Life Before The Heartbreak- T...

By 14gracie42206

As of 8/11/21 #3 in #buchanan Book 1 in 'The Winding Path' series. Melissa lives during the 40s, has a wonde... More

Welcome To Brooklyn
Settling In
Stepping Out Of My Comfort Zone
Girl's Night!
That's No Way To Treat A Lady
A Handsome Savior
A Favor
Beach Day, Baby- Part Two
Can Steve's Mischief Bring Two People Together?
Life Is A Back Stabber
I Will Avenge My Brothers
Secret Labs And Mad Scientists
Side Effects
Camp Lehigh Here I Come!
Familiar Faces And New Beginnings
Men, You Better Listen To Your Woman
Bucky Is In Deep Trouble
Steve Joined The Army! WTF!
Chorus Girl Defies Orders
That's When I Saw HIM
The Great Sadness Begins
Epilogue
A Message From The Author
Sneak Peek
Sequel Is Released!

Beach Day, Baby!

190 11 11
By 14gracie42206

Thanks for reading and sticking with me so far! This chapter will be much better than before. And by the way, this chapter is a continuation of last chapter. It is going to be a beach day!

~Grace

Melissa's pov

"Hey Melissa! Romeo said that he is closing up shop even thought it's only 10:30 A.M. His wife is having a baby! Isn't that exciting? Well, I was thinking that since his was closing that we should go to the beach. It is about 15 minutes away, and we still have almost the entire day!", Chloe said.

"What about our swimsuits? All of us are going to have to go home and get them! That could take at least an hour. And by the time we reach the beach, we would've missed when the sun was at its peak.", Gloria said, asking the question that was on every ones mind.

"Don't worry. We can purchase some when we get there! Along with the other supplies!", Chloe assured us.

"Ooh, I am so excited to get my tan on!", I exclaimed. I ran into the kitchen and practically ripped my apron off. I threw it carelessly threw onto it's hook. I grabbed my purse, and ran back into the dining area. "Guys, I'm going to ask Bucky and Steve if they want to come along, alright?".

Chloe snicked, "Of course! Your future soulmate Bucky and I'm guessing that Steve is his friend, may come along.". I rolled my eyes but thanked her anyways.

As I walked out the door I overheard Miranda, Tiffany, and Jayla say that they couldn't come. I just shrugged and ran across the street to where Bucky and Steve worked as stockers for the local farmers market.

"Hey Bucky! Steve! Wanna come to the beach with us?", I called out. Bucky and Steve's heads came up. Bucky smiled warmly and came around one of the stands that he was working at. "Yeah sure, sounds good.", Bucky said as he took his apron off and flung over the stand onto the ground.

Steve did the same and then came around the stand at which he was working at. He smiled and nodded. When I took full notice of Steve's body, I realized that he was very skinny and frail. I don't know why I didn't notice it before. Maybe I was too traumatized to pay much attention. It seemed like Steve had been a sickly boy all his life. 

I felt my heart swell when I realized that Bucky had chosen to be best friends with someone like Steve. Steve must be somethin special for a man like Bucky to be his best friend. And I don't mean that in a mean way. 

"There won't be enough room in Chloe's car, and you guys will have to get swimsuits, so we are going to go ahead and leave and we'll meet you there. Okay.", I said and then ran back down the street.

I ran back into the cafe and found that only Chloe and Gloria were there now. They were getting some last minute things done in the cafe and getting their purses.

"Gloria, have you seen my purse? I can't seem to find it anywhere!", I heard Chloe say from the bathroom.

"Check in the laundry room! And why are you always losing stuff anyways?", I said.

"Oh, I don't know! I just-", Chloe started to say but was cut off by Jayla who decided to join in the fun of teasing Chloe. "You just don't take care of anything that you own?", Jayla said in feigned harshness, with her hands on her hips.

Chloe stuck her head out of the laundry room and glared fiercely at Jayla. I'm not joking, if looks could kill, Jayla would be dead right now. Chloe said slowly, "No, I do take care of things, I just sometimes misplace things.".

"By sometimes you mean practically all the time, right?", I said amused.

"Oh my Lord, ya'll are impossible!", Chloe exclaimed as she turned on her heel and head towards the back counter. Jayla and I fell in a fit of giggles. "Oh how you talk Melissa! You're just as bad as me! YOU told me earlier today that your knight in shining armor Bucky found your purse stuck in between your couch's cushions!", Chloe retorted.

