Tell Me Ariel, Are You Mine?

Per BluSonya

Everyone finds Dante attractive. Even Ariel. She'd rather not. No amount of dark, mysterious and cavalier sho... Més

Ariel
Chapter 1 - Encounter
Chapter 2 - Confrontations
Chapter 3 - ''He's One Hell of a Handsome Devil''
Chapter 5 - Red Dress
Chapter 6 - Rayflower Town Hall Event
Chapter 7 - Dance With Him
Chapter 8 - No Going Back Now
Chapter 9 - Revelations
Chapter 10 - Questions...
Chapter 11 - Discoveries
Chapter 12 - A Blast from The Past
Chapter 13 - I know.
Chapter 14 - Cherry
Chapter 15- Stay
Chapter 16 - Fireline
Chapter 17 - Mine
Chapter 18 - Turn Away
Chapter 19 - "She Loves You, Man. Don't Screw It Up."
Chapter 20 - The Arms Of A Hunter
Chapter 21 - Everything I Am
Chapter 22 - Choices
Chapter 23 P1 - Watch That Shit Burn
Chapter 23 P2 - All Is Never Forgiven
Chapter 24 - Cracks
Chapter 25 - Silver Magpie's
Chapter 26 - Dante's Girl
Chapter 27 - "Never Thought I'd See The Day"
Chapter 28 - The Mark
Chapter 29 - Back To Reality
Chapter 30 - The Fire Within

Chapter 4 - Proposals

38.4K 606 20
Per BluSonya

                                            Chapter 4 – Proposals

"What the...?" Jacey breathed hard. "Come to gloat has he?'

Who?

I peeked through the glass in the wall for answers but was met with squashed backs.

Sebastien opened the door and as the tall suited man walked in, I recognized him immediately. I swallowed hard.

And there it went...a flash of last night's fantasy chased across my eyes. I blinked it away. Boy, how vivid was that...? Whether I was visibly embarrassed or not he'd have no idea why, and I'd rather not catch him looking completely mystified by my facial flush.

His immaculate deep navy business suit clung to the broadness of his shoulders, and his hair appeared to have been slightly ruffled by the breeze I'd felt earlier as I came into work. Even still, he was an image.

He almost immediately clocked me, but the sudden approach of a strangely softened Jacey, who only moments ago seemed intent on remaining stern and near angry, drew his attention away as she greeted him.

"Mr Greco, always a pleasure." She smiled like perfection.

"Longsworth. Same here." His own perfection on display. His deep velvet voice reverberated once again. Damn...this man's masculinity was palpable.

Jacey had truly softened, as if even she couldn't resist doing so in his presence. "What can I do for you?"

If I didn't know any better, I'd say that was a very leading question.

"Well, I'm here because I was told by a reliable source that I should come and see the place and witness what you do here. You know, meet the people responsible for all this great work." Was he really just going to look me straight in the eye like that? With that perfectly delivered confidence and a knowing grin quickly creeping across his face as he did so? Yes. He really was.

I involuntarily reacted to his upturned mouth, gazing away like the walls were windows. As if some infinitely more interesting thing was happening on the paper tacked to the plasterboard. It was one thing to be so handsome, but to have a mouth like that as well? Even more accentuated by the turn his lips took when indeed he did grin...? I didn't need to think about a mouth like that. Not when my inner thighs were about to buckle.

I felt pathetic. I usually have more control over myself and I didn't like the lack of control this guy inspired in me. So yeah, the walls would do for now. All these post-its in various highlighter colours, and A4's all about the place. So...papery. So...interesting how it all just came together on the walls like tha—oh, who was I kidding?

"Actually, I'm here to see you."

My eyes widened in surprise as I shot a look over at him. I darted a quick look at Jacey. His stunning grey gaze remained on mine when I hastened a look back.

"Ariel, isn't it?"

My name...how did he know it? I hadn't given it to him.

"You know each other?" Sebastien cut in right next to me. Jacey looked as though she was about to ask the same question.

Dante Greco's eyes flicked from me to Seb, our proximity gaining the most attention. No longer was it my name he questioned, because it was under his flexed jaw and hardened mouth that he questioned something else.

