One Affection

By NiallSquared

Caroline and her friends, Elaine, Ava, and Isabelle, were trying to make it through their senior year of high... More

Overview
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 23

57 0 1
By NiallSquared

Chapter 23

(4 pm. Same day. Ireland Time. Zayn's Thoughts.)

I walked downstairs from the loft. That was an interesting call. I never expected it again. This was different. I was scratching my neck when I got to the kitchen. I must've had a strange look on my face when I entered because Danielle came to my side quickly.

"What just happened there?" She asked.

I wasn't even quite sure yet. I was little uneasy and confused still.

"Josh just called me." I said with a faraway look in my eyes.

"What?" everyone asked.

Louis and Harry looked especially confused. Natalie didn't know who Josh was, and Eleanor didn't know enough of the circumstances with him. But Perrie and Dani knew. And Louis and Harry obviously knew.

"It's about the rest of them. He's done." I said.

"What do you mean done?" Harry asked intrigued.

"Isabelle. She cheated on him. Like multiple times." I said.

"I can't believe it. Harry, remember how much she wanted him to be hers on the party night? I don't believe she went for anyone else." Louis said.

"She's sleeping around." I said.

"Being a whore." Danielle added.

"Josh told me practically everything." I said.

"Well you were on the phone with him for three hours." Harry said.

"It was that long?" I asked scratching my neck.

"Yes." They all answered.

"I have to go home. For him." I said.

They all exchanged looks.

"Why would you do that for him after all of the things he, Jack, and Preston did?" Harry asked me.

"He's always been a friend. Even if we hated each other at some points." I began. "I've known him for a long time, and don't get me wrong, he hurt me and I am ten times better off with you guys, and I want to keep hanging out you guys, but can we give Josh a chance?"

"We used to be chaps with you guys a little too. And I know Josh had his heart broken by Elaine. But I'm not letting him off that easily." Louis said.

He grabbed for Eleanor's hand and she came closer. Danielle was hanging around Natalie. And Harry was looking for his phone in the couch. The air seemed to be tense. Perrie came over to me a wrapped her arms around my waist to try and calm me.

"I understand. But now I have to be there for him." I said.

"Well you can't travel home alone, I'm coming with you." Perrie said.

"I'll probably hitch a ride since there isn't gonna be enough room in the car when Liam, Niall, and Care come back." Harry said.

"Oh right, Danielle will you stay here and wait out for Liam?" I asked.

"Probably. Are you guys leaving today?" D asked.

"Likely." I answered.

"I can stay here with you D, I'm not moving until the end of break. And El is supposed to stay with me until then so we can both be here with you." Natalie said.

"Wait a second, what am I supposed to do?" Louis asked.

"Sweetie, go home, spend some time with your sisters. I'll be home at the end of the week." El said.

"But-" Lou began.

"No. You are going home." She interrupted him.

"Fine. When are we leaving?" He asked me.

"Can we be all packed up and ready to got in a couple of hours?" I asked them.

"Oh we can be done before that." Harry said.

Perrie and I packed up in the loft with Harry while Natalie helped him out. Eleanor was downstairs helping Louis get all of his things together while Danielle was emailing Caroline telling the three overseas the plan.  Danielle would drive out to the airport to pick up Liam, Care, and Niall when they flew in. We packed in record time and all met in the kitchen.

"It's a long drive home. Do we even have the ferry hours?" I asked.

"Yeah I looked them up and got you tickets already." Danielle said handing them to me.

"Thank you." I said hugging her.

Danielle had become one of my closest friends. I don't know how that happened but she helped me with everything and I could tell her everything. I released her from the hug and kissed her on the cheek.

"You're the best." I said with a smile.

"You guys better get going. You don't want to drive in the dark for too long." Eleanor said.

"We'll get in around 1 in the morning." Louis said.

"Yeah let's go." Harry said.

The girls helped us bring our things out to the car. Perrie hugged the girls goodbye and took the front seat. Louis kissed Eleanor.

"Hey I'll see you soon." El said.

"I know. It's just... we just started our relationship. I don't want to spend anytime away from you." Lou said.

"That was so corny. Get in the car Lou." Harry teased.

"He's right." El laughed.

Louis kissed her again and got in the backseat. Harry took Natalie's hand.

"We'll pick things up where we left off when I see you again." Harry said.

"As friends." Nat said.

Harry's face fell a little. Not too noticeable unless you were really looking so Nat didn't notice.

"Right as friends." Harry said quietly.

He hugged her and kissed her cheek then took the seat next to Lou.

