The Queen's Duplicate [USUK]

By ElaineChism

'I have no need for you, I simply desire your King.' King and Queen of Spades, Alfred and Arthur, live th... More

Wonted
Words of Solitude
Don't Worry
Accident
Invitation
Expenses
Relaxation and Causation
Arrival of Anticipation
Explanation
Commence
The Plan
Belief
Start of a Journey
Anguish
Reunion
Together at Last
Caught the King
Trapped King
Evaluation
Presided King
My Darling
Surface Once More
Tribulation
Ready to Start
Knock Off
Superficial Exterior
Proceed Again
Switch Saviours
Not Like Other Kingdoms

Honesty

11 2 0
By ElaineChism

Chapter 9

     Strolling through the crowds he watched as people attempted not to turn their heads, assembled in high neck dresses, many of them having thick lines of lace sewn into them, beads placed around the bodice, other's in pressed suits that mimicked colours of the one they had escorted there. He admired his people, it was common for him to land in the middle of town, before his crowning, brewing up a storm, often by having kids hanging onto his arms, a small crowd gathering to surround him. He had always attracted a crowd, those who were involved in the monarchy never stepping foot when he was around, many adolescents often treading behind his shadow, kids being asked to be picked up, with their parents attempting to tell them they couldn't. The people had established their King before they had come to fully know him, their kids gaining a liking to the young man who would often walk their streets, asking to be spun or carried. It truly had become peaceful, and the people hadn't been fully aware of whom they had become so well liked too, rather it was just a young member of the court who didn't mind roughing up his physical appearance in order to assist. For the town to find that it wasn't one of the noble families but rather the future King had many appalled, a few were frightened and kept their distance once the news had broke within the first few weeks, nevertheless the boy they knew never changed, simply he just became a friend who they could rely upon during harsh winters. It was true he was easily distinguished, based on how other's described him that was to say, his hair being the dead give away, yet he found one person had made themselves slightly more acclaimed among the town, a rumour having spread about the man who sought a hearing with those who took up residence in the royal court, though constantly being denied. 

    Alfred had grown extremely curious at that point, wondering who would seek such a high demand to make an appearance in-front of the court, especially since hearings were often set alone for crimes that were more than petty thievery. Once the rumour had made it's way past the gates restrictions were set in motion for the monarch and his advisor, another one wouldn't be born until they were close to the end of their life spans, and without one the Kingdom's were often set off balance by the struggle of power; while the person was seeking an appearance there was no reason as to why, and with the new King having been crowned not so long ago people within the walls became anxious it was a possible assassin. Upon a dreary day the doors had finally slammed open, startling Yao who almost fell over himself as the monarch reached to help steady his advisor. Watching as the other took a few deep breaths muttering under his breath how he was going to have a heart attack at this rate, and clenching onto the robes of the King attempting to steady himself.

     Gazing in-front of them a man walked in with a grace, you could hear through the loud clicks of his shoes he meant business though, people rushing in after him as he glared furiously at the King who couldn't draw his gaze from him. Messy blonde hair damp from the slight down-pour, a loose dress shirt and tie with mud covering every inch of his clothes, and the biggest brows the two had ever seen. If Yao had been given a clear view of the other, who still held his hand on the other's back, he would have slapped him, his jaw almost unhinged and face red. "You!" 

      Storming up the steps Yao stiffened, guards trying to catch the other who pushed them back with no mercy to be seen in how quick he swiped at them, took to a halt when facing the taller one. Alfred had become aware that his face was more red than the women who would use beet root as a blush, but found the other's fury quite humorous when the other stood at his height, shorter by more than a few inches. That humour dissipated as the other tightened his death glare, ready to drag the King down by his tie before lowering his hand.   

    Yanking down the hem of the shirts collar, "Remove this mark this instant!" His brows furrowed even more, baring the canines of his jaws structure as he yelled.

    The room fell silent, the guards seemed terrified of whom stood atop the mount, in-front of the thrones and seemingly holding a power they had not yet come to the full understanding of, and the once aforementioned was practically slack jawed at what he saw, Yao only remaining on his feet by the sheer luck that Alfred had never removed his arm from his back. Okay, now it made sense why this person was demanding a hearing with the court, that is if this was the same person, Alfred thought looking at the other who seemed to be lighting more than just a mental fire. 

