Unexpected | Zelink (modern A...

By PandaDawgBE

(Cover by @Zelinkie) - (Art by finnichang on tumblr) {-------------------} Zelda's eyes were glued to the pag... More

~Prologue~
Encounter
Conversing
Second Home
Messages
Friendship
Lake
Twilight
Deja Vu {pt. 1}
Deja Vu {pt. 2}
Trouble
History {pt. 1}
History {pt. 2}
Sword
Confession
Dreams
Familiarity
Worries
Danger

The Royal Family

864 30 40
By PandaDawgBE

Hand in hand, the two chosen ones were making their way through the Lost Woods.

Link, on the other hand, had his hands quite busy. He had a torch in one, Zelda's hand in the other one, and the sword hoisted on his hip. Zelda had offered to hold it, but he didn't want her to have the burden of carrying a sword. Especially a magical sword at that.

Link didn't even have anywhere to hoist the sword, he just inserted it into his belt loop hoping it wouldn't rip apart.

Zelda handled the silence. "How long until we arrive?"

Link turned a little to smile at the girl beside him. "Soon."

"You said that, like, ten minutes ago," Zelda chuckled. She moved closer, intertwining their fingers and using her other hand to hold them together to feel safer. "Did we get lost?"

"Not...necessarily..." Link flushed, stopping where he was in the midst of the fog. "Um...it's just a little hard to see for some reason. I thought we were almost there those ten minutes ago, but the fog is a little thicker than usual."

"Hm." Zelda looked around as well, lightly caressing the back of Link's hand with the thumb that wasn't interlocked with his other hand. She tried to reassure him, stepping over to place a kiss on his cheek.

"You can do it, just take your time," she encouraged. "Don't want to actually get lost now, do we?"

Link felt better at her words and actions, smiling a little to himself to relieve the stress. He shook off his worries and squeezed her hand. Before they moved again, he placed a soft, short kiss on her lips.

"Just in case," he said.

Zelda flushed, lightly swatting him on the shoulder as he chuckled. "Don't say that."

As a way to indicate their journey continuing, he nodded his head to the side, watching where the fog moved.

It took them longer than usual, but when they finally saw the opening to Korok Forest with the Great Deku Tree—after a couple of wary minutes, may they add—it felt like they just finished a marathon.

"Finally!" Zelda groaned in relief, tugging Link along as he blew out the torch once they made it into the clear zone. Link placed his torch down by a tree, not once releasing Zelda's hand as he took the sword out from his belt loop. He was lucky the sword didn't rip the fabric from how wide its sheath was.

They had gone for a walk around the forest prior to their walk to the Deku Tree, but surprisingly, Link found it in himself to ask Zelda if they were able to go to the tree for answers on his dream. It was unlikely he would give a specific answer as to what his dream meant, but it was worth a try.

Walking up to the pedestal, Link and Zelda felt the tree open its eyes even before they saw it happen.

"Well, welcome back, kids!"

They waved at him, smiling. Zelda, the one with the greeting, said, "Hello, Deku Tree."

A smile on his wooden face was evident, and it warmed the two.

"What brings you here?" he wondered.

Link looked at Zelda, pursing his lips as he set the sword's point on the ground as it was sheathed. He turned back to the talking tree. "Um...I wanna talk about a certain dr- memory—a certain memory that I had last night."

If the tree could raise a brow, it would have. "Ahh, so you're finally accepting you're receiving memories?"

Link scoffed and looked to the side, Zelda's hand keeping him from faltering. "Yes, I guess."

"That's fantastic, boy," said the tree. "That just means you're close."

Link sighed. "Even Zelda said I'm pretty close. But...I'm wondering, what even will happen when I finally receive all of my memories? How will I even know when it's finished?"

"Well...first of all, have you received something?"

The two teens rose their eyebrows, looking at each other. Then, looking back at the tree, Link asked, "What do you mean?"

Link knew what he meant. He knew, but he didn't want to say it. He...he had to, though. If he didn't, things would have just gotten worse.

