Sailing With Destiny

By Bookworm_Tina

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... More

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Friend or Foe
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
CumpleaƱos
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Petty
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
I Hate My Birthday
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
The Night Begins
Can The Night End Already
I don't Know You Anymore
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
Friends
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
Holiday Surprises
I Trusted You
I Trusted You Too
A Mental Maze
Always
Mark My Words
Call It Destiny

Off-route: London

823 50 289
By Bookworm_Tina

Mitchell's POV

My teeth instinctively clenched together and fingers curled tightly around my phone as I watched Mila, rather immaturely, run towards her childhood friend. Leo didn't even notice her presence until she threw herself at him, he stumbled back and my eyes dropped to his hands that immediately fell to her lower back and held her. Leo widened his eyes and I could tell it took him a few moments to comprehend what just happened.

Mila was as excited as a kid who just got the taste of candy, her hands were wrapped around Leo's neck and she looked so ecstatic, I felt her energy from where I stood. It was almost as if she was seeing him after eons when in reality, it only could've been a few weeks.

Her inner five-year-old is just excited to see her best friend. That's it.

"That would be Leo," Leo's brother, Lorenzo, broke the silence between us and I glanced at him from the corner of my eye, "My brother."

As if I didn't fucking know already. How stupid did I look for him to assume I'd stand silently and let my girl hug some stranger?

My attention was completely diverted from booking the earliest plane ticket to London, so I locked my phone, slipped it in my pocket, and strode towards Mila – who still hadn't let go of Leo.

I couldn't read Leo's expression but his grip appeared to tighten around Mila and his eyes momentarily shut. The intimacy at the moment might've been platonic but it slowly began to irk me. I made my presence known when I cleared my throat and Leo's eyes immediately opened and briefly met mine before he pulled away.

"What are you doing here?" Mila's voice was filled with glee as she gazed up at Leo and slapped his arm, "Why didn't you tell me you were in Italy?"

Leo flinched and dramatically rubbed over the arm she smacked, "So you don't follow me and abuse me. Seriously woman, why must you be violent?"

And here I thought I was the only lucky one she got violent with.

"Shut up," she cutely wrinkled her nose and tried to hide her smile, "Ah, I missed you!" she stepped forward towards him but he took a step back and glanced my way.

"Mitchell," Leo's tone changed from playful and carefree to formal in a second, "Nice seeing you again."

Mila finally remembered my existence when she glanced at me over her shoulder and the minute her wide, blue-green gaze caught mine, I couldn't be annoyed at her for running off like a kid anymore.

I'm so fucking done for.

Mila's smile brightened her features and she looked at me with a hopeful glimmer. I couldn't dampen her spirits and hated not giving her what she wanted so I planted on a convincing grin and offered Leo a hand to shake. "Leo," Leo glanced at my hand before he gave it a firm shake, "Likewise."

Doesn't necessarily count as a lie because it felt good to see Mila so happy and if her happiness meant seeing Leo, I was okay with it.

I couldn't deny the slight awkwardness between Leo and me, the last time I saw him was in Bora Bora. While Leo and I were never friends or even friendly, I assumed he hated me after he walked in on Mila and me right after we spent the night together. I didn't blame him for holding a grudge, I broke his best friends' heart without a valid excuse and didn't grovel half as much to make my way back into her life and heart.

"What are you doing here?" Mila asked.

"I should ask you that," Leo retorted, "Spain is at least another eight-hundred miles from here."

"Whose ass did you crawl out of this morning? Because your attitude stinks right now." I couldn't help the small grin that grew on my face at a classic, smartass Mila comeback.

Leo was amused too but tried his best to hide his grin. He coughed and cleared his throat, "So, I'm not in a nightmare, it's really you."

"Just like old times," Lorenzo joined the group I wished I wasn't part of, heck I wished we left sooner so I didn't have to stand here and listen to Mila and Leo bicker like kids.

A short, hour-glass-shaped woman with brown hair that donned blonde highlights stood at Lorenzo's side and wore a smile.

