Connections

By awsmpants

[COMPLETED] "Its you and me. Us...forever. No matter the year, time, past...future." ... More

Prologue
Part 1: The First Avenger
1: Mission
2: Steve
3: Hit Me
4: Jump
5: Whips and Fiddle
6: You
7: Us, Forever
9: See You Again
10: The Return
11: Adjustments
Part II: Hydra
12: Taken
13: The Rules
14: Hotel Inessa
15: Off the Grid
16: Grim Reaper
17: Remembrance
18: A Plan
19: The Winter Soldier Program
20: Escape
Part III: Recovery
21: Forgotten
22: Comfort
23: Recall
24: Boxed
Part IV: The Winter Soldier
25: Museum
26: Fury
27: Run and Hide
28: Run
29: Falcon
30: Sitwell
31: Bucky
32: Memories
33: The Kind You Save
34: Find You Again
35: A New Path
Part V: Age Of Ultron
36: Celebration
37: Ultron
38: Reunited
39: Lost In Darkness
40: Pawns
Part VI: Civil War
41: The Search
42: The Sokovia Accords
43: Peggy Carter
44: Romania
45: Berlin
46: Not the Only One
47: Safe House
48: Little Calm
49: Helmut Zemo
49: The Truth
50: Wakanda
51: Tony Stark
52: Doctor Strange
53: Layla and the Time Stone
54: The Surprise
Epilogue
Authors Note

8: Last Mission

350 15 0
By awsmpants

The last two days spent with Bucky passed quickly. Way faster then I wanted them to. I spent the time not worrying about finding my way back to my time. I just wanted to enjoy these last few moments together. Just us.

We arrived back at the base. I took my place with Peggy for most of the missions. Helping Steve, Bucky, and the rest of the Howling Commandos plan out their attacks on Hydra's bases. Every now and then I'd join when needed, however most of the time it was suggested I stayed back. When I did I'd just wait for Bucky's return. Hoping he made it back safely.

One by one the bases were taken down, causing Hydra to fall behind. Steve's new shield was proven useful. I couldn't help but smile whenever I watched footage of him using it. That was the shield that was going to go down in history with him. He had no idea how big of a deal it was.

Finally, I was take out on a mission. I stood next to Bucky as Falsworth kneeled in front of a group. We stood on top of a mountain. The snow had fallen around us, covering the terrain in a blanket of white. I thankfully was kept warm with the new outfit provided for me by Howard Stark. I kept the hood up on my head from my cape to block the wind blowing around us. I put together my gun as the rest got ready. Falsworth stared into his binoculars, looking for our target.

I stood up and looked down the mountain. A railroad track laid empty as the wind blew around us. Steve and Bucky followed a zipline that crossed the mountain and to the ground bellow. Both of them had worried faces.

"Remember when I made you ride the Cyclone at Coney Island?" Bucky asked Steve. I clutched tightly to my gun, remembering the story Bucky had told me.

"Yeah, and I threw up?" Steve remembered.

Bucky looked up at the zipline, "This isn't payback, is it?"

I chuckled a bit. I could tell this type of thing they weren't used to. I looked over at Bucky as he looked at me concerningly. I smiled and grabbed his arm, squeezing it before letting go again.

Layla...

The voice rang in my head. I quickly turned around as I looked at the group behind me. It was quiet and distorted. Yet, almost familiar. I looked at the boys as they continued working on things. Not even paying attention to me. It wasn't them that said my name...then who was it? I felt a hand land on my back. I quickly turned to Bucky as he looked at me concerned.

"What wrong?" He ask quietly. I looked over the mountain. Trying to see if I could find where the voice was coming from. I couldn't see anyone though. It must have just been my imagination. I shook my head and stood up straight.

"Nothing...I'm just hearing things in the wind." I answered.

"We were right. Dr. Zola is on the train." Jones said as he sat with the radio, "Hydra dispatcher gave him permission to open up the throttle." Bucky, Steve and I turned around fully to listen to him, "Wherever he's going, they must need him bad."

Steve nodded to us and quickly put on his helmet. Bucky and him both grabbed onto the metal hangers, getting ready to zipline down.