"Alright, alright you are right. But it still fun to tease you.", I laughed.

"But ya love us anyways, don't you?", Jayla asked innocently.

"You know I do. That's why I put up with you.", Chloe said, much calmer than she was a few seconds ago. "Oh, thank you Jesus. I've finally found it!", Chloe shouted.

"Okay, since we're all ready, shall we be off?", I said in with my chin up.

"Yes, I think we shall be off on this great adventure.", Chloe said mocking my choice of words. She looped her arms around both Jayla and I's arms and we happily skipped out the cafe. Chloe released our arms when we reached her car. She pulled out her keys and unlocked the vehicle. We all sat in the front seat, since it could fit 3 people. Chloe started her car and slowly drove out of the parking lot. She looked both ways before turning onto the street. We were on our way to a gorgeous beach day!

Bucky's pov

I was very surprised when Melissa invited us to go to the beach when we've only just met. But I was still thankful nonetheless. Steve and I told our boss that we were taking the rest of the day off and headed off to our apartment complex. Which was actually across the street from us.

Steve grabbed a bag, "Here.", he said as he threw it at me, "Catch.". I caught it easily and smirked. Steve smiled back though and went into his room to grab some swim trunks. I went into my room and grabbed some light blue swim trunks with black stripes on the sides. I grabbed a fitting white t-shirt.

Steve exited his room with some beach towels, sunscreen, his inhaler, sunglasses, his bright yellow swim trunks, and a matching yellow t-shirt.

"You're prepared.", I said, amused. Steve was very punctual, always prepared, except when it came to getting into fights in alleyways and defending someone. For what Steve lacked in almost everything physically, he more than made up for mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Steve had the biggest heart and you could always count on him if you needed him. 

That's why we're best friends, I don't think that if Steve wasn't who he was that I would've even be his friend, let alone his best friend. That is sad to say, but I am an honest man, so I will tell the raw truth. Even if I don't like it.

I walked over and put my stuff in the bag and then Steve did the same. We grabbed some snacks and a pack of ice cold cokes and put them in a small portable cooler. We put the snacks in a separate bag.

We double checked to make sure that you have anything, and then headed out the door. We probably were 30 minutes behind Melissa and friends. I wonder if one of her friends will take an interest in Steve. He needs someone who will love for who is. People always just look over Steve. It's like he is invisible. I really hope that someone soon will see Steve will love him for who he is.

I was dragged from my thoughts when Steve asked, "Are you going to get out of la la land long enough to get into the cab?".

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry, I was lost in my thoughts.", I apologized. 

"Yeah, I could tell.", Steve said sharply. I mockingly clutched my chest and groaned as if I had been hurt. Steve laughed and I laughed along with him.

Then I walked to the trunk and lifted it. I put our bags and cooler inside before slamming the door. Steve was already in the cab buckled up and ready to hit the road.

I climbed in and pulled out my wallet, handing the cab driver some bills. "Take us to Brighton Beach please.", I asked him. The driver nodded and cautiously pulled onto the road. 

"Steve?", I asked.

"Hm?", Steve replied.

"You need a tan.", I stated.

"You think so?", Steve asked uncertainly.

"Yes, I do. And that means taking off your shirt when we get there. I know that you maybe be skinny, but that is no reason to not tan. Trust me, if anyone says a word about the way you look any a negative manner I will not hesitate to get them in check.", I said seriously.

"Thanks Bucky. You always know what to say to make me feel better.", Steve said appreciatively. 'And can you please try not to flirt with any pretty dames while we are at the beach?", Steve said sardonically, knowing that would be practically impossible for Bucky to do.

"I promise that I will try, but that won't likely happen.", Bucky said with a wide grin.

Steve rolled his eyes, "I figured as much.".

Bucky slapped Steve's back playfully and laughed.

15 minutes later...

Bucky's pov still

"Alright, here's your stop. Enjoy your beach day. It is a gorgeous day, so get plenty of sun!", the cab driver said as he pulled right in front of the beach. He put the vehicle in park and looked back with a smile.

