Starboy

By Bethxanyy

When college student Brandy Bright's charming, but toxic best friend, Benji, asks her to move in with him, sh... More

Chapter 1: The Letter
Chapter 2: Good News
Chapter 3: Locker Whiskey
Chapter 4: Gone
Chapter 5: Sneaking Out
Chapter 6: I'm A Girl
Chapter 7: Do You Trust Me?
Chapter 8: Last Day At Home
Chapter 9: Apartment 11B
Chapter 10: Starboy
Chapter 11: Pizza, Anyone?
Chapter 12: Honey
Chapter 13: 2 A.M
Chapter 14: This Isn't High School
Chapter 15: Longest First Day Ever
Chapter 16: Finally
Chapter 17: I'm Next
Chapter 18: Ironic
Chapter 19: Tennis Court
Chapter 20: One, Two, Three
Chapter 21: Darkest Secret
Chapter 22: Natalie
Chapter 23: Lilies
Chapter 24: Exclusive
Chapter 25: True
Chapter 26: Sk8er Boi
Chapter 27: Fairytales Never Last
Chapter 28: Our Last Summer
Chapter 29: Cheater
Chapter 30: Keeping Secrets
Chapter 31: Deja Vu
Chapter 32: Heart On My Sleeve
Chapter 34: On The Outside, Looking In
Chapter 35: Für Elise
Chapter 36: Blue Dress
Chapter 37: Birthday Boy
Chapter 38: Pink Champagne
Chapter 39: You Came Back
Chapter 40: Daddy Date
Chapter 41: Rainbow Lens
Chapter 42: Party Planning
Chapter 43: Winter Things
Chapter 44: Tiffany's! Cartier! Black Starr!
Chapter 45: Wait, What?
Chapter 46: In The Morning
Chapter 47: Drinking Games
Chapter 48: His Eyes Only
Chapter 49: Twenty Minutes
Chapter 50: Devil and Angel
Chapter 51: Girl Talk, Boy Talk
Chapter 52: Words Hurt
Chapter 53: All Too Familiar
Chapter 54: Everything Sucks
Chapter 55: Bad Distractions
Chapter 56: To Kill a... Potential Moment
Chapter 57: Valentine's Day
Chapter 58: Brunch News
Chapter 59: And Then There Was The Truth
Chapter 60: Cheers?
Chapter 61: No Strings Attached
Chapter 62: Benji, Alcoholic
Chapter 63: Fight Club
Chapter 64: Weak
Chapter 65: Ultimatum
Chapter 66: Time Flies
Chapter 67: Good For Nothing
Chapter 68: Discover
Chapter 69: The Downfall
Chapter 70: Panic Attack
Chapter 71: Never Have I Ever
Chapter 72: Goodbye, First Year
Chapter 73: I Do
Chapter 74: Bright Light
Chapter 75: Stargirl
Bonus | Star Characters
Thank You!

Chapter 33: Protective

612 29 20
By Bethxanyy

Brandy

"You took off last night," Benji says.

I nod, not looking him in the eye. "Yeah, I did. I couldn't... I couldn't be there any longer."

"So you saw?" He asks, and I assume he's referring to his kiss with Natalie.

"I saw," I tell him. "Though I wish I hadn't."

He sighs, sitting down on the end of my bed. "I am so sorry, B. I had no idea she was going to kiss me. I was so... so fucking drunk. I pushed her off as soon as I could."

I stare at him, not knowing what how to respond. "I believe you," I mumble. "I just hate that it happened. I hate her."

"I do, too," he admits. "She had no right to do that."

I shrug. "She kind of did, though. She thinks you two are dating. In her mind, she just kissed her boyfriend. It's not a crime."

"I-I want to break up with her, B. It's just a little more complicated than you think."

I laugh a bit. "I don't know if I can do this anymore, Benji. I'm so tired of being your stupid little secret. And more importantly, I hate that you have another girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend," he promises. "Not really. You are."

"Am I?" I ask. "Cause I don't know really know that anymore."

"It's like..." I pause to deep breathe. "It's like moving in together has ruined everything."

