Sailing With Destiny

By Bookworm_Tina

"Do you have any idea how damn frustrating you are?" He trapped me between him and the wall. Stubbornly, I l... More

Preface
Paris
Pont des Arts
Monte Carlo
Sumptuous Repast
BlackJack
St Tropez
Provoke
Morning Coffee
Portofino
Kayak
Kiss it Better
Tuscany
Off-route: London
Brotherly Things
The Marino's
Frustration
Corsica
Cherry
Ibiza
A Night in Ibiza
Costa Blanca
Cupcakes
CumpleaƱos
Fiesta
Old Wounds
Homebound
Vacation Over
New York
Bubbles and Beer
Petty
Class Day
Celebrate
Priorities
A Magical Day
I Hate My Birthday
Intern
Millie Bee
Summit
That Escalated
Ego
Liquid Courage
Predicament
Corporate Sexy
Dinner at Dad's 2.0
Anti-Mila
Voice of Reason
Fragile
Talk To Me
A Little Better
Not What You Need
Revelation And Secrets
Forgive Me?
Space
The Night Begins
Can The Night End Already
I don't Know You Anymore
He's Still My Friend
I Got You, Always
Wedding Date
Friends
The Calm
Before
The Storm
I Promise
I Hate Halloween
Best Friend or Girlfriend?
Decisions, Decisions
I Can't Live Without You
I Will Survive
Nostalgic
Holiday Surprises
I Trusted You
I Trusted You Too
A Mental Maze
Always
Mark My Words
Call It Destiny

Friend or Foe

1K 52 209
By Bookworm_Tina

The dim, purple lighting of the room did nothing to cover the dismay that was written on Mitchell's face. With a deeper frown, my eyes took in the person who approached us with a wide smile and arms stretched out.

"Mitchell fucking Clarke!"

Mitchell forced a smile and leaned in for a man-hug, "Tremaine."

The slightly above average height man with a short buzz cut, dark brown eyes, and a perfectly shaped stubble tapped Mitchell's back and said, "Man, it's been years!"

"The fuck is Tremaine? It's Trey, it can't be that long?" Tremaine asked and just by his slightly slurred words and hyper energy, I could tell he was drunk.

Tremaine was a good-looking guy who appeared to be around Mitchell's age. He was dressed smart-casual in navy dress pants and a short-sleeved button-down shirt with an island print. The bright color of his shirt wasn't what stood out, but the sparkly diamond necklace around his neck, the diamond-faced watch on his wrist, and two thick gold bracelets encrusted with diamonds on the other wrist.

"You went with Mitchell first," Mitchell grinned but I could tell by his curt words, abrupt tone, and stiff posture he wanted to cut this meeting short.

"Forgive me, brother," Trey tapped Mitchell's shoulder again, "It was the shock of seeing you, here of all places."

"Yeah, I bumped into Trey," Mia murmured and I'd almost forgotten that she still stood near us.

"What shit are you on?" Trey asked Mia, "You're a part of my crew."

"But never mind that," Trey's eyes found me and he plastered on a charming smile, took a step forward, and opened his palm to me, "Who might you be?"

Before I could even open my mouth to respond, Mitchell circled a hand around my waist and pulled me to his side, "She's with me."

With me? Is he for real right now? I can think of a dozen better ways to refer to me than the lousy way he just did. Hijo de puta!

"Mila," I smiled and placed my hand in his.

"Mila," Trey repeated and, instead of shaking my hand, he brought it to his lips and placed a kiss over the top of my palm. I was a little taken aback and awkward by his actions.

Mitchell was not pleased, I didn't look his way but his body felt rigid, he tightened his hold on me, and exhaled audibly. I didn't care that he was pissed, he should've found a more creative introduction than making it sound as if I was just one of his side pieces.

"It's a pleasure, sweetheart," Trey smiled and looked up at me from under his lashes, his lips still in line with my hand, "Forgive me if I'm outta line but girl, you're bangin'."

