THE GREAT PRETENDER ¬ ACOTAR

By ungodIy-

❝ we're all great pretenders, aren't we? ❞ (pre-acotar to acowar) (eventual azriel x fem!oc) (ungodly- [2021]) More

THE GREAT PRETENDER
act i. ― FINDING HOME
chapter i.
chapter ii.
chapter iii.
chapter iv.
chapter v.
chapter vi.
chapter vii.
chapter viii.
chapter ix.
chapter x.
act ii ― FAR FROM HOME
chapter xi.
chapter xii.
chapter xiii.
chapter xiv.
chapter xv.
chapter xvi.
chapter xvii.
chapter xviii.
chapter xix.
chapter xx.
act iii - FINALLY HOME
chapter xxi.
chapter xxii.
chapter xxiii.
chapter xxiv.
chapter xxv.
chapter xxvi.
chapter xxvii.
chapter xxviii.
chapter xxix.
chapter xxx.
chapter xxxii.
chapter xxxiii.
chapter xxxiv.

chapter xxxi.

2.5K 141 12
By ungodIy-

*    · .      ✺        ✧ .   ✵  *   *    · .        ✵  *       ✫  *   .   ·          ⊹    ✺    .     ✧     ✦    ✫   .   ✫  * .               ·    ⊹    ✺ .        ✧ .   ✦    ✫   .  .

CHAPTER XXXI

CIVIL

"HEARD YOU AND AZ GOT A BIT OF A SCUFFLE," Cassian plops on the spot beside her on the couch. "Tell me about it."

Before she knew it, Vik slumped right on the couch as well, "I'd like to know too."

"And I'd like to read in peace," Cal didn't even look up from her book.

"What are you reading this early in the morning anyw—" he tilts his head to look at the title on the spine, "Oh no, Naturale Flames? Are you serious?"

"It's called a classic, Cassian."

"A classic piece of shit!"

She closed her book shut and stood, "I'm getting breakfast."

Like loyal dogs, the two also stood and followed her to the dining room. There they saw Azriel sitting down next to Mor. "Oh boy, here we go," Vik utters.

Callaghan practically ignored his presence. If he was going to be stubborn and petty, she could play his game too.

They ate in silence until Cassian exclaimed, "What the hell?"

Rhys, Feyre, and Amren fell to the carpet, spraying sand and water everywhere. The beach, she was probably near the book that night. But then again, the beach was large, she may still be very far.

She and the others all stood from their seats, demanding explanations. Feyre told them about the Tithe with the water wraiths and how she helped them.

Then she and Amren started laughing. Brows furrowed, she and Vik shared a look. Honestly, she was very confused. The two women only stopped when Rhysand said, "Ladies."

They stood and with a snap of Amrens fingers, they were both clean and dry. Feyre took out the book from her pocket.

A bit anticlimactic, Callaghan thought to herself. It looked more like an old box than a book. It began to speak when Feyre touched it. Its voice bringing chills into Cal's back.

When the book clicked open, Cassian's eyes were dark, "I never want to hear that voice again."

"Well, you will," Rhys' voice was bland as he lifted up the lid. "Because you're coming with us to see those mortal queens as soon as they deign to visit."

In the box was not paper or leather, it was pieces of metal with an unknown language written on it. Cal saw Amren stare at it and paled at the sight. Her eyes flickered to the silver-eyed female's hands but Amren placed it smoothly in her pockets.

That was why he brought Amren, he figured she might know what it meant or she could understand the ancient language.

Rhysand played dirty, again. He didn't tell Amren the real reason he brought her there.

Callaghan gripped on her fork tightly. It was no weapon, but it was a good enough distraction if it came to. She didn't listen too much to their conversations, only kept an eye on Amren. Preparing in case she struck. She only relaxed when she was sure Amren wasn't going to burst out anytime soon.

Soon, they returned back to their breakfast while Amren told the story of how they got the book. It was hidden in a temple, only visible when low tide. Cal was glad that they all came back safe, but the missing piece about Tarquin bothered her. Did the High Lord know they left early? That they stole from him?

──────────────────────────────

"WHAT WAS IT?" Callaghan fell into step with Azriel after he delivered a box to Rhys. He barely even acknowledged her. "The box, Azriel. What was it?"

"Blood rubies," he finally answered, "Tarquin knew they stole from him."

"How did Rhys take it?"

"Not good."

"Lord Tarquin wanted an alliance," Cal said, massaging her temples, "And Rhys is blaming himself for ruining it."

