The Green Guardian

By CroodsGirl

|2021 VERSION| |23X FEATURED · 2X SPOLIGHT STORY · SHORTLISTED FOR THE SEASONAL CONTESTS!| Mateo Brook, a you... More

Author's Note (Important Message at the End)
Character Aesthetics
A Note to Judges and Reviewers about Mateo (Also Important!)
Part 1: Euphorbia, the Forest Spirit (Evie)
Chapter 1: The Fairy and the Basilisk
Chapter 2: Unbalanced Dimension
Chapter 3: Portal to Another World
Chapter 4: Dysfunctional Drama
Chapter 5: The Pebble Masters
Chapter 6: Vitality of the Forest
Chapter 7: Ranger Anthony
Chapter 8: Emergency!
Chapter 9: A Rescue Worth Dying For
Chapter 10: Light in the Darkness
Chapter 11: The Witch Doctor
Chapter 12: Secret of the Forest
Chapter 13: The Briefing
Chapter 14: King Benjamin
Chapter 15: Ambush!
Chapter 16: Crows' Den
Chapter 17: The Green Guardian
Part 2: Thebes (Mateo)
Bonus Chapter: Expectations
Chapter 18: Night of the Second Moon
Chapter 19: One with Nature
Chapter 20: Thebes of Seranet
Chapter 21: Fight for Mateo
Chapter 22: Whispers of the Fae
Chapter 23: Family Ties
Chapter 24: Euphorbia's Successor
Chapter 25: Thebes Strikes Back
Chapter 26: Lore of the Green Guardian
Chapter 27 - Mission: Rescue Mateo!
Chapter 28: Heart of Darkness
Part 3: Training Days (Mateo and Evie)
Bonus Chapter 2: In the Beginning
Chapter 29: Three Boops on the Nose
Chapter 30: It's Not Time to Die
Chapter 31: Sacrifice
Chapter 32: Petrified
Chapter 33: Fororli
Chapter 34: Elushia Amisha
Chapter 35: The Truth About Sam
Chapter 36: The Fae Prince
Chapter 37: Tears of Hope
Chapter 38: The Mascot of the Basilisk
Chapter 39: The Return of Ben
Chapter 40: Pinta's First Ranger
Part 4: The Guardian's Tree (Mateo and Evie)
Bonus Chapter 3: Pinta Park Ranger
Chapter 41: Redemption
Chapter 42: Cold Blood
Chapter 43: The Bittersweet
Chapter 44: "Wrapped Up in Light"
Chapter 45: Euphorbia's Legacy
Chapter 46: But isn't that selfishness?
Chapter 48: Warrior Princess
Chapter 49: The Final Battle (Part 1)
Chapter 49: The Final Battle (Part 2)
Chapter 50: Love Conquers All
Epilogue: Miracle of Life
Final Author's Note
Accolades/Review (s)
Accolades Cont.
Accolades Cont. (2)
Accolades Cont. (3)
Accolades Cont. (4)
Accolades Cont. (5) (Celebrating 100 Wins!)
Accolades Cont. (6)

Chapter 47: "Tale As Old As Time"

223 11 18
By CroodsGirl

Song: "Believix" - Elisa Rosselli

        Evie had a hard time believing all the terrible things that had happened to her and her family in the past week. The Acceptance Ceremony's display helped calm her nerves. She felt like she was living a fairytale. The orange and yellow embers of the enormous bonfire next to a wooden stage mesmerized her, even more so than the umbrella-like mushrooms that hovered over them.

Evie, her friends, and her family met up with King Benjamin on the stage. They rested their arms over the smooth, dark-colored wood and smiled at him.

Like John, Ben looked as if he felt a little guilty about his actions. The cut on his cheekbone had started to heal, but a scar was forming. "I can't believe I fell for Fororli's trap," he muttered.

"Hey, even kings aren't perfect," Evie said with a small shrug. "You didn't know what you were doing, Ben." Her eyes rolled over to Embrose, who dangled his legs over the stage's edge. "Even Embrose didn't. Right, Embrose?"

Embrose gave her a blank stare. He wanted to talk, but he still could not find his words.

