Emma Crawley (Downton Abbey S...

By QueenOfDiamonds07

World War One has now occured and Lady Emma Crawley must either sink or swim in this troubled, dark times. Si... More

CAST
Episode 1 - The War of the Nations
Episode 2 - Change
Episode 4 - Concert
Episode 5 - Causalities
Emma's Bio?
Chapter 6 - Patrick
Chapter 7 - Decisions
Chapter 8 - Pandemic
Chapter 9 - Celebrations
Epilogue
Season 3

Episode 3 - Convalescent Home

796 20 2
By QueenOfDiamonds07

Hello everyone, I am back with another chapter and I must admit that I had temporarily lost my enthusiasm for writing these past weeks. But just rewatching the first ten minutes of Downton Abbey had just sparked my interest and I am back to writing. 

Anyways, enough of me and please, enjoy reading, feel free to comment, vote and adding the story in the library. 

July 1917. Downton Abbey had started the transformation into a convalescent home for the soldiers. Although in Emma's opinion, it became across a factory and a hospital for the wounded soldiers. There were many bed frames converted into bedrooms. The library was sectioned off between the soldiers and the quiet private library for the family. The Dining room was also to be shared between family and soldiers. It felt like an infiltration. Emma was trying to help as much as she could muster, but she felt completely useless and a nuisance. She kept trying to ask Cousin Isobel what could she do to help, but she was ignored all the time. She felt rather foolish standing around whilst everyone was busy bustling about.

Luckily, Sybil spared her to help make the beds and pouring jugs of water and deliver medical supplies in the rooms. It wasn't the most exciting job, but it would help pass the time and anything to kill off the boredom she had. Cora, Edith and Mary joined them in the Drawing Room.

'Who will be in charge?' Cora asked.

'Cousin Isobel thinks it'll be her,' said Edith.

'I hope not,' said Emma, frowning a little, 'She'll drive us mad by the end.'

Mary agreed. 'For once, I am with Emma on this.'

Emma and Edith shared a glance.

'I'm going up to change,' Cora said, clearly tense from the move and Mary followed her.

'I just want to finish this.' Sybil said, making the bed.

'I can help.' Emma said, placing the last medical supply box on the side table.

'Aren't you going to the hospital?' Edith asked Sybil.

'Not yet,' she said, 'I'm on a night shift. I'll walk down after dinner. And please don't start lecturing me.'

'I won't,' said Edith, 'I envy you.'

'Do you ever miss helping out on the Drake's farm?'

'That's a funny question. Why?' Edith sounded offended by Sybil's inquiry.

Emma frowned at Edith's attitude.

'No reason,' It's just you seemed you had such a purpose there. It suited you.'

Emma sighed, 'Well, at least Edith did something. All I have done is run around like a headless chicken while soldiers are fighting and laying down their lives in France. I just feel helpless.' Emma grumbled.

Sybil reasoned, 'Trust me. You both have talent that none of the rest of us have. Just find out what it is and use it. It's doing nothing that's the enemy.'

Emma sighed. It sounded easy for Sybil because she found her purpose, where else Emma didn't know what she could do.

The next day, the house was fully ready for the blitz of recuperating soldiers. Emma watched outside with her parents, Edith and Sybil to welcome them and help them inside. One by one, the family members went inside the house, helping out the officers inside.

'Well, well, when I heard I was staying at Downton Abbey, I never thought to see the most beautiful Crawley daughter here to welcome me.' A man with a Scottish accent commented behind her.

Emma thought the man was talking to Mary. She looked around to find her sisters, but they were nowhere there. She continued walking.

'Excuse me, my lady.' The same voice called.

She looked over to face the man. Emma could help notice the man was striking. His hair cropped brown with slight curls. His eyes sparkled playfully. He had a light stubble on his jaw.

'Corporal Philip Collins,' he introduced with a nifty smile.

'Lady Emma Crawley.' She held out her hand to shake, instead he took her hand and kissed it.

'Emma is a beautiful name for a beautiful woman such as yourself.'

Emma felt her cheeks burning and she narrowed her eyes at the man.

'Oh, Corporal Philip Collins... I like you for trying, but your cheap tricks won't work on me.' She told him self-assuredly.

'Oh? Then how come you are blushing might I ask?

Emma's eyebrow rose, 'May I show you inside?' she asked. 'Before they take the best seats?'

'Of course, that would be appreciated.'

