The Tiger King (Chaelisa)

By Dreamofshadows

Fight for glory. Fight for honour. Fight for Love. Flirting expert Lisa is a competitive boxer and reluctant... More

Author's Note
Of Monsters and Men
1| In the Ring
2| Drinks
3| Morning-Afters
4| Bagels
5| Welcome to the Vault
6| Sisters
7| Memories
8| Before
9| Maybe
10| Stiff
11| Chat
12| Fall
13| Disapprove
14| Proxy
15| Plan
16| Decision
17| Upset
18| Neighbour
19| Meet
20| Frustration
21| Almost
22|Stuck
23| Do-over
24| Getting to know you
25| Girl Talk
26| Irene
27| Visitors
28| Progress
29| Monday
30| Still Me
31| Test
32| Fight
33| Proposal
34| Rosé's Meeting
35| Change
36| White Lie
37| Confessions: Part 1
37| Confessions: Part 2
38| Understanding
39| The First Match
40| Late Night Call
41| Bao Bao
42| Ringmaster
43| Mischief and Mayhem: Part 1
44| Mischief and Mayhem: Part 2
45| The Case of the Two Jinyoungs
46| Preparation
47| Party People
48| Monster
Interlude: No Saints, All Sinners
49| Angels
51| Beneath the Tree
52| Of McDonald's, Movies and Makeouts
53| Waking Up
54| Jjimjilbang Day
55| Conversations
56| Outing
57| Outing Pt. 2
58| Sunlight & Cuddles
59| Curiosity Killed the Cat...
60| ...But Satisfaction Brought It Back
61| Lights Out, Dahyun
62| Phone Calls
63| Beavers and Penguins
64| Omens
65| Trouble in Paradise
66| Pizza Time
67| Freefall
68| Last Girl Standing
69| Spiralling
70| Lost
71| Gone
72| Jennie's Story
73| Playing with Fire
74| The Sins of Our Mothers
75| The Forest of Fear
76| Enemy Of My Enemy
77| A New Deal
:P
78| And They Were Roommates
79| The Gangnam Gambit
80| No Time To Die
81| The Secrets of Our Fathers
82| Die Another Day
83| The Darkest Hour
84| You Only Live Twice
85| You and Me
:P (pt.2)
86| Tell Me (No) Lies
87| Tell Me (No) Lies Pt.2
:P (pt.3)
88| Old Friends, New Faces
89| Son of the Tiger
90| Negotiations
91| Visits

50| Fallout

1.6K 88 192
By Dreamofshadows

It was a few days later when Jennie lifted the trapdoor of the attic after she came back from grocery shopping and found Lisa engrossed in her comic, her dictionary open next to her ready to assist in finding some word she didn't know.

"Do you know what an enhanced quantum nanohelix-alphabeam spritzer is?" Lisa asked without preamble, sounding puzzled.

"Well hello to you too dear sister, no nothing happened I'm quite fine. Oh please do not bother, there's no need to help with my bags, they're not that heavy," Jennie snorted as she lifted herself in.

"Yeah hi, but do you know the word?" Lisa said distractedly as she flipped through the dictionary pages with a crease in her brow. "I can't find anything here."

"Sounds pretty made up if you ask me." Jennie closed the trapdoor. She laid her plastic bags from her trip to seven-eleven aside and picked up Hwangssabu's incense tin. "Is it in the story?"

"Yeah. It says it shoots nanohalogenic beams which I still don't get what it is. I'm finding separate words in the dictionary but I guess they strung them together to sound fancy?"

"Yeah, that's usually how language works."

But Lisa had already sank back on her mattress, her nose buried between the pages of the comic book.

Jennie shook her head with a little smile. The comics and dictionary were a thoughtful gift on Rosé's part, partly because it quenched Lisa's thirst for knowledge and partly because at least it got her to shut up for a while and let Jennie think.

Jennie placed new incense sticks in the pot, lit them up. The window was already open, letting in a cool breeze to counter the afternoon heat. 

She wasn't particularly religious, but it was the least she could do to keep the memory of their mentor alive and honour him with their poor excuse for a shrine. She knelt in front of Hwangssabu's photo and put her hands together, eyes trained intently on his bespectacled smiling face.

I wish you were here.

She always started the ritual with that greeting in her head, a concession of her inability to shoulder the burden she was handed.

It also translated for I miss you so much.

Jennie didn't dwell long in front of their late mentor's photo-it would only have her sink into nostalgia and all the shortcomings that led up to the moment wrestling with current problems so she would then solemnly close her eyes, say goodbye and carry on with the day.

She didn't know if Lisa ever talked to Hwangssabu like she did, but Jennie certainly didn't want her sister to join her. She just wanted to have one little thing of Hwangssabu to herself. The ritual was all she had left of him and she didn't want to share her grieving with Lisa.

It was almost like an unspoken agreement between them when Jennie had started out burning incense for him after his death: Lisa would turn away or give a stiff nod, waiting until Jennie was done. Then they would either settle for their afternoon nap or open the Vault, depending what time of day Jennie burned the incense sticks.

"How's your hand today?" asked Jennie as she put away the new purchases and opened a Greek yogurt pot, swooping up a heaped spoonful. She had taken a liking to it since she had one at Rosé's place.

"It's good," Lisa shrugged.

"No pain whatsoever?"

"A little throbbing, but it's not much, like a tooth."

"Good, we can throw out those painkillers then, they'd only mess with you if you took them now," Jennie decided.

"Wouldn't it be better to hang on to them, for emergencies? Maybe you'd need them yourself one day, if you got hurt," Lisa pointed out.

"I'd rather not mess around with drugs, thanks."

Lisa rolled her eyes at her sister's terse tone. "Nini they're just your average painkiller prescribed by the doctor, could you stop treating it like it's crack?"

"They had you high, what's to say what they'd do to me?" Jennie said grimly. "Besides, it's not safe to dabble like that, taking prescription drugs carelessly so...I'd rather have new ones prescribed with instructions, if the situation ever comes to that."

Lisa turned a page of her comic. "Suit yourself then. You can go ahead and flush them."

"Okay."

They were quiet for a few moments but the room was suffocating with unspoken tension, the conversation still not unfinished.

