Moon Child

By Claire_ry

Meet Son Ye Jin, a ballerina from Daegu with a big big dream; to become a prima ballerina. Born to dance, Son... More

Prologue Moon Child
Chapter 1 Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Chapter 2 Piqué Manèges
Chapter 3 Amen
Chapter 4 Still I Cry
Chapter 5 Brava
Chapter 6 Picture Perfect
Chapter 7 Unspoken Goodbye
Chapter 8 Good Night
Chapter 9 The Red Shoes
Chapter 10 Open Palms
Chapter 11 La Vie en rose
Chapter 12 Falling like the Stars
Chapter 13 Tour en l'air
Chapter 14 Swan Girl
Chapter 15 Pressure
Chapter 16 Angel
Chapter 17 Be Still
Chapter 18 Mr. Obvious
Chapter 19 Soldier
Chapter 20 Circle of Life
Chapter 21 Time Heals
Chapter 22 Waters
Chapter 23 La La Land
Chapter 24 Point of No Return
Chapter 25 Waves in Milan
Chapter 26: Someone You Loved
Chapter 27 Invisible Scars
Chapter 28 Ice-cream
Chapter 29 Superheroes
Chapter 30 Fire on Fire
Chapter 31 Fall on Me
Chapter 32 You Raise Me Up
The Cast
The Apprentices
Chapter 33 Take Me Home
Chapter 35 The Road Ahead
Chapter 36 Waves in Seoul
Chapter 37 Stand in The Light
Chapter 38 Perfect
Chapter 38 Extended Scene
Chapter 39 Rise Up
Epilogue Swan Family
The Tiny Additions (Casting)
Author's Confessions
Fanarts:)
Bonus 1 Cookie Monster
Bonus 2 A Christmas Prince

Chapter 34 Clair de Lune

774 73 45
By Claire_ry

How curious...

It would appear her ship was sailing but when did it start?

A black Honda Vezel stopped at the traffic light junction, right next to a very familiar couple. A couple that was currently wrapped in each other's embrace as the woman hit her lover's chest teasingly.

A minute later, they had crossed the street, hand in hand, as though such an interaction was normal and long-established between them.

The pair disappeared when they turned the corner to the building as the woman in the car lowered the black-tinted window. If the couple's built didn't give them away, the Labrador leading them most certainly revealed their identity.

Things were getting increasingly curious. 

"Mdm?"

"Let's go."

Rolling the windows back up, the black Honda Vezel continued winding down the morning traffic, until it reached the prestigious company filled with immense talents.

It was another day at Seoul Royal Ballet. One could only guess what surprises were in store for them on this hopeful day.

Zooming in on the dance studio frequented by the apprentices, most, if not all of them were currently crowding around one of their own.

"Are you okay, Ye Jin? You took off yesterday." Suzy asked kindly.

"Ne. I'm fine now. I'm sorry for scaring all of you. I can't express how thankful I am towards all of you." Ye Jin bowed her head slightly.

"Aniya, this will be one adventure I can tell the next batch." Iseul joked.

Clearly, there weren't any malicious feelings amongst the apprentices. They were all simply relieved that everyone was safe and well. The new term was comparably more wholesome than the previous one with In Sun out of the picture.

Secretly, none of the apprentices missed her. She was a ball of negative energy that nobody needed nor appreciated.

With that said, Ye Jin was warmed by the friendship she had found in the apprentices. Before yesterday, she never knew that these people would so willingly jump to her defence when the situation called for it. For that, she was grateful.

"Let's start. I'll be working with the boys today. I trust the rest of you know where you should go?" Hyun Bin announced.

A chorus of yeses bounced off the walls of the dance studio before the girls slipped out of the dance studio. Before Ye Jin could leave, Hyun Bin reminded her that they would be working on her solo after the group practice.

With that, the apprentices were back to work as they danced in their respective studios.

"Let's take a before and after!" Joori suggested five minutes into their practice session.

"You and your wefies, Joori." Suzy shook her head jokingly as she sat down next to her.

"You'll thank me next time. Gather round, girls!" Joori waved her phone in the air.

Dragging Ye Jin to the group, Hyo Jin told Ye Jin exactly where to angle herself as Joori prepared the camera.

"Hana, dul, set!" The girls shouted together and the phone captured the light-hearted moment between them.

