Another Tale Of A Nine Tailed

By WooJeongRang

So Yi Jeong has everything. A loving mother, the sweetest boyfriend, a dream job, - his life couldn't be more... More

Chapter 1: A wind of change
Chapter 2: Shadows
Chapter 3: Nothing to worry about
Chapter 4: The Snail Bride
Chapter 5: About foxes and other monsters
Chapter 6: Doppelgรคnger
Chapter 7: The Brother
Chapter 8: Gumiho
Chapter 9: Dog on demand
Chapter 10: Greetings from the past life
Chapter 11: Fight the bad feeling
Chapter 12: Game changer
Chapter 13: Misery
Chapter 14: Reunion part 1
Chapter 15: Rang
Chapter 16: Reunion part 2
Chapter 17: Like Family
Chapter 19: The Wise Magpie
Chapter 20 - Just gone
Chapter 21 - Glow in the dark
Chapter 22: Shards
Chapter 23: Days without you
Chapter 24: Song Woo Bin
Chapter 25: Yi Jeong
Chapter 26: Found and ready to get picked up

Chapter 18: Seven Days

100 10 25
By WooJeongRang

Woo Bin was running through the night, all the way to the park. He had only one thought on his mind. Becoming the partner Yi Jeong deserved.
Deep inside, he knew he was enough for him just like the way he was, but he wanted more for Yi Jeong.
He was the one who saved him from loneliness.
The one who always loved him unconditionally. Yi Jeong was a Gumiho who already picked his partner. He was stuck with him and it wasn't fair to shorten his life or leave him behind with a broken heart that can never be repaired by someone else.
This was his chance to become an equal.

"Misery!!" Woo Bin yelled and stopped to catch a breath. He looked around, but felt dizzy from the sudden turn. He was tired and though he didn't drink too much because he had been driving, the alcohol was in his system.

"Misery?"

Woo Bin kept running deeper into the darker part of the park, trying to find the spot where he met her for the first time. The panic he felt crawling through his veins after he just couldn't find her was his proof for doing the right thing. At least, it felt like the only choice he had.

"Misery... please..." he almost whined and slowed down, taking a deep breath.
Until this moment, over the past days, he always had the feeling, she was lurking somewhere in the shadows. He could feel her presents, even if he tried not to think about her.
Maybe it was really too late now. Maybe he was doomed to live with the constant knowledge, that he would kill the one he loved most one day.

Woo Bin turned around and almost got a heart attack, because Misery was standing right there in front of him.

"You changed your mind?" she asked hoarsely.

"You're still here.." Woo Bin said out of pure relief and went down on his knees to be on the same eye level as her.

"I need to ask you some questions.. are you willing to answer them?"

"Do I have a choice? My time is up anyways.."

The old woman sat down on the ground, because she wasn't strong enough to stand any longer and Woo Bin did the same. He looked around nervously, but she reassured him.

"Don't worry... Even if someone will come to this park at this late hour, no one will see us. Consider yourself under my spell." she smiled and Woo Bin took a deep breath, not feeling much safer.
The way she said it would have sounded flirty and charming, but she looked like a 200 year old turtle and the attempt wasn't quite working.

"What are you...?" Woo Bin didn't ask if she was a fairy on purpose. He wouldn't give her the chance to answer just what he wanted to hear. "Are you a ghost?"

She sighed.
"People give me lot's of names but.. most common would be calling me a fairy. One of the good kinds, because your trust in me will give you great rewards. But to make it happen, we have to trust each other."

Woo Bin stared into his lap and nodded.

"How long would it take until I'm back?"

"I will bring you back immediately but.. I can't lead you. I won't know where you wake up. You have to find home on your own and I will never find you again."

Woo Bin was lost in thoughts for a moment. He knew he shouldn't do this without talking to anyone about it. It was a decision he had to make together with Yi Jeong.
On the other hand.. Yi Jeong had just decided to die with him, leaving him no choice at all.
It wasn't an act to get back at him, though. They both wanted the same.
Stay together and not living without the other.
He would probably do the same, but this was the chance for them to stay alive.
To be together forever or at least for as long as a half Gumiho would live. And he could be the one to stay alive and find his reincarnation.
There were many things to consider, pros and cons.
If he would start to discuss this with Yi Jeong now, maybe the chance would be gone and they would regret it.

"How do I know you don't trick me..."