"Mils," Lorenzo said, "I don't believe you've met my wife, Nina."

"Yeah," Mila sheepishly muttered, "I kind of missed your wedding and then... well better later than never," Mila smiled and extended her hand for Nina to shake.

Nina ignored Mila's hand, instead reached for her and kissed her cheek. My brows raised a fraction with amusement when I noticed the look of dismay on Mila's face. Mila always liked her space and didn't hug or show any physical signs of affection for anyone – except for an exception to a few.

"It's so good to finally meet you," Nina smiled and spoke in a thick New Yorker accent, "I've heard so much about you," she paused and her eyes dropped to Leo, "Leo's Mila."

Leo's what now?

Nina's words were not amusing, the dismay and irritation must've been clear on my face because Mila's smile dropped and her wide eyes immediately found mine. I tried to keep my expression neutral but I bit my tongue so I didn't say anything to upset Mila.

Mila immediately moved to my side and the fabric of her blouse brushed against my arm as she leaned into me. The scent of her perfume which had arrays of lilac and amber notes with a tinge of citrus mixed in with lavender and eucalyptus from the bath oils welcomed me and I greedily breathed it in.

"If you mean the coolest friend Leo ever had, then yes that's me," she adorably rested her head over my chest and I took in the scent of her fruity shampoo, "But if you want to get technical, I'm Mitchell's Mila."

That's my girl.

I smiled and kissed the top of her head; Mila was possibly the only woman that had me feeling like a stupid fucking adolescent in love with his crush. Heck, I didn't even feel this way when I was an adolescent in love.

I felt Leo's eyes on us but before I could look, Mila pulled away and introduced me to her friends. "Lorenzo, Nina, this is Mitchell," she glanced up with warm eyes and lightly wrapped her fingers around mine, "My Mitch."

I half-grinned and shook Lorenzo's hand when he introduced himself and Nina did the same.

"The boyfriend, eh?" Lorenzo flashed Mila a wide smile, "Little Miss. Boys-are-gross has a boyfriend now."

Mila scrunched her nose and no matter how many times she did that, I could never get enough of how cute she looked. "Boys are still gross." Mila pointed out and added when she glanced at me with a suggestive grin, "Mitch over here isn't a boy, he's a man. There's a difference."

Cute? Absolutely yes. Filter? Fuck no.

Leo who was very silent cleared his throat and appeared a little... serious. I wasn't sure, I barely ever paid attention to him anyway.

"The last I spoke to Damien; you were in France. What brings you to Pisa?" Leo casually asked Mila.

Damien? So, her father and Leo are on first name basis now. Doubt I'd ever fucking get there. Not sure if I even want to.

"We were but we've been traveling around The Mediterranean on Mitch's family yacht," Mila replied and after the raised brow looks, I got from Lorenzo and Nina, I wished Mila left the last part out.

"Someone knows how to spoil a girl," Nina commented and winked at Mila, "You've got to join us for dinner. Lorenzo's grandparents speak so highly of you."

"Right!" Mila exclaimed and realization dawned down on her features, "Your grandparents are from Florence!"

"Bingo," Leo smirked at her, "So, you still remember how to use your cerebrum."

Mila narrowed her eyes at him, "Of course I do, my name isn't Leonardo."

"It's just Leo," Leo retorted sourly.

I don't have time for this shit!

I grew a little agitated and impatient, while Mila presumably enjoyed her reunion with her childhood friends, I was still on edge about Katie. Her voice sounded so weird on the call but that could've been a connection problem. However, I still wanted to get to her as soon as possible, and only after I knew she was alright, would I be at ease.

"Ignore my idiot brother," Lorenzo said and looked at Mila and me, "Our grandparents bought a farm in Pisa some time back so we're visiting. I know my folks would love to have you over for dinner or lunch..." Lorenzo glanced at me, "If we're not ruining any prior plans, that is."

Plans or not, it's a hard fucking no from me.