"Thanks girls." I said giving each Danielle, Eleanor, and Natalie hugs and kisses on the cheeks.

"Help Josh out a little." Dani said.

"I will." I said taking her hand.

I kissed it quick then got into the driver's seat.

"Alright guys. Let's get going." I said to everyone in the car.

"Let's go help Josh." Louis said.

A phone rang. It was Harry's.

"Hey Ana. What's up?" He said to the phone.

Why on earth was Caroline's little sister calling Harry?

"Hey, hey settle down. Stop crying what's wrong?" He asked Ana.

All you could hear were tears on the other line.

________________________________________________________

(Noon. Same day. NYC time. Caroline's Thoughts.)

"Hey why don't you show your dad the painting?" Liam asked me.

"Oh yeah good idea." I said.

We were all sitting in the main room of the suite getting ready to go out for lunch and shop around a little.

"What's the painting of dear?" My Pop asked.

"You'll see." I answered.

I went into my room and decided to grab the entire portfolio. I was really proud of the works I had done. So far I had the one of my mum and pop done and the one of Zayn and the dogs, the group shot of us five girls, Liam and D doing snow angels, me Mum and Ana, and the one of Ana and I, and all ten of us in a snowball fight. I didn't know which one to show Pop first, I don't even remember if I had shown the boys. I walked out to the room again.

"This one I've been working hard at." I said handing the portrait of him and my Mum.

"It's beautiful. Wow. You have some serious skill. Where did it all come from?" He said then put the painting off to the side.

I had expected him to look at it a little longer than that. It's his wife for God's sake. He hasn't seen her for almost a year now. Maybe he just missed her. And couldn't bare to think of how long they were apart for. Yes. That's it. I gave him the ones of Ana and I and Mum.

"Ah Ana how is that dear?" He asked me.

"She's been good. Has a boyfriend of her own actually." I said.

"And your mother?" He asked.

"Quiet." I answered.

He was acting very different from how he normally did.

"Edward, this one is Zayn. Remember him? Your neighbour?" Liam handed him the painting trying to change the conversation.

"Oh boy. Malik right? Haven't seen him in ages. What has he been up to? And are those the dogs?" My Pop asked.

"One of our closest pals now." Niall said.

"Yeah Pop, that's Dex and Hypotenuse. Miss them?" I asked.

"Dearly. Anyone else you have to show me?" He asked.

Liam handed him the one of Danielle and himself.

"Miss Peazer right?" He asked.

Liam nodded than handed the one of the group of us girls.

"These are new faces. What happened to Elaine? And Ava and Isabelle?" Pop asked.

"Well we had a falling out." I said. "This is Natalie, then there's me, then Danielle, then Perrie, the Eleanor." I said pointing to each.

"Nice girls?" He asked.

"Better then my old friends." I answered him.

I put the paintings that were laying out in my portfolio then grabbed the big group shot.

"Well all that's new here are Louis and Harry in the picture." I said.

"How are those lads?" My Pop asked Liam.

"They're good." He answered.

"Well, why don't we grab a bite to eat? There is a nice little Italian restaurant/bakery then I'll let you guys explore the city while I am in a meeting and we'll meet at the place my company dinner is at tonight at 8?" He asked.

"Sounds nice Pop." I said.

"Then go get cleaned up a little. We'll leave in an hour. I have to run a quick errand so when I come back we'll leave." He said.

He came over and kissed the top of my head then went out the door.

"Well, I have to shower." I said and got up.

"Would probably be a good idea if we have to dress up tonight." Niall said.

"Oh right we have company dinner don't we?" Liam asked.

"His team is really sweet, you might actually like them." I suggested.

"Alright I'll take our shower, Liam take my Pop's, and Niall, you wait around." I said.

I walked off into mine and the boy's room and started to get my things together. I heard Niall come in.

"I have a better idea." He said.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Why don't instead of me waiting around I just jo--" he began.

"Get out of here Horan." I cut him off jokingly. "Maybe some other time. When we're alone. Not now."

"Fine fine. But hurry up, I don't want to be late for lunch. But I'd prefer sharing a bath." He said with a cheeky smile and wink.

I threw a towel at him and went into the bathroom. The water was hot and nice on my skin considering the cold weather of New York. But London isn't much different. In fact, it may actually be warmer here. We all took quick showers and got dressed for our little adventure through the city.

"Hey you look nice for a change." Liam teased.

He was right. I did. While we were at the cottage they either saw me in pyjamas, yoga pants and over sized sweatshirts, or the clothes I stole from Niall. I had on a pair of dark wash skinny jeans, my duck shoes with the faux fur lined insides to keep my feet warm, tan wool sweater, dark green vest, dark brown circle scarf, and my across the body satchel. I actually did look good.