Once Emma had shown the Corporal inside, she went around placing the jugs of water and glasses on tables around the house. She kept her head down, not wanting to attract attention from libidinous officers. She had heard some of the officers talk about her and she felt wandering eyes on her back.

'Excuse me, Miss, might I have a glass of water?' A man's voice asked behind her.

'One moment, sir,' Emma said.

Emma turned around to face the man and she saw no other than James.

'James.' She greeted breathlessly, 'What on earth are you doing here?'

'We've finished in the Midlands and tomorrow we start on the camps in the northern counties. I only have a few hours off.' James explained.

'Oh. Will we see something of you?' Emma asked optimistically.

'I-'

'Sybil. Come. Edith can do that.' Isobel called from the other side of the room, interrupting their conversation.

'Dear Mrs. Crawley. She really enjoys a bit of influence. I suppose she is driving Lady Grantham mad.'

'A gentleman never asks, and a Lady never tells,' she said, winking at him. 'I'm sorry, but I must keep moving. I love to stay and chat with you, but I got things to do, or Cousin Isobel would scowl at me.'

'If she does, let me know,' James smiled politely. Emma saw the gloominess pass over in his eyes. With one glance, she walked away, continuing her boring labor of pouring water.

Emma was gathering some books for Edith to take for the officers in the small part of the closed off library when the door opened and Cora, Robert, Isobel and Major Clarkson entered the room. From their expression, Emma instantly thought this wasn't going to be pleasant conversation.

'All right, we need to have a straight conversation right here and now,' said Cora in an enraged tone.

Emma gulped. She never seen her mother mad like this.

'You take over every room in the house, you bark at me like a sergeant major, and you give orders to my servants!'

'Cora, I'm sure Cousin-' Robert reasoned.

The door was opened and Mary entered with a letter in her hand.

'I'm sorry, are you in the middle of something?'

'We're discussing the arrangements.' Major Clarkson replied.

'Oh, good, because we've had a letter from Evelyn Napier. He's in a hospital in Middlesbrough and he's heard that we're a convalescent home now, and wonders if he can come here once he's released.'

'Of course he can come here.' Cora said.

'Well, now, just a minute.' Major Clarkson rebutted.

'There's no question of him coming here.' Isobel said.

'What?' Cora asked in disbelief.

'But why? He's a family friend.' Emma stated, frowning slightly at Major Clarkson.

'The Middlesbrough General will have their own arrangements for where their patients convalesce.' Isobel stated.

Emma rolled her eyes.

'I'm afraid Mrs Crawley is right. Downton must function as part of the official system, or it cannot function at all.' Major Clarkson coherently.

Emma's mouth dropped, 'But this is our House, this is where we live... surely we can have at least one friend over.'

Major Clarkson opened his mouth to object when her father intervened.

'Now, I think, perhaps, I should make one thing clear. Downton is our house and our home, and we will welcome in it any friends or any relations we choose.' Robert stated clearly. 'And if you do not care to accept that condition, then I suggest you give orders for the nurses, and the patients, and the beds, and the rest of it, to be packed up and shipped out at once!'

Cora held in a smile.

Major Clarkson nodded, 'Thank you, Lord Grantham, for making your position so clear.'

Clarkson cleared his throat and started to leave before Isobel spoke up.

'Oh, just one more thing. The dog. What should we do to stop Isis getting into the patients' rooms?'

'I can answer that.' Robert said hotly. 'Absolutely nothing.'

'Ah.'

Everyone left except for Robert and Emma, who was still looking up at volumes that might interest the officers. Emma had taken out The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins whilst Robert was reading his newspaper. On the other side of the library that was closed off were the officers playing table tennis. Emma noticed Robert was pretty annoyed as he tried to concentrate until the ball bounced over the screen and across his table. Emma went over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

'It's not going to be like this forever, Papa. Maybe you read the papers somewhere elsead?'

Robert huffed, he looked at Isis then he resumed reading.

Emma sighed and went over to gather the books in her arms and went to find Edith.

'Lady Emma.' The familiar voice of Corporal Collins called. He was sat in a chair outside and saw her talking to one of the other officers. She walked over to him. 'How may I help you, Corporal?'

'You can call me Philip, if you like?' he said with a charming grin.

Emma smiled.

'Of course, Corporal.' She teased.

'You're quite cheeky.'

'I think you might bring that out of me,' she said, clasping her hand together, 'How can I help?'

'I spotted your sister, Lady Edith, going around with a book earlier, but I think I missed it. Could I possibly ask you to find one?'

'I'll see what I can do, which book are you looking for?'

'Well, I was hoping if you had any Wilkies books.'

Emma couldn't stop a smile coming. 'I might have one or two lying around in the library. I'll go and get it for you.'

'Thank you, Emma. Is it all right I call you Emma?'

Emma shook her head, 'I would prefer Lady Emma. After all, I barely know you.'

As soon as Emma turned her back to walk inside the house, she didn't see the adoring smile from Corporal Collins.

That same evening, the family and Major Clarkson were discussing the visit of General Strutt. 'If they arrive at five, we'll walk him round the wards, then show him the recovering men at play and after that fairly big dinner. I'll tell them to bring mess kit.' Robert proposed.

'That is my challenge, milord,' said Carson. 'How to make the dinner sufficiently grand with no footman in the house.'

'Plenty of people give dinners without footmen.' Robert said.

'Not people who entertain Sir Herbert Strutt, hero of the Somme.' Carson said, offering a tray of whiskey to Robert.

Robert took the whiskey and took a sip as Isobel rebutted.

'I'm sure he'll have seen worse things at the front than a dinner with no footman.'

Cora gave a scathing look to Isobel, 'Carson only wants to show the General proper respect. We will not criticise him for that.'

'Indeed we will not,' said Major Clarkson, 'But I think Lord Grantham's plan is a good one, with or without footmen.'

'Matthew writes Miss Swire is coming down from London for it.'

Emma noticed Mary's paled expression.

'Really?' said Isobel, sounding upset, 'He never said so to me.'

'Does he need your permission?'

'And what of James?' Robert asked.

'Major Montgomery is still in France,' said Major Clarkson.

Emma nodded in confirmation.

I think I should go round with General Strutt.' Isobel suggested.

'You and Lady Grantham will both come with us.' Major Clarkson replied.

Isobel looked surprised, 'But won't he want to talk about treatments?'

'The treatments and the house.' Major Clarkson said, glancing in between Isobel and Cora.

Emma and Edith exchanged looks.

A week past by and it was day that the famous General Strutt would be visiting Downton and foreseeing the progress that Downton was as a convalescent home. Emma aided by Anna to dress into a pale-yellow dress and her hair plait down her back.

The officers among them raised their arms in salute as Strutt's car drove past then the car turned around then came to a halt. Cora and Isobel had overseeing the preparations and in Emma's perspective, it was like there was a war in the house between the two Crawley women, she wondered if it was in nature of the Crawley women to be dominating. Although it was a great honour to have a war hero visiting their house. Matthew got out of the car, followed by General Strutt, looked like a portly and strict individual, as he introduced his family.

'My cousin, Lord Grantham.'

Robert saluted the General the same time as the General saluted him.

'Welcome,' Robert greeted.

'Lady Grantham,' Matthew introduced, 'And this is Major Clarkson who runs our hospital here.'

'And I am Captain Crawley's mother,' Isobel interjected, 'and will accompany you on your tour and explain the different levels of care we practice here.'

'Lady Grantham and Mrs. Crawley will both accompany us as we go around, sir.' Major Clarkson clarified.

General Strutt grinned, 'makes a nice change from the craggy-face warriors I'm usually surrounded by.'

'I'd like to think that were true,' Cora laughed.

General Strutt, Major Clarkson, Cora, Isobel walked inside, both were bickering over the attention.

'Goodness, the past week was certainly a battlefield,' Edith said.

'Who knows when it will end...' Emma sighed.

'Crawley!' the General called.

Emma saw Mary and Matthew talking before he left and Lavinia was talking to Mary that Emma saw wasn't a pleasant conversation. She didn't want to stick her nose in, she had better things to do, so instead she, Sybil and Edith followed the group.

The group came into what had used to be the Drawing Room. Emma went over to an officer who had lost both of his hands, struggling to pull the sheets over his body to keep himself warm.

'Here, I can help,' she said.

'Thank you, Lady Emma.' The officer said.

'The ground-floor rooms are for those men who need the most care, sir.' Matthew explained. One of the officers that Emma remembered his name was Captain Smiley, called Strutt over.

'Who is that man?' Isobel asked, 'I hope he's not complaining.'

Emma nearly rolled her eyes at Cousin Isobel.

'Oh no. That's Captain Smiley. He hasn't an unkind bone in his body.' Edith justified.

'How do you know?' Mary asked in an evocative tone. Strutt called Matthew over to see Major Holmes.

'What on earth is that all about?' Cora asked.

'Oh don't worry,' said Emma, 'Major Holmes can be a little waspish, but he wouldn't want us get into trouble. I suspect all the sugar he takes in his coffee comes into play there.' Emma laughed softly.

'How do you two know so much about a pack of strangers?'

'They're not strangers to us.' Edith said.

'They're really kind,' said Emma. 'You wouldn't notice us walking around, attending their requests. Honestly, spending a few hours of a day to get to know the officers who sacrificed themselves won't exhaust you.'

'This is all very impressive, Lady Grantham. The nurses and our own staff are to be congratulated.' Strutt praised.

'I believe they are.'

While the party was sitting, waiting for dinner to be served, there was a bit of a struggle in the Dining Room. Branson, who had volunteered to help out that evening, had brought in a dish out only for Anna, Mrs. Hughes and Carson to come and march in, and escorting him and the dish back upstairs. Emma was confused as to what had happened. Carson came back upstairs with William, who was wearing his army uniform. Robert had asked what happened.

'Branson was taken ill, so William volunteered to be footman one last time.' Emma overheard Carson say.

'Our footman, William, is leaving us tomorrow to join his regiment. That's why he's not in livery.' Robert explained to General Strutt.

'You are a credit to this house and this country, young man. There is no livery so becoming as a uniform.' General Strutt congratulated.

'Lady Rosamund, Mary, Emma, all of you, have been so kind to Lavinia.' Matthew thanked.

'Well, naturally.' Violet commented, 'We're all curious to know more of Miss Swire if she is to reign over Downton as queen.'

'Dear me. I hope you haven't unearthed anything to fearful.' Matthew said.

'You must ask Mary.' Violet said, looking over at Mary.

Emma narrowed her eyes at Mary. What did Violet mean? Was this to do with Mary and Lavinia talking earlier.

'One thing I am still not quite clear about. Who precisely is in charge of Downton when you're not here?' Strutt asked Major Clarkson.

'Uh, I've given some fair thought, sir, and it seems fair that only Mrs. Crawley and Lady Grantham should share that responsibility.;

'Capital. Well said. The fact is, I have been more than gratified by my visit here today, and I thank Captain Crawley for arranging it.' General Strutt said, 'You are all to be praised for your response to our national crisis. But I've been talking and I've been listening, and I feel there are some people among you whose generosities are in danger of going unremarked.'

Emma looked over at Isobel and Cora. She thought it was them to be praised for.

'It seems the daily cares and needs of the patients are being dealt with quietly and efficiently by Lady Edith and Lady Emma. Or that's what the officers tell me. So, let us raise our glasses and drink their health.'

Emma felt her face burn from the attention she was receiving. She thought she wasn't really doing anything but made tea and coffee, talked to some of the officers and played a few games of cards and reading letters and stories to the blinded officers.

'Lady Edith and Lady Emma.' Everyone said. Edith and Emma looked at each other and shared a modest smile. They both knew the other one earned the praise.

Everyone lined up outside again to send General Strutt off. Matthew walked over to Lavinia and took her hand. 'If I don't see you again before I have to go back, be safe.' He kissed her hand. Emma saw the longing in Mary's eyes and she pitied her sister for the first time in years. Matthew turned to Mary and he said, 'You too.'

Mary nodded and he turned to Emma, 'You know what I would say to you, please be safe.'

Emma nodded and said, 'You too, cousin. Come back safe and sound.' Emma gave a wavering smile and watched as Matthew drive away.

Emma heard a sniffle and she held Mary's hand as Matthew disappeared from their view. 

Well, here is Richard Madden as Corporal Collins, and his taken a instant liking to Lady Emma. Pitch in your opinions if you would like something to occur between the two of them or not. 

Feel free to comment what you think of this chapter. 

Enjoy your day and stay safe!

X

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.1K 361 57
[UNDER HEAVY EDITING] The little boy that Robert and Cora Crawley hoped for has safely arrived, making him the heir of Downton Abbey and not Matthew...
9.7K 512 47
She's back...will she get another chance? Read my first story before reading this one for it to make more sense :) Multiple Love interests ;)
6.6K 137 11
Emma and James are happily married and expecting their life to change in 1920. Emma expects her life to be blissful with the news of a baby on the wa...
1.2K 10 28
| The Sequel to 'All Is Fair In Love And War' ||Thomas Barrow/Matthew Crawley || Their secret doesn't just exist within Downton Abbey, now it lives a...