Leo looked between Mila and me and then said to his brother, "Let's not impose, Enzo. They're on a trip together... as a couple., he earnestly said. "Mila can visit Nonna and Nonno another time."

Mila scoffed, "What's the matter, Leo?" she wryly grinned, "Scared your grandparents will love me more than you?"

Leo choked on a laugh, "Yeah... no."

Mila smiled at Lorenzo, "I would love to meet your grandparents. Your mom has spoken so highly of them," she smugly grinned at Leo, "and seeing how Leo's kidnapped the affection of my grandparents, I wish to return the favor."

Leo shrugged and grinned at Mila, "I'm a lovable guy," I didn't miss the way his smile dropped a fraction and added in a softer tone, "Most of the time."

"We'll let your Nonna and Nonno be the judge at dinner," Mils cockily spat at him. She turned to me and the glimmer of hope and happiness in her eyes melted my hard demeanor. "Can we join..." she trailed off and realization dawned over her features.

Her smiled dropped a smidge, "It's going to have to be next time, Mitch and I are heading to London."

Leo looked... relieved? I wasn't sure but that's the impression I got. But then again, I could've been wrong, I was not in the fucking mood to scrutinize his expressions.

"Told you," Leo said to his brother and sister-in-law, "We can always catch up another time."

"Yeah," Mila sounded a little disappointed and I hated that she couldn't get what she wanted twice in a day now, "I'm sure I'll be in Italy again... sometime."

"Or my grandparents will be in New York," Leo smiled at her and earnestly added, "Don't fret Mils. Just enjoy your vacation with Mitch. It's long overdue."

How can I be an asshole to him when he's being so... sincere?

"Yeah," Mila smiled at Lorenzo and his wife, "It was really good seeing you again, Enzo, and lovely meeting you, Nina."

"And Leo..." she crinkled her nose, "Seeing you again was... Eh."

Leo chuckled, "Ditto."

"Good seeing you too, Mils, we need to make dinner plans when we're all in New York again," Lorenzo grinned.

"I'm going to count on that," Nina agreed.

"As long as Mila's not cooking, I'm down," Leo remarked.

Mila scowled at him, "Who said you were invited?"

Mila did her best to hide the disappointment in her voice and I felt awful that our plans had to be ruined because of my personal agenda. If it wasn't the matter of Katie, I probably would've sat through a fucking dinner with Leo and his family just to make Mila happy.

Mila let go of my hand and walked over to Leo, she wrapped her arms around him and he rested one of his hands on her upper back. "I'll see you soon."

Leo groaned and drawled, "Why? Do you have to?"

Mila pulled away and stuck her tongue out at him like the childish five-year-old she was. Leo chuckled and tapped her arm, "I'll see you, Mils. For now, enjoy the rest of your trip."

A small frown grew on Mila's forehead and I could tell something was on her mind as she attentively watched Leo pull his hand away and place it in his pocket. She quickly shook away her thoughts and my eyes never left her as she plastered on a smile and said, "Thanks. Enjoy yours too."

Lorenzo smiled, "It's a pity, we could've toured up The Tower of Pisa together if you weren't in such a rush."

Mila's eyes widened, "You guys got tickets?"

"Yeah, our uncle has a little tour agency here and he books tickets well in advance so he got them for us at the last minute," Leo replied.

"That's great. You guys enjoy," she played it off cool and unaffected but it was very clear to me how much she wanted to tour that fucking tower.

Mila was back at my side and smiled at her friends, "We need to go, I'll see you guys."

"Finally," Leo sighed and Mila flipped him off with her middle finger in response.

Leo laughed and offered me his hand, "Mitch."

My hand twitched to shake his but I caught sight of Mila from the corner of my eye and she stared at a crowd that filed towards the tower. If only she knew how easily she could get her way with me because I felt fucking awful for ruining our day in Tuscany.

"Can you give us a moment?" I directed the question to Leo, "If you're not in a hurry, could you wait here while I talk to Mila in private?"

Leo appeared a little confused as he looked between Mila and me while Mila glanced up at me with a questioning look.