For the rest of the day, Ye Jin had a good laugh dancing with the group who was jokingly stern when it came to mistakes. Little did she know, a certain choreographer was occasionally checking in on them. He didn't have to, of course, but he wanted to. Anything for him to get a glimpse of his swan girl in her natural state; happy and carefree.

It was truly amusing every time one of the girls would catch Mr Hyun peeking in through the door. He was the reason behind their stumbles and most of their failed rehearsals.

On the boys' end, they shook their heads every time Mr Hyun left their studio. He hardly ever checks in on them when they were in the other studio. One would think he was focusing on the girls' item and not theirs.

"Whipped." Hyo Jin muttered under her breath when Hyun Bin appeared in their studio for the billionth time.

Apparently, it was difficult for him to stay away from his girlfriend. Thankfully, Hyun Bin toned down nearing his solo session with Ye Jin and the couple were back in the same studio an hour later.

They breathed.

It had been a long day without one another.

"Hi." Ye Jin smiled shyly when she walked into the dance studio.

Rocking back and forth on her pointe shoes, Ye Jin stood there as Hyun Bin walked up to her.

"Hello." He spoke, smiling like an idiot as he took her hand.

Kissing the back of her hand, the lovers straightened up and smiled at one another before he led her to the center of the dance studio.

Back in professional mode, Hyun Bin turned the knob of the speaker as he spoke to his swan. "Let's start from the second stanza."

"Ne." Ye Jin got into position, her neck long and tall whereas her hands were relaxed and folded in front of her like a swan with its wings touching each other.

The gradual build of the violin playing the soulful tunes of the Clair de Lune brought the lovers back to their time at the vacation home. Ye Jin could still remember the gentle flexing of Hyun Bin's hand beneath hers as they moved across the keyboard together.

Except now, instead of letting their fingers dance to the melody, Ye Jin was moving across the studio, using every muscle in her body to portray the peace and passive calmness of the masterpiece.

"Soft arms there. Beautiful." Hyun Bin watched Ye Jin, breathing with her and the music.

The Clair de Lune always reminded them of the quietness of the night and with that came memories of their night strolls in Italy and the way they danced together at the beach; the sanctum of their weary souls.

Ye Jin poured all her fears into her movements, letting the dance wash her with a feeling of peace as the melody swayed gently with her every breath. Truly, it was a quiet piece, not overcomplicated like some ballet pieces tend to be.

The beauty lay in the simplicity of the piece, highlighting the emotions that Ye Jin was portraying.

"Watch that gap in your sous sus, Ye Jin. Close it." Hyun Bin corrected her as she travelled gracefully across the dance studio.

Keeping her toes pointed and her posture poised, Ye Jin elegantly stepped off her pointe at Hyun Bin's command to stop.

"In that tendu derrière. Yes, gorgeous. Let me just..." Hyun Bin got down on his knees to adjust Ye Jin's position such that it would be more comfortable when she goes into a cambré.

"Now, the cambré." Hyun Bin breathed as Ye Jin bent her upper body backward. "Yes. You realise you have more support now from your legs so remember that placement of your feet."

"Ne." Ye Jin nodded her head seriously.

"Let's try that again." Hyun Bin studied Ye Jin closely before he stopped her again.

"Let's talk about hands. When you're arching back, your hands have to follow through. I want pretty hands." Hyun Bin guided Ye Jin.

Together, they did the movement, with Hyun Bin guiding Ye Jin's soft arms into the position he had in mind.

That was when Hyun Bin decided to get a little cheeky.

Right as they straightened up together, Hyun Bin twirled her around such that they were now facing each other. Snaking his arms around his girlfriend's waist, Hyun Bin started swaying gently to the rest of the piece with his swan in his arms.

Giggling shyly, Ye Jin followed his lead, trying her best to hide her flustered state as she leaned her head against Hyun Bin's chest.

Unlike their usual duets, Hyun Bin and Ye Jin were simply swaying to the beat, enjoying their short moment of solace together. There wasn't any need for technique nor the fantastic thing called muscle memory.

All they needed was love. 

To be completely surrounded by love was the most amazing feeling in the world, one that Prince Charming and his Swan Princess grew to appreciate more day by day.

It was like the feeling of coming home.

Familiar, warm, and safe.

