Hikayat ✔

By AJawaid

Hikayat (Completed✔) 'It's better to fight for what you love than stay silent and regret forever. But if who... More

You Will Be Missed
New Cover
Authors Note
Character Aesthetics (or whatever they call it 😂)
Character Aesthetics (New)
Prologue
Chapter. 1
Chap. 2
Chap. 3
Chap. 4
Chap. 5
Chap. 6
Chap. 7
Chap. 8
Chap. 9
Chap. 10
Chap. 11
Chap. 12
Chap. 13
Chap. 14
Chap. 15
Chap. 16
Chap. 17
Chap. 18
Chap. 19
Chap. 20
Chap. 21
Chap. 22
Chap. 23
Chap. 24
Chap. 25
Chap. 26
Chap. 27
Chap. 28
chap. 29
Chap. 29 (part 2)
Chap. 30
Chap. 31
Chap. 33
Chap. 34
Chap. 35
Chap. 36
Chap. 36 (Part 2)
Chap. 37
Chap. 37 (Part 2)
Chap. 38
Chap. 38 (part 2)
Chap. 39
Chap. 40
Chap. 41
Chap. 41 (part2)
Chap. 42
Chap. 43
Chap. 44
Chap. 45
Chap. 46
Chap. 47
Chap. 48
Chap. 49
Chap. 50
Chap. 51
Chap. 52
Chap. 53
Chap. 54
Chap. 54 (part-2)
Chap. 55
Epilogue
Maryum & Imaad one shot (Bonus #1)
Bonus Chapter #2

Chap. 32

1.6K 185 176
By AJawaid

Airra puffed up her hair and pouted her lips. Then she turned her head scrutinizing her appearance left to right for the hundredth time before pursing her lips and nodding.

Even after that, as she left her room to present herself in front of her mother, a wave of insecurity passed over her.

She tightened her fist, strengthening herself.

"Mama?" Airaa knocked on her mother's door, softly. Then pushed it open.

Fatima Kamran turned away from her reflection and stared at her daughter with narrowed eyes.

Impeccably dressed in a gorgeous black sari, that hugged her form perfectly, adorned in glimmering diamonds with her make up excusite, giving her a sharper, regal look, Fatima Kamran looked every bit as the ideal woman Airaa wanted to be.

She gulped walking closer, wishing she could be more like her mother but she could never do anything right.

"Is this.. Is this f..fine..?" She asked her mother, hating the uncontrollable stammer of her tongue. It came about unexpectedly when she got truly scared or nervous. When she was little she'd completely stop talking when this happened but now she tried her best to speak slow and keep it away.

Her mother's cold fingers pulled on her collar and straightened the front.

"Hmm...." sharp eyes inspected her make up and jewellery, "Yes, it's fine." She patted her shoulder and turned back to the mirror setting her pleats.

No, 'MashaAllah bete.'

No, 'Ahaa, meri beti kitni pyari lag rahi hai.'

Of course not, this was Fatima Kamran not Hafsa Abdullah. Beauty was secondary to perfection. So she focused on perfection. Noticed everything keenly and never smiled more than necessary.

Still, the approval made her heart beat evenly again.

Airaa sighed and gave her a small smile, "Okay, then I'll go check on the cake." she informed.

Fatima rolled her eyes. "I don't even know why you have to bake it yourself. Just a waste of time. You'll have chefs for you—"

Airra sucked in a breath, this wasn't the first time she was hearing this, "I wanted to mama." She spoke softly.

"Jani, why? This wasn't what was in my mind when I allowed you to learn baking. I just thought you wanted to learn a new skill, that's it. Not for you to make a habit of it. I am not going to tell the guests my daughter likes cooking and baking, like a regular middle-class girl, who has nothing more to do other than learn new dishes in hopes of getting a good husband. That's not my daughter. You're Airaa not Hania, V—"

"Mama—" she spoke up before Fatima could complete. Just that name got her uneasy.

Fatima raised a brow and she let out a soft breath deflating a little, "You don't have to let anyone know... That's not why I do it—"

"Then why?" She repeated confused.

If she was anybody else perhaps she would have cried in that moment. Her mother couldn't understand, couldn't grasp the simple concept that her daughter enjoyed cooking and baking, just because it was too typical of a hobby and Airaa had to be unique.

Clenching her jaw, she smiled and shrugged. Unable to reply.

Fatima turned away from the mirror, putting her hands on both of her shoulders and made Airaa look into her eyes, "You know, I love you baby. Hmm? And your father and I, we only want the best for our daughter. You're not an Ordinary girl, Airaa. You're unique. Haina?"

Our daughter.

Like she was an only child.

It was supposed to be that way, and Fatima kept on forgetting she had to mention Aylaa too. It hurt Airaa but she never argued or talked back with her parents.

"Yeah. I know." She nodded and her mother patted her cheeks lightly.

"Okay, chalo jaou. And please! Airaa," she held a hand as if just remembering, "check on Aylaa. Make sure she dresses properly and pleasee tell her not to embarrass us today. Bohat important dinner hai."

Airaa sucked in a sharp breath and nodded before leaving.

***

Walking up to the kitchen, she saw Shaista assembling everything like she ordered then moved to the cake. Folding her sleeves up, she added the final touches to her creamy red velvet and dusting her hands inspected everything once more.

"Bss... Sab ready ho gaya hai. Yaad rakhna pehley tea trolley pe chai serve karni hai, Peanuts or Nimko ke sath. Cake mat laa rakh dena woh meethey main nikalna."

"Ji, Madam.. mujhe yaad hai." Shaista, the cook nodded.

Airaa blew out a long breath through her nose, and ran her fingers over her hair before nodding, "Theek hai. Ab woh aney hi waley honge. Bell ka khayal rakhna, main Aylaa ko dekh ker ati hun." She said and left the kitchen for Aylaa's room.

