Just Around the Corner || A G...

By MWrites00

Tags: G. Weasley X OC Smut fluff Post-war timeline Mature themes! Forbidden lovers trope Secret affair D... More

Author's Note
Introduction
Remembrance
The First Step
Return and Offers
A Day's Work
Hard Liquor
A Discovery
Inventory
Scrambled Eggs
Conflict Resolution
Better Than Expected
The Lunch Break
Labels
A Monumental First
A Visitor With Interest
Great Expectations
Undesirable Milestones
Sensitive Subjects
To France
And Back
A Trip to The Burrow
Surprises
Reflections Parallel
The Ball
Strange Days
Broken Glass
Safe Haven
Insomnia
Progress and Pranks
The Sun and The Moon
Unlucky in Love
A Revelation
It Comes in Threes
The Sun Sets
The Crystal Ball
Tied Up
The Arcus Manor
One Last Promise
Eternally Grateful
From His Eyes
Body and Soul
Recrudesce Overdue
Out in the Open
Penance
Conclusion
ANNOUNCEMENT
Years Later

Flowers Fall

3.6K 117 531
By MWrites00

Song Recommendation: Will be commented within the story...I dont want to give anything away just yet ;)

The flowers in the office have wilted. No longer soft to the touch. Petals poisoned with parasitic pollution.

Cassandra didn't seem to mind the deterioration as she stared at them, watching a crinkled petal fall to the desk. Something new was blossoming within, she just hadn't identified it yet.

She barely noticed the door open, the man behind her calling her name.

"Cassandra you should be upstairs right?" He stated.

She turned to him, smiling at the familiarity, cupping his face, kissing him softly on the mouth. "Yeah honey, I'll head upstairs."

She left without a second thought, without looking back, without recognizing the shocked look of the man's face.

Fred's face.

He stood there paralyzed for a moment, bewildered by his twin's girlfriend who had never mixed them up before.

Fred was conflicted with whether to tell George or not, knowing how he constantly worried about her nowadays. George had told him just this morning how he thought Cassandra was almost fully healed. He couldn't stand to crush his upbeat spirits.

Besides, people constantly mixed the two of them up, it actually allowed half of their pranks to work due to their likeness. How could he worry about Cassandra when his own mother couldn't even tell them apart?

With that reasoning Fred continued on his day as if nothing had happened. He couldn't fault her for a silly mixup.

George had spent the morning wearing the biggest smile, pushing his cheeks up to sit high on his face.

He and Cassandra had frequent intimacy but, something about last night felt different. Better (if that was even possible). Perfect. The best sex of his life. Something in it felt like the world had shifted its gravity, revolving around only them now.

For the first time in their entire relationship, he didn't feel wrong for fantasizing about a future with her. Those daydreams were no longer guilty pleasures. 

Maybe their future was near, just around the corner, just within reach.

He kept glancing at the time, so eager to see her on his lunch break. The store was filled to the brim today, many people were coming in for the big sale.

Around twenty minutes later was when George normally took a break, yet he looked over to his left, seeing Fred managing a long time at the cash register.

He sighed, knowing what he should do. He walked over, tapping him on the shoulder. "Freddie, you go take lunch, I'll cover the register."

"Really mate?" Fred didn't look up the coins he was counting, quickly making exact change and handing it to the customer.

"Yeah you've done a lot for me recently, go on then."

George watched Fred bounce up the stairs to get lunch, feeling his own stomach growl. He desperately wanted to talk to Cassandra about her possibly moving in, at least get a feel for what she wanted for her future but, chatting and lunch would have to wait.

__________

Going up the stairs, Fred was slightly hesitant to see Cassandra. He knew their encounter in the office was a simple mistake, he had barely thought about it since it happened, but what if she did it again? He was not looking forward to having any uncomfortable conversations with George or Cassandra.

Hopefully she would just apologize and he could laugh it off with a smooth joke.

When he opened the door to the loft Cassandra was sitting on the couch, sifting through the package that had arrived last night (one she eventually traded Mrs. Cuddlesworth for), though he suspected she had only started opening it this morning. She seemed glued to the letter she'd picked up, scanning the lines quickly.

"Hey Cassie, nice letter?"

She grunted a half assed response not even looking up. "G can you grab my tea from off the table?"

He paused again, clearing his throat, "Cassandra, it's Fred."

