THE GREAT PRETENDER ¬ ACOTAR

Por ungodIy-

❝ we're all great pretenders, aren't we? ❞ (pre-acotar to acowar) (eventual azriel x fem!oc) (ungodly- [2021]) Más

THE GREAT PRETENDER
act i. ― FINDING HOME
chapter i.
chapter ii.
chapter iii.
chapter iv.
chapter v.
chapter vi.
chapter vii.
chapter viii.
chapter ix.
chapter x.
act ii ― FAR FROM HOME
chapter xi.
chapter xii.
chapter xiii.
chapter xiv.
chapter xv.
chapter xvi.
chapter xvii.
chapter xviii.
chapter xix.
chapter xx.
act iii - FINALLY HOME
chapter xxi.
chapter xxii.
chapter xxiii.
chapter xxiv.
chapter xxv.
chapter xxvi.
chapter xxvii.
chapter xxix.
chapter xxx.
chapter xxxi.
chapter xxxii.
chapter xxxiii.
chapter xxxiv.

chapter xxviii.

2.8K 161 36
Por ungodIy-

*    · .      ✺        ✧ .   ✵  *   *    · .        ✵  *       ✫  *   .   ·          ⊹    ✺    .     ✧     ✦    ✫   .   ✫  * .               ·    ⊹    ✺ .        ✧ .   ✦    ✫   .  .

CHAPTER XXVII

THIS IS BETTER

WHEN HE CAME TO HER, he still reeked of the Attor's scent. Cal backed away from him instantly, discomfort clear on her face, "Take another bath, use my horrible soap if you have to, just—"

Memories from being Under the Mountain came rushing back all of a sudden. All the hardships, the pain, the heartbreak, the longing, the screams, the blood. It all came back.

She takes a deep breath, ignoring the horrid scent, "Come back to me when you're done."

But he didn't come back to her that night.

──────────────────────────────

AZRIEL WATCHED HIS SPY FROM AFAR. Amarantha should be grateful she didn't die by his hands, he thought as he caught sight of her scars again. He would have made her suffer, made her feel pain every second of the day if possible.

He should've killed the Attor when he had the chance to. The way Cal looked at him when he came back made Azriel regret that he didn't dig his knife straight into its heart. Callaghan had fear in her eyes as she looked at him. And it scared him too. For a second, he thought she was afraid of him, but then he remembered the Attor and her life Under the Mountain.

Callaghan basked under the heat brought by the sun, but a wing blocked the light from hitting her face. He also finally smelled like himself. Gone was the horrible scent of the monster and now replaced by the usual cedar and misty night air. "I was enjoying the sun, spymaster."

She opened an eye to see him sigh and sit beside her on the ground. Cal noticed how his shoulders released the tension when he sat by her. It seemed like he, too, felt comfortable around her presence. "How was it?"

"Her sister's were civil enough to let us in their house for the night," he said, "Although, I think Cassian has a death wish for trying to piss the eldest off."

"I heard of that," she laughed, "It's always the strong ones he's attracted to."

She tilts her head at him when he huffs out a breath, "And the other sister? What do you think of her?"

"Elain is... much warmer than Nesta," Azriel said, looking over at the flowers growing in the garden, "But she's betrothed to a man whose family hates faeries. He gave her a ring made of iron as an engagement gift."

"You sound disappointed at her betrothal," Cal picked on the grass between them.

Azriel's brows furrowed as he turned to her, "I'm not."

"No need to get defensive, Az. Let’s cut to the chase," her eyes haven't left the green grass, "What was the Attor doing beyond the wall?"

"Who told you?"

"Killian contacted me right away."

Killian was one of Callaghan's own spies. One of the few who remained ever loyal to her even after the Mountain. He works as a tailor for the High Fae when not on a mission. Her line of spies mainly specialized in hiding in plain sight, pretty much like her. She recruits people who could lie, act, and improvise when in a sticky situation.

"He saw you dump the Attor near Hybern," Cal said, clutching grass in her palms, "What did you do to it?"