"It's a good thing your arm's healing steadily," Jennie began, breaking the silence, "hopefully in a month's time, it will be healed and we can go into the Grand Slam without a hitch."

Lisa's head shot up. "What? But I thought...you said..."

She wilted when Jennie raised an eyebrow, her mouth running dry as realisation dawned on her.

"You lied?"

"I didn't." Jennie stirred her yogurt calmly, too calmly. Lisa knew that carefully blank face, the one Jennie used to coax and cajole her, to persuade.

"Jen, you told Jisoo..."

"That we'll wait until your arm heals before we get back to boxing," Jennie nodded, "I never mentioned about dropping out of the Grand Slam, though. That's just what everyone else is assuming."

Lisa stared, her jaw slack.

"Your name is still in the running, I didn't pull us out just yet. As far as anyone is concerned, you still qualify. We just have to make sure you don't end up rusty by the time we actually get to the Grand Slam," Jennie said briskly, "and we've already slacked off these last few days."

"We've been running..." said Lisa faintly.

But Jennie shook her head. "Running won't substitute for actual punchbag training. So tomorrow I want to get back on track with some punching, okay? Not your hurt arm obviously, we should wait a little more, but we can't afford to let your progress so far go to waste. Competition will be tough."

"But Jisoo...and Rosie...I thought..." Lisa's eyes were wide, the comic completely forgotten in her lap.

"Well, whatever you thought, put it out of your head because this is our plan of action now."

Jennie finished her yogurt and pulled some scraps of old newspaper towards her that had old game plans scribbled in the margins. "Enjoy the concert tonight because we're picking up the pace from now on and we need to match up with intensity and endurance-"

"Stop. Stop it. Just stop."

Jennie quirked her eyebrows. "What?"

Lisa glared, her jaw set. "What do you mean, what? Jennie, are you out of your senses? First of all, you want to risk me going into the Grand Slam when I could potentially harm my hand again, for good this time?"

Jennie waved her hand dismissively. "You always heal, don't be so dramatic. Now as I was saying—"

Lisa's fist slammed down on the papers, successfully grabbing Jennie's attention.

"Why?" Lisa gritted. "Why do you want to go in so badly? You heard the doc. You heard everyone else. Jisoo even offered to help out! What's wrong with you?"

This time it was Jennie's turn to stare. "What?"

"Stop playing dumb!" Lisa gestured at herself. "I thought we were going to lie low and...you said you'd figure out what to do about the money."

"And I did. We're going ahead with plans as usual, the only difference is we're gonna have to train your other arm because we're gonna lean more heavily on it for punching."

"Jennie, my hand is injured!" Lisa said indignantly, waving it in front of Jennie's face. "What's not clicking?"

"Your hand."

"No!" Lisa groaned. "Please tell me you're joking. We can't go into the Grand Slam."

"Why?" Jennie's eyes narrowed. "I thought we were on the same page here. Get in the Grand Slam, get the money."

"Yeah, but that was before I got hurt," Lisa insisted. "Things have changed now."

"Things have changed...or your priorities have changed?" Jennie said coldly.

The room stilled, thick with tension as they stared each other down.

"Is that a bad thing?" Lisa answered at last. "Changing priorities? Things change, Jen. We can change too but doesn't mean we won't be able to handle whatever comes our way."

"Not this again," Jennie groaned, "you came to me with that crap when you wanted to have a go dating Rosé. And look where that got you. Look where that got us."

"So there was a slight change in plans," Lisa conceded, "doesn't mean we have to be rigid and stick absolutely—"

"Are you scared of what your Rosie-posie might say?" Jennie interrupted roughly. "Scared she'll be mad that you didn't listen to her and stayed put? Is that what this is? Because she certainly has done a fine job of placing you under her thumb."

Lisa stared, lost for words. "What?"

"I'm just saying," Jennie forged on, "you seem to have gotten quite bold as of late, questioning me when all I'm trying to do is secure us the money. Is your Rosie-posie gonna feed you when our winnings from the Purge run out, hmm? You think you'll make it till winter living on salads?"

"This has nothing to do with Rosie," Lisa gritted. "Leave her out of this."

"Right. Let's say I believe you on that. So what's your problem then, if it's not Rosé?"

"It's just that we don't have to risk me getting hurt again, we have options."

"Do we? And you won't get hurt."

"You don't know that."

"I do. I know how your body works, more or less."

"Jisoo promised she'd help. You know she will. Why can't you trust her?"

"I do trust her. But unlike you, Lisa, I still have pride. Have you no dignity at all? Is that why you're so willing to throw yourselves at people's feet like an eager puppy begging for scraps?" Jennie said in a terrible voice. "Well then, run along and be a good little dog. But I'm not that cheap. Jisoo did promise me help when we last talked, but I never said I'd take it. She's done too much already, I can't keep leeching off her."

"You won't be leeching, she's offering as a friend! Why can't you accept that?"

Jennie leaned forward, eyes trained on her sister. "I've spent my whole life fighting to stay out of debt, Lisa. I've been in this game before you came into the picture. I watched my parents grapple with money and all the suffering it caused. I watched Hwangssabu working several jobs to eke out a living for us, before you came along. I had to leave my lavish life behind and start from scratch, twice now."

All I want is to be able to live comfortably, without relying on others. You may call me greedy and selfish and obstinate for all I care. But you wouldn't understand. So let me do my job in peace and you do yours. That's the way we always worked, and that's what got us through so far."

"You're not giving me a choice, Jen," Lisa said quietly. "What happened to that? Am I just your prize cash-cow? What happened to talking it out together? This is like when you told me about pilates."

"You're not thinking rationally so I can't give you choices to make. Someone has to think ahead," Jennie shrugged, thumbing through her notebook for financial records and bills. "If you're so adamant on not going into the Grand Slam, give me a solution. Excluding any charity," she added sternly when Lisa opened her mouth. "Excluding any possible offer that your girlfriend and Jisoo might dream up."

"I could...pick up some manual labour?" Lisa voiced out doubtfully.

"Right. You break your back all day and then get paid a pittance because you'd obviously be working outside the law with all the other foreigners they'd bully into the job. Not worth it. Next."

