My Nepenthe

By souji28

Nepenthe-- a fictional medicine for sorrow, pain. "Drug of forgetfulness" My take on the "inspiration" scene... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
New OS
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
New story
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

Chapter 22

922 119 262
By souji28

Dedicated to Naina8721 and VyshanvjKatakam for guessing right.

Congratulations lakshmi_priyanka_... for passing your exams in first class.

***********************************
I am sorry if you find this chapter not to your liking but I had to write it down... don't forget to give your comments...

**********************************

"Shyamala, this is Gauri. She is Omkara's wife," Taadaka introduced the women to each other.

The bride's mother stared at the beauty dressed in a yellow saree bordered with blotches of purple and red to match with her husband's yellow kurta. Golden jhumkas with red stones hung from her ears complementing her ruby necklace and vermilion filled hair partition. Her open hair fell in waves down one shoulder and her bangles clanged as she gathered her hands in a greeting.

"Namaste Aunty ji," Gauri smiled and received a courteous greeting.

"You look so pretty madam ji. Where is Omkara sir?"

"He is talking to Kamlesh, he will be here in no time. Why don't you take her inside and initiate the ritual, it is time to start the function isn't it?" said Taadaka.

"Of course, come inside Gauri madam," Shyamala smiled at her.

"Uh, you can call me Gauri, I don't mind it aunty ji."

"Thanks but it isn't that easy beta. We have to maintain certain etiquette. You might be small in age but we are still workers, small in status."

"But..."

"Do you have to argue with everything?" Subhadra made her presence known and Gauri stopped short.

"Come," Shyamala said and walked her inside.

**************************************************************

Sometime into the ritual, Gauri squirmed in her place as the women before her gave assessing looks and talked between themselves, as if she were not there at the same place as them.

The bride's mother made her sit with a group of elderly ladies saying they are important people belonging to some affluent village heads.

"Is she Jhanvi's bahu?" one of the women asked curiously.

"Must be. Isn't she beautiful?"

"Very much," gushed another.

"Let me have a look at Omkara too, it has been a while since I last saw him."

"Yeah, heard that he turned more handsome now."

She looked around the place to find somebody of her age to chat with but felt disappointed when the place was filled with the older generation. The younger ones were present close to the decorated stage where the bride sat while her relatives applied the mixture of turmeric.

"How many children do you have?" one of the ladies asked her.

"Ji, I... we did not..." she stammered.

"How long have you been married?"

"Four months at the most Daadi ji."

"Oh, newly-wed. Explains the blush," she laughed turning to the woman on the side who readily joined her.

"I used to be the same when I was your age. Where do you come from?"

"Bareilly."

"Then you should know of a village wedding. Did you marry there?"

"Umm, not exactly."

"Means?"

Gauri was contemplating how to answer the question when Taadaka called her. When she saw the elderly woman standing at a distance with Omkara and some other girl, she sighed in relief. Excusing herself, she swiftly moved out of there and reached her husband.

"You seemed relieved," Omkara whispered to her, once she was close enough.

"Very much. Where did you go?"

"I..."

"Gauri, this is Archana, the one I told you about yesterday," Taadaka said stopping the couple talk.

She felt so happy to finally see someone her age in the whole place that she grinned happily.

"Archu, make her sit with the bride. Let her also get haldi applied," the elderly woman said making the rest frown.

"What?"

"What's wrong? Kalyani told me that you did not have proper pre wedding rituals. Now that there is a chance, why to waste it. It is just for fun Gauri," she said.

Does that mean more attention, more teasing and more gossip with grannies? God no! ... Gauri thought turning to her husband who was looking at her.

When she gave him a pleading look, he just smiled at her discomfort.

"Omie, you go and call the mehendi artist too."

Gauri widened her eyes and grabbed his arm, gesturing him to stay put.

Signing, Omkara decided to relieve her of the stress and started, "Daadi, what is the need, we ..."

"Tumhe kuch nahi pata hai, Do as I ask," came the order.

"You are making her uncomfortable," he accused and received a dramatic gasp.

"Gauri, do you feel the same way? Shouldn't I wish to see you like a new bride?" she said with a sad smile.

Being the softie she is, Gauri gave in to the request.

"Aww meri bachi," Taadaka cooed embracing her and pushed Omkara away asking him to do the work assigned to him.

*********************************************

"Oh come on already, when will you start?" Taadaka asked in childish excitement making her smile.

She wouldn't have believed that a woman can be fierce enough to whip a person and be gentle, caring to her children at the same time, if she did not meet the elder one.

When she noticed all the women apply haldi to her while the former stood silently at a distance, she called her attention.

"What is it Gauri?"

