Sweet Intoxication {Erik Dest...

Por m3ntallyexhausted

Though he thought his life was to be a never-ending cycle of pain and sorrow, Erik Destler finds himself capt... Más

(A/N)
Chapter I: An Intro
Chapter II: Box 5
Chapter III: New Rehearsals
Chapter IV: The Encounter
Chapter V: Frenemies
Chapter VI: Eye Contact
Chapter VII: "Hello there"
Chapter VIII: Heard as the Outcast Hears...
Chapter IX: Hidden Talent
↓ Part 2 ↓
Chapter X: Drunken Pianist
Chapter XII: Tension
Chapter XIII: Unmasked
Chapter XIV: Back Up
Chapter XV: Pianist Privilege
(A/N)

Chapter XI: Return of the Phantom

1.1K 44 26
Por m3ntallyexhausted

The whole lair, the whole underground, were silent. Everything was lifeless, no sign of soul, except for them, the two "friends". (Y/N) was sleeping in Erik's protective, loving arms. Her mouth was open with her body relaxed in his embrace, for she felt safe. Even while sleeping subconsciously, she felt safe. Erik's hair was tousled. His chin was pressed against (Y/N)'s head, and his breathing was slow and deep, making him relax and let his worries go. His mask was not fixed on his face. Without him realizing, he heightened the white mask to his head which was irritating his skin in his sleep.

Steadily, Erik groaned and his eyes fluttered open. As his vision took focus, his eyes shook, with his heartbeat increasing in speed. Then, his tensed muscles loosened, and a smile was drawn on his face. The man was not used to waking up like this. He said it himself; being shamed into solitude was not very fun. Erik's eyes were fixed upon (Y/N) for about two minutes. Tenderly, he removed himself from under her. Her sleeping position shifted to the side before Erik pressed a gentle kiss on her forehead, hoping she would not wake up just yet. When he saw her lying there so peacefully, while her chest went up and down matching her breathing, he felt it. He knew he had developed feelings for a pianist he was not supposed to meet.

However, there were no plans in his mind to tell her his feelings, even if they grew stronger. The phantom had sworn not to fall in love again, not to get heartbroken again, not again. Despite that, he cared about (Y/N). He was willing to do everything in his power to make her feel safe and secure.

Flashback

"For the next lesson, I want this piece properly rehearsed, and start working on this piece. I'd say, the first 2-3 pages." (Y/N) heard her teacher say. Her face grew worried. Fuck, how will I get this done?

"Is there a problem?", Erik asked. "No," (Y/N) answered faking a smile, clearly lying. "(Y/N)... what is wrong?", he held her hand. "I just- I'm sorry, I'm under so much stress right now. A new opera, these new singing lessons, it's just too much."

Erik felt guilty. "Why didn't you say so before? I did not know that I was stressing you out this much. Just revise what we covered today. That would be just fine." The man really didn't like upsetting her. "REALLY? Thank you. I do appreciate you teaching me, really," (Y/N)'s mood turned joyful, and hugged him purely. Apparently, her love language was physical touch. I think I may be doing this too much.

End of flashback

Erik wanted her to let go of the worries that have been holding her back. She was a musical prodigy, yes, but everyone needs a break sometimes. He sat down at his desk, got his ink and paper, and took a deep breath. As the ink touched the paper, he started writing:

Dearest Firmin,

I think you already who this is by the stamp on the envelope. I am still alive, yes. However, my comeback shall arrive in peace. I have no intention of causing any harm to my opera house anymore, not after last time. I dearly appreciate the time and effort you took to rebuild this place. After all, "All publicity is good publicity." I might say though, I am more than pleased with the new orchestra and cast, especially the main pianist. Now, I know what you're thinking. The new Daaé? No, my old friend. Mistakes were made, and promises were broken. A new page is opening. Nonetheless, I will still demand my old requests, Box 5, and my monthly salary. My savings are kind of running out. One more thing, I want Miss (Y/L/N) to be treated the same way you used to treat Carlotta, even better. I shall suggest you give her a two-day break from practice, and do not worry, she is with me with consent. I remain, sir, your obedient servant.

O.G.

P.S.: Should you attempt to call the police, or contact any source of authority, I will not hesitate to bring foul upon this opera house once more.

"Okay, I think this is fine," Erik whispered to the walls, and sealed the envelope with red wax using his skull stamp. For André, he left an empty paper in his envelope, and on the envelope, he wrote, "For André". He kind of liked the old man. He was easily frightened. Erik took one glance at (Y/N), adjusted his mask, and quickly went to announce his return before (Y/N) awakens.

~~~~~

Monsieur Firmin opened the door to his office cheerfully. All has been going so well managing the opera house. All was well, until his attention caught the view of a letter on his desk. His heart dropped at the sight of the fake red skull.

He RAN to the envelope and opened it barbarically. When he finished reading the last word, his door flung open, revealing a frightened André, holding a paper high with his arm. "He's back," he whispered out of breath.

"IT'S EMPTY!"

"EMPTY? READ THIS!"

Firmin handed the note to André, and he started reading. After a few seconds, he lifted his head from the paper.

"What are we going to do?"

"WE'LL CALL FOR SECURITY THAT'S FOR SURE."

"FIRMIN! HAVE YOU NOT READ THE LETTER? WE CAN'T RISK IT ANYMORE. I will not bet this opera house on luck once again."

"BUT WHO IS MISS (Y/L/N)??"

"The main pianist. Dare I say, he has good taste. 'Treating her well' is far less than she deserves. She's flawless... poor girl."

Firmin stared at him and sighed. "Very well. REMY! TELL MADAME GIRY TO MEET US HERE THIS SECOND!", he yelled for the assistant. Within a few minutes, a French accent emerged from after the open door. "You called me, Monsieur?"

"AH! Madame Giry. Care to explain?"

He signaled for André to hand her the note, and so he did. Anxiety built up in her; her mind coming up with thousands of theories and lies as she skimmed the note. She put on her confident woman attitude and spoke, "I'm not sure what you want me to say, Monsieur." Her shoulders were raised. "You mean to tell me you did not know this was going on, that he was alive this whole time?", Firmin asked her. "Listen to me, Monsieur. I don't know what you want me to tell you. He is clearly back and there is nothing you can do about it. You can contact the police like last time, but we all know how that went. You knew I was taking care of his box. You put me in charge. Just do as he wishes. I'm sure you can pay his monthly salary and much more. Leave him at peace and he'll do the same. Whether you like it or not, Monsieur, you have a third co-owner. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go get the ballet girls ready." Madame Giry spat those words with complete self-possession, and left the room egotistical before they got to say a word. She was good. Really good.