"Lets get going because they're moving like the devil." Folsworth said quickly. I looked over as a train began to move quickly down the tracks. I nodded as everyone began to get into place. One after the other, I watched Steve and Jones zip down and land on the train. Bucky was last one to go. He quickly set his hanger on the zipline and looked back at me.

"Just like Coney Island." He whispered to me. I let out a small smile and nodded.

"I'll meet you down there, Soldier." I said. I watched as he quickly zipped down.  He landed on the train. I took a deep breath as the train moved closer.

"Ready to phase, Black?" Dugan asked. I felt my breathing pick up a bit. I nodded as the train came closer. Just a simple phase. Nothing I haven't done before. However, the longer I was stuck here I noticed the weaker my powers became. I took one last deep breath and closed my eyes. Envisioning the part of the train I wanted to land on. I felt my body shift. I landed on the train.

My legs buckled under me as I tried to steady myself on the speeding movement. I felt my body go backwards but before I could fall a hand grabbed mine. Bucky quickly pulled me back down onto the surface as I held on tightly to the roof.

"What would you do without me!" He yelled as the wind echoed in my ears. I laughed as I looked up at him.

"Wouldn't be trapped here." I joked back. Bucky nodded and smirked as we looked back ahead. We quickly began to moved down the train cars before finding a door. Steve, Bucky and I jumped into the car before closing the door behind us. It was a small long room mostly filled with black tube containers on shelving.

I held my gun close as we began to walked through the car, moving on to the next. It was quiet. And Zola was no where to be seen.

Layla wake up...

I paused again as the voice came back. I looked around the room, but once again I saw nothing. This time the voice was distinct. It was Clint? But how was I hearing him now. Bucky stopped behind me as Steve walked into the other cart.

"Layla what is it?" Bucky asked again. I looked around the room again making sure I wasn't missing anything.

"I don't know...I heard-"

Before I could finish the door behind me closed. I watched as Steve turned around banging on the other side. Bucky and I quickly whipped out our guns as a figure showed up behind us. We shot at it before jumping back behind some crates. Bucky and I looked at each other from behind the crates. He shook his head before taking a deep breath.

"On go?" He said quietly. I nodded.

"3" I started.

"2." He continued.

"1."

"GO!" He yelled. Both of us shot up from behind the crates and began firing. Right as we did another Hydra soldier appeared behind the door. I quickly shot at him as Bucky shot at the other one. Only took two bullets before he was down. In unison we both fell back behind the crates. Bucky began to catch his breath as he looked over at me. A proud smile landing on his face.

"Not bad, Ace." He said as I smirked.

"Yeah well...shot my first gun as a kid. Taught by someone who was a pro at it." I said quickly as I began to reload my gun.

"Oh yeah what was their name?" Bucky asked.

I thought back trying to remember. It was back when I was captured by Hydra. My time there wasn't long however, I did learn a bit by one person. I never got his name. He always had his face covered fully. I shook the thoughts out of my head and looked back at Bucky.

"I don't know..." I said quietly realizing I had no idea who he was. He was in and out of the base so much, "He had a metal arm though."

"Future is crazy." Bucky said looking astonished. Before I could say more bullets kept flying towards us. I quickly stood back up and shot a few more bullets. Each one missing. I ducked back down as Bucky snickered.

"Doesn't seem he was that great." He yelled. I shook my head at him.

"I'll be sure to say that if I ever see him again."

Bucky quickly stood up and began shooting as I reloaded my gun again. He missed every shot as well. Right before he shot his last bullet I quickly got up. I had the perfect hit against the man. I took the shot and the man fell back on the ground. Bucky looked at me a little annoyed.

"I had him on the ropes." He said to me. I smiled and nodded.

"Sure you did." I said as I patted his back. The door behind us shot open. We both turned around as Steve walked in. He looked down at the casualties then back at us.

"Nice job." He said quickly before walking in. Suddenly, a loud sharp tone could be heard behind us. We quickly turned around noticing a man in a silver suit coming up behind us. His hands glowed blue and were replaces with blasters. Steve quickly brought his shield up. Covering Bucky and I.

"Get down!" He yelled. Bucky quickly grabbed me. A huge explosion rocked the train as we fell to the ground. A large hole now replaced the train walls. I groaned in pain as I rolled over. Steve fell to the floor across from us as his shield landed beside Bucky. Bucky quickly stood up and grabbed the Shield. He held it in front of him as he shot is gun at the enemy.

