, it's not as easy as it looks. I'm a professional."

Professional? Yeah right, but it didn't stop Bakugo from snorting at the faux confidence.

Grinning, you flop over onto your stomach to get a better view of him. "Are you going to tell me why you were upset earlier?"

Bakugo glanced at the door joining both rooms, the door was locked but he could hear Deku's laughter followed by voices, probably a movie. Sighing, he nodded at you, his eyes turning a bit more serious. "The last day of your internship Hawks is going to ask you to come with him to a dinner event. It's actually just dinner at the Todoroki's."

"Why?"

"Icy hot wants you to talk about Touya with them."

And there it was. The bomb was dropped. 

Bakugo watched as various emotions fluttered through your eyes- anger, pain, hesitancy, hurt, and more pain. But somewhere in there is a glow of understanding, still it's mostly overshadowed by the hurt at being cornered into speaking about something you weren't ready to talk about yet. 

"How long have you known?" He's thankful that there's no anger directed at him and so he breathes out in relief. 

"This morning. They told me before we went down to the common room. I told him it was a shit idea, that you would reach out to him when you were ready but the dinner is set. I'm sorry." 

Flipping back on your back, the angle of the camera lets him to see you look up at the ceiling, lines of exhaustion clear on your face. Swallowing back the burning anger towards Todoroki and Deku, Bakugo waits for your answer patiently, his presence through the phone comforting. 

And then you bring the phone up to your face, giving him a small, tired smile that lets him know everything. And he understands. As much as it hurts you to speak about Touya- especially in front of strangers that don't deserve to know him like you did- you still care about the youngest Todoroki and your kind spirit doesn't let you take this away from him. 

"Tell Todoroki that I'll attend willingly. But the moment Endeavor says anything remotely bad about Touya, I'm leaving and that's a promise."

"Right behind you sweetheart." 

The unwavering support from him warms your heart and you're certain there's hearts beaming out of your eyes as Bakugo scowls at you, "What's with that stupid look?" 

"I love you." 

The proclamation of love causes him to sputter as the tip of his ears tint pink. "DON'T JUST RANDOMLY SAY IT LIKE THAT SCARFACE!" His flustered outburst only makes you laugh, resulting in him pouting as the pink extends from his ears to his neck and cheeks. "WHY ARE YOU LAUGHING DUMBASS!?"

The rest of the night is spent like that, laying in bed talking to your soulmate on the phone, enjoying the sound of his voice as it lulls you to sleep. 

...

Headcanon: Nicknames are a part of Bakugo's brand but Y/n took it upon herself to give him various, her personal favorite being the one Eri gave him of 'cherry' or firecracker. Bakugo won't admit it, but he has a soft spot for them and even got flustered when she once addressed him as 'my love.'

Also enjoy this picture Kirishima took of Y/n and Bakugo during one of their game nights. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

D.E.K.U. By Kelly

Fanfiction

653K 29.8K 48
Izuku Midoriya is a small and vulnerable quirkless boy, someone that needs to be protected from bullies and all the other dangers of the world. At le...
80.1K 1.9K 21
As we all know, Katsuki Bakugou is known to have a hot temper, is cocky, and likes to destroy things. Y/N, a kind, quiet, and cheerful girl. They bot...
1.5M 45.3K 41
(Y/N) is a new student at UA high. She moved away with her dad a few years ago after her mom disappeared. While she lived here, her two friends Izuku...
30.6K 655 18
Soulmate AU Y/n lives in a world where Soulmates and Powers called quirk exists. Everyone has a soulmate including herself. In this Universe whatever...