"Maybe Matt could try give me another gig, but at a different diner..."

"He'd have two undeclared people on the pay roll. Doesn't even sound good when you say it out loud. Plus, you're too conspicuous and memorable. Next."

"Pizza delivery?"

"You can't even ride a bike, or a motorcycle, or any vehicle for that matter. You'd need a license and all that jazz. They're not gonna waste time teaching you."

"I could learn! And I could...buy a bike?"

Jennie gave her a sardonic smile. "You want to waste your cut of the Purge money on a bike? How cute."

"Please don't make me go into the Grand Slam," Lisa said in a small voice. "I...I don't want to. I could hurt my arm for good."

"You don't want to, or Rosie doesn't want you to?" Jennie said in a hard voice.

When Lisa opened her mouth to answer, Jennie held up her hand. "You know stopping the training will be bad, you know that. You need to be constantly training, Hwangssabu said so."

"I know," Lisa said quietly.

"So why not be productive about it and get money while we're at it? I'm asking you again Lisa: you don't want to, or Rosie doesn't want you to?"

This time Lisa was silent, her eyes downcast. Jennie clicked her teeth.

"That doc was talking hot air because he was considering the time it takes regular people to heal. Your hand will be fine as rain in a month, you'll see. And don't even think of trying to get out of it by injuring it again," she warned. "Stick to the plan."

"Would you go in if you were in my place?"

"I'd do it like a shot if it meant there was a chance I could win the money."

"It's all about the money," Lisa mumbled.

"Lisa, think of what we could do with the prize. You wouldn't even have to fight again until next summer! That's how much money is at stake, and we'll be living as fancy as you please. We can renovate this dump, buy a new AC and get proper food every day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. No more noodle cups! Oh, and we can buy new mattresses and blankets! We can go to the spa every two months. We can buy clothes and heck we can even get a heater and pay all the bills and lease..."

Jennie's eyes shone, pleading with her sister. "Doesn't that all sound amazing? Isn't it that why we're working our asses off? And all you have to do is train for this month and win. We're so close Lisa. Are you really going to give up all that we worked for...for Rosé?"

"I told you, it's got nothing to do with her!" Lisa gritted. "I'm worried about getting injured again!"

"Liar. Tell that straight to my face. Go on, say it."

But Lisa lowered her head, cradling her injured arm close. 

"Remember a few months ago, we were lying here and you held my hand?" she said quietly. "It was when...when you told me you booked me for pilates. I didn't want to go because you sprung it up on me out of nowhere. You held my hand, and you said...you said these hands shouldn't be boxing but holding a pretty girl's hand walking through a park instead."

Vaguely, Jennie did remember comforting her sister in the dead of night when melancholy had draped itself over them, silent as shadows.

"Did you mean it?" Lisa asked softly. "Any of it?"

Jennie lifted her eyes. "Maybe you were right. Maybe times do change. We could afford some instances of sentimentality before, but circumstances being what they are now...the only constant I see here is our lack of funds. And having a whirlwind romance isn't gonna solve that."

"Rosie isn't a whirlwind romance! I thought you were okay with her, with us?"

"I did give you my blessings, didn't I?"

"Then what's your problem? Why all the underhanded digs at her? I thought you were done with that!"

"I thought I was too, but seeing as it's because of her we're stuck debating this pointless issue, well...let's say my approval has taken a nosedive again."

"It's not her fault. It's not anyone's fault but that sick bastard that was going to hurt her," Lisa growled.

"Lisa, I don't dislike Rosé but...I do have some concerns about her, ah, influence, over you."

They went quiet, sizing each other up.

"I don't have to go with everything that you say, Nini," Lisa said quietly, "I think you forget I'm my own person too."

"If you were your own person, neither of us would be here," Jennie said grimly. "Think about that before you get any ideas about throwing a tantrum."

"I'm not throwing tantrums," Lisa gritted, her fists clenched, "and I can handle stuff too. I handled everything so far."

"Clearly," Jennie said dryly, "why do I feel like we already had this conversation before? Oh right, because you messed up and look at you now, just peachy."

She turned her attention back to her notebook, furrowing her brows as she squinted to jot down her latest purchases. "If you ask me, the sooner this fling is over, the better."

"This is not a fling!" Lisa yelled. "How could you say that?"

Jennie scribbled in her notebook, unbothered. "I'm just being realistic. The honeymoon phase will be over before you know it. Think carefully about your relationship now, consider what's at stake. Do you intend on telling her all about...well, yourself?"

"I will, one day soon. I plan to," Lisa rasped, her face steely, confident in her belief in Rosé. "I hate keeping secrets and that's why I don't agree with your plan to sneakily get back into the Grand Slam. I'm keeping enough secrets from her as it is, I don't want to add more."

"And you think she will be okay, learning all about you?"

"She will be. She didn't say anything when we told her about our documentation thing. She...she accepts me for who I am, Jen. Something that I'm not sure you do," Lisa said slowly.

Jennie chuckled darkly. "Then she's a bigger fool than I thought."

"Maybe you're the fool, burying your head in the sand and just focusing on the money."

"And what's wrong with that? I'm the one holding things together, Lisa. I have to make the tough calls and have to deal with whatever trouble you get yourself into. I'd rather be the fool that focuses on money then the fool that goes all wishy-washy because of something as trivial as feelings. You tell me whose the more likely to survive."

Jennie settled back with her notebook in hand. "Trust me, I know what I'm doing. Your hand will heal in time. We just have to work smart and review our gameplan."

"We don't have to," Lisa said miserably, "Jen, our friends, they can help..."

Her sister sighed. "Did you hear anything that I said? Or do I have to repeat like a stuck record?"

She looked up, her eyes boring into Lisa. "If you want to show how much you've grown up and how serious you are now, I'd start by considering the work needed to bring in the money without having to rely on others. Rosie posie won't be your crutch forever. And she might leave sooner than you expect."

"She won't." Lisa's voice was hoarse. "She's not like that. She's..." her voice trailed off, doubt seeping in. She had only revealed bits and pieces of her background, and indeed Rosé had been there, reassuring her, believing in her.

But when it came to revealing her past as well as her true self...would Rosé still be willing to stand by her words?

