Married to the Villainous Duke

By RaeAnhedoniac

Completed: March 2, 2022 After getting hit by a truck, she wakes up in the world of a romance novel and becom... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36: The Harvest Ball
Chapter 37: Unescapable Fate
Chapter 38: Birth and Rebirth
Chapter 39: Spring Returns
Chapter 40: The End
Special Chapter

Chapter 18

4.4K 155 11
By RaeAnhedoniac

"I hope you'll have a safe journey back to the Dukedom," Tisha says as she gives a hug to Estelle.

"Thank you, Tisha."

"You have to stay at the Imperial Palace when you visit the Capital again this summer, okay Estelle? It's going to be even more fun especially with all the festivities we're doing for the Empire's founding anniversary!" Mitch tells her.

"Yes, I will."

Estelle gives her two friends one last farewell wave before going into the carriage. The Duke is already waiting for her inside. I'll definitely miss the twins, she thinks as she takes the seat right next to him.

"It's going to be another long and tiring trip back to Blanchard," Nikolaidis speaks as the carriage begins moving.

He turns to look at her with a grin, "but I'm glad we don't have to do it in silence, unlike before."

She smiles in return but her mind is filled with worry. Now that we have plenty of time to talk, I have a lot to tell Niko. But, I don't know where to start. Should I tell him about my forthcoming death first?

"Niko, can I ask you about some stuff?"

"Of course, my love."

She blushes from his sudden utterance of 'my love'. She's still not used to this term of endearment that he decided for her.

"What do you know about witches?"

"Well, witches are women who use forbidden magic. Most of them use it to curse and deceive people for money while others do fortune telling rituals that are prohibited by the empire."

"Why is fortune telling not allowed?" Estelle gulps. Having knowledge about the future is actually a form of witchcraft? This is extremely bad news for me!

"Because looking into the future is believed to be going against the will of the gods."

"And what happens to a witch?"

"There will be a trial to judge whether she's really one and, if proven, she will be burned alive in front of a temple."

He shakes his head in dismay before continuing, "you really lost all your memories, even your knowledge about our Empire's beliefs. Maybe I should become your tutor instead of Abenant?"

"No! No need to do that, Niko. You're already so busy managing the Dukedom."

"But why are you suddenly asking about witches, Estelle?"

"Um, I'm just curious..."

He cocks his head to the side, trying to read her mind. She gazes at him innocently while he studies her face. Now that I know this, I don't think I should tell him about my death.

"Is there something you wish to tell me, my love?

She turns away from him and stares out the window. The pine tree forest pass by in a green blur. They're already outside the Capital and it'll take half a day of travelling to get to the Blanchard Duchy. She's afraid he'll misinterpret her expression and needlessly worry for her. I don't want to share this burden with Niko. It's better if we spend the time we have together without a dark cloud looming over us.

Estelle feels his hands wrapping around her from behind. He whispers in her ear, "I'll still love you even if you're a witch."

His tone was half-joking but she knew he was also saying it sincerely. I think he does deserve to know the truth about where I'm really from.

"Niko, what if I told you I'm not from this world?"

"What do you mean?"

She faces him with a serious look, "this will sound crazy and I won't blame you if you won't believe me. Actually, I'm-."

Estelle couldn't finish her sentence as the carriage abruptly halts, making her almost topple. Nikolaidis catches her before she could fall down.

"Are you alright, love?" He helps her return to the seat.

She nods, "yes, I'm okay. Why did we stop?"

Stefano, the orange-haired knight who's Nikolaidis aide and she also assumes is like the second in command, knocks on the door and opens it, "apologies, your excellency. A large tree that has fallen is blocking the road. We're already moving it out of the way."

"Tell the coachman to drive more carefully, the Duchess nearly got hurt because of his recklessness," Nikolaidis tells the knight sternly.

"Understood, sire."

Stefano bows before closing the door. Nikolaidis is quite strict with his men. This side of him, which Estelle rarely sees, is very sexy. She bites her lip and tries to control her thoughts. Clean thoughts, Estelle!

Nikolaidis is preoccupied with something in the distance. His eyes widen and he immediately wraps his body around his wife, pulling her to the floor. The glass window shatters as an arrow shoots through and lands on the seat, nearly hitting the Duke's head.

"It's an ambush!" Someone shouts from outside.

"Stay crouched here," he instructs her. He kisses her forehead before stepping out of the vehicle. She could hear metal clanging and people screaming in pain.

"Don't let them get near the carriage!" She hears Nikolaidis yelling.