"Thank you sir. We will.", Steve and I said together. We grinned at each other and exited the cab. While Steve searched the beach for any sign of Melissa and her gaggle of 'girlfriends'; I walked to the back of the cab as the driver waited patiently as I opened the trunk and took everything out. I slammed the trunk and slapped me hand twice on the back of the cab before backing away. The driver took the signal and slowly pulled away.

I walked to where Steve was standing and scanned the area. The beach was deserted, much to my gratitude, but all I saw was a huge white house.

"Maybe they aren't here yet?", Steve proposed.

"No, they're here. Look at that car. That's the same car that Melissa pointed to when she asked us to come along.", I replied, quite sure of myself. "They should be here some where. Let's walk down the beach and see if we missed them.".

Steve nodded and followed me. We walked closer to the house and all of a sudden I hear a female voice ring out.

"Well look who decided to finally show up.", and I spun around to see who had spoken, and there is Melissa, and two other girls leaning against a rock wall. There was a brown haired woman who had spoke out. And I

Melissa's pov

We arrived at the beach in about 15 minutes. We had already stopped at the local store and purchased bathing suits, sunscreen, sun hats, sun glasses, beach towels, five beach chairs, and a large beach tent. We had already changed into our swimsuits, but we had them under our dresses.

I was still wearing my red and white dress with the belt and bow imprinted on it, and I some black heels. Chloe was wearing a blue denim looking dress with a belt, along with black heels as well. Jayla was wearing a green and white floral print dress with a matching belt, with white heels.

Chloe is on the left, Melissa is in the middle, and Jayla is on the right.

As for our swimsuits, I was wearing a gray, black, and white striped two-piece swimsuit. Chloe was wearing a olive green one-piece swimsuit with pointy triangles across her chest. And Jayla was wearing a dark red one-piece swimsuit with a drape neck.

Melissa'swimsuit is the very first one, Chloe's is the second one, and Jayla's is the last one in the very back.

"Do you know when you guy friends will be here? I am not waiting for them all day.", Jayla said.

"Um, they should be here in about 15 minutes or so.", I replied uncertainly. Surely Bucky wouldn't bail on me? Would he? I thought. "We should just sit tight, they will come I'm sure of it.", I said a little bit more confidently.

"I agree with Melissa, I think that she is right.", Chloe said with a mischievous grin on her face.

"And may I ask why you agree?", Jayla asked while looking up at Chloe through her lashes.

"Well, I have seen how Bucky has looked at Melissa, so I don't think that he would be someone to miss the opportunity to see Melissa in a swimsuit.", Chloe said with an all knowing smile.

"No no no! That's not who Bucky sees me at all!  He is just friend, Chloe.", I protested.

"Mm-hmm, yeah right.", Chloe smirked, with her arms crossed.

"oh my Melissa! You're blushing!", Jayla exclaimed with a grin that dominated her face.

"What! No, I am not!", I protested again, with my hands lifted up in front of me, with my palms facing Jayla. But I could feel my cheeks heating up.

"Yes, you are!", Jayla retorted with a smirk.

"Am not!", I argued.

"Are too!", Chloe jumped in.

"Am not!", I protested, but it was no use, they were right. I was blushing.

"Yep you are.", Chloe replied.

"Okay, okay, fine you win. But don't you dare embarrass me.", I threatened Chloe, pointing my index finger at her.

"Me? Embarras you? I would never!", Chloe said with a twinkle in her eyes. I knew that she would probably embarrass me anyways.

All of a sudden Chloe's attention is shifted and she smiles, "Well, look who decided to show up!".

I turn around and see Bucky and Steve standing there with their arms full of stuff.

Thank you so much for reading! The next chapter will be continuation of this chapter. Please vote, comment, and tell your friends about this book if you like it! I have had so much fun writing this!

-Grace

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.9K 712 8
You run into a mysterious stranger on the street while running late for work and spill coffee all over yourself in the process. Later, you find out t...
85.3K 2.8K 26
"I kneel into a dream where I am good and loved. I am loved. My hands have made some good mistakes. They can always make better ones." - Natalie Wee ...
2.6K 146 41
*Completed* This story follow James "Bucky" Barnes after The Avengers: Endgame. He tries to get back into society, but is too worried about his past...
1.5M 32.4K 88
A/N: first few chapters are a bit 'cringy' with spelling errors (I write this on my phone) but if you can get past those two things, I PROMISE the st...