The Deku Tree huffed. "I'm assuming not, then."

Link's posture faltered.

Zelda was confused, scratching her head in thought. "What would he have gotten?"

Link glanced to his side to Zelda, hoping that nothing would give him away.

"I will wait for him to find that out himself. You too, Zelda." The Deku Tree smiled softly. "You, as well, will receive something someday soon."

Zelda was unsure what to say, her hand falling limp in Link's own. Receive something? she had thought. Don't tell me...that what he's talking about is the Trifor-

"Okay, well...I want to ask a question, though."

Link's voice brought Zelda out of her thoughts, her head turning to him.

Link continued, saying, "Is it true that the first generation of Link and Zelda were the starters of Hyrule?"

If the tree had a head, he would have nodded. "Yes, basically. You know, those two were really close. They were best friends before realizing they were both destined for battle, and in the end turning out to be lovers."

Link and Zelda looked at each other, a slight blush on their face.

"I know what you're thinking: it sounds like the two of you guys."

Zelda chuckled, nodding shyly. "Yeah... Were they really close beforehand?"

The tree nodded, basically. "While I wasn't aware of them until they had come to the ground below, the Goddess Hylia makes sure to let me know of what occurs with you guys, and who will be the next generation saviors of this land."

Link felt a chill go down his spine, his grip on the sword tightening. He didn't want to say it, but it was what had to be done—he needed to get it through his thick skull.

"So what you're saying is...," Link felt Zelda's eyes on the side of his face, "Zelda and I are the chosen ones?"

"Yes. But to be more precise, you're the chosen one, Link."

Link was taken aback, Zelda's hand removed from his own and then on his shoulder, holding him. "M-me?!"

The tree grunted in affirmation. "You're the Hero chosen by the Gods. Zelda is, well, the Goddess reborn. She's not necessarily chosen, she's born with it."

Link shouldn't have been as shocked as he was, but to actually hear of who they were with confirmation was overwhelming—as well as to Zelda.

"Goddess reborn... Hylia reborn..." Zelda looked flushed, looking down at the ground before her.

No wonder she's so damned beautiful. Link cleared his throat, shying a glance toward the girl he was connected with.

He was able to catch on to her actions, though—the way she tensed up, the way her hands clenched softly...she, as well, wasn't ready to hear those words of confirmation. Even though she knew of her title, she wasn't prepared to hear it head-on.

"I knew I had a tie to the royal family, but to hear that I actually am a Goddess reborn is so...."

"Crazy, isn't it?"

Zelda looked up, pursing her lips as she nodded toward the great tree. "Yes. And Link, here," she stole a glance at the man beside her, "being the chosen hero is so bizarre!"

Zelda took a step forward, moving from her position beside Link. "Tell me, Mr. Tree—were Link and I destined to meet one way or another?"

The tree hummed in affirmation. "I believe that is correct. There's a new generation of the princess and hero every couple of years, at least over thousands of years."

Link walked up closer to Zelda, grabbing her hand in his. "Were we supposed to fall in love?" he asked, feeling comfort as Zelda intertwined their hands.

The Great Deku Tree had to think for a moment. "Well...no. Not all Heroes and Princess' from long ago fell in love—it was seen as taboo, first of all—but you two, just like some others, fell in love because you simply found attraction for one another."

There was silence for a second.

"I find that very fitting." Zelda smiled, casting a smile to Link.

Link smiled back, feeling a little flustered.

"Yeah," he said. Then, turning back to the tree, he continued speaking. "But I'm curious, is Zelda basically a princess right now? Or..."

"Technically, yes. Her father just help cover up the monarchy into nothing but a man sitting on a high mountain. So, Hyrule does indeed have a ruler—it's just...on the low, so to speak."

Zelda and Link both stood there in shock, their hands numbly held tight.

Link couldn't have imagined how Zelda was feeling at that moment, shifting his gaze to her as she stared blankly at the pedestal that once held the sword.

