THE WAY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE.

By drsaheb

Panic gushed through her veins, unaware of the solution she struggled to push away all her negative thoughts... More

Ready To Go
CELEBRATION
AUTHOR'S NOTE
HERE YOU GO
ORIENTATION DAY
FRIENDS FOREVER
UNKNOWN CONNECTION
LET'S BUNK THE STUPID CLASS
DAMN IT MOSQUITO
WARNING SIGNS
CRAZINESS IN THE AIR
PACK YOUR BAGS
WHAT THE HELL THEY WANT

EYES ON THIRD BUTTON

38 8 0
By drsaheb

I felt my bed was shaking Or someone was shaking me. Is it earthquake? Otherwise no one will dare to disturb me in my sleep.

Soon someone started to jump on my bed. Who has a death wish? , I thought.

"Go away. Let me sleep. " I said flatly.

"No, wake up. " An irritated voice disturbed me.

"I'll stab you after I get up. " I tried to scare her.

" It's important. Now wake up or else seniors will drag you to the Hall by themselves. "The voice roared.

That warning helped me to wake up at lightning speed. I saw Amara's funny irritated face.

" What did you say? " I asked to reconfirm my hearing ability.

"Our super seniors are coming to have a friendly interaction with us. Now go and wear something formal. " She said in a bored tone.

"Ohk. Thanks for waking me up. Sorry for the torture. " I apologized.

"It's okk. It's even more tough to wake me. We will be even soon. " She said and walked out of the room.

Who will tell her that I'm already ahead of her because of her devil alarm?

Me, absolutely not.

I wore t shirt and trouser. Combed my hair with my hands and got ready for lovely seniors waiting for us.

What is blessing of God?

Let me tell you.

Standing in a row, in front of vultures but you got your friends beside you in the same situation, holding hands and whispering nonsense and desperately controlling your laughter is blessing. We all were gossiping about our seniors and openly judging them by their looks.

But never ever judge a book by its cover. You got that.

We also got that after hearing a roar from very polite looking girl with 5'5 height. By looks you can tell she is a harmless homo sapien. But no, her bite is way more dangerous than tigress.

"What are looking at so openly, han? Don't you have manners? Staring is rude but you all are ogling us for past 5 minutes. Is this your etiquette? Without having basic manners , you dream to be a doctor. Awesome. " She taunted.

You all heard about silence before storm. Well, we are all experiencing it.
All our funny remarks flew out of the window. Only silence mixed with nervousness caged us.

In medical schools, there is no ragging. There is healthy interaction to teach us basic manners. You got me, right. ;)

"You will call all the seniors as didi(sister) and bhai(brother) accordingly. No funny business will be entertained. " Another one informed us.

We all were just standing there like statues and trying hard not to laugh. Oh come on, who want to call your hot senior as brother. Me, absolutely not.

Are they scared for their boyfriends?

Don't worry sisters , in my whole batch I can feel only two or three threats for you, I thought and more over who will be interested in a boy who is not able to control himself, I thought.

"Head down and eyes at 90°." One ordered.

Eyes at 90°.come on sister, we are not gonna eat you or something. But we did as we were told.

"I think someone is having problem keeping their eyes down. Do one thing, keep your eyes on your third button of your shirt. You will get to know where to keep your eyes whenever you are in front of us. Understood? " A third girl bumped in the chaos.

Ufff.....

"So, start counting the girls. How many of you are present? Who is your girl representative? Come in front and do the counting. " The first one asked.

Our girl's representative (GR) started the counting. There were 53 girls in total and three were absent as they haven't reported yet.

"Now, each and everyone introduce yourself. Your GR will give a demo so that you will know how to do it. " The second one beamed.

Our GR started, -" My name is Preeti Anand. I passed my +2 from blah blah school, blah blah district and state in 2016. My NEET score is xyz. My hobbies are singing and dancing. "

"Wow, you like to sing and dance. Why not to show us your little talent? " The second one again beamed. She must be enjoying this. Here we are all trembling.

She played a song and asked her to dance. God, this is so embarrassing. What if someone is bathroom singer. Now I have to think of a hobby that is impossible to do right here. What about swimming? hehe, shut up.

Skating?
You dumbo fell so many times, you can't even skate to save your life. But I liked it though I'm not good at it. What if someone has skating shoes. You won't be able to sit on your butt for month.

I hadn't finished my thought process and my turn came so fast.
"My name is Thea Mehra. I passed my +2 from xyz school, Haryana. My NEET score is pqr. My hobby is cooking. I also like to play badminton. " I introduced myself.

Woah, cooking.... Seriously.
Hey, don't be rude I can cook to save my life. I like to do some experiments whenever I'm sad. So it's ok..

"Well, we will like to enjoy your cooking in future. Next. " The third one said.

Relief washed over me. Thank God.

Like that everyone introduced themselves. Many girls performed dance while some girls sang a song.
Overall it was good.

"As I can see, there are girls from outside of this state. Let me ask you if anyone is having any problem during studies? " The first one asked.

I raised my head a little to see that her eyes were on me.
"Sometimes when professor speak in native language, it's quite difficult to understand. " I replied.

"You have to adjust yourself as soon as possible. There are many girls in your senior batches who are from other states and their accent is better than native people. Learn as fast as you can. " She said strictly.

I nodded.

"Now, you all have some tasks to do. First, you have to find out who we are. Use your connection or on Facebook, we don't care. Second, you have to learn names of your batchmates by their faces of course. Third, you have to wear kurti and leggings during your class. Fourth, wearing apron is must. No excuses. Fifth, you can't wear jeans as long as you are in first year. Last but not least, know all your professors, HODs and union members. " The first one explained all the things.