"Thanks Liam. Not looking too shabby yourself." I smiled.

He had on a simple navy blue Polo half zip and khakis with his signature white converse. And then his grey peacoat to top it off. The Niall walked out in practically the same outfit. But with red converse and a grey half zip and navy peacoat.

"Change. Now." Liam said to Niall with a laugh.

"Hey, I just wanted to look nice for my girlfriend's father and then I have a twin? I'm not changing." He said back laughing.

"It's rather cute boys." I said.

Niall handed me my camel colored jacket to go along with the brown color scheme I had going on. And a dark green beanie. I think it was Harry's but oh well, I stole those all the time. It went along nicely. He kissed the side of my head.

"Thank you." I said.

"Thanks for making us feel like twins." He said back.

I rolled my eyes at him. My dad came through the door and we were off.

"Now Care, I know you don't like pizza, at all, but you haven't had pizza from NYC. It's nothing like the kind back home!" My Pop raved.

"Where are we going then?" I asked him.

"Well one of my American chaps showed me this little place and everything is delicious. It's mostly Italian food, so I hope you like that boys." He explained.

"I love pizza." Niall said.

"Niall, you'll eat anything that doesn't eat you first." Liam said laughing.

"Except Vegemite. That stuff is god damn awful." Ni said.

My Pop smirked at that. I looked up at him and saw how much he had truly changed since I'd seen him last. He was going a grey. His dark dark  brown hair had grey hairs scattered all through it. He has a little scruff instead of his normally cleanly shaven beard. His eyes, looked duller, tired. Not so much of a vibrant green like mine anymore. But his smile was still the same. And that's the one thing I'd never forget about my father.

"Here we are." He said opening the door for us.

"Thank you." Liam said as we walked in.

It was a little Italian place but was beautiful. My father went right ahead and ordered everything for us. He had obviously been here countless times before because the waitresses knew him by name.

"Now Niall, where are you looking into colleges?" My Pop asked.

"Well, I really love music, I'm pretty handy with the guitar and a few other instruments and I really want to go into something musical. But have no clue where yet. Somewhere in London or Ireland. I like home." He answered.

"Guitar? How long have you been playing for?" My father asked him.

"Since I was very young. It just came easy to me." Niall answered.

"I used to play in my day." My Pop said.

"Really? I'd love to hear those stories." I joined in.

By the time our food came out we were still listening to the stories of my father and his 'band' from his teenage years.

"I went to college for performance major at a college in England but at the end of my first semester I transferred to Harvard Law and went from there." He continued after we were done eating.

"Why did you change over from music to law?" Niall asked.

My dad looked around uneasily. His eyes shifted to the waitress and he motioned for the check.

"That's a whole new story." He said.

And the conversation was over with. What was he hiding? He had been acting different for the entire trip. Why was he doing this?

"Alright. You guys go wander the city for awhile. Remember dinner at 8 at this address. It's formal. So look nice." He said then got up and paid the bill. "Oh here's a map of the city plus subway times and routes. Good luck."

Then my Pop walked out of the restaurant. I opened the map on our table.

"Where do you want to go?" I asked.

"Hey, I've always wanted to go I've skating a Rockefeller Plaza. I never thought I'd have the chance to until now." Niall said.

"Then let's go." Liam said.

We walked out of the restaurant and chased down a taxi. We smushed into the little backseat with me in the middle of course and gave the man the directions. We arrived and paid him then went to rent some skates.

"Hey I'm not wearing figure skates, why'd you get me these? I've never skated on them in my life!" I said.

Liam and Niall were lacing up their hockey skates giving me looks.

"Are you serious? You're that girl who refused to wear figure skates as a kid and got hockey ones instead?" Niall asked.

"I was never the girly girl type." I said then went to exchange mine.

I heard Niall and Liam talking about me when I was walking away. When I finally got the right pair I laced them up quickly and got onto the ice with my two favourite guys. Niall took my hand in his.

"I've always wanted to do this." He said.

"Oh I'm just going to he the awkward third wheel right now aren't I?" Liam asked.

I grabbed for Liam's hand to include him too.

"Now we can be the strange group of foreign kids who everyone assumes we are a threesome. Better?" Niall asked.

"Much." Liam said giving my hand a squeeze.

We skated for about a half hour because we still had so many other places to visit today. The next place we went was Times Square. It was hectic. I didn't know a place could be so packed.

"Did you realise how beautiful everything is decorated for Christmas?" Liam asked.

