𝐑𝐨𝐝𝐞𝐨 𝐃𝐚𝐳𝐞 ✓

By TheEnigmaticJesse

Why don't you believe?" I ask whilst clenching the cross necklace that laid around my neck. "God has the abil... More

Character Aesthetics
"Don't Tell Me I'll Be Fine,"
"Till Thee End Of The Line"
"He's Canceled"
"Why Don't You Believe? "
"Your company is peace in a world of chaos"
"If These Creeps Want A Fight, I'll Bring A War"
"Feel It With Our Hearts."
"Tonight Is Just The Beginning"
"Let's Get Tattoos"
"Welcome To New York"
"Alls Fair In Love And War"
"The Holy Trinity"
"State Of Numbness"
Wildflowers
Holy Demons
The Rodeo
Ride 'em Cowgirl
Almost Human
"Are You Ready For Us?"
Alliances
"I Guess They're Endgame"
Neither Of Us
The Kiss Of A Lifetime

"Get Over Here And Give Me A Hug."

580 35 20
By TheEnigmaticJesse

Stop fussing, you look beautiful.”

“Are you sure? This is the first time I’m wearing a flannel and it’s not even mine.”

“Well my shirt looks great on you. A little big but not everyone can have these muscles.” Holden jokes as he flexes his biceps.

“I bet I could still take you down.”

“Do you really think your fancy goat yoga is a match for my years of physical labour at the ranch honey? Speaking of the ranch, I want to take you there this weekend. They just broke a new set of horses which means they’re ready to ride.”

“I’ve never been horse riding before. What if I’m ejected from my seat and land on my ass?”

“Firstly it’s called a saddle and secondly I’ll be there to catch you so really there’s nothing to be afraid of. Pro tip horses love sugar, so just bring along a few cubes and you’ll have a loyal steed.”

“Does that tip apply to humans as well?”

The only people our loyalty will never waver from is ourselves.”

3 months later

Addison’s p.o.v

Back in New York, ballet was my life, the auditorium and dance stage, my safe space. I attended the best workshops, had world class coaches and I knew exactly what I wanted my future to look like but now I’m not so sure that’s attainable. 

“What’s wrong sweetheart?” My father asked, concerned about the perplexed look on my face.

“I got an email from Julliard. They want me to send in an audition tape by September but I haven’t danced since we moved here. Where am I going to find a place to practice or coach in this town?”

“We’ll search the surrounding areas for a ballet instructor and I’m sure I can pursued Principal Walker to let you practice in the school gymnasium after hours. We will make this work Addy, never give up on your dreams.”

I smiled at my father’s comforting words. Our relationship has slowly been recovering these past few months and after a long time I actually feel like I have a parent who cares.

“Is Holden still coming over for dinner tonight?”

Our conversation was interrupted by the sound of my ringing phone.

“I don’t recognise this number.”

“Answer it, it might be important.”

And so I did. The next few minutes felt unreal as the colour from my face drained and panic set in my voice. It was Grace on the other end of the call delivering me the news of Holden’s hospitalisation.

“I’m on my way.” 

I picked up my keys without delay and bolted out of the front door, leaving behind my confused father. Questions clouded my mind as I tried to pray. How did this happen? Why did this happen? Please let him be okay.

Although Holden and I were friends, there was obviously something much deeper going on in our relationship but neither of us have acted on it. Sure there has been random flirting and times I’ve fell asleep on his shoulder whilst watching corny movies but some lines weren’t meant to be crossed, at least not just yet.

End of p.o.v

Plano, Texas. 13 miles from McKinney

Saint General Hospital

“He has a mild concussion and bruising on the upper torso along with his broken hand but other than that Mr. Daze has a clean bill of health. We want to keep him overnight for observation just as a precautionary measure.”

“Thank you Doctor.”

“I know what you’re going to say Grace but can it wait? My head feels like a tumbleweed been tossed around in the wind.”

“Good and you will hear what I have to say. I’ve called your uncle and he’s on his way back home. If this is what you want to keep on doing, go ahead but don’t expect us to watch you throw your life away.”

So you think that’s what my dad did? Threw his life away?”

“I think he choose been Domador de toros over been a good father.”

Get out Grace.”

“I called Addison, she’s on her way.”

Holden’s p.o.v

At this point in my bull riding career, pain is something I’ve gotten used to. It’s a risk I’m willing to take to achieve the high I get when been in control of such a majestic beast, even if it lasts a few moments.

In a way I find this symbolic, yes I feel closer to my father and all our memories together but also if I’m able to oppress something so chaotic such as a raging bull, what are life’s challenges in comparison?

I respect Grace and understand she is the only mother figure Chris and I have around but when she started speaking ill of my father something within me snapped.

The whole situation around my parent’s deaths still felt raw to me, maybe because I didn’t have time to mourn properly. I had a little brother who needed me and that seemed way more important than shedding tears.

Okay just breathe Holden, find your happy place. Funny how quick my mind wondered over to Addison. Her in my truck, singing along to the radio whilst we drove around town seemed as close as I can get to heaven without actually dying.

I’ve watched her bloom these past few months and find her place in our small town, I’m just glad she knows that place is with me even though neither of us dare to say anything.

End of p.o.v

Outside the hospital entrance

“Grace, I got here as soon as I could. How is he? Why aren’t you with him?”

“Relax doll. Holden is alright. I knew you would be showing up around now so I wanted to give you two some space. He’s in room 214.”

“Thank you.” Addison hugged Grace, it was something they both seemingly needed.

Room 214

“I’m glad to see you’re not too injured, now I won’t feel guilty for killing you.”

Get over here and give me a hug.”

Addison did just that, running into Holden’s open arms and gently holding him for a few minutes before letting him go.

“You had me worried. How did this happen? Are you hurt anywhere else?”

Easy slow down, I have a concussion. It doesn’t matter how it happened, I’m going to be just fine.”

“That’s it. I’ve given you time and space to tell me what’s been going on but you keep brushing it off. Do you think I don’t notice your bruises or the way you flinch sometimes when we hug? You can’t tell me all this happens at the ranch.”

“Please understand that I’m not ready to share this part of my life with you so can you please respect that?”

“You’re not ready or you don’t trust me?”

Honey.” Holden reaches out for Addison’s arm but she moves it away.

“You want me close but on your terms. I get that I’m just your friend but I care for you on a way deeper level and can’t keep seeing you in pain.”

You’re more than just a friend to me and you know it. I just don’t want to lose you.”

“Carry on like this and you definitely will. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Addy wait.”

But it was too late, she had already left the room.

A 20 minute drive later and Addison was back at home. All she wanted to do was crawl into bed and hope for a better tomorrow but it was 3pm and the day was far from over.

*Phone notification sound*

'Ask your father if the devil can be retributed. Nothing is as it seems Addy. The past can't be run from.'

Addison wondered about this mysterious message from an unknown number. Was it a prank or were there other people keeping secrets from her?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.1M 1.3M 70
after a prank gone terribly wrong, hayden jones is sent across country to caldwell academy, a school for the bitchy, the dangerous and the rebellious...
37.8M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...
4.8M 255K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
13.6M 674K 191
Ara, the only woman left alive after a plague, is searching for a way to save humanity. She thinks there isn't a man she can trust, until she meets K...