Layla I swear to god...

The same voice echoed again. I felt a pain in my head as I watched the next events unfold. I sat up as Bucky continued to shoot. The man's blasters began to charge up again. Before I could even think the blaster shot the blue light towards Bucky. The shield dropped to the floor. The sound vibrated the room around me. I watched as Bucky's body fell backwards to the hole in the car. Falling out of the car.

Steve and I both quickly shot up. Steve grabbed the shield and shot it towards the suited man. We both ran towards the wreckage. I looked around and saw Bucky holding tightly to a piece of railing on the side of the train.

"Bucky!" I yelled as I began to inch my way on the railing outside the train. We both began to inch closer to each other, reaching my hand out for him. I looked down quickly noticing we were on a railroad bridge high up in the mountains. Nothing could be seen down below.

I felt Steve grab my hand as he hung tightly to the edge of the broken door with his other. I was able to reach down more. Suddenly, the railing he was holding onto broke. I jumped quickly as Steve's gripped tighten. I reached down gripping onto Bucky's hand before he could fall. Both our bodies dangling in the wind. My breathing became heavy as the wind whipped around us.

I felt Steve's arm begin to shake, our bodies slowly lowing more and more as his hand began to slip. He fell forward as well, both Bucky and I beginning to drop. I felt Steve catch himself on the other railing outside.

The impact of the drop, mixed with the snow falling on my hand caused my grip to slip. My heart dropped into my stomach as I felt Bucky's hand slip out of mine. Bucky's shrill scream began to echo against the mountains above us. I stared down as Bucky's body fell through the emptiness of the ground below him. I felt my breathing stop, as I watched him slowly disappear.

"No!" I yelled again as I felt my body move backwards. Steve had quickly jumped back in and held onto me tightly pulling me back into the cart with him. I just kept repeating no, as I tried to pull away from him.

Steve just fell silent as I felt his arms hold me tightly. I fell to my knees as he fell with me. The tears finally escaped my eyes. I didn't know how to move. My entire body felt numb. I could hear Steve began to cry a little as well. I just continued to weep against his chest.

"I've got you." He said quietly as he pressed his cheek against my head.

I swear to god, if she doesn't wake up in the next five minutes...

Another sharp pain hit my head. A scream escaped my lips as I pulled away from Steve. This time the pain unbearable. I grabbed my head tightly. The world around me began to blur. I tried to catch my breath as the voices grew louder and louder.

I think it's working. Look...

I gripped tightly as I felt Steve grab onto me again. I looked up as the pain continued noticing the concerned look on his face. His image blurred as I tried to keep focus. Slowly. I couldn't focus on his face as the world around me began to turn black.

✪✪✪

I shot up quickly as the tears ran down my face. I tried my best to catch my breath as my surrounding began to focus. White walls, uncomfortable bed. I looked over to see the window looking down into the room. Completely empty.

"See I told you it would work." I heard Clint say beside me. I quickly turned around to see the doctor, Fury, and Clint standing over my bed. My breath began to shorten as Clint's smile left his face. He noticed the upsetting look I was giving him.

"Layla what's-" Before he could finish I wrapped my arms around him. He stumbled back a bit, as I felt the emotions wash over me again. This time the tears flowed down like a fountain. I buried my head into his chest as his arms wrap around me tightly.

"Layla what happened?" He asked as I just continued to cry. I couldn't breath. I couldn't speak. Everything was hitting me all at once.

I lost the love of my life. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.9K 156 32
It's been two months since Y/N returned to the Compound, but despite her best efforts, she can't seem to escape her trauma. Nightmares haunt her at n...
1.5M 19.2K 180
‼️The story is in 2 parts, Enjoy!! Self-insert‼️ You are a former Black Widow who has been in hiding for years. You have made amends and have dealt w...
33.3K 351 36
Early 2024. America. Adelaide Lehnsherr, formerly Xavier, is now Adelaide Lehnsherr-Barnes. The world should be right - but when is it ever right wi...
33.6K 542 15
*COMPLETE* Y/N's mom died and so she has to move in with her dad who is Tony stark. How is her life going to change when she's living with the avenge...