"Truth is unkind and hard to swallow, but I'd rather that you know what you're in for instead of feeding you lies," Jennie said sombrely. "Planning your future around Rosé when you barely know each other is foolish. Winning the Grand Slam is what must be done. We start tomorrow."

Lisa was still for a single heartbeat before in a flurry of movement she had snatched up Hwangssabu's leather jacket and scrambled across the room, grabbing her shoes in terrible haste.

Jennie didn't stop her.

Lisa opened the trapdoor and clambered through, slamming it shut behind her without ever looking back. Jennie thought she heard a distinct sniff as her sister clattered down the stairs. Moments later the Vault door thudded shut, the vibrations reaching all the way up to the attic before silence reigned once more.

Jennie rested her head back against the wall and turned to the side where Hwangssabu's photo sat. She fancied his smile looked rather dull.

"You want to tell me how bad I'm handling this too?" she asked tiredly. "Then just come back and tell it to my face. Tell me what to do. Go on, do it. Give me something. Come back." Her voice cracked but she gritted her teeth, stopping herself from pleading like some whiny child.

Naturally, nothing happened—Hwangssabu was a distant memory stamped on a piece of paper, beyond anybody's reach.

Jennie was utterly alone.

Her eyes prickled as she squeezed them shut. She choked on the bitter words stuck in her mouth, a silent cry trapped in her throat.

I wish you were here.

>

Soft music was playing in Rosé apartment when the knock at her door abruptly cut through Ariana Grande's dreamy vocals.

"Now who can that be?" Rosé muttered.

She wiped her hands down the apron as she peered through the peephole to see who had interrupted her cooking. A wide grin made its way to her face when she recognised Lisa. Her heart immediately swelled up at the sight as the initial anxiety melted away.

She threw open the door with a happy laugh and pulled Lisa in.

"Hey you," she chirped, "well this is a nice surprise—oh?"

Lisa had whipped out a bunch of yellow tulips from behind her back and offered them to her with a strained smile. Her good hand was shoved deep in her pocket.

"I erm, I don't know if they have any particular meaning, so forget about it if they do. I thought they were pretty," she mumbled, "hope you like them."

"They're lovely," Rosé beamed, taking them and sniffing deeply. "Thank you baby."

Lisa shifted on her feet. "You're welcome, I guess."

"What's the occasion?"

"Just thought of getting you something on the way here," Lisa said bashfully. She couldn't help the blush spreading across her face as Rosé pecked her on the cheek and stood back smugly.

"Score for me, look at you turning so pink, you're adorable."

"So you were actually trying to get me to blush on purpose before," Lisa accused. "I knew it!"

"Guilty as charged. But it's not like you're so innocent either," Rosé giggled. She cradled the flowers close to her chest. "Let's find a vase for them, hmm? Come on in."

She paused and looked at Lisa curiously. "Unless you were going somewhere? How come you're here already? Is Jennie here? Jisoo's not here though, she went in to her workplace today."

They had arranged to meet up at Rosé's place before heading to Ella's school for the concert but that was still a good couple of hours away. 

Lisa shook her head. "Jennie's...still at the Vault. I just wanted to see you. It isn't the same when Mimi and the others drop by," she said hurriedly. "I missed you."

"Aww, I missed you too! I'm sorry things got hectic, just cramming in the last batch of clients before summer starts properly."

"It's okay, I still got your goodnight texts."

"Jennie must have gotten pretty sick of those," Rosé chuckled. Her smile was replaced by a frown when Lisa shrugged, avoiding her eyes.

She had been expecting some banter in reply but somehow, they weren't operating on the same wavelength today.

"Is Ella here?" Lisa asked instead as they walked into the kitchen.

Rosé glanced over her shoulder, noting her girlfriend's subdued demeanour but didn't comment about it. The vague sensation that something was troubling Lisa and that it had to do with Jennie increased, but she thought of waiting a bit longer until perhaps Lisa spilled it herself.

"No she's at school, putting in some final practice before the concert later." Rosé filled a jug with water then set about arranging the tulips in it. She worked deftly, her nimble fingers gently stroking the creamy yellow petals every now and then.

The cats came gambolling and mewling around Lisa who knelt down and cracked her first smile, her eyes lighting up.

"Leo you're getting so big! Did you miss me?" she cooed, crushing him in a hug. "And Ollie, come here!"

She picked up Oliver and blew a raspberry on his stomach before rubbing behind Bori's ears as well, talking to them in a babyish voice all the while. Rosé watched them with a secret smile whilst she busied herself arranging Lisa's flowers.

"Oliver's name is actually Lego now. Ella declared that yesterday. Said Lego is a better name, and who am I to argue? Maybe by winter she'll change her mind and call him something like Benji or Hank too."

"Do kids change their minds a lot?" Lisa asked in surprise, letting go of 'Lego.'

"Some stuff they're pretty dead-set on, like her cuddly bunny Flora. I don't ever remember that having a different name."

"Lego...I like it!" Lisa decided, scratching behind his ears. "I wonder where she got the name."

"You can ask her yourself when she gets back," Rosé smiled.

She had been in the midst of cooking, or rather she had been assembling food pouches of some kind because there were a variety of dishes and bowls dotting the kitchen counter filled with herbs, veggies and other condiments. Lisa eyed the abandoned chopping board and greens on it.

"If you're busy I can let you carry on..." Lisa said hesitantly but Rosé waved dismissively, placing the last flower in the arrangement.

"I'm good, it's going into the freezer anyway." She stood back, surveying her handiwork with a pleased eye. "There! Don't they just brighten up the whole place?" She smiled at Lisa. "Nobody ever got me flowers before."

"Nobody ever got you flowers?" Lisa repeated.

"Ella gives me paper roses. The kids do them for crafts at school for Mother's day," Rosé chuckled, "so those are the flowers I usually get."

"Oh...what about...Jisoo?"

Rosé gave a wry smile. "We never ventured into romantic territory. It was all...very physical. And my ex well, he wasn't the gifting type"

"Ah...I see."

Rosé frowned when Lisa went back to scratching Lego's belly as he flopped on his back.

"Baby? Is everything okay? You're rather quiet," she said in concern. "Is it your hand? Is it hurting?"