Except this home wasn't limited to a place or a time. It was forever.

So lost in their love for each other, Son Ye Jin and Hyun Bin conveniently forgot about the fact that they were at their dance company.

Leaning in, Hyun Bin captured Ye Jin's mouth in a toe-curling, fervent kiss, allowing their lips to linger on one another before they were both kissing each other with bruising vigour.

Repeatedly they pulled back, only to crash their lips against each other time and time again. The room spun around them, as their kiss quickly grew heated in the wake of their natural desires for each other.

As natural as their intimacy was, Ye Jin and Hyun Bin were both in for a rude shock.

Knock knock

"Mr Hyun, I was told you will be-I saw nothing." Director Kim closed the door instantly when she saw the lovers having their rather emotional moment.

Jumping apart as quickly as lightning could strike the earth, Ye Jin and Hyun Bin's mind was spinning from their heated kiss as well as the unforeseen visitor. Breathless and lost, Ye Jin swallowed hard whereas Hyun Bin's eyes were wide as he looked towards the door.

Neither of them had to say anything to know that they were royally screwed. Of all the people who could have walked in on them, it had to be Director Kim. What should they do now?

Awkwardly, Director Kim opened the door after a few minutes, trying her best to maintain her usual composure as she let herself in again.

"You're dating." She stated.

A tense silence punctuated the air heavily as the three took a collective breath to dispel some of the tension.

"We are." Hyun Bin confirmed boldly, fully prepared to suffer the ramifications of breaking the company's rule.

"How long has this been going on?" Director Kim sighed tiredly.

Purposefully taking a few strides towards his girlfriend, Hyun Bin shocked them both when he grasped on tightly to Ye Jin's hand in front of their director.

"Since before the Europe tour. We know it's against the rules, Director Kim but this is all on me. I love Ye Jin." Hyun Bin spoke firmly with an air of his usual unbending confidence.

"Hyun Bin." Ye Jin protested, trying to shake his hand off but to no avail.

Instead, his hold on her tightened as proof that he didn't plan to step down from the fight.

"That's nonsense. It's on me too." Ye Jin argued, much to Hyun Bin's dismay.

It was his turn to protest as he looked incredulously at his swan whom he was trying to defend.

Shaking her head, Director Kim interjected before the couple could fight over who should be taking the blame. She expected as much from a loving couple like them after all.

"You two need to be more careful. I saw you both this morning too. As of now, I saw nothing, understood? All I saw was a choreographer helping an apprentice with her solo." Director Kim said calmly.

The couple evidently let out of sigh of relief that their director was choosing to turn a blind eye to the matter. Blushing hard, they thanked Director Kim for keeping their little secret.

There was a secret binjin shipper in their midst after all...

"Now, Mr Hyun. I came to speak to you about the apprentices' promotion. If they do well in the upcoming competition, I can guarantee that the names you've submitted will be promoted to soloists. Do me proud. I have the utmost faith in this group." Director Kim informed Hyun Bin.

"Ne. Gamsahamnida, Director Kim. I will push them to do their very best." Hyun Bin bowed his head politely.

"Have a good night, Director Kim." Ye Jin bowed as well.

The minute Director Kim left, Ye Jin turned to her boyfriend with curiosity shining on her face.

"I can't tell you." Hyun Bin said immediately.

"I know. Let's continue then." Ye Jin pouted slightly.

"Let's do that." Hyun Bin walked over to the speakers again.

"But I gave you a solo for a reason." He coughed.

A sweet smile graced Ye Jin's lips as she got into position again. Before, she was already giving her all in preparation for her solo. Now, she was even more determined to shine brightly on that stage.

She refused to let Hyun Bin down.

However, before they could continue their rehearsal, Ye Jin's phone rang, causing her to frown almost instantly. Who could that be?

"Let me get that for you, love." Hyun Bin offered, already walking to her sling bag.

Fishing out the ringing device, Hyun Bin checked the caller ID for his swan, frowning himself when he noted down the unknown number.

"Who is it?" Ye Jin asked.

"I don't know."

"Please put it on speaker."

With their heads bent over the phone, Ye Jin picked up the call. With a polite yeoboseyo, the couple's heart skipped a beat when the unknown caller clarified who they were.

"Yeoboseyo. Is this Ms Son Ye Jin?" A bright, sunny voice greeted them back.