"The tree at Rockefeller Plaza was beautiful! And giant!" I added.

"It's too bad we missed their Thanksgiving by a week." Niall said.

"You always have food on the mind." I teased.

"Not always." He stated.

We continued trekking through NYC. It was huge. I couldn't get over how large the whole place was together. We walked for a long while, took a few cabs, and a subway which was an experience of its own. And we ended up the place Liam and Niall really wanted to see.

"Look at it. It's huge." Niall stated.

"Madison Square Garden. I can't believe we're here." Liam said.

We walked around the entire building. The boys were truly mesmerised by it.

"Imagine standing on that stage inside, and selling out a concert of your own. That would be insane." Niall said.

"A man can only dream." Liam said.

"Bieber played here. Sold it out in a few minutes." Niall said.

"Oh I know. My little sister is obsessed with him remember?" I said.

"Can you imagine it Care? Being in MSG playing the concert of a lifetime?" Niall asked me.

"It would be the chance that anyone would be crazy to pass up." Liam added.

"Why don't you guys hop into the music business then? Goodness." I said.

The boys started walking with me again.

"Wait Caroline, do you have a dress to wear for dinner tonight?" Liam asked me.

"No. Oh shit. Did you guys bring your suit coats or blazers?" I asked.

"Damn it." Liam said.

"We have to go shopping?" Niall asked.

"Yup." I answered.

We caught another cab into the area the hotel was near. There was a strip of boutiques and shops not far from there.

"Hey let's look here." Liam said.

We walked into a menswear place. And went to the suit coats.

"You have a button down? I actually remembered one." Niall said.

"Yeah white Polo." Liam answered.

"Same." Niall said. "Let's try not to match tonight."

Liam laughed. "Alright well I was going to get black since I don't have a black suit coat I like."

"I'll get grey. Might as well. Have some slacks?" He asked.

"Niall, the better question is if you remembered slacks." Liam said.

The boys tried on the coats and the tailor came over to fit them.

"You boys look adorable." I teased.

"Oh just wait until you have to try on dresses." Liam said back.

"Shut up." I sneered at him.

Niall started laughing at me. The tailor accidentally pricked him and he yelped quickly. Liam and I started laughing then. The tailor finished up with them and we went to check out.

"Thank you!" We said to the workers then left the building.

"You guys are going to look so handsome." I said.

"And when we find a dress for you, you are going to look gorgeous." Niall said.

He grabbed me hand and I started blushing. Liam and him of course started making fun of me, it's just what the did. We found a little boutique that had simple dresses in the window. It looked like just what I needed.

"Alright Care, your turn for the fun." Liam said to me.

"What can I help you all with?" One of the employees asked.

"Cocktail dresses." I answered.

"Right back there. Take your time." She answered me.

Liam took my hand and pretty much dragged me in the direction she told us to go. Niall was back there already somehow picking up dresses and putting them in the dressing room.

"Niall you realize there are sizes. Not all the same." I said.

"I know. I saw in your closest before. Size 4 in the United States for length. Taken in at the top." He said continuing.

"You knew that?" I asked.

"I know more about you then you think I do Holden." He said then gave me a kiss on the cheek. 

"I'm not worried that your actually a stalker at all." I joked.

"Get in the dressing room." He said shoving me.

There had to be at least ten dresses in here. And they were all quite beautiful. I guess the boys had better taste then I thought they did. Most were navy blue, another emerald green, and a couple more black dresses. I picked up the one I thought I would like the most. It was one of the navy blue ones. It was strapless and had draping in the front. In retrospect it should've been perfect, but it wasn't. I looked in the mirror and hated it.

"Hey do you have one on?" Liam called.

"Yes. It's horrible." I answered.

Niall came and opened the door.

"Just not your style babe." He said. "Try on that one."

I shut the door and heard the boys talking  about something. I fumbled with the zipper of the first dress then slipped it off. He pointed at a blue-grey coloured dress. It was one shouldered and on the side with the strap which went slightly off my shoulder there was beautiful  beading. It trickled out into the bodice of the dress into the skirt which hit just above me knee. The back of it was amazing too. The shoulder of the dress acted like a band that went all the way around my body keeping it all tight. There were still sides in it but the back of it was not there. Completely cut out. It was beautiful.

"Do you have a dress on Care? Come on!" Niall said.

I stepped out of the room.

"That's the one I picked out." Liam said.

"Just the right amount of sexy while still being classy. Gorgeous." Niall said.

"So I don't have to try on anymore right? I love this one." I said.

"Let's get going then." Liam said.