***

Airaa entered without knocking and found Aylaa, hands on her hips, checking her fit in the mirror.

She was still upset but Airaa knew Aylaa couldn't exactly stay mad for very long.

*Ahem*

She cleared her throat to get her sister's attention and came to perch upon her bed.

"Uff! Aaj toh koi.. sahi main bohat hot lag raha hai.." Airaa joked in a sultry voice, leaning back on her hands the way Aylaa always did with her. Tried.

Aylaa looked up from the dressing and met Airaa's eyes in the mirror. When she raised her brows scrunching her nose, Airaa cringed, knowing her efforts were in vain. The attitude was horribly fake on her.

Aylaa smiled though, so mission accomplished.

"Bohat hi buri koshish thi." She shook her head, "Aap per woh dictator style ke angry lines hi suit kartey hain. So stick to your style."

"Whatever!" Airaa huffed.

"And we both know yahan pe bss ek hi bandi hot lag rhi hai." She said it so casually that Airaa laughed.

A bell-like sound rang in the air, so delicate that anyone would be surprised it was Airaa's.

Aylaa smiled wider.

"Mujhe compliments dene ke liye Haider Abdullah moujud hain. Main picture behj chuki, and humney call bhi ki. Aap ki behen bohat fast hai." She winked, a soft red tint coloring her cheeks. Aylaa looked every bit like the girl head over heels in love with her man, which she was.

Suddenly Airaa felt lost.

Surprised by Aylaa's response, she bit her lip, "Aylaa... Itnaa.. bhi free mat ho.. As in thora... Thora distance rakha karo. Tumheyn pata hai na Mama ne kiya kaha tha.. usko sir pe nhi charhana—"

A sudden fear crept up in Airaa's heart. What if Aylaa and Haider don't end up together, like her mother said. What if Haider changed, and her sister ended up heartbroken.

Why should he be trusted so much? Just because he was their cousin?

No one should be trusted too much.

Aylaa would have been offended, if it had been anyone other than Airaa who said something like that.

For Airaa she only sighed shaking her head. The girl was so much under the influence of her parents that nothing Aylaa could say would change her mind.

"Aapi, again with this? Aap ko pata hai na mujhe nhi acha lagta Haidar ko leke behes karna? Or mere liye tension kyun letin hain? Don't you trust me? He can't make me do anything I don't want to! And hum mature adults hain, koi aysi waisy baat nhi hui kabhi. It's Haider Abdullah! Hafsa phuppo ki tarbiyat! Main uski mohabbat hi nhi, uske khandan ki izzat bhi hun. Woh kabhi aysa kuch nhi karey ga jiss ki wajah se Hafsa Phuppo ko sharmindagi uthana parey." Aylaa stated with confidence.

Airaa felt like her stomach just crawled to her throat. She clenched her teeth hard.

Aylaa was so naive. It had hardly been a year to their engagement and he had taken over her senses.

It made no sense to Airaa.

"Aylaa please, izzat, mohabbat, yeh sab cringe batein mujhe nhi bataya karo. All I know is that he's just another 20 year old guy. And all 20 year olds have the same kind of mind. Usko apni pictures mat behja karo. You should be careful! What if he forwarded it—"

"Aapi! Please, I don't wanna fight with you so please! Yeh topic yahin khatam kar den." Aylaa held up a hand, the tension between them becoming palpable almost.

Airaa grit her teeth.

"Aap ko kabhi meri baat samjh nhi ati, because aap feelings ko samjhnaa hi nhi chahti. Har kisi ko ek hi lense se dekhtey hain. Waisay jaisay Mama baba dekhtey hain. Apni toh koi soch hai hi nhi aapki."

"Enough, Aylaa!" Airaa stood up, speaking through gritted teeth, "Mama baba bilkul sahi judge kartey hain logon ko. Practically sochtey hain. Har waqt emotions—"

She scoffed and pressed a hand on her heart speaking with a flourish, "Yeh bhi koi cheez hai, Aapi! Iss ko bhi kuch feel hota hai! We're not made out of stone!!"

"I never said—"

"You don't have to say it! Your attitude is enough! You think Haider can hurt me? He loves me, Aapi! Or jab aap kisi se pyaar kartey hain na toh usko hurt nhi kar saktey. Or Haider ki tarbiyat Hafsa phuppo ne ki hai. Humarey maa baap ne nhi. Woh khud se pehle dusron ka khayal karta hai!" She said the last line bitterly.

Airaa's hands fisted on her side, "Tum ko har waqt apney mama baba hi burey lagty hain. Kabhi dekha hai humarey or baqi sab ke life style main kitna farq hai? Its because of our Mama Baba! Because they always worked practically. They didn't let emotions over-rule their better—"

"Haan! Iss hi liye they never had time for me! I'm an extra burden for their small attention span and their love, right? The glitch in their perfect family plan?"

Airaa clenched her jaw, looking away sharply.

"Meri maa ne mujhe kabhi khana nhi khilaya jaisay Hafsa phuppo khilati hain! Baba ne kabhi mere saath uss tarah time spend nhi kiya jaisay Abdullah phuppa kartey they! Ghar per toh baaghney dourne per bhi paabandi hai! Jaisay hum insan nhi robots hon!" Her voice cracked, eyes glistening and yet nothing could lessen her anger.

"Sirf dusron ke agey Happy Family bante hain hum!!" She said bitterly.

"Ahista bolo, Aylaa." Airaa hissed, expression tensed.

Aylaa laughed, brokenly and Airaa felt the urge to hug her close but stood still.

"You know what?" She hissed, "I hate this freaking life! Hate living here.  Mujhe Haider wali life chahiye, Aapi! Sakoon chahiye! Ghar chahiye. Jahan main jab chahun, jitna chahun, hans saktin hun! Jahan mere paas baat kar ne ke liye log hon! Jahan I can be myself without embarrassing anyone."