"Oh, I know what we need to do to get our minds off it," Evie continued. She clapped her hands together. "Let's play a game of Charades!"

Charades? What on Earth is Charades? Embrose asked himself.

Even Sam did not know what the game entailed.

Evie's friends smiled. They were all over her idea.

"Ooh, yes, yes!" said Ashlynn. "I love Charades!"

Keegan and Charlotte chuckled. It was nice to see the children being children.

"Well, you kids have fun," Charlotte said. "Mr. Madison and I will grab you some lunch."

"Thanks, Mom," Evie chuckled. She watched her parents walk away with their hands hooked. The second they were gone, she hopped onto the stage with Ben. Her friends joined her.

"So, how do we play?" Sam wanted to know.

"Charades is awesome!" Ashlynn said. She gestured for everybody to sit in a circle, and they obeyed. Ashlynn clutched her knees. "Charades is a guessing game, Sam and Embrose. One person acts out an action, and the players have to guess what it is. Allow me to demonstrate." The little girl cleared her throat and rose to her feet. She shuffled into the circle's heart so she could have the spotlight. Breathing heavily, she ran in place, and then she acted out riding a bicycle and swimming a lap in a pool. She was quite the little actress.

"Ooh! Ooh! I know!" Tate said. "You're an athlete in a triathlon."

"Exactly!" Ashlynn replied, laughing. "You're a pro at this, Tate. All right, now it's your turn."

"Oh yeah!" Tate leaped to his own feet. He took Ashlynn's place in the center of the circle. Tate thought for a minute, and then he got something. He fell to his knees and pretended to start building something. With each passing second, he moved his hands higher and higher, until he finally pretended to rub a blanket of sweat from his forehead.

Sam, starting to understand the gist of the game, tossed himself into the fray. "Wait, are you building a sandcastle on a beach?" he asked.

Tate nodded vigorously. "Yes! Nice guess, Sam. You got it on your first try."

"Does this mean it's my turn?" Sam inquired.

"Uh huh," Tate replied.

Ben may have been a full-grown adult, but he, too, enjoyed himself. It was nice to be a kid again. Besides, Evie was right. The game allowed him to get his mind off what he did under Anecka's spell.

Sam switched places with Tate, but before he could even act, a familiar voice called to him and his friends from the sky. "Hold on! Are y'all playing Charades without even inviting me? How rude!" John the Red-Crowned Crane swooped down from the atmosphere above.

"John!" Evie and her friends shouted. They quickly moved out of the way, since John was not the best at landing. He crashed onto his front and slid down the length of the stage. He moved so quickly that Evie and her friends could have sworn they heard car tires screeching.

John slid right off the stage and bumped into Keegan, who returned from one of the ceremony's buffet tables. He knocked the man's feet out from under him. The two toppled on top of one another, and Keegan spilled the plate of food. Sauce, greens, and fruit exploded onto John's white feathers, like when somebody threw one dark thing in with a load of whites. His hat ended up on Keegan's head.

Embrose jumped up. After a little hesitation, he said his first word in one-thousand years: "John!" His voice was calm, steady, and not too deep. It sounded like it belonged to a teenager.

Evie, her friends, Ben, and Sam gasped. All of them glanced at Embrose.

"Oh wow! Embrose!" Evie said.

A few of the villagers, who also witnessed the crash-landing and surprise, focused their attention on the crane and boy, too.

Tangled up in a pretzel, John and Keegan freed themselves from one other. John screamed when he saw his feathers. "Ah! My beautiful feathers! I now have to take another trip to Bird Central!" He then remembered what happened last time when he cared more about his looks than his mission. Instantly, John shut his beak.

Next to him, Keegan scoffed. "Well, excuse me, John. I'm okay. Thanks for asking."

Chuckling, Charlotte said, "Keegan." She lugged him to his feet and removed John's hat from his head. Charlotte wasted no time tossing it to the bird.

He caught it in his right claws.

While they were distracted, Evie, her friends, Sam, and Ben pulled Embrose into a hug. "Embrose! Embrose!" Evie said. "You said your first word after one-thousand years!"