"But.why?" Zelda whispered, so much so that anyone barely heard it. Her voice raised a bit, "Why did he do that?" She looked up, brows furrowing. "How come the rulers from years before never accepted that my house is a kingdom? It looks nothing like a mansion, anyways! It's more of a modified castle, if you squint."

The Deku Tree sighed. "Nothing much I can say besides they were afraid. The kings and queens are alerted from the gods when a new generation of saviors is to come, but they still hid from the public that where they are now is what once was Hyrule Castle."

"So...," Zelda licked her lips nervously, feeling her heart quicken as Link moved closer to her side, "is that why my father never let me free? I've heard back then they never had an issue showcasing their daughters or sons, but for me it was different—was my father aware of the evil that's to come?"

Link felt the tension arise, and he felt a little out of place being in the middle of such a personal conversation. Zelda had so much she was kept in the dark about, and that truly made Link angry.

"The simplest answer I can give you is a 'yes'," uttered the tree. "He knew, and he tried his best to prevent you from meeting the one who would be the chosen hero, for he knew their fates would intertwine inevitably at some point in time. And, when that happens, the evil is lurking around waiting to strike."

The evil is lurking around waiting to strike... Link bit the inside of his cheek, unsure what to say in all of this. But, all of a sudden, his memory flashed to that gigantic man he saw cross by him on the street; he thought nothing of it, pushing it to the side as a random thought.

"So...basically, Zelda was held back at her, uh...castle to not meet me?" Link inquired, raising his brow.

The Deku Tree grunted.

Link grunted himself, but in a less affirmative manner, and looked off to the side, his hand slipping from Zelda's. "So...if we never met, there wouldn't even be an evil lurking around and we'd be just fine..."

Zelda looked at him, her head fully turned toward him. She moved herself closer, their arms weaved through the other while Zelda tightly locked their fingers together to keep them secure.

"I'm not exactly sure how this all works, but I'm positive we would have met in a weird way, either way." She used her other hand to pull on Link's jaw to turn him to her, his sulky eyes presented to her. "And, if anything...I'm actually glad we met. Be it we do have to do something to protect this land, I'm not so worried about that for I found someone I truly love."

Link could have cried on the spot if he wasn't in the presence of a talking tree that kept in contact with the goddess', so instead he opted for the other option. Leaning forward, Link captured Zelda's lips in a brief but firm kiss, his emotions not properly conveyed as they were being watched, but the princess incarnated knew of his intentions.

He pulled her in close after breaking apart, holding her in his arms. "I love you...so much," he said.

Zelda turned red a little, but returned the hug with the same feeling, her forehead resting against his temple. "I love you more."

Link could only grunt at that, placing a small kiss below her ear before moving away, giving her a look that could only mean, later we'll discuss this.

Zelda only chuckled, knowing they'd be there for hours bickering who loves the other more if they weren't with another person—er...uh, tree—in the area.

Deciding to move past the gushy stuff, Link decided to bring up the creature they met back at their tree.

"Uh, Deku Tree—" Link scratched his cheek—"there's this, uh...little guy we saw back where we were hanging out earlier. He said his name was Jaak? I don't know, but he's a korok, and he said he's your kid?"

The tree was confused for a second, but then he let out a hearty laugh. "That kid! He's very free-spirited, but he means well. What did he tell you guys?"

Zelda was able to muster a smile. "Well, he just popped out of nowhere and basically confirmed to us we are the next generation of saviors."

Link only nodded, agreeing with her statement, and gave a stiff smile. Whether it was to reassure himself, or to share support with Zelda, he wasn't sure why he smiled.

Nonetheless, something in him spoke out and he said, "We'll be able to handle this." Turning back toward the great tree, Link gave one more nod of affirmation. "Zelda and I, together, will take down whatever we have to."

A brief chuckle was received from the tree. "Quite the spirit, yes?"

Zelda chuckled as well, except it was more in fondness for Link's new-found confidence. She tugged at his hand, offering a smile. "It seems he's starting to accept it more, leveling it with confidence and courage."

