And Then There Was You (Chris...

By belleofmarvel

In this AU Chris Evans joins us as a firefighter/paramedic. Daphne is a kindergarten teacher and the only da... More

August 10 6:00 am
August 10 Sunrise
August 10 Afternoon
August 15
September 3 Kickoff
September 3 Halftime
September 4
September 10 Community Helpers
September 10 It's been a long week
September 20
September 20 Dinner
September 24 It's About Time
October 4 Game Night
October 8 Homecoming
November 1 North East Florida Fair
November: Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 1
November Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 2
November Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 3
A/N and Question
November: Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 4
November Thanksgiving and a Wedding Part 5
December Part 1
December Part 2
December Part 3
December: Christmas Break Part 1
December: Christmas Break Part 2
December: Christmas Break Part 3
December Christmas Day Part 1
December Christmas Day Part 2
December Christmas Day Part 3
January 3
January 3 Part 2
January 4 The Trip Home
January: Plans, Plans and More Plans
February: Taking Charge
February Valentine's Day
Valentine's Day Part 2
February: Decisions
February: Decisions Part 2
March: BreakthroughοΏΌ
March: One Last Hurrah
March: Too Far?
April: Surprise!
April: A Step to Forever
Rehearsal Day Part 1
Rehearsal Day Part 2
Wedding Day Part 1
Wedding Day Part 2
Wedding Day Part 3
Honeymoon Part 1
Honeymoon Part 2
Honeymoon Part 3
Honeymoon Part 4
Honeymoon Day 4 At Sea
Honeymoon Kahului Hawaii
Honeymoon: Honolulu
Honeymoon: Captain's Dinner
Honeymoon: Happy Birthday?
Honeymoon: Island Time
Honeymoon: The Last Leg
Welcome Home
Back to Reality
May: Play Ball
May: Moving Out or Moving In?
May: Father Figure
June: Double Date
June: Baby Love
June: Thirty Four Part One
June: Thirty Four Part Two
July: The Big Bang
July: Wobble Baby Wobble
July: When it Rains
August: Back At It
September
September Get Away
Every New Beginning UPDATE
October
October: Mood Swings
October: Baby Day
October: Baby Day Part 2
November Part 1
November: Vacation
UPDATE
November: Vacation Part 2
November: Vacation Part 3
November: Vacation Part 4
November Vacation Part 5
November Vacation Part 6
November Vacation Part 7
December Part 1
December Part 2
December: Maybe Baby?
Not Exactly an Update
January: Cheers to a New Year
February: It's a ...
March
April: Anniversary Wish
Wow. (Not an update)
Sorry!
May (Part 1)
May (Part 2)
May (Part 3)
May (Part 4)
May (Part 5)
Apology
June (Part 1)
June Part 2
A/N ~5/31/22
Recommendations?οΏΌ
A/N
June (Part 3)
What if...
June (Part 4)
June (Part 5)
June (Part 6)
June (4 Years Later)
Author's Note
!!NEW!!
New New New!
One Shot

September 11 Brunch

1.5K 51 14
By belleofmarvel

It's a bit longer. Sorry!

In an attempt to clear his mind Chris decided to take Dodger for a walk after lifting weights. It was around 7:30 in the morning. Does he text her? Does he hold true to their date today? But, she's married. She doesn't come across as being in a relationship but what else could that thin gold band mean? Why wasn't her husband at the game with her instead of her brother? Could she be a widow? Does the band still link her to her love past his death? He exhales a cleansing breath as he takes out his phone. Already having programmed Daphne's number into it he looked up her contact information.

Walking through the front door of his apartment he decides to bite the bullet and give her the benefit of the doubt.

Chris- Good morning, Daphne. I hope you were able to get some relief last night. Are we still on for this morning?
While waiting for a response he fills the dog's water bowl and takes a seat at the kitchen table.
Daphne- Mornin to you! I'm feeling much better today so yes, I'd like to take you up on that brunch offer. My address is 236 Mulligan St
Chris- Seriously?! That's just around the corner from me.
Daphne- No way, lol. How have we not crossed paths?
Chris- Technically I guess we have and didn't know it. I'll see you at ten?
Daphne- Ten it is ☺️

~~

Setting her phone down on the bedside table Daphne suddenly felt the butterflies increase in number within her stomach. 'Multiplying like bunnies aren't you,' she thought. Having not heard from Chris last night she thought for sure he'd changed his mind. His slight change of demeanor in the parking lot hadn't gone unnoticed. Maybe he'd gotten a better look close up and decided she wasn't pretty enough to be seen around him. She couldn't blame him. Being near thirty years old but your face looking like you were in the throws of puberty was enough to turn anyone away. Even now she believes he's only being nice by going along with his initial invite.