Mitchell cleared his throat loudly with a stern look before he gently grasped my forearm and pulled it out of Trey's grasp, "When I say she's with me, I mean she's my Mila."

"Let's not cross any lines," Mitchell added and even though his tone was calm, it was assertive and left no room for arguments.

Trey put up his hands defensively, "It's all good, G, I didn't mean no disrespect."

"I didn't know she's your lady, last time I saw you, your blonde girl left and you swore off anything serious, so I thought..." Trey said to Mitchell and it was my turn to go still, "Anyway I'm fucking high right now and mumbling shit so you gotta forgive me if I'm wrong."

"Trey, shut the fuck up," Mia rolled her eyes.

"That's the wisest shit you said all night," he sheepishly scratched the back of his head and agreed with Mia before he turned to Mitchell, "We good, bro?"

Mitchell forced a smile, "Yeah, all good," Mitchell placed one hand in his pocket and the other gently caressed over my waist, "We should get going but you guys enjoy the rest of your evening."

For the first time since we met, Trey dropped his smile, "Mitch, why you trippin' on me? If I offended you and your girl, I'm sorry but be a sport and have one drink with me."

"Mila, is it?" Trey looked at me, "I'm sorry if I was inappropriate but Mitch and I go way back, tell your man to share at least one drink with me."

Trey didn't give me bad vibes, he just seemed like a guy who was way too high for his own good and didn't take anything seriously. He might've been a flirt but Mitchell hadn't given him a reason to stay within bounds and he seemed to like Mitchell. I looked at Mitchell and he did not look like he wanted to stay but he pissed me off twice in one night, so I answered for him.

"Of course," I smiled, "I'd love to hear all about how you and Mitch know each other."

"My gut is never wrong," Trey smiled widely and pointed at me, "I knew I liked you."

Mitchell tightened his hold on me and even though I didn't look at him, I could tell he glared and probably yelled at me in his head.

"Can you give us a moment, we're right behind you," Mitchell politely said.

Trey winked at him, "Take your time, lover boy." He gestured with his head to the booth a few feet away, "My booth is right there."

Once Mia and Trey left, Mitchell let go of my waist, took my hand in his, and dragged me to a corner where we were out of hearing distance.

He looked angry, to say the least, as he stared me down, "What are you playing at?"

"Excuse me?" Despite his intimidating stance, I looked up at him squarely.

"Why did you agree to have a drink with him despite how he flirted with you two fucking minutes ago?" After his nostrils slightly flared, Mitchell did his best to keep his cool but I could see him slipping through the cracks.

"He apologized when you very kindly explained who I really am to you," I flatly said.

Mitchell pursed his lips, nodded, and scoffed under his breath, "So, that's your angle. To get back at me for not calling you my girlfriend, you agree to sit with... him!"

Mitchell stepped closer to me and I was enveloped by his scent and body heat but his stormy eyes were nothing but friendly as he angrily stared into my unbothered, wide gaze, "Get one thing straight Mila, I don't need the whole fucking world to know my business and I sure as hell don't need Trey or any other fucker to know what you mean to me."

"The important people know so the less I speak to others, the quicker I can move on and end the conversation."

I raised a brow, "I thought he's your bro?"

Mitchell took in a breath, blinked rapidly, and pinched the bridge of his nose, "Is this a joke to you?"

"No, but the way you're reacting right now is," I crossed my arms over my chest, "Stop treating me like a child or something you own, I don't like it."

Mitchell narrowed his eyes and looked a little offended, "I'm not treating you like I own you." He sighed and his gaze softened, "I'm just being... protective. You don't know Trey the way I do."

"Well, I guess that would be fixed after we have a drink with him," I innocently grinned and turned on my heel to leave but Mitchell gripped my arm, spun me around, and pulled me towards him.

"Mila," he warned under his breath but I chose to ignore his paranoia.

"Mitch?" I innocently blinked.