Link only smiled a little, a little wavered in his confidence. "Well...I have to do what I must to stay strong in these times."

"That is quite alright, boy. Just do what you have to do, and stay level-headed. Be prepared at any moment."

"Yes, well...," Link pursed his lips, removing his hand from Zelda to grasp the sword in front of him, "I want to talk about the Master Sword, briefly."

"What is it?" asked the tree.

Removing it from its sheathing, Link showcased the sword to the tree. "Ya see, yesterday I heard it...speak to me... Or something of the sort."

"Speak to you?"

"Yes!" Link urged. He turned to Zelda. "Isn't that right?"

"Well, to be fair, you heard the sword," Zelda mused, pointing to herself, "I only heard a small, inaudible noise. More like a buzz sound."

Link grunted, grabbing the sword by placing its blade on his palms. "What could this mean, Deku Tree?"

"Well," Zelda budged in with a finger in the air, "I mentioned to him that the reason he could hear the sword speak is because he is the chosen one, chosen by the goddess, so I'm unable to hear it due to that reason."

"In addition to what Zelda had said," the tree smiled, "which is all true, I can concur that you being able to hear the sword speak to you is a sign from the goddess that you are, in fact, needed to fight what's to come. No matter the cost, that sword chose you, and you alone."

"So...it's as if the sword is trying to tell me that I'm actually the hero chosen by the gods?" Link mumbled.

Although Link was quiet, the Great Tree still responded. "Yes."

Link was left with silence coming out of him, his mouth pressed into a thin line as he stared at the sword. "Hm."

"Now," the tree's booming voice shook him out of his thoughts, "if that is all needed from me, you may feel free to stay or go back home—I am in need of a much-needed slumber."

Zelda and Link could only laugh at that, slightly bowing to the great tree.

"We'll leave you alone now, Deku Tree," said Zelda.

The last thing they were given from him was a grunt, right before his eyes fell shut and he was taken into slumber.

Link wasted no time in grabbing Zelda's hand, turning around to walk back down the steps and to where the torch was. "Come on, let's head back."

Zelda was a little taken aback by his strong pull, but she didn't complain. She knew he would feel even worse staying there. "O-oh. Okay, let's."

The walk back to their secluded area was...quieter than Zelda had hoped, but she was not expecting Link to talk a lot—or maybe even speak at all, for that matter. What they talked about with the Great Deku Tree was heavy, and she knew Link wasn't going to handle it well.

Link released her hand once they reached their location, Link blowing out the torch and tossing it to the side once he entered their tree, the Master Sword finding a place on the couch as Link tossed it there. Zelda could only slow to a stop and stand by to watch as he strolled to the bed and face-planted on it.

She could do nothing but sigh, raising her hand to bring her arm close to her body for a sense of security. She slowly made her way over to him, sitting beside him on the edge of the bed.

To open her mouth and speak, or to stay silent—those were the recurring thoughts in her head the second she made contact with the bed. She pursed her lips, a sigh heaving through her nose.

Opening her mouth, Zelda decided to say something. "Link, I—"

"Can you come closer?"

Zelda furrowed her brow, her face not hiding the confusion. Nevertheless, she didn't ignore his request, shifting closer to him and watching as he properly laid on the bed while making space for her. That was when she realized he wanted her to lay beside him, so she didn't waste any time as she made her move to lay beside him. A small noise of surprise came out of her when Link pulled his arm out to wrap around her and pull her flush against his own body.

Link made a noise of content, but as well as uncertainty, as he nestled his face in her hair from behind.

Zelda decided to finally ask her question. "How are you feeling?"

Link only grunted, pulling her in closer. "I don't even know... I feel...complete?"

"Complete?" Zelda repeated. That wasn't what she expected.

The male behind her nodded, his breath leaving shivers as it blew on the back of her neck. "At least I know now, for sure, I'm the hero of this generation. There's no point anymore in denying it. And you're the princess in disguise..."