Aylaa stopped fighting tears and breathed in, "Yahan pe mera saans band hota hai ab! Even Vania had a better life—"

"Don't!" Airaa felt like someone squeezed her heart, and she held up a warning finger, "Don't take her name!" She seethed and her stomach churned as she swallowed back her own angry tears.

Every word coming from Aylaa's mouth was the truth, that slashed upon her heart and yet she would never accept defeat.

"You are a hundred times better than her! Aylaa kya ho gaya hai tumheyn?"

"Nobody should live the way we do!" Aylaa was breathing hard, her chin wobbled but she refused to back down.

Airaa's heart pained to see her sister like this. She loved Aylaa more than anything in the whole world. But she could never agree with her.

She opened her mouth to argue but a knock sounded cutting them off.

"Ji?" Airaa questioned and Aylaa quickly went to the mirror to clear away any trace of her tears, fixing the creases in her makeup.

"Madam.. mehmaan agaye! Sir aap dono ko nichey bula rahayn hain." Anita informed them.

"Hum aa raheyn hain." Airaa nodded.

She looked at Aylaa and signaled with her eyes. No more drama.

Aylaa rolled her eyes, "Relax. I get you. Put on mask Aylaa. You love your parents, you love your life. You're in this family, act your part." She scoffed, "Who cares if you're the unwanted child. Act like you're soo loved!"

Airaa grit her teeth and put on her happy mask giving her sister a fame smile before getting out of her room leaving Airaa behind.

Airaa took a few seconds to compose herself, her heart beating fast after the fight with Aylaa.

'Mujhe sakoon chahiye!!'

She released her breath in a shaky exhale. Then turned to the mirror and stared into her mossy green eyes.

'You're Airaa Kamran! You're strong! You're a bitch! You're a bloody queen! People worship you! You're their f*cking nightmare! Nothing is ever gonna bring you down! You don't lose!'

She was actually telling herself 'Don't be afraid! What Aylaa says is not true. You're a happy family.'

After another deep inhale, she left the room and royally began to glide down the stairs. Head high, neck arched, eyes sharp, sporting her blinding smile.

A chorus of voices resounded from the hallway, indicating where the guests were.

Airaa knew it was going to be a 56 year old man along with his family. Pakistani but lived in New york, owning a grand enterprise he started some 30 years ago. He would be signing an important business deal with his father, but before that he has to be charmed by their extravagant display of luxury. He had to see Kamran Hussain was a man of class.

She entered the foyer about to greet them when her heel stuck in the side of her dress. Airaa looked down and bent slightly at the waist to pull it free but kept walking.

"Assalam—" She looked up and the breath caught in her throat.

'What the hell?!!'

Strong hands were choking her blue. Her heart thumped so loud she could hear it in her ears and a sick feeling rose up in the pit of her stomach, like any moment she'd throw up.

Her feet stumbled and she would have found herself sprawled face first on the ground, if he hadn't acted fast, catching her in his strong grip.

Airaa stared into the deep pools of caramels she met every day in university. Shock and surprise coating her face.

'This was not possible!!!'

The very familiar feel of his hands around her waist jostled her back to reality and she blinked stepping away. But was unable to look away from his face.

He felt just as surprised because he stared back at her with the exact same expression.

"Airaa! Are you alright, jani?" Came the suddenly sugary-sweet voice of her mother.

She straightened up and cleared her throat, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear, and put a respctable distance between them.

"Yeah! I.. I'm...fine. *Ahem*" She tried to keep her voice steady but it came out impossibly weak.

Her father smiled calmly, "Amir Sahab, this is my daughter, Airaa." Her father proudly gestured towards her and she smiled.

"Airaa beta, this is Amir Sikander and his wife Miraal Alam."

"Assalamualikum." Airaa said and stepped forward to shake his hand.

Talk about aging like a fine wine. The man was in his best shape, handsomely sporting a light salt and pepper beard, dressed in a black suit definitely designer wear, and black leather shoes.

The woman next to him, wore an emerald green, silk A-line shirt and culottes. Her neck, hands and ears adorned with matching emeralds and a singular diamond ring on her ring finger. Her hair was done up in a tight bun, with soft curls framing her face and her eyes the exact shade of caramel she knew very well on someone else.

Airaa stepped forward on wobbly legs and put her arms around her, air kissing her cheeks. "Assalamualaikum, so nice to meet you."

"Aww. WalaikumSalam, dear." Miraal smiled at Mr. Kamran.

"You have such beautiful daughters Kamran!" She said in a delighted tone that Airaa's mother used infront of others when she praised someone, 'Ohh Mashaallah! You are soo beautiful!'

She never truly meant it and Airaa wasn't sure how much this woman meant her words either.

She smiled anyway and so did Aylaa.

And then her father gestured to the last person she wanted to be introduced to. Her breathing rose and she clenched her jaw tight. Her heart thudded against the bounds of her rib cage and she bit her lower lip hard.

Their eyes met but he was already staring at her. A rush of heat ran through her body and her stomach heaved again.

He visibly swallowed, muscles tensed, a vein popping out on his neck and he pulled his collar just a little.

He was dressed as immaculately as the rest of his family. Gray suit, tailored to perfection, hugging his thick masculine arms and broad shoulders. His white undershirt, neatly tucked in and tight on his chest. A matching silk gray tie complimenting his look, clipped in place with an expensive silver pin. His hair was gelled up neatly in a quiff that brought more attention to his square face and suddenly his jaw looked even more sharper.

"Yeh inka beta hai, Ayaan." Her father said in that same jovial tone and Airaa grit her teeth tighter as she looked back into Ayaan's caramel eyes, trying hard to school her anger.

It was undoubtedly the same loser who pretended to be a pauper at school. But he was actually a prince?! An heir to a billion dollar enterprise?! With his family settled in America?!!