"Won't you apply haldi to me?"

"I shouldn't Gauri," the woman smiled.

"You should daadi ji, come here."

"Gauri, try to understand. It will be a mess here. I am a widow and I shouldn'tbe participating in this."

"We are not breaking any rituals daadi ji. It is not my wedding tomorrow. Is it? You said it is for fun. Then why can't we enjoy it fully. I am anyways married. You don't need to worry," she reasoned.

Taadaka looked at her friends who nodded their heads after giving it a thought.

Smiling, she applied the turmeric mixture on her face, blessing her to have a happy married life.

As his grandmother's friend came down the stage to wipe a tear off her face, Omkara consoled her with a side hug.

"You have got a darling girl as your wife," she whispered.

"I know."

"Take care of her."

"I will daadi."

"You haven't tasted my whip yet and I don't want you to get it anytime in future," she warned and he widened his eyes.

"I am serious. She is my granddaughter too and you won't go unscathed if you pulled a stunt."

Omkara continued to gape at her when she gave a challenging look to him.

"I am planning for certain things to happen tomorrow Omie. Just go with the flow without coming in the way," she informed.

"What?"

"You will do what I say and will not oppose me."

"Why are you talking in code?"

"You will know soon."

He raised an eyebrow and she patted his shoulder with a smile.

The mehendi artist came forward and Taadka shifted her gaze to smile at the girl, asking her to go to Gauri.

"Whose name do you want me to write madam?" the girl asked.

Gauri's smile mellowed contemplating her answer. She looked up from her hand and searched for him.

She found Omkara beside Taadaka, staring at her, as if wanting to know her answer.

Now she is to decipher his look too. Couldn't he give her a small smile or a nod so that she could take his name in pride rather than she merely spelling it out for drama?... she sulked.

On the other hand, Omkara was waiting to hear his name from her lips. Did she take him for a husband now? Or was everything a part of her attempt to heal him?

"What are you thinking for so long?" Subhadra intervened.

"Write Omkara," she instructed and the mehandi girl nodded, starting her work.

"You go and get your haldi done young man. If your daadi wants to see Gauri as the bride, she would also want you to look her groom," Sarita provided.

Omkara looked at Taadaka who nodded her head and took him to the other room where the groom side rituals were taking place.

The day progressed without much lag thereafter and the couple along with Taadaka, bid adieu with a promise to return on time to the wedding, next day.

****************************************************************************************

The next day,

"Gauri, are you both ready?" Taadaka asked from down the stairs.

"Coming daadi ji," replied Gauri and looked at Omkara.

"I will take a minute with my hair, you don't need to wait for me," Omkara said looking into the mirror.

Gauri rolled her eyes and said, "Don't you think you take more time with your hair than I do? I am way more faster"

"Of course, I have long hair."

"It is not longer than mine."

"Still."

"Enough of it Omkara ji. You are not the groom so stop the beautification and come down this instant."

"Wait a minute," he said combing his hand through that lustrous hair.

In his navy blue sherwani which fit his body with perfection, he looked stunningly handsome.

Gauri drooled at the sight when she heard him speak again.

"It shouldn't look half done. It would be odd."

"You look handsome anyways," she said in a daze and bit her tongue.

"Really?" he turned to her and asked with a smirk.

"Ummm... come down fast. We are getting late," she said and sprinted down the stairs while her husband's grin stayed put.

*************************************************************************

"Let us first go to the temple and pray to the Shiv-Parvathi idol," Taadaka said and they nodded getting down from the car.

"It is worshipped here with so much love. How are we to take it home?" Omkara asked.

"No, there is a replica of the main idol which is kept in the temple itself. Kalyani asked me to give that to you," she clarified and he nodded understandingly.

"Namaste Pandit ji," Taadaka greeted the priest who smiled back.

"Who is this Taadaka ji?"

"Ji, this is Omkara, Prithiviraj singh Oberoi's grandson and she is his wife, Gauri."

"Gauri and Omkara, perfect names for the couple. It has been many years. Isn't it Omkara? Good to see you both."

"You came to attend the wedding?"

"Yes and also they want to take their kuldevta idol back to the mansion in Mumbai. It is Shivaay's marriage in a few weeks," Taadaka explained.

"Oh, that is great news. I will make the necessary arrangements done. The idol is safe inside the main cupboard. Today is an auspicious day. You can take the idol home with you," he said.

The trio nodded at him and took his blessings. The pandit then took the flowers from them, turning around to go inside the temple to start the prayers.

**********************************************

"I think we got late Omie," Taadaka said as she hurried towards the mandap.

"No, the groom isn't here yet. Nothing seems to have started," Omkara consoled, taking a look inside.