"Hey—" Link pulled back a little to lean on his elbow, propping himself up as he turned her to look at her from above—"should I even be with you like this considering you're practically royalty? Isn't this considered...inappropriate?"

Zelda tilted her head, but she realized by the tone of his voice, along with that slight smirk, that he was merely jesting. Thus, she decided to play along—anything to make his day better.

Raising her hand from her place beside her, she reached up to run her fingers along his cheek before cupping his jaw. Putting on her best "regal" tone of voice, she uttered, "Well, how can love dare lose over a title—besides—" Zelda pulled Link's head lower to get closer, slightly raising her head up to meet halfway—"isn't this a little more exciting, hm?"

Link knew it was an act, but it had felt too real to not feel flustered. But, he still put on his best accent and used his free hand to place on her waist, eyes lidded as he tilted his head to stir a feeling in the moment. "I suppose you aren't mistaken, Your Highness."

Zelda oddly didn't feel as flustered as she should have, her soul feeling as if this were natural between them... Which shouldn't have been as surprising as it used to be.

Link sunk his head lower, capturing the lower half of her face with his own lips to settle upon hers in a slow, gentle kiss.

Zelda released a sigh of contentment, her hand running through his locks and gently tugging where his hair was tied, bringing him closer.

If it weren't for the noise he made, they would have kept going.

Red in the face, Zelda pulled back to meet another red-in-the-face face. "Uh..."

"Uh—" Link echoed, his voice cracking as he pulled back onto his bottom. "I...uh..."

"Did..." Zelda looked to the side, slowly sitting up as curiosity got the best of her. "Was that noise because it felt...nice?"

Link could only scratch his cheek and look away.

Soon after, a small laugh left Zelda's mouth. She moved onto her hands and knees, moving forward to pester Link. "Well, I believe we should cut your hair sooner or later, shouldn't we? You mentioned cutting it."

Link found himself speechless, mouth opening and closing in attempts to say something. He knew she was trying to change the subject to forget what had happened. But, instead of thinking like her, whatever was on his mind left first—"I-I actually liked when you did that, though."

Zelda's face was the next to turn red again, their skin matching in color. "W-well...should I, uh...do it again?"

Link shyly nodded. "Even if we aren't kissing or anything, just...having your fingers along my scalp or playing with my hair feels nice."

"So...no cutting?" Zelda asked.

"Well...yeah, someday." Link chuckled and reached behind his head to touch his ponytail. "It's getting a little too long."

A fond smile broke onto her face. She reached forward to reach behind his head, her hand resting on his ponytail as she lightly tugged at it. "You look nice with long hair, though."

Link felt a blush appear on his cheeks, rubbing the back of his neck and smiling sheepishly. "Thank you, Zelda. But, uh...I'm sure I'll look just as ravishing with short hair."

Zelda could only laugh, shaking her head lightly and using the hand that held the back of his head to bring him forward. "I guess I'll just have to wait and see, then."

Link grinned, moving with her pull to join her in a warm kiss. Zelda used her other hand to lightly rest on his chest, the other in his hair, tugging at the hair tie around his hair.

Link allowed himself to lean forward all the way, pushing Zelda down with him and laying atop of her as she undid his hair and ran her fingers through his locks.

His body was on hers, his hand caressing her waist as he moved his mouth on hers feverishly.

He really did love the feeling of her fingers through his hair.

Their moment was relaxing and carefree, enjoying each other's presence.

But then Link's movements ceased when he heard a noise—the same noise his sword made.

Zelda tilted her head, oblivious to the noise he heard and only focused on his abrupt halt. "What is it?"

Link tried to push it away, smiling at her and shaking his head. He leaned back in to kiss her, but then he heard it again. Though, this time, the words were more audible.

Alerted, Link pulled away and looked behind him, letting out a startled yell when he saw a blue figure standing there.

Zelda sat up and was going to ask him what was wrong, but then she also released a yelp when she saw the same figure—a blue figure in the form of a lady.

They both scrambled away from one another, hearts racing as another scream threatened to escape their lips.

