Infatuation | Bucky Barnes

By victoriat90

He had two choices; leave her and let her die or take her with him and give her a life he wouldn't wish on an... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Author's Note #One
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Chapter Sixty Eight
Chapter Sixty Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy One
Chapter Seventy Two
Chapter Seventy Three
Chapter Seventy Four
Chapter Seventy Five
Chapter Seventy Six
Chapter Seventy Seven
Chapter Seventy Eight
Chapter Seventy Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty One
Chapter Eighty Two
Chapter Eighty Three
Chapter Eighty Five
Chapter Eighty Six
Chapter Eighty Seven
Chapter Eighty Eight
Chapter Eighty Nine
Chapter Ninety
Chapter Ninety One
Chapter Ninety Two
Epilogue
Author's Note #Two
Author's Note #3
Small Update

Chapter Eighty Four

13.3K 391 410
By victoriat90

A/N: If you have not watched the season finale of TFTWS, please do not read this chapter. It contains spoilers. I watched the episode at three am so I could publish this chapter for you guys. Please enjoy!!

"Mr. and Mrs. Barnes, please have a seat." The fertility doctor said as they were called into her office.

Catherine had never been so anxious. Normally she wasn't a fan of doctors, but this was one doctor she wanted to hear from. Bucky reached over, gripping Catherine's hand. He wanted to know that she wasn't alone, no matter what news was about to be delivered.

The doctor flipped open a folder which they assumed held their medical records. "I know you've been having issues conceiving and we're hoping to get answers. After looking over both of your test results and labs I've come to a conclusion. Mr. Barnes, with your...interesting history of being frozen and un frozen mixed with the super Solider serum, it's depleted your fertility."

Bucky drew a breath in. So it was his fault they couldn't have a child. Guilt overcame him and he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

The doctor turned to Catherine. "Mrs. Barnes, your mother also faced similar issues and given your history with your hemorrhage, your very unlikely to conceive naturally at least. The fact that you two have one child is a miracle."

So it wasn't just Bucky, it was both of them. Bucky supposed that even the most 'perfect' couples had issues. He could see Catherine's eyes watering up. She scrunched up her nose, trying her best not to let the tears flow.

"You do have a few options. One of those is surrogacy which is how you were conceived Catherine. We could try IVF as well."

Catherine cleared her throat. "Um, thank you Dr. Lewis for everything. I think my husband and I need some time though."

She couldn't run out of the room faster. She couldn't bear to listen to the doctor speak another word. She would be okay, she knew she would but she just needed air. She felt Bucky wrap his arms around her tightly the minute they got outside. He rubbed his hand in a soothing manner along her back.

"These things happen." He whispered.

Catherine drew back. "I know. I-I just wanted you to experience the whole pregnancy and baby thing. I know you got robbed of that with William."

Bucky shook his head. "It's okay, I promise. We're going to be okay. At least we have some answers. We have Will and that's enough for me."

"I'll be okay. Eventually. I just need to let the shock go away." She assured him. "We also need to talk to William about that school."

"What are you thinking?" He asked as they began to walk.

"I don't know honestly. I want him to have a normal childhood, but we would be holding him back. I don't want him to grow up too fast." She admitted. "I wish someone would have told me how hard it is to be a parent sometimes."

Bucky chucked. "Well, if it means anything, I think you're doing a great job. I don't know if I could have raised him for five years by myself."

Catherine couldn't help but blush. "Thank you."

****
They weren't the type of family to usually have the TV on while eating dinner. Catherine actually despised the idea of having it on. She felt like dinner time was the perfect time to sit down, decompress, and talk about your day. However, given everything going on with the Flag Smashers, she allowed it. It was nice sitting down with William for the first time in what felt like forever. For the first four, now almost five years of his life she was always with him. No SHIELD missions. No Avengers. It was just them. She knew it had to be equally hard on their son.

"Will, your mom and I would like to talk to you about something." Bucky spoke up.

William set his fork down and looked at his parents. "Okay."

Catherine glanced at Bucky not even knowing where to begin. "William, you know you're not only a 'Barnes,' but you're also a 'Stark.' And Starks are pretty special. We tend to be a little more...intelligent than people. However, that doesn't mean we're better than others. It just means that we have the brains to help more people, like Grandpa Howard and Uncle Tony. There are special schools for kids like you. It's...different, but you can learn a lot more there. If you want, you could go to that special school."