He unzipped the side of my dress for me then told me to get changed. I handed them the dress and my wallet so they could check out while got changed. That was actually pretty painless. I was happy about it. I got dressed and walked out of the room. The boys had the bag in hand and had theirs with the suit jackets and we were off back to the hotel.

"We have about 45 minutes until we have to go so get ready." Liam said.

Liam decided he would dress in my Pop's room and Niall and I would get dressed in our room.

"Did I bring my black heels?" I asked Niall.

"Yeah remember? You put them in my bag. Along with the clutch and black tights." He teased.

"I didn't put those in there." I said.

"Danielle." We said at the same time.

I started taking off today's outfit and got my other things together. I took the price tag off the dress and slipped it in over my head.

"Let me help you with the zipper." Niall said while buttoning his shirt.

He zipped me up then kissed my neck from behind on the side with my exposed shoulder. I still got the damn butterflies. I would never be used to his kisses. I put on my tights and heels and put everything the both of us would need in my clutch. Niall was lacing up his shoes and I grabbed our coats. I walked out to join Liam in the other room while he finished up.

"Looking beautiful as always." He said taking me hand.

Liam kissed my forehead. He hadn't done that in ages and boy did I miss them. I tied his tie for him since it was undone. Niall walked out into the main room.

"Can I get some help Caroline?" He asked me.

In his hand was a bowtie. I gave him a little look.

"Harry loaned it to me. He said the bowtie always makes a great impression." He explained.

"And emphasises how adorable you look even more." I said kissing him. "You're lucky I know how to tie one."

I put it around his neck and tied it up. It was the three coloured one I saw Harry wear to formal last year.

"You look fantastic." I said making him blush.

"Not too bad yourself." His said putting his hand on my exposed back.

"Alright let's get a quick picture for the guys back home." Liam said.

He put his phone on a self timer and we posed for it.

"Now we have to go." I said pulling up the address we had to go to on my iPhone.

We all put out coats on and walked down to the lobby.

"It's going to be impossible to catch a cab at this time." Niall said.

"I know let's hope for the best." Liam said.

We walked out into the cold crisp air and damn did we look good.

"Excuse me. Are you Mr. Payne?" The doorman asked him.

"Yes sir." He answered. 

"You three have a car waiting for you right there." He said motioning to it.

"Thank you sir." Liam said.

"Pop sent for a car." I said.

"Thank the lord." Niall said.

We climbed into the car and the driver already knew where we were going. It was actually quite nice of my father to send for a car. Much appreciated. When we arrived at our destination the driver pulled up in front of the restaurant and helped us out of the car.

"Ready?" Niall asked taking me hand.

"Ready." I answered taking Liam's hand.

"Let's get in there and meet his team." Liam said.

We walked into the place and the hostess directed us to the table. My Pop saw us and waved.

"There she is, my beautiful daughter." He said greeting us. "You all remember Caroline don't you?"

"Dear you've gotten so tall! The last time I saw you was when you were 13!" The woman I recognised as Nancy said.

Nancy was my father's top secretary at the office. I guess she tagged along on this long trip.

"And these nice young men here are Mr. Liam Payne, and Mr. Niall Horan." My dad introduced them.

The boys went to shake a few hands and my Pop came to grab mine.

"Recognise everyone?" He asked.

"All except the Americans." I joked.

"Here you three are going to sit towards the middle near John, who you don't know, and Nancy, who you definitely know." He said directing me to my seat.

Niall came over and pulled out my chair for me then took one next to me and Liam went on the other side.

"How have you been Liam?" Nancy asked. "I don't think I've seen you since you were about 8! You two would come over to the office and pay all the time. Boy you must be at least 17 now."

"18 actually. I've been good. I'm surprised you remember me to be quite honest." Liam answered her.

"You haven't changed to much looks wise. Just 10 years older then I remember." She said. "And it's nice to meet you Niall."

"Nice to meet you too." Niall said politely.

"Now how cone I've never met this one before Care? You seem very nice. I'm pretty much number one on Caroline's father's team." She said.

"Actually he moved here in the beginning of the school year. Beginning of August." I explained.

"And you two are close friends?" She asked.

Nancy has always been nosy like this. I remember Liam and I running through the law firm trying to stay away from her because we really didn't care for her all that much. She just liked to butt into other people's lives.

"Actually she's my girlfriend." Niall said.

"How sweet." Nancy said.

I think he managed to shut her up finally.

"So why are we having this big dinner?" I asked John the new man who was sitting across from me.

"Your his daughter?" He asked me.

"Yes, Caroline Holden nice to meet you sir." I shook his hand.