He clenched his jaw and glared at me long and hard, "You'll be the fucking death of me."

He ran his fingers down my arm until he reached my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine, "One drink, that's it."

I felt a little bad for getting Mitchell so worked up, I assumed he had his reasons for not liking Trey so before we walked off, I held onto his hand and stopped him from walking.

I took in a breath and spoke calmly, "Is he a bad guy?"

Mitchell's brows knitted together, "Trey? No, not really."

"Then why are you so worked up?" I asked.

Mitchell sighed and ran his hand through his hair, "We were in high school together and then for a year at Yale before he dropped out. His dad is big into Wall Street and has made a successful career in the stock exchange. Trey's parents got divorced so he moved to LA with his mom in Sophomore year and was quite popular at school."

"A bit of a slacker with grades and played girls like a sport, he always had more than one girlfriend at a time and somehow the girls he dated didn't mind."

"Anyway, long story short, he dropped out of college after a year of a permanent residence with the mile high club. After that, we lost touch and I heard he moved to New York and got into the same business as his dad."

"So, why don't you want to be around him?" I asked, "Was he out of line with... your ex in the past?"

Mitchell shook his head, "No, he's particular about 'bro codes, he's never crossed that line... at least not with me."

"Then what's the big deal?" I asked because I saw no reason as to why Mitchell was so paranoid.

Mitchell looked conflicted, "He's just... you'll see what I mean. I don't want you around that kind of company. He's a good guy but can be... eccentric."

I let go of Mitchell's hand and wrapped my arm around his, I stood on my tippy toes and pressed a loving kiss over his lips, "I'm with you, stop stressing over nothing."

Mitchell's gaze softened and he stiffly nodded, "I mean it though, one drink only."

I rolled my eyes, "Whatever you say, Mr. Clarke."

I tugged on his arm so we could leave but Mitchell stopped me, "Hey," he brought his hand to my face and caressed my cheek with his knuckles, "You really do look breathtakingly beautiful."

"Such a drama queen," I teased and rolled my eyes once more.

"Don't roll your eyes at me," Mitchell playfully rebuked.

I battered my lashes at him, "Or else?"

Mitchell's eyes darkened a shade as he cupped my cheek and pressed a firm, assertive kiss over my lips. He pulled away a fraction and with the pad of his thumb, he wiped away the little gloss that coated his lips. "You'll see," he smirked at me.

Trey's booth had at least seven other people, of which, other than him and another guy, the rest were women. Trey sat in the middle of two attractive girls, one leaned on him while the other shamelessly and rather openly checked Mitchell out despite my arm in his.

Mia was seated with a taller girl who appeared to be in her early twenties, who was lean, tall, and had hair that sat around her shoulders. Another much shorter girl with killer curves and dark, curly hair sat on the lap of the other guy I didn't recognize.

"Mitch," Trey's eyes found us and he pointed at Mitchell, "Whiskey on the rocks?"

"You know it," Mitchell replied and guided me to a seat.

Mitchell made sure we sat a good distance away from the guys and I was seated closer to the girls than Trey and the other much quieter guy with long hair.

"Brie," Mia and the tall girl I presumed was her girlfriend scooted closer, "This is my pain in the ass childhood friend Mitch and the way out of his league girlfriend, Mila."

Brie greeted us with a smile, "It's nice to meet you guys," his eyes traveled to Mitchell, "I've heard a little about how you traumatized Mia as kids."

"Me?" Mitchell scoffed, "More like the other way around."

While Mia and Mitchell bickered, Trey turned his attention to me and asked, "What would the lovely lady like to drink?"

Mitchell's ears were on alert and before I could answer, he replied and looked at me for confirmation, "A mocktail?"

I raised a brow; did he seriously think I would drink a mocktail? I might've overdone it with the wine but I felt perfectly fine and was most definitely not going to have a mocktail.

"A dry martini for now," I smiled at Trey.