She wanted to ask him if this was all a sick joke he was playing on her as revenge. If this was a continuation of a grand evil scheme he devised.

*Ahem*

Ayaan cleared his throat and extended his hand.

"Pleased to meet you."

She gave him an 'Are you f*ucking kidding me' look. But then her mother cleared her throat and reminded her of their audience and Ayaan's hanging hand.

Despite hating the idea of touching him, she swallowed and grabbed his hand, "The pleasure's ours." Fighting to keep her voice even.

Sparks of energy chased each other down her spine and Airaa quickly let go of his hand, looking away.

"Let's go in, please after you.." Kamran smiled guiding them to the drawing.

"God, I love your Saari, Mrs. Kamran. Who is this?"

"Oh it's just Maria.B. I didn't want to do anything too heavy tonight so I stuck with saari."

"Very elegant. I love this fabric."

"Mhmm.. it was from the latest line, I had my friend get it for me before Maria even launched it in the market. Warna you know how everyone ends up buying the same."

"Of course! Of course." Miraal huffed, thinking of the women who love copying her style and Fatima shook her head.

The men were already seated and the women carried on the vain conversation as they walked in.

Airaa heard her mother and Miraal Aunty, apparently Ayaan's mother, talk but her attention kept shifting to the guy silently taking seat on a single sofa.

Were they supposed to tell everyone they knew each other?

If so, what would she even tell? I hate his guts and promised to make his life hell by any means I saw fit? And he acted like he was a poor boy in school hating the elite kids, when he was in fact.. one of them?

Gritting her teeth Airaa walked behind everyone. But just before she crossed the threshold Aylaa grabbed her arms stopping her and pulling her back.

Airaa hastily cast a glance at the door but nobody saw them.

"Kyaa hua, Aylaa?" she hissed.

"Ayaan??" Aylaa questioned. "Is this... Yeh wohi toh nhi? Your classmate?"

Shock sealed Airaa's lips.

'Damn it! How did she guess?'

She shook her head scrambling for an excuse, "I am.. *Ahem* I'm not sure." she lied.

Aylaa frowned, "Huh?"

She wanted to ask more but her mother called them.

"Girls, What are you doing? It's rude to talk in private when there are guests present! Andar aa ke betho." she hissed coming near them and ushered them inside with a fake smile.

Airaa cleared her throat sitting down and her gaze met Ayaan's.

They kept eye contact, challenging the other to blink first when her father interrupted the battle by coming in between.

Airaa felt like the current supply just got cut off and she was freed from his unwavering gaze.

She exhaled, her fists curling in.

***

After what felt like hours of listening to their parents talk about business,  money and politics, the 3 children in the room were finally acknowledged.

"So Aylaa, what do you do?"
Miraal asked Aylaa.

Aylaa looked up from her phone surprised she was the first one they asked when it was always Airaa who was acknowledged first.

"Nothing much." She shrugged. Miraal and Amir frowned at her answer and Airaa squeezed her eyes close.

Her mother coughed and leaned forward, "Actually she just finished her A-levels recently. So aaj kal free hoti hai." She laughed lightly.

Kamran nodded in agreement, pursing his lips.

Airaa tilted her head, pleading Aylaa silently to not make a scene.

"Oh that's really nice! Complete ho gaya?" Amir Sikandar asked.

"Ji." Aylaa smiled.

"So how'd it go? What grades did you get?" Miraal raised her brows.

Airaa clenched her jaw and suddenly the whole room seemed to shrink. She hated it when people asked Aylaa this question.

Instantly she understood what Ayaan's parents were like.

She saw her parents warn Aylaa through their eyes but she paid no heed, as usual.

Aylaa wouldn't lie, Airaa knew that. No matter how difficult it would get for her, she wouldn't lie.

"I got all C's. I took up pure sciences because of Mama Baba but I really hated them. I still gave the papers though and I am proud of my grades because I really worked hard for them."

Airaa swallowed closing her eyes. 'Shit Aylaa!!! Don't!'

"But you know everyone's not cut out for sciences."

Miraal gave her sister that sad, pitiful kind of look that Airaa hated most.

"Hmm. That's okay. Sab ke liye easy nhi hota, I understand."

'Some people are slow, some people are less intelligent.'

Said Miraal's gaze.

'You are some people.'

Aylaa remained unaffected.

Her parents' face flushed red but they schooled their expressions.

"My Ayaan had a distinction in Physics, both in his O-level and A-levels. The rest were A's and A*s as well." She smiled proudly, chest puffing out.

Kamran and Fatima gave her a tight smile before Fatima pointed at Airaa, "That's amazing. Airaa also had an A* in physics. And a world distinction in Biology. She was also top in Karachi in Chemistry and Political Science. Airaa ne A-levels main Pure sciences ke sath Political science diya tha. And her teachers were all like she shouldn't burden herself so much.. she might ruin her grades, but my girl did it."

There was a tense silence for a second before Ayaan spoke up, surprising Airaa. Her eyes flashed to his face that stared at Aylaa smiling.

"Hard work is the key to success. Grades important nhi hotey yar, learning important hai. Relax and enjoy the ride."

His tone wasn't one that said, 'You little loser what more could you do in life?'

For a distinction holder he could have used that moment to boast about himself, but he seemed like he could care less about the achievements.

Aylaa gave him a grateful smile and answered. While Airaa just stared at how his caramel eyes smiled with sincerity under the glimmering lights of their chandelier.

Her heart did a soft somersault in her chest, and she had to remind herself who he was.

Amir Sikandar scoffed at his son, "Tum sab ko ayse mashwarey do. Taa ke tumhari time waste karna seekh jayen." He stated sharply.

Ayaan lowered his head, but Airaa caught how he rolled his eyes.

"Aap bataou, Airaa bete. What are you doing?" He looked at Airaa.