The blue figure spoke to them, and they both understood. "Fret not, pretend I wasn't here to witness such a scene."

Link was quick to react. "How long have you been there?!"

"For as long as you've heard me."

"Who are you?!"

"Your sword's spirit."

Link almost choked on his own breath, unsure what to say.

That was until he realized something. "You... I feel like I've seen you before—" Link gasped, pointing a finger at the spirit-like lady. "You were in my dream!"

Zelda looked at Link, confusion on her features. "Wait, is she that blue spirit you were talking about when you dreamt of the Hero of Skies?"

Link nodded frantically, glancing at her before turning back to who he was speaking to.

If the spirit in front of them could tear up, it seemed like it had. A sad smile grew on her face. "Ah...Hero of Skies, Master Link... So you know of our farewell, correct?"

Link nodded, words caught in his throat as he wasn't sure what to say anymore. He felt bad, having felt he hit a sad memory. "I'm...um...I'm sorry if that triggered anything."

A shake of the head from the blue lady was enough to reassure Link he meant no ill.

Silence grew as the two hylians struggled to comprehend what even occurred, but Zelda was the first to come to when a sudden realization hit her as well.

"Wait...," she uttered, squinting her eyes, "you also look familiar to me...but I can't exactly put a pin to it."

The levitating woman seemed to have grown a smile. "So you remember me? Back at the park?"

Zelda took a second, but her eyes grew wide and she gasped hard. She fell back against the headrest. "You're Fi?!"

Said Fi nodded.

Link looked in between the two of them, confused. "Huh?"

"That was me, indeed," Fi confirmed. "You were the only one who could see me, which further proves the point for you two."

Link was still lost. "What are you guys talking about?"

Zelda didn't answer him, eyes locked to the girl she had met previously. "It was no surprise that we discussed Hyrule's old monarchy, then..."

She shifted her eyes to Link, who was only sitting by her with a look of bewilderment. She eased his curiosities by explaining—"I met her the same day I met you, Link. A little earlier before you and I crossed paths, though."

Link was at ease. "Ahhh, I see. Wow... What a coincidence that you met...," he turned his gaze back to the ghost-like woman, "the Master Sword's spirit... The sword that I was prophesied to yield. Doesn't that sound crazy?!"

Zelda scratched her cheek. "That does sound crazy now that you mention it in that way."

Link let out an exasperated sigh, falling back against the headrest with Zelda. "So...um...Fi? Why are you suddenly...outside?"

Fi pranced around the room for a second before coming into a stance as if she were sitting cross-legged on the ground, except she was hovering a bit.

"To fulfil any curiosities you have, of course," she said.

The two heroes gasped, looking at each other. Link was the first to turn back. "Questions?! Why all of a sudden?!"

"You both now seem to accept your fate, so I am here to ease any concerns."

"Question one—"Link blurted, not even giving Zelda a chance to think of a question—"when will our enemy show up?"

To say Zelda wasn't curious about that would've been a lie. She looked curiously at the blue spirit.

Fi gave them a small smile. "I can't decipher that for you. I have limitations to your questions."

Zelda raised her finger, speaking out next. "How about this one? Um...did you cater for the previous...," she looked at Link, "Link and Zelda?"

"Oh. Yes, indeed."

Zelda perked, giving her attention to her. "Really?! How were they?"

Link turned to look at Zelda, a questionable expression on his face. She couldn't see him for she was too excited, but that eased his curiosity a bit. A smile escaped him, knowing that he'd have asked the same if he was seriously curious about the heroes of old and their personalities.

Fi answered her. "While I wasn't always with Princess Zelda herself, I was always with Master Link. The two always had bad blood, and the princess was aware of me being in the sword...but Master Link never gave her a proper answer to her questions. It wasn't until Master had taken the final blow to his life that Princess Zelda heard me. I was the one who told her he could be saved, having been taken to the shrine of resurrection."

The two listening simply sat there, but Zelda had a question of her own. "What do you mean...bad blood?"

"You've read her diary, correct?"