"Ne, speaking." Ye Jin answered.

"This is the Department of Ophthalmology at Yulje Medical Center. We're calling about a potential donor."

A donor?

Ye Jin was clearly stunned by the news as her mind churned to process the news. On the other hand, Hyun Bin was already smiling from ear to ear as he slipped his arm around his girlfriend's shoulders in his excitement.

"Come again?" Ye Jin couldn't believe her ears.

Light laughter could be heard through the phone in response to her disbelief. "Ne. A patient was recently declared braindead and you're at the top of the waiting list. We are currently running tests on the cornea but if it all goes well, you can get your surgery done within the next week or so."

"That's good news! Gamsahamnida." Ye Jin was in tears as she thanked the nurse.

"Anieyo, we will call you again once the results are out. Dr Song Mi told me to inform you first. She said you will be happy. Also, I'm calling about the White Swan Programme."

"The White Swan Programme? What is that?" Ye Jin's curiosity was piqued by the rather interesting name.

"It is another foundation that the hospital has started to fund medical bills for patients who are in the ballet industry. We checked and you fulfil all the requirements to receive the funding."

"I...I don't know what to say. This feels like a dream."

"Congratulations, Ms Son. We will see you soon."

"Thank you. Goodbye."

Still in shock, Ye Jin dropped the phone, only for Hyun Bin to catch it and put it away. She knew this was real but why did it feel like a dream?

"Love?" Hyun Bin rubbed her shoulders gently.

"Am I dreaming?" Ye Jin asked, still in a daze.

"Ani, this is not a dream." Hyun Bin assured her, his eyes shining with love and excitement.

"I'm really getting a donor?"

"That you are. I'm so happy for you, my swan."

"And the foundation..." Ye Jin was left completely flabbergasted by the twist of fate.

Hyun Bin's smile deepened then, knowing that the call had lifted the burden off his girlfriend's shoulder immensely. He would have to thank his abeoji for settling the documents that quickly.

"Didn't I say you didn't have to worry about anything?" Hyun Bin teased her tenderly while cupping her face.

"Mmm, you're right." Ye Jin nodded, smiling from pure happiness.

Yet, seconds later, she was chewing on her bottom lip until Hyun Bin stopped her. "What's wrong?"

"It's just...I feel a little bad. That braindead patient...I'm thankful but I feel sad too." Ye Jin sighed.

Trust his Ye Jin to have the purest and kindest soul in the world.

"Love, I know you." Hyun Bin gently soothed away her tears. "I know you will be eternally grateful and so will I. As long as we hold on to our grateful heart, this patient's gift to you will not be forgotten."

"Mmm, I won't forget. Gomawo, Binnie. I love you." Ye Jin whispered tenderly.

"I love you too." Hyun Bin kissed his swan's forehead.

Just like that, the couple slipped back into their little bubble of peace and joy as they swayed to the Clair de Lune. Occasionally, Hyun Bin would lean down to kiss his swan's forehead while other times she would lean into his embrace.

They were happy and excited for their future together. A future that no longer seemed bleak or dark.

Suddenly, the piece grew to mean more to them, for it was now filled with hope on top of the peace it emanated.

As with life, a misfortune wouldn't remain as such forever. Sometimes, good news can be borne out of misfortune. One simply has to wait and be patient with themselves.

That is how you become stronger.

~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Hello lovelies, this was a really short filler chapter that I hope everyone enjoyed! A quick shoutout to my dear friend cmpotter for always being so willing to lend me help with the technical ballet terms. I hope I didn't butcher them in the end. She's also the brain behind the White Swan Programme! The next chapter will hopefully be up soon. For now stay safe all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21K 1.6K 20
When Yoon Jin Ah made the life-changing decision to marry Yoo Jin Woo, there were many things she was willing to sacrifice. She played the role of a...
477K 16.2K 80
Olivia is content with her life. She has a job that pays her bills, even though she absolutely hates it. She gives free dance classes twice a week...
63.5K 2.2K 54
Dreams. She got big dreams. Almost as high as the stars in the sky. She never doubt herself. She promised herself that she will fight for it no matte...
33.2K 2.2K 73
Son Ye Jin loves her job as an actress. She always honest about being her self and she also love by the staff but not everyone see her kindness and d...