"I am in my 5th year of MBBS at Aga Khan." She stated and watched how their eyes widened with surprise and her parents now grinned a satisfied grin.

She was their pride.

This was what she was best at.

"Oh what a surprise!" Miraal exclaimed suddenly, "Ayaan bhi Agha Khan main hain. In fact he's in his last year too!" Amir Sikandar's face looked sour at the mention and Kamran frowned in surprise.

Everyone looked towards them shocked and they tensed up.

"Airaa topped the AKU entrance exam. She's a brilliant girl." Fatima piped in quickly setting her daughter up on a pedestal. Airaa was her most prized trophy and that they loved to show off to people.

Ayaan's parents cleared their throat and sat back more than impressed.

"Mashaallah! That's amazing." Miraal said.

Aylaa held a stony smile, remaining silent. No one cared to ask about her interests or college plans anymore. Her eyes found Ayaan's and he gave her an understanding nod. She frowned, her eyes scanning his face for any trace of a lie, but found none.

Her face relaxed, perhaps Ayaan was different from his parents she mused.

"Ayaan MBBS kar rahay ho aap?" Kamran voiced his thoughts, surprised. "Not business?"

He opened his mouth to reply and his father laughed at that exact moment.

"You know kids these days, Kamran. Time or paisay ki koi value nhi hai in ke agay. You got lucky with your daughter. Humarey waley ko time zaya karne se fursat miley toh business main kuch dil lagayen na. Abhi toh paisay mil jatey hain. Andaza nhi hai inheyn zindagi ki haqiqaton ka." Ayaan let out a breath and met his father's gaze but Amir Sikandar paid him no heed.

"Kya banna hai isko?" He pretended to ask his wife then scoffed, "Psycho—nhi psychiatrist. Pagalon ka ilaaj karna chahtey hain sahab." He mocked. Miraal shifted in her seat tilting her head to signal her husband to stop before smiling lightly at Kamran and Fatima.

Before Kamran could say something or ask another uncomfortable question Aylaa saved Ayaan by asking.

"So you guys know each other pehley se, that means?" She looked between Airaa and Ayaan.

Airaa wanted to glare at Aylaa for asking that even though she had already given her an to that.

Ayaan spoke first, "Yeah... *Ahem*.. Your face does look familiar."

Airaa grit her teeth smiling fake.

Aylaa frowned at his answer. "Toh aap log jaantey nhi hain ek dusrey ko? You're not friends?"

"Not.. Really." Ayaan lifted a shoulder.

Airaa narrowed her eyes at him and she saw his parents squirm in their seats. As much she would love to say out loud how their son acted like the poor boy that he clearly was not and rode a rusty old bike to University, embarrassing their name.

She didn't.

Only because of how he treated Aylaa, she didn't say any of what she actually wanted to, and Ayaan was expecting her to.

"No... Aylaa we have a big class. There's lots of people in our batch. We can't know everyone." Airaa gave her the smile that said 'drop it now!' and Aylaa deflated.

Ayaan was surprised by Airaa's answer but didn't comment further.

"I think we baqi batein dinner table pe kartey hain.. Please.." Fatima stood up, guiding them to the dining room.

***

"Aunty! This Cake and that biryani! It's exceptional! Honestly, your chef's amazing." Ayaan exclaimed as he took a spoonful of his second helping and Airaa stared in surprise wondering how he managed to keep his stomach flat.

He was back to his usual goofy and laid back self. As laid back as he could get with his parents by his side. And it was getting on Airaa's nerves.

"Aunty, please try some." Aylaa offered smiling proudly.

Even if her mother wouldn't announce it, she was glad to see her sister's work being praised.

"Oh no, darling, thank you. But I'm on a diet. I'll just have green tea now."

She fought the urge to roll her eyes and smiled sitting back, praying in her heart for this dinner to be over soon.

"I'll have it." Ayaan grinned at her shamelessly and Aylaa returned the favour.

Then after handing him his third piece, she turned her head and winked at Airaa.

Miraal glared at her son and cleared her throat lightly.

Airaa took in a deep breath, her patience hanging by a thread as she glared at Ayaan who was busy inhaling her cake.

Slipping her hands under the table, she typed.

Laraka Billi:
"Bss kardo ab plate bhi khao ge! Hanthi jaisa pait hai, kab se bhar hi nhi raha!"

Ayaan's phone pinged and he took a break to glance at it. The corner of his lips lifted up in a crooked smile and he met her gaze with a challenge.

"I think I didn't try the gulab jamun. Aylaa, please can you.."

"Ji ji, of course!"

If looks could kill Ayaan would be 6 feet under the ground.

Miraal lowered her head and mumbled, "Ayaan, bss bhi karo.." feeling embarrassed by her son eating like a cow.

Airaa on the other hand wanted to get him alone so she could get the truth out of him but for that dinner needed to be over.

Ayaan remained unfazed enjoying his dinner without a care in the world.

***

It ended, thankfully without any more drama.

Kamran Hussain and Amir Sikander walked away to their study to discuss the business, while the two women sat in the living room discussing unsubstantial nonsense, about the last art exhibition and charity gala and gossip.

Aylaa, Ayaan and Airaa were left alone to entertain each other.

"Airaa Aylaa, why don't you give Ayaan a house tour? Keep him company." Kamran said before leaving.

They smiled, Airaa a forced one, Ayaan a cheeky one, Aylaa a genuinely happy one.

Then pretended to walk up the stairs together and as soon as they were out of ear shot Aylaa gave an exhale of relief.

"Ufff! That was more horrible than my nightmares. I hate my parents."

Airaa gave her an alarmed look.

"Aylaa!!" she hissed and glanced towards the stairs.

Aylaa shrugged and Ayaan nodded "I second that, sister!" He raked a hand through his gelled hair and wiped off invisible sweat from his brows.