"From tomorrow onwards, there will be practice for upcoming college fest. Whether you participate or not you have to come to auditorium. You will be there from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Again, no excuses. You can participate in any activity as per your interest. "
"Trust me you are going to have alot of entertainment. " The third one winked.

"And yeah. You will follow the dress code in auditorium too but you don't have to wear your apron. " The second one said.

With this they were gone, finally. We can mimic them. ;))

Everyone is imitating their tone and there hand movements as they speak.

This is going to be fun.

****

Next day, we woke up unwillingly and got ready for the whole day torture. It's so hot right here and this apron is killing me.

In second lecture, I noticed someone playing with my hair. I turned my head slowly to notice a short statured girl.
She flushed and apologized.
I muttered -" No problem ".

After sometime she started again. I can understand as this lecture is so boring, everyone needs a distraction.

" Umm, your hair are beautiful. Which shampoo you use? " She asked.

"Nothing special. Just normal one. " I answered.

"Then this must be in your genes. " She said. I chuckled.

****
At the end of day, I was exhausted beyond my imagination.

But we can't rest, can we?

No baby, no. Auditorium full of vultures is still waiting for us.
We all dressed in formal attire as we were told, reached at our grave.

Our auditorium is very big, can accommodate almost 650 students at a time. We all waited for our union members to come.

A group of almost 21 'trying to be cool and sophisticated' people consisting of 5-6 girls and rest boys entered the hall.
We kept our gaze low as our didi's taught us the other night.
They asked us to stand up and we all did. We can show them respect as they are our seniors and they will be helpful during our rounds and studies.

A normal person can't keep his/her eyes glued to the floor all the time right. So, me and Koshi got relaxed in our seats. I slowly observed each and every person trying to remember their faces. I may sound like a creep but I observe every person around me without getting caught.
You can call it my speciality or may be I'm plain boring person to whom no one pays attention.

A person with average height and strong aura addressed the impatient looking junior's crowd.

"Good evening guys! I'm Devin Ghosh president of union of 2018-19 batch. Today is our first interaction. Many of you have seen the members during oath taking ceremony. If you have any problem regarding adjustment, study, health or anything, you can contact me. Remember all the members by face and name. Add every member's contact number in your contact list. "
"There are different different societies like cultural, academic, AVS, SSG and athletic society. For each society ,we need a representative. So whoever wants to be the one can show his /her interest. "
" You have to come here daily. There will be junior senior interaction. You will get to know about senior and obviously it will also be easy for us to help you. "
He finished his speech.

After him, rest of the members introduced themselves and advised us to keep 'minimum decorum' during class and behave accordingly.

AVS Secretary took the mic -" So, are you excited? " He asked.

There was a faint noise saying "yes bhai".
He laughed and continued, - " No need to be shy. Show some enthusiasm. "
"So, how's the Josh?" (Josh- enthusiasm)

"High sir" We all replied with a new energy.

They got settled on their seats behind our batch. They called each and every person one by one for introduction. First our didi's from their batch asked about us and our settlement.

Now comes interaction with senior boys.

Two senior boys called me.
"Hey! Introduce yourself as didi's taught you. " One with black hoodie asked.

I introduced myself like tenth time today. Don't they get tired of it. Nonetheless I introduced myself.

"So, why you left Haryana and came here miles away from your home town. " The one with red shirt asked.

It has two answers :- first, I wanted myself as far as possible from my hometown so that I can live with relief without any nagging.
Second :- there was some legal dispute going on in Haryana counseling.

So I chose second one and answered.

Then one with black hoodie asked -" People in Haryana are very wealthy. I heard about land over there is quite profitable. You are resident of Haryana, you can help me to buy some. "

I wanted to laugh at this stupid question but I said - " I'm not a property dealer. " politely.

Then the one in red shirt asked - " Why you chose this college , with this rank you can get any other college better than this? "

" This college is holding xy ranking in India and I had put at xy number in my preference as well. " I replied.

"Do you think this college deserve this ranking in India? " Same red shirt boy asked me.

"I neither visited every college nor surveyed , so I have no idea. " I again replied.

He again asked - " I think you are a great observer. What do you think about me? In which year do you think I'm studying? "

" Sorry to say, but you don't look like a medical student to me. " I said with an irritated tone. Why they are torturing me with nonsense questions?

Both the boys laughed.

"I think you are right. He is my friend from non medical. He came here just to have fun. " The one with black hoodie replied.

God, I want to punch him squarely in the face.

The boy with 'intention of having fun' said - " It's nice to meet you. You can go now. You seem quite irritated with this session. "

"You are observant too. " I replied and came back to my place.

Soon, Koshi and Sam also returned and shared there stories.

Devin clapped to get everyone's attention:- " So guys, today's session ends here. We will continue the remaining tomorrow. Don't forget to give your names to be representative of your desired society. Good night and take care. "

All the girls headed to their hostel as it was night time some boys accompanied us to our hostel.

We all chattered about the hectic day and slept like a corpse right after dinner on our beds.

Hey fellas, hope you doing good.
Take some time and vote for this chapter if you liked it. <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

400K 31.1K 61
Thank you my anonymous reader for the beautiful cover ❤️ I love you ❤️ Dr Sanchi Prabhu's life had been a roller coaster ride. Being Sydney's finest...
6.9K 563 8
A short story. Two People. Ex-bestfriends. One is a doctor, Another is the hospital MD. She can't wait to shoot him with words, he can't stop her...
50.8K 1.9K 45
"Arush! Please don't do or say something that you're going to regret later." "Just stop it, Aadhya! I thought you would know your limits but no, you...
882K 56.3K 54
• An arranged marriage love story • ❝ His soul was tainted with darkness, Hers was full of light. One without the other, they knew they wouldn't surv...