The Green Guardian

By CroodsGirl

|2021 VERSION| |23X FEATURED · 2X SPOLIGHT STORY · SHORTLISTED FOR THE SEASONAL CONTESTS!| Mateo Brook, a you... More

Author's Note (Important Message at the End)
Character Aesthetics
A Note to Judges and Reviewers about Mateo (Also Important!)
Part 1: Euphorbia, the Forest Spirit (Evie)
Chapter 1: The Fairy and the Basilisk
Chapter 2: Unbalanced Dimension
Chapter 3: Portal to Another World
Chapter 4: Dysfunctional Drama
Chapter 5: The Pebble Masters
Chapter 6: Vitality of the Forest
Chapter 7: Ranger Anthony
Chapter 8: Emergency!
Chapter 9: A Rescue Worth Dying For
Chapter 10: Light in the Darkness
Chapter 11: The Witch Doctor
Chapter 12: Secret of the Forest
Chapter 13: The Briefing
Chapter 14: King Benjamin
Chapter 15: Ambush!
Chapter 16: Crows' Den
Chapter 17: The Green Guardian
Part 2: Thebes (Mateo)
Bonus Chapter: Expectations
Chapter 18: Night of the Second Moon
Chapter 19: One with Nature
Chapter 20: Thebes of Seranet
Chapter 21: Fight for Mateo
Chapter 22: Whispers of the Fae
Chapter 23: Family Ties
Chapter 24: Euphorbia's Successor
Chapter 25: Thebes Strikes Back
Chapter 26: Lore of the Green Guardian
Chapter 27 - Mission: Rescue Mateo!
Chapter 28: Heart of Darkness
Part 3: Training Days (Mateo and Evie)
Bonus Chapter 2: In the Beginning
Chapter 29: Three Boops on the Nose
Chapter 30: It's Not Time to Die
Chapter 31: Sacrifice
Chapter 32: Petrified
Chapter 33: Fororli
Chapter 34: Elushia Amisha
Chapter 35: The Truth About Sam
Chapter 36: The Fae Prince
Chapter 37: Tears of Hope
Chapter 39: The Return of Ben
Chapter 40: Pinta's First Ranger
Part 4: The Guardian's Tree (Mateo and Evie)
Bonus Chapter 3: Pinta Park Ranger
Chapter 41: Redemption
Chapter 42: Cold Blood
Chapter 43: The Bittersweet
Chapter 44: "Wrapped Up in Light"
Chapter 45: Euphorbia's Legacy
Chapter 46: But isn't that selfishness?
Chapter 47: "Tale As Old As Time"
Chapter 48: Warrior Princess
Chapter 49: The Final Battle (Part 1)
Chapter 49: The Final Battle (Part 2)
Chapter 50: Love Conquers All
Epilogue: Miracle of Life
Final Author's Note
Accolades/Review (s)
Accolades Cont.
Accolades Cont. (2)
Accolades Cont. (3)
Accolades Cont. (4)
Accolades Cont. (5) (Celebrating 100 Wins!)
Accolades Cont. (6)

Chapter 38: The Mascot of the Basilisk

221 9 26
By CroodsGirl

        Keegan wanted to accept Mateo, but his inner voice (the voice in his head) interfered with his decision. In his room, he sat up in bed, with his silky sheets over his knees. Frustrated, he knocked his phone off the dresser in between both hotel beds. Keegan did not like being quarantined, but he understood why he was.

A chill passed over his head. The presence, though, felt different–less demonic.

Keegan searched the room. The curtains in front of the window blew gracefully, even though the AC wasn't on. He rubbed his hands together and asked, "Who's there?"

Something tugged at his ear. It jerked it, causing Keegan to fall off his bed. He landed on top of his phone–a cheap Samsung. "What do you want?" he said. He would probably need an Ouija board to understand the spirit or a spirit box.

The being's ghostly hands grabbed his shirt collar. Keegan felt his feet lifting off the floor. He shivered, feeling fearful.

From out of nowhere, the door to his room flew open. Evie, Charlotte, and Sam rushed inside.

Sam, who glared, yelled, "Drop him, Faelyn!" at the spirit.