Ben clutched the boy's shoulder. "Can you say your name yet?"

Embrose gave him a funny look. He then took a deep breath and muttered, "Em-Embrose."

"Yes! You did it!" Ben cheered. "Come on! Give your Uncle Ben a hug!" Without warning, he picked up Embrose and kissed him on each of his cheeks.

Embarrassed, the boy blushed. Did his first word really deserve such a celebration?

It wasn't long until Edger fluttered onto the crowded stage, with his wings flapping excitedly behind him. A small group of Bittersweet's children followed. They were very curious about the fae man. It was normal for the Bittersweet to have a tight connection with the fae, but it had been a while since they saw another fairy–sixty years in fact.

Edger pulled Embrose away from his family and friends. He gave his arm a small shake and said, "Embrose, my boy! Congrats on your first word. It's proof that it's time to start your acceptance ceremony."

"Oh, okay," Embrose muttered. Those two words earned him a friendly smack on the shoulder. Edger was a little too proud.

John rose to his shaky legs. He sighed with relief, knowing that while he may have messed up his feathers and missed Charades, at least he made it in time for both Embrose and Keegan's ceremony.

***

It started at exactly noon. The Bittersweet stood in a circle around the stage. Each family lined up like elementary school children. Evie, Sam, Ben, and Evie's friends cleared the stage for Embrose. They mimicked the Bittersweet and stood in a straight line behind each other. Edger and Embrose remained in the spotlight.

The gryphons lined up side-by-side in the gaps between the elementary school children. Each creature unfolded its wings. They created a curtain-like display. Bittersweet's villagers cheered and clapped for Edger and Embrose.

Edger bowed to them. "Thank you! Thank you!" he said. His eyes roamed between each member of the Bittersweet. "As y'all may know, today is a special day for the Paperblank Forest. Bittersweet's lost child, Embrose the Great, has returned."

The villagers cheered again.

The gryphons reared and waved their front feet.

"Oh boy," Embrose nervously said. He sheepishly flicked his wrist at the villagers and creatures. He was not used to being a celebrity. It was a bit difficult when one spent years under the influence of Evie and Mateo's great-grandfather. Honestly, Embrose wanted to turn back into the basilisk and bury his face in the dirt. Now was not a good time to be an introvert.

"Today, we shall welcome Embrose back into the Bittersweet," Edger continued. His eyes rolled over to Ms. Julie, who stood at the very front of one of the lines. "Ms. Julie, would you do the honors?"

"It would be my pleasure," Ms. Julie responded. She stepped out of line and approached Allister, who was on the very end of the line of gryphons. He eagerly leaned down like a dog and waved his tail behind him. Ms. Julie escorted him onto the stage.

Embrose gulped when he noticed how close the lion/bird-like creature was to him.

Allister's front claws tapped the stage's squeaky wood. At his command, a bittersweet magically appeared in between his feet. A golden glow surrounded it like a slightly dimmed light bulb. He grabbed the flower in his beak and offered it to Ms. Julie.

"Thank you, Allister," she said while she accepted it. She held the flower in open palms and carefully approached Embrose. "Embrose the Great, do you know why we chose to name ourselves the Bittersweet?"

"I-I don't remember," Embrose nervously replied. And he didn't. He turned into the basilisk on the day of his rite of passage, so he had forgotten everything he learned.

It was no issue for Ms. Julie. "Because the color purple symbolizes magic, mystery, and peace," she explained. "These are the three components that represent the fae and the Paperblank Forest. We are friends with these wonderful beings. Fifteen hundred years ago, when we first befriended them, they gave us a bittersweet as a gift for our newborn friendship. From that day forth, we called ourselves the 'Bittersweet'. It is time for us to pass their gift down to you, and have you officially become one of us once again."

The whole thing was fascinating to watch. Evie definitely knew she was living a fairytale. She excitedly clutched Ashlynn's hand and whispered, "Oh my gosh." If only Mateo, Krysta, and Maria were there to witness the ceremony, too, but she understood why they weren't.