"The lady has spoken," Mitchell relaxed back and rested his arm over my backrest.

Trey gave out his order to a waitress while everyone else introduced themselves. The two women Trey sat in-between were his 'girls' as he put it, the curly-haired, short girl was his sister and the guy whose lap she sat on was her boyfriend.

"After all that wine, you sure you're okay with more alcohol?" Mitchell whispered in my ear.

I ground my teeth together and glowered at him, "I'm not a freaking child, Mitch."

Mitchell was slightly taken aback by my tone, "Easy, I was just asking. Save all that energy for the bedroom."

I leaned into him, placed my hand on his thigh, and brought my lip to his ear. I nibbled on his earlobe before I whispered, "Carry on acting like a cabrón and the only bedroom action you'll get is between shrimp and Mr. Leftie."

Mitchell stared at me with his stormy eyes and opened his mouth to say retort but before he could, Trey interrupted us.

"You remember Kiera, Mitch?" Trey asked Mitchell and gestured to his sister.

Mitchell frowned for a moment, "Yeah, of course, your little sister."

"I was never that much younger than you," Kiera spoke.

"You're Katie's age, you're young," Mitchell replied, "But it's good to see you again."

"I thought love would make you less uptight," Mia mused and brought her drink to her lips, "But clearly, that stick is still shoved high up your ass."

"And I thought love would make you less bitter but here we are," Mitchell retorted.

"If being honest is bitter then I'll take it," Mia responded with a tight-lipped smile.

Mitchell scoffed but grinned, "What are you doing out here anyway?"

Mia sighed, "I was helping my mom out in Paris with the launch of her summer collection, she got on my nerves so I took a little weekend breather."

Mia's mother Amber was not only Carly – Mitchell's mother's best friend but also a renowned fashion designer. I'd met Amber once and even though she was nice, she hadn't known the meaning of a filter and social boundaries.

Mitchell chuckled, "And that's why your mom is my favorite aunt."

Our drinks soon arrived and Mitchell seemed a little at ease as he conversed with his friends, I had a good conversation with Mia, Brie, and even Kiera was friendly. Despite how opposed Mitchell was that we joined Trey, the pair seemed like they got along well and Mitchell even laughed a few times. However, Mitchell never left my side, sat with his arm draped around me, or rested his hand on my leg.

One of Trey's girls was polite but neither left his side, they sat glued to him like one of his shiny accessories and he wasn't shy about public displays of affection with both.

"Are you still stuck in LA?" I heard Trey ask Mitchell.

Mitchell nodded, "I move around between LA and New York."

"Are you still in New York?" Mitchell asked after he took a sip of his whiskey.

Trey shook his head, "Nah, I go wherever my heart desires," he kissed the girl on his right on the lips, "And whoever it desires."

Mitchell shook his head, "I see old habits die hard."

Trey grinned, "Are you seriously acting like a prude?" Trey's eyes found me before he added, "I get that you have a beautiful lady on your arm but come on man, I still remember our year at Yale."

That caught my attention, I turned in my seat to face Trey and about crossed my leg over the other but Mitchell placed his hand firmly over my thigh. I looked at him quizzically in response and he stared down at me seriously in response. He took a sip of his whiskey, glanced down at my legs, and said softly in my ear, "This dress is short enough, let's not give anyone a show by crossing your legs."

Hijo de puta wants to die tonight!

"You're treading on thin ice, Mitchell," I glared at him and attempted to move my leg but he held on firmer and dipped his fingers to my inner thighs.

"Stop fighting me on this," he mumbled under his breath.

"Ugh," I attempted to move his hand away but he was a lot stronger than me. I did not want to cause a scene in front of people so I let it go, sighed, and mumbled under my breath, "Chingate."

I took in a deep breath and took a sip of my second martini for the night, "Go on," I said to Trey, "I would love to hear all about Mitch's pre-law days."

"If he was as boring as he was in high school, I'd pass," Mia remarked.