She could almost see the wheels turning in her son's mind. Part of her regretted asking him. To her it seemed like a big decision to make for such a young child.

"Or, you could just give it a try and if you don't like it, you can go back to your regular school." Bucky suggested.

"I think I want to try it. Maybe I'll learn how to bring Uncle Tony back like he brought dad back." William said.

Catherine's breath hitched in her throat. She knew he was too young to understand the difference between death and quantum physics. Part of her didn't want to crush his dreams and say that Tony would never come back. She felt Bucky's hand reach under the table and squeeze her's reassuring.

"Maybe." Catherine whispered. She didn't want to ponder the thought anymore. And then she saw the words 'Breaking News' displayed on the TV. Shit. They both stood up, walking over to the TV, wanting to listen to what was being said.

"We have breaking news. There's a complete lockdown at the GRC meeting in Lower Manhattan where authorities are saying they're tracking multiple threats from groups seeking to stop the GRC's vote on global resettlement." The reporter explained.

Catherine and Bucky both looked at each other. They knew for a fact they were both about to be called in. She already had her phone pulled out, dialing Happy's number while Bucky went to change. Hopefully, this would be the last time they would have to face the flag smashers.

****

The scene outside of the building where the GRC meeting was being held was a complete madhouse. Police were everywhere. Streets were shut down. Everyone was on high alert. She just wanted this to go smoothly as possible. She didn't want anyone to get hurt. However, she had a feeling that the Flag Smashers had a different agenda.

"I'm almost there." Sam said over the coms.

"What's the plan?" Bucky asked as they weeded their way through the crowd.

"Karli's got to be close. Keep your eyes open." Sam told them.

"Might be difficult. In case no one noticed, this group is pretty good at blending in." Catherine observed.

"Sergeant Barnes. Agent Barnes." An officer greeted them as they passed by.

Bucky huffed. "Been a long time since anyone called me that. It's nice though."

"And by the way, I called in some backup." Sam added.

Catherine and Bucky both looked at each slightly confused. When was he going to mention this back up?

"Excuse me, sir." Some random man stopped Bucky. "Are you suppose to be here?"

What the hell? Of course they were suppose to be there. Then the man reached up and removed the facial covering that she had seen before, revealing Sharon. "It's me guys."

"Sharon, what the hell are you doing here?" Bucky asked.

"Relax." She assured them. "No one is looking for me."

"Is that Sharon?" Sam asked.

"Unfortunately." Bucky answered.

"James. The more help we have the better." Catherine almost scolded him.

"Hey Sam. I'd thought I'd get the band back together." Sharon said into the com.

"Thank you. You're risking a lot coming here." Sam said.

"I hear pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be." Sharon said.

"Depends on the therapist."

"They'll move on the building soon. Be ready." Sam told them.

"I guess we better get inside then." Catherine said.

She kept her eyes peeled as they walked further inside. She knew they would more than likely try to sneak up on them so she wanted to be prepared. However, the quietness scared her. What if they were harming the leaders that had gathered today?

"Guys, what's going on on your end?" Sam asked.

"A whole lotta nothing." Catherine answered. "Something isn't right about this."

"Karli's not coming in. She's trying to force everyone out." Sam said. "You guys are going to have to do something."

They all three looked at each other. It was time to go to work. They couldn't let anyone out of that building, but she knew that it would be difficult given how many people were inside. They walked through a metal detector and Sharon caused it to go off and Catherine shot her an amused smile. You would have expected Bucky to set it off but she knew the vibranium wouldn't set the detectors off.

"Here's one of them." Bucky spotted one of the Flag Smashers. "Cat and I will get the evac."

They began to walk outside when a woman with short stopped them. "Mr. Barnes, it's Karli."

Bucky looked at the phone suspiciously before taking it. Why did Karli want to talk to Bucky? Maybe it was because he was super Solider like her? And then it hit her.

"Bucky! It's a distraction." Catherine said with wide eyes. "We need to go!"

"Damn it! I realized that now." Bucky said as they started running.

They should have known better. They ran inside the parking garage to find it empty. She wanted to scream in frustration, but that would only escalate the situation. The Flag Smashers had gotten a hold of the leaders and God only knows what they were going to do with them.

"I got an idea." Bucky said as he saw a motorcycle.

"No." Catherine said firmly.

Bucky looked around. "Do you see any other options?"

