The Green Guardian

By CroodsGirl

|2021 VERSION| |23X FEATURED · 2X SPOLIGHT STORY · SHORTLISTED FOR THE SEASONAL CONTESTS!| Mateo Brook, a you... More

Author's Note (Important Message at the End)
Character Aesthetics
A Note to Judges and Reviewers about Mateo (Also Important!)
Part 1: Euphorbia, the Forest Spirit (Evie)
Chapter 1: The Fairy and the Basilisk
Chapter 2: Unbalanced Dimension
Chapter 3: Portal to Another World
Chapter 4: Dysfunctional Drama
Chapter 5: The Pebble Masters
Chapter 6: Vitality of the Forest
Chapter 7: Ranger Anthony
Chapter 8: Emergency!
Chapter 9: A Rescue Worth Dying For
Chapter 10: Light in the Darkness
Chapter 11: The Witch Doctor
Chapter 12: Secret of the Forest
Chapter 13: The Briefing
Chapter 14: King Benjamin
Chapter 15: Ambush!
Chapter 16: Crows' Den
Chapter 17: The Green Guardian
Part 2: Thebes (Mateo)
Chapter 18: Night of the Second Moon
Chapter 19: One with Nature
Chapter 20: Thebes of Seranet
Chapter 21: Fight for Mateo
Chapter 22: Whispers of the Fae
Chapter 23: Family Ties
Chapter 24: Euphorbia's Successor
Chapter 25: Thebes Strikes Back
Chapter 26: Lore of the Green Guardian
Chapter 27 - Mission: Rescue Mateo!
Chapter 28: Heart of Darkness
Part 3: Training Days (Mateo and Evie)
Bonus Chapter 2: In the Beginning
Chapter 29: Three Boops on the Nose
Chapter 30: It's Not Time to Die
Chapter 31: Sacrifice
Chapter 32: Petrified
Chapter 33: Fororli
Chapter 34: Elushia Amisha
Chapter 35: The Truth About Sam
Chapter 36: The Fae Prince
Chapter 37: Tears of Hope
Chapter 38: The Mascot of the Basilisk
Chapter 39: The Return of Ben
Chapter 40: Pinta's First Ranger
Part 4: The Guardian's Tree (Mateo and Evie)
Bonus Chapter 3: Pinta Park Ranger
Chapter 41: Redemption
Chapter 42: Cold Blood
Chapter 43: The Bittersweet
Chapter 44: "Wrapped Up in Light"
Chapter 45: Euphorbia's Legacy
Chapter 46: But isn't that selfishness?
Chapter 47: "Tale As Old As Time"
Chapter 48: Warrior Princess
Chapter 49: The Final Battle (Part 1)
Chapter 49: The Final Battle (Part 2)
Chapter 50: Love Conquers All
Epilogue: Miracle of Life
Final Author's Note
Accolades/Review (s)
Accolades Cont.
Accolades Cont. (2)
Accolades Cont. (3)
Accolades Cont. (4)
Accolades Cont. (5) (Celebrating 100 Wins!)
Accolades Cont. (6)

Bonus Chapter: Expectations

259 11 15
By CroodsGirl

Five weeks earlier

        Maria had never done a pregnancy test before, so she had no idea what she was doing. She and Mateo were always careful, but he did get a little too excited on his twenty-first birthday. Oh gosh, she had butterflies in her tummy. They fluttered like a million bees in a hive. Maria shakily opened up the test kit and pulled out what she needed most... the instructions. "Okay, okay," she said.

Maria looked them over. She tucked a strand of her black hair behind her ear. "So pee in a cup and then dip the testing stick into it. Seems simple enough." She shrugged. Maria, though, was already starting to get emotional. She had no idea why. She begged that the test result would be negative, but at the same time, she wanted it to be positive. If she was positive, how would Mateo react? He was pretty clear about them having kids when they were older. There was so much at stake right now.