"Um, yeah... sure," Leo mumbled and after he told his brother and Nina to go on the tour without him, he walked off.

I took Mila's hand and led her to a secluded, quiet area. She wore a frown and looked a little nervous and perhaps... apprehensive. I smiled at her and flattened the frown lines on her forehead. "You're going to need Botox sooner than expected if you frown so much," I teased.

She slapped my hand away and glared but before she could retort my hand was back on her face, only this time on her cheek. I looked down into her eyes and sincerely told her, "Stay back."

Her eyes widened and she brought her hand to my forehead, she placed the front and back of her palm over the skin as one did when they checked for a fever. "Hmm," she hummed, "You feel like you, look like you but certainly don't sound like you."

I rolled my eyes, "I'm serious, if you want to stay back with Leo and his family, I don't mind."

Her lips parted and she appeared confused, "Is this some kind of trick question or something?"

"I didn't ask you a question," I pointed out.

Mila rolled her eyes, "Don't get technical." She licked her lips and that damn frown was back on her forehead, "I mean... why are you telling me to stay back?"

Because I'm fucking whipped and can't bear the thought of you being disappointed.

"Go tour the inside of the tower with Leo and the rest of your friends," I elaborated, "I feel shit for not being able to do it with you but Katie... I just need to make sure she's alright."

Mila placed her smaller hand over mine that rested on her cheek, "I know and that's the most important thing right now. I don't care about the stupid tour."

I offered a small grin and caressed the side of her lip with my thumb, "Dealing with Katie is my problem and you shouldn't have to ruin your day because of it."

Mila shot me a look of dismay, "Your problem is my problem."

Her words were touching and I couldn't help but broaden my smile. Underneath that smartass mouth and carefree attitude was the sincere, caring, and loving girl I was crazy about. "I appreciate that but my mood is already fucked and the trip to London will be a crappy one, to say the least."

"It's okay," Mila smirked, "I'm used to your PMS."

I gazed into her eyes and loved her for wanting to stick by my side but I didn't want to be selfish. I wanted her to enjoy her afternoon without having to deal with my foul mood. "I'll be in and out of London. As soon as I know Katie is alright, I'm flying right back. In the meantime, tour a little of Pisa with Leo and join his grandparents for dinner."

"Are you serious right now?" She sounded shocked and I didn't blame her. Heck, I was surprised at myself but I knew if anyone could take care of Mila and make her a priority, I hated to say it, but it was Leo.

"Do I look like I'm kidding?" I responded.

"Stop answering my questions with another," she scolded before she seriously added, "Are you seriously suggesting I spend the afternoon with Leo?"

I raised a brow, "Is there a reason I shouldn't?"

She playfully slapped my chest, "I said stop answering my questions with another!"

I cupped both her cheeks and bent my knees so I was eye-leveled with her. "I promised I would try to be better when it came to being... overly protective."

"You mean possessive," she corrected with an arched brow.

I shook my head and dismissed her statement, "What I'm trying to say is, this is me proving that I do trust you and am fully capable of not breathing down your neck all the time."

"Stay back and by the time evening arrives, I'll be back and have you all to myself," I half grinned at her.

She bit on her lip and her eyes widened, "I still think there's some catch to this."

I shot her a look, "Mila."

"What?" she innocently responded when I stood straight and dropped my hands to my side. "You can't blame me. Just a few nights ago you went all caveman on me for wearing a dress too short and now you insist I stay in a different country while you fly off to London."

She narrowed her eyes at me, "Are you having an affair? Do you have a dick appointment with a British admirer?"

The fuck is wrong with this woman?!

Her suggestions more than just annoyed me and I couldn't stop the glare I sent her way, "Why the fuck would you even say such a thing? Is that what I get for being trusting and considerate for what you want?!"

"Easy, Mi Amor," her hands were on my face and she smiled, "Such a temper. I was just kidding."

Her one hand dropped and she trailed it down over my chest while keeping eye contact with me and I knew the look on her face. That look sent blood straight down south and now was not the time to get excited.