Noticing the time on her clock she decides it's time to get up and start her day. She carefully bathes, still very aware of her leg brace, and washes her hair. She applies volumizing mousse along with a root booster to her wet, fine hair. Next she blows her hair dry with the hair dryer and then attempts soft waves with the straightener. Her facial routine is a bit more extensive with exfoliating, toner, moisturizer and sunscreen. Applying enough make up to cover the redness and blemishes without being thick and cakey. Happy with those results so far she heads into her closet. It's another warm day but she feels like shorts would be too casual. Looking through her dresses she comes across a soft chambray knee length dress with cute ties on the sleeves. 'I'll pair this with some open toe flats and it'll be perfect,' she tells herself.

    Once she's dressed Daphne looks back to the mirror fluffing her locks once more time and applies a nude lip. She glances back at the clock just as she hears a double knock on her front door. "Just a minute," she calls out.  Taking a deep breath she walks down the hall and stops at the door. Carefully she opens it to see Chris on the other side with a small bouquet of yellow roses.

   "Wow," he simply states. "You look beautiful." The look on his face is that of surprise. Daphne wants to say thank you but her own insecurities are resurfacing as she's sure he's just being polite. "Oh, this old thing. Come on in, I need to grab my purse."

  Taking a couple steps through the door he holds the flowers out to Daphne. "These are for you." Taking them from him she smiles politely giving a proper thank you.  "I'll grab a vase and we can be on our way."  Walking in to the kitchen she asks if he has a restaurant in mind.

  "Actually I called Hayden," he chuckles. "He gave me a couple of ideas but if you have a favorite I'm game for anything."

  "There's a great place in San Marco, Maple Street Biscuit. They have incredible biscuits and gravy," she says while placing the base on her coffee table.

   "Perfect.  That's one of the places he recommended." Chris glances all around your living room, "you've got a beautiful home," he compliments but mentally he's taking in the inventory of the room trying to see if he notices anything that could lead him to answers about her gold band.

  She smiles glancing around as well. "Thanks. I've been here for about seven years. Moved in after college."  Taking a few steps closer towards the door, "shall we?"
  "Yes," Chris joins her as they head out of the home. Giving her time to lock up he walks over to the passengers side door of the truck and opens it. He offers her his hand to help her up. "A gentleman I see," Daphne says with a wink of her eye. "Yes ma'am. My mom raised me right," he grinned.

  Chris closes her door and walks around to the driver side. Daphne takes this moment to look him over.  His long legs are covered by deep blue jeans. He's wearing a simple grey tee that accentuates his biceps. But her favorite part might be the black high top Converse tennis shoes.

The drive to San Marco took about thirty minutes. There really weren't many moments of silence. The time was filled with the usual getting to know you questions. In the process, Daphne learned that Chris had two sisters and one brother, along with two nephews. He was originally from South Florida and had only been in Callahan for three months. Meanwhile, Chris learned that Oliver was her twin, she also had another brother and two nieces. They learned that they both preferred country music from the 80s and 90s compared to the garbage of today. Both also had a fond love of 80s hair bands and Mexican food.

Putting the truck in park Chris jumped out and ran to Daphne's door. It was at this time that they realized getting out of the truck with a brace on would prove more difficult than getting in. "Scoot all the way to the edge of the seat towards me," Chris says as he stands in front of the open door. "Now lift your arms a little and I'm going to pick you up and set you down." Daphne looks at him like he's crazy. "Or, I could throw you over my shoulder," he laughed taking in her expression. "What do you think about a fireman's carry?" He asks with a smirk. Realizing now that a dress might've been a bad idea she tells him, "okay, fine, but close your eyes."  "Yes ma'am, even though I've gone into plenty of homes and seen many people in much less," he assures her. She raises her eyebrow, "did you take any of them on a date? Now, close your eyes because I'm not showing my world to you."

  Following her directions he can't help but laugh as he closes his eyes, places his hands under her arms and gently lifts her down. "Thank you," she tells him as she smooths out her dress.

As they begin walking towards the restaurant Chris places his hand on the small of her back. "Now, tell me what on Earth did you mean by showing your world?"