"Hai rabba, you finally came Taadaka, we have a few lags in the preparations. Those good for nothing beauticians failed to show up today" Sarita greeted them with an anxious face.

"I told Shyamala to cross check everything and keep a plan B ready."

"When does she listen? There is a ruckus going on inside. Kamlesh is worried too," she explained.

"Great," Taadaka sighed.

"Omie, you go and see if Kamlesh wanted any help. I will take Gauri with me," she said.

Omkara looked at Gauri who gestured him to do as asked. He nodded at her and turning around he made his way to go to the bride's father.

******************************************

An hour later, the wedding venue buzzed with more noise. Gauri looked around the green room as the women rushed from one end to the other trying to get things done rightly. From the time they reached, she was made to sit idly and she was bored to death.

"Can I help with anything daadi ji?" she asked politely.

"No Gauri, you don't know the things here. You sit there and wait for me. I will be back in sometime," said the elder one.

"Maybe I can help with dressing up the bride. Sarita ji said that there has been a problem there," she asked again.

"Right, can you find the room yourself?"

"Yes, I will go," she said and Taadaka thanked her before pointing her the directions.

************************************

Half an hour later,

Omkara was talking with the caterers when he saw Gauri worriedly searching for him. He excused the men and walked towards her, called her name.

She turned ho him and he saw her sigh in relief.

"What happened?" he asked looking at her pale face but she wordlessly took his hand, pulling him to a safe corner.

"Did something happen? You seem to be shaken," he asked again.

"Omkara ji," she mumbled and he urged her to continue.

"The marriage won't happen,' she said and he frowned.

"Why?"

"Because I... I ..."

"Complete it Gauri."

"I helped the bride run away," she dropped the bomb.

"What?" he screamed widening his eyes and she shushed him looking around.

"What did you say?" he whisper yelled and she looked down guiltily.

"I had to Omkara ji because she was not happy."

"But she could have told her family earlier. And for God's sake, why did you get involved in all this?" he scolded her.

"She said she will die if she didn't marry her lover. I had to help her. She.... she reminded me of myself," she looked at him anxiously and he knew what she was referring to.

He closed his eyes and sighed.

"This is a village Gauri. You know how orthodox these people are. If they came to know that you..."

"Gauri!" Taadaka's voice made him stop and the couple looked at the bunch of elders walking towards them.

"Taadaka, it is her. I saw her helping Shalini out of the house," one of them complained.

"Gauri madam, is that true?" Kamlesh asked with worry.

When she remained silent, Taadaka asked calmly, "Gauri, is that true?"

"I ... I am sorry daadi ji.. I ...."

"Sorry? Like seriously? What did you think you were doing?" Subhadra screamed and Omkara hid Gauri behind him.

"The girl is not happy with the marriage," he said and they scoffed.

Kamlesh started to cry in panic while Shyamala joined him thinking of all the humiliation they will be facing that day.

"You shouldn't have done this Gauri," Taadaka said in disappointment.

"But she would have died if this marriage happened daadi ji."

"Now they will die with embarrassment. Is that okay for you?" the others screamed pointing at the parents.

"You shouldn't have done this madam ji" Shyamala mumbled and Omkara helplessly looked at a distressed Gauri.

"I don't think I will be able to show my face to anyone. It is better I die" Kamlesh said weakly.

"Why will you die? It is her fault."

That started another round of accusations directed at Gauri.

"No one is going to die today" Taadaka ordered putting a stop to the growing disagreement.

"You should have at least told me once. This is not the way," she scolded her.

"I tried but she said she has to hurry," she answered.

Taadaka sighed and ordered in a dangerously calm tone, "Now that you have created a mess, you have to do as I tell you. Will you do that at least?"

Gauri nodded her head and asked, "What is it Daadi ji?"

"Get dressed. You are getting married," she said and the couple looked at her stunned.

*************************************************************************************

I know this is illogical and wrong that I spent the whole day today banging my head to see if I should really write it. But this thought somehow struck me and I thought I will explore it.

Sorry if I hurt anybody's feelings here.

Let us see what is in store for them...

Comment and vote.

Until next update, signing off your Soujanya...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.8K 3.6K 31
A RIKARA story where Omkara and Gauri find each other again in a small hilly town of Shantinagar( fictional name made by me, sorry for any coincidenc...
25K 3K 24
he save her life every time.... her parents appointed him her bodyguard... but... can he actually come to save her or there is a secret behind this...
65.8K 5.4K 49
Just two souls, with interwoven destinies.
32.5K 1.7K 12
it's my frustration on the Vanwass track..( Rikara centric) Home is where the heart is goes the age old saying. But what happens when you bait everyt...