"Niall Horan." Niall said shaking his hand.

"And Liam Payne." He shook his hand.

"John Playford. Nice to meet you all." He said in his rough American accent. "I'm actually not completely sure. He said he has an announcement and plus it's out last day off before the big case. And I'm thinking that's what it's about."

"Oh alright. So it's a work party really?" I asked.

"Pretty much." John answered in his hoarse voice. "My daughter is going to be here soon. She's about your age so I'll introduce you." He added.

"What's her name?" Liam asked.

"Tyler." He said.

"Tyler?" Nancy asked butting her way back into the conversation.

"Yes a girl named Tyler. Her mother loved it. Tyler Alyssa Playford." He said ending the conversation somehow.

My dad stood up again. He walked out front to take a phone call. The entire room was filled with people, not just for the work party. It was normal dining hours. On a Thursday night, but still, it was dinner time. And it was pretty loud in here. I didn't even know what kind of restaurant we were in until I saw a bunch of Greek words on the menu. I looked through the menu and we told the waitress out orders as she came around.

"There she comes." John said out of the blue.

He stood up to greet someone who I am guessing is his daughter Tyler.

"This is my daughter everyone." He announced to the group.

Many of the people applauded her when she was introduced. John pulled out her seat for her and she sat down.

"I'm Caroline Holden. Edward's daughter. It's nice to meet you." I said offering my hand.

"Oh your dad is my dad's business partner! I didn't know he had a daughter. Nice you meet you. I'm Tyler." She said.

"And I'm Liam Payne." He said shaking her hand.

"My best friend since primary school." I added for him.

"Nice to meet you Liam." Tyler responded.

"And I'm Niall. Niall Horan. Caroline's boyfriend." He said.

"Wow I love all of your accents." She shook Niall's hand and laughed. "You must be Irish."

"Yeah I am." Niall laughed.

"And you know, I normally don't like girl British accents but I like yours. It isn't high pitched and annoying like some girls I've known. It's lower, more mature." Tyler said to me.

I didn't know whether or not to take that as a compliment so I did anyway.

"Thanks." I said laughing.

"A lower voice is also sexier." Niall whispered in my ear with his hand on my thigh.

I felt myself blush then slapped him away. He grinned cheekily and winked at me.

"So Tyler, where did you come from for this dinner?" Liam asked her.

"My family lives in Connecticut so I just took a train in for this. My dad travels quite a bit but I can't imagine being overseas from him. That must be so difficult." She said compassionately.

"It is. But we talk every so often. This is actually the first time I've seen him face to face in a couple of years. It's nice." I said.

"And you live?" She asked.

"We're all in London now." Liam said. "I used to be in Wolverhampton, same with Caroline, but we moved into the city. And Niall here used to live in Mullingar Ireland until early August of this past year."

"Must be beautiful over there." She said.

"I do really love London." I said.

"It's big. But nice." Niall added.

I saw my Pop walk back in from his phone call. It lasted about 20 minutes. I wonder who he was talking to. He looked a little distressed from the call. Then I saw him receive a text and he smiled a little. Something peculiar was happening and I did not know what. He stood at the head of the table.

"John, why don't you come up here. We have an announcement to make for the company." He said.

I caught John's arm, "I thought you said you didn't know anything about this." I said.

"I lied." He answered with a smile.

I broke a smile along with Tyler, Niall, and Liam.

"Over the past couple of years, as you all know the two of us have teamed up to give lectures all across the continent of North America." John began.

"And after much consideration, we have decided to extend the tour another few years and also have picked up a few huge cases." My Pop said.

My mouth dropped open. Not seeing him for another three years minimum? What were my family and I supposed to do?

"And to top it off, we are opening a law firm in Brooklyn." John said.

The crowd erupted into applause. Most of them were lawyers who would be working for Tyler and I's fathers so it was a huge opportunity for them. I saw her face sink a little bit too but not as much as mine. Our fathers sat back down but at the head of the table next to each other. Dinner was served and the four of us sat in silence for the most part. A few words back and forth. We had about and hour of downtime before dessert so me, Niall, Liam, an Tyler decided to go on a walk through the museum upstairs.

"So why did everyone applaud you when you walked in?" Niall asked bluntly.

Liam and I shot him a look.

"Oh don't worry about it guys. I get asked that a lot. I'm on the Junior Olympic Soccer team and we won out last game. It's not that big of a deal." She said.

"That's fantastic. I wish that we had a one of those football teams back home. Caroline could play on it." Liam said.

"Are you any good at soccer?" She asked me.

"I think I'm going to play in college." I said.