Ms. Julie released the flower from her hand. It floated in between her and Embrose. Using her magic, one bittersweet turned into two, and then three. The pattern continued until finally, a bittersweet diadem replaced the lone flower. Gold outlined the crown as a symbol of royalty and acceptance.

Embrose's knees knocked together. Did he really deserve a place back in the tribe after what he had done? This was all so formal, and he did not know if he was ready for it.

Ms. Julie knew he was nervous, so she smiled friendlily. "Embrose, do not fear what you have done. Even with your flaws, we accept you back into our tribe." Just like that, she placed the diadem over Embrose's head.

Instantly, the bittersweets shimmered like fluorescent lights. Green and yellow magic launched into the sky, like rocks from a catapult, and swirled together to create a cloud. The fae unleashed a curtain of fairy dust that showered Embrose with newborn confidence. One by one, the fairies appeared within the cloud. They soared down to Embrose and circled him from his heels up. There was a gentle mix of men, women, and fairy children. These fairies weren't the full-sized ones like Edger, but the pixie-sized ones like Euphorbia.

Embrose felt his feet lift off the ground. He gasped when he noticed the stage growing smaller and smaller.

The fairies chittered. Each one kissed Embrose's forehead. "These are gifts from Euphorbia," a wise, white-haired one explained. "Even under the hunter's influence, she always knew there was still good in you."

Another pixie soared down to the tear in Embrose's shirt. Her green magic sewed the hole together.

"Thank you," Embrose whimpered, on the verge of tears. He was officially part of the tribe again–the tribe of the Gifted Humans.

Evie, her friends, family, and the villagers gave him a huge round of applause. "Bravo, Embrose! Bravo!" they chanted.

The fairies escorted Embrose back down to the stage. Fairy dust now decorated his clothes and crown. He jumped when he suddenly felt something tap his left arm. Allister. Up close, his deep brown eyes were mesmerizing. They reminded Embrose of a cat and dog. He lifted his hand and pressed it up against Allister's hard beak.

Evie and the rest of her party re-joined him. "Congratulations, Embrose!" they said.

"Oh, I'm so proud of you!" John shouted. "Don't be shy. Give your boy John a hug, too!" He leaped into the sky and grabbed Embrose's head with the palms of his feet. John hugged him to his belly. He tapped Embrose's head with the base of his beak.

Even Keegan couldn't help but smile. He held his hands behind him and said, "Yes, Embrose. Congratulations."

Ms. Julie grinned at him. "Mr. Madison, the ceremony isn't over yet. There is one more person the Bittersweet wants to accept back."

"Really? Who?" Keegan had never felt so bewildered in his life.

Allister left Embrose and came within reach of his owner. All eyes in the area landed on Keegan. Within seconds, nervousness overtook his excitement. Wait, Ms. Julie didn't mean...?

Allister started to tap his feet again, but a sound stopped him: short, choppy sirens.

Everyone's eyes moved away from Keegan and landed on Bittersweet's entrance, which consisted of an archway of tree-sized mushrooms.

An orange, black, and white vehicle pulled into the village with its lights flashing. Its sides had both EMS and the Ranger Union's logo on them.

The Union's logo consisted of a fairy who had her hands cupped together. She faced the world in front of her, stuck in a mystical-looking pose. Magic hovered over her palms.

It was time for the ambulance to pick up Mateo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 95 25
|FEATURED · BOOK ONE OF THE MILO AND MAISIE NOVELETTES| When Maisie and Feya's friendship is tossed into the danger zone, they must work together to...
253 27 14
She siped on her tea with elegance yet she was feared. She dressed up like a pretty doll yet her sword swinged like lightening. Her eyes mesmerized...
15.2K 729 51
"Who's out there?" One of the men yelled. Of course only silence met them. I remained quiet and waited for the group to start moving again. "Maybe i...
36K 2.1K 38
𝓕𝓪𝓶𝓲𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓸𝓮𝓼𝓷'𝓽 𝓔𝓷𝓭 𝓲𝓷 𝓑𝓵𝓸𝓸𝓭 Morgan is sent to live with her grandmother at a college in the middle of nowhere. Forced from the...