Aylaa giggled and Airaa's eyebrows shot up. "Yeh tum keh rahay ho?!"

She couldn't believe the great Ayaan Amir, who would respect even the janitor at school would talk like this about his own parents.

He shrugged, "They're shitty parents so why not?"

She blinked in disbelief.

"I still think you guys know each other....." Aylaa looked between them suspiciously.

"Haan yar. Airaa kabhi kabhi mujhse notes maang leti hai." Ayaan accepted.

Airaa first nodded then whipped her head towards him, "Excuse me, what??!"

Ayaan grinned, "They're better than yours." Making Airaa grit her teeth.

Aylaa smirked catching on to something.

"Alright! It was very nice to meet you Ayaan Bhai! I swear you were the best part of tonight! But now I am done! Drainedd! Completely deflated— "

Ayaan laughed, "You can retire. I don't mind." He told her genuinely.

"Oh My God, you're so nicee!" She grinned at him. Airaa rolled her eyes at the dramatics till Airaa leaned in whispering, "He is a total keeper."

Ayaan chuckled and Airaa fumed.

"Bye, Aylaa! Ab tum so jaou jaa ke." She hissed shoving at her shoulder.

"Allah Hafiz!" Aylaa waved, and ran into her room.

Ayaan now turned to Airaa but before he could say anything she grabbed his hand and pulled him sharply into the room at the other end, probably her own, slamming the door shut.

"You f*cking liar!!!"

_________________________________________

Lahore

Vania and Harris walked side by side vertically on the cemented floor of the terrace.

The night was cool, the February breeze kissing softly upon their cheeks, as the moon smiled from above shining in the fabric of the velvety night sky that glimmered with a thousand stars.

Distant sounds of traffic from the nearby main road, floated in the air. Closer, the crickets chirped in the old neem tree leaning in, from the side of the house.

To an onlooker they would seem like two lovers enjoying the serenity of the night.

However, they knew, it was not so.

Vania rubbed her sweaty palms together, fidgeting with her fingers as beads of nervous sweat formed on her neck, her face flushed red.

She was trying hard to concentrate on her breathing so she wouldn't end up hyperventilating.

But it was damn difficult!!

She could hardly walk straight with him so close beside her, breathing was a next level job.

No matter how hard she tried to pretend it was all very normal, she was unable to make her heart believe it.

Because, when he looked into her eyes, even at a side glance, she felt as if a heated arrow shot her chest and her blood was on fire. She wanted to but couldn't breathe deeply because every time she did, she inhaled more of his scent, it filled her lungs, filled her head as if it had more affinity than oxygen because only his scent filled her head, and she felt dizzy.

If his hand would accidentally brush against hers as they walked, if he cleared his throat or scratched his brow, even at his simple exhale, her heart would flutter and her stomach would turn upside down.

Hopeless, Vania knew she was a hopeless case.

She gulped and stole a glance at him from the corner of her eye. He brought her up to talk, yet had been silently walking beside her since the past few minutes while her mind ran in overdrive.

'Soch kya rha hai yeh??'

Licking her lips she willed herself to talk though previously she had decided to let the silence linger.

Because she was Vania.. When her lips were sealed it felt exactly like if she held her breath too long. Because the need to talk came to her like the need to breathe.

She could take his silence for only so long.

***

Harris knew that.

Three years only changed a person so much.

It was Vania.

Where Harris could stay quiet for as long as it wasn't extremely necessary for him to speak up she could go on talking till it was extremely necessary for her to quiet down.

It was their thing, for as long as he remembered.

He felt no compulsion to fill the silence between them with words because there were already soo many emotions and thoughts that were already occupying it. She always felt the need to voice out everything she felt or thought.

Even in that moment, walking beside her, his heart and mind were full—no brimming— with thoughts and emotions he couldn't bring himself to voice.

Vania was walking beside him!

After 3 years!

3 damned years without her and he missed her every-freaking-passing second, soo damn much she had no idea.

His room, his house, and every other place they had memories of, just living in Karachi became suffocating for him. Like she was there in the air of her beloved city, the place she had been so attached to held signs of her, but not her. It was a living nightmare for Harris.

That was why he couldn't stay back anymore. After Haider's engagement to Aylaa, when the pressure on him to get married just kept increasing, he used that opportunity to escape.

And they all knew it back home. Knew why he left though they pretended to believe his reasons for 'wanting to explore Lahore and sh*t'. His mother wouldn't say it directly. No one would, because they were afraid of his temper, but Harris, felt it, in between conversations, in the silences, in the looks. He also knew he couldn't escape for ever, and sooner or later he'd have to face reality.

But for the moment he was most grateful to God for how his fate turned out and Harris was never going back without her anymore.

He couldn't believe how easily things were falling into place by themselves and it had just been a week since they met.

He thought back to how he had planned life when he came to Lahore. Thought about how he was soo adamant on forgetting her, he even had his mantra created for moments when her thoughts would flood his mind. I hate her... What a joke...

He sighed deeply and noted her from the corner of his eye. Part of him wanted to laugh at her pensive expression and wondered what was going on in her head.

Her eyes slid to him as she discreetly checked him out before dropping her gaze, not knowing she was caught and the need to tease her about it rose up but he waited. Counting seconds in his head till the word vomit came.

One....

Two.....

Three........

"Harris?"

He almost snorted out in laughter but stayed silent.

"Hmm?"

Deep breath, she twisted her fingers together and spoke again.

"Mujhe... Yeh kehna thaa keh.. Keh.. Thank you."

Harris raised a brow.

"Tum ne Khala jaan ka gham halka kar diya, yahan aa ke." Vania swallowed blinking rapidly before looking up at him, "Woh.. Woh tum logon ko bohaat zyada miss karti thin... Even keh... Bohat dafa khwab main Hafsa khala ko dekh kar ro jaya kartin thin. Lekin..." Her voice dropped and she pulled in a breath, "Jab se tum aye ho.. unke chehre per ek sakoon aa gaya hai. She was smiling after so long aaj.... Iss ke liye, Thanks. Unko yeh khushi dene ke liye."