That was when Zelda's eyes widened, a gasp escaping her.

Link looked at her, furrowing his brow. "What is she talking about?"

"Um..." Zelda scratched her cheek, shying a little. "When I showed you the big book full of historical text, I also found Princess Zelda's diary from the age of the calamity within the pile of books. But...so much had occurred that even though I brought it with me, I didn't have the chance to show you."

Link slowly nodded, understanding all she was saying.

"Maybe before we get outta here, we should read it," Zelda suggested.

Link nodded, a smile growing. "Yeah, that'll be cool. Her diary? I'm pretty excited."

Zelda smiled as well, though it wasn't as energetic as his. "It's kind of...sad, though, if I had a way to describe it."

"We'll just see when we get to it."

Zelda nodded once more to Link, and turned back to Fi. "So...how were their personalities? Were they as doubtful as we were?"

Fi shook her head. "Not really, Princess Zelda always had to stay true to her title and fulfil her duty no matter the cost, even if it meant throwing away her love for science and research."

Zelda gasped. "She loved science and research?"

A nod from Fi was all that was needed for Zelda to grin. She exclaimed, "That's crazy, me too!"

Link chuckled, unknowingly showing a look of admiration for Zelda.

"And while Zelda was the outgoing adventurer," Fi continued, "Master Link was the quiet knight. He was as silent as the dead of night, one may have said. But when Master saved Zelda once from a clan called the Yiga Clan, the two grew closer and their tension wilted away. Master Link wasn't as silent as he once was."

Link and Zelda simply sat there, looking like two little kids listening to someone tell them a folks tale. Except, it wasn't necessarily a tale.

"Wow...," Zelda breathed.

Link added another question. "What happened to them when the calamity was over? When the hero saved the princess after those one hundred years?"

"Well, after the defeat of the calamity, the two went on to grow ties again with the other villages and regions. They grew closer than they had before, learning of their origins more than they were told before. Then, in the end, after the completion of Hyrule Castle's rebuild, the two realized no more harm would have been done to Hyrule and happily married as King and Queen."

The two felt as if they were struck in the chest, a feeling of emptiness hitting them.

"Wow... That's..." Link turned to look at Zelda, pouting. "What happened to them afterwards? Do you know how the monarchy fell?"

He wasn't looking at Fi, but Fi knew that he was speaking to her.

"That's a very good question. When Master Link felt I was no longer needed, he took me back to the Great Deku Tree. They ruled as King and Queen, as explained before, and even had a daughter. But, despite having a child, they were the last generation of rulers."

Fi paused to see if they had any inquiries, but none were asked so she continued. "Queen Zelda and King Link passed away of old age—their daughter tried her best to run the entirety of the kingdom on her own at the age of twenty, but she found it difficult. Thus, it lead to the ties and alliances breaking with the different regions and Hyrule Castle was abandoned, for the princess had run away."

"What...?" Zelda furrowed her brow. "She just...she just ran away?!"

A nod came from Fi. "She ran away and created a family of her own out in the most uncommon parts of this land. From thereon, that was when everything branched off."

"So it was simply because there was no one else who could run the kingdom...," Link muttered, invested in the history of Hyrule's kingdom.

"Correct, and eventually it died off and decades later people decided to use it as a really high-priced party venue."

Zelda could've laughed, but she was in too much shock from what she had heard. "That's really what happened? How... Why didn't anyone teach us about this?"

"Simply because the world doesn't know, and they wanted everyone to believe Hyrule fell due to the calamity."

Link rose an eyebrow. "That's...weird, if you ask me."

"Or maybe they were lazy..." Zelda sighed, holding her head in her hands. "This is a lot to take in... How did they get the castle running back again?" She raised her head, looking at Fi. "Is it possible to explain how me—a girl with royalty in her blood—was able to find home in what was once Hyrule Castle?"

"There is," said Fi. "Long story, but worthwhile. First, your mother is related to the royal bloodline, since her ancestors were relatives to the queen who ran away centuries ago. Your great great great grandmother was the one who refurbished your home and got it running again with only a few people until more were willing to help and were given a job. That was when they had the future heirs, and now that jumps from your late-mother to you, Zelda."