Keegan felt it releasing his collar, and he fell back onto his phone. He hit his funny bone, and boy did that hurt. Keegan clutched his elbow. "Faelyn?" he inquired. Was he really dealing with Mateo's father–the jerk who used to show off all the time when he was younger?

Sam was the only one who saw and heard Faelyn. The ghost was beyond mad.

Keegan yelled at him. "What are you doing back in my life?"

Faelyn never met Keegan. They were distant from each other when they were younger. Nevertheless, Keegan always spied on him.

Faelyn pointed at him. "For your information, dude, you're killing my son! Did you really think I wasn't going to do anything? What if that was your daughter in his shoes?"

"What's he saying?" Keegan angrily asked Sam.

He crossed his arms. "He's asking what you would do if Evie was in Mateo's shoes."

"And he has every right to ask that," said Charlotte. She hugged Evie to her side.

Keegan shut down. He didn't want anything bad to happen to his daughter. She was Daddy's little girl.

Sam's foot started to tap. He squeezed in front of his family members. "Euphorbia told me, Mr. Madison, and I'm going to pass her message down to you, that no doubt about it, Maria and Mateo are going to have a little girl. Euphorbia's seen her with her time-traveling powers. Mateo is going to love that little girl just as much as you love Evie. Do you really want her to grow up without a dad?"

Keegan's head hurt. He clutched it and begged, "Don't patronize me! You're just a kid! What do you know about love?"

"Darling, please." Charlotte let Evie go. "Give Mateo a chance, and give his little girl a chance to have a dad. After everything that's happened to him, Mateo needs some light in his life."

"No, he needs to be punished!" Keegan protested. "Who, in their right mind, gets a twenty-one-year-old pregnant?"

Evie jumped in. "He didn't mean to, Daddy. It was an accident."

Sam nodded. He crept closer to Keegan as if he were a cat stalking a mouse. "Euphorbia also told me that Mateo and Maria have not messed around since the banquet." He knew there was a little girl present, but he had to say this for Keegan to understand. "Mateo is scared now. He never wants to do it again."

Charlotte slapped her palms over Evie's ears, but she already heard Sam's remark. The adults did not need to hide it from her. She was old enough to know how babies were made.

Keegan considered Sam's words. Really? That freak of a counselor had not made a move on Maria since the night Isabella was conceived? Perhaps he did have a heart after all? Argh, the internal conflict was killing him!

"Please, don't let my son die," Faelyn begged. "Just accept him. He's made mistakes, yes, but he's a good man. He's not one of those bad boys you see in cliché novels."

Sam glanced from him to Keegan. "Faelyn says that even though Mateo's naïve, he's not a bad boy. He's a good man. Everyone else in the family sees this. Why can't you?"

For an eleven-year-old, Sam was quite wise, in Keegan's opinion. He took a deep breath and looked Evie and Charlotte right in their eyes.

"Okay, fine. Take me to Mateo. I will see what I can do."

***

The basilisk, Euphorbia, Evie's group members, and Ms. Julie waited for the family members outside next to the village's maple tree.

Villagers screamed when they saw the monster. They dove into their houses and slammed the doors shut.

The basilisk whimpered. It wished that the villagers could see its good side. It had one when its master wasn't giving it orders.

Keegan gestured at it. "Wait, are we going to ride that thing?"

Sam nodded. "Sure are. The basilisk is big, but it's fast." He hopped onto the serpent's head and placed his hands behind his back. "Come on, Mr. Madison. Don't be a chicken."

"I'm no chicken!" Keegan snapped, clenching his fists.

Sam could not help but smile. "Really? You seemed pretty weirded out by Faelyn, you conceited ape."

"Oooh!" Keegan's face burned with embarrassment.

Ms. Julie and Evie's group members chuckled. It was always amusing to watch a child burn an adult.

The basilisk plopped one of its tails down in front of Keegan. It shook its head slightly to move Sam's legs away from its eyes. It couldn't go anywhere if it couldn't see.

Evie tried to help her dad. She offered him her hand, but he slapped it away. "I've got it."