Maria opened up the bathroom sink's cupboard. She pulled out an old, clear cup and held it up to her face. "This should work." She got the tissues ready, just in case. She pushed them to the counter's corner, which was right next to the toilet. Maria unbuckled her jeans and sat down on the seat. Her whole body shook. She felt like her breasts were going to fall right off her chest; they were so sore. Nevertheless, she did what the instructions told her to do. She peed in that cup. She assumed that her nervousness was the reason why she sat there for a whole minute.

Maria wiped, and then she pulled her jeans up. She struggled to her feet. This was so gross. She set the full cup down on the counter. Maria swore that her heart was about to come flying out of her mouth. She checked the test instructions again. "Wait for three minutes after putting the stick in." She heard that three minutes was the average wait time. Maria steadied her hand before she dipped the stick into her urine. Pulling it out, she stuck the test cap over it. Okay, now all she had to do was wait.

It was the longest three minutes of her life. Maria was so scared that she put the box of tissues over the stick. After washing her hands, she paced back and forth in the bathroom. She rubbed them together. Was she overreacting? Some women had their periods later than usual. She and Mateo just got their house.

Finally, the timer on Maria's phone went off. This was it. Were hers and Mateo's lives about to change forever? Honestly, she was too scared to take the tissues off the pregnancy test, but she inhaled deeply to calm herself. A few tears ran down her cheeks. Eventually building up her confidence, she removed the tissues. Her heart almost stopped. "Oh my God," she whimpered.

"Pregnant" was on the stick's screen. Not "Not Pregnant" but "Pregnant".

"No." The tears fell like a fountain. "Please no. This has to be a joke." However, Maria knew it wasn't. She checked the test result again. Surely, her eyes were playing tricks, right? Of course not. "No," Maria repeated. Nevertheless, she started to feel a little less scared. There was a pinch of excitement in her gut. "I'm going to have a baby," she said. "I'm going to have a baby." She pressed the pregnancy test up against her belly. How on Earth was she going to tell Mateo? Maria took the rest of the day to prepare.

After she managed to calm down a little, she took a trip to the supermarket. She walked up and down the Baby aisle, checking everything out. She stopped at a table of black caps that had "Mom" and "Dad" stitched on them. Another young woman soon joined her. She was a few years older than Maria. Her hair was medium-length and brown, and she wore a cute sundress. She also seemed intrigued by the hats.

"Are you expecting, too?" she asked.

Maria nodded. "Yes. I found out today."

"It was yesterday for me," the woman said. She picked up one of each cap. "This is our second. What about you?"

"It's our first," Maria answered. She tossed two of the caps into her buggy. "My fiancé does not know yet. I won't be able to tell him until he comes home tonight."

"Hm." The woman nodded. She leaned up against her own buggy. "What does he do?"

"He's a Pinta Park Ranger," Maria said.

"Oh wow! Really?" The woman's eyes sparkled like flickering headlights. "Can he use magic? I hear most Pinta Rangers can."

From out of nowhere, Maria could feel herself growing emotional again. "He-He can," she said in a choked voice. She rubbed her eyes.

"Why are you sad?" asked her new friend. She pushed off her buggy.

"He-He's just been working so hard lately," Maria explained. "We also weren't supposed to have kids until we were older."

To comfort her, the woman took her shoulder. "Hey, hey, it's okay. We're unplanned, too. It happens all the time, so you're not alone. Yes, it's scary at first, but when you hold that cute, little bundle for the first time, all that fear just washes away. You'll feel so blessed. Trust me."

"Thank you." Maria took a deep breath. "I'm Maria. What's your name?"

"Annie," the woman replied.

***

Mateo got home that evening around 5:30. Maria jumped when she saw his Convertible pulling into the driveway. Instantly, she prepared herself: both physically and mentally. Mateo usually took a few minutes to get his stuff together before he came into the house. He most likely would head straight for the kitchen, so Maria decided to surprise him there. She leaned a small white board up against a few vases of kitchen utensils. "We're Pregnant!" was written on it. She set the dad cap and positive pregnancy test in front of it. She had to be strong. Inhaling deeply, she patted down her hair and came within reach of the front door. Just like the test result, all she had to do now was wait.