"Have you heard the song Crash Into Me by Dave Matthews Band? It's a line from the song. He tells the girl to hike up her skirt a little more and show her world to him," she explains. "I didn't want you to see 'my world.' She glances over at Chris who has a wide eyed expression. "Oh..oh! I didn't even think that I promise," he assures her. "It's okay, I was really just making a joke," Daphne gives him a playful smile.

There's that smile again. That smile just tugs at Chris's heart. He swears her smile could stop wars.

The two place their orders and fill up their coffee cups before sitting down across from each other at a table. "Have you been to this area of Jacksonville before today?" Daphne asks. "Some but just for work not play. We've taken a couple of people by ambulance to the hospital near here but that's about it," he answers. She sips at her coffee, "it's really a gorgeous area, almost like it doesn't fit the rest of Jacksonville. There's a beautiful park near by that runs along the river as well." "Good to know," Chris tells her as he eyes her over his coffee cup.

Easy conversation continues over 'the most incredible sausage gravy' (according to Chris) breakfast. Glancing down at his watch Chris notices it's already 1 o'clock. He pulls his hand down over his beard. "As much as I'm enjoying this," he starts, "I guess we should be heading out."

"Oh, of course. I'm so sorry for rambling and taking up so much of your time," she says while gathering her purse.

Chris, realizing she thinks he's not enjoying himself, stops her. "No! That's not it at all. I just have a shift at three. I need to make sure I've got time to take Dodger out for a walk before."

The walk back to the truck is much like the walk to the restaurant, Chris's hand on the small of Daphne's back. Again, he opens the door for her and helps her in. Driving back home they decide to play "either or."

"I don't know that I can really pick," Chris answers when asked if he prefers the beach or the mountains. "I've never been to the mountains so I guess I have to say beach."

"You've never been to the mountains?" Daphne exclaims, shocked. "My family and I went at least every other year."

"If given the opportunity I'd like to but vacationing alone is pretty boring," he chuckles. "Alright, my turn. Football or baseball?"

"Can I pick both? I enjoy both but if I had to choose one...football," she says behind gritted teeth. "Same question."

"I'll watch either one but really my favorite sport is hockey," he tells truthfully.

Daphne looks at him confused. "You grew up in South Florida, and your favorite sport is hockey? That makes no sense," she laughs.

"Yes, but we had an NHL team, Florida Panthers," he defends himself as he pulls into Daphne's driveway.

"I've never been to a game," she confides.

Chris just shakes his head. "Well it's been nice knowing ya Daph, but I guess this just isn't gonna work for me," he says straight faced.

Daphne's insecurities don't let her see that Chris is joking. "Sorry I wasted your time," she says sadly.

Realizing that she thinks he's serious, Chris quickly waves his hands around in surrender. "Gosh, no! That didn't go the way I thought it would. I was joking, I promise!" He climbs out of the truck and goes to Daphne's door. She scoots to the side again lifting her arms so he can help her down. Chris closes his eyes and gently sets her down directly in front of him. "Daphne," he said looking directly into her brown eyes, "I had a great time with you. Great conversation, great food. And I'd like to do it again."

Daphne had been trying to look away from his gaze but how do you look away from the ocean within his eyes. Tucking her hair behind her ear she says, "If you're sure, then I'd like that too."

Walking up to Daphne's door Chris let's her know that he'll be getting his new schedule in the next couple of days. "I'll let you know when I'm available. But until then can I text or call you?"

"Sure. I'd like that," Daphne answers with a smile. She unlocks her door and turns back to Chris. This doesn't feel like a kiss goodbye moment but definitely not a handshake either.

Gently, Chris picks up her right hand and kisses the back of it. "I'll talk to you soon Daphne."

With a wave goodbye Daphne walks into her home. Still feeling the touch of his lips on her hand she holds it close to her chest over her smiling heart.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 80 16
Y/N Dupain-Cheng is Marinette's twin sister, although they are close, they are like polar opposites. Y/N meets Chat when she is taken hostage by an a...
267K 3.6K 58
𝘈 𝘴𝘡𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝘊𝘩𝘳π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘌𝘷𝘒𝘯𝘴 𝘒𝘯π˜₯ 𝘩π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘦𝘹 𝘨π˜ͺ𝘳𝘭𝘧𝘳π˜ͺ𝘦𝘯π˜₯
166K 2.4K 31
lavender may avery daughter to jack avery attracts the attention of a young girl in walmart
68.2K 4K 168
Every New Beginning Comes From Some Other Beginnings End I'd have been completely fine, living in my little dream weekend bubble if she had just k...