"We'll both sign a contract. I found you before, but you didn't want to take the deal. You didn't want to be reborn as anything. Still.. here you are. What you need to be reborn as a Gumiho, you have it in you. I'll make it happen. It's a one time deal. I can do it only once. If I break the contract, I will die immediately.
Song Woo Bin... You have to decide now. You must have a purpose in this world. That's why you're still here."

"How many years do I have left? Do you know?"

The fairy touched his arm lightly, closed her eyes and breathed in deeply.

"48." she said and he frowned.
"Wait... I won't even reach 80? 48 years... Yi Jeong is supposed to live hundreds of years... not 48 more..."

"You already made your decision haven't you?"

Woo Bin saw glowing lines appearing in the air, swirling around in front of his eyes until they ended up in the shape of a paper. The letters appeared the same way, whirling around like a little tornado, then they rested on the paper.

Song Woo Bin is agreeing to trade his remaining years for being reborn as a Gumiho in the current time. Misery is assuring his wish will be granted right after she received his full life-span, or she will die on the spot.

Misery signed first, just with her fingertip.

Woo Bin nodded. "Please don't trick me... I'm just trying to save someone who is loved by many from committing suicide because of me."

A single tear ran down his cheek while he signed the contract the same way Misery did before.
"If I'm not coming back... forgive me, babe..." he mumbled and watched his name appearing on the paper before the contract suddenly puffed out, leaving a tiny purple cloud in the air that slowly vanished.

Misery offered him her hands and he took them, trying not to think anything at all.
He closed his eyes and pictured Yi Jeong's face. His smile was the last thing he wanted to see.
The fairy's hands were warm and felt good, almost comforting. He didn't feel like dying while she soaked up the years he had left to live.

Suddenly, Misery ripped her hands out of his and screamed so high pitched that Woo Bin had to cover his ears. Even the sound waves seemed to attack him physically.
When he blinked to look at what was happening, Misery was high up in the air.
She wasn't an old turtle anymore, she had regained her youth and full beauty already, but something felt very wrong.

"LIAR!" Misery screamed and Woo Bin flinched.
She dashed through the air, grabbed him by his throat and pinned him against the closest tree.
Woo Bin coughed and tried to free himself from her grip, but she was too strong.

"You pathetic little shit.." she hissed. "Who set you up to kill me?"

"I don't understand... please.. What's happening?" he asked hoarsely, his eyes full of fear and confusion.
His legs were kicking the air while he tried to wind himself out of her grip and she slowly lowered him to the ground and released him.
Woo Bin dropped on his knees, held his throat and coughed while trying to breathe.

"You had no idea.." she whispered and he looked up with pure terror in his eyes.
"What are you talking about? I saw myself as Gumiho in my past life... you said I have all I needed in me, I trusted you! You know my past me better than I do! At least that's the impression you gave me..."

"You're missing something.. something essential. Even if you're human now, you should have been reborn with a fox bead.. You haven't."

"A fox bead?" Woo Bin remembered it from Yi Jeong's past life. Rang had traded his life-span to get Yeon's fox bead back. They needed that thing to bring him back. And now she needed Woo Bin to have his to bring him back as Gumiho.

"What now?" he asked and looked at her helplessly.

"Without it, I can't bring you back.. We're both dead."

-

Yi Jeong woke up as abrupt as he fell asleep. He let his fingers run through his hair and looked around.

"Woo Bin-Ah?" he mumbled, rolled out of bed and waddled into the living room.
He rubbed his eyes and just stood there for a moment, knowing Woo Bin wasn't in the apartment.
The senses he developed were too sharp, since he was a full trained Gumiho.
His eyes met the fox on the table, who certainly wasn't sitting there before and for some reason, he had a bad gut feeling, when he walked closer and saw the note.
Yi Jeong had no reasonable explanation why Woo Bin had to leave again so late and where he would go.

He sat down, unfolded the note with shaky hands and his heart skipped a beat, when he read the first lines.

My Yi Jeong..

I don't have much time to find the right words. And you know how picky I am with words...
I have to do something. I can't wait any longer because it's a now or never opportunity..
If it goes wrong, you will probably hate me, because it means I won't come back to you.
But if it works, I will come back as an equal. I will be the partner you deserve and you will never have to take your own life because of me.
I love you. I love you so much, I won't ever be able to find words to describe it.
You saved me and now I have to save you from doing something stupid, by doing something stupid.

Wait for me.

Woo Bin

Yi Jeong dropped the note and dashed out of the house. Outside, he switched to his fox form as if it was the most natural thing in the world. He was faster and a better tracker like that and was following Woo Bin's scent until he reached the park, where he turned back to his human form.
He was only slightly out of breath and kept running. He knew he was close and he was terrified of what was awaiting him.