Fuck! Too late!

I pursed my lips, ground my teeth, and jolted a little backward when her hand ran over my crotch. I gave her a warning with my eyes but she played it fucking innocent and battered her lashes at me when she spoke, "I know this guy is mine and mine alone."

Damn right but now's not the time to play this game.

"As much as I like feeling you there," I gripped her wrist and she smugly grinned at me when I took her hand in mine and brought it to my chest, "Not the time or place."

"Just remember who that little soldier salutes while you're in London," she winked and I shook my head at her choice of words.

"You're staying?" I questioned.

She took in a breath and nodded, "Yeah. I think you want to deal with your sister privately so I respect that."

She couldn't have been more wrong; I solely thought of her happiness. I didn't want to ruin her day while I was stressed and on edge – she deserved some fun when on vacation.

"Mila, it's not –" she cut me off and placed her slender index finger over my lips.

"It's perfectly alright, I would do the same for my brothers," she smiled and pulled her finger away. "Make sure Kate is alright and come straight back to me, okay?"

"Is that an order?" I asked, amused.

She placed both hands on my chest and inched closer, "Damn right it is."

I smiled and brushed my nose against hers, "In that case, yes Ma'am."

"But," she said seriously, "I'm not climbing the tower without you."

"I thought you wanted to?" I furrowed my brows at how indecisive she could be.

"I do but with you," her eyes sparkled under the sun as she gazed warmly up at me.

I appreciated her words and it warmed my heart but I was more than okay to skip the tour and let her have it with Leo. He would make sure she didn't act silly and fall over while killing herself in the process. Maybe my thoughts were a little too farfetched but I knew how adventurous Mila could be and because the five-year-old in her couldn't contain her excitement, I'd be a lot more at ease if she was chaperoned.

"No, really," I tried to convince her, "I'm not interested in seeing inside the tower at all. Leo would be a better tour buddy than me."

Mila wryly grinned at me, "Nice try, Guapo but you aren't getting out of this one. Visiting and touring wonderous and significant places is our thing so either it's with you or no one."

I couldn't even argue her statement when she was sincere and her words were so... sweet. Never in my life had I been so wrapped around a woman's finger yet one sassy, little Spanish girl – or half as she pointed out – could've asked me to take her to Mars and I'd find a fucking way.

"Alright," I grinned and flicked her nose, "As you wish, Ma'am."

With her hand in mine, we made our way to Leo and he looked up from his phone when he noticed our presence. "Everything alright?"

I nodded, "Yes. I have something to do in London but Mila is staying back. I'll be back later this evening or tonight. I trust she'll be alright with you."

Leo wore no expression but I sensed the annoyance by the way he stared at me. However, other than a stern stare, he reserved his comments and half-grinned at Mila. "The real question should be, will I be alright after babysitting her for an entire afternoon."

Mila pinched her fingers together into the shape of a pinecone and slowly let go as she spat at Leo, "Vaffanculo!"

I wasn't sure what it meant but Leo found it hilarious and burst out laughing. "Damn, I can only expect you to swear a man in his own language."

I spent way too much time chatting with Mila's friends and the longer I stood there, the more anxious I grew. I tugged Mila's hand and she turned to face me. "There's a flight that leaves in just under an hour, I need to get going."

She nodded, stepped closer, and offered a small smile, "Text or call as soon as you can." She pulled out a travel wallet from the bag I gifted her, opened it, and handed me my passport. "Try not to kill Josh if you see him, for Kate's sake."

"Murder isn't my thing," I teased and she glowered, telling me she was serious. I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose – there mere thought of Josh's and Katie's irresponsibility pissed me off. "I'll be on my best behavior, happy?"

Mila nodded with a small smile and I pressed a kiss on her forehead. "Be safe."

"Always," she replied and I felt awful to ruin our day in Italy – the country she was most eager to visit.

One hand went around her waist, pulled her closer, and the other cupped her cheek before I pressed my lips over her plump, soft ones and savored the taste of her cherry Chapstick. She kissed me back and before I got too lost in the moment, I reluctantly pulled back and stared into her wide gaze.

