Somebody To Love (#4)

By ameesaAhlam

Harper Collins was an orphan who spent the first seventeen years of her life in an orphanage. Life in an orph... More

CHARACTERS
CHAPTER 1: Isaiah
CHAPTER 2: Just For A Night
CHAPTER 3: I Am What?!
CHAPTER 4: My Child
CHAPTER 5: Abortion
CHAPTER 6: You Did What?!
CHAPTER 7: Books
CHAPTER 8: Pissed Him Off
CHAPTER 9: Who's She To You?
CHAPTER 10: Archie
CHAPTER 11: I'm Scared
CHAPTER 12: Engaged?
CHAPTER 13: An Honest Explanation
CHAPTER 14: Family
CHAPTER 16: I Need You
CHAPTER 17: Falling In Love
CHAPTER 18: Are You Avoiding Me?
CHAPTER 19: Promise
CHAPTER 20: Date
CHAPTER 21: What's Wrong?
CHAPTER 22: Why?
CHAPTER 23: Australia
CHAPTER 24: She Will Be Safe
CHAPTER 25: He Left Me
EPILOGUE
New Story!
Sequel!
New Story
New Story
New Story
New Story
New Story
New Story
New Story
New Story

CHAPTER 15: Engagement Party

8.4K 370 24
By ameesaAhlam

Harper's POV:

After he left the room, I quickly laid down on the bed, covering my face with the duvet, trying to sleep before he comes back.

What the fuck was I even thinking?

Was I really going to kiss him? Seriously?

I calmed down the wild beating of my heart. This is not good. This is definitely not good.

I can't start to have feelings for him.

I'm just here because I am pregnant with his child. Nothing else. Eight more months and I'll leave. Eight more months. I assured myself.

But will I be able to guard my heart for these eight months?

The door of the room opened and my body stilled, pretending to sleep.

I heard his footsteps stop near my bed, I could feel him looking down at me.

He kept standing in that position for a few seconds and then sighed deeply.

"Don't make it difficult for me, Harper." He whispered softly.

And then he walked back to his bed.

What did I even do?

Don't make what difficult?

With these thoughts in my mind, sleep consumed me soon.

.
.
.

The next morning, he left for office earlier. So, he's back to avoiding me.

Great.

I even left for work, taking Aeryn's permission to leave early to buy a dress for the party. I even asked if I could take Carmel with me to which she agreed.

In the evening, Carmel arrived at the restaurant looking excited to go shopping with me.

Everette's car with a driver was already waiting outside so we hopped in and went on a search for a dress.

"How's this?" Carmel pointed to a dress and I shook my head.

We were in one of the famous boutiques in the city though I wanted to go to a less expensive one but Carmel insisted.

And I felt really odd when the owner of the boutique recognised me as Gareth's fiance. I never imagined myself to be famous. But here I was.

"C'mon, Harper. Select atleast one dress.". Carmel complained.

I ran my fingers over the dresses hanging there. "I don't seem to like any one of them."

"I have a better idea. Let's video call uncle and let him decide." She suggested.

"No! Don't call him...he must be busy."

"Oh... don't worry. He can spare some time for his fiance." She wiggled her eyebrows.

I smacked her shoulder. "Shut up. I don't wanna disturb him."

She groaned. "I am getting tired now... you are not choosing--"

"That one." I pointed to a light peach colour, off shoulder, floor length dress on a manequin in the corner.

I eyed the dress carefully but when my eyes fell on the price tag, I refused. "Um...not this one. It's too expensive."

Carmel shook her head lightly. "Oh, Harper. Uncle is a billionaire for God's sake! You can buy whatever you want, he won't mind."

"No, Carmel--"

"Can she try this dress?" Carmel ignored me and shouted to the owner of the boutique.

The owner nodded happily and and asked one of her helpers to help me try that dress.

When I came out wearing that dress, Carmel gasped. "Uncle is going to definitely swoon over you!"

I blushed. "Thanks."

So, at last, we bought that dress thanks to Carmel's stubbornness.

.
.
.

Saturday came sooner than expected and I felt nervous about the party.

I hardly saw Gareth the whole week, the only time I did was at dinner, that too sometimes. Not that I was complaining.