She looked up, shaking her head as if trying to clear a murky mind, then laughed lightly. "Oh I'm sorry I hadn't looked up, how's your day Fred?"

He smiled, trying to find some witty comeback but falling short. Nevertheless, he brought her the tea then made his lunch. "I'm making sandwiches, you want one?"

"I don't have much of an appetite but I'm sure your brother would like one."

They stayed in silence for a moment more but neither seemed to mind. Fred finally broke it, asking, "Have you been feeling okay?"

Cassandra snapped her head to look at him, zoning back into the world. "Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine."

Fred figured it was a rather short response for her, also finding it odd that it wasn't accompanied by an eye roll. "Sleeping okay?" He inquired.

"Oh lovely, I slept in today and had the loveliest little dream."

"Was that after I told you to head up?"

She was glancing over the box again, reaching out for the letter. Fred had lost her focus again as a faint simper ghosted her complexion for a short second. Maybe it was the contents of the letter. Maybe it was the dream she had earlier. Either way she wasn't paying him any attention.

Fred had no idea if she truly realized her mistake from the office but he decided to not bother with it.

Just as he was finishing up his last bite the door swung open, George Weasley large and smiling wide as she searched for Cassandra.

She barely looked up from the box as he entered, causing his smile to falter.

Fred was itching to leave, "I'm going to finish my sandwich in the office then get back on the floor." 

George moved to sit beside Cassandra, watching as she quickly tucked away the letter. George took her now free hands in his, waiting for her to turn her attention to him. "Cass?" He uttered, moving one hand to the side of her face, turning her to look at him.

He soon felt his chest swell with fear, it seemed as though she had fallen back in her progression as she stared through him. She didn't melt into his soft caress, her features seemed more dazed than ever. Eventually she seemed to focus in on the moment, "Oh George, you're here! How was your day?" 

"...Just fine darling, how are you? You seem a little lost." He whispered the last part, fearful it would upset her.

"Huh? Oh sorry...I was just trying to remember something....guess I lost my train of thought," She mumbled, almost unsure of her syllables flying. George expected her to press her pillowsoft lips to his, but she didn't move an inch.

"Maybe you should take a shower and rest while I finish up my work day, I always seem to remember things I've lost the most then," George smiled.

Cassandra nodded, though tucking the letter under her shirt when George wasn't looking. She wasn't sure what had compelled her to do so, she knew she felt better when it was near.

While Cassandra took an outrageously long shower George had a quick bite of a peanut butter sandwich while looking over the box Cassandra had been so fixated on. Inside were folded clothes and a few old books. He picked up one of them, running his calloused fingers over the upraised spine; Romeo and Juliet.

Clearly these were Cassandra's things. Luna must have snuck over there and put a box together for her, that's why she was so happy about the letter. Maybe seeing things from the place she had shared with Pucey had caused her some distress, stirred old memories. Either way, he could fault her for having a lot on her mind. 

George shifted through the box again though no letter was present.

He didn't think much of it as he took the cardboard to his bedroom and opened the bottom drawer that he had set aside for her. With the flick of his wand the clothes flew inside. He then placed some of her fancier clothes on hangers in his closet, smiling to himself when he saw her clothes beside his, her books on his desk.

The sweet humming in the shower had stopped, Cassandra returning minutes later with an orange towel tied around her body. 

"Hello darling, want to take that nap now? Once i'm finished here I need to head back down," George called, not looking away from the closet.

Cassandra hadn't noticed what he was up to, simply nodding to herself as she changed and climbed in bed, the letter folded in her palm. George walked over, pressing his lips to hers for the briefest minute, then turned to leave, heading back to work. 

She was actually glad to rest, her subconscious had been showing her flashes of a better reality, one where everything smelled divine, one where she was loved, one where she loved him earnestly.

__________

George had decided to be the one to close, letting Fred take off a bit earlier. He was arranging the love potions, lining them up, thinking about the heavenly woman in his bed.

George was practically running up the stairs, so hopeful for the direction he wanted life to travel. 

Though George finally entered the apartment, it was quiet, dark.

He expected Cassandra to still be asleep, catching up from the loss of last night, which anytime he thought about made me grin.

Things were finally getting better.

He felt slightly nervous walking down the hall, cracking his knuckles and wiping his palms, practicing in his head over and over how to properly ask her...I mean it's not everyday you ask someone to move in with you.

During the second half of work he had checked with Fred, making sure he was okay if their loft became a three party household. He expected some sort of backlash but none came, Fred was totally on board.