Yi Jeong slowed down as he saw Woo Bin, sitting on a bench, his face buried in his palms.
He let out a shaky breath and jogged the rest of the distance.

"Woo Bin-Ah..." he said softly and Woo Bin lifted up his head, looking at him with empty eyes.

"Hey.." Yi Jeong knelt down in front of him, rested his arms on his lap and took his hands in his.
"What the hell is going on?" he whispered and squeezed Woo Bin's hands when they started to tremble. "Talk to me."

Woo Bin was quiet for a little longer, then he said dryly: "I messed up big time." His sad eyes found Yi Jeong's and he blinked away a tear.

"You can tell me everything, you know that. What was that nonsense letter you left me?"

"48 years..." Woo Bin said quietly, "That's all we would have had left. I wanted more.. and now I'm dead."

"You're not dead. You're sitting right in front of me.. Can you please at least try to make sense?"

Misery's words echoed in Woo Bin's mind.

You have seven days to find your fox bead. That's the life span you have left. We meet again in seven days, right here. If you don't bring it, you will just vanish into the unknown. No one has ever returned from there.

"I don't know where to start..." Woo Bin said and looked so desperate, it broke Yi Jeong's heart.

"How about from the beginning? I'm here. I will listen. And whatever it is, we will figure it out. We always do, right?" Yi Jeong tried a smile but the look on Woo Bin's face told him, it was bad and it scared him to death, but he tried to not show it.

"Okay.. From the beginning.." Woo Bin took a deep breath. "When you left with Yeon, I got so depressed, because I realized how different our lives would develop from now on.. I got drunk and went for a walk. I ended up in this park and here, I met this weird old lady...I met her more than once after that. I got the feeling she knew me from my past and she implied that I indeed have been a Gumiho in my previous life and she offered me a deal. I tried to ignore her until tonight.. I knew she was dying and I finally looked at myself through those glasses.."

Yi Jeong was listening carefully. He had his head rested on Woo Bin's lap and never let go if his hands.
Once more, he started to be mad at himself for not paying enough attention. There was so much going on in their lives recently but again, he had failed to see the signs. He should have asked more about the encounter on the way to the flower shop. He noticed that something was bothering Woo Bin the whole evening, but he had just decided to not bother him.
He was sleeping, while Woo Bin was alone with all his fears.. making this horrible decision.

".. she left me with that.. and then you showed up. And here we are." Woo Bin ended his story without missing any detail, not daring to look at Yi Jeong.

"So, you're telling me we have seven days to find a thing you lost somewhere on this planet, in your past life and if we don't, you will die without ever coming back?" Yi Jeong summarized quietly and Woo Bin nodded.

"Exactly. Told you, I messed up. Yi Jeong, I..."

Yi Jeong hushed him and got back on his feet, offering a hand to help Woo Bin up, who looked at him with huge eyes.

"Come." Yi Jeong said and Woo Bin slowly took his hand and let himself be pulled along.

"Aren't you mad? Can't you at least yell at me? Punch me? Yi Jeong!"

"Seven days, right? I don't have time for that. We have to start searching for your fox bead."

"But..."

Yi Jeong stopped and turned around, cupping Woo Bin's face in his hands. He looked deep into his eyes and said:

"No. There's no way you're not here anymore in seven days, do you understand how crazy that sounds? And if I have to turn the whole world upside down, I will find it. You're gonna be back as a Gumiho."

Just saying that out loud felt unbelievable, but Yi Jeong had no time to be happy about the fact that Woo Bin really had been a Gumiho in his past life. Not that he cared what Woo Bin was, but he knew now more than ever, that it had bothered him too much to ever get over it.

"Believe me. I'm mad. I hate myself for telling you that I would go with you. It was my mistake and I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry I made you feel this awful. I though if I told you our idea of how our life should go wouldn't change, it would make you feel better. I was so wrong and I see it now. I don't even know if I understood everything you just told me but I know we have no time to waste. We go home, grab those glasses and we go see Yeon and ask him for help."

"Babe.. don't load this onto you. I should have talked to you but I was scared you would talk me out of it. When I found out I could actually be like you..."

"I know..." Yi Jeong kissed Woo Bin and leaned his forehead against his, closing his eyes. "I know.." he whispered and Woo Bin started sobbing. "I'm so sorry.."

"I know.. don't worry about it.. We'll figure this out." Yi Jeong promised and hugged Woo Bin so tight, as if he feared he would vanish on the spot if he didn't.