     Finally regaining control of himself he glanced down, "Who are you?"

     The other seemed to lose his composure, having to take a breath as his fists clenched, "That is not of importance." Fixing his clothes he sneered when realizing all of the mud that now lay on his once firmly pressed clothes, he was simply trying to dispose of this mark, it shouldn't have to be this damn difficult, nor should he have to inform anyone of whom he was. If those guards would have willingly allowed him to just enter the gates he wouldn't have had to make the attempt to scaling the palace walls, only to be found as soon as he almost made it over as having to knock one out cold.

     Removing his arm he reached out to the other, who seemed to allow it despite his hands ready to scratch at the Spadian King. Lowering the collar he looked once again upon the mark, which had taken up it's place on the left side of this terrifying mans neck. A Spade decorated in lines that turned themselves into small swirls as they rotated around a 'Q' placed into the middle. The Queen's Mark, something that hadn't been seen for more than a few centuries, typically someone was appointed as the Queen and often taught small defense spells to cover for the Queen's actual magical abilities, making the most worthy people of marriage those who had come from ancestors who had once possessed magical abilities. While the male heir was typically born into the bloodline, their stronger and more resourceful companion was often found outside the walls, yet those who had made an appearance of the mark dwindled. Whether people simply didn't want to give up their lives to live the Royal life, or simply the mark had decided to become stagnant in the past was unknown to even the most knowledgeable; however, many believed it was the former rather than the ladder. Yet, here in-front of them lay someone who had willingly come to the Spade Kingdom, a mark showing on their skin, and was demanding for it to be removed.

     Yao took up the liberty before the other said something stupid as he typically did, coming between the two, "Would you mind remaining during the night so we have more time to discuss this matter?" 

     The two looked at the Jack, Alfred knowing full well that the marks couldn't be removed so there was no reason to hold the other for the night, on the other hand he felt that if the irritated person was to know that this was his fate forever, they would be unable to find him. 

     "Wow, actually getting to sleep instead of being in a constant squabble, sure why shouldn't I waste one more night."  The two Spades turned to eachother, not knowing how to fully take the answer, "That was sarcasm. I'm going back, if you can't remove it I'll cover it or find someone who can." He spat, more irked than he previously had and turning on his heel. 

     On instinct, Alfred snatched the other's wrist, who in turn sunk his nails into the hand that was clasped around him. Unfazed he didn't even flinch, only retaining his grip, Arthur hadn't wanted to admit it but it terrified him how the Spade King was so unbothered no matter the force he placed down, hurting his own fingers in the process, "I'm afraid we can't let you leave." 

     That was it, there it was, his fight or flight responses were now triggered to a degree he didn't even know he had, but the other remained calm. Well of-course he would remain calm, he wasn't the one being held against his will.  At this rate he no longer cared if he fell down the steps or considered a criminal, he needed his wrist free, which led into a fit of panic as he yanked and scratched to release himself from the stronger grip, before they were thrown back by a blinding light. Arthur tumbling down the steps with less than the grace of an angry goose before landing down, Alfred at the top grabbing at his head as he looked down to see burn marks across his clothing and partially on his skin despite it not burning at the moment. 

      "Alright, are we done acting like children?" The Jack queried to the other two, waving the guards out of the room. "Since Alfred is an idiot, allow me re-phrase his words." Gliding down the steps he let himself slip onto one knee in-front of Arthur, who was still flat on his back, his forearms providing what little height they could as his breathing remained shallow and course, "We need you, your majesty."

      Looking back on what the two had once been, and how they had come to not fight at every chance was a miracle to Alfred. Arthur made his first impression in those ten seconds alright, surely had the monarch not made himself out to be a fool, then the other had some serious anger issues that concerned the Kingdom once it had been found out that the one who had been demanding a hearing was to be the crowned Queen. Yes, the Royal's had caused quite a stir within their civilians when reflecting upon the entire situation. It was remarkable that the two were able to not only ease their citizens, but keep each other in check, maybe that was due to how they were bonded through the marks, but Alfred would rather think it was simply because the two enjoyed one another's company. 