"And how did Killian know?" Azriel asked, diverting the question.

Still, Callaghan didn’t look at him, eyes glued on her hands, "The whispers. Word travels fast. He heard you were dealing with something, followed you, saw the Attor, and reported to me."

Her spymaster said nothing as his shadows circled her hands. Gentle swirls moving along her skin. Slowly, Cal's fist relaxed and opened, fingers playing with the dark tendrils, "You're distracting me, Az."

"Is it working?" he asked, his mouth moving to form a small smile.

"I think so," Callaghan lifted her gaze to his eyes, "But then again, I find your mere presence distracting already."

He didn't flinch when she used a finger to trace the outline of his lips, his smile, stopping by his dimple. He almost leaned onto her touch but then he noticed a butterfly behind her.

"Transform back, boy," he said sternly, gazing at the flying insect. 

The female chuckled, "Finally, you noticed him too."

They both heard Vik groan in irritation when he morphed back to his fae form. "You're both so annoying," he grumbled.

"That's what you get for trying to get past two spies, Vik," Cal faces her brother.

He rolled his eyes, "You could have just ignored me."

"Aren't you supposed to be with Rhys?"

"He's busy with Lady Feyre," he said, "I wouldn't want to intervene."

Then a flash of a dagger came flying towards him. Fortunately, he had raised his arms quickly and blocked the blade using his silver arm-guards before it could touch flesh. When he looked at Cal, she was already twirling another blade in her hand. "Are you serious, Cal?"

"You're bored, aren't you?" She stands from the ground and hurls another blade at him. His focus went on the knife so he didn't see her leg swipe at his shins, knocking him down. He opened his eyes to see Callaghan offering him a hand to help him stand, he took it and pulled her to the ground harshly. The female groaned at the impact of falling face first on the grass.

As he stood, he felt a cool blade rest against his throat. Vik moved fast, pushing the dagger away from his neck then elbowed Azriel in the face. "Alright," he steps away from his sister and the shadowsinger, breathing deeply as he prepares for their attacks, "This is better than snooping around."

The two spies shared a look before lunging at the young boy.

From inside the house, the Cursebreaker and the High Lord watched the three spar. Feyre saw the exchanges from Cal and Az. She had noticed that Cal was one of the very few to elicit a genuine smile from Azriel. It was obvious she was truly someone he holds dear. Feyre was certain that if you want to know something about Azriel, Cal was the best person to go to. It was like she knew him so well, probably even better than Rhys or Cassian.

"No one really knows what's going on between those two," Rhys tells her, seeing her look at Cal and Azriel. "But there's something there for sure."

"Can't you just look into their heads?"

"I don't do that for no reason, Feyre darling," he said, "Only when I can benefit from it."

──────────────────────────────

THEY ALL WENT OUT THAT NIGHT, going to a familiar restaurant where the owner had given them all a kiss on the cheek. Well, except for Amren.

While they ate, Cal leaned to Amren's ear, "Pretty ring you got there, such a shame if someone would take it right off you."

The silver eyed female's eyes immediately went to her hand, where she didn't see any ring, but she was certain she had worn one earlier. "Give it back, Callaghan."

But Cal just tilted her head to Vik, who paused his eating, "What's wrong, little brother?"

"I hate you, Cal," he rolled his eyes and reluctantly handed back the chunky gold ring to Amren. "She didn't even realize it until you said something."

"I think I felt it slip off," Amren said, sipping on her glass of blood. "I just didn't know who took it."

"Next time," his sister winked at him, "Try practicing from someone who's aware of their surroundings, not Cassian."

"I heard my name!" The said Illyrian shouted from across the table, earning the attention of everyone. "Talking about me, Cal?"

"Oh yes," she said, resting her face on her hand, "I was just telling Amren how you tried — and failed — to get a certain someone to your bed."

The smile on his face dropped, he knew exactly who she was talking about, "You horrible woman. I hope you trip on your way home."