However, Keegan tripped over the basilisk's tail. He fell onto it and wrapped his arms around its scales. A few drops of sweat trickled down his temples, cheeks, and neck.

Charlotte easily climbed the serpent's tail. She used it like a rock-climbing structure. Before Keegan knew it, she was up top with Sam, and she plopped down next to him.

Euphorbia fluttered in front of Keegan's face. She tilted his chin up with her little hand. Amused, she gave it a few boops.

Sam's blue eyes caught Faelyn hovering next to the basilisk's second tail. The ghost rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. Keegan was so annoying. It was as if he'd never ridden a basilisk before. He refused to remove his arms from around the creature's tail.

Evie came within reach of her group members before she joined her family. She and Ashlynn hooked hands. "I'm sorry that things are so awful right now," she apologized.

Ashlynn shrugged. "Hey, it's okay. You never know what camp is going to throw at you."

Evie glanced at Ms. Julie. "Ms. Julie, can my group members come, too? Please. After all, Mateo is our counselor."

"Um..." Ms. Julie's voice trailed, but then she saw the desperation in Ashlynn, Amanda, Emrys, and Tate's faces.

Amanda rocked back and forth on her heels. "Please? We're aspiring rangers, too."

Tate grabbed hold of Emrys. He brought him to his chest and rubbed his knuckle on top of his head. "Besides, Emrys here misses Mateo's burns. Right, Emrys?"

Emrys released himself. "I do not!" Evie, though, saw him blushing. She would never understand why some boys thought they were so cool.

Ms. Julie thought long and hard about Evie's plea. She kneeled to the children. "Ashlynn, Amanda, Emrys, and Tate, you do understand what's going on is a family matter, right?"

Ashlynn shrugged. "So?" She moved her body from side to side to stretch. "We've done nothing to help. Absolutely nothing. It's about time we did."

"Oh please, Ms. Julie." Amanda slapped her palms together.

Emrys flipped his black locks. "Sam probably needs some boys to hang out with, anyway." He nudged Tate in the ribs. "Right, Tate?"

Tate said nothing. He was still a little shy.

Ms. Julie sighed deeply. "Okay, fine. You guys definitely have a lot more going on than the other groups."

Now it was Evie's turn to shrug. "Besides, more people mean more protection. If Mateo is going to succeed with his mission, he needs all of us."

Ashlynn flicked her friend's nose. "No, not Mateo, but Ranger Anthony. We're helping the most famous ranger in all of Pinta Country, Evie!"

Excited, Amanda batted her hands together. "How often does this happen?" Just thinking about Mateo, she blushed. She had to admit, his glamor was one of the reasons why she wanted to tag along. How embarrassing.

Ms. Julie's voice interrupted her romantic thoughts: "Just, be careful."

"We will, Ms. Julie," Evie and Ashlynn said at the same time.

"Hey! Don't forget me!" Evie and her friends moved off to the side when John swooped down from the canopy. He hovered over the center of the circle. A bare patch of dirt was under him. There were three tranquilizer guns in his claws. "I have our weapons. If anyone tries to touch Mateo, we will put them to sleep. Eh?"

Keegan shivered at the sight of the guns. He still recalled the tingling sensation in his neck when John accidentally shot him.

"Oh, perfect, John!" Evie cheered. "Sam and I have a plan for the tranquilizers, anyway. Right, Sam?" She winked at her long-lost uncle.

He returned it. "Sure do, Evie."

Ms. Julie met eyes with the basilisk. "Mr. Basilisk, do you think you can carry four more?"

Of course, it could! The basilisk was thirty feet long. It nodded at the ranger and offered the children its second tail. They hopped onto it one at a time and grasped the serpent's spikes for balance.

It nodded at its crew, and then it slid forward, in the direction of the cave that led into Paperblank Forest. It accidentally ducked Keegan's face in the stream, covering it in water and algae.

John chuckled slightly. Keegan deserved a nice dunk after everything he said to Mateo.

Evie, her friends, and family members waved goodbye to Ms. Julie.

"Bye, Ms. Julie!" the children called.

She waved back. "Bye! Be safe!" She lowered her hand. "What brave kids. They are going to make amazing rangers one day."