"I don't really want to go to the Olympics for soccer when I'm older. I plan on going to college somewhere around here and being a PT major." She said.

"Physical therapy?" Niall asked. "Isn't that quite a few years in college?"

"6. But there are some good programs around here. What are you guys thinking of?" She asked.

"Well, I'm going into something with art, math or science. Just don't know what yet." I said.

"Do you want to teach?" Tyler asked.

"Hell no." I laughed. "I don't have enough patience to do that."

We all laughed a little at that.

"What are you guys thinking about?" She asked the boys.

"Music." Niall said. "I'm handy with the guitar."

"You don't have a bad voice either. Actually it's fantastic." I added for him.

You could see him start to blush a little.

"What about you Liam?" She asked.

"I really do like music. But I don't know what I would do with it. I think it would be a minor. I would love to be a columnist and I've been told I'm a great writer." He answered.

We continued in through. I was looking at the paintings but didn't really recognise any.

"I forgot to say, I love your dress Caroline. I love backless ones." Tyler said.

"Thanks." I said. "I love the colour of yours too."

It was a deep red orange. I've never met anyone that could pull it off. Everyone was just too pale to wear one.

"Thank you." She said.

"Hey what museum is Starry Night in?" I asked quick.

Van Gogh was my favourite artist by far. I loved his use of colour and theme. Everything was just beautiful.

"MoMA." She said.

The boys gave her inquisitive looks.

"Museum of Modern Art." Tyler laughed. "I actually have a few free passes because its expensive otherwise if you want to see it before you leave."

"Absolutely." I said.

"They're in my bag at the table. I'll make sure to give them to you. We should probably be heading back now." She said.

"Oh you're right. There's only a 15 minutes until dessert." Niall stated. "And I love dessert."

We laughed at him. And walked back to the main hall where we were eating. Everyone was up dancing on the dance floor in the corner. It was just like the restaurant back in Ireland.

"Come on. Let's try again." Niall said taking my hand.

"Care to dance?" Liam asked Tyler.

"How could I say no to an accent like yours?" She laughed.

Us four made our way over to the floor and joined right in. One of Niall's hands on my hip the other with mine in it and my free one on his shoulder. Tyler and Liam the same way. We were having a bloody good time. We danced for the rest of the 15 minutes. Then made our way back to our seats. Tyler handed each of us our passes to MoMA before she forgot.

"So Liam, tell me about your girlfriend. You definitely have to have one. With your charm and good looks." Tyler said.

Liam started blushing. He heard this from girls quite often but never got used to it. Just like I could never get used to anyone giving me compliments. I just blushed constantly.

"Her name is Danielle. She's a really sweet girl, I guess that's all I can say because you haven't met her before." Liam laughed. "What about you Tyler? You seem like a sweet girl, what's his name?"

"His name is Oliver actually. He's really nice, tall, brown hair and eyes, typical American boy." She said.

Dessert was placed in front of us. We continued on with small talk. I looked over to my father who seemed to be having a nice time. If only he knew he was killing my family by not being home with us.

"You're missing your father. Aren't you?" Niall asked.

"How could you tell?" I asked.

"Your crying." He said wiping away my tears.

"Am I?" I asked.

"Are you ok? Do you really not want him to stay for another three years? Missing him that much?" He asked.

"I didn't realise how much I missed him until we actually came here. You and Liam and the rest of the boys are acting like fathers to Ana, you know how she looks up to all of you, what would she do, or I do without you guys in my life? Acting like the Pop she barely had in her childhood, and the one I need now when I'm making huge decisions."

"Honey, you know that we will always be here for you even if he won't be for a few more years. We all promise it. Plus this year may be your last one home, so you might not even see him as much as you'd want to even after this time."

"I know Ni, it's just hard." I said through little tears.

He took my hands in his then kissed me softly.

"You're going to be okay." He smiled. "I promise. I will always be by your side. No matter what happens or where life takes you. You can count on me."

I kissed him quickly again. I turned to look at my father.  He was greeting a woman I haven't seen before. She just showed up. He had the biggest smile on his face right now, one I don't know if I even saw when he was with my mother. He gave her a hug and a lingering kiss, on the lips and looked at her with twinkling eyes. He didn't look like the old man I saw beforehand. He looked, full of life, young.  I was suspicious.

"I don't know if you all remember but this is Diane." My Pop introduced her.

What the hell was he doing?

"We have an announcement for all of you tonight." He  began.

Really what was happening.

"We're getting married. He proposed!" She said cheerfully.