"Uh, Sebastien Clement, sir." Seb was so nervous. His voice got the brunt of it, his hand too when he extended it.

Seb wasn't the introduction Dante Greco was looking for, that much was obvious. I didn't know whether to intervene or not, but Greco took a quick look at Seb's hand just in time for me to decide not to, and reluctantly extended his own. Seb winced before Greco let go.

"Wow." Sebastien flicked his wrist out. "That's quite a handshake." His laugh was nervous, but it failed to mask what odds-on felt like the numbness of a dead arm. Imagine being that strong? Greco must've known it. Men like him were never unaware.

Don't ask me how many times I repeated the words why is he here to see me in my head, but it was probably a record. I'd say I'd managed a good hundred echoes in thirty seconds. It's not like I'd done anything terrible yesterday. All I did was get a bit brave demanding to see the boss and be in a place I really wasn't supposed to be.

And if anything, it was him who was in the wrong, withholding significant information like who exactly he was to the company. The thought still annoyed me. Like seriously pissed me off. It was embarrassing if you ask me.

"I'm here actually to give you an invitation," he said, as he pulled out two elaborately decorated envelopes. "My assistant usually does these things but this was something I wanted to do personally. Particularly as I was interested in seeing you again."

My mouth felt dry. I licked my lips and involuntarily noticed Jacey's expression. She was confused, most likely from what he said last than what he said first.

Greco handed her an invitation, and I, surprised, took mine. It was an invite to one of the flashiest business functions held in Central London; The Rayflower Town Hall Event. An event named after Harry Rayflower; one the city's biggest investors in community projects. It had now turned into an exclusive event by invitation-only, where high-profile attendees were the focus and drew a lot of attention from the press.

I'd bet this invitation cost a fair penny. Talk about elegant. With its granite colouring, embossed font, and raised border, my remaining bank balance couldn't cover just two of these. No expenses spared.

"Why are we invited?" I felt grossly out of place, and he looked it here. No one's ever worn a suit like that in this office.

Probably shouldn't speak in place of my boss when she was in more of a position to ask questions than I was, but I just had to ask. Considering the scale and calibre of the event, it just didn't make sense.

"Because I wanted you to be there," he simply said.

"But—"

"I need you to represent yourselves," stated Greco with his matter-of-fact, no-nonsense side, as he settled his hands in his pockets. He turned to my boss. "Namely you Jacey, to bring awareness to your organisation. But I have other plans for you, Ariel."

I lifted an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

He smiled, that silvery glance holding all the intention I didn't want to think about. When gazes penetrate it was probably best not to think about what else can do that. I almost felt dizzy, as if he were searching my face and causing me to lose myself.

"I want you to accompany me as my date for the evening."

My bottom lip dropped. Say what now? Was I really hearing him straight? Or fantasizing? Again. I didn't want to embarrass myself by poking my finger into his arm to make sure he was physically there. No doubt his arm wouldn't be near soft enough for me to print my finger into his skin. His body seemed so solid.

Nope, not a fantasy. It really was real. I could tell because, like before, he had a knack of smelling so good. Like the earth. Fresh, rich, calm, yet subtle and wild. There's no smell in a dream, so yes, he was real. That was real.

"I can't." I managed to muster. In honesty, I shook a bit at the thought.

"You can. I'm sure."

"Oh, really now?" I snapped out of my slight spell. "What, like that coffee?" I jibed, smug.

"What coffee?" Jacey's brows tightened.

But Greco wasn't about to let me win. "Let's see shall we?' He laid down his challenge as he asked Jacey what my work day was like on Friday.

"Ariel's a full-timer, see. She's due to be in," confirmed Jacey. I smiled as I looked back at Greco with my best I-told-you-so face.

"– but I'm sure there'll be no problem giving her the day off if she so needs."

What! I was damn sure she could tell I was screaming ARE YOU MAD in my head. Needless to say, her response to my telepathic communication was to not be sure what my problem was. Oh, she knew.

Greco grinned. "See? Settled then. Friday night, you're spending it with me."