Cassian's reaction alone got everyone laughing, especially Callaghan. She was talking about one of her spies, Zari. The General tried to woo the woman but ended up getting rejected in front of the whole club. Zari preferred female lovers, she never even remembered when her last time with a man was. Unfortunately for Cassian, Cal had seen the event take place since she and Zari were supposed to meet there that night for a report. Cal held the situation as blackmail for when she needed to use it against the General.

Eventually, they had finished their meals. Mor suggested Rita's and Cassian quickly agreed. Azriel was a bit hesitant but said yes as well. Amren was nowhere to be found, probably looking for more blood to gouge herself in. While Viktor had excused himself to spend the night with Nalu.

Azriel paused, looking back at Callaghan before he walked with Cas and Mor. "Go," Cal told him, "Go dance." She felt him send a shadow towards her face, making her swat it away, irritated.

"Alright," she turned to Rhys and Feyre, "I'll leave you two alone now. Don't try to kill each other please."

"It's Rhysand," Feyre jokes, "How could you not try to kill him?"

That comment of hers made a smile appear on Cal's face as Rhys rolled his eyes, "I really like you, Cursebreaker."

With that, she vanishes and finds herself along the bright and noisy streets of the Rainbow. She had always loved the arts. Whether it be paintings, carvings, books, music, or theatre plays. It had a special place in her heart.

"A lady like you shouldn't be alone at this time of night."

She halted her steps, turning around to face the person who spoke, "Always a pleasure, Eliana."

The dark-eyed pirate grinned at her, pulling the spy into her arms, "It's been a long time, Callaghan."

"It has," she returned the hug, happy seeing an old friend, "You look well."

"Business is booming," Eliana said when they parted, stuffing a hand in her coat pocket. A hooked hand gleaming under the light, "Courts are slowly opening their lands to ships nowadays."

The pirate opened her mouth to compliment her new hair but stopped when she looked behind Callaghan, "I figured you'd be close by."

Cal sighed. There he goes again, being overprotective of her. Azriel remained quiet as he stared the pirate down.

"I know when I'm not needed," Eliana takes her hand, placing a soft kiss on her knuckles. "’Til we meet again, Cal."

"Bring me a gift next time."

Eliana grinned, walking away from the two, "I will give you the moon, darling Callaghan."

"I thought you were out dancing?" She faced Azriel who still had an eye on the leaving pirate.

"I got bored."

"It's been less than ten minutes, Az." She tilted his face to make him look at her, "Is there something bothering you?"

"Nothing," he answered as he stared upon her shining eyes, "Nothing at all."

"Then stop being such a creep," she slaps him on his chest. "You always appear out of nowhere."

Azriel turns to the side, hiding his smile. Then Cal took his hand in hers, "Let's hope you won’t get bored as we look around."

──────────────────────────────

[ notes! ]

ah well,,,

i wasn't planning on updating today but,,, as a leo, i crave the attention

so heRE'S ANOTHER CHAPTER!

*    · .      ✺        ✧ .   ✵  *   *    · .        ✵  *       ✫  *   .   ·          ⊹    ✺    .     ✧     ✦    ✫   .   ✫  * .               ·    ⊹    ✺ .        ✧ .   ✦    ✫   .  .

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

13.5K 479 30
Gwyn struggles to master her covert feelings for Cassian, but no secrets are hidden from the spymaster's careful observations. Azriel struggles to ov...
108K 3.1K 31
This takes place after ACOWAR (Characters belong to Sarah J Maas) Azriel x OC ----‐--------------------------------------------------- Prythian is in...
28.9K 317 38
A collection of ACOTAR one-shots! There will be many different ships and even normal relationships such as friendships (Ex. Nesta and Azriel!), If y...
62.4K 4K 63
♡ - ❛ you're the 𝒎𝒐𝒐𝒏, she's the 𝒔𝒖𝒏, and i'm just another 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓. ❜ eris 𝒙 fem!oc 𝒙 azriel love triangle, enemies to lovers © old-moon