"It's really not that interesting," Mitchell cleared his throat and gestured to the waiter for another drink.

"I think it is," Kiera commented, "Especially if you hung out with my brother all the time."

"Aight," Trey cleared his throat, "In high school, my man was beyond whipped, he stuck to one pussy and I admired that... sort of."

Trey's words stirred a little jealousy and an unsettling feeling in my stomach. I shifted in my seat and unwound my shoulders before I took a large sip of the martini. Trey didn't seem to notice the awkwardness and I felt Mitchell's eyes on me but I played nonchalantly.

"But in college?" Trey laughed and winked at Mitchell, "I was introduced to a whole other Mitch. I never knew he had that much game, don't get me wrong, this man had ladies fantasizing about him in school too," he paused and looked at his sister, "Weren't you in love with him or some shirt, Kiera?"

Kiera looked utterly awkward and... well mortified, she shifted in her seat and showed Trey the finger, "No you dumb fuck! I just said he was cute."

Mia laughed and said to Kiera, "You so had a crush on him, I was traumatized by how many of my friends crushed on Mitch."

She looked at her boyfriend and he grinned, "The dude's handsome, I don't blame you."

Mitchell's jaw tightened, huffed under his breath and unwound his shoulders, "Alright man, let's leave the past there."

"Don't play coy, man," Trey said, "In college, you finally basked in all the female attention I wished I got."

"I think you had a different girl's mouth around your dick every week?" Trey laughed.

I so did not need to know that.

"TMI." My brows raised and I murmured under my breath as I took another gulp of my drink.

"Hey man," Brie spoke up. "Have some respect, Mila is sitting right here."

I cleared my throat and waved them off, "Mitch and I had the awkward ex talk before, it's all good. We were enemies then friends, then enemies again before we reached this stage."

I glanced at him and he stared at me nonchalantly, "Besides, I know a little something about his... extracurricular activities."

Truth was, I had no idea Mitchell went that much astray after his breakup with Liza, he subtly mentioned it but Trey portrayed Mitchell as if he'd just used girls for one thing and that was something I didn't know. I knew he casually dated girls, like Olivia, but they never lasted. I admitted that hearing about Mitchell's sexual past made me a little uncomfortable and, I hated to admit it, but jealousy also crept in the pit of my stomach.

"I'm sorry, Sweetheart," Trey put up a hand, "I'm fucking high right now but no excuses, I'll shut my mouth."

"I think we'll head to our booth, now." Mitchell dryly said and placed his whiskey glass on the table, "Nice catching up."

"Nah man," Trey insisted, "I'm sorry, don't be like that. I'll keep my mouth shut."

"Go on, tell me how you two met," he added.

"More like how Mitch won the freaking lottery," Mia scoffed, which made me stifle a laugh.

"At Harvard," Mitchell answered, "Mila was a med student."

"Harvard Med?" Trey sounded surprised, "Should I refer to you as Dr...?"

I offered a small smile and nodded, "Dr. Brinson but no need for formalities."

"Damn," Trey looked so shocked I wasn't sure if I should've been offended, "I thought you were some model or something but a doctor? I'm pleasantly surprised."

"Beauty and brains," Mitchell proudly smiled at me and pressed a kiss at the side of my head, "I really did win the lottery."

"Hold on a minute..." A small frown grew on Trey's forehead, "Did you say, Brinson? As in business mogul Damien Brinson? I'm fucking bad at names but that's not a name I hear often. You know him?"

My dad was a well-known name in the business world but this was the first time someone asked me about him. I wasn't sure how I felt but it did make me a little awkward and also proud of how much he accomplished in his life.

"Um, yes," I replied, "he's my dad."

Trey's jaw dropped and he blinked a few times, "Wait, wait, wait," he appeared excited for some reason, "You're telling me you're not only a doctor but heiress to Damien Brinson's business empire."