Fi smiled warmly. "That's how you are technically the princess of Hyrule of this day."

Zelda chewed anxiously on her nails, unsure how to face Fi, nor even Link.

Link took one for the team. "How do you know all this?"

"I'm tied with the Goddess Hylia."

"Oh."

Zelda grunted after their brief exchange, staring down at nothing as she sat on the bed.

Time passed before she decided she should stand up, straightening out her clothes and forcing a smile toward the blue entity, who seemed to have gotten up, herself.

"Um...thank you very much, Fi." Zelda walked closer to her, nodding her head as she stood a few feet away. "As much as a shocker this was, it was very informative and useful toward our journey as the heroes of Hyrule."

Link wasn't sure what Zelda was going to do, but as he crawled off the bed and moved to stand beside her, he did not expect her to bow.

"We'll do our very best to not let everyone down, nor fail you and the Goddess."

Link's face turned worrisome. "Zelda...?"

Zelda wasn't acting as she usually did, Link noted. She didn't sound as sincere as she usually did when speaking amongst themselves, especially about their fate.

He couldn't have blamed her, though...right? She finally learned the truth of her family that was kept hidden from her for years, and she could do nothing but thank the Master Sword's spirit for spilling it for her.

Something her own father couldn't do.

"I'll take my leave," Fi announced, interrupting the moment. "See you next time, and good luck."

Zelda slowly picked up her head as she and Link watched Fi's body stretch to morph back into the sword, no longer a blue entity, but instead the Master Sword.

Zelda was the one who spoke in the aftermath. "So, um...I'm not sure if she would see us, but maybe it's better we leave the sword away from our view when we're...uh...doing something."

Link would have laughed, but he wasn't feeling up to it when he saw how her mood shifted. He raised his hand, placing it on her back. "Are you okay?"

Zelda sighed, turning her body to hug Link around his waist.

Link immediately reacted despite the abruptness and hugged her back over her shoulders; luckily he wasn't too short.

"I just can't believe all this time, all my years of living, I was totally oblivious to everything around me."

Link had nothing to offer besides his comforting hold, letting her vent and cry on his shoulder due to the overwhelming feelings that came over her.

ahaha... hey besties :) anyways this was uh...shorter than usual i think sfgjksdf it feels short at least, to me. cause, as you know, i write almost 10k usually skjdfgksj but anyways this was just to get the story moving and to update it. and i'm not very proud of this...it felt lacking to me but what's done is done *shrugs in sadness* hopefully next chapter is a little more better in my taste.

i'm not gonna make anymore promises on when i'm updating next, cause for some reason i suck at meeting those deadlines dkfgjdfk i literally said i'd post this two weeks after last chapter, but it's been pretty much more than half a year skjfdkgsj anyways um...next chapter will be on the go, though. i have ideas for it, and it's all drafted. just time to write it :)

till next time soldiers (btw, i finally graduated high school...das crazy. started this fanfic in the beginning of high school and now it's over and i'm still working on it barely at the 16th chapter kdjfgkj ANYWAYS GOODBYE)

p.s. i have a zelink oneshot coming out soon based on taylor swift's song "enchanted"...gonna post it in a couple days after i proof read it ksjfdkg bye now

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 287 45
Written in Blood . {After OoT/MM fic} Hyrule is on the brink of another bloody war when he returns, the hero that had slipped away to be forgotten by...
27.8K 1.1K 24
When the three goddesses of the Triforce unintentionally grant the Princess of Hyrule the Triforce of Power, and the evil locked away from the world...
2K 76 20
It has been five years since the defeat of Calamity Ganon. As Hyrule and its inhabitants strive to rebuild from the ruins of their despoiled homeland...
1.9K 83 5
- DISCONTINUED Legends have told it themselves. If there was ever an era wherein the Hero had his heart residing in a girl not of the royal blood, i...