"I'm scared.." Woo Bin hiccuped against his shoulder and Yi Jeong needed all his strength to not burst into tears together with him.

"Me too.." he confessed silently and held him a little longer until he squeezed him tight one more time. He shoved him a bit away, stole another kiss and turned his back on him.

"Hop on. No time to waste." he said once more and Woo Bin wiped away his tears, nodded and climbed on his boyfriend's back.

Back at home, Yi Jeong placed Woo Bin on the couch and got a hand mirror and the glasses from the bathroom.

"Here. You start looking through your past life. I need a cold shower, the few minutes I slept just made me feel worse."

"Okay.." Woo Bin said so quietly, Yi Jeong was sure with his former human ears, he wouldn't have heard him say anything at all.

"Hey.." Yi Jeong said softly and Woo Bin looked up. "If we don't find it in seven days, I will keep looking until the day I die naturally. I will get you back. I wanted to go with you to end our journey in this life together and start the next at the same time. I will find you anyway, so stop worrying and start looking." he smiled but the moment he turned around to enter the bathroom, the smile on his face vanished.
The thought alone of losing Woo Bin in seven days was so absurd. It felt unreal but at the same time, somewhere deep inside, he already understood that it was happening.
This was a real nightmare and with or without the fox bead, Woo Bin's life... this life... would end in seven days.

"Seven..days.." Yi Jeong mumbled to himself. He just walked into the shower with all his clothes on and turned on the water so Woo Bin wouldn't hear, when he finally allowed himself to cry.

He still tried to not make a sound at all by biting the back of his hand, but whined every time he had to catch a breath. He had to pull himself together.
Yi Jeong tried to get his breathing under control, leaned back against the wall and closed his eyes.
That day had been so perfectly beautiful..
Yi Jeong had been looking forward to how their lives would develop, now with that new family they found.
Speaking of family... how was he supposed to tell his mom? Even if they would find the bead... Woo Bin would have to die in seven days and then he had no idea when he would find him again...
It would break her heart... They had to come up with some story...

Seven days...

That number was whirling around in Yi Jeong's mind over and over. Not years, not decades...days.

168 hours minus the one they already wasted. They had to sleep at least 4 hours a day...

"Shut up.." Yi Jeong told himself and slapped his forehead a few times to silence his way too conscious mind.

"This is not happening..." he took a few deep breaths and decided it was time to focus on the search, not the worst case scenario.
He left the shower, peeled himself out of the wet clothes and slipped into the bathrobe. He rubbed his hair only until it wasn't dripping anymore and combed it back before returning to Woo Bin, who immediately lowered the glasses he was looking through, when he heard Yi Jeong enter the room.

"Any success?" Yi Jeong asked and Woo Bin shook his head.

"The only thing I found out so far, is that I was a really, really sad fox... and pathetic.."

"That's because we haven't met, yet. Of course you were sad.." Yi Jeong settled next to him and kissed his cheek.

"I'm sorry I didn't talk to you.." Woo Bin said quietly and Yi Jeong leaned his head against his shoulder.
"I'm sorry I didn't let you have a choice.." he replied.

"Your hair is wet..." Woo Bin complained quietly and Yi Jeong cracked a smile.

"I get dressed, then we go back to Yu Ri's house." he nudged Woo Bin's cheek with the tip of his nose and got up.

Woo Bin sighed.

"Yeah. I'm sure they will love to see us back so soon with our mind-blowing news."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 10.5K 65
Yunho & San fell in love, but circumstances saw them torn apart. Will they ever find their way back to each other? โœงเผโ”‰โ”‰หš*โ‹ โ‹ โ‹*หšโ”‰โ”‰เผโœง Story Status: Co...
20.8K 1K 11
๐‘ฐ๐’Œ๐’Š๐’ˆ๐’‚๐’Š - ๐ด ๐‘…๐‘’๐‘Ž๐‘ ๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ ๐ต๐‘’๐‘–๐‘›๐‘” (๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ) ๐ด ๐‘๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘’ ๐‘ก๐‘œ ๐‘™๐‘–๐‘ฃ๐‘’ For jungkook , taehyung is his ' ๐ผ๐‘˜๐‘–๐‘”๐‘Ž๐‘– ' Where a...
175K 13K 43
"I'm sorry if I'm bothering you. But I just want to be your friend." "Do you think I don't see the heart eyes you make everytime you look at me? You...
37.3K 2.9K 25
"Excuse me, do I know you? " A love life to be written in books, that was literally how our love life was. But life isn't always the same right? Eve...