So he figured that once he strung together the right phrase, it would be a simple answer.

Though, he never expected to push open his bedroom door and see Cassandra with a large trunk, sitting on the floor.

Putting her clothes away. 

Putting the things he had spent time unpacking, back into the box. 

His shoulders drooped, his spine bowing under the pressure he could feel culminating in the air as he watched her, the world slowing down.

"Cassandra...what are you doing?"

She replied as if it were trivial chores, "Packing."

George seemed to lose the breath he was clinging to, "Packing? Why?"

"I need to go."

Gravity seemed to change, "Go? What? Go where?"

"I just need to leave George."

Every cell in his body was alert now, nothing in the world mattering more than finding answers, getting her to stay. "What on Earth, why? Why are you leaving? Did I do something?"

She said nothing as she moved around him, going to his desk, stockpiling her books.

He moved with her, standing as close as he could, as if magnets could possibly pull them together, as if being as close as possible could bring back the Cassandra he had worshiped last night. "Are you going to your parents house? Luna? Why do you need to leave in such a hurry? Do we need to go into hiding or something? What's happened?"

She didn't look at him, "If I don't go now, I'll never get out."

His hands started to shake as he tried to reach out for her but she shook him off.

She started towards the door, heading out into the hallway. "I'll see him soon, I'll see him soon," mumbling to herself.

George followed behind her into the kitchen, each step feeling heavier than the last. "Him?  Who.... Who are you going to? Please tell me you are not going to your apartment."

She said nothing.

"Please rethink this— don't go," George begged but Cassandra pressed on, collecting her things from this apartment.

"I don't understand what's changed! You told me you hated him!" He trailed behind her as she continued her mission, never looking him in the eye.

"Cassandra, what's wrong? What did I do? Please!" He was shaking, voice raising, chest wilting.

"I have to go. Now," Cassandra uttered with no emotion.

"Blimey Cass! DON'T GO!" He yelled after her, racing down the stairs.

He almost tripped, "Don't go Cassandra, Pucey is a monster! He bloody hit you."

She paused for a moment, keeping her back to him. "That doesn't matter now."

"How could that not matter?" George was growing desperate as he pleaded again, "Please don't go, please stay, please stay because at least you have security here. We can tal—"

"That's not enough."

"That's not enough? Bloody hell Cassandra, your safety isn't enough to make you stay? Fine, then don't leave because we need you here!"

She said nothing, stepping off the last step. He started again, pleading like a sinner on judgement day, "Don't leave because I need you here. Because I'm asking you to stay... for me."

She still didn't reply, just steps away from the door, moments from slipping from George's grasp. The walls around George were beginning to crumble, each and every fiber of his being held together in thin cellophane that Cassandra could easily rip down the middle with a simple flick of her tongue, words sharpened. 

"Cassandra, don't leave because I love you!" He yelled, voice breaking.

They were both stunned at his confession, Cassandra stopping dead in her tracks. George's heart was racing, desperately waiting for her to say it back, to fly into his arms and never leave. 

But that was only a fantasy.

"I'm in love with you. Isn't that enough?" His voice barely above a quivering whisper, hot tears ready to spill over. 

Cassandra finally turned to look at him, before pushing the door open. "No, it's not. Maybe if I felt the same."

With that, Cassandra walked into the night. 

A/N: I can already smell the comments on this one lmao, I'm sure you all have questions, hunches, ideas, and of course emotions. All things will be answered with time but you do have a mystery little visual from a few chapters back...could have hold some answers??? Clues to what happens next??? 

I ask you all to trust me through this process and know that I will guide this story into the right direction and I fully believe that in the end you all will be satisfied with the conclusion. 

M

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 37.9K 90
"Her terrible timing resulted in the perfect image: Fred standing there wet. His hair was soaking, and the small drops of water rolled down his cheek...
277K 10.5K 75
WARNING - 18+ Mature readers only. TW! Explicit language, sexual content, violence, death etc. (I will not be putting TW at the start of any chapter...
92.2K 2.3K 33
Two years after the war Rae Bailey is running her mom's shop and quite successfully at that. Rae lives a quiet life except for the occasional fun wee...
82.7K 2.1K 52
Fred Weasley & Draco Malfoy love triangle fan fic Includes: Adult / sexual material / rated mature so please read if you are of appropriate age Celes...