Fixing the Future

By hollyb84

Alyssa Granger lost a lot during the war and so when her and Luna Lovegood are thrown back in time, it may ju... More

War is Raging
Aren't you dead?
Sorted!
Introductions
Wood
First Lesson
Patronus times three
Swimming
Boggarts
Liam
Blacks Back Together
Sorting Memories
Letter
Werewolf
Truth
1.1
1.2
1.3
A/N
1.4
1.5
1.6
1.7
1.8
A/N
1.9
2.0
2.1
2.2
A/N
2.4
2.5
2.6
2.7
2.8
2.9
Coffee
3.0
3.1
3.2
3.3
3.4
3.5
3.6
3.7
3.8
3.9
4.0
4.1
4.2
4.3
Detentions and gossip
4.4
4.5
4.6
4.7
4.8
4.9
5.0
5.1
5.2
5.3
5.4
5.5
5.6
5.7
5.8
5.9
6.0
6.1
6.2
6.3
6.4
6.5
6.6
6.7
6.8
6.9
7.0
7.1
7.2
7.3
7.4
7.5
7.6
7.7
7.8
7.9

2.3

6.4K 204 20
By hollyb84

The next morning, Hedwig was sat on a chair.
'Harry, wake up! Come on, wake up!'
He rose from Harry's bed and dashed down to the common room to meet Ron.

'Yay, it's Christmas!' Xeno grinned.

'Happy Christmas, Harry.'
'Happy Christmas, Ron. What are you wearing?'
'My mum made it. Looks like you've both got one, too.'

'Aw, that's so sweet! She doesn't even know him and she's giving him a present.' Alice awed and Lily and James made mental notes to thank her later.

'I've got presents?'

Everyone was silent with sadness for a minute. Andy muttered,
'That's so sad.'
'This time round we'll be sure to buy him lots of presents.' Lily decided.
'Don't give him too many or he may turn into his cousin.' Barty said but shut his mouth at Lily's glare.

'Yeah. There they are.'
Harry rushed to his presents excitedly, grabbing the biggest one.
'"Your father left this in my possession before he died. It is time it was returned to you. Use it well."'
The two of them look at each other confused.

'Is that what I think it is?' James said excitedly. Sirius replied,
'If it is then it's going to expose all our pranking secrets.'
'Oh shit.' James gasped in realisation and the others stared at the marauders with intrigue whilst Luna commented,
'I wonder who gave it to him.'
She knew what it was but she had never been told who gifted it to Harry.

Harry opened the package, revealing a rather large piece of fabric. He unfolded it before him and looked at it.
'What is it?'
'Some kind of cloak.'
'Well, let's see, then. Put it on.'

The marauders stared grinning to everyone's- except the future duo-  confusion.

Harry put the cloak on, only for his body to disappear.
'Whoa!'
'My body's gone!'
'I know what that is. That's an invisibility cloak.'

'I love that thing.' James sighed. Everyone turned to face him in awe. Frank asked,
'You have an invisibility cloak.'
'I guess the secret's out, but yea.'
'Wow! That's so cool- aren't they really rare.' Andy said, gaining a nod from James.
'Is that how you prank everyone constantly then and sneak out without getting caught.' Marlene queried and he nodded once more.

'I'm invisible?'
'They're really rare. Wonder who gave it to you.'
'There was no name. It just said..."Use it well."'

'Why do I feel as if he'll use it to cause trouble and put himself in more danger?' Bella said and Remus surprising agreed with her,
'I get that.'
Alyssa responded,
'Cos Harry's an idiot. I mean he's lovely bless him, but he has a knack for rushing headlong into problems without stopping to think first. One of the worse Gryffindor traits.'
'A true Gryffindor.' Luna agreed.

At night, Harry's hand was holding a lantern, walking under the cloak in the library. Harry was underneath it, scanning the shelves as he made their way to the restricted section.

Lily and Remus cursed respectfully and the other marauders grinned. James happily exclaimed,
'That's my son!' And Lily smacked his arm,
'Really James? You shouldn't encourage this, he should be enjoying his education not trying to solve a mystery about some three-headed dog!'

Evan commented,
'Well to be fair, he is in the library- if he's Potter's kid you should be grateful he's even reading.'
James frowned slightly,
'I can't tell whether that's an insult of a compliment but if it was a compliment then thank you and you should all listen to Rosier.'
Evan snorted and Lily groaned. Regulus suddenly said,
'Evans I think that's the first time you've called Potter James.'
There was a moment of silence as they thought about this observation before Lily spluttered,
'W-what, no I didn't. I called him Potter, you must of misheard me.'
Sirius gave a dog-like bark of laughter,
'Nope! Dear Reggie is right, oh Prongsie I'm so proud of you!'

James stood with a stupid grin of his face and Lily flushed red. The marauders were laughing and the rest were watching in amusement, especially Alyssa. However, Severus was scowling deeply at the sight.

They came upon the restricted section, unlocked it and walked in to a specific bookshelf.
'Famous fire-eaters. 15th-century fiends. Flamel. Nicholas Flamel. Where are you?'
He took the cloak off, looking closely at the books. Harry grabbed one, opening it, when the pages form a face and start screaming.
'AHHHHHHH!'