"The last time I got on with you, I ended up getting a pretty bad road rash." She argued.

"Road rash? Seriously Cat? That's the worst injury?" Bucky questioned. "What happened to my-"

Catherine held a hand up to stop him. "If you say 'what happened to my fearless girl,' I'm going to hit you."

Bucky smirked at her. "Promise? Now get on the bike."

"Okay, okay. I'm getting on it." Catherine groaned and wrapped her arms around him.

"Hang on." Bucky told her.

She let out a surprised Yelp as he took off. She knew for a fact he was enjoying this a little too much as they navigated through the city.

"Bucky!" She heard Sam yell.

"I don't fly man. That's your thing." Bucky said. She could make out a roadblock ahead with two transport trucks stopped. She assumed that they contained the hostages. "Alright Cat. When I say jump, do it. Tuck and roll."

"You want me to jump off a moving bike?" She asked.

"You've done worse." Bucky reminded her. "Just...be careful."

Catherine drew in a shaky breath in as the roadblocks got closer and closer.

"Do it now!" Bucky yelled.

She tilted her body to the side, bracing for the impact of the road. Cuss words flew out of her mouth as she slid across the rough pavement. Yep. That was definitely cause some road rash. She stood up with a groan and ran towards the trucks. As she approached the trucks, she could see Bucky fighting one of the Flag Smashers and others were joining.

She reached up to pull one of them off Bucky. He spun around and her fist connected with his face. "Oops." She said. She clearly had pissed him off as he ripped his mask off and ran at her. Over the guy's shoulder, one of the trucks erupted into flames. No! There were still people inside.

"Morgenthau!" She heard John Walker yell out.

She saw Bucky struggling to get the doors of the truck open and she knew she had to think fast. She kicked and punched the Flag Smasher with every bit of strength she had. She just needed to get him subdued long enough to help Bucky. She brought her elbow up to his nose, feeling a crunch beneath it. When she stood back, he fell to the ground clutching his nose. That would work.

She turned around, running over to Bucky and then she remembered her bracelet. "Bucky, stand back."

She turned the name plate of it over, finding the tiny button Tony had put in it. She brought her hand up towards the doors and a metal hand with a blaster similar to Tony's Iron Man suit appeared. She heard the surge of it about to fire and she prepared herself for the blast. The doors popped open and the hostages began to file out.

"You had that the entire time?" Bucky questioned.

"I kind of forgot I had it. Tony put it in years ago. I only get one shot with it and then Tony would have to reinstall the blaster." Catherine explained.

They both noticed John getting his ass handed to him.

"I got him." Bucky told her.

They ran over, Bucky throwing a guy into a fence as she fought to free John. Her heart stopped as she saw Bucky go over the ledge, the Flag Smasher going after him.

"James!" Catherine yelled, running over to see if he was okay.

She wouldn't say he was entirely okay, but she knew he could handle himself. She heard the sound of the other truck moving and she turned around.

"Uh oh." She said as it was headed straight for her.

She ducked out of the way, wishing she had the strength to stop it. Karli jumped out of the way and the truck went crashing. She waited for the sound of the impact, but it never came. She ran over to the edge seeing it teetering over the edge. If the truck went over, no one could survive. Catherine looked around for some way to stop it. And then she saw John.

He looked between the truck and Karli and she swore she could feel his confliction. She muttered please to him.  She couldn't save them, but he could. The truck groaned as it teetered and then it stopped. She caught a glimpse of wings and a wide smile spread onto her face. Sam.

Something ripped into her side causing her to scream. And then again. And again. She looked over to her side and saw one of the Flag Smashers standing there with a blood coated knife in hand. She reached down towards the source of the pain with a shaking hand and felt something wet. She looked down and saw blood streaking down her side.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169K 6.5K 63
MCU X OC insert. a story where my OC gets transported to MCU universe which she is a very big fan of. she can't help but fangirl over everything sh...
440K 13.7K 45
Bucky Barnes had found refuge on a small farm in Montana two years ago. It was there that the Winter Soldier seemed to disappear from his mind and B...
113K 2.9K 50
A young woman leaving an abusive relationship finds herself roommates and friends with The Avengers. My story does NOT follow the MCU. Steve didn't l...
29.8K 1.3K 8
Short Story X reader of the one and Only James B. Barnes. You're a doctor living in New York, doing your best to help injured veterans adjust to thei...