Before long, the front door opened, and in walked her weary but handsome fiancé. He hid a yawn behind his hand. Dressed nicely in his orange and black uniform, he took his magic rope off his belt. At the sight of Maria, he said, "Oh, Maria. This is unexpected." It was uncommon for Maria to wait by the door for him when he came home from work. He wondered what was up.

She rocked back and forth on her heels. "Hi, Mateo. Did you have a good day?" She took his ranger cap off his head and ruffled his short black hair. She and he shared a quick kiss.

Mateo massaged Maria's shoulders and said, "It was fine, except Professor Eryx went ahead and gave me my next mission. There's a village of sickly elves who need help."

Maria gulped. "Sickly elves? And you said 'yes'?" She and Mateo never spent time together anymore. She understood that he loved his job, but still.

Mateo hung his rope up on the coat rack next to the door. He kicked off his boots. "I can't just let them die. That's not the ranger way. I leave Monday."

"But, baby..." Maria's voice trailed. Just saying the word "baby" caused a huge shudder down her spine.

Mateo retrieved his cap from her. "All right. What's wrong?"

Maria hesitated. She inhaled deeply. "So-Something's happened."

Mateo chuckled. "What? Did the refrigerator stop working again? Do I need to take another trip to Home Repair?" He pecked Maria's cheek and then moved down the length of her neck. He pulled away. "Let me get something to eat, and then we can talk about it. I promise that with my next paycheck, I'll get us that new fridge."

"No, it's not the refrigerator," Maria stammered. "It's something more–something wonderful."

Mateo gave her a funny look. He started toward the kitchen, but Maria cut in front of him. She dove into it and leaped in front of the white board, cap, and pregnancy test. She hooked her fingers behind her. Maria smiled feebly. She was both excited and nervous for Mateo's reaction.

He yawned again and then he gestured at her. "What's all this?"

Even though she screamed on the inside, Maria still smiled. "Anthony Mateo Brook..." She stepped off to the side. "You're going to be a daddy!"

"What?" Mateo's cap dropped from his hand. He tripped over his foot, but he caught himself on the kitchen doorway. "Wait, you're serious?" He stumbled over to the marble counter and slapped his palms on it. His deep brown eyes examined the white board and cap.

Sniffing, Maria said, "Yes. I found out this morning. Look at the thingy."

Mateo scooped up the pregnancy test. He stared at it for a good minute, speechless, and then asked, "How many did you take?"

"Three. Just to be sure. All were positive," Maria answered. She pointed at the test's screen. "It says I'm four weeks." She returned her hands to her back.

Mateo's face grayed. He felt nauseous. What had he done? He tried his best to shake off the overwhelming anxiety he felt. "You're kidding," he said to his fiancée.

Maria brushed a few more tears away from her eye sockets. "No, I'm not."

Mateo, still trying to take it in, asked, "You missed your period?"

She nodded. "Si. Not only that, but my breasts have been sore all week. They're bloated, babe."

Mateo quickly glanced at her chest. "They do look a little bigger than normal." He tightened his grip on the pregnancy test and turned to face the other direction.

Maria swallowed the huge lump in her throat. She crossed her arms. "Are you excited?"

Mateo turned to face her again. "I am. I just didn't think it would happen this fast. Congratulations, Maria." Still holding back his anxiety, he kissed her again. He then pulled her into a tight hug, but he quickly let her go. His eyes rolled down to her belly. "Oh, sorry, I don't want to hurt it." He kneeled and gave it a gentle pat. "Hola, little guy. How are you doing in there?"

"This is a wonderful time for us, Mateo," Maria sweetly said.

He stood up. "I know it is, but I think I need some time to let it sink in. Excuse me. I'm going to go visit Mamá for a little bit. Besides, she has some brownies for us." Mateo set the pregnancy test back down on the counter. He turned on his heel and left the kitchen. He disappeared out the front door.