"That's not true," he disagrees "It's the complete opposite. Moving in together was the best decision of my life. I finally feel like my life is going in the right direction—because of you."

"Well, I'm glad moving in together has been good for you, but it hasn't been good for me. I'm stressed all the time and I've lost all of my friends. Life is really shitty for me right now, you know?" I rant.

"I know things have been hard, B—I know. But I'm trying, okay? Everyday, I wake up and think about how I can make you happy. And you haven't lost all your friends. What are you talking about? You still have Hellen."

I laugh. "Hellen hates me."

"She doesn't," he says. "I think she cares about you more than you think."

"Oh, yeah? What makes you say that?"

"She... uh." He stops. "She picked me up yesterday from the party," he informs me, and my jaw drops a bit. "And you know why she said she did it—even though she hates my guts? Because she cares about you... and she knows I'm important to you."

I take a deep breath, feeling both relieved and surprised. I can't believe Hellen would put aside her mysterious vendetta for Benji and help him out.

"I can't believe it," I say. "Did she really?"

He nods, a smile across his face. "Yeah," he says. "You've got yourself a good friend."

I can't help but smile. I've been feeling awful knowing I've lost her, but this is a glimmer of hope. "We'll talk about this more later," I say. "What else did you come here to say to me?"

He sighs. "I just need to apologize, B," he says. "I know I've been putting you through hell here. I know Natalie has been driving you mad and I'm so sorry. I also acknowledge that just because we had one good date it doesn't mean we have a good relationship. Someone really great taught me that a relationship requires constant reassurance and attention. I'm going to try to be better from now on, okay?"

I purse my lips, even more in love with him for this. "Benji," I mutter, moving closer to him. I lay my legs over his lap and kiss him. "I know," I whisper. "It's okay. We'll figure this out, okay? I just need you to want this as much as I want this."

"I do," he whispers. "I want this, I want you."

"Okay," I say lowly. "What about Natalie?"

He sighs. "I'll end it. Tonight." He promises. "I'll never go near her again."

I smile. "What about your parents? Aren't they going to kill you?" I laugh.

"I... I guess they'll just have to deal with it." He smiles back.

"I love you," I whisper, pulling him into a hug.

"I love you," he says back before we let go of the hug. "Did you really punch her?" He laughs.

I cover my face with my hands. "If you love me you will never, ever bring that up again." I feel so embarrassed.

He laughs. "I like when you're jealous. It's kind of hot." He teases and I playfully push him.

Benji and I stay in my room for an hour, talking and even making out a bit. I forget Dad is right in the next room and almost get carried away—luckily, Benji stopped me. As much as I want to do it with him, our first time should we special; not in my bedroom while my dad is watching TV next door.

I do believe Benji. I believe that he is going to end things with Natalie, even if it's hard to do so. I also understand that by breaking up with her, he's risking some tension with his parents. But I can't be with someone who has two girlfriends. It may be a turn on for some people, but definitely not me.

We continue to kiss, and even look up and smile at each other now and then. "Let's just go back to our place," Benji suggests with a smirk on his face.

I realize what that must mean. I'm sure he wants more privacy so we can do more, but a part of me is scared to. I kind of like having to stay quiet and limit ourselves to kissing because it's safe. It's easy knowing that we have limits. Sure, I want to test those limits sometimes but in reality, it scares me half to death.

"I, uh, I should probably go check on Hellen, actually." He playfully sighs and overreacts and I laugh. "I'm sorry. Can we continue this tonight?" I ask.

He kisses me. "Of course," he says.

On our way out, Dad looks up at us with no expression on his face. "You two off now?" He asks.

We both nod. "Thanks for letting me stay here, Dad."

Dad stands up and hugs me. "Honey, you're welcome here anytime. This is your home," he says sneakily, giving Benji a look. "It will always be your home—no matter where you go."

"It was nice to see you, Mr. Bright," Benji says politely.

Dad ignores Benji's comment and kisses my forehead. "Call me if you need anything, Brand."
I nod and wave him goodbye, feeling a bit annoyed that Dad is still holding a weird grudge against Benji.