Lisa flinched at the mention of her hurt arm which Rosé was quick to note.

"No no I'm good I just wanted to see you and dropped by. There wasn't anyone at the Vault anyway, it was boring. You sure I'm not bothering you?"

"Very sure. I thought you were keeping busy reading the comics, or did they make you bored too?"

"No no no no no they're so much fun! I'm having fun, honestly Rosie!" Lisa said earnestly. "I search up words I don't know in the dictionary too!"

"That's nice," Rosé said, waiting expectantly for Lisa to elaborate.

But once again Lisa fell silent, focusing her attention on Leo and Lego as another Ariana song started up from the stereo player.

Rosé would be lying if she didn't admit to feeling jealous that Lisa was choosing the cats over her, wondering why she hadn't even kissed her yet.

But she let it be, deciding there and then to get to the bottom of what was bugging Lisa. Something definitely wasn't right—even if she was trying to hide something, usually Lisa would still be holding up her cocky facade but today, all that was stripped away.

Lisa hadn't even bothered to mask herself—something must have shaken her deeply enough that she couldn't even pretend to be in a chipper mood.

Rosé knew better than to corner her and demand to talk—it had only been days since they started dating and they were still getting used to each other, but Rosé knew better than to apply force.

Thus, Rosé turned back to her cooking utensils and picked up the knife at the chopping board, humming softly as she started dicing some scallions.

"You'll have my undivided attention soon, I'm just going to finish chopping this up and then fill up the rolls."

She smiled when she sensed Lisa stand up and cautiously approach like a curious child. Sure enough, Lisa eventually came to stand next to her, watching attentively as Rosé nimbly chopped the scallions into tiny pieces.

"What are you preparing?"

"Spring rolls. I don't think you tried them yet?"

"I haven't."

"Well, I can always reserve you some. I think you'll like them," Rosé offered, still working as she spoke.

"Be careful," Lisa said anxiously, sucking in a breath as the knife danced across the board in Rosé's skilful grip.

"I am, don't worry. Besides, you're here now, you'll take care of me if I slice my finger off, right?" She laughed at Lisa's wide eyes. "Joke, baby, joke. Here, would you like to try?"

She chuckled again when Lisa shook her head violently. "Okay, okay. I'll be with you soon, unless you're gonna stay and watch?"

"Can I help with something else?"

Rosé beamed and quickly directed Lisa to the pile of wrappers soaking in a bowl. "Okay so these have been soaking a while so they should be good to go. No pressure alright? Go at your pace."

Humming, she turned back to her task when she noticed Lisa standing still and looking utterly lost as she gazed down at the bowls and plates in front of her.

"Oh baby, you don't know how? Why didn't you say so? I just assumed you knew, my bad. It's okay."

Lisa reddened, pressing her lips together. Her shoulders sagged when Rosé reached out and kissed her sweetly on her cheek to reassure her, rubbing her back.

"I'm useless," Lisa sighed. "I'm wasting your time."

"Nonsense. You never got to make spring rolls before," Rosé said firmly, "so come on, let's do them together."

She moved behind Lisa, nestling close and rested her chin on Lisa's shoulder. She took Lisa's hands in hers to show her the technique of wrapping. In doing so, she may or may not have subtly brushed up closer to Lisa's body, chest flattened against Lisa's back, to see her reaction.

"Is this okay?"

Lisa bobbed her head and swallowed but her spine was rigid.

"Babe, relax, this isn't rocket science you know. Or do you need some help relaxing, hmm?" Rosé whispered next to her ear, giggling wickedly when Lisa shivered. Her girlfriend seemed especially sensitive today, making Rosé wonder what had transpired since their trip to the hospital.

"I'm okay. You...you can start, I'll follow," Lisa squeaked. Rosé was dying to nibble her ear and see what would happen but she decided to have some mercy and get on with making spring rolls, although right now they were the last thing on her mind. Being this close to Lisa with full permission to touch without the awkward tension that used to grip them before was delightful.

Rosé lifted their hands, directing like an orchestra conductor and speaking clearly as she went over the steps, gently repeating the instructions while Lisa fiddled frantically, her cheeks aflame.

"Lisa, sweetie, it's okay, I promise. Slow down. Now, let's try that again," Rosé said patiently each time the final roll turned out underwhelming.

Lisa fumbled a little as she did her best to follow, but she concentrated fiercely, Rosé could see her out of the corner of her eyes, the way her girlfriend's gaze tracked their moving hands, memorising the order of ingredients and the steps to wrap the spring roll. Soon enough, Lisa had managed to wrap her first spring roll without tearing the wrapper or the whole roll coming undone.

"Yes!" Lisa crowed triumphantly. "I did it!"

"You got it," Rosé beamed and pecked her cheek, "I knew you would." She wrapped her arms around Lisa's middle and kissed her neck, smiling when Lisa shivered. Despite the AC, she could still feel the heat radiating off Lisa's body.

"Let's see you do some more, baby," Rosé purred, this time pressing a firm kiss to her jaw and enjoying the way her girlfriend's breath hitched.

"I um...I have to focus," Lisa blurted out.

"Well, go ahead then, focus." Hiding a smirk, Rosé dropped a kiss on her shoulder and played with the hem of her shirt. "Hmm, you're so stiff babes. You sure you're okay? Would you like a massage afterwards?"

"Um...no I'm good...I...Rosie please..." Lisa's eyes slammed shut when Rosé paid no attention and kissed softly behind her ear, humming as she trailed her lips down the nape of her neck, lightly stroking the skin she could reach beneath the hem of her shirt.

"Hmm? What is it baby? Do you want me to show you again?"

She giggled when Lisa dropped the wrapper and clutched at her arms instead, halting all movement.

"Rosie..."

Rosé immediately straightened, recognising the plea in Lisa's voice to be more than just her usual bout of whining when she was being teased. "Lisa?"

She swiftly turned her around and cupped her face worriedly. "Baby, what is it? Talk to me."

Lisa's lips trembled but she looked away with a conflicted face. Her lack of response only served to heighten Rosé's suspicions.

"Hey. Hey, it's okay. Come here." 