I stuttered. Again. "I—"

"It's a pretty significant evening Ariel," he ignored as he went on. "I expect you to look the part too."

"Look," I said, slightly bemused, "You really can't just waltz in here, tell me I'm to be your date for Friday evening, and just expect me to go out with you."

"Waltz huh? Wishful thinking for Friday, is it? I mean, if you want." He shrugged, hands in his pockets. "I'm not bad actually."

Internally I was seething and had to bite the ever-loving crap out of my tongue. "Figuratively," I said through my teeth. My nose flared.

And he could quit looking like he was enjoying getting the best of me while he was at it.

"It's just one evening, Ariel."

He said my name so calmly the way you do when you know someone. When you're familiar. When it just rolls off your tongue because you say it without thinking. It strangely felt so personal on his tongue. So intimate. Especially as he made it sound the type you softly caress. I gulped.

I had an idea.

"Look," I said to my boss. "If you're going to give me the day off, Jacey, I might as well do something I really wanted to do with it. So how's about we go see that film you said you wanted to go to." I made such a bold twist in Sebastien's direction that M Night Shyamalan would have been proud. "At least now I can come with you. You don't work on Fridays, do you?"

His eyes took on a life of their own as they looked at pretty much everyone, darting between Jacey, Greco, and me in no more than a second, gauging instant reactions. "I don't, no." He stuttered, swallowing hard. "Seriously Ariel?"

I smiled at him before taking a sly look at Dante Greco. I wanted him to see that I had no intention of going with him to any 'do', let alone the Rayflower Town Hall event.

He was vexed. I was thrilled.

I hoped that would tick him off, but I couldn't help but feel a little scared too.

It wasn't fair to bring Sebastien into it. I wasn't doing myself any favours there, especially as I was doing this to someone I knew already sort of liked me. I know, I'm ashamed. Now anyway. But it seemed like a good idea at the time. I would've done anything to get out of spending time with Dante Greco, even at a cost to my dear colleague's feelings. That was pretty terrible of me.

Dante was gorgeous, gorgeous, even beyond that, but...he was the kind of man I'd never really come across before. I mean, of course I'd had boyfriends—I was no virgin—but still...fantasizing about him felt safe. After all, it was just a fantasy and I could control it however I wanted.

This though, didn't.

He was simply worlds apart from me. Our worlds alone were complete opposites. Clearly though, from him inviting me, it didn't bother him.

I didn't want to do it this way, but I felt like I had no choice. How else would I get out of it? And I already noticed his reaction to Sebastien's presence, he didn't like it. It was obvious.

Greco looked hard at Sebastien, which made him shuffle uncomfortably on the spot. It wasn't hard for someone like Greco to intimidate anybody, and he'd managed to do it quite easily to Sebastien without so much as more than a look in his direction.

His silent intimidation got to Sebastien as he said to me, "You know, I think I'm already doing something on Friday actually." He noted Greco's face, as if Mr Fortune 500 here was telling him to go on. "Yeah," Seb added, nodding, as he clearly pretended to recall. "I think it would be best if you go to that ball thing on Friday night."

I looked to Jacey for support, but upon Seb's words, Jacey looked the picture of relief. Well, I knew which side she was on then. #deadtome

Okay, maybe not yet. I had bills to pay.

I shot a quizzical look at Dante. "How did you do that?"

A quick head shake and shrug. "Do what?"

"Just...he..."

He looked amused. "He what, Ariel?"

"Changed his mind."

"Remembered his plans."

"No...he..."

"Look, Ariel—"

''Stop saying my name like that!''

''Like what? Am I pronouncing it wrong?''

''No.'' I huffed, frustratingly trying to articulate myself. ''It's just, you say my name like...it just rolls off your tongue! Oh I don't know. You don't even know me like that.''

''Like what?''

He smirked and looked as though he couldn't help it. I was flustered, and clearly annoyed.

''What did I do?" Dante Greco shrugged. "I have no idea what you're talking about. I just stood here. It's more than just me in the room. I'm sure if I'd done anything then somebody would have seen it.''

Sebastien hastily agreed.