My mouth fell open. What the hell was happening. This had t be a dream. My parents were so in love. I had the pictures on my SLR to prove it. The memories to prove it. My god damned painting to prove it. I stood up and felt the tears pouring down my face.

________________________________________________________

(Same Time. Niall's Thoughts.)

What the fuck just happened. I honestly cannot tell you anything that had just happened. Liam gave me a look of wide eyed shock. I grabbed for Caroline's hand. She took it briefly, squeezed it, then turned toward her father.

"Pop." She said between some sobs.

"Dear, I thought your Mum told you we filed for divorce, six months ago, and it was finalized." Edward tried to explain.

"No. She didn't. You could at least be decent. To hell with you Edward. How could you." Caroline said then grabbed her bag and coat and ran out the door.

I looked to Liam. Then her father. He was shaking his head. I saw a few tears.

"I didn't mean it Care! I didn't mean to cheat on your mother!" He yelled after her.

I looked back to Liam. He was shocked beyond disbelief. I only knew this man s few days, and Liam knew him his whole life. Liam had tears going down his cheeks. I looked to Tyler. She was shaking her head. Disappointed.

"What are you doing Niall? Go after her she needs you!" Liam said.

"No Liam. She needs you." I yelled at him.

He knew I was right. This is one matter only her best friend could solve. I was a different kind of best friend to her. She needed her oldest one. Liam got up and left.

"How do you know where she's going?" Tyler asked me.

"She takes comfort in art. We'll find her on the steps of MoMA." I said.

"Good luck." She said.

I stood up and hugged her over the table.

"It was a pleasure meeting you. From all of us." I said.

I left all of our numbers, addresses,  and twitter names with her so she could keep in touch.

"Thank you." I said again before running after my friends.

________________________________________________________

(Same Time. Liam's Thoughts.)

"Caroline! Caroline Anne Holden!" I was yelling through out the city.

The snow turned into rain. Pouring rain. I had to run blocks before I found the museum. And there she was. Sitting on the steps. I went to grab her to get her out of the rain. I threw my coat around her and pulled her under the entrance to the place she where it was a little more dry.

"Caroline it's okay. I'm so sorry. But it's okay. Keep crying." I tried consoling my best friend.

"How could he not tell me? Us? Liam my Pop was my hero. But he cheated only mother. I can't believe him. Why? Why?" She sobbed.

I was whispering for her to calm down in her ear. I was clutching her in my arms. I couldn't do anything for her right now. I just wanted to help, but I couldn't. There wasn't a thing I could do. Niall rounded the corner and he was  soaked through just like me. He got on the other side of Caroline and held her along with me. The worst thing is knowing I couldn't do a thing for her. We cradled her there while she cried for a least a half hour.

"Just take me home. Back to Mullingar, or Lomdon. Get me out of the states." She whimpered though crus.

I pulled her tightly.

"Let's get packed. I think we can switch out flight." I said.

We sat huddled for awhile longer then Niall called for a cab. We got back to the hotel and us two packed up everything while Caroline wrote a letter to her father and informed Danielle of the new plans.

"Hey Care?" I asked shyly.

"Yeah Liam?" She replied.

"What do you want to do with this?" I asked holding out the painting of her mother and father.

Niall walked out of the bedroom. Caroline took the painting out of my hands and threw it right into the fireplace. I walked over and out my arm around her waist and Niall put his over he shoulders.

"We watch it deteriorate just like their actual marriage." She said with a tear streaming down her face.

Niall and I cuddle her closer to show her we would be there with her no matter what. Then we hugged her tight when the tears came again.

End of Chapter 23.

Wow. I haven't posted in a long time. I hope you're still with me.

Well guess who got an iPad for Christmas! Me! So I'm ridiculously excited now. I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas and a great end of 2012. Happy 2013 everyone!

Drop me some suggestions!

CAHolden1D@gmail.com

@CAHolden1D on twitter

Or inbox me here

Follow me if you want!

Oh and if you haven't seen Les Mis yet, go see it!

Love you all

xx

CAH

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54.6K 539 30
Lindsay Warren was a normal teenage girl.... she had the perfect family: an older sister and two wonderful parents. she loved her life, but when her...
26.9K 508 38
Go on tour with the most famous boyband in the world? Check. Fall completely and madly in love with the members? Check. Lose them forever? Check. For...
58.1K 769 56
This is the story of a girl named Y/N and a boy named Harry Styles. They start off as best friends and are close. (But not as close as Harry and Loui...
629K 10.8K 69
Harry Styles is one of the students at Austin L High school , but he isn't like everyone else, he kind of runs the school, well he and his four mates...