She wrapped her arms around Lisa and hugged her close. It took only a few heartbeats for Lisa to mirror her, burying her face in Rosé's neck and sighing, the tension seeping out of her body the longer they lingered in the hug.

Rosé turned her head and tentatively kissed Lisa's cheek. "Do you want to go to the couch? It's more comfortable."

"I've become really good friends with that couch," Lisa mumbled, pulling a snort from Rosé. Lisa lifted her head, her eyes bright but she had her old smile back.

Rosé stroked her cheek, thumb running over the corner of her mouth repeatedly. "There's that smile I love."

"Can I kiss you?" Lisa asked timidly.

"I thought you were on a kissing ban," Rosé chuckled. Her eyes fluttered close when Lisa's mouth pressed against hers and she welcomed the familiar warmth that she had missed, claiming her lips with utmost gentleness. 

They migrated to the couch, still giving each other soft kisses as they sat down, before Rosé reluctantly pulled back and looked at her girlfriend expectantly.

"Much as I enjoy kissing you, I think we should talk about...what's on your mind," she said gently. "Putting it off won't help anything. I'm here, and I want to help anyway I can. Take your time."

Lisa sighed before wordlessly leaning against her and laying her head on her shoulder. She hummed appreciatively when Rosé leaned against her as well and started stroking her head.

"Jennie and I fought," Lisa muttered.

"I assumed," Rosé said, remembering Lisa's sour face when Jennie cropped up in conversation. "What about?"

It took longer for Lisa to reply this time but Rosé waited patiently as they sat in the empty room, the only sound being their breathing and the stereo.

"It's about..." Lisa trailed off, troubled.

"About me, right?" Rosé said softly, letting it sink in. 

Lisa inhaled sharply but didn't deny. 

"I don't get it," she burst out suddenly. "One moment Nini's saying she's okay with us, the next, she flips! And it's not hormones, I know for sure, it's nowhere near her time, I know because she's due like three days after me and then you should see the amount of blood and pads in the bin, holy bagels when you got two girls bleeding at the same time it piles up like a mountain and—"

She broke off and groaned. "You get the idea. I don't get her anymore, she's like a stranger now. She was always bossy but that's for a reason, she manages stuff around the Vault so of course she gotta be the boss but bringing you into the mix...that's not on!"

"What did she say?"

Lisa huffed. "I don't want to say the words again, it was hurtful, but she was being snippy and...and it's almost like she's jealous of you. Why would she ever feel like that? It's so stupid!"

Rosé's brow furrowed. "There must be some reason though. Last time she seemed supportive of us. What changed?"

"My injury," Lisa said heavily, "that's what's changed. And before that...well, she had been pushing for me to come for pilates, and now she's doing it again wanting to go into the Grand Slam and—oh heck."

She sat up guiltily when she realised her slip, meeting Rosé's icy gaze head on. She gulped as Rosé pursed her lips.

"Jennie still wants you to go in for the Grand Slam against medical advice, even though you could injure yourself worse?" she said in a hard voice. "Has she gone mad?"

"Where are you going?" said Lisa in alarm when Rosé shot up from the sofa and marched to the door.

"I'm going to have a word with her," Rosé snarled, jamming her feet in shoes. "Who the hell gives her the right to order you around like you're some—some dumb animal with no feelings at all!"

 Lisa was speechless—the last she had seen Rosé this upset was when she had demanded Jennie to give Lisa a break from working out all day in preparation for a Purge match. 

The memory of that confrontation had Lisa's blood run cold—if Rosé faced Jennie again today, heads will surely roll. She ignored the rush of gratitude for her girlfriend staunchly defending her against her sister and leapt forward to stop her.

"No no no no no no let's not be hasty now," Lisa said hastily as she plucked out the other shoe from Rosé's hand before she could put it on, "Rosie please, it's nothing—"

"Nothing? Lisa, you can get seriously hurt!" Rosé barked. "Jennie's being incredibly insensitive and emotionally manipulating and you still want to justify her behaviour?"

"I know but I can handle it, I—"

"Jennie keeps pushing you because you never tell her no! She has to stop doing that, you're your own person, old enough to make your own decisions and put down your foot. You're allowed to discuss things and hold your ground, not let her stamp all over you!" Rosé advanced on her with a grim expression, hand out. "Give me back my shoe."

"No."

"Lisa—"

"I agree with everything you just said, but talking to her when you're all worked up like this isn't the solution!" Lisa said desperately. "What are you going to do, duke it out in the middle of the Vault?"

"If it means knocking some sense into her, I will! Now give me back my shoe."

Lisa shook her head, holding the shoe high above their heads as she walked backwards. "Rosie, violence doesn't solve anything, right? You told me that."

Rosé froze, hand falling to her side as clarity returned. "I...I did."

Lisa handed over the shoe with a tentative smile. "So...let's not go anywhere just yet. Let's talk some more. And besides, it's my fight, right? It's me Jennie has to listen to."

Somewhat impressed, Rosé felt the inevitable smile forming at the corner of her lips. "You've got me there. When did you get so wise?"

"I have this smoking hot teacher," Lisa answered huskily, "she's really smart. I've done my best to learn what I could."

"Hmm, I think you're doing a great job so far. Tell that teacher to give you a star," Rosé said seriously.

"Is that a code-word for giving me a hickey?"

Lisa laughed and ducked when Rosé swatted at her. 

"Hey come back here!"

"Nope, catch me first!"

Soon they were squealing and chasing each other to the couch once more (almost tripping over the cats that wanted to join in to play) where they crumpled in a breathless heap, kisses raining down freely as Rosé straddled the girl beneath her and pinned her arms above her head, savouring the sound of Lisa's giggles as she nosed along her jaw.

"So naughty," Rosé murmured when their laughter abated.

"It's part of my charm, babe," Lisa smirked, back to her old bravado. "It can't be stopped."

"I have a few ideas how to do just that."

"Oh yeah? Care to show me?"

"It will be my pleasure." She fitted her mouth to Lisa's and true to her word, peace reigned once more in the apartment. They kissed for a while, now free of the tension that cloaked them since Lisa's arrival. 

