Brother of Zeus

By perseusTheDestroyer5

What if Zeus had an older twin brother? This is his story. It starts in Ancient Greece and works itself event... More

Preparations for a Mission and Other Godly Shenanigans
Benefits of a Patron and a Meeting with a Witch
Saving Siblings and An Ass-Kicking
Gaining Domains and A Floating Island
Olympian Encounters
Cripples, Bastards, and unBroken Things?
Olympian Headaches and Weddings
Diplomatic Envoys and Atlantis
Some War Action
The First Interlude
A Ginormous Sea Snake
A Thunderous Giant
A Plan Worthy of Athena
The Second Interlude
A What?
A Titanic Battle
Peace in Our Time

Prologue

10.8K 125 21
By perseusTheDestroyer5

Prologue

Mount Othrys stood tall as the dwelling place of the Titans, the reigning powers of the Greek realm. Inside one of its grand palaces, the air crackled with tension as a titaness screamed, her body contorting in pain, heralding the birth of two extraordinary beings. 

Nymphs hurriedly moved about, carrying amphorae filled with cool water to soothe the perspiring forehead of the laboring Titan. Despite the torment of birthing her sixth and seventh children, she retained a striking beauty that would captivate mortal eyes. In the depths of her soul, she clung to a fervent desire to alter her offspring's fate and reunite her fractured family.

Amidst the tumult, a powerful surge coursed through her, and the cries of a newborn mingled with the mother's anguished screams. It was a boy, and she gazed upon him with unconditional love amidst the chaos. Soon after, another contraction wracked her body, and a trusted nymph named Adrasteia swiftly swaddled the infant in cloth, creating a cocoon of comfort. The baby lay there, drowsy yet startled by the cries of his younger twin.

Rhea, the Queen of Titans, released her final scream of exhaustion as she birthed her last child. She was quickly attended to, cleaned up, and propped against the headboard, cradling a child in each arm. Her gaze shifted first to her son on the right—Zeus, their beacon of hope. Unlike his siblings, she yearned for Zeus and his twin to escape the cruel designs of their father. Then, she looked at his brother—Perseus, the harbinger of destruction. His golden eyes, speckled with green, shimmered like an archipelago amidst his amber irises.

Rhea nodded in agreement, her eyes meeting Adrasteia's. The nymph carefully took the two bundles in her arms and gently placed them in a nearby cradle. Understanding the weight of the moment and the daunting task of presenting the newborns to their formidable father, Adrasteia's expression mirrored her genuine concern. Rhea recognized the wisdom in her loyal companion's plea. The plan could withstand a brief delay, and a couple of hours of rest would not overly test Kronos's patience, the formidable Titan Lord.

—X—

A few hours passed, and the grand feast continued to fill the halls with mirth and merriment. Laughter echoed, mingling with the lively melodies that swirled through the air. The enticing aroma of delectable dishes permeated the room, teasing the senses of all in attendance. Amidst the revelry, the time drew near for Kronos, the mighty Titan-King, to formally meet his newborn children. While Kronos had caught a glimpse of the infants earlier, ensuring no cause for suspicion, this was the moment of official introduction. Seated alongside her husband and brother, Rhea exchanged a knowing glance with a trusted servant, silently signaling the commencement of their daring plan.

With utmost care and precision, the babies were discreetly switched. The bundles that replaced them were cleverly wrapped to resemble healthy infants. The careful wrapping concealed any evidence of the swap, making it seem as if nothing had changed. Though it might not withstand close scrutiny if Kronos were to inspect the bundles more closely.

Meanwhile, away from the bustling hall, a swift and quiet operation was underway. The real children, guided by their loyal escorts, were led through winding corridors. Their footsteps echoed softly as they were led to a secluded mountaintop park, bathed in the serene glow of the moon. Ancient trees stood tall, bearing witness to the unfolding events. With a sense of reverence, a pair of gentle hands emerged from the very earth. Cradling the infants tenderly, these hands conveyed a deep sense of protection and whispered promises of a brighter future. And so, the precious twins were carried to their destined refuge—the mysterious Psychro Cave on the eastern shores of Crete. Within the depths of the cave, a simple cradle awaited their arrival, offering a sanctuary of safety and solace, shielding them from the turmoil of their birthplace.

—X—

Rhea felt beads of perspiration forming on her forehead, trying her best to pass it off as the warmth of the room. As her husband rose from his seat, he forcefully banged the handle of his scythe on the table, demanding the attention of the gathered guests.

"Thank you, all of you, for joining us in this feast, a celebration in honor of my beloved wife and the newest additions to our family," he proclaimed, casting a meaningful glance toward Rhea, his smile masking his true intentions. 'He always possessed a captivating charisma when it suited him,' Rhea thought to herself, signaling for the servants carrying the bundles to place them in her outstretched arms.

Her husband's gaze shifted greedily toward the bundles, only to redirect his attention back to the crowd. "However, as some of you may know, a prophecy has foretold that one of my offspring will betray me and attempt to usurp our reign. Being your devoted king," he sighed, a glimmer of madness flickering in his eyes, "I must prioritize the kingdom's welfare above all else. Therefore, I have made the decision to eliminate this perceived threat before it can sow any discord."

A malicious grin played upon his lips as he reached for one of the bundles, his eyes filled with anticipation. However, a frown creased his brow when he looked down upon the small bundle, containing nothing more than a tuft of black hair. Turning to his wife, he whispered with a mix of confusion and suspicion, "Are they always so quiet?" His gaze shifted inquisitively between the two bundles before ultimately shrugging it off. "It matters not, either way."