~~~~~

Erik was sitting on his couch scribbling some sketches of random objects in the lair. His organ, his roses, the lake... His thoughts were interrupted by a groan coming from beside. "Christ, what happened yesterday?" (Y/N) said rubbing her forehead with her palm.

"Good morning. Don't you remember?"

"Yeah sorry, good morning. My head is killing me. Erm... I was out with my friends, Emile drove me to my apartment, and I sneaked here."

"Good, good. You came drunk. You almost fainted too. Oh, and you asked me to sleep with you."

(Y/N) opened her eyes wide as that made her actually wake up.

"I what...?"

"Apparently so."

"Oh my god." She whined. "Wow, um, I'm sorry. I didn't really mean what I was saying. Wait... then what?"

"Well... I agreed."

(Y/N) let out a small laugh trying not to believe what Erik is saying. She started tapping her foot to the ground as she grew nervous with each second. Erik chuckled at her, and she grew confused.

"Relax. You assured me that I just lay beside you. You were drunk so. I laid next to you as you fell asleep.... in my arms. In fact, as I fell asleep with you too. That was after you almost fainted and I had to carry you to your- my bed."

(Y/N)'s fingers ran through her hair as she tried to process this information.

"God, remind me not to go out drinking ever again."
"To be honest with you, I wasn't disturbed. It was nice spending the night with someone."

(Y/N) looked at him, smiled, then nodded. "What time is i-", she looked at the clock and jumped. "OH NONONO I'M LATE FOR PRACTICE AGAIN."

She ran a few steps to exit the lair, but Erik quickly went after her and caught her from the elbow. "It's alright. I have it managed." He told her. "What-? What do you mean?" (Y/N) said as her tone started to calm down. "Well, life has become kind of boring. And remember how you told me how you're under a lot of pressure? Let's just say... I hit two birds with one stone. The phantom of the opera myth is no longer a myth."

"You didn't..."

"But I did."

"You didn't."

"I did."

"WHAT IF THEY COME LOOKING FOR YOU? AND THEY FIND ME HERE?"

"(Y/N)!! Calm down! You are talking to the literal phantom. Do not fear, I have everything under control." Hopefully. "You now get to take one or two days as a break from the opera practice. You could stay here with me. The singing lessons would be easier, and you don't have to worry about the opera or any other thing stressing you out. I think I might have a few things for you to wear too."

(Y/N) sighed. "You do have everything under control, do you?"

Erik smiled at her, held her hand and led her back to the lair.

Whilst he walked her and sat her down, (Y/N) was looking at him amazed. He took a seat next to her. Her hair was still messy, and a few strands of hair were removed from her face as Erik swiftly brushed them away. His blue eyes nerved (Y/N). His gaze instilled butterflies in her stomach.

"Are you alright?", Erik asked when she was unknowingly staring at him. He made her heart pound so fast, so fast that if he were silent, he could've heard it beat and echo in the lair. (Y/N) snapped out of it and nervously said, nodding,

"Yes, yes I am fine. Are you sure you want me to stay here?"

"I really don't mind, (Y/N). You can return if you want to."

How could a soul so sweet be so hated by hundreds of men and women?

"No, no. I should be thanking you. You've done so much for me."

"You deserve it. You really do."

(Y/N) embraced him in a soft hug. Usually, she would wait a few seconds until he hugged her back, but he quickly wrapped his arms around her this time. She went through millions of emotions so fast. At first, she felt safe in his arms. A part of her felt sad, sad for him and what he's been through. Another part was confused. Why did she develop feelings for him? Was she going to tell him any time soon? Will these feelings continue if she saw beneath the mask? They most probably will. She saw his heart. She saw his eyes. She heard his voice. It won't matter if his face was deformed, but it would matter, if this deformed face, along with that flawless heart, did not feel the same way for her as she did for them.  

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

5K 342 20
Erik Destler, the disfigured musical genius, was living in unimaginable conditions as part of an act in a freak show. Sylvie Coopré, a shy girl, is...
12.2K 298 37
Christine is dead and the Phantom is alone once more. But this time...not completely. He now has Gustave, their child, with him. After learning the t...
33K 1K 43
The great fire, it cost Erik everything he ever knew. His house, his only love... everything. He roamed the streets for almost four years, staying hi...
18K 481 22
Juliette is like fire, passionate about life and music. She doesn't let the world bring her down, no matter what. Erik is like ice, cold and distant...