"I love you," I mindlessly caressed over the corner of her lip.

Her full lips pulled into a small grin, "I love you."

I hated the feeling in my chest as I slowly left her hand finger by finger and took a step back. When I glanced at Leo, he had his head turned and stared at nothing in particular on the ground. Mila adorably blew a kiss one more time and I smiled at her before I turned on my heel and left.

***

I was relieved that my flight wasn't delayed because of bad fucking weather. I reached London later that afternoon and typically, it was raining and felt the furthest from Spring. I'd been to London enough times to know the weather, so I purchased a jacket from the airport before I booked a cab and made my way to Katie's apartment – or flat as it was referred to here.

I pulled out my phone and tried to call Katie one more time but it just rang until I reached her voicemail. "Katie, call me as soon as you get this. Please." I left a message.

I deeply sighed and was about to toss my phone aside but decided to let Mila know I reached London.

Me: Landed in London about half an hour ago. On my way to Katie's place.

I didn't expect such a quick response from her but she replied almost immediately.

Mila: Phew, took you long enough, I was about to send out a search party.

I rolled my eyes at her taunt and typed out a reply.

Me: Your ass will pay the price for that smartass mouth.

Mila: I sure hope so 😉

The tension I felt momentarily disappeared at her response and I grinned. Even though we communicated via text messages, I could hear those words in her voice and imagined the expression she'd make.

Me: Careful what you wish for... the last I checked, you were still sore.

Mila: There is a fine line between pleasure and pain.

My brows raised at her response.

Me: Oh? Someone is kinky.

Mila: Yes, you.

I chuckled under my breath and decided to tease her a little more.

Me: You haven't even seen half of it...

Mila: SHRIMP! As eager as I am to hear about your kinky ways, I am not alone and cannot afford to ruin my panties.

I rolled my eyes but found her antics annoyingly cute.

Me: You're adorable, you know that?

Mila: I am not 🖕🏻

Me: Cute little munchkin.

Mila: You're lucky you're in another country or I'd remove the munchkin between your legs and have you choke on it.

Me: Kinda like you were last night?

I couldn't stop the grin on my face as I watched the three dots dance on my screen while she typed.

Mila: Sort of except instead of pleasure, it would bring you lots of pain... possibly death.

Me: You'd suffer more than me.

Mila: Guilty, Your Honor.

Mila: I've got to go, keep me posted about Katie and control that temper. Love you.

Me: Of course. Love you, too.

Our texting might've been brief but it made me miss her even more. I huffed under my breath, ran a hand through my hair, and glanced out the car window.

The dull, depressing weather didn't help my situation as I glanced out the rain-stained windows of the black Mercedes I sat in. Traffic from Heathrow Airport to Camden was typically bad but we still moved at a steady pace. Red double-decker busses and little black cabs were prominent on the road but I didn't pay any attention, I was still on edge because Katie hadn't called back.

I ran a hand over my face and that was when my phone rang, Josh's name flashed on the screen and it didn't take me a second to answer.

"Where the fuck are you?" I snapped.

A/N So, thoughts on Mitchell in this chapter? I thought he was civil towards Leo and really tried, no?

I'm curious to know your thoughts on this.

New chapter will be out soon!
Till then,
Be safe
Tina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

240K 12.7K 77
"Do you ever give being insufferable a rest? Don't you get tired of annoying me and then acting smug about it?" Mitchell annoyed asked the infuriatin...
5.8K 104 43
Evanly's desires of being loved, feeling affection, satisfaction and sex were casted aside as she was stuck in a loveless marriage, but light shined...
93.4K 1.4K 15
He brought his hands up and tucked my hair behind my ear. coming closer to my ear "Do i arouse you?" he whispered, making my knees weak "I can feel...
10M 211K 27
"Karma..." He muttered. I looked over at him as he smiled to himself. "Is a bitch. And so are you!" I joked. Aiden glanced up at me and glared before...