ALICE

By Firdosefk

Alice in wonderland? Knave of hearts? No, not the story you are familiar with. Alice Vincent is not an ordina... More

CHAPTER 1- GHOST SQUAD
CHAPTER 2- TIME TICKS FORWARD
CHAPTER 3- UNEXPECTED GUEST
CHAPTER 4- A PROMISE IN THE DARK
CHAPTER 5- KNAVE
CHAPTER 6- BIRTHDAY
CHAPTER 7- TRUST
CHAPTER 8- SHADOW
CHAPTER 9- GIFT
CHAPTER 10- BOUND
CHAPTER 11- GOOD WITCH
CHAPTER 12- MENDALINE
CHAPTER 13- MARIA
CHAPTER 14- POWERS
CHAPTER 15- ONE STEP CLOSER
CHAPTER 16- RESPONSIBILITY
CHAPTER 17- CHARITY
CHAPTER 18- FUN
CHAPTER 19- TRAPPED SOULS
CHAPTER 20- LOYALTY
CHAPTER 21- DECEPTION
CHAPTER 22- LOSS
CHAPTER 23- TRUTH UNFOLDS
CHAPTER 24- SAVIOUR
CHAPTER 25- GOODBYE
EPILOGUE
WRITER'S NOTE!!!

PROLOGUE

249 25 14
By Firdosefk

"ALICE!"

Alice Vincent turned at the sound of her name, and saw her ghost friend Maria drift towards her, across the London winds.

It was not unusual for Alice to see ghosts. She had spent her whole life with them in secret. It was her only secret. Not that she had not tried telling anyone. She had tried many times to tell her mother, but had always ended up being called a prankster.

Alice was seven years old when she had first seen Maria. Transparent, really pretty with her golden eyes and red hair, that was always tied in a beautiful bun. She dressed in a gown which seemed way out of fashion for the 2000s. Alice had been in the park with her mother Sophie. It had been just a brief meeting then, a vague memory.

Then, at the age of nine, she had seen her again. This time, outside her house. "Remember me?" Maria had asked.

"You do look familiar, but I am sorry I do not quite remember," Alice had replied.

"Alice darling, who are you talking to?" Her mother, Sophie Vincent had asked. She had hazel eyes and golden hair, both of which were passed on to Alice.

"Mama, her!" Alice had said pointing towards Maria, who was still drifting a few feet above the ground, smiling.

"Don't be silly Alice, surely this is no time for pranks!" Sophie had scolded.

"But mama..," Alice had begun to protest, but Maria had cut her off. 

"She will not see me." Maria had said, with an apologetic smile.

That was the first time Alice had realized she could see things no one else could see, not even her mother. The thought should've scared her but for some reason, it had not. Since then, Maria had been stuck with her like a shadow. Not that Alice minded. She never had any friends, and her parents were hardly home.

Alice's father Evan Vincent, was a 'successful businessman,' who often had to travel around the world for his work. Alice had always wondered what work did he possibly do, that kept him away from his family for weeks. Sometimes even months. Evan was a short-tempered man, with a hard jaw and set face, just like his daughter. Though unlike Alice, he had black eyes and brown hair.

"Papa, I will behave, but please take me with you!" pleaded six-year-old Alice, who had grown tired of seeing her father so less.

"Alice, when you grow old enough we will join him too, but for now you will stay with me here in London!" Sophie had said in a firm voice, that had meant no more arguments from her or her father. Evan had looked at Alice apologetically but had said nothing.

Since then, her father only visited twice a year, and her mother made herself busy in their local flower shop. Alice had suspected it was because of a shortage of money. However, as she grew older, she realized it was to divert Sophie's attention from worrying about her husband.

Before Maria had arrived, Alice had been on the edge of losing her mind. She had never been scared of her even then. Which was why when she had come to her bedroom that night, after their rather short meeting outside her house, she was kind of eager to meet her again.

"I am rather sorry your mother did not believe you," Maria had said, genuinely looking apologetic.

"It's alright, not like it's your fault." Alice had replied, trying to give her best smile. "So, what are you?" She had asked.