Archie called the other day inquiring about the fuss about the engagement. And I assured him that it was all just fake. And told him about Isaiah since he knew Isaiah too.

I asked if he could attend the party but he politely refused saying he can't take a leave now.

When I was talking to Archie that day over the call, Gareth must have heard my conversation because he warned me saying not to go about telling people that our engagement is fake.

"He's my best friend." I defended him.

He rolled his eyes and stated. "Trust is a fragile thing. You can't expect everyone to handle it."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes at his statement and said nothing more not wanting to argue with him.

"All done." The makeup artist said as she was done giving me the final touches.

"Thank you." I said and looked at myself in the mirror. I made sure I was wearing the engagement ring Gareth gave me.

The makeup artist left the room, leaving me alone and wore the stilletos.

Someone knocked on the door. "Yes?"

"You ready?" Gareth asked from the other side.

"Y-yes...you can come in."

The door opened slowly and Gareth stepped in wearing a black suit with a bow tie.

He didn't wear his spectacles, his beard was trimmed a little and so was his hair.

I bit my lips as he scanned me from head to toe, his mouth slightly parting. His eyes widening a bit. I felt heat rising up my neck upto my cheeks and the tip of ny ears burnt.

He blinked a few times trying to break the trance he was in and cleared his throat, a tint of pink appearing on his cheeks.

"Shall we leave?" He asked and I frowned.

At least compliment me, asshole.

"And yes..." He said as I stepped forward. "We'll need to...you know hold hands and stuff. So that no touching rule will have to disappear for tonight."

I contemplated about it for a moment, I can't say no to it. Or it will raise suspicion.

"Just for tonight...as long as we are at the party." I confirmed and he nodded his head. "Very well."

He gestured his hand to me to move ahead and walked out of the room as he closed the door and followed me.

We walked out of the house and a limousine was waiting for us. And Gareth opened the door for me and I slipped in and he followed.

There was a partision between us and the driver, to give us privacy, not that we needed it.

The car moved and I looked out of the window, getting lost in my thoughts.

I could feel his gaze burning into my skull and I chose to ignore it.

"You are looking beautiful, Harper." He spoke a minute later, in a soft voice.

My head snapped to him and he stared intensely at me.

I blushed at the compliment and said. "At least you realised it. I thought you went blind."

His lips curled up in a smile. "I kinda got blinded by your beauty earlier." He winked.

I blushed harder and turned my head away from him so he couldn't see my blush. My lips stretched in a wide smile.

"If you don't feel well there just let me know. We will leave earlier." He said.

And my heart skipped a beat.

"Wouldn't it be rude to leave earlier than the guests?" I questioned facing him.

He shrugged. "My fiance's pregnant. She's more important than the guests."

(A/N: You better kiss him, Harper or I'll do it.)

A small lump formed in my throat at his words. He could be lying but I didn't care.

I just wanted to hug and kiss him at the moment.

He snapped his fingers infront of my eyes when I didn't say anything. "You okay?"

I nodded my head not trusting my words, knowing I might just start crying.

But I somehow managed to whisper. "Thank you, Gareth."

He looked confused. "For what?"

"Just, thank you. For everything."

He smiled. "No. Thank you for not aborting this child and agreeing to give birth to it. And I'm again sorry for that day for freaking out and saying that I don't care."

"I forgave you already."

He grinned. "Thanks."

I nodded and the rest of the ride was spent in silence.

The car stopped infront of the banquet hall and Gareth stepped out first and holding the door open for me, he held out his hand for me to hold.

Hesitantly, I placed my hand in his and tingles erupted on my skin. With my hand in his, I stepped out of the car and he lifted my hand up to his lips and gently kissed it. And it was then that I realised we were surrounded by paparazzi and we are supposed to put on a show for them.

He removed his hand from mine and wrapped it around my waist instead, leaning down he whispered in my ear. "Don't pay attention to them."

I nodded and walked beside him slowly down the red carpet as a million questions were thrown at us.

Thankfully, all the chaos ended as soon as we reached inside the hall and admired the decorations.

Gareth's hand dropped from my waist and he put some distance between us.