Rosé's hands dropped to caress Lisa's face as they made out, the pleasant sensation of their bodies pressing close together feeling comfortable and natural whilst they skirted around the more intimate escalation of events. There was no rush, no primal instinct to tear off their clothes although of course the desire and lust, the need to be skin to skin with Lisa, to touch her and taste her, simmered at the back of Rosé's mind.

Lisa even got bold enough to slip her hands beneath Rosé's shirt and trail her fingers up the knobs of her spine, making Rosé falter as she instinctively arched back.

"Mmm Lisa..."

With great reluctance she paused their makeout session to turn back to the pressing issue at hand and sat up, panting slightly. Lisa beneath her looked a sight, hooded eyes cloudy with arousal. It took all of Rosé's willpower not to lean down and kiss her to oblivion.

"Baby, I still don't like how she's pushing you to enter the Grand Slam when you're still injured. The doc gave you three months minimum to recover and that means absolutely no fighting."

Lisa fidgeted. "Well...I might heal..."

Rosé's voice hardened. "So you'd go in?"

"It's not like that." Lisa took her hands pleadingly. "We do need the money, Rosie. Nini slaves away at the diner but I'm the one bringing in the money."

"I thought Jisoo was going to help."

"Jennie won't accept. She doesn't want to," Lisa said sadly. "And I understand that. But I don't know how to change her mind. She's dead-set on this."

"She's willing to go all out for the remote chance that even one-handed, you'd win the Grand Slam?" Rosé frowned. "Jennie's practical, but this smacks of desperation to me. She's not thinking."

"Funny, because she said I'm the one's that not thinking."

"We should tell Jisoo. Jennie listens to her. Maybe Jisoo will knock some sense into her, make her listen and swallow her stupid pride—"

"Rosie, she's scared, that's all," Lisa said quietly.

"Of what? Of not winning? Of losing out on cash money? Okay yes I'll give it to her, not having money sucks because I've been there. But it's no excuse to treat you like this and force you against your will!"

"She's scared of losing me."

Rosé almost snorted. "What?"

"Think about it," Lisa said thoughtfully. "You heard her when she found us together in the morning."

"Lisa, I was just waking up! You can't expect me to be functioning in the morning baby, all I know is that I was so elated that you were still there on top of me."

Lisa chuckled and snuggled up against Rosé. "She admitted it. She said she was scared I was growing up and not needing her anymore. And now that I'm injured, she would have nothing to do at all if I'm not training and spending my time with you. It checks out."

"Um...so it means that justifies her being a douche?"

"Rosie!"

"I'm sorry but she's acting like one," Rosé retorted.

"She's scared," Lisa said quietly. "Hearing her say that...she never admitted anything like that before."

Rosé kept quiet, sensing that Lisa wanted to say more. 

"She's...she's like a cornered animal lashing out," Lisa said thoughtfully, "or she's like a drowning person, clutching at straws."

Rosé turned over this analogy in her head, trying to apply it to Lisa's brooding sister. "Well, she'll take you down with her if you're not careful."

"That's the thing. She's scared that now you're here, you'll pull me out of the water but nobody will pull her out. She's hanging on to me because I'm her lifejacket and she has nothing else."

"So you're gonna let her drag you down?"

Lisa shook her head, determined. "We need to help pull her up, all of us. She's my sister, and she needs to get over the idea that I could somehow turn my back on her. No matter what she thinks of me or you or anyone. I could never leave her."

Rosé stared, her face softening in wonder. "Wow."

"What?"

"It's just...I don't think I could be like that."

"Like what?" Lisa frowned.

"So...so compassionate. Still kind, even when your own sister is being a jerk."

"She's family," Lisa shrugged. "She puts up with me, I put up with her, and we help each other when we can. That's family, right?"

Rosé shook her head. "I wouldn't really know." She turned away and squeezed her eyes shut, remembering her father, remembering Taehyung, remembering Yang, remembering Tiger King.

Family...the only family she had was Ella. Everyone else had only come into her life to either rob her of any dignity she salvaged or else hand her more pain.

Lisa's callused hand rested on hers, dry but comforting. "I just don't see the point of holding a grudge. She's scared and thinks she's all alone now and she's been bottling everything up for so long I think she's forgotten she can lean on other people. I know Irene tries her best, and Jisoo is working on it, but Jennie just rejects everyone. We're going to change that."

Hearing the determination in her voice made Rosé smile, made her thread their fingers together and give her hand a tight squeeze to say I'm with you all the way.

Lisa smiled too, getting the message. "I think your idea of involving Jisoo sounds good too. We should talk about it with her after the concert."

"Sounds like a plan. I just worry about her pressuring you against your will."

"Don't be. I can handle it," Lisa said earnestly, brown eyes mirroring her.

"Alright then, we'll talk after Ella's concert." Satisfied for the time being, Rosé pulled Lisa close, pausing to look at her with a fond smile.

"What? What is it?" 

Rosé shook her head with a hum. "Nothing. I was just thinking...you're such a good person, Lisa. The best I ever met. I mean it."

"Yeah?" Lisa asked happily.

Rosé couldn't help but kiss her.

"Definitely."

>

Jinyoung stood at the window, gazing out with his hands behind his back.

"And what of Yang?" he asked the Jay standing in the middle of the room briefing his boss (his actual original boss) on the various operations running simultaneously.

"Keeping a close eye on him as you asked. He's getting more impatient and also more confident now that he pulled off the first phase of the operation on his own steam."

"Let him think he is in control, for now. He is an old man who thinks seniority grants him certain prestige. We can humour him for a little while longer while he does our dirty work for us."

 Jinyoung smiled, thinking back to the grizzly man that had been so suspicious of brokering a deal before, but now carelessly threw all caution to the wind, all for the sake of having his revenge. He was convinced he was back to calling the shots, thanks to the army of Jays that Jinyoung so generously loaned him.

Quite a relief he had managed to unearth Yang's weakness, Jinyoung thought. He had expected for the older criminal veteran to be a tougher nut to crack.

But one mention of Tiger King, and the fearsome mob boss Yang Hyun Suk was eating out of his hands.

Sometimes Jinyoung thought it was too easy. But then again, he had to remind himself that Yang's obsession was quite justified—Tiger King had wrecked him, not just his appearance but his reputation as well. 