Her whole body is shaking from fear. What the hell is happening? Why are we being ambushed? She wants to see what's going on but heeds her husband's words. She remembers Nikolaidis isn't wearing armor unlike the other knights. I hope he doesn't get hurt!

She presses on the small button of her silver ring, transforming it to a dagger. I don't want to be helpless if I get attacked. She tries to calm herself down by concentrating on her breathing. She's still bent down on the floor of the carriage, hidden from anyone outside.

A couple of minutes pass and the commotion quiets down. Is it over? She slowly gets off the carriage, looking around to make sure it's safe. She could see that none of the Knights of the Black Order had fallen but couldn't find her husband. Where's Nikolaidis? Her heart sinks in her chest as she spots him hunched beside a lifeless body, sword in hand. His clothes soaked in blood and dirt. Is he injured?!

She clicks the dagger so it returns back into a ring before running to him, "Niko! Are you hurt?!"

She arrives by his side and examines him from head to toe. He drops the sword and flashes her a small smile, "I'm fine." 

She breathes a sigh of relief when she confirms he's unharmed.

"I want to hug you but I don't want to stain your pretty dress," he says lightheartedly.

"I don't care if it gets stained!" She hugs him, panic leaving her body. "I was so worried you'd get hurt! You weren't even wearing any armor on!"

He chuckles as he lightly caresses her black hair, "I think you're forgetting that your husband is the strongest knight in the Empire."

She embraces him tighter. I don't know what I'll do if I'll lose you, Niko. 

~•~ ~•~ ~•••~ ~•~ ~•~

Nikolaidis thought the ambush was by Nathaniel and the other former personal knight guards of Estelle. After rounding up all the bodies and tying up the ones who weren't killed, he couldn't identify any of the men that attacked them. They're either a group of bandits who are only after money or mercenaries hired by someone who wishes the Duke dead.

He wants to interrogate the three survivors but Estelle's safety and comfort come first. He decides it's best if they ride to the nearest town and rest at an inn for the night so his knights can recuperate and the carriage can also get fixed.

"Go to sleep, my love," he says as he tucks in Estelle.

"You're not sleeping yet?" Her golden eyes fill with concern.

"I need to do something first. I'll be back," he reassures her.

"Don't take too long, okay?"

He nods then gives her a kiss. She pulls his head closer and deepens their kiss. He could feel tingles all over his body; he can never get enough of her. 

She lets go and says in a soft voice, "hurry back, Niko..."

He heads down to the back of the inn where his knights are waiting with their three captives. This better be quick. My wife is waiting for me in bed.

"Why did you ambush us?" He crosses his arms across his chest while glaring at them. They don't answer. He gestures for his men to prepare their swords.

"Answer the Duke or lose your head!" Stefano snaps.

"Someone wants yer dead, ya fool Duke!" One of the captives, a bearded chubby man, retorts.

"Insolent bastard!" Stefano kicks the man's head.

"Who sent you?" Nikolaidis asks.

"Mightta well be dead if we tell yer," the bearded man says and spits. Stefano beheads him immediately. Nikolaidis doesn't even flinch. This is standard procedure for them.

"How about you?" Nikolaidis eyes the other two who are now trembling in fear.

"Y-yer grace! Please, please s-spare me life!" One of them pleads. "The only thing I know is the man who hired us is very powerful in the Empire! More powerful than yer!"

"Your bearded comrade seemed to know who this person exactly is," Nikolaidis speaks.

"H-he was our leader! The only who knew! This is truth sire, truth!"

"And you?" The Duke addresses the other man who hasn't said a word.

"I know nothing, your grace," he answers without looking up at Nikolaidis.

Nikolaidis could tell these two were telling the truth, "send them to prison."

As he made his way back to the room where he and Estelle are staying, he ponders over what little information he managed to get. Someone more powerful than me? There are only a handful of nobles who are higher in rank than me: the Grand Duke, the members of the different royal families and the Imperial Family.

Over my years serving the Emperor, I stayed away from politics and forging relationships with other nobles. I really don't think I've made any enemies in the Ghesquire Kingdom nor in the entire Empire. Who would want me dead?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 107 14
Orealia is young daughter of the Duke of Redcliff. She is a child who has it all, yet when things don't go her way she ruins everything. A villainess...
3.7K 234 19
Have you ever read a book where you hated the ending so much that you wish you could change it? After a late-night book binge leads to anger when her...
531K 18.4K 75
She had only wanted to have a working marriage and a happy family. Despite that, her husband leaves her for another woman after the loss of their unb...
6M 205K 52
She has it all except his heart. She had done both amazing and ridiculous things but was still treated as a wallflower. She's been a good wife. Bu...