    Running into someone he reached out to assist, only to find the King of Clubs at the end of his arm, he took it with an emotionless face as he stood, "Looking for your Queen?" He questioned as he came to his feet.

    Hesitantly the other responded, having been unsure if the search was a good thing to provide or not, "Yes, I am. Have you-" He begins before being strangulated.

    "If I am to be right, I last saw him close to the rose bushes." Placing a hand on the others shoulder he gave a small nod, "He's probably looking for you as well." 

     Having keened his way out of the crowd, having passed the other monarchs who had been discussing the topic upon an immortal King, while Alfred was more interested in finding his other half, he found the topic intriguing. Standing near the other monarchs, somehow not crowded around by anyone else, he started to listen in, only catching small snippets of what they were saying. 

     "Have you seen his caffeine intake?" 

     "How the hell is he King, and yet Arthur is his Queen. I can't be the only one who thinks Arthur is from centuries ago." 

     "Okay, here me out, he ate Arthurs cooking! His cooking placed people in the hospital more than once, apparently it's darker than the night sky." 

     Oh, they were talking about him.

     Francis pulled his head up from the circle the rest had made with one another, almost catching Alfred off guard as he started a fast-paced walk towards the roses.  It didn't take much time before the overwhelming feelings of being caught in the act of spying in on the others conversation to evaporate, surely it couldn't mean much since they were just making speculations. That's simply all there was to it, but he couldn't lie the title 'Immortal King' was pretty cool, he hoped it would persevere to some extent. Although, Arthur wasn't that old, there wasn't much of an age difference between the two so he was unsure of how to respond to that, his cooking was terrible on the other hand, even Alfred was surprised he survived despite how many tums he had to consume in one night to get through the pain his food had stirred. 

     "Arthur!" The other turned, almost losing their balance as the back of their heels practically sunk in the earth near the bushes. Seeing the King running toward him with the velocity of a train. 

     Yet it was too late to tell the other to stop now, as he watched the other slip on a piece of wet earth and almost fall on his face, dumbfounded when he didn't make the impact, "You know, you should really be more careful." Arthur responded, a sigh of defeat slipping through as the other regained their composure. 

     "Huh, yeah I guess so." He laughed, tugging at the others sleeve to lead them farther back. 

     The two spent the rest of the evening together, listening from afar as people danced and sang, often catching the other Royal's wandering around in the back before an invisibility spell was cast upon the two, shielding them from sight as they lay on the bench speaking. Everything was going better than the two had envisioned, and overall the gloom that usually resided over the Queen seemed to be a sense of ease and contemplation. 

     "I do wonder how I ever slept so well these past few nights." He pondered to himself, only catching a small glimpse as the other started fidgeting with his clothes and looking away, that was right, Alfred had forgotten all about the potion after this morning, it hadn't come across his mind but now it seemed even more messed up than it originally had, "What is it?" 

     He had to confess, otherwise the guilt would eat away at his mere flesh, "Yao and I might have concocted a potion and slipped it into your tea." He murmured, looking down in shame as he knew the other wouldn't respond well. 

    How right he ever was, the other took a standing immediately, "You what!" 

    "It was for your own good!" Alfred retorted, trying to ease the other's anger only to be pushed back against the bench. 

    "I was perfectly fine." Scowling he let go, "You know, that's a criminal offense, typically I would demand for you to be locked up." 

     "Arthur-" He attempted to interject, before being cut off.

     "You're lucky you're the King." With one nasty glare he turned away, walking back into the castle, and Alfred sitting having wished he could take back what he had just said. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 460 51
Alfred and Arthur had been dating for a little while, but now they had been just drifting apart. They didn't feel the same way they did when they fir...
3K 177 6
UsUk-Completed Story Alfred and Arthur go out on a date that they haven't had in a while. Arthur could tell that something was wrong with Alfred and...
3.4K 110 12
Arthur Kirkland (England) is fed up with Alfred wanting to celebrate July 4th with him, but is concerned when just days before the big celebration Al...
161 3 10
It was a grand scheme, the date would be months before the King's coronation, said King would be under the watch of a trusted captain and second in c...