"What do you think?" Maria had replied, indicating herself with her hands.

Alice had eyed her thoughtfully, then finally said, "My friend!"

Maria had looked as if she could not believe what she was hearing. She had remained floating without saying a word for so long, that Alice had wondered if she had said something to offend her. 

Then suddenly, Maria had burst out crying. "Oh, how long I had wanted a friend!" she had finally said, in between sobs.

Alice had tried her luck and had proceeded to hug her, but as she had suspected, she had passed right through her. Alice never tried it again from that day. Mostly, to avoid the sad look on her friend's face when she could not.

From that day, as soon as Alice used to be done with school and all her other work, she would rush to Maria who would come as soon as she called out. Maria never disturbed her during school. Apparently, even ghosts cared about education.

"How old are you?" Alice had asked Maria one day, as she had sat down after a long day of house chores. Maria had always looked about twenty to her.

"Do you know it is bad manners to ask a lady her age, Alice?" Maria had said in a sharp voice, though there had been a playful smile on her lips.

Alice had waved her hand. "I did know that, but I do not think it makes any sense. There is no need to ever be shameful of anything about yourself."

Maria had looked at her with pride. "I am twenty-two." She had then replied. Alice had been happy at first, her guess was so close. Then, it had struck her just how young Maria was.

Alice wanted to know all about Maria's life but had never pushed her. One thing she had learnt from Maria, was to respect privacy. She decided that until Maria would not tell her, she would not ask. Other than that, Maria was really easy to talk to. She seemed to know all gossip and the latest news, and would always tell Alice all of it.

"The best part is that no one realized I was there!" said Maria now, sounding proud of herself. Alice felt guilty, she had not heard a single word Maria had been saying. Her face must have given it away, because Maria said, "You have not heard a single word I have been saying, did you?" She demanded, shooting her an exasperated look.

Alice smiled, showing all her teeth. It was a smile she used whenever she had to convince Sophie about something. It always worked on her mother, and Alice discovered it seemed to work on everyone else she met.

"Typical Alice! Where did you disappear this time?" Asked Maria, who now looked a little less angry.

'Into the past! ' Thought Alice. Instead, she said, "Where else would Alice be, if not Wonderland?"

Maria rolled her eyes. She always hated comparing Alice with the book character. "You are far better and clever than to just run behind a white rabbit in dreams!" She had always said.

Maria sighed now. "Come Alice, it is getting dark and we better head home." They had come out for their usual evening walk, and to get some fresh air.

Alice absently tried to hold Maria's hand though when she did, her hand passed right through Maria's, and she stumbled. Maria did not seem to notice. She went on telling Alice how nice it was to pass through solid walls.

Alice quickly regained herself. She had never been able to touch any ghosts she normally saw. Never, except that one time.

It was the night of her sixteenth birthday. She had fought with her mother, during dinner. The reason being Sophie's absence in Alice's life.

"I thought today would be different and for once you would come home early!" Alice had shouted, before she had stormed off. "Do not follow me!" She had said, pausing at the kitchen door, looking at not her mother, but at Maria who had stopped right away. Though Alice had noticed Sophie flinch a little. She had quickly walked away, before she could start feeling guilty. After all, sixteenth birthdays only came once.

After walking a little distance away, Alice had realized Maria had not followed her. That was one of the many reasons she loved her. Maria knew when she needed her space.

Then Alice realized that somehow, she had made her way into the woods and was lost. 'Definitely a memorable sixteenth birthday!' she had thought bitterly.

Alice had run around in circles in the dark, for what had felt like hours. Just when she had thought it could not get worse, her leg had caught on something and she had fallen hard on the ground. She had tried to sit up but an unbearable pain had shot through her back, forcing her to stay down. She had been lying on her back, with her face up towards the sky and her hair fully muddy.

"An hour in the bathroom it is!" Alice had said to herself. She had pretty long hair, almost reaching her knees. She had let it grow with the hope that this at least, might get her mother's attention. Sophie though, had barely noticed. 