He listened quietly, only nodding once and then stopped, turning to look at her.

Vania didn't meet his eyes but looked out at the horizon. The street light illuminated her face and her gray eyes seemed to reflect the stars.

He felt a small pang at his heart, and his jaw tightened.

"Maniha khala ke liye maine jo kiya woh mera farz tha. Main kisi pe koi ahsaan nhi kar raha yahan aa ke. Iss liye please stop making a saint out of me, Vania. You know very well, main jo bhi karta hun apne dil se karta hun. For me.  I wouldn't do anything that I don't want to, unlike you. Tumhari tarah logon kaa dil rakhney ke liye kuch nhi karta. Woh sab mujhe nhi ata. Yeh mera nature hi nhi hai."

'I'm not like you! You can lie. And I don't. I wouldn't hurt myself or go out of my way to do something for you. Everything I did, was because it's my duty to Faizan Khalu and his family.'

Was what she heard, and it broke her heart a little, but it was true. And Harris never did believe in sugar coating the truth.

His engagement should be enough to get her to wake up from the dream that he was here for her.

She licked her dry lips nodding. But her blood pounded in her ears, the words she wanted to hold back, coming to the tip of her tongue stumbling out before she could stop them.

"I Know. I never doubted your honesty. Main janti hun Faizan Khalu tumharey Baba jaisay they. And I—" she cleared her throat to get rid of the heaviness before continuing, "I know you feel sad about his death."

"Phir bhi tumne mujhe kabhi batane ka nhi socha." He said. His voice lacking expression, but still hitting her like a sharp slap.

Vania pursed her lips and blinked hard.

He turned to the sky, elbows braced against the railing beside her.

Harris sucked in a breath then slowly murmured, "Humne bhi sab ko bohat miss kiya tha. Maniha Khala, Faizan Khalu...."

"Hania ki ruksati waley din Mama bohat ro rahin thin..."

She clenched her jaw tight and swallowed, her mouth going dry.

"Hania, Haidar... maine bhi tumheyn bohat miss kiya.." he tilted his head slightly to face her. His words but a whisper, his voice deep, making the heat pool low in her stomach.

"Tum ne?" Harris asked, tentatively.

He wanted her to say at least something.

'Diary ko itnaa kuch bol sakti hai, mere agaye chup??'

Vania cleared her throat before speaking up, but her voice was still brittle. He was asking the wrong questions. He was asking the difficult questions.

"Hum ne.. *Ahem* hum ne bhi bohat miss kiya sab ko. Hafsa Khala, Hania, Haidar. Zainab or Zeeshan se toh sun hi liya hoga tumne. You're their favourite big brother." Vania shrugged. But her heart beat in her throat and she barely pushed the words out.

Harris sighed.

"I wish Hania ki rukhsati main hoti main." she voiced low, as if she was scared of accepting it to him.

He turned to face her fully, "Bohat royi thi Hania, tumheyn yaad kar ke. She called but— Tumhara number band tha..."

Vania chewed on her cheek, then let out an open mouthed breath. The urge to cry getting bigger as their conversation progressed.

"Khalu jan.. CCU main they uss din. Maine dekhey they calls or messages Hania ke .. But himmat nhi hui meri...baat karne ki.." she took in a shuddering breath and blinked fast as if stopping her tears, "Kyun ke ... Kyun ke dusrey din Khalu jan ka—"

She quickly swiped at the tear that escaped her guard and Harris felt a pang at his own heart.

Without meaning to his hand reached forward to grab hers.

A soft gasp left her lips as she met his eyes surprised.

"Jo kuch ho gaya, Vania... It was nothing less than a nightmare..." He murmured, the warmth of his skin seeping into hers, "Bohat dukh diye pichley waqton ne tum logon ko. Humare liye bhi woh waqt kaatna bohat mushkil thaa— tum sab ke baghair bilkul dil nhi lagta thaa Karachi main.. Lekin ab woh sab bhool jaou.... You need to move on, so that you can help Maniha Khala and Zeeshan, Zainab to move on."

Vania scoffed lightly, "Main bss yahi karne ki koshish kar rhi hun teen saal se, Harris. But asaan nhi hai—"

He leaned forward just a bit staring into her wet eyes, earnestly. "Pehle tum akeli thi, Vania. But ab main hun na? I promise I'm going to support you guys in everything from now on." He shook his head, the heat from his body enveloping her in a warm embrace, "You won't be alone. Ab agey ki zindagi sirf khushiyan hi khushiyan hon gi.... I know bohat bara promise hai... But I swear, main apni puri puri koshish karun ga. Trust me. "

For a few seconds she forgot how to breath, forgot her name, forgot who they were. She saw herself throwing her arms around him and hugging him so tight it'd fix all of her shattered heart and fix all the mistakes of the past. Fix everything. Vania wanted to believe him with all her heart and trust him like he asked her to.

Yet.... She didn't, couldn't.

'Don't make promises you can't keep, Harris.'

Softly, reluctantly, she pulled her hands out of his warm grasp and looked up at him. His chocolaty eyes burning with a sincerity that made her heart jump. Vania looked away.

"Thank you. Tum bohat achey ho, Harris. But you don't have to make any promises."

"I.. I trust you, without them."

Yet you gave up on me. On us.

He wanted to argue but remained silent letting her complete.

"Lekin hum tumhari responsibility nhi hain. Tum jab bhi chaho wapis jaa saktey ho, humeyn koi shikayat nhi hogi tum se.... Apne aap ko kisi mushkil main mat dalna. Humari wajah se over-burden nhi karna khud ko..."