Everyone jumped in shock and Lily and Remus- the readers of the group- made mental notes to never go near that book.

Harry closed the book and put it back.
'Who's there?'

'Shit.' Alice swore.

Harry turned around frightened, quickly grabbing the cloak, breaking the lantern. He rushed away, only to stop when he heard Filch again.
'I know you're in there. You can't hide.'
Harry put the cloak himself, shielding him from all eyes. Filch came around the corner, lantern in hand.
'Who is it? Show yourself!'

Harry hid in between the bookcases, watching as Filch passed. He slipped past him, leaving the library, and walking down the hallway. Only to see Mrs. Norris, who made her way towards him. He quickly make his way in the other direction, when he come across Snape pinning Quirrell to the wall.

Almost everyone looked at Severus suspiciously and the man himself looked worried.

'Severus, I thought...'
'You don't want me as your enemy, Quirrell.'
'Wh-what do y-you mean?'
'You know perfectly well what I mean.'

Snape stopped, turning to Harry as if he knew he was there. Harry backed up as he reached out and attempts to grab him, Harry covered his mouth, only to miss and turn back to Quirrell.'
'We'll have another little chat soon, when you've had time to decide where your loyalties lie.'

'That's sus.' Barty said.

'Oh. Professors, I found this in the restricted section. It's still hot. That means there's a student out of bed.'
Snape, Filch, and Quirrell then darted off, while the door at the end of the hallway was seemingly opened and closed by no one. Harry then took off the cloak. Harry then notices something in the room, a mirror. Harry walked closer to it. As he stood in front of it, he looked at the top, finding and engraving at the top. He both then walked closer, as two figures began to appear in the mirror.

Everyone gasped and stared in shock at the the mirror where Lily and James stood. Tears came to some of their eyes and Lily looked devastated. Alyssa looked sadly at her friend's longing gaze fixed on his parents and felt a wave of sadness wash over her, and then guilt that she got to see them and not him.

Harry turned, only to see no one. He looked back at the mirror, seeing the adults look who looked just like him.
'Mum?'
Mirror-Lily smiled and nodded. 'Dad?'
Mirror-James smiled and nodded too. Harry caressed the mirror, looking at it sadly. Mirror-Lily placed her hand on Harry's right shoulder, as Mirror-James placed his hand on his left shoulder. Harry reached for his shoulder, only to find nothing. He  turned back to the mirror though, smiling as he looked at their parents.

'That's so sad.' Cissy whispered, wiping a stray tear from her cheek. The marauders turned to James sadly only to stop when they saw the shiteating grin on his face,
'Prongs buddy, you okay.' Remus asked carefully. He turned to them,
'Okay?  I'm great! Did you see me? I'm fine as fuck. Damn I aged well.'

The all stared at him is disbelief, the marauders smiling and Alyssa laughing. Lily fought a small smile.

Harry burst through the door to the boys dorm, heading straight for Ron excitedly.
'Ron, you've really got to see this! Ron! Ron, come on! Get out of bed!'
'Why?'
'There's something you've got to see. Now come on!
Harry and Ron then made it to where the mirror was held.
'Come on. Come. Come look. It's our parents.'
'I only see us.'
'Look in properly. Go on, stand there.'
'There. You see them, don't you?' 'That's me, only I'm head boy, and I'm holding the quidditch cup.'

'Wait what?' Marlene said in confusion, voicing most people's thoughts.

Harry looked confused and a bit crestfallen.
'What?'
'And bloody hell! I'm quidditch captain, too. I look good. Harry, do you think this mirror shows the future?'
'How can it? Both my parents are dead.'
Harry sat in front of the mirror the following night, gazing at it, not noticing Dumbledore standing behind them.
'Back again, Harry? I see that you, like so many before you, have discovered the delights of the Mirror of Erised. I trust by now you two realize what it does. Let me give you a clue. The happiest man on Earth would look into that mirror and see only himself exactly as he is.'
'So then it shows us what we want? Whatever we want?'
'Not quite. It shows us nothing more or less than the deepest and most desperate desires of our hearts. Now you, Harry, who have never known your family, you see them standing beside you.'

Everyone looked sad once more.

'But remember this, Harry- This mirror gives us neither knowledge or truth. Men have wasted away in front of it, even gone mad. That is why tomorrow it will be moved to a new home. And I must ask you not to go looking for it again. It does not do to dwell on dream, Harry, and forget to live.'

Harry nodded, Dumbledore smiled grandfatherly before leaving. Harry then looked at the mirror once more before walking away.

'He's gonna find the mirror again, isn't he?' Regulus said and Alyssa grinned and said with a nod,
'Yup!'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 35 9
Just some fanfic and oneshots of the Marauders! Hope you enjoy, and please leave comments and constructive feedback! [All characters belong to JK Row...
80.4K 2.1K 17
||Contains SCORBUS boyxboy|| -This story has nothing to do with the plot from the cursed child. I wrote this before that was published.- UNDER REVISI...
26.9K 385 24
(Temporarily Discontinued) Hermione Granger had enough. When she dies saving the wizarding world in The Battle Of Hogwarts, she wants a second chance...
78.7K 889 60
What happened during the Marauder Era. Disclaimer: there a little bit of cursing , innuendos, and all around not appropriateness. This is also my fir...