Evie was right. More people meant more protection. Mateo needed it all. He was so close to becoming the Green Guardian, meaning that he was the main target for the hunter and his army now–the army of the cursed and undead.

Ms. Julie plopped down on one of the maple tree's branches. She thought for a minute, letting the warm air tickle her tan skin, and eventually called, "Crystal!"

"I'm here, Ms. Julie," said a familiar, high-pitched voice. Crystal the unicorn emerged from behind some flower-filled bushes. She trotted to Ms. Julie and stopped next to her.

Ms. Julie scratched her behind her ear. "I need you to follow the basilisk and watch that family and Evie's friends."

"No problem," Crystal said with a flip of her mane. "What are you going to do–stay here and continue to look pretty?"

"I have a camp to run!" Ms. Julie snapped. "My tribe is also very busy at the moment."

"I'm kidding," Crystal laughed. "You need to learn to take a joke. Have you had any contact with them yet?"

"Not yet," Ms. Julie replied, "but they should call soon and give me an update on the battle plan. Until they're ready, I need you to pop your wings and fly."

Crystal friendlily scoffed. "Okay, okay." She shook her head. "Why are all you rangers so serious nowadays?" She nipped at her white hair, because there was a horsefly on it, and then backed away from Ms. Julie.

The unicorn's horn glowed white. Sparkles escaped it and circled her body from head to toe. A pair of gorgeous, feathery wings popped out of her back. The wings were big enough to wrap around her whole body. They were angel-like and mystical beyond comparison.

Dirt bursts up from the ground as Crystal flapped them. Her wings took her into the sky. "Danger is my middle name, Juliette."

Ms. Julie rolled her eyes. "Crystal, I already told you... I like to be called 'Julie',"

"Sure you do. Good luck, ma'am. We'll be waiting for you." Crystal flew through the maple tree's branches and leaves, dropping quite a few of them in the process. She climbed higher into the sky, both nervous and excited about what lay ahead. Within seconds, she soared over Paperblank's treetops.

Crystal loved feeling the wind in her feathers. She flew in an arch, allowing the bright rays of the sun to blanket her back. She needed to stretch and prepare for the battle. One day, Mateo himself would be able to fly with her. The Guardian looked after all inhabitants of the Paperblank Forest, whether they were human or not, but it was also sacred for him/her to fly with the alicorns.

Crystal folded her wings. She dove nose first back toward the forest. Her lips flapped as she smiled stupidly. Her mane waved like a kite flying over a beach, but this kite was free and ready to move to the next one.

At the maple tree, Ms. Julie hopped down from the branch where she had been resting. She looked over her shoulder, to make sure nobody was looking, and waved her hands in a circle. A light blue doorway–a portal–appeared in front of her. It was the size of her and was reminiscent of the portal Evie witnessed the morning before she came to camp.

Ms. Julie nodded to herself. She put one foot in front of her and ducked into the doorway. She waited too long. She needed to know the status of her tribe before Crystal could get too far. Evie, her family members, and her friends were not a big enough army to take on the hunter's cursed one. Ms. Julie had to do everything she could to protect the Guardian's Tree and Mateo's transformation before it was too late. Hers and the basilisk's tribe were counting on her.

Just traveling through the portal, Ms. Julie felt hope. The tunnel was long and glowed a bright cyan. It was wormhole-like. Ms. Julie brushed her fingertips across the light energy. She watched as the tunnel's exit drew closer and closer.

To herself, she said, "It's time to save the Paperblank Forest."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

217K 8K 64
"People you trust? What about her? What happens when she's stuck with people she doesn't trust?" When William Granger agreed to babysit for a few hou...
Dionne By Mia

Werewolf

447 155 31
"Why are you running from me?" I said with my heart breaking in pieces just from listening to the words getting out of my mouth and being directed to...
84.7K 760 10
[Watty's Shortlist & WATTPAD PICKS -- Up and Coming List 06.07.2018] Now Available on Amazon!!! His hands moved down to cradle her neck. "I only hav...
726 79 30
There was a princess Living carefree She wanted the world she wanted everything Diamonds and pearls Emeralds and gold She bathed in the riches only s...