He looked at her, face unmoving, "Tell me something I don't know."

"Unbelievable," she lets out a dry laugh, "You're still mad at me?"

Azriel stared at her silently.

She stood straight, eyes sharp, "Come back to me when you're civil. I can't deal with two brooding Illyrians today."

Turns out, she only had to deal with one, since Feyre was successful in keeping Rhys from wallowing in his darkened mood.

──────────────────────────────

AZRIEL went to the mortal realm often, and Cal visited her spies day by day, gathering as much information as she could. She and the spymaster kept it civil, just like she told him. Everyone noticed how the two would ignore each other when given the chance. She would report to him, and that was their only interaction for days.

While Azriel busied himself with scouting and spying; if she had the time, Cal kept an eye on Feyre everytime she trained. Occasionally, she had to be the punching bag for the girl. Callaghan didn't mind the pain, she needed it. Using it a distraction from the silence the shadowsinger gave her.

Fortunately, she had convinced Cassian to take her with him to visit the Archeron mansion. They landed on the backyard of the estate where Nesta, the eldest, came out with her chin up high.

"Another of your sentinels?" Nesta jutted her chin towards the hooded Callaghan.

"No," the spy placed her hood down, offering a small smile, "Just a friend."

"Any reply from the queens?" Cassian cut to the chase, walking towards Nesta.

"None."

"Well then," he takes out another letter from Rhys, "Send this to them."

The eldest Archeron continued to glare at Cassian as she snatched the letter away from his hands. She didn't even spare a glance at them when she entered back in the mansion.

Callaghan briefly saw the other sister — Elain — through the door as Nesta walked in. She was beautiful — the innocent and shy type of beauty.

"She's pretty," she told Cassian as they flew back to Prythian. "Intimidating, but pretty."

"A wolf, that one," Cas said, a scowl evident in his face.

"And the other, the sheep?"

The way she said it amused the General, "Are you like that because Az likes her?"

Cas' smile dropped when she answered, "So what if I am?"

He wasn't expecting that answer from her. He thought that she'll dodge the question as always, "Cal, I—"

"Weeks, Cas," she sounded frustrated, "He hasn't spoken to me in weeks. Sure we talk, but it's purely professional. I hate it."

Cassian softened, "Sweetheart, he just doesn't want you hurt."

Callaghan was fuming again, she wordlessly winnowed them right in the skies of Velaris.

"Then why train me at all?" She said once they landed on the House, "I train to fight, and a fight means getting hit, getting hurt."

"Callaghan," Cas tried to calm her down.

"Weeks of silent treatment is just petty, even for him, especially for a single mission, where I came out alive by the way. Why can't he trust that I can do it? That I can stay alive? That I know what to do? He's just so damn tiring!"

By the time she was done talking, she let out a deep breath. It felt good spewing out her feelings like that.

"Did you get all that?" Cal said, her eyes never leaving Cas, but she saw Azriel land ever so gracefully on the space beside them at the corner of her eye. He definitely heard all of that.

──────────────────────────────

[ notes! ]

i literally have no idea where this is going pls forgive me :>

*    · .      ✺        ✧ .   ✵  *   *    · .        ✵  *       ✫  *   .   ·          ⊹    ✺    .     ✧     ✦    ✫   .   ✫  * .               ·    ⊹    ✺ .        ✧ .   ✦    ✫   .  .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55K 1.5K 45
𝚛𝚑𝚢𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚍'𝚜 𝚜𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚡 𝚊𝚣𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚕 ͙⁺˚*・༓☾  ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ 𝙱𝚎𝚐𝚒𝚗𝚜 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚜 𝚗𝚒𝚙𝚙𝚎𝚝𝚜 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚊𝚝𝚋𝚘𝚢𝚜 𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚍𝚑...
46.4K 2.6K 40
𝚃𝚊𝚖𝚕𝚒𝚗'𝚜 𝚜𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚡 𝙵𝚎𝚢𝚜𝚊𝚗𝚍 ✯¸.•'*¨'*•✿ ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯ 𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚕𝚊, 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚏 𝚃𝚊𝚖𝚕𝚒𝚗 𝚑�...
3.9K 240 7
"𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐨𝐡 𝐆𝐨𝐝, 𝐃𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞, 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 �...
206K 8.9K 86
Aoife Vanserra, daughter of the High Lord of Autumn Court, Beron, had been living safely in Spring Court since her family was taken Under the Mountai...