Now I felt a little awkward. All my life I never associated myself with the Brinson name so I was not used to the kind of reaction Trey gave.

"Well, I'm just a doctor, I don't get involved in my dad's professional life," I replied.

"Holy fucking hell," Trey gasped, reached over, and tapped Mitchell's leg, "Boy you not only scored big time with a pretty lady but she's the full package."

Mitchell's hold tightened on my leg, "She's a remarkable woman but to me, she's just Mila."

"Fucking Brinson," Trey choked out, "I idolize that guy and his work ethic. According to my old man, Brinson stock has never disappointed him and we've been investing for years. That man is a business guru!"

Trey sat back in his seat, shook his head, and took a sip of his drink, "A Brinson and a Clarke, what a fucking power couple!"

Trey pointed to Mitch, "You put a whole new meaning to upgrade man," Trey laughed under his breath, "From slutty, skanky cheerleader to this... queen!"

Okay, now he's overreacting. Maybe not about the skanky Liza part but I'm no queen. I'm just Mila.

Mitchell stilled, gripped onto his glass firmly and when I looked his way, his jaw was rigid and he looked more than just annoyed.

"Listen, Trey, I mean no hard feelings here but there are certain lines we don't cross," Mitchell leaned forward and coolly said, "I was quiet when you painted out my... past endeavors but don't go insulting a woman like that in my presence. She might mean nothing to me anymore but it's disrespectful to call any lady a skank or slut."

"You're right," Trey earnestly said, "I'm sorry man."

I understood where Mitchell came from and I admired his integrity and the way he respected women but it still didn't beat the feeling of jealousy and dismay I got when he stood up for his ex-girlfriend.

"Touched a nerve, Mitchy?" I drawled under my breath as I popped the olive from my drink into my mouth.

Mitchell deeply sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, "Mila, it's not like that, I –"

"Who's up for shots?" Kiera announced.

"I think we'll head out," Mitchell immediately responded, "Good catch-up guys but I planned this evening with my girl, so if you'll excuse us?"

"Mila?" Mitchell sat forward and offered me his hand.

I glanced at his hand and then up at him from under my lashes, his expression told me he wasn't asking which pissed me off even more.

I ignored his hand and smiled at Kiera, "Tequila?"

"Now you're talking, girl!" Kiera smiled widely.

"Mila," Mitchell grumbled beside me.

"Relax Mitch," I placed my hand on his shoulder and squeezed, "The night just started and I kinda like your friends."

Mitchell's jaw ticked and he glared icily at me, "Now you're on thin ice."

"Oh yeah," I leaned into him and brought my lips a breath away from his, "What are you going to do about it?"

He didn't respond with words but his darkened gaze, rigid posture, clenched jaw, and margins of his lips that were rolled in told me how pissed off he was and most of it was currently at me.

"Mila?" Mia called and after I flashed Mitchell one more innocent smile, I tapped his cheek and scooted closer to the girls.

Mitchell's eyes never left me as he pulled out the carton of cigarettes from his pocket and pulled one out, he glanced at Trey, "You mind?"

"Nah man," Trey waved him off, "Although, I might have something better than that shit for you to smoke."

Mitchell's lips curved a fraction and something that sounded between a scoff, snort and laugh escaped his throat, "I'm good."

Mitchell brought the cigarette to his lips, grabbed a lighter off the table, and after he lit the cigarette, he took a long puff, and as he exhaled, his eyes pierced into mine.

I did my best not to glare at him because I knew he purposely smoked to piss me off. Instead, I rolled my hands into fists at my sides, took in a deep breath, and decided not to give into him.

"You seriously prefer that crap than one of these babies," Trey pulled out what appeared to be a perfectly rolled joint.

"Come on man, what happened to my stoner bud?" Trey grinned widely.

Mitchell shook his head, "Crossfading never sat well with me."

"You just gotta know how to do it right," Trey smirked and brought the joint to his lips.