Alice had given up hope her father might ever return. She had not seen him ever since she had turned thirteen.

"Do you think he has moved on and left us, Maria?" Alice had asked Maria once. Her friend had just given her one of her best smiles, and had then offered her some cake, which she had promised was bought and was not just made to disappear from a store.

Maria would find her in the woods, Alice had known. Though how long she would have to wait and how, she had no idea. Alice had closed her eyes, trying hard not to think about what lived in the woods.

"Seems like an odd place for a nap!" An amused voice had suddenly said.

Alice had immediately opened her eyes, looking directly into a pair of blue eyes staring at her. Alice hardly got spooked. Staying with ghosts did that. The guy who had been standing in front of her though, was startling. He had looked about nineteen or twenty. His eyes were sea blue, he had pure black hair and a charming smile. He had been dressed in a Tux. Even more odd, was the fact that he had worn such clothes in the middle of the woods.

 Caught off guard, Alice had tried to sit up, only to cry out in pain.

The boy had looked a little surprised, as if he had not expected her to hear him. He had remained standing, his gaze fixed on her. He had almost looked like a statue, unmoving.

This was enough to anger Alice, who had said, "Seems like an odd time to freeze! the least you could do is help!"

The boy, as if coming to his senses, had offered a hand. Smile back on his face. She had grabbed his hand, warm and soft against hers. This time he had looked really shocked. "Are you alright?" He had asked, gently helping her lean against a tree.

"Yes, of course I am! I mean I might've broken my spine, I cannot stand much less walk, but I am fine!" Alice had replied, giving him one of her deadliest stares.

He had laughed, and it had sounded like soft music in the dead of the night. "What is your name?" He had asked.

Alice knew telling a stranger, who roams around the woods at night wearing a suit, her name was ridiculous and unwise, but there had been something trustworthy about him. 

"Alice!" She had finally said.

He had looked at her thoughtfully for a long time, which had made Alice unable to say anything. "Well, I am Knave Wentworth, thanks for asking." He had said, breaking the silence.

"You never gave me a chance! I was getting to that," Alice had pointed out, which had been true. His stare had made her so uncomfortable, which had been odd. No one had ever made her feel uncomfortable before.

 Alice had found it weird to have Knave be in the same parts of the woods, as she was in. 'Maybe he is lost too?' she had thought. Though from the way he had been smiling at her, she had highly doubted it. 

Alice was about to ask him if he knew a way out, when she had heard a familiar voice call out, "ALICE!" It was Maria.

"Well, this just proves that my guess was right as always," Knave had said. "You can indeed see ghosts!" His voice had been so full of humour, that Alice had thought he was joking, but when he had vanished in thin air just like ghosts did, she had known he had indeed been serious.

"Thank goodness!" Maria had said, reaching her the second Knave had vanished. "I was worried sick!" Maria had begun, pausing when she saw Alice in pain. Her face had changed from anger to worry in a matter of seconds. "How will I manage to get you home?" She had said worriedly.

As if on cue, Sophie had emerged from behind a tree, much to Alice's surprise, and had hugged her. "I am so sorry, my darling!" her mother had whispered in her ear.

All anger built up inside Alice had melted away, as she had hugged her mother back. They had stood a moment like that with Maria hovering at their side, before finally returning home.

That night, Alice could not help but think about Knave. How could he have been a ghost? he had looked entirely human to her, unlike Maria who was transparent. How had she touched him? Something Alice had never been able to do despite being with Maria for so long.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

278 5 26
Aidan Summers thought he had the best job any young scientist would die for; working at a state-of-the-art laboratory and doing what he loved, while...
1.8K 444 80
Why does Kat feel she knows Will when she's never met him before? Or has she? Kat has been too busy fighting the demons of her past to focus on love...
684 59 26
MK liked to call herself the minor character in everyone else's story. She didn't mind it, in fact she preferred it. After summoning a demon with utm...
1.2M 36.2K 55
{Book 1 of the Weakness Trilogy} "Welcome to New Neverland." "Neverland? You must be off your block, this is Storybrooke." "Not anymore love." ~ Once...