''See.'' He pointed out. ''It's not my fault if he remembered he was busy. Just means you're now free to come with me to the Town Hall event. I'm surprised you're reacting like this considering it's an opportunity for your organisation to get some much needed sponsorship and new funding.''

Yeah? "What do you mean?"

"I want you to use the opportunity to mingle and network for new business interests. The tickets are like goldust and not everyone gets an opportunity to go to something like this. The people there will be extremely influential and are always looking for new projects to invest in and pour money into."

"You know them do you?"

"I know a few." He untucked his hands from his pockets long enough to show he wasn't defensive, but instead, open. Honest. "There are a few odd companies on the lookout for good PR opportunities and corporate social responsibility initiatives, especially having suffered bad press recently and diminished consumer support in light of some unethical practices. Anything to look good.'' He dismissed. ''I want you to take this opportunity and use it to its full advantage. I guarantee you'll walk away with even more funding than you could possibly dream of.''

"You can guarantee?" I crossed my arms in a challenge. "Really now.''

"Ever the cynic."

"It's not that I'm a cynic."

'"It's just that you don't trust me."

Holding my tongue for a moment, I said, ''I only just met you so trust is not something to be given so soon.''

He smiled. If ever there was an expression of charm, his smile was the epitome of it. "Don't worry, I'll make you trust me."

"By doing what exactly?"

He eyes stuck with meaningful intent. I couldn't look away. "You'll see."

Men like him didn't let you get out of their grasp easily, even if it was just through a look. Thing is, that wasn't just a look. That was the kind that knew his truth would soon be yours. You'll see had never felt so ominous and so tempting at the same time. I knew what I felt about it and yet I didn't know what to make of it.

Instead, I quickly turned my attention to Jacey. He'd been talking to me as if we'd been the only two people in the room. If he even had a thought in his head similar to mine this could get dangerous. I changed the subject, more for my benefit than anything else. This would be my equivalent of a cold shower. I needed to turn down the personal heat somewhat.

''I guess this event takes on a whole new meaning now, huh?''

My boss looked between us both. ''It sure does,'' she said, as she examined Dante's gaze over me.

Our exchange had attracted a lot of attention, judging by the curious stares we'd amassed through the office window.

Jacey placed her invite on the desk and excused herself as she went to the door to howl at them about how there was "nothing to see here, keep it moving and get on with it. No one gets paid to stand around!"

Seb immediately took the opportunity to leave with an awkward glance back into the room as he quickly escaped, leaving Dante and I alone.

"I don't understand," I said, daring to look up at him. ''I didn't give you my name, How'd you get it? How did you know I worked here? I never said anything." I recalled.

''You did actually. It wasn't exactly difficult,'' he said cooly. ''You gave yourself away during your very impassioned speech about the Art Inspires Partnership,"he remembered with a nod, "when you said us. I also guessed you must have a deeper affiliation to the organisation than you were letting on. I just had my assistant do some digging. Confirmed it all really.''

I cursed in my mind for allowing myself to be read so easily.

''The thoughts you left me with, Ariel." His eyes watching as mine searched for his finishing words.

''Quite powerful actually.''

This office had never felt smaller.

''I had to find out who you were," he said. "Wasn't hard. I'm not surprised you work for Longsworth, your passion for the cause seemed to be more than just about working here. You tried to make yourself sound so detached from it, but I knew you weren't."

He had to find out who I was? Why did that thrill me so much?

''Well, it's good that you're here and able to see what it is we do.'' Finally, that sentence came out of me after a short spell and I stood straight-faced, appearing non-affected by his cool stare. Appearing being the operative word. Not that I could keep up appearances he couldn't see through so far. I guess that's what happens when the cold-rush through your veins shoots so fast it's not just you who feels it. It was exactly the reason I stood at Jacey's desk, picking up files to stack that weren't mine. We were done here. What else was there to say?

''As much as I want to see everything, you know damn well that's not the sole reason I'm here. I told you that,'' he told me through the rustle of this paperwork that I had no business fiddling through. I just had to look busy for my own sanity, just let me pile this mess first.