She knew him staying with them would create problems with Airaa... If he told her that is...Even the fact that he may be keeping all this secret, made her feel guilty.

He was her fiance and Vania was standing next to him with less than innocent thoughts roaming around in her head... Letting him hold her hand, letting him see her cry.

This was wrong.

Harris rolled his eyes sucking in an exasperated breath, "Ji. Pata hai bohat strong ho tum. Sab handle kar sakti ho. Or meri toh bilkul zaroorat nhi hai tumheyn." he scoffed.

Vania frowned at his irritated tone of voice.

Why was he offended? She was relieving him of extra burden! Why was he getting mad??

"Please! Khuda ke liye khud ko mujh pe burden samjhna band ker do, Vania. Agar itni hi problem hai mujhse toh seedha seedha keh do, baat ghoomaney ki kya zaroorat hai? Tum boldo keh You don't want me here, toh main chala jaoun ga.. Meri koi jagah toh hai hi nhi tumhari life main ab.. Right?!... Not even as a friend. I can see that. I guess, main hi pagal hun jo ayse faltu main samajh raha tha maybe we could at least be frie—" Harris began turning around and she quickly held up a hand.

"Nhi, mera—" but he didn't give her a chance to complete as he turned his back to her. Shocked by the sudden change in his demeanor Vania scrambled after him.

"Harris? Harris!!" She yelled trying to stop him.

He didn't listen so she grabbed his forearm and came to block his path.

He exhaled through his nostrils and said, "Hutto, Vania.... Soo jao ab jaa ke... Bohat neend aa rahi thi naa tumheyn.."

"Harris... Mera woh matlb nhi thaa! Kyaa hogaya hai tumheyn?!"

"Pagal hun, bol toh diya." He replied sarcastically, his voice dry.

She sighed exasperated.

When did the roles get reversed? Since when was Vania the one offending Harris, and then stopping him and apologizing?

Wow.

He began to side step and she tightened her hold on his bicep, "Harrrris!" she dragged his name out trying to get his attention. But he didn't meet her eyes no matter how hard she tried and being less in height didn't help at all.

"Idher dekho yaarr!!!" thoroughly annoyed by his behavior, she tried shaking him.

"Nhi!" He clicked his tongue and raised his chin higher, "Bss, theek hai... Mujhe pata chal gaya hai tumhari nazar main meri kya auqaat hai— "

"Harris!" she shook his arm with more force, as if that would put some sense into his head, "Kya bakwas kar rahey ho? Tum jaantey ho meri nazar main tumhari kya value hai—"

"Koi value nhi hai, Vania. Ratti baraber importance nhi hai."

"Harris, kisne kaha tumse, huh?! Tum bohat important ho!!"

Harris paused, then lowered his head to meet her eyes.

"Kyaa hogaya tumheyn?!" Her face was red as she reprimanded him with a fervour, "I didn't mean it like that! Tum ayse soch bhi kaisay saktey ho?! Main bss yeh kehna chaah rahi thi keh main koi problem nhi create karna chahti tumhare liye—"

A smile threatened to fight its way onto his lips, yet he pursed them tightly to keep it away, still acting hurt, when his heart was leaping joyously, threatening to break out of his rib cage.

"Toh phir theek hai naa, chala jata hun main." He tried to leave again but she dragged him back and he let her. Coming to stand in front of her again, with a bored sigh.

"Nhi!!!" She cried in frustration.

"Toh kyaa chahti ho tum??" he asked louder.

"Main nhi chahti tum jao! Tum ko samjh nhi ata? I want you to stay!! It means soo much to m—" she corrected quickly, "to us, to have you here! Tum ko idea bhi nhi hai! But humesha ke liye toh nhi ruk sakte naa tum yahan?!" Vania cried out, her eyes moving left and right, trying to catch his gaze and hoping he understood her.

Harris met her eyes finally, and Vania sucked in a sharp breath at the expression burning in his gaze. He took a step forward, leaning closer to her face before murmuring raspily.

"Toh rok lo na, phir. Humesha ke liye."
_________________________________________

Dear readers!
Thank you for reading this chapter! Sorry for the false alarm last night I was saving and pressed publish accidentally then I was like Eeeeeppp!!! And quickly deleted it 😂 Bad scenes.

Okayy I gave more of Airaa and Ayaan because their story needs to unfold. (Sorry you had to attend that awkward as hell dinner😉)
I want my readers to be open minded non-judgmental members of society, who understand that alot of times when you see a bad person.. Its not just because the person is intentionally Bad.... It might be that their upbringing has shaped them that way... So Airaa seems like a similar character but to reach point of redemption we need to get her to realise she is on the wrong track. We'll have to see if she does realise or not....

And Ayaan bhai toh Ameer nikley!!! Oh hoye hoye!!! 😂

Or mera Harris puri koshish kar raha hai bhaii, Vania se confession nikalwa le ga.. magar kabbbb

Point to note is that dono stories simultaneously chal rahin hain, so times are the same in Lahore-Karachi, hope it's not getting confusing.

Do Press the star if you liked. 😁

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

547K 25.1K 42
Book 1 of Ishq Series. || Highest ranking: #1 in Cousins on 30 Aug 2020|| || Highest ranking: #1 in spiritual on 23 March 2021|| ||Highest ranking: #...
1M 12.4K 12
He was aimless, she was determined. He was sharp, she was blunt. He had everything, she lacked most of the things. His nights were sleepless, her nig...
1.4M 47.9K 76
#1-Romedy(11/02/2022) #1-Indian love(21/07/2021) #1-Puppy love(02-5-2021) #8-Romance(29/06/2021) # 9-Awesome(30/3/2021) #5-Tease(30/3/2021) #17-cousi...
215K 12.3K 24
❝ Who knew that her love was just right across the street ❞ Mashal Baig, 22-years-old. Everyone's favourite. A happy go girl. Believes in true love a...