Behind, Maria uncrossed her arms. She put her hands in front of her, instead. Frankly, she needed some time to herself, too.

***

Ms. Brook's house, Mateo's mom's, was only a few blocks down from Maria and Mateo's. No matter how hard he begged, she did not want to be too far from her son. It was just who she was.

Her house was a white two-story with black window frames and flower boxes. It was on the corner of the block. Inside it, she was busy at work in the kitchen. Ms. Brook pulled a tray of brownies out of the oven. "Oh, they turned out beautifully!" She fanned the desserts with her glove and then set them off to the side. She opened one of the kitchen's drawers and pulled out some tin foil. "Maria and Mateo are going to love them!"

Right when she said that, her doorbell rang. The woman perked up even more. "That must be Mateo." She let the brownies be so they could cool. Ms. Brook adjusted her apron and her bun, and she headed to the door. Turning the knob, she opened it. "Hello, Mateo Waeo." Except, her smile vanished when she saw him crying hysterically. His face was blood-red and his eyes bloodshot. His nose dripped. "Baby, what's wrong?" Ms. Brook wanted to know.

"Mamá? It wasn't supposed to happen, but it did!" said Mateo's choked voice. He threw himself into his mother's arms. "If you want to get rid of me and tell me that I'm no longer your son, then go ahead!"

Ms. Brook hastily took him over to her living room. She and he took a seat on the large, leather couch. Mateo kicked the coffee table over. Broken glass scattered across the carpet.

Ms. Brook tried her best to calm him. She rocked him in her arms. "What happened?" She grabbed a few tissues from the table next to the couch and rubbed Mateo's nose with them.

"Please, Mamá, I'm not ready!" he sobbed.

"What is going on?" Ms. Brook asked.

Mateo buried his face in her chest. "Maria's pregnant!"

Ms. Brook's first reaction was identical to Mateo's. "What?" She lifted Mateo's head off her chest.

"Maria's pregnant!" he said again. He coughed through all the crying.

"How did this happen?" Ms. Brook inquired.

"That stupid banquet. That stupid banquet!" Mateo slammed the heel of his boot into the couch's leg. "I'm never having another drink. Never!"

"Did you get drunk during it?" Ms. Brook said.

Mateo was so overdramatic, but it made total sense. "I don't even remember doing anything to her! She's four weeks, Mom, so I know it was the banquet! I'm such a horrible son! Just get rid of me and find another kid!"

"Oh, baby, I would never get rid of you." Ms. Brook returned Mateo's head to her chest. "You're my son. I love you. It was an accident. Unplanned pregnancies happen all the time."

"But I'm not ready." Mateo tugged on Ms. Brook's arm as if he were a little kid all over again.

She patted the back of his head. "Nobody is. Don't worry. I'll get y'all through this. I promise. You're not a horrible son, Mateo. You're the best son I could ask for. You're special."

"I hate being an adult," he mumbled.

"It gets easier as you get older. Trust me," Ms. Brook promised. She let him have his cry. Once he was a bit calmer and not shaking as much, she sat him up again. Ms. Brook took his hand. "Do you want to stay here tonight? It may help. Also, the brownies are done. I'm sure you're hungry."

"Please?" Mateo asked.

Ms. Brook chuckled. She kissed his forehead. "I'll call Maria. I'm sure she'll understand."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 2.1K 67
|Featured in @mystery, @generalfiction, @SpeculativeFiction and @Fantasy| Dreams are something everyone sees but can these dreams turn into real life...
2.3K 508 45
"Just remember, William. . . you shall not fall. You shall not fear, there's no time to fear. This world is on the brink of change, leylines are frag...
1.3K 22 12
I started to step back slowly. " please I am sorry , I didn't mean to invade in your privacy " I scared of his reaction the way he staring in to my s...
217K 8K 64
"People you trust? What about her? What happens when she's stuck with people she doesn't trust?" When William Granger agreed to babysit for a few hou...