"Your Dad hates me," Benji says as we walk the streets.

"Hate is a strong word." I try to protect his feelings. "Dad doesn't hate anyone, he's a good man. He just... he's just protective over me."

He laughs. "Well then, he is very protective over you. Don't get me wrong, dads never like me, but this is a rare case."

"Don't worry, he'll come around," I promise. "Why don't you two hang out, get to know each other? Do you want me to organize something?"

He chuckles, wrapping his arm around me. "I think I'll pass."

"Please," I beg. "This is my dad we're talking about. Aren't you serious about me, Benji?"

"I'm dating you, not your dad, B." He reminds me.

"Well, I sure hope you're not dating my dad," I joke. "I'm serious." I stop walking. "I want him to like you. If you two don't get along, it's just madness waiting to happen."

He sighs. "Is this something you really want?" He asks seriously. "You want me to get to know... Jack? Is it Jack?"

"Yes. Jack," I say. "Promise me you'll agree to it. If I tell him you want to have, I don't know, lunch with him, it will be easier to convince him to go."

"Fuck," he mutters. "Only for you, B."

We kiss goodbye as I head for the subway. I tie my hair up as I tread down the stairs to my train and feel the vibration of my cellphone. I look at the caller ID and it says unknown.

I hesitantly flip open my phone and say, "Hello?"

"Is this Miss Brandy Bright?" An unfamiliar voice of a woman says.

"Yes? This is she."

"Hi, Miss Bright. I'm calling from Steven Cruz's office because we have received news that you are interning here are Cruz Enterprises?" She says.

"Oh..." I trail off, barely able to hear myself through the loud sounds of the trains. "I should have called. I'm sorry." I apologize.

"No worries, Miss Bright. Now, will you be able to come into this office next Tuesday? I'm sure Mr. Cruz would like to meet you before you have the job."

"Oh, uh... he already-" I cut myself off as I realize what I'm setting myself up for. His receptionist just revealed that not even Steven knows I'll be working at his office, which means he won't tell Benji yet. Just go with the flow, Brandy.

"Sure," I say instead. "I'd love to meet him. He, uh, he doesn't know I'm coming in, does he?" I confirm.

"No, I don't believe so," she answers. "He's a very busy man. He doesn't have time to worry about interns." She snaps. "But you're lucky you have such a good teacher who would help you will find this job. You'll be an asset here."

I sigh. "Okay. Thank you. I will see you next Tuesday." I hang up. I breathe deeply before I sprint a few meters to catch my train.

I'm going to tell Benji about my internship soon. I don't even know why I'm making a big deal out of this. It's just a silly internship at his Dad's office. Even though he hates his Dad I'm sure he won't mind as much as I think he will. As usual, I'm overthinking everything.

I just have to remember what Becca told me in order to succeed. This internship is what every person in my class, including myself, would kill for. This is the dream internship. Then again, I'm sure Steven would have given it to me if I had simply asked. But I actually earned this. Becca thought I was good enough and gave me this opportunity.

And even if Benji doesn't like it, I can't give this up for anyone—not even him.

Hello! Thank you so much for checking out this chapter. Your support means so much to me! Please vote on this chapter if you're liking the story so far <3 Also thank you for over 3,000 reads!

New chapter coming out tomorrow!

P.S I recently unpublished the two 'character lists' so that new readers can imagine for themselves what each character looks like. However! If you'd like to see the list, feel free to message me and I'll send it to you via Snapchat or Discord. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

509K 13.5K 41
Highest rankings: Frenemies: #1 (2nd May 2020) Charming: #2 (19th July 2020) Follow my Instagram for any updates and if you have any questions: @nikk...
823K 24.5K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...
357K 10.3K 41
Follow my Instagram for any updates and if you have any questions: @nikki_k123 Ellie has lived in Santa Barbara her entire life with her parents and...
31.9K 2.1K 29
♡ Featured on Stories Undiscovered ♡ ♡ Featured on Teen Fiction ♡ "All it took was one smile, that damned smile, and I found myself falling in love w...