My brows raised; I had no idea Mitchell ever smoked weed. Seemingly, I learned more things about Mitchell from Trey in one night than I did on our seven-day road trip.

"You were a stoner?" I couldn't keep the shock out of my voice when I choked out the words.

Mitchell hesitated for a moment, "I wouldn't call myself a stoner... more of an occasional indulgence. But it was a long time ago, I don't do that anymore."

I was slightly amused, Mitchell always came off as so prim and proper that the first time I saw him unwind was while he was under the influence of alcohol. Now, I suddenly wondered what a high Mitchell was like.

"Occasional indulgence, is that what we're calling it?" Trey was on the verge of laughing.

"I mean... when we're in college we try all sorts of crap," Mitchell coolly replied.

I pursed my lips and even though the stench of Trey's joint was awful, I was curious what the hype about marijuana was about.

"I've never tried pot before," I mused and eyed the joint in Trey's hand.

"Let's keep it that way," Mitchell's eyes immediately found mine, and the look he gave told me not to pursue it any further so naturally, I did the opposite.

"Oh, come on," I said to Mitchell, "What's one puff gonna do?"

"Right, Trey?" I turned my attention to the amused man, "I bet you have lots to go around."

Mitchell was losing his cool by the minute but he should've known better than to treat me like a freaking child. My entire life, I looked out for myself and even though his intentions might've been pure, I did not like the way he reprimanded me all night.

"I'm all about sharing," Trey lazily said, "But you're a doctor and you have a big shot as a dad," he paused and glanced at Mitchell. "And my man over here looks like he's about to kill me with one look. So, sorry babe, I'm going to have to stay out of this."

"Ouch," I feigned offense, "Brinson name always getting me in trouble."

I shifted a little closer to Mitchell and looked into his stormy eyes innocently, "Such a bore."

Mitchell's glare hadn't deterred but I wasn't the least amount bothered, I was about to scoot back over towards Mia but Mitchell grasped my arm and pulled me towards him.

I looked down at his grasp on my arm, took in my surroundings, and noticed that everyone was in their element before I looked up into Mitchell's angry eyes. "Stop," I drawled, "Let's leave the manhandling for the bedroom, hmm."

I had no idea if Mitchell attempted to further chisel his already defined jaw but by the number of times he clenched it in one night, I could've assumed so.

"Why are you provoking me?" he hissed under his breath.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I trailed my finger over his rigid jaw, "I'm simply being... Mila."

"Tequila anyone?" Kiera shouted as a tray of shots arrived.

"Mila," Mitchell held onto my arm firmer as I was about to move over, "I don't want to fight with you but –"

I cut him off when I noticed the ash from his cigarette that threatened to fall on Mitchell's trousers. "Careful," I glanced to the awful-smelling thing, "You'll get burnt."

Mitchell's brows furrowed for a moment until he realized what I meant and pulled his hand as far away from me as possible. He tapped the butt on the edge of his empty glass and allowed the ash to fall in.

"Relax Mitch, I'm sitting right here with you, there's no need to be so uptight," I coolly said and he slowly let go of my arm and allowed me to move closer to the girls who were already downing shots.

Over the next hour or so, I found myself having fun even though Mitchell sat in his place and forced smiles with his friends as he sipped on whiskey. I felt his eyes on me all the time and it annoyed me, I knew he cared but I was right there with him and saw no need for him to be so... suffocating.

Three tequilas in, I and felt slightly buzzed but was nowhere near wasted., I hadn't wanted to get drunk out of my mind but the way Mitchell reprimanded me with his eyes made me want to drink more just so I defied him.

I was about to take another shot but before I could, Mitchell reached for the little glass and pulled it out of my hand. I was ready to protest but he downed it before I could utter a word. After he placed the empty glass down, he reached for the fresh lime in my hand and sucked on it.

"Someone finally decided to join the party," Mia grinned widely.

Mitchell tossed the lime on the tray and, after he pulled his face as sour mixed with bitter in his mouth, he said, "No, I just think Mila had one too many."