And in a world where money, power and respect hinged on the concept of a person's reputation, it could make or break a man. In one fell swoop, Yang lost his credibility as the most feared crime lord of Seoul. Of course, he still maintained sway but his reach diminished considerably until Jinyoung had stepped in and offered to join forces.

Everyone had their reasons for seeking out Tiger King—most wanted to claim the bounty on his head; others thirsted for the power such an assassin would bring to their ranks; others feared for their lives and wanted him dead once and for all;  still others were after the glory that came with the name.

Yang was the only one Jinyoung knew that was seeking Tiger King for vendetta.

"Keep an eye out for any indication that he might try something without my knowledge, Jay-J, that is all I ask," Jinyoung said.

"As a matter of fact, there was actually something that puzzled me about his recent orders..."

"Yes?"

"When he contacted Ringmaster, he asked for someone else before settling for what Ringmaster sent instead, since the response came back negative." Jay-J thumbed through his phone. "A certain Kim Taehyung."

Jinyoung let out a quiet chuckle. "Oh yes, I was informed. I was curious to see what he wanted to do with his drug mule's ex but plans fell through. He wasn't ready to be out in the field."

"Sir?"

"Never mind. Now, I reviewed the footage that Jay-W captured of the alley fight. What did Rosé have to say about her little encounter?"

"She hasn't done anything yet or indicated that she suspected Yang was behind it. They haven't met in person either, yet. Her monthly meeting with him is in a few weeks."

"Hmm. Maybe it's just as well. Maybe she doesn't suspect anything yet. We must do our utmost to keep it that way, understood?"

"Of course sir."

Jinyoung turned to face Jay-J fully. "Did our informant at the police depot make contact?"

"He has. He said he planted the information you asked. His superior, the one that's also in charge of the security guards' murder, Detective Park, seems to have taken the bait and he's currently seeking leads."

"Excellent," Jinyoung smiled brightly, "if I play this right, I might have the police do the job of taking care of Yang for me. Anything else?"

"That will be all."

"Good. Remember your tasks, tell Jay-W to keep a sharp lookout for Lisa and Rosé's movements, and I'll see you for the next report brief. You're dismissed."

Jay-J bowed and left, leaving Jinyoung alone once more in his stately office. 

It was naturally more spacious than his more personal lair back at Rkive, with elegance oozing out of every cabinet and glassware that furnished it. Jinyoung cared little for such trappings—this was his father's office. Jinyoung only used it to keep up appearances and to host business dignitaries in it during the week. It was hollow as a shell, blank and empty, just like the JYP headquarters it was housed in. The portraits on the wall—all boasting some name of some old master—meant little to Jinyoung.

All he cared for right now was Tiger King. And he was slowly, slowly homing in on his target, like a spider waiting to catch its prey in its web.

He just had to make sure all the pieces were slotted in place before he took action. Meticulous to a fault, Jinyoung wasn't in much of a rush to hurry up investigations, unlike his impatient older partner who demanded to take the reins. But Jinyoung held firm: he knew he was ahead of anyone else in the search for the elusive killer—he had concrete tangible leads.

Soon, he said, smiling to himself, as he glanced out of the window towards the busy city sweeping before him. Soon, all of Seoul will be mine.

Jinyoung poured himself some water, sipping slowly as he waited for his next appointment, which was, according to his schedule on the table, in fifteen minutes. Sometimes the list of meetings and appointments were never-ending.

He loosened his tie, hankering for a distraction of some kind.

Jisoo never called back, he sighed. Maybe she really wasn't interested?

Shame, he had taken quite a (wholly unromantic) interest in her. Although she was indeed beautiful and he certainly wouldn't say no if she asked to sleep together, he couldn't say that he felt any chemistry between them; it would be a pointless tryst. Besides, she claimed she was homosexual. He didn't try to pursue her; partly for this reason, partly because he was busy and partly because he didn't want her to think he was interested in dating her.

Still, he had found Jisoo to be charming and quirky, and was curious to see more. But Lisa's trainer, Jennie, probably scared her off. She had seemed very territorial, her sickly sweet polite tone when she spoke with him made Jinyoung inwardly cringe because she wasn't fooling anyone—Jennie Kim hated his guts with a passion. 

His face darkened now as he remembered how the girl had snapped up his precious assets right in front of his nose and ferrying them away while he was unable to stop her.

But no matter, he thought smugly, remembering his phone call with Jackson earlier, I still got what I wanted in the end. I took what I needed from right under her nose too.

If he was being entirely honest, he had a wholly unromantic interest in Jennie as well, a kind of magnetic pull that he couldn't quite explain. It wasn't attraction at all but on some deeper level, he could, strangely enough, see himself reflected back in her. It was most peculiar, but extremely intriguing. 

Both girls had often appeared in his thoughts, circling after each other whenever he sat vacantly, demanding his attention.

Jinyoung finished his water and came to a decision.

Though he had plenty of ongoing investigations following several persons of interest, adding two more to the list couldn't hurt: Jisoo and Jennie, he felt, would be worth it.

Coincidentally, both their names started with a J, just like his. He liked that.

Though his prime focus of interest still was Jisoo, Jennie would probably prove to be more useful because of her proximity to Lisa. She was a more challenging enigma than Jisoo, a tougher nut to crack.

And Jinyoung, he liked cracking tough nuts the most.

*******************

uh oh jenlisa, some chaelisa fluff, and hmm what is jinyoung up to? ;P

hope you enjoy!

thanks for reading, voting and commenting!

not sure when the next update will be, got a lot of work coming up but i'll do my best :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.2K 1.3K 19
The hero disappears overnight and the only one who looks is the villain. Not their "friends", not their family, not the reporters or any of the peopl...
769K 23.4K 62
[Fck Buddies] It wasn't like she had a choice in this matter. She knows she never had a choice anyways. After all, that girl was irresistible, who is...
20.1K 1.6K 20
In a world full of Jisoo's, There is only one Unmarried Kim Jisoo, a small time journalist in a small newspaper company on Jeju Island. And she wants...
72.2K 2.6K 30
tells the poignant tale of childhood sweethearts, Jennie and Lisa, whose paths diverged when Lisa's family faced financial hardships, forcing her to...