As Kronos leaned closer to Rhea, she couldn't help but fear that their ruse had been exposed, her breath catching in her throat. But to her relief, he seemed oblivious. The stones concealed within the bundles had been enchanted by the mist of Hecate, creating illusions that deceived even Kronos himself. They had done their best to make the illusions lifelike, although breathing life into stones proved impossible. Now, they could only hope for the best...

Once again facing the crowd, Kronos theatrically displayed the bundle, garnering the attention of all before devouring it whole, his expression devoid of remorse. With no hesitation, he repeated the act with the second bundle, consuming it without a second thought. Rhea watched with a gleeful sense of satisfaction as the successful switch unfolded before her eyes. However, Kronos's smile soon faded, replaced by a frown as he glared suspiciously at his stomach...

—X—

Perseus surveyed the cavern and its surroundings, his keen senses catching a faint rustling sound behind him. "Gotcha," he thought, a mischievous grin tugging at his lips. Instead of impulsively spinning around, he opted to continue as if nothing had happened. However, his heightened hearing detected a sharp intake of breath.

Reacting swiftly, he spun around just in time to redirect his brother's advance and send him crashing to the ground beneath him. "Stop it, Perseus! It's no fun when you always win," his twin-brother complained. "Oh, come on, brother. It's not my fault that you're tragically inept at hiding and sneaking. You've always had a flair for the dramatics, Zeus. Besides, as your older brother, it's my duty to be better than you," Perseus playfully taunted, mocking his twin.

Zeus growled in frustration, his voice laced with defiance. "We're twins, Perseus! Adrasteia herself said we were born at the same time." Both godlings dusted themselves off, their gazes sweeping across the rugged expanse of their grandmother's form. The cave they called home nestled on the slopes of Mount Ida, nestled in the heart of eastern Crete. The relentless heat challenged even their divine endurance.

Peering from the cave's entrance, Perseus caught a fleeting glimpse of the vast Aegean Sea to the North, while a small village at the mountain's base represented the sole beacon of civilization in their line of sight.

Suddenly, a woman's voice carried down the mountain to the two sons of Kronos. "Perseus, Zeus, come back to the cave. It's time for lunch!" Adrasteia's call resounded through the air. The brothers exchanged glances before racing up the mountainside, their feet carrying them swiftly toward the familiar entrance of their abode.

Adrasteia, one of the nymphs of Mount Ida, had been in the service of Rhea, while her sister, Ida, needed a little more persuasion from Rhea's authoritative "discussion" before joining. Together, Ida and Adrasteia lovingly raised the two sons of Kronos as their own. Though the godlings had been alive for five years, their accelerated aging process due to their divine nature made them mentally and physically twelve.

Perseus, with his raven-black hair and an athletic yet lean physique, possessed mesmerizing gold eyes speckled with green. His high cheekbones lent him an air of royalty, and his face seemed chiseled from bronze-tinted marble. Adorned in a white khiton with gold linings that complemented his rare eye color, he stood out in a crowd. The only other bearer of gold eyes was his father, Kronos, leaving Perseus unsure of his thoughts on the matter.

On the other hand, Zeus boasted a more sinewy build, his agile frame exuding strength and power for his twelve-year-old form. His eyes sparkled like electric blue, radiating an almost ethereal glow. Despite their physical similarities, both brothers possessed handsome bronze-toned skin and well-sculpted facial features.

As they reached the cool sanctuary of the cave, Adrasteia fussed over a tear in Zeus's white khiton, her disappointment evident. She quickly suppressed any further remarks and proceeded with the two boys to where her sister had prepared ambrosia and nectar. Zeus merely nodded in acknowledgment to Ida, while Perseus approached her and planted an appreciative peck on her cheek, expressing his gratitude.

Taking their seats at the table, opposite each other, the brothers watched as their foster mothers went about their tasks. Although the two brothers appeared similar on the surface, their personalities couldn't have been more distinct. Zeus possessed a showboating nature, while Perseus maintained a playful and laid-back attitude, though both were authoritative when the situation called for it.

After they finished their meal, Zeus turned to his brother and asked, "So, fancy a training session?" Perseus didn't need to respond; they both knew the answer. With that, they dashed toward the weapons rack, each grabbing a wooden sword...

End of Chapter

Welcome to the story, I hope you enjoy the following chapters as well.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 65 28
❛As the sun kissed the sea...their bodies melted into each other's❜ A story in which two troubled souls find safety in each other. Andromeda 'Andie'...
100K 1.8K 25
A Percy jackson fanfiction on a new Poseidon sibling (she is 15)
28.6K 587 32
🏁HAPPY QUARTER YEAR ANNIVERSARY🏁 🚩TW: Blood, rape, swear words, suicidal thoughts, self harm, panic attacks, needles, death, natural disasters, sl...
125K 3.5K 31
❝ ππ„π‹πˆπ„π•π„ πˆπ“ πŽπ‘ ππŽπ“ 𝐁𝐔𝐓 π˜πŽπ”'𝐑𝐄 𝐌𝐘 π…π€π•πŽπ”π‘πˆπ“π„ πˆπƒπˆπŽπ“. ❞ or sarcastic plus sarcastic seemed to mix well-or not. iro...