He stood silent for a second, watching me watch my busy hands like I couldn't see him too out the corner of my eye. Greco strode around the desk and I circled in the opposite direction, never more that a couple yards apart till he was at the window. At no point was he uncomfortable claiming a space in this office in the partial silhouette he became.

"I'll admit," he said calmly before facing me. "I like a woman with passion behind what she says. What she does. What she believes in. It's very telling. Says a lot about the kind of woman you are.''

I watched him lean on the window ledge. ''And what kind of woman am I?'' Somehow I cared what his opinion of me was. Not that I would be willing to admit that to anyone but myself. Even then I didn't want to.

''I'd like to find out for sure,'' he told me. His eyes cool, decidedly intimate, resting over my lips. I could so tell that was where his gaze was. That slight dip in his eyelids...

''I want to find out more about the woman behind those words.''

As if words were what he wanted from my tongue. I kept myself still. Evidently, I thought I was doing pretty well for myself so far. I didn't want to appear to be one of those girls who only had to look at a stunning man's face and hear his flattering words and all of a sudden her knickers just drop and straight-away she's all breathless and panting.

"Oh, so your earlier intuition about me has led you to no real conclusion as to the kind of woman you think I am, huh?" I teased.

He grinned. ''Well, you gave yourself away earlier, that was the easy part. I doubt you'd be so quick to give yourself away this time. Not in the kind of scenario I'm thinking of.''

My eyes widened. He laughed. ''You can't fool me, you're not that coy.''

''Like you'd know that.''

''I'll know soon.''

"If you're not familiar with disappointment Mr. Greco, you'd better get acquainted with it because I'm not going with you on Friday evening. So there goes you wanting to find out more about me." How defiant could I sound without lifting my chin and folding my arms?

"Oh, you'll go." He was assured. "You're not that selfish."

"You're making statements definitively but you know nothing about me."

"You think mentoring kids is a selfish thing to do?"

He found that out too? Damn. He got me.

"Or maybe it's just that you need this job."

I swallowed. I did. "Everybody does." I settled with saying instead. "There's no roof I can keep over my head without one."

He was quiet and stared me out for a few seconds. For a second I wondered if he could sense how much a roof over my head with mail sent to a single address for more than six months actually meant to me.

"In that case you should quit fighting me." He shrugged. "It's really not in your best interests and you know it. You got this place to think about. And your roof."

Or maybe not.

"Blackmail?"

He smiled. ''No, it's not called blackmail. It's called inevitable."

"You make it sound like a perfume."

He laughed. It got to me how much of a dish he was when he laughed. The moment he looked past my shoulder at the distraction behind me through the window-wall, I caught myself.

The uncomfortable feeling of realising I'd been staring at him took me unawares. Luckily, he too was unaware that the glimmer that caught the nickel of his eyes stayed with me even though it had dimmed. Of course, it had to be that exact moment that a file slipped from my hand, which I was quick to pick up before he could help. I was fine, totally in control. I'd make sure not to lose my focus this time despite him rising the moment Jacey looked to be making her way back.

"Don't be so sure of me," I told him as I straightened up ready for Jacey's return.

"I'll be what I want." He edged to my side. Jacey was inches from the door. "But it's me I'm sure of," he said close, and not caring. "No matter how hard you try to fight me, you'll be on my arm on Friday night.''

Jacey twisted the handle.

"I guarantee it."

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

3.9M 179K 130
The Devil's Love Series Book 1: Tempt the Devil; Book 2: Playing with Fire; Book 3: Queen of Hell; Book 4: Shadow of Death. (All stories contained in...
That Night Per Kurumi

Misteri / Suspens

40 5 9
In "That Night," readers are drawn into a world where passion and darkness collide, weaving a tale of forbidden desire and seductive allure. Set with...
Jagged Embrace Per Ryana Hunter

Literatura romàntica

1.8K 55 82
Maeve is still adjusting to her new life with Will and Ander, steeped in monsters and violence. Her own powers are still a mystery to her. Fear holds...
394 15 11
Lucy has always been into the occult. She grew up on horror movies as a child and never grew out of it. When she and her best friend Mina realize the...