Someone wants to be murdered tonight!

"And I think Mila can make her own decisions," I leaned into him and humorlessly smiled.

Mitchell wrapped an arm around me and kissed the side of my head, "Not when she's intoxicated."

Mitchell brought his lips to my ear when he buried his face in my hair and tightened his hold on me, "We've been here too long, let's leave."

Maybe if you asked, I'd listen.

I shook my head and he pulled away to look at me annoyed, "Mila, can you listen to me for once in –"

"Who wants to dance?" Brie, who was way more wasted than any of us, shouted over the music that surrounded us.

I looked at Mitchell with hopeful eyes but he was a stubborn ass and obstinate about leaving.

"One dance?" I asked him with doe eyes.

Mitchell deeply sighed, "Honestly, I just want to leave."

I rolled my eyes, "Ugh, you're the definition of a pain in the ass tonight."

Mitchell deeply sighed, "I could say the same about you," he leaned in and looked at me under an angry, slightly tipsy eyes, "It's like you're taking pleasure in testing me tonight."

His words only added to the annoyance I felt towards him. I had no idea why he was so much on edge when I was under his nose all night. While we'd known each other for almost three years and been together as a couple for a little over six weeks, this side of Mitchell was something I did not like and was not used to.

"What is your problem?" I kept my tone low but the irritation was evident.

"My problem right now is that you refuse to leave with me," he said softly between gritted teeth.

"Maybe it's because I'm having fun," I coolly said.

"Or maybe you take pleasure in getting under my skin," he countered.

I snickered under my breath, "You say that as if you just met me."

Mitchell's eyes darkened a shade, "So, you admit that you're purposely pissing me off?"

I innocently shrugged my shoulders, "I refuse to accept any accusations without my lawyer present."

His lips tightened, "Don't be a smartass with me right now," he took in a breath and spoke in a calmer tone, "I'm asking nicely, let's leave."

I pursed my lips, lifted my hand, and brushed back a strand of hair that fell over Mitchell's forehead, "Hmm, I might be wrong but that doesn't sound like asking."

"Mila," he grumbled under his breath and grasped my wrist, "I'm serious."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "You keep insisting you don't want to fight, it sure feels like you just started one."

"Now, are you going to dance with me or not?"

Mitchell's eyes flashed and his jaw ticked when he sternly said, "No."

I huffed under my breath and pulled my hand out of his grasp, "Fine, I'll just find another dance partner."

I moved to get up from my seat but Mitchell grabbed my arm and yanked me towards him. His eyes were angry and his lips were pursed tightly, "What the fuck does that mean?"

I glared at him, reached for his fingers on my arm, and unhooked them one by one, "Now, you stop provoking me."

Mitchell ran his tongue over his bottom lips, clearly irritable, and reached for me once more but I put up a hand, shot him a look of warning, and irritably snapped, "¡Estoy hasta los las narices!"   

A/N Hi everyone! Will these two ever stop clashing with their egos? Who's side were you on? Mila or Mitch? We know Mila doesn't like being told what to do and Mitch cant help himself sometimes.

Tension is high and they let off steam in the next one which will be up tomorrow night.

I hope you enjoyed it, 
Let me know your thoughts,

Till then,
Be safe,
Tina

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 97 26
Kendall has always lived a quiet life in a small town in Illinois with her family, friends, and boyfriend Jordan. Her life had been mostly happy othe...
703 44 20
"Give me one valid reason as to why I should sign this?" He said leaning back on his chair, folding his arms against his chest. "Umm...you'd get a y...
20.5M 346K 42
#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | #1 Romance "We all need someone to drive us mad." - The Wombats. He stared arrogantly down at me, a smirk plaste...
10.1K 1.2K 64
We were together. I forgot the rest. A car accident got me to suffer from amnesia, leading me to cross the paths of a rockstar. I assume I had never...