"There you are!" I heard Aeryn exclaim as she came towards us with Everette and Carmel beside her.

"You are looking so beautiful, Harper." Aeryn complimented.

"You too, Aeryn." I said, smiling and glanced at Carmel who was showing her dress to Gareth by twirling around in it.

Carmel came over to me next as Everette talked with Gareth.

"You know uncle said that you are looking so beautiful that you almost took his breath away. I told you this dress would be perfect." Carmel said excitedly.

I blushed. "Did he really say that?"

She nodded. "Yes. He did. Just don't tell him."

"I won't." I promised with a chuckle.

"Isn't Maria here too?" I asked Aeryn.

"Oh, she is. But she is attending to the guest at the moment along with her husband." Aeryn told me and I hummed in response.

Gareth came to me. "It's time for the announcement."

"Already? We just arrived here."

"I want to get over it quickly."

"Okay..."

Aeryn wished me goodluck and Gareth placed his hand on my lower back, leading me to the stage.

On the way, we went past Maria and I gave her a small smile which she mirrored.

Gareth intertwined our fingers and helped me climb the few steps up the stage. Hundreds of cameras were set up in front of the stage with the same amount of reporters.

On the stage a lady handed Gareth a wireless mic and we walked to the centre of the stage.

He cleared his throat gaining the attention of everyone.

I ackwardly stood there as he smiled at everyone and spoke. "Ladies and Gentlemen, first of all, I am grateful that you all could take some time out of your busy schedules and attend this party."

He glanced at me before continuing. "As the word got out earlier this week regarding my engagement, I would like to officially announce my engagement tonight."

He wrapped his hand around my waist, gently pulling me closer. "I would like to introduce to you all my fiance, Harper Collins."

The hall erupted in a round of applause and whispers.

The reporters went crazy and threw questions at us to which I didn't know the answers to.

"Where did you meet her, Mr Wilbrose?" One asked.

To which Gareth replied. "She's a friend of my sister in law, so my brother's wedding was where I met her."

"When did you both get engaged?" Another asked.

"Two weeks ago." Gareth again replied.

A few questions were thrown specifically at me but Gareth made sure I didn't have to reply to them.

"I am really sorry but my fiance is not feeling well tonight. So, please excuse us." He said politely to everyone and lead me down the stage away from the chaos.

Aeryn met me half way and took me away to a table laden with food and we tasted a little of everything.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw someone familiar.

I looked to my right, there leaning against the wall was Isaiah with a drink in his hand, his eyes on me. A small smirk playing on his lips.

Gritting my teeth, I looked away from him.

I spent the rest of my time with Aeryn and Carmel. Later, Everette came and took away Aeryn for a dance.

And Carmel requested Gareth for a dance to which he happily agreed.

They looked so cute dancing together, Gareth had to bend down a little since he is taller than Carmel.

Since my lipstick was fading away, I decided to reapply it so I searched for a washroom around the hall.

A waiter passed by me and I asked him for the washroom and he told me it was upstairs, thanking him, I walked upstairs.

As I climbed the steps, I found myself in a long corridor with the washroom at the end.

As I came out of the washroom after applying the lipstick, I noticed a door leading to the balcony, so I went outside on the balcony.

A gentle breeze was blowing and the view from here was beautiful and calming and peaceful.

But the peace was ruined soon as I heard Isaiah speak. "Looking beautiful tonight, Harper."

Chapter completion on: 18/7/21

Me realising I still haven't written the epilogue:

😭

~Ahlam

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

886K 75.5K 129
This is the continuation of short story collection 'Love me thoda aur '.
1.1M 45.8K 63
Isha singh Raizadha is a girl from one of the renowned business families of Rajasthan. She completed her masters in business administration. She is...
1.5M 82.2K 82
Daksh singh chauhan - the crowned prince and future king of Jodhpur is a multi billionaire and the CEO of Ratore group. He is highly honored and resp...
163K 12.6K 15
𝐒𝐡𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐲𝐚 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 𝐱 𝐑𝐮𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐤𝐬𝐡 𝐑𝐚𝐣𝐩𝐮𝐭 